G39 2017-18: Jets at Oilers

The Edmonton Oilers arrive at New Year’s Eve in playoff mode, every game is huge and every loss is a terrible blow. A team with enough talent to win the division is now forced into a hard target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse for two points each night. It’s a hard way to find out the trouble is real. For this Oilers team, passing one club at a time is key and that climb needs to begin tonight.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

LONG DECEMBER

• December 2015: 7-4-1, goal differential -4 (15 points)
  • December 2016: 6-2-4, goal differential +1 (16 points)
  • December 2017: 7-4-1, goal differential +9 (15 points)

G13 in 2015 was a 5-2 loss to the Los Angeles Kings, Trevor Lewis and Dustin Brown with three points each. Last year it was a 3-1 win over those same Kings. It’s just one game but a recovery month with eight wins would be a substantial turn north for a team that took forever to come together.

AFTER 39, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 15-20-3, goal differential -23 (33 points)
  • Oilers 16-17: 19-12-7, goal differential +10 (45 points)
  • Oilers 17-18: 17-18-3, goal differential -6 (37 points)

G39 in 2015 was a 1-0 loss to the Anaheim Ducks, a goal from Ryan Getzlaf the difference. Last year, a 3-1 loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets. A win tonight and this year’s team would be midway between the 2015 team and last year’s 103-point nutcracker.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM DECEMBER

• On the road to: Calgary (Expected: 0-0-1) (Actual: 1-0-0)
  • At home to: Philadelphia (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual: 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: Montreal, Toronto, Columbus (Expected 1-2-0) (Actual 2-1-0)
  • At home to: Nashville (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: Minnesota (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 1-0-0)
  • At home to: San Jose, St. Louis, Montreal (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 3-0-0)
  • On the road to: Winnipeg (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • At home to: Chicago, Winnipeg (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-1)
  • Overall expected result: 5-6-2, 12 points in 13 games
  • Current results: 7-4-1, 15 points in 12 games

A successful month either way, the run after the Philadelphia game (6-2-0) through the Christmas break may end up being the high mark of the season. Oilers have bled a little since.

TYLER BENSON

Benson had another big night (four assists) for the Vancouver Giants last night, now sits at 25gp, 14-23-37 (NHLE: 35 points). As we’ve discussed many times, Benson staying healthy was the number one goal this season. He’s covering that bet and flourishing. A good arrow.

AAPELI RASANEN

Rasanen is a promising prospect, exactly the type who can develop into a useful NHL player. Miles to go but his presence (and success) on a good Finland team indicates he has progressed since draft day.

ONE PIECE AT A TIME

We’re at the end of December, Edmonton is hanging with the playoff teams while also making very little progress in moving up the standings. The Bettman point means tough sledding but that’s the price of gloomy October starts.

Into January, I’ll probably add some draft stuff to the back of the GDT and summaries, and trade options will become more a part of things. Happy New Year, be safe and have fun!

462 Responses to "G39 2017-18: Jets at Oilers"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. SK Oiler Fan says:

Seen this before. Just not sharp all around to start the game and goaltending not good enough to bail them out

2. LMHF#1 says:

Benning needs to sit, I’m surprised they played him tonight. 2-0 and this could be a long night for the home team.

Yep – but any chance the Coach does that?

3. Munny says:

Both goals had multiple culprits Just horrid hockey.

4. Hockey Project says:

Oh man… Benning turned over the puck at the blue line, skated back in, and then gave the puck away AGAIN for the GA?

Ouch.

5. Professor Q says:

Jethro Tull:
    What ya doin?

Diggin’ a hole…..

He’s fixing a divot!

6. finn_fann says:

Benning has regressed from the meat to the bone… I’m really seeing him bad these last couple games. The way he lost the puck there just shouldn’t happen in the NHL.

That said, the Jets have had more active sticks and skates this whole period so far – can’t believe the number of times the Oilers as a team are getting plain beaten to the puck or have their passes picked off.

All we can hope for at this point is that the Jets get complacent with their lead and let us back into this game, cuz’ we certainly aren’t going to force the issue by the looks of it.

7. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

Terrible. Watch LAs Vegas make less mistakes over 60 minutes than the Oil do in 10. Top end talent is moot when a team can leak like this.

8. €v¥£€u§ says:

I just started watching.

Why the hell is Benning in, IMO and I have yet to see Davy this year, Auvitu has played better than Benning.

