Run to daylight!

The Oilers were in a shootout and needed a goal. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, who may or may not shave yet, scored a lovely goal on his penalty shot to win the day for Edmonton. It’s a mighty long way down rock and roll and who knows what tomorrow brings. For today, this team has some hope and a sliver of daylight.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

FALSE SPRING, YEAR OVER YEAR

• January 2016: 2-0-0, goal differential +1
  • January 2017: 1-1-0, goal differential -1
  • January 2018: 1-1-0, goal differential -5

Last night’s win was badly needed, this Edmonton team has just 10 games in January and have to make the most of it. All three teams got off to reasonable starts in January.

AFTER 41, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 17-21-3, goal differential -23 (37 points)
  • Oilers 16-17: 21-13-7, goal differential +10 (49 points)
  • Oilers 17-18: 18-20-3, goal differential -16 (39 points)

This year’s team is just a hair ahead of two years ago but I do believe this team will finish with more than 70 points. Adding a veteran backup goalie suggests there’s at least some interest in winning games this season.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM JANUARY

• At home to: Los Angeles, Anaheim (Expected 0-1-1) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: Dallas, Chicago, Nashville, Arizona, Vegas (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Vancouver, Buffalo, Calgary (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 4-4-2, 10 points in 10 games
  • Current results: 1-1-0, two points in two games

Oilers are slightly ahead of my prediction but I was bullish about their road trip and there’s miles to go over the next two weeks.

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• Sekera-Benning went 16-8 in 11:58, 0-0 GF and 2-2 HDSC. Went 10-3 against Cogliano-Kesler-Silfverberg, forgot what a pain in the ass that line could be any given night. Pairing spent most of their 5×5 time with Leon and Nuge lines. I like both defenders but would prefer to see Sekera with a shutdown type and Benning the same. Edmonton doesn’t have enough puck movers on the roster to to afford this alignment.
  • Klefbom-Russell went 11-12 in 15:45, 1-0 GF and 5-0 in HDSC’s. Played mostly with Nuge and McDavid lines, going 6-5 against Cogliano-Kesler-Silfverberg. Russell scored on a beautiful pass from McDavid, screened Talbot on PP GA.
  • Nurse-Larsson were 15-20 together in 17:36, 0-0 GF and 0-5 in HDSC’s. This pairing spent most of their time with the McDavid line (8-0 Corsi) and flourished, but got caved (4-16) while playing with the Draisaitl line. Were 10-16 against Vermette-Getzlaf-Rakell, who I count as Anaheim’s top line. Getzlaf faced Nurse-Larsson 10:40; Klefbom-Russell 5:07, Sekera-Benning 1:46. Is that how you would handle things?
  • Cam Talbot stopped 33 of 34, .971. He played very well to my eye.
  • NaturalStatTrick and NHL.com.

OFFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• Lucic-McDavid-Puljujarvi got the goal, a monster tally and the key to the win. McDavid had another of those insane nights where you’re just glad to be alive to witness it. Lucic had a good night, fine move and then pass on the goal, another nice item late in the third to give McDavid some air and eventually force a penalty. Puljujarvi is the bomb, he’s very close to impossible, needs his own camera following every move. Six HDSC’s for the line.
  • Cammalleri-Nuge-Strome went 15-13, 2-0 in HDSC’s. I thought they had some promising moments but the big contribution came in the shootout. Nuge was slippery and skilled, loving his season. Strome has big parts of the game right at his feet and is unable to think or act quickly enough to impact them. I’ll say this: He’s smart and skilled enough to get himself to good spots, which makes his lack of impact more galling.
  • Caggiula-Draisaitl-Slepyshev got caved 9-22, 2-7 in HDSC’s. Lordy. Went 3-12 in five minutes against Getzlaf. Hoo doggy. There were several epic shifts involving chasing, Edmonton needs wingers like Mars needs women. People will rip Leon today, but he needs better wingers. Schnell.
  • Khaira-Letestu-Kassian went 3-6, McLellan doesn’t trust his fourth line (6:21) much. I think both wingers on Letestu’s line would be better Leon options.

If he’s a buy  low option, then Peter Chiarelli should be on it yesterday. Duclair has one 20-goal season (crazy good shooting percentage that year) in the NHL already and is young enough to grow with the group. If the price is right, makes sense from here.

That was one weird trade for sure. What’s more, Al Montoya is on the IR (as I understand it) so Brossoit will probably head to Dallas as an insurance policy. Montoya has played in just four games this season, he is currently sporting an .897 even-strength save percentage (hockey-reference) for the year. As possible backup options go, Montoya is perhaps an uninspired choice but I’m unsure what forces were at play to make this happen. Brossoit will have to hit waivers, meaning another 24-hour “Jeff Deslauriers night sweats” saga.

KIRILL MAKSIMOV

We talked about Tyler Benson yesterday, and this morning another CHL winger is worth discussing. After a nice run coming out of the Christmas break, Maksimov’s boxcars are 34gp, 24-18-42 (NHLE: 82gp, 17-13-30). Oilers need scoring wingers, and with Kailer Yamamoto, Ostap Safin and Maksimov bubbling under, help is on the way.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, the bases are loaded with great guests! Scheduled to appear:

• Blake Price, TSN WJC host. We tee up the big WJ games today with Blake.
  • Steve Lansky, BigMouthSports. Chiarelli on the hot seat, WJ’s, Oilers win.
  • Nate Davis, USA Today. Huge NFL weekend.
  • Marshall Ferguson, Ti-Cats PBP. A monster news week in the CFL.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

343 Responses to "Run to daylight!"

« Older Comments
  1. Bill says:

So todays’s subject is how rotten Chia & the coaching staff are, the GM is an incompetent boob for trading a lottery ticket draft pick for a worn out, concussed, sieve of a backup goalie, re-install MacT, Kevin Lowe (and possibly Tambo, JUST because he may be better than Chia, because a frozen dog turd is SMARTER than Chia).
    A few days ago, I stated a change may be the correct call, still believe that to be true. But with time to really kick back and look at the situation, what in Hades really changed from last year? A couple of bad timed injuries and what? A couple of players(Ebs & Hendricks) and the entire team went over a cliff? The coaching staff suddenly forgets how to do their jobs, the give a shit meter strikes zero/zilch, nathan, nada?
    Could it be something else? What is going on behind the closed doors of the dressing room? Last season, was it a mirage? Yet another chapter to the book of how to sewer a fan base?
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, used to make this place well worth the time to read and contemplate, but the negativity and outright lunacy that has developed as this season plods along is making the atmosphere much akin to the present situation theOil are in. Unfortunate.
    Is launching vitriol and resorting to character bashing and name calling what a proud and faithful bunch of fans has left?
    Some of y’all could use the time to sharpen up your resumes before submitting them for consideration for the upcoming job openings that will come with the Oilers.

Adios all.

2. Pouzar says:

ArmchairGM: I suspect it’s Pasquale that will walk. Brossoit and Ellis to platoon to start, let the cream rise to the top.

Ellis: .903
    Eddie: .910

There is a chance Ellis goes to ECHL.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

Yes, Eddie P. will be gone for sure, however, assuming Wells turns pro its still crowded.

I would think they would want Shane Starret to graduate to the AHL

4. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar: Ellis: .903
    Eddie: .910

There is a chance Ellis goes to ECHL.

5. Woogie63 says:

TMac is making $3M/annually, that staff is probably making $5M/annually.

That is a lot of job security.

I can’t image the next guy saying a he will coach for much less than the $3M.

What available coach would you pay $3M to coach this team?

6. Side says:

Pouzar: Still won’t change the numbers or the fact we gave up a draft pick for him.
    But up yours anyway.

What?

I see you didn’t get the Hint. I was referring to Surrey Oiler, hence why I replied to him. Every day he pumps out hyperbole about how bad LB is. Losing LB means I won’t have to read that anymore.

Calm your tits.

7. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: Pasquale is the journeyman AHL tender with no future in the organization whereas Ellis an actual prospect with a potential future in the organization.

We have Skinner and Wells on deck and an all star in the ECHL.
    Ellis is sporting a .903 currently. I don’t think his future in the organization is guaranteed past this year.

That said, Eddie P has been on fire lately and stranger development decisions have been made on the farm. They may decide to keep Eddie P and have Ellis splitting time in the ECHL.

8. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

OriginalPouzar:
    USA vs. Czech for bronze at 3 mountain today.I wonder if:

1) Yamamoto is able to play; and

2) If Safin will get any material ice time.He’s barely played since the round robin.

9. Pouzar says:

Side: What?

I see you didn’t get the Hint.I was referring to Surrey Oiler, hence why I replied to him. Every day he pumps out hyperbole about how bad LB is.Losing LB means I won’t have to read that anymore.

Calm your tits.

My sincerest apologies.
    Should have known better coming from you.

10. Frank the dog says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    OilClog,

I just can’t see Gretzky thinking the coaching is fine other then the special teams

Ok.

Hasn’t Keith been working with Peter for years now?

Yes.Peter was the impetus to bring Keith to Edmonton as well.

OBC may not like Peter, but what is Bobs Opinion in Peter? Doesn’t it all start and end through Bob’s desk?

Nicholson is CEO and Vice Chair of OEG
    Gretzky is Partner and Vice Chair of OEG
    Lowe is a Vice Chair of the OEG.

I’d think that neither really “answers” to the other.

Gretzky has been travelling with the team often and in Edmonton often.Nicholson has not done either nearly as often so I’d guess Gretzky is closer to “hockey ops” than Bob lately.

I think RiversQ summed it up best on twitter yesterday:

Anyway, the point is none of them (OBC) really have any power over hockey ops strictly speaking and yet they can unquestionably influence Katz so it doesn’t matter.

Lastly,

If a coach loses a room doesn’t matter who the GM is, coach lost the room.

I think 99.5% of “the coach has lost the room” is just made up things to explain below average results and think that in the case of McLellan/Oilers its 99.9% made up.

I believe that most people under-appreciate the negative impact that calls and non-calls made by referees have on the game. I also believe that most people under-appreciate the impact that the loss of key players due to injuries has on a team’s performance.
    Last year, we had minimal injuries and most games we called relatively evenly, and we made the second round of the playoffs. The year prior we had injuries to key players and lots of games where the zebras tilted the ice and as a result the team performed poorly. I also believe there is some level of correlation between non-calls and injuries.
    Finally, I know TMac to be a great guy and a consistent playoff coach but he is not a Stanley Cup head coach. I believe Todd Nelson has the raw coaching skill to take this team to the Stanley Cup, and that Ralph Krueger also has these skills, were he to ever step behind an NHL bench again.
    Before I get slaughtered for my lack of scientific evidence, I accept that this is a scientifically unsubstantiated viewpoint.

11. PokeCheck says:

Wouldn’t it make sense to trade Eddie P. for some offensive help at the AHL level?

12. OmJo says:

LB will be Chiarelli’s Dubnyk.

13. Wilde says:

Woodguy v2.0: To be clear I don’t have a direct line to the OBC.

That said there are many things said by many people (not all public, but mostly public) which you can use to suss out a reasonable scenario.

The reasonable scenario is that the OBC sees this year mostly as a failure of roster construction and not coaching except the special teams.

Gotcha. I was moreso just take-fishing than anything.

I think Todd has done some things that bothered McT, like burying two of his FA’s and forcing Chia’s hand in regards to them, in Benoit Pouliot and Fayne. Laurent Brossoit was also a McT trade, and McLellan wouldn’t start him, his comments post game last night about “he wasn’t going to get time here” is the verbal stamp on his handling in the last two years. McT was also likely on board for signing Lucic, based on his stab at Clarkson and drafting Lock-Blocks over the years.

I think Chia may be trying to negatively react to Tmac’s deployment choices, in an effort to push him out first. They essentially played chicken with this goalie thing.

“Get me a backup”
    “Play the backup I gave you”
    “No you”
    “No YOU.”

Edit: Another MacT guy that Tmac didn’t play during the playoffs is Hendricks

14. HT Joe says:

JimmyV1965:
    This Oesterle hand wringing is eerily reminiscent of the comments about Marincin a couple years ago. They’re both fringe NHLers and will play less than 100 games in the bigs.

Wait wait wait… were you saying that neither Marincin nor Oesterle will hit 100 games in the NHL? Marincin is already at 177 GP and counting.

If you meant only Oesterle would fail to hit 100GP, he’s already at 39 and he’s playing well enough to stay up in the bigs this season.

Do you really doubt Oesterle 61 more games in the NHL?

15. Wilde says:

Woogie63:

What available coach would you pay $3M to coach this team?

And steal his TV remotes.

16. HT Joe says:

Bill: C’mon good folks, let’s not let frustration and spite destroy THIS. Not suggesting that we all can’t agree to disagree or vent about the ups and downs, but try to do away with the pettiness.

For all the negativity in today’s thread, we may have received the greatest comment of all time. Thanks Wilde!! Nothing else written on this blog could ruin my mood now.

“Watching Cagguila in the defensive zone is like setting a guard dog loose, only to watch him furiously hump the intruders leg.”

17. Side says:

Pouzar: My sincerest apologies.
    Should have known better coming from you.

All is good.

Unless you make fun of Pete’s track suit, then the gloves are off.

18. Pouzar says:

HT Joe: Oesterle

My Oesterle posts are a little tongue in cheek. Do I think he is a 1st pairing d-man? No. I think he is a good puck moving d-man who can play in the NHL. I made that call 2 years ago. He is showing it now. Some posters just don’t want to ever go out on a limb and make a call on a player. They would rather slag on said player without seeing the guy play any material minutes. Opportunities are sometimes all these players need. Oesty is taking his and running with it.

19. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pouzar: That’s some Mathy stuff!!!!!!!

I know!!!!

Trust multiplication and division.

They have no agenda.

20. Melvis says:

LT’s dog couldn’t hump a chicken leg.

21. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Wilde: If either Tippet or Sutter end up coaching Edmonton, I will break into Chia’s house and violently spread lego’s all over his floors.

And steal his TV remotes.

I violently agree with the legos part even if no one gets fired.

22. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pouzar,

Most of the posters who slag players couldn’t pick those players out of a line up.

The “Marincin won’t play 100 games” when he’s at 177 already speaks to this.

People just want to argue with people they usually disagree with and don’t have even medium deep information on the subject.

23. dustrock says:

Pouzar: If you say so Jimmy.

This place is becoming more like HFBoards by the day.

Pouzar: If you say so Jimmy.

This place is becoming more like HFBoards by the day.

whoa whoa whoa let’s not say things we can’t take back

24. Pouzar says:

dustrock:
    whoa whoa whoa let’s not say things we can’t take back

If you think that was for everybody then I don’t what to tell you.
    Some people are just not trying.