The Ehlers play they showed before with the puck lost in Bennings feet is something I have seen a lot of with Benning this year. I think he needs time in the AHL, has not played like an NHL defenseman this year. The Wheeler goal was all Benning.

9. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Slepy with some decent work on that shift.

10. LMHF#1 says:

Was Russell just trying to send Ehlers in with that pass?

Holy crap…this talented hockey team can’t play hockey worth a damn.

11. Munny says:

Ridiculous powerplay

12. Hockey Project says:

It’s not up for debate. The Oilers have to get something done on this power play.

13. Pescador says:

SK Oiler Fan:

Not sure what type of goaltending would cover up those mistakes, I don’t think it exists

14. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Awesome… the jets were the team to put us under .500 twice, and now their going to be the team to pretty much seal our fate of no playoffs, and on New Year’s Eve…
    I now officially hate the jets…

15. OilClog says:

2nd pp has much more flow

16. Confused says:

Utter crap.

Can only assume everyone has April holiday plans

17. hunter1909 says:

LMHF#1: Holy crap…this talented hockey team can’t play hockey worth a damn.

I blame the fans.

Despite management’s best efforts to accommodate the fans, they simply won’t let these “special” players get their heads together.

18. SK Oiler Fan says:

Ffs get rid of the PP coach.
    Jets have every zone entry sniffed out before it happens.
    Opposition has too often better prepared this season

19. Gerta Rauss says:

The good news is that it’s not 3-0

20. finn_fann says:

Is it me, or does the team look overcoached? Everyone seems more focused on being in the Right place and making the Right pass, regardless of context and what the other team is doing.

Also, the complete lack of any tape-to-tape passes is getting tiresome to watch. Is winnipeg that good at stifling any open ice, or is the Edmonton game plan to just bounce the puck up the boards and then hope for one or two clear looks at the net? Can definitely say that our speed through the neutral zone is non-existent and our offense seems to be completely reliant on getting the puck back behind the net off the forecheck.

21. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

That power play they relied a bit too much on the point shot, which unless you are one of the very few Shea Weber-types, doesn’t work without deflections or screens, etc.

The Nuge chance was the best play by far, but unfortunately the old Nuge shot came instead of this year’s version.

22. SK Oiler Fan says:

Pescador,

Was a general statement on the 1st period failure this year.
    Lots of teams blow coverage. Sometimes you need your goalie to save the high danger shot early on to keep.your team in the game. Hasn’t happened very often this year

23. Clay says:

I can’t put my finger on it, but for some reason I used to care so much more about this team during the dark decade, and before that during the Weight – Smyth years. I have no idea why, but I would follow them a lot more closely, make time for games, etc. Now, I’ll check the score occasionally, and I rarely watch any more. It’s weird, and I honestly don’t know why I don’t care any more.

24. fishman says:

So we have lots of high end talent, an experienced coaching staff, an owner with deep pockets and we can’t play well enough to be in the top 8 of a 16 team conference??? We look like absolute garbage tonight in a must have game. Basically same team as last year that was awesome.

Any answers? WHAT must they do? Geez none of us want to go through another rebuild.

25. SK Oiler Fan says:

I miss Smytty

26. jake70 says:

This team overachieved in 2016-17 It’s all quite clear to me now (in 2001’s Space Odyssey HAL voice).

27. Pescador says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    Pescador,

Was a general statement on the 1st period failure this year.

Ok, Talbot has been great lately.
    Team defence is more to blame

Ethan Bear scratched in Bakersfield.

29. JD_High says:

So… Davey.

30. LMHF#1 says:

Ethan Bear scratched in Bakersfield.

Looks like they need to fire 2 coaches.

31. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Clay:
    I can’t put my finger on it, but for some reason I used to care so much more about this team during the dark decade, and before that during the Weight – Smyth years.I have no idea why, but I would follow them a lot more closely, make time for games, etc.Now, I’ll check the score occasionally, and I rarely watch any more.It’s weird, and I honestly don’t know why I don’t care any more.

That team had guys you could really love: guys with some skill but a ton of heart.
    Guys like Mike Grier. Todd Marchant. Jason Smith was the epitome of that. Then you had Weight, Smytty, Guerin, etc. And the so-called “soft” players went to high danger areas all the time, like Hemsky getting pulverized over and over.

The team had an identity and never got outworked. Easy to pull for an underdog team like that.

This team on paper should be at the top of the division but just doesn’t bring its best effort consistently.

I don’t know what it is, but I think the Coach may actually have lost the room. For the first time since he arrived I might not mind seeing a change behind the bench. And I tend to give coaches (except Eakins) a lot of rope.

32. Pescador says:

fishman:

Retool on the fly

33. €v¥£€u§ says:

Clay,

Its been the same for me this year, although I did travel to Penticton, but I still havent been as interested as in the past. Not including my 3 three weeks out of the country, I have missed more games and minutes of games than I have in the previous 10 years combined.

Not sure why, but I think a big part has been my frustration with the results and it has become a defense mechanism to protect my television from the verbal abuse and the threats of physical abuse, lol.

Bear apparently dealing with an injury.

35. JD_High says:

Pescador: Retool

Re-Eakins?

36. Crazy Pedestrian says:

jake70:
    This team overachieved in 2016-17It’s all quite clear to me now (in 2001’s Space Odyssey HAL voice).

We were able to tread water (mostly) without the first three things, but in my eyes the dreadful pk seems to be the main culprit behind this year’s regression. Oilers miss Hendricks and pouliot more than we thought they would…

37. Hockey Project says:

Maroon was definitely hit by that stick, and also sold it more than Ricky Steamboat.

38. jtblack says:

Oil have been out of aync since game 2. Not sure why. But they dont have it this year. 🙁

39. jtblack says:

Wonder if its related to his concussion? hope not

40. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Crazy Pedestrian: No, last year, they were healthy from day one, Benning had yet to have a concussion, their pp had way more movement and way less point shots, and their pk had Hendricks and pouliot on it.

While I agree, I do think Talbot was peak Talbot and we couldn’t expect a top 5 goalie performance from him every year. Top 20 definitely, which should be good enough with this team. McDavid was also consistently supernova in the last 35 games, which could still happen this year.

I think that was a 95-99 point team that overachieved a little bit. This team should be a 95 point team ( I did think it was a weaker team on paper than last year, organic development of existing young players aside), but it is playing like an 80 point team.

On the injuries the team was too healthy last year. Could not expect a repeat of that, unfortunately.

41. jake70 says:

29 back on 97s wing?

42. OilClog says:

Mcdavid should have more 3 minute shifts

43. russ99 says:

Why are we so poor in our own building?

What a mess.

44. JD_High says:

Horrawful, shittastic, crapulent.

45. jtblack says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

I think a lot of ppl agree with your Analogy. But nobody can explain why they aren’t playing like a 95 pt team … Frustrating

46. finn_fann says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Last year had more cover for rookies, this year was basically hoping said rookies would all be able to step up to full-time jobs at the same time. To me, this is the biggest change from last year. That and a severely depleted D-core for half the year.

47. thehop says:

russ99,

At this point… I’m looking at the systems and the coaches and wondering at what point Mclellan and his crew of overrated assistants hit the beach.

Sick of the line blender
    Sick of the shit special teams

48. Surrey Oiler says:

Huge wake up call for Chia? What f*** is this? Ppl who pay to come watch deserve better!

49. Surrey Oiler says:

thehop:
    russ99,

Sick of the line blender
    Sick of the shit special teams

Blending lines at this point of the game is so pathetic, clearly not prepared for a team they just played last week! WTF

50. Spooky Lynx says:

russ99:
    Why are we so poor in our own building?

What a mess.

It’s a half baked idea, but it’s been such a strange season that I’m willing to accept a strange answer.

51. finn_fann says:

Sphincter-clenching time…

52. Gerta Rauss says:

Gerta Rauss:
    The good news is that it’s not 3-0

That’s my bad

53. Dicky94 says:

Unbelievable.

54. thehop says:

Ya until Caggulia is playing on the farm.

I’m done. See you next year folks. I’m sick of cheering for the Clevland Browns of the NHL.

Happy New Year.

55. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Almost…almost killed one off and then boom. Might go outside and enjoy the crisp New Year’s morning here now.

56. JD_High says:

Spooky Lynx: I’m willing to accept a strange answer.

Negative fans.

57. Ice Sage says:

I think an Oilerless 2018 resolution is in order! Yech what a debacle of a team.

58. Crazy Pedestrian says:

YAAA! Now we can all go back to talking about the draft lottery!*

*said no oilers fan ever

59. LMHF#1 says:

Klefbom on another planet.