25. Wilde says:

Woodguy v2.0: I violently agree with the legos part even if no one gets fired.

Is G a strong enough computer boy to put ashleymadison in Chias search history?

Materially kidding.

26. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Pouzar,

The “Marincin won’t play 100 games” when he’s at 177 already speaks to this.

I was a big Marincin guy back in the day too. Got some heat for it.
    I am actually pleasantly surprised he has made it to 177…good stuff!

27. Wilde says:

Wilde: Is G a strong enough computer boy to put ashleymadison in Chias search history?

Materially kidding.

‘is cody ceci right handed’
    ‘griffin reinhart mem cup highlights’
    ‘top 10 tracksuits of 2017’

28. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0,

For WG and all the nerds…what do you think of “CA/SCA60” and “GA/xGA60” to determine
    decent PKers as prescribed in the link below?

29. Scungilli Slushy says:

JimmyV1965: Tmac would be an absolute disaster. I’m not exactly a chia fan, but the reason he traded Hall is the roster handed down to him. We had virtually no dmen and nothing in the system. He way over paid to get Larsson and that’s why I don’t like his track record. But he looks like a genius compared to MacT, who couldn’t even see how bad the defence was.

To build a Stanley Cup team who have to draft and develop. Period. And to say MacT failed at that is a gross understatement. Our prospect cupboard is a disaster. There’s not one frickin prospect from the MacT era. Not one. Sure, many of our first rounders are already playing. But we consistently drafted at the top of the second round and there is not a single legit prospect to show for it. If he wad throwing darts at the draft list his record world have been better.

It’s not popular sentiment but who’s to say Chiarelli came up with any of the poor trades? Ultimately it’s on his plate either way. It’s not even clear from the Bruins behind the scenes thing he wanted to trade Seguin. They traded Hamilton after he left – offensive great skating RH big young D, who does that?

I have never believed Chiarelli was given full reigns in the sense that meddling by Katz or OBC was not going to happen. For me there are/were too many backstories that don’t fit, and way too many similarities in tone and decisions that are hardly any different from before Nicholson, given an alleged complete front end change.

I don’t think any team runs clean. Owners, agents, interested parties with influence get their fingers in the pie. A GM has a lot of people messing with his vision. Given what we’re discussing today which is so much like always from way back, villainizing players and people, not much seems to have changed as soon as adversity has risen.

Save us Bob Nicholson. Or Katz, haven’t you had enough gossip embarrassing your organization?

As I said if it’s on then lets get it over with so we can move past it as fast as possible.

President – W. Gretzky
    Vice President just a little below and to the left of President – K. Lowe
    Vice President of Security and Parties, below and to the right – M Messier
    Vice President of Witticisms, Stream of Thought and Player Confidence Destruction Media Avails –
    C. MacTavish
    GM and Coffee Maker – K. Gretzky
    Asst GM and the real boss – Katz Jr

30. JimmyV1965 says:

HT Joe: Wait wait wait… were you saying that neither Marincin nor Oesterle will hit 100 games in the NHL?Marincin is already at 177 GP and counting.

Do you really doubt Oesterle 61 more games in the NHL?

31. JimmyV1965 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Pouzar,

The “Marincin won’t play 100 games” when he’s at 177 already speaks to this.

OUCH!!! They’re both still fringe NHL players.

32. Thinker says:

JimmyV1965: OUCH!!! They’re both still fringe NHL players.

Would a “fringe NHL player” be scratched 25 times, or be in the AHL right now?

33. Munny says:

Pouzar:
    Woodguy v2.0,

decent PKers as prescribed in the link below?

But it doesn’t really tell me how well they defend when they are defending. And we pretty much know where the puck is (most of the time) on the PP/PK.

I’d rather look at HDSC when it comes to the special teams (and the samples are large enough).

Just the way I prefer to look at it, your mileage may violently vary.

34. russ99 says:

Well, as the conspiracy theory goes:

The Nicholson, Chiarelli and McLellan hirings were forced by the NHL because other owners complained about embarassment to the league and how their revenues were being affected.

An egomaniac like Katz can’t take that kind of thing laying down, so he stifles those hires by forcing in his people into hockey ops positions, and bringing in Gretzky into a position in the org chart even with Nicholson.

His whole franchise goal was playoff dates last year in the new building to maximize profits, and he got that. Now he’s not going to get this year, hence the chance to dump management he didn’t want and being back the old boy revolution.

35. Munny says:

Wilde: Although I guess if I’m already in his house, I could do it myself. I’m just scared of what else I’ll find in there.

‘is cody ceci right handed’
    ‘griffin reinhart mem cup highlights’
    ‘top 10 tracksuits of 2017’

Lol!!!

36. Professor Q says:

leadfarmer:
    frjohnk,

They wanted Nurse, We didn’t want to give up Nurse.The first and a second were not an option given to us.You won’t trade us Nurse, fine we will trade him to your competition

And then there was the Subban trade, also possibly involving Nurse AND Draisaitl…

37. jtblack says:

Wilde,

LOL!

And hidden in the safe; scoring stats for
    KESSELL
    SEGUIN
    WHEELER
    HALL
    EBERLE

38. Bag of Pucks says:

Two reasons it’s hard to be an NHL GM

1) People clamour for trades/signings/etc. and every time the GM makes one, the same people then claim the cost paid was too high or the return back too marginal, or both
    2) There are 3 things that can happen when you acquire a player and 2 of them are bad: they can play better for their new team, they can play worse, or they can get injured.

Most importantly, as stated further up the thread, everyone acts as if the buck stops with the GM when the reality is rarely so simple. Katz, Nicholson, they’re going to have a say in these things and meddling is almost a given. Owning an NHL club is the ultimate shiny toy. These owners are involved, and there’s been plenty of video of Katz that indicate he’s a presence in some of the key contract, trade, and lottery pick discussions. Trading Hall and signing Lucic? I guarantee that’s the kind of thing Katz is consulted and weighs in on.

39. Munny says:

Bag of Pucks,

Predicting the future is a fool’s game. Unfortunately, that’s the job they’ve signed on for. Also, it behooves most organizations to show more patience than a fan would.

40. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar: We have Skinner and Wells on deck and an all star in the ECHL.

Chiarelli has done a wonderful job accumulating some nice goaltender depth in the organization. Ellis is a material part of the tending depth and I see almost zero chance that the organization will keep Pasquale over Ellis.

41. OriginalPouzar says:

Boil-in-the-Oil: Would hate to see anyone tune in late for the game . . . it starts at 2pm (Alberta).

I wish I would have seen this earlier as I tuned in late to the game….

42. geowal says:

JimmyV1965: Let’s say 200 games. My point is they are fringe players. I think the Leafs are done with M.

Way to move that goalpost.

43. OriginalPouzar says:

PokeCheck:

Lots of help coming next year – Hebig, Benson, Yamamoto

All rookies mind you but lots of offensive talent.

44. AsiaOil says:

Woodguy v2.0: Yeah, Montoya was on my list when Peter signed Wacky Arm Flailing Goalie Man who was statistically the worst UFA goalie available.

LT’s been calling for an Actual NHL back up since Talbot got here.

Good times.

45. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pouzar:
    Woodguy v2.0,

decent PKers as prescribed in the link below?

Haven’t clicked the link but I use RelCA/60 and RelHDSC/60

Goals are too random in even a whole season of PKing

Look at Dmen as pair and F’s with the Dpairs to figure out who is dragging and who is pushing

46. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Munny: I’m not big on Corsi for PKs, or really defense in the first place. To me it’s a useful number to tell me where the puck is… ie how much offending and defending is going on when that person is on the ice.

But it doesn’t really tell me how well they defend when they are defending.And we pretty much know where the puck is (most of the time) on the PP/PK.

Just the way I prefer to look at it, your mileage may violently vary.

Corsi Against rates are really good for PK.

It answers “how often is the other team shooting?”. This speaks to zone entry defence and pressure in the dzone.

I like HDSC too as it answers ” how often do they get AAA shots”

Remember, HDSC is corsi but only in the slot.

47. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Two reasons it’s hard to be an NHL GM

100% agree.

Now ask “who does Katz talk to in order to inform his opinions”

48. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: Lots of help coming next year – Hebig, Benson, Yamamoto

All rookies mind you but lots of offensive talent.

Those players will help the Condors.

Not sure about the Oilers.

The jump from the CHL to the NHL is massive.

Hebig is a long shot bet.

The number of 20 year olds who score 1.45ps/gm in the CHL and never play a NHL game is legion.

49. Woodguy v2.0 says:

AsiaOil: WG – in order to sign a quality backup goalie, the guy actually has to want to play in EDM. How many quality vet backups want to play in EDM given the train-wreck anything goalie related has been over the last 20 years? The number is likely zero. EDM has a reputation as a goalie graveyard, it’s slowly changing, but quality guys are not lining up to sign here. I’ll let other people speculate on who to blame for this situation.

NHL back ups play for many teams in many markets.

Most just want a 2 year deal and not a one year deal.

Don’t buy it, especially with 97 on the team and a new rink.

50. HT Joe says:

200 games played is a fringe player? That’s not reasonable. Saying that the Leafs are done with Marincin appears to be totally true (2GP this year), but 200 games is far from the fringe.

If you follow the link above and toggle to defencemen, the average career of an NHL defenceman is apparently 271 GP. 200GP is 3/4 of the way there. Within a reasonable range, a player who reaches 200GP appears to be a typical defenceman (certainly not a star, but far from being a borderline NHLer).

Question for the group: is 271 GP actually an average career length for an NHL defenceman?!

I for one am basking in the glow of the successful career of Martin Marincin. 🙂

52. Munny says:

Woodguy v2.0: Corsi Against rates are really good for PK.

I suppose. But not every team uses a pressure PK and some teams are happy to let you shoot from the point. Corsi on PK doesn’t hold a lot of weight with me… but breakdowns that lead to HDSC do. As I said above YMMVV.

53. Munny says:

Too bad there isn’t a Successful Cross-seam Pass per 60, lol.

Oilers would be down somewhere around negative 400.

54. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

For the poster way back who said surely the Oilers won’t spend all that time developing LB only to let him go.

Exhibits A:
    Dubnyk, Devan
    Petry, Jeff
    Cogliano, Andrew
    Brodziak, Kyle
    Chorney, Taylor

Want a Chia example?
    Pitlick, Tyler
    Oesterle, Jordan

And I am leaving out the ‘hockey trades’ like Hall and Ebs, although the latter is quite dubious to be called that.

55. digger50 says:

The question then is “how do the Oilers get better?”

And it irks me to even pose that question as there were some on this board that predicted the Oil would not contend but max out at mediocre. Dam we didn’t even get that far.

Anyway, how to get better:

Internal development. This was a large bet this summer that didn’t pay off. Still, lots of room for growth in the current roster.

Draft – we should get better via the draft, but will we improve more than 30 other teams through the draft? Let’s hope we are at least average, thus we are just keeping pace through the draft, relative to the other 30 teams.

Trade – unless we have a significant strength we can trade, it’s more like we fill one hole and create another. The latest trades have been questionable at best.

Free agents – things looking pretty tight cap wise

Wait for ppportunity to knock – meaning you just keep fishing until a Maroon or Kassian shows up, you get Davidson of waivers etc.

Change coach – get more performance out of what you have

Just pondering this

56. Thinker says:

HT Joe: 200 games played is a fringe player?That’s not reasonable.Saying that the Leafs are done with Marincin appears to be totally true (2GP this year), but 200 games is far from the fringe.

If you follow the link above and toggle to defencemen, the average career of an NHL defenceman is apparently 271 GP.200GP is 3/4 of the way there.Within a reasonable range, a player who reaches 200GP appears to be a typical defenceman (certainly not a star, but far from being a borderline NHLer).

This is similar to including 400lb people in the calculation of average male body weight. Not to mention being a fringe NHL player doesn’t really relate to games played so much as skill level.

57. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Thinker: This is similar to including 400lb people in the calculation of average male body weight.

By this measure the average life of a Wall St trader is 1 yr 8 months. I did 13 yrs before I had enough.By choice. I believe that makes me a 400lb man

58. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Those players will help the Condors.

Not sure about the Oilers.

The jump from the CHL to the NHL is massive.

Hebig is a long shot bet.

Well, yes, as I was responding to a post about offence at the AHL level.

59. OriginalPouzar says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):

Want a Chia example?
    Pitlick, Tyler
    Oesterle, Jordan

Those players became UFAs because of time served/games played/etc.

I’m sure if they could have given either player a QO and retained their RFA rights, they would have done so.

LB will be an RFA and will only become a UFA if the organization chooses to move on from him.

Totally different scenarios as between LB on the one hand and Pitlick and Osterle on the other had.

60. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar: Those players became UFAs because of time served/games played/etc.

I think you misunderstood me. This was not meant as a criticism of Chia. Someone suggested cutting LB loose after all this development time wouldn’t happen.

LB’s own “blindside” quote suggests they didn’t talk to him about this plan. The organization may well “do him a solid” and let him go this summer. UFA or RFA be damned, they could simply not offer him a contract.

61. T0ML says:

Im confused, are we all still bitching about a trade for an actual NHL player? I know we are all for the more bullets in the chamber for the draft, however isnt the one thing we all have (previously) agreed on that if you have a 4th rounder or later and you can get an honest to god NHL player you take that deal? Whats the chance the 4th rounder this year becomes a player in the NHL? Isnt the 4th round around ~10% to hit 100 games?

Looking at WG’s #’s, any my eye on the few times ive watched Montoya, we have an NHL player now. Is he a #1 goalie, no, he is a backup. He knows it, and accepts it. Comes in does his job.

62. digger50 says:

Just another perspective to share…

Why was Maroon slithering out of the rink feeling like crap? I know it was the penalty that lost the game. However, did we forget the days when Oil were fun out of the rink, beaten and belittled? Lord we needed Maroon and what he brings, and we still need him.

Doughty inferred he was going after M David and then proceeded to do so. You cannot let that happen. If it costs a game or a suspension so be it, but you cannot let that happen period.

Because if you do, it just leads to taking more and more shit until you are neutered. And losing. Pay the price up front and make your point loud and clear.

What happens against the Ducks? Several clear attempts to injure in my opinion. Vicious cross he is and slashes Uncalled by the refs. Instead of having Kassian leave his balls in the dressing room, turn him loose. You cannot allow that nonsense to stand.

Oilers won the day but I felt the Ducks made a greater statement about “how things are going to be”. I hope some one buys Maroon a beer for sticking up for his teammates because we are going to need him.

If he does get moved at the deadline, I think there is zero chance his skill set will be replaced. Best scenario is we manage to resign him at a decent rate.