This supposedly competent group of defencemen is proving inadequate.

60. russ99 says:

Maybe we need a good old 6-0 pasting to instill some real changes and not keep rehashing the same things that obviously don’t work.

61. npanciroli says:

we trash

62. Dicky94 says:

The brutal PK is effecting their overall game. They are scared to play aggressive for fear of taking a penalty. Not good hockey.

63. StixMalone says:

They need to lose this one 6-0. Seriously embarrass them at home it might be the wake up call these guys need and special teams coaches….

64. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

The turnaround and reversion to joke play since the game against Montreal is truly stunning

I kinda thought maybe after that 10 game stretch they’d sorted their shit out but nope

‘Twas a pre Xmas illusion haha

65. SK Oiler Fan says:

No buff, no schiefelie, no enstrom and the Oilers making them look like a cup contender, which this team certainly is not
    Oilers D just can’t handle any pressure and too many forwards watching the play from no man’s land

66. Professor Q says:

JD_High: Negative fans.

They suck the air right out…

67. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Of course the dagger goal had to be by Kyle Connor, another guy that we could have had instead of you know who. Just to rub salt in our wounds.

68. OilClog says:

If the coach won’t gut the special teams, the GM must. Sure looks like a team where the coach has lost the room.

69. BONE207 says:

Spooky Lynx: Could it be the jerseys? Seriously. Are they a shade of orange that is tougher for the brain to track? Do they not feel good about how they look?

Happy New Year gang…
    This may sound half baked but I’m battling pneumonia & taking OXY.
    Problem has to be the DJ. They probably pipe his choice of crap music into the dressing room. Ok…I’m working out my kink.

70. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Wait, McDavid still hasn’t got a point yet… he hasn’t had two games in a row with no points since like, February of last season or something… will the jets be the team that also breaks that streak too??
    #screwyoujets

71. JD_High says:

Professor Q: They suck the air right out…

The team has already blamed fans for bad ice.

72. Professor Q says:

BONE207: Happy New Year gang…
    This may sound half baked but I’m battling pneumonia & taking OXY.

Don’t worry.

It’s a New Year, Pneumonia for me as well. I’ve missed all the holidays.

May we both heal quickly.

73. russ99 says:

Boo these guys out of the building.

Somebody at forward needs to take a damn shot.

74. Spooky Lynx says:

BONE207,

Ah, of course! It’s so obvious now!

75. Woodguy v2.0 says:

The team I am wed to is run by dinks, coached by dinks and play like dinks.

Dinks.

76. BONE207 says:

I feel for the fans tonight. Watching this mess. At least I get to see 2 Connors. Oh wait…

77. Professor Q says:

Teams are getting so used to Edmonton passing. They know how to break up lanes now.

Edmonton needs to SHOOT.

78. Spooky Lynx says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    The team I am wed to is run by dinks, coached by dinks and play like dinks.

Dinks.

To say nothing of the fans…

79. JD_High says:

Little interest in this game now.

80. OmJo says:

*pokes the Oilers with a stick*

Do something.

81. Gerta Rauss says:

Happy New Year

82. Dicky94 says:

OilClog,

I blame the GM. Team is healthy now and we are no better than we were in October.

83. Crazy Pedestrian says:

YAAA!!! Moar Goalzzz!!! With 3 seconds to go too!
    This one had even more soul-sucking powers!

84. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Kassian and Khaira shouldn’t see the ice for the next couple of games

Pathetic

85. russ99 says:

Someone needs to break Connor of this pass back to the point play. Elite scorers go to the net, not wing it back.

And thers’s the 4th. Bench Benning.

86. Hockey Project says:

Well, I imagine that Matt Benning has played himself into the doghouse tonight.

87. Professor Q says:

Ehlers kicked Benning in the gut.

No call?!

He needs to be more responsible vwith his limbs. I don’t care how dedicated he is.

88. Gerta Rauss says:

JD_High:
    Little interest in this game now.

I almost want to go outside and shovel more snow

89. BONE207 says:

Professor Q: Don’t worry.

It’s a New Year, Pneumonia for me as well. I’ve missed all the holidays.

May we both heal quickly.

I may yet drink tonight. Watching this game makes me want to mix up my lines ala TMac

90. OilClog says:

Benning is a regular Werenski out there.. you know if Werenski was hot trash.