63. digger50 says:

T0ML:
    Im confused, are we all still bitching about a trade for an actual NHL player?I know we are all for the more bullets in the chamber for the draft, however isnt the one thing we all have (previously) agreed on that if you have a 4th rounder or later and you can get an honest to god NHL player you take that deal?Whats the chance the 4th rounder this year becomes a player in the NHL?Isnt the 4th round around ~10% to hit 100 games?

Looking at WG’s #’s, any my eye on the few times ive watched Montoya, we have an NHL player now.Is he a #1 goalie, no, he is a backup.He knows it, and accepts it.Comes in does his job.

I agree Toml

64. Munny says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): LB’s own “blindside” quote suggests they didn’t talk to him about this plan.

You don’t want to mess with his head while he’s still playing for you, you never know if a trade is going to work out or not, and when it did happen, he was on the bench in the midst of a game. I know some fans were concerned with this comment, but I think it’s par for the course.

65. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Munny: It likely was a “Blindside”, but I can’t blame Mgmt for it (not saying you are, just addressing this issue).

You don’t want to mess with his head while he’s still playing for you, you never know if a trade is going to work out or not, and when it did happen, he was on the bench in the midst of a game.I know some fans were concerned with this comment, but I think it’s par for the course.

Yes, and I agree. At the same time, Montoya has a deal next year for $1M. That is likely the blindside for LB. If it was a goalie with an expiring deal he could think…ok I can go down to the Bake and work on my game and come back and win the job next year. But the extra year’s gotta be an indictment for him, no?

As in, he isn’t going to get a fair crack to win the backup job again next year.

66. Munny says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Doesn’t it tell him that he’s going to have to compete hard for the backup spot next year?

If he does, and wins it back, Montoya either doesn’t make it through waivers or he’s in Bako at a cap hit of $162K.

67. Scungilli Slushy says:

digger50:
    Just another perspective to share…

Why was Maroon slitheringout of the rink feeling like crap? I know it was the penalty that lost the game. However, did we forget the days when Oil were fun out of the rink, beaten and belittled? Lord we needed Maroon and what he brings, and we still need him.

What happens against the Ducks? Several clear attempts to injure in my opinion.Vicious cross he is and slashes Uncalled by the refs. Instead of having Kassian leave his balls in the dressing room, turn him loose. You cannot allow that nonsense to stand.

Oilers won the day but I felt the Ducks made a greater statement about “how things are going to be”.I hope some one buys Maroon a beer for sticking up for his teammates because we are going to need him.

I think he is back if the price is right because the league won’t do what is right with their new marquee player. Perhaps they are making him pay dues. At least Maroon does a reasonably good job scoring.

Murray Pam‏
    @Pammerhockey
    Following Following @Pammerhockey
    Scouts listed for #Sens #Sharks – BUF, CHI, EDM, MTL, NYI, STL, TOR, WSH. Key word is listed. It’s -40 windchill, feels like -60 outside CTC.

69. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Munny:
    NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

70. Scungilli Slushy says:

Given Broissoit’s play the only issue I have is that it was announced in game. That is hurtful but it is pro sports and he hasn’t been very good, or good enough. He had a career making opportunity. There can still be others.

71. teddyturnbuckle says:

Zero chance anyone claims LB if he goes on waivers. Every team in the league has a better backup than him.

72. HenryDrix says:

OriginalPouzar: I’m not grasping at anything.

I quite like Montoya’s numbers in 3 of the last 4 years.I’ll take save percentage of .920, .919, .912 from my back-up tender (in 28, 25 and 19 games).

Good stuff Al.

I agree, those are solid back-up numbers. So glad LB is not on the Oiler bench, having him play has been difficult to watch.

73. Scungilli Slushy says:

Marincin demoted to the AHL. I think the analysis around prospects should be more about finding impact players as opposed to marginal players that barely hang on to careers that may play 100 games or more as replacement level players. The reason being that the draft is about finding impact players not those available for peanuts yearly.

For teams other than Edmonton I mean.

74. T0ML says:

What if Montoya was acquired for the purpose of sending to OTT? Would MTL straight up deal with OTT? (Like the two times CGY has delt with us….)

Just speculating from florida here….

75. Munny says:

In case anyone was wondering…

The condition on the pick in the Al Montoya trade: The #habs get a 2018 fourth-rounder if he plays seven more games this regular season. If not, they get a fifth-rounder.

Per Chris Johnston, SN

76. Munny says:

Heckuva pace to this Junior game. Like OP on a 4am double espresso.

77. OriginalPouzar says:

T0ML:
    What if Montoya was acquired for the purpose of sending to OTT?Would MTL straight up deal with OTT? (Like the two times CGY has delt with us….)

Just speculating from florida here….

Could be but I think its more probable that the general manger acknowledged that Brossoit was not meeting expectations of the back-up role and made a move to solidify the position for the rest of this year and next – as the fan base had been clamoring for.

78. JimmyV1965 says:

Thinker: Would a “fringe NHL player” be scratched 25 times, or be in the AHL right now?

I would call a fringe NHL player someone who plays let’s say 200 gamies or less over four or five seasons. Someone who is shuffled between the NHL and AHL, but doesn’t stick. I would say they often play for two or more teams. Someone on the fringe of the NHL.

79. HT Joe says:

400lb men ARE included in the calculation of average male body weight. So are grossly underweight people. That’s how average values are calculated.

Just how hockey players like Chelios (1600+ GP) are included in the average calculation, along with players whose careers last only a couple of games.

But I think if you’re going to say that players who play close to an average number of games are fringe players, would you care to suggest what is keeping them in the NHL for that long other than what can only be assumed is an average amount of skill?

80. Spooky Lynx says:

Axel Jonsson looks like a taller Caggs out there. Seems like he’s barely in control of his body and stick, but he flys around the rink.

And you’ve gotta love the flow.

81. Munny says:

Montoya has been out 6 weeks with a concussion. 34 year-olds sidelined indefinitely with concussions are usually only a written speech away from retirement.

This is bizarre, as LT says above.

Makes one wonder if there’s been some quid pro quo and back again with the whole Desharnais-Davidson process.

82. JimmyV1965 says:

geowal: Way to move that goalpost.

I’m not going to get into a whole big thing here because life is too short. I apologize for moving the goal posts, but my point still stands. M and O are fringe NHL players. These guys are 25 and have yet to play full time. And yes Marincin stuck with the Leafs two years ago for the full season.

83. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny:
    Montoya has been out 6 weeks with a concussion.34 year-olds sidelined indefinitely with concussions are usually only a written speech away from retirement.

This is bizarre, as LT says above.

He’s 32, not 34.

He had a concussion, he’s now been deemed healthy and cleared to play.

32 is far from old for a goalie.

He is a proven established veteran back-up goalie – solid in that role.

It seems like many in the fanbase are predicting a material drop off in play because he had an injury – from accounts he’s recovered – players get injured and recover all the time, pretty much every player.

84. OriginalPouzar says:

LT mentioned something about a potential Ellis injury yesterday – I wonder if that’s true as Pasquale is starting for Bakersfield again tonight (he played last game – did stop something like 44 of 45 – give or take).

85. Munny says:

Dube… who else?

86. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: 32 is far from old for a goalie.

Did I say it was? Did I say 34 was?

87. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: He had a concussion, he’s now been deemed healthy and cleared to play.

You’d think he would’ve been immediately activated then. He has not been. I’m guessing you have an official source stating he has been cleared?

Activation might also be subject to clearance by Oiler doctors, which could be part of the delay. Who’s to know since the NHL keeps its internecine protocols so close to the chest.

Another suspicion, which I left unsaid in my original post, was that perhaps Montoya was cleared some time ago, but was being a good soldier until the Habs could find him a landing spot.

There are some curious aspects to the situation.

Might be true, maybe not.

88. OriginalPouzar says:

Benoit Pouliot is a healthy scratch for BUF tonight.

Interesting as many have used his buyout as an example of a bad move by Chiarelli – maybe was a bad move and maybe it still is but, after a solid start to the year by Pouliot, it seems he’s struggling now.

89. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: Ethan Bear just missed as much time (if not more) with a concussion – perhaps we need to move on from him?

Well, this is a pretty spurious comparison.

Bear is far younger and one presumes has had fewer concussions. Both of these factors are material.

90. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: Its almost like some/many are hoping he fails so that they can continue to spew vitriol toward the GM.

I have no idea why this line is in a reply to me.

91. OriginalPouzar says:

Malone from Lowe and Callaghan.

92. €v¥£€us says:

Just turned to the Wings Panthers game, what a phenomenal goal by Michael Matheson. Probably more impressive in real time and was scored with less than 2 seconds left in the period. Wow, just wow

93. Munny says:

Shortie by Sverige

94. Munny says:

Conor Timmins had a helluva shift just before the commercial break

95. nelson88 says:

Samourkov now 1G 1A +4. two very good games since returning.

96. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Benoit Pouliot is a healthy scratch for BUF tonight.

From late December…

Not only has Pouliot pulled his weight on the score sheet, he has also contributed significantly to the Sabres’ much-improved penalty kill unit.

While at a glance Pouliot’s production doesn’t appear particularly impressive, he’s doing all of the little things right. Though he will likely never live up to his draft status, he has carved out a nice little niche for himself in Buffalo. If he can keep it up, he’ll command a modest pay increase on the open market next offseason.

Noteworthy…

As the trade deadline approaches and injuries continue to pile up across the league, Botterill could opt to flip the veteran winger to a team with playoff aspirations looking to boost their bottom-six. Though Pouliot has played well this season, he likely won’t factor into the Sabres’ future plans.

Could maybe be traded? Guess we’ll see.

He’s a serviceable player and would be very useful to have on this team right now.

97. AsiaOil says:

Woodguy v2.0: NHL back ups play for many teams in many markets.

Most just want a 2 year deal and not a one year deal.

Don’t buy it, especially with 97 on the team and a new rink.

All NHL players want to be treated fairly, but especially goalies. Post-Sather the Oilers developed a reputation as a goalie graveyard, who aside from Rolo, really didn’t treat their goalies terribly well. It’s not just a 2 year deal that goalies want. The best backups get several offers of that sort and they take one from the best org who will give them a fair shake. Life is tenuous for a backup. One bad run and your NHL career is done. Look what happened to Scrivens and Fasth, and is was pretty clear that the Oilers almost destroyed Dubnyk’s career for no particularly good reason. Fair was not associated with the Oilers and people notice. IMHO this is why they have given LB so much rope. They had to appear to give him a legit shot (which in my opinion they did) before they ditch him to continue rebuilding their reputation in the goalie market. Bottomline is that you just can’t sign anyone, they have to want to sign, and the pre-McDavid Oilers had to overpay even mediocre players to get them on the roster. The team is still working to change their well-deserved bad reputation with goaltenders, but it’s going to take some time and a few decisions like how they handled LB to fix it.

98. Pouzar says:

Eddie P. getting a material push in BAK.

99. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny: You’d think he would’ve been immediately activated then.He has not been.I’m guessing you have an official source stating he has been cleared?

Activation might also be subject to clearance by Oiler doctors, which could be part of the delay.Who’s to know since the NHL keeps its internecine protocols so close to the chest.

There are some curious aspects to the situation.

Might be true, maybe not.

Chiarelli said that Borssoit will be travelling with the team to Dallas and Montoya will meet him there and then management will make the determination on roster moves. He said they didn’t want to make a move too early as you never know what could happen (a player could get sick, etc.).

100. OriginalPouzar says:

nelson88:
    Samourkov now 1G 1A +4.two very good games since returning.

Thank you for the update – I didn’t realize that Guelph was playing tonight.

Plus 4 with a 4-1 lead is very impressive.

He is putting up box cars with regularity now – seems like he’s getting more and more comfortable.

101. leadfarmer says:

OmJo,

Cap hit to stay on the Oilers 4 mil. Cap hit at 50% retention 2 mil. Contract he signed with Buffalo 1.15 mil. Any questions?

102. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: Well, yes, as I was responding to a post about offence at the AHL level.

*best North Dakota accent*

Well ok then.

103. Woodguy v2.0 says:

digger50:
    Just another perspective to share…

I agree.

Maroon’s skillset isn’t duplicated on the roster.

EDM should trade for Lucic or Kassian.

104. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Munny:
    NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Pays way better than the AHL and you’re still playing hockey for a living at a pretty great wage and living the dream.

105. Woodguy v2.0 says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): If he sees it that way, then that’s great and good for him. It could also go the other way. You could be right. Let’s hope. Healthy competition in net has not happened in quite some time. Wouldn’t mind seeing Talbot pushed more, but having a backup who might be able to play 20 games capably is more important at this point. I do think Talbot was overworked last year.

This year’s star pupil is Ryan Miller who puts up a .935 in 11 games while Gibson puts up .924 as the starter and another goalie I’ve always liked, Reto Berra puts up a .932 in 4 games.

I know Lindholm is a top 5 Dman in the NHL but he doesn’t play 60 minutes, nor is he a wizard.

Starting goalies like Miller usually get used as starters past the age where they should and they decline quickly.

Seeing teams use them as backups with backup frequency might extend their shelf life.

Its not like they’re expensive either.

Miller costs less than Montoya.

1 year contract too. Might have been thinking he can get another starters contract by doing one year, but making a million in the NHL is a good way to pass time.

106. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Scungilli Slushy,

The analysis around prospects IS about finding impact players.

Like baseball, if you can hit .300 for a career you’re among the best of all time.

Getting a player in the 2nd round who plays 177 NHL games is a win.

Seriously.

107. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Benoit Pouliot is a healthy scratch for BUF tonight.

No, it was a terrible move.

108. jtblack says:

PROSPECT UPDATE: Our Boy, Benson, just scored on our boy, Skinner.

109. jtblack says:

PROSPECT UPDATE: As I finished the 1st update; our boy Benson just beat our boy Skinner; again !

110. Woodguy v2.0 says:

AsiaOil: All NHL players want to be treated fairly, but especially goalies.Post-Sather the Oilers developed a reputation as a goalie graveyard, who aside from Rolo, really didn’t treat their goalies terribly well.It’s not just a 2 year deal that goalies want. The best backups get several offers of that sort and they take one from the best org who will give them a fair shake. Life is tenuous for a backup. One bad run and your NHL career is done. Look what happened to Scrivens and Fasth, and is was pretty clear that the Oilers almost destroyed Dubnyk’s career for no particularly good reason. Fair was not associated with the Oilers and people notice. IMHO this is why they have given LB so much rope. They had to appear to give him a legit shot (which in my opinion they did) before they ditch him to continue rebuilding their reputation in the goalie market.Bottomline is that you just can’t sign anyone, they have to want to sign, and the pre-McDavid Oilers had to overpay even mediocre players to get them on the roster. The team is still working to change their well-deserved bad reputation with goaltenders, but it’s going to take some time and a few decisions like how they handled LB to fix it.

None of that matters.

Also,

Use paragraphs.

111. AsiaOil says:

Woodguy v2.0: I’m fascinated by the former very good starters who are killing the backup role.

Its not like they’re expensive either.

Miller costs less than Montoya.

1 year contract too.Might have been thinking he can get another starters contract by doing one year, but making a million in the NHL is a good way to pass time.

Good players can pick their spots.

112. nelson88 says:

Woodguy v2.0: None of that matters.

Also,

Use paragraphs.

source?

non game nights are usually enjoyable. please don’t spoil this one.

113. OmJo says:

leadfarmer:
    OmJo,

Cap hit to stay on the Oilers 4 mil.Cap hit at 50% retention 2 mil.Contract he signed with Buffalo 1.15 mil.Any questions?

Wait, are we paying Pouliot more than Buffalo is? His cap hit here is 1.33.

114. AsiaOil says:

Woodguy v2.0: None of that matters.

Also,

Use paragraphs.

Well here I am on my best new year’s behavior and trying to have a discussion and you are being well…..less so. My track record with goalies speaks for itself – but if you want to suggest that you know what’s important and what isn’t – well your comments about Miller suggest otherwise. Good day sir…and for heaven’s sake….cheer up.

115. Munny says:

Unbelievable goal! I almost feel bad for Sverige.

Canada! Plus Benson has two goals.

117. nelson88 says:

Canada! Plus Benson has two goals.

and the Sens came back to beat San Jose in overtime. …;)

Congrats to the Canadian Jr’s. Excellent stuff.

118. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: I read yesterday that he was cleared on Jan 1 – I think it was in the game thread – not sure what the original source was.

So he hasn’t been cleared then, since he is still on the IR.

119. Munny says:

Woodguy v2.0: It tells him that EDM isn’t going to qualify him and he might ask his agent to start looking for jobs in Europe.

Thank you for the speculation–it’s important to have all the possibilities on the table. But that’s all this is… a possible future.

120. hunter1909 says:

AsiaOil: Good day sir…and for heaven’s sake….cheer up.

Woodguy is cheerful enough.

When people post with oversized paragraphs, oftentimes they believe they’re on the way to making a greater level of communicating their point which is of course nonsense. Understanding is the secret of effective communication. Oversized paragraphs are difficult to read and therefore hinder communication.

You probably might not know it, but when Woodguy corrects someone, more often than not it’s made in a reasonably friendly manner. Just because he doesn’t go through life grinning at everything has no bearing on his innate happiness.

121. OriginalPouzar says:

nelson88:
    Samourkov now 1G 1A +4.two very good games since returning.

Thank you for the update – I didn’t realize that Guelph was playing tonight.

Plus 4 with a 4-1 lead is very impressive.

I’ve been wondering since the Montoya acquisition if it means they are not planning on giving Brossoit a qualifying offer and letting him go in free agency – it would mean they were really unimpressed with his play in Talbot’s absence as they felt high enough on him to gift him the starters’ role this past fall.

Is Wells turning pro next year?

Is Starret ready to back-up Ellis in Bakersfield?

122. VOR says:

The reason you don’t focus on impact players at the draft is that there is absolutely no way of distinguishing between impact NHL players and fringe players once you move out of the top few consensus picks. Every team believes it is drafting impact players. Very few get it right.

One of my favorite hockey stories is about a rare exception to that rule. And I have told this story before, but it bears repeating. It explains why the draft fascinates me so.

The draft is over and the scouting staff for this team are all at the bar. They are not their celebrating. They are drowning their sorrows.

The day has been a clusterf**k from the get go. First their management handcuffed them with a weird draft for need policy. They weren’t supposed to draft anything but centers and defencemen. This in a year loaded with high end forwards. Then every player on their board got picked before they had a chance. Worst of all the league shafted them out of a chance at a player they believed was the one and only generational talent in the draft.

They actually sat around the table in the bar taking bets on which of their draft picks would ever see an NHL ice surface. They all thought their first rounder would have a career, though most thought, correctly that it would be as a two way player. A couple thought there was a late rounder sleeper who’d be a great checker. One brave soul believed their second round choice, a dman, might have a career.

Not a single member of the scouting staff believed there was a chance any of the other kids would play in the NHL. With their draft board shredded and the world conspiring against them they had taken ridiculous fliers. Now they were sitting there depressed by all the alcohol they had consumed regretting their foolishness.

But it is of course that foolishness, those throw away picks they made while getting shafted out of being able to draft Pavel Bure that turned a craptastic team into one of the greatest hockey teams of all time. So these scouts had just had the best day at the office of any set of scouts in NHL history. And they had no frigging clue. Had you told them that along with a fine crop of very useful pros they had drafted a legend (Fedorov) and an immortal (Lidstrom) they would have thought you were even drunker than they were.

This explains the draft in one simple story. Spotting talent takes hard work. It is a skill that can be learned, refined and mastered. But no matter how much mastery you achieve you won’t be able to say with certainty who the impact players in any given draft are. Luck will still set the table.

So what do you do about that?

123. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: No, it was a terrible move.

I never said it wasn’t – i was simply pointing out that he is struggling right now and is being healthy scratched by a bad team.

124. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny: So he hasn’t been cleared then, since he is still on the IR.

Being cleared and being taken off IR are two different things.

125. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: Being cleared and being taken off IR are two different things.

If a player is healthy and is still on the IR, the team is circumventing roster limits and accordingly is subject to investigation by the League Commissioner and subsequent disciplinary action.

I take it, since you are spouting semantical truisms, you still have no source.

126. Diablo says:

VOR:

Loved this post.VOR – I always felt that Holland and their staff was more lucky than good.

Could you tell me what the source of your information is regarding that draft, cause I loved to read about this in greater detail.

127. Johnny skid says:

hunter1909: Because you’re one of the smarter people around here, I’d like to know what your opinion is of the 2017-18 season to date. Actually, there are many people who would like to know what your opinion is.

nicely said hunter, i would also be interested in AsiaOil’s take on this season.

128. OriginalPouzar says:

The trade happened yesterday night – he hasn’t even had a chance to join the team and get checked by the Oiler doctors.

The coach was very clear that the team did their due diligence on the player medically and that he would join the team on the weekend and management would then make the required decisions.

I can’t imagine anyone really thinks they traded for a player that is injured with term and will be unavailable to the team.

This is an insufferable conversation.

129. VOR says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Scungilli Slushy,

The analysis around prospects IS about finding impact players.

Getting a player in the 2nd round who plays 177 NHL games is a win.

Seriously.

I like to talk to people about the members of the 37 point club. At the peak of their careers they all had 37 points. At the bottom they all scored ten or less in a full season of play. Obviously marginal fringe NHLers .

Then I tell them club includes Jimmy Roberts. This is usually where they say who? It doesn’t help when I refer to him as the Captain of the All Ugly Team. Or the Captain of the St. Louis Blues or that he was a materially violent part of 5 Stanley Cups or that he was Scotty Bowman’s Toby Peterson all the way back to the Peterborough Pete’s.

So I usually move on to Kyle Brodziak. This is usually where I get told there is no point drafting these guys because you can pick them up in free agency every year. This is when I ask, can you get Fernando Pisani in free agency every year?

My point is that to some people these guys are all fringe NHLers. To NHL coaches they are the guy you throw out to damn the river. The guy TMac would have deployed when the wheels were falling off in the playoffs against Anaheim if he had anybody close to as good defensively as these three guys.

So what is a fringe NHLer?

130. AsiaOil says:

hunter1909: Woodguy is cheerful enough.

WG is smart as a tack and just as prickly sometimes – I’m no wall flower either – but he was simply trying to use a writing style critique as a cover for a failed argument that he didn’t even try to support. He’s way better than that. Plus I’ve been posting with LT since our days on HF almost 20 years ago and I don’t think I need grammar lessons from him. It doesn’t show a lot of respect when not accompanied by any debate points.

I don’t post much other than on goalie issues – but since you asked – the season can be best summed up a “sh*t happens” IMHO. Goaltending is critical and we didn’t have it until recently. We are a mirror of WPG last year. Same teams mostly – different results – most of it goaltending. Special teams are off and I lay a lot of that on the coaching staff being too stubborn with systems that are both predictable and not working, and on player usage (eg Letestu). The young guys didn’t seem to be prepared for the next step or how hard it is to be a contender. They probably expected it to be easier than it actually is. That’s a maturity issue and we will see how they grow up. I don’t like the 4th line which gets shellacked in terms of possession and GF% – or the chaotic development of the young guys who need way more stability than they’ve recieved. Can’t lose games because of your 4th line.

But I play this year like you are in it to the end and make hockey moves that help next year when better goaltending, lady luck smiling a bit more, and more maturity probably produces much different results. The core is still really young and I think they got their noses rubbed in it this season. They likely start next season in a far different frame of mind. Still could use a 2RHD and 2RW plus a bit more speed all around. It’s a good team getting poor results – it happens – and you don’t tear the team apart becuase of it.

131. JimmyV1965 says:

VOR:

So what do you do about that?

132. Jethro Tull says:

hunter1909: Woodguy is cheerful enough.

Short paragraphs are used by tabloid press to communicate with those of lesser reading comprehension. Fact.

Thr secret of good communication is the transmission of a comprehensible message and a reception that can be understood by the recipient. Always has been.

133. Bruce McCurdy says:

Pitlick, Tyler
    Oesterle, Jordan

Exhibit A:
    Dubnyk: traded for Hendricks
    Petry: Traded for picks
    Cogliano: Traded for a pick
    Brodziak: traded with a pick for picks (& guess which pick became an NHLer)
    Chorney: waived, then walked at 24

Exhibit B:
    Pitlick: lost on open market as a Group VI free agent
    Oesterle: lost on open market as a Group VI free agent

Apples & oranges. Oilers got pretty unlucky with Pitlick especially, he never made it to 80 games despite spending his entire last year on the NHL roster after two decent cups of coffee earlier. Then Dallas offered him three years on a one-way deal. Should Oilers have outbid them? Maybe; they sure could have used T.P. at times this year given the lack of anyone seizing the day at RW.

Oesterle got a look in each of his 3 seasons here, showed promise, but didn’t come close to the 80 games & both sides appeared to move on. But it was a different situation from actively dumping the guys on the first list.

Damn Group VI cost the team some valuable depth, but them’s the rules.

134. VOR says:

JimmyV1965: I think you are absolutely right about that when it comes to individual drafts and individual players. Each one is really a gamble and there are many surprises. But over the course of say 10 years don’t you think the good teams and good drafters will consistently make better picks and create their own luck? I don’t think it’s just luck that Tampa produces more impact players than the Oilers have. I’m hoping of course that changes with Chia.

The Oilers were once this team. Three great Barry Frazier drafts lead to multiple Stanley Cups. Messier, Anderson, Coffey, Kurri, Fuhr, Moog, Tikkanen, and some other useful parts like Kevin Lowe, all in three years.

That said, I think Tampa has a far superior development model in comparison to Edmonton, before or after Chia. I am not sure Tampa is drafting better. As I said in an earlier post, your development program is a critical factor in draft success or the lack thereof.

Also success at the draft table slowly subverts itself. The opportunity available to new draftees begins to shrink as you fill up your roster.

135. JimmyV1965 says:

VOR: I think there is always a flavour of the month in drafting, some team that drafts remarkably well for a few years and then slowly slip, slides and away. Recent examples are Chicago, Los Angeles, St. Louis, and now probably Tampa.

Also, do you attribute the Oilers ineptitude to bad development then? I know for years I hated their second round picks. They always seemed to go for high character guys with limited upside.

136. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

JimmyV1965: The Red Wings are another example of a team that has slipped. From what I understand though the Red Wings had some super scout in Europe and they maybe exploited a market other teams had neglected. Could that be happening with some of these teams like Tampa now or the Blues?

Tampa: we flagged several years ago here that they were going after the undervalued skill players:

Russians.
    The KHL factor was a real threat. Everyone knew Kucherov was a 1st round talent. Several of us wanted the Oilers to take a stab and were cursing the smarts of Stevie Y when they pulled the trigger.

When you find a weakness in the market’s valuations you exploit it. Example, right handed D are overvalued right now because of a lack of quality supply. You can then turn Adam Larsson, a top 30 ish RHD into a top 5 LW.

137. OriginalPouzar says:

Game Day!

Back to back wins in afternoon games on the road against teams in the wild card race?

Lets Do This!

138. GMB3 says:

I feel like this “super scout” theory (not saying you’re wrong about there actually being a super scout, there could have been) isn’t as relevant nowadays. Prior to the internet we knew way less about players in Europe. If someone was playing for a less prestigious team in a far flung corner in Russia, teams probably didn’t even know he was out there. I think before the internet became what it is today, having a really good European scout probably gave you a significant advantage. Not even because of talent identification per say, but having a network of people that might bring an unknown and unscouted player to your attention.

I remember reading about the scout who found pavel datsyuk and I believe he was playing for a smaller less known team in Russia and he hadn’t been scouted by many other teams, so while this scout was trying to push for them to draft them in an earlier round the red wings staff believed he would be available later on. It was a while ago that I read that, so my memory may be a little bit off.

139. OriginalPouzar says:

Samorukov’s goal last night was similar to his goal the previous game – snuck into the high a lot and ripped a snap shot home from the top of the circles – nice release in this kid.

140. Woodguy v2.0 says:

AsiaOil: Miller’s contract is $2 million AAV and he wanted to go to Cali for “personal reasons”.

Good players can pick their spots.

I agree good players can pick spots.

Journeymen back ups not as much and will work for term.

141. Woodguy v2.0 says:

AsiaOil,

No, I didn’t find anything in your wall of text that was reasonable.

I think you’re pretty sharp too, but suggesting that EDM would have trouble signing a decent back up goalie for the reasons you listed doesn’t hold any water.

Good backups sign with bad teams all the time, it just costs term or you have to overpay a bit, but overpaying a backup is $2MM x 1, so its gambles you can take.

Backups are guns for hire.

To think they’d turn down a contract in EDM because of Fasth and Scrivens flushing out makes no sense to me, especially after the had brought Nilsson back to the NHL and re-kickstarted his career.

Talbot wasn’t outstanding his first season with EDM. The back up position would have looked awful tasty in the summer of 2016 to many who might think “if I outplay him I could take a starter job”

142. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Getzlaf wondering when he will finally get some calls.

Ok then…..

Who does he think he is, Lebron James?

Mind you, this is the tactic they used in the Playoffs. Complain about the reffing and somehow get the refs on your side…

« Older Comments