91. Confused says:

Belief starting leaving during the Chicago game.

Now gone completely, let’s start selling and looking forward to the draft.

Please not another decade ….. Too old on get through another one.

92. Dicky94 says:

russ99,

Didn’t they trade Eberle for doing that?

93. JD_High says:

Gerta Rauss: I almost want to go outside and shovel more snow

RUS v SWE is the better option I think.

Not quite golf n hash good, but better.

94. russ99 says:

Can’t for the life of me see how TMac watched the tape of the Hawks game and didn’t see how obvious it was to put Davidson in for Benning.

GM pushing his guy?

I’m almost at the point where I want a clean house even if I think this GM and Coach were good hires, if not for the obvious Katz elevation of his old boys in their place.

95. BONE207 says:

At least the Denmark game was close

96. OilClog says:

Dicky94:
    OilClog,

GM has nothing to do with systems and player deployment, or effort…

Coaches choice to play a midget b player for all of October

Coaches choice to run your back up out there in back to back games

GM wanted Leon up the middle..

Coaches have done a shit job this year identifying roles.

97. BONE207 says:

JD_High: RUS v SWE is the better option I think.

Not quite golf n hash good, but better.

Well there is the Spengler too

98. sliderule says:

Well at least there is hope on the farm
    Maksimov with another goal and assist.
    I tell you he would be better than a bunch of oil wingers .
    At least for effort.

99. russ99 says:

Dicky94:
    russ99,

Didn’t they trade Eberle for doing that?

Nope. They traded Eberle for a long decline in shooting percentage, going missing in the playoffs and not getting back and playing the team game. Nobody disputes Eberle’s track record as a goal scorer.

100. JD_High says:

Alexa, make the Oilers unsucky.

101. russ99 says:

BONE207: Well there is the Spengler too

102. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

JD_High,

“I’m sorry I cannot work miracles.”

103. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Sooo…. how good is dahlin?

104. BONE207 says:

russ99: Spent a New Years Eve in Davos Switzerland once, that was pretty cool. Went to friends’ party, Spengler Cup Final was long sold out.

They love their hockey parties in Europe

105. Gerta Rauss says:

Well, this blog gets the last laugh-Original Pouzar has this game on his PVR and gets to watch this upon his return from Asia

106. StixMalone says:

Another 2 points out of the playoff chase…..

107. Professor Q says:

Crazy Pedestrian:
    Sooo…. how good is dahlin?

He’s a Dahlin defender, I’ve heard.

108. Crazy Pedestrian says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    JD_High,

“I’m sorry I cannot work miracles.”

lol… that would be awesome if it said that!!

109. hunter1909 says:

Reporters: Coach McClellan. Last season the team got over 100 points, yet this season are struggling to even break even. What’s the matter?

McLellan: I honestly haven’t got a clue.

Chiarelli: Carry on coach!

110. BONE207 says:

Crazy Pedestrian:
    Sooo…. how good is dahlin?

Is there someone better in tonight’s game?

111. OmJo says:

Dicky94:
    OilClog,

112. hunter1909 says:

Crazy Pedestrian:
    Sooo…. how good is dahlin?

Put it this way. Connor McDavid can’t even lift this team.

113. OmJo says:

hunter1909:

McLellan: I honestly haven’t got a clue.

Chiarelli: Carry on coach!

Fire the mall!

114. hunter1909 says:

OmJo: I’m no fan of Chiarelli but the team is a bit better than they were in October. Still got 7 wins this month.

…said during what’s shaping up to be a season-destroying losing streak.

ps: lol @ “a bit better than October”

115. OmJo says:

hunter1909: …said during what’s shaping up to be a season-destroying losing streak.

My New Years resolution is to overdose on oil flavoured Kool-Aid.

116. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

There’s no fighting in here. This is the War Room.

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    There’s no fighting in here. This is the War Room.

Great movie, great line.

118. Dicky94 says:

OilClog,

I agree coaching does have a lot to do with it. Especially in the early going. Just didn’t like how Chia sat back and hoped for the best when everyone knew what needed to be done.

119. BONE207 says:

Spengler cup hockey. Could be the Olympic final. Connor would look great on this team. #boycottnhl

120. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: Great movie, great line.

The longer I live the more I’m starting to admire Jack D. Ripper.

121. Professor Q says:

Mind you, Brady Tkatchuk wouldn’t be that bad, either.

122. StixMalone says:

Going out tonight. Wasn’t going to drink but this team will make me do it…..

123. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Mom Oiler fan busy texting and shooing away her daughter was the best thing I have seen so far during this game.

124. BONE207 says:

Well at least in the Spengler, the refs wear the same jerseys as their favorite team

125. OmJo says:

I’d draft Brady Tkachuk just for the BoA.

To be a fly on the wall at the next Tkachuk family get together.

126. hunter1909 says:

Playing Yamamoto in October was such a Dallas Eakins level of stupidity, you seriously have to wonder who exactly are the alleged brains running this team.

127. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

As this year draws to a close I cannot help but shake my head at the two Oilers we’ve seen in calendar 2017

And that’s the most frustrating part.

During the DoD a guy would of course misplace some optimism and get caught up whenever the team went on a run but deep down you at least knew how bad they were.

This year it’s totally different. Like some I got a little too excited before the year started and my projections ran ahead of my brain but now back down to 28-30th?

A hot mess/tire fire/garbage every 2nd game

What in the actual fuck has happened with this team?

The early one goal losses to Pittsburgh and Washington well that happnes.

Crap like we’re seeing tonight.

Inexcusable and it’s happened at least 8-10 times this season.

That’s why this year seems to hurt/send me off the handle so much more than last year. They aren’t actually as bad as they’re playing, and hot damn is it ugly

128. OmJo says:

hunter1909: The longer I live the more I’m starting to admire Jack D. Ripper.

The main character from Threes Company?

129. SK Oiler Fan says:

What a disappointing effort. Time to start the party early in SK. Happy New Year to all.

130. geowal says:

This team is such a roll of the dice in terms of what you get any given night. Oh well, happy New Years all!

131. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Down 4-0 and still making drop passes at the blue line.

132. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

Super hard to watch this mess. I literally pray for mercy every time the Jets cross our blue line. It’s as if these athletes don’t know how to play hockey…what is up with that?! Players aren’t where they should be to receive a pass, defencemen covering the wrong guy, no one going to the net with the puck, really poor puck support, the list goes on … is this a coaching problem or is it all on the players? Seems to me our “systems” are flawed, seriously flawed. I dunno, but wtf is going on with this team?

133. anduril says:

I’m not sure how the present performance of the team isn’t on the coaching staff. I know Todd McLellan has a great track record and coached the team to their great season last year so I’m mostly asking rather than judging. Our PP and PK are horrible, the latter since last season already. The staff seem to be unable to get consistently good performances out of talented players not named McDavid, and often appear very stubborn in the way they deploy players (whether players they trust or players in their doghouse). The Jets are playing extremely well without Scheifele and Byfuglien in the lineup and yet Oilers commentators frequently excused our performances because Sekera or Klefbom were out or injured?!? The team often isn’t ready to play, whether it’s afternoon games or after 2-3 day breaks or on home ice or at the start of games. We just don’t seem to have the right systems. Frequent giveaways, blind passes between defenders or from the wingers off the boards, leading to dangerous chances or cycles, over and over, game after game. I don’t think that’s on the players. I think the players are being asked to do something that isn’t working. Don’t all the major issues with this team suggest coaching issues?

134. €v¥£€u§ says:

StixMalone,

No, it needs to be 8-0 or more….

135. hunter1909 says:

anduril: I think the players are being asked to do something that isn’t working. Don’t all the major issues with this team suggest coaching issues?

You’ve nailed it.

136. €v¥£€u§ says:

That last play by Benning behind the bet was just…..woof

137. hunter1909 says:

They might as well let in another 6.

I think I’ve given up on these coaches.

138. Professor Q says:

It’s almost as if Connor is afraid to make a play or shoot. No need to pass it that far nor that far behind.

139. hunter1909 says:

lol @ ESPN’s current top Oiler tonight; Caggiula who’s got 3 shots on goal and is 0 + –

140. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

I’d be willing to try MacT at coach the rest of the year. Think TMc and co have lost the room.

Say what you will about MacT as a GM the teams he coached rarely got outworked.

That said the whole fact I brought up MacT as an option is a sad indictment. Really wish we could have hired Doug Weight.

141. €v¥£€u§ says:

hunter1909,

I see lack of effort and lack of execution.

I’ve been seeng this since the second game

142. JD_High says:

StixMalone: Wasn’t going to drink but this team will make me do it

Pfft… I’ve already converted to Crowleyism. Do what thou wilt.

143. hunter1909 says:

Oilers continue to be that girl who puts out to the high school football team then wonders why she can’t get a boyfriend.

144. OmJo says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Down 4-0 and still making drop passes at the blue line.

Remember when the old Oilers used to toe drag at the blue line instead?

145. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

hunter1909,

Yup back to the one tried and true strategy from the DoD

Fire the coaches and it’s totally game over for this franchise

Not team but franchise

146. hunter1909 says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): I’d be willing to try MacT at coach the rest of the year.

I’d prefer Paul Coffey.

147. StixMalone says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):

Say what you will about MacT as a GM the teams he coached rarely got outworked.

148. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

This is wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

I can’t even begin to say how wrong I think this is.

If you do this, mine as well trade McDavid because only a farce of a franchise would go down that damn road again

149. JD_High says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!: Fire the coaches and it’s totally game over for this franchise

Yup. Best to wait for the draft lottery.

150. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Dallas up 3-0 on the Sharks. Oilers will have burned through 10 games and still be the same number of points out from the playoffs. Good night.

151. Professor Q says:

Looks like we got the wrong Woodcroft brother.

152. Gerta Rauss says:

We’re going to get Joel Armia inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame

153. russ99 says:

If we do make a move, I want another established NHL veteran coach with a winning track record. No youngsters, old boys or newbies.

Tippett would be my top choice. Don’t like Darryl Sutter for old boy reasons, his brother is in the cabal.

154. JD_High says:

hunter1909: I’d prefer Paul Coffey.

Fuck that, I’d prefer me. Pay me $600k to coach this team to a lottery position for half a season. Hell, I’d waive the salary for one chance at a Katz dinner party.

155. €v¥£€u§ says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

For whatever reason TMac is not getting consistent effort from his charges this year. This is on the players, but ultimately the coach gets the blame. If he is fired before the end of the season, I’d be very surprised, after the season is over, not so much.

#freetoddnelson

156. hunter1909 says:

Any normal team would sack the coach after tonight’s debacle.

157. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Let me guess it was the coaches that taught Nurse to overcommit and then drag his ass back and not pick up a man allowing that goal right?

158. LMHF#1 says:

russ99:

I liked the way they played for Todd Nelson.

He was my second choice after Babcock.

159. BONE207 says:

Does Winnipeg have a goalie? Back to the Spengler

160. Professor Q says:

russ99:

Even Kreuger.

There, I’ve said it.

161. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

russ99,

So you want someone like Todd McLellan lol?

162. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo!:
    NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

This is wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

I can’t even begin to say how wrong I think this is.

Oh I know. That’s why I said it was a sad indictment. What is most wrong is this team’s effort on too many nights this year.

I thought getting rid of Hall and Eberle fixed the lockerroom culture?

163. StixMalone says:

Fans just waiting for the 50/50. Someone will be happy tonight at least…

164. hunter1909 says:

Seems Oilers are once more fun to play against.

165. russ99 says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    russ99,

So you want someone like Todd McLellan lol?

We need structure and effective systems hockey. it can’t go back to the MacTavish freewheel nonsense, that doesn’t win in this league.

Todd’s biggest knock is lack of adjustment, other coaches would likely be better at that.

166. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

This is just one game though. Columbus lost 5-0 at home to Winnipeg East tonight. They are still a playoff team. So are we and we will start a new win streak next game. Amirite?

167. hunter1909 says:

So. Is that NHL lottery simulator still in business?

168. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

I’m with you man I’m just as lost and just as upset lol (it’s a laugh of sadness)

The number of times they folded the tent this year has been mystifying

169. OilClog says:

Would love to see what Weight could do with this team.

170. Frank the dog says:

Professor Q: Even Kreuger.

There, I’ve said it.

171. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Sorry all, I did not actually mean MacT should be the coach. I meant that at least his teams did not get outworked every night.

I don’t want any more former Oiler retreads. I don’t see a good in-season replacement available.

If anything happens it should be summer.

172. hunter1909 says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Sorry all, I did not actually mean MacT should be the coach.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

We get it.

No one in their right mind wants MacT anywhere near the team.

173. Professor Q says:

hunter1909:
    So. Is that NHL lottery simulator still in business?

Edmonton seems to be perpetually in 8th.

174. Spooky Lynx says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):

I thought getting rid of Hall and Eberle fixed the lockerroom culture?

Can we get Hendricks back?

175. Professor Q says:

Frank the dog: I still believe that if there is a coach out there that would have the capability to take us to the hallowed land it’s Krueger. The other person who I feel would turn this around is Todd Nelson.

Really a very shameful way to fire an employee. He deserved more.

176. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

russ99,

I almost kind of agree with it but let’s do a quick look at three things

1) At 5v5 by every single measure the Oilers are a top 5 team in the NHL, including goals scored

2) on the road the Oilers PK is top 10, at home they are 10% below historically bad

3) Leon Draisaitl has 1 more PP point than he has SH points (he mad more SH goals I believe)

All three of those things tell me that “the system” of this coaching staff isn’t completely off kilter.

I don’t know what’s causing the absolute gongshows that seem to happen regularly but I don’t think it’s the coaching staff writ large

177. JD_High says:

hunter1909: No one in their right mind wants MacT anywhere near the team.

Definitely don’t want him to be the senior VP of hockey ops, or anything like that.

178. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Almost all the Oiler shots are from the wings or outside. None from the HDSC middle.

179. JimmyV1965 says:

I feel bad for the people who spent a lot of money to attend this game. They can’t change the channel after the second period like I did. Been two years since I’ve done that.

180. BONE207 says:

Oilers learning this game from the Danish team.
    How about that Swiss junior coach. TMac should emulate

181. OmJo says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

To be fair, those teams were much more veteran.

There’s not really a Horcoff, Moreau, Stoll, Smith, Smyth, or Staios type on the roster.

MacT had us on the brink of playoffs most seasons, we were at least still in the picture after November. I actually liked him as coach. But his bonehead decision to fire Kreuger and letting Nelson go is part of the reason we’re in this problem.

Yes, I think they’re better coaches than TMac – for this team. They literally got the best out of players, the same players who ended up in TMac’s doghouse and either traded, bought out, or waived. He clearly has favourites that leads to him making some head scratching moves.

182. Hockey Project says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):

Almost exactly what I said to my wife: “Almost no shots from home plate.”

183. OmJo says:

Matt Hendricks, Oiler slayer.

184. Confused says:

Still cannot believe that we are back to being still in December and everything is lost.

Fire everyone! Sell (nearly) everyone!

Feel sorry for the fans making their way home at -30C after seeing this crap!!!

185. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OmJo,

Lucic, Maroon, Sekera, Cammy, Russell, etc disappear? I hear you but I thought these guys were supposed to be leaders, too.

186. OmJo says:

So, will LB get another start this season?

187. BONE207 says:

Hockey Project: Almost exactly what I said to my wife: “Almost no shots from home plate.”

My date would’ve said you’re using the wrong bat Big Boy

188. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Number one priority for the organization for the remainder of this year is to make sure we don’t have a repeat of this next year. That would be a disaster of epic proportions. Biblical … really.

Pretty sure Todd is done. That’s what happens when a team that dominated and made the playoffs the previous year shits the bed the following year. See Oakland Raiders as today’s example.

Have no idea who the new guy will be next year, but a coaching change needs to happen.

189. €v¥£€u§ says:

Professor Q,

I got 9th, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 7th

So I guess I am saying, there is a chance 🙂

190. OmJo says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    OmJo,

Fair point. I’ll be honest I don’t think they’re equal in terms of leadership to the group MacT had. Personally, aside from Sekera I’d take that group over this group.

Just my opinion.

191. Hockey Project says:

BONE207: My date would’ve said you’re using the wrong bat Big Boy

Story of my life.

192. Johnny skid says:

thank god the jets took there foot of the gas or this could have really been ugly.

193. €v¥£€u§ says:

BONE207,

Is she commenting on a broken bat?

194. OmJo says:

Well, if it’s “playoff time” then we have a bit of a problem here.

195. OmJo says:

Fans throwing stuff on the ice?

196. OmJo says:

And the boos?

Thats brootal.

But deserved.

197. Frank the dog says:

StixMalone: No we had the right guy but MacT didn’t trust him to work alone. That was Nelson…

Nelson’s teams always over performed.
    I am sure I commented when Tmac first came along that I felt his teams choked in the playoffs.
    Also, look what Krueger with with strategizing with Team Canada…..

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »