G42 2017-18: Oilers at Stars

Growing up in Saskatchewan, January Saturdays were the ones I remember best. On Friday night, after the chores were done, Dad would let us keep the outside light on and my brother and I would play hockey on the driveway. He was four years older and got to be Bobby Orr (I would choose the Leafs, Keon) and we’d play until maybe 10 o’clock. I’ve been colder in my life than on those nights, but only because I’d get up on Saturday mornings early and play on the same driveway alone (it was even colder, I was a damned fool). Saturdays I was Orr, making both me and Davey Keon happy (I was a poor Keon). My obsession with the game blossomed on a small stretch of land 17 miles north of Maidstone, Saskatchewan in what my Mom referred to as “the middle of the damned night.” I can still feel the itch from my Stanfield’s long underwear, specially made for crazy kids too dumb to come in from the cold. I miss those days, especially on Saturday.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

TABERNAC SATURDAY, YEAR OVER YEAR

• January 2016: 2-0-0, goal differential +1
  • January 2017: 1-1-0, goal differential -1
  • January 2018: 1-1-0, goal differential -5

G3 2016 was a 3-2 loss to the Lightning, Oilers scoring two early and giving up three goals in the final frame. G3 2017 was a 2-1 overtime win over the Devils. Edmonton beat Dallas in two of three a year ago, scoring 14 and allowing six. The Stars have better goaltending this year.

AFTER 42, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 17-21-3, goal differential -23 (37 points)
  • Oilers 16-17: 21-13-7, goal differential +10 (49 points)
  • Oilers 17-18: 18-20-3, goal differential -16 (39 points)

G43 2016 was a loss to Tampa Bay (3-2) as above and last year Edmonton lost 5-3 to Ottawa, mostly because Jonas Gustavsson stopped only 13 of 17 shots.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM JANUARY

• At home to: Los Angeles, Anaheim (Expected 0-1-1) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: Dallas, Chicago, Nashville, Arizona, Vegas (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Vancouver, Buffalo, Calgary (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 4-4-2, 10 points in 10 games
  • Current results: 1-1-0, two points in two games

I’ve chosen 85 points as the Oilers “reasonable goal” for this season. It’s not a playoff number but if Edmonton finishes (as an example) 20-15-6, 46 points their final record would be 38-35-9, 85 points. That’s a reasonable expectation from here.

RE: HALFWAY HOME

As you know, I do an RE series in summer, projecting the roster for the following season and estimating point totals. This past summer was a real challenge, mostly because there was so much roster uncertainty. Looking at my projections and then checking the half-time numbers, it’s fascinating to see how the auditions worked out.

• I had the Oilers at +49 goals and the team is -16 goal differential at this time. I’m hopeful the team can get out of the blue and into the black.
  • Connor McDavid’s season is a masterpiece, considering the uncertainty on his line through the first half. I expect he’ll deliver close to 100 points this season, possibly more.
  • Jesse Puljujarvi has scored more than the other auditioning wingers who gave me such a difficult time last summer. He is on pace to play the exact number of games I estimated and in the range in terms of point total. I’m proud of that projection.
  • Milan Lucic should exceed my projection by as much as 10 points, while Patrick Maroon will come in around the expected range.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins posted the most impressive first half among the forwards, with 30 goals a possibility.
  • Leon Draisaitl is shy of my projections, important to remember I had him at right-wing on McDavid’s line 70 percent of the season. I believe he has delivered a solid first half  under trying circumstances.
  • Drake Caggiula is the second of those baffling young wingers, I was able to surround his expectations pretty well.
  • Ryan Strome hasn’t delivered the offense predicted but he also hasn’t played 30 percent of his year with 97. I’d say his numbers are in the range with RE if we factor in usage.
  • Jujhar Khaira has delivered beyond expectations, I faded him among the young forwards and he overdelivered and robbed Anton Slepyshev and others of playing time.
  • Mark Letestu surpassed expectations and is close to my yearly expectations. I thought coach McLellan would have found a replacement for ML on the power play, which still could come this season.
  • Kris Russell put the boots to my RE and kept going. Offensively this may end up being his finest season in the NHL.
  • Matt Benning is in the range of expectations, the young defender has had some issues with consistency and coverage but the offense is there.
  • Darnell Nurse is blossoming as a player, he’ll cover his RE and then some (healthy season is a nice development). He has stepped into a more prominent role and handled it well, a very good development for this organization.
  • Oscar Klefbom has struggled with injuries and consistency this season but his shot volume this season has been incredible. His numbers should regress (the good kind) over the second half of the season.
  • Adam Larsson hasn’t done as well moving the puck this season, some of that probably due to his back issues. I’m less certain of his recovery than I am about Klefbom.
  • Cam Talbot’s numbers are the most disappointing on the team. If he had posted the .920sp projected, 14 fewer goals would have found their way to the net. If Talbot doesn’t recover in the second half of the season, suspect we see a Mathieu Garon edition to the team over the summer.

569 Responses to "G42 2017-18: Oilers at Stars"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. OmJo says:

I leave to shower and come back and it’s 0-3.

Seguin, another gem given away by General Disappointment.

2. OmJo says:

texmex:
    John Shannon

Verified account

@JSportsnet2m2 minutes ago
    It should be noted that both Wayne Gretzky and Bob Nicholson are in Dallas watching the Oilers-Stars game.

3-0 Stars.

JS hinting at something???

Gretzky gonna put skates on and start PKing.

3. Pouzar says:

Good News: I took Over 5.5 goals.
    Bad News: Dallas needs 3 more.

4. Ben says:

Oh man. Gretzky’s actually going to end up as GM here, isn’t he?

@JSportsnet
    Following Following @JSportsnet

5. JD_Wry says:

Next goal options:

1) Oilers score, keep watching.

2) Stars score, go golfing.

6. hunter1909 says:

After 1 period already I’m tempted to go to the Death March website and update tonight’s game as a Star’s win.

7. Bruce McCurdy says:

Gerta Rauss:
    This is awful-Benn/Seguin scoring at will

Radulov with 8 points in 7 periods vs the Oil. Stone cold killer

8. Nailer Yakumoto says:

Whatever happens, as long as Puljujarvi doesn’t get any PP1 time, we should be good.

-Oilers coaches, probably.

9. russ99 says:

Shit. Gretzky would be an awful GM. Superstar players always have a problem coaching and managing, since nobody can ever be at their level.

Not sure I can take another 10 years of losing chasing that “Oilers Hockey” BS.

10. Scungilli Slushy says:

Munny: I worked with Bob at Mo’s back in the day, but IIRC, he also worked at an Italian place in Terwilligar,

11. Pescador says:

The Hangover is on encore,
    I decided to enjoy my Saturday

12. Bag of Pucks says:

Dino:
    Keep in mind Chiarelli KNEW Sekera was injured and would be for a few months into the season and he knew in August that Klefbom wasn’t 100% and was playing with a shoulder injury.

This offseason Vegas was giving away defensemen for picks. Pretty sure Methot went for a midround pick.

He CHOSE to enter the season without his 2 best defenders from last year playing or playing healthy. And people want the coach’s head?

Because they have a healthy roster now and they stink.

Horrible PK. Stubborness with Leon at RW. Poor defensive zone coverage. Lack of offensive finish. Etc. Etc. Etc.

It’s the players or the coach, or both, and you can’t fire all the players.

13. OmJo says:

Ben:
    Oh man. Gretzky’s actually going to end up as GM here, isn’t he?

@JSportsnet
    Following Following @JSportsnet

Maybe Keith Gretzky. I would be shocked if Wayne takes a managerial role with another NHL team.

Yes, even on the Oilers.

14. Side says:

Is it just me or have the Oilers stopped the dump and chase into the offensive zone’s corners and have replaced it with the “cross ice blue line pass into 100 skates” strategy?

15. hunter1909 says:

So long as it’s not as coach, Gretzky can play GM and I’m happy with that.

If all the Oilers end up with is the first stringers from the OBC like Gretzky and Messier I’ll be happy with that too.

I’m officially nuts.

16. Pouzar says:

atta boy Letestu

17. JD_Wry says:

russ99: Stars always have a problem coaching and managing

Yzerman says hi.

18. Derek says:

I’m glad we were all able to share this brief time together where we thought our beloved team was free from the shadow of the past. Last season was so much fun but I don’t think it was a bright enough light to sustain me through another decade of Darryl Katz and his homeboys longing for the good old days.

19. OmJo says:

russ99:

Not sure I can take another 10 years of losing chasing that “Oilers Hockey” BS.

Yzerman and Sakic say hi.

20. russ99 says:

JD_Wry: Yzerman says hi.

21. leadfarmer says:

These guys are just showing us how little skill we actually have

22. LMHF#1 says:

hunter1909:
    So long as it’s not as coach, Gretzky can play GM and I’m happy with that.

I’m officially nuts.

The ‘A’ team would be fine.

It’s that they went with the ‘c’ squad that was the problem.

23. OmJo says:

#HereComeTheOilers

24. russ99 says:

Pull him. Enough.

25. Scungilli Slushy says:

russ99:
    Shit. Gretzky would be an awful GM. Stars always have a problem coaching and managing, since nobody can ever be at their level.

Not sure I can take another 10 years of losing chasing that “Oilers Hockey” BS.

I think it depends on the personality. Yzerman has acquitted himself very well. His personality also led him to do it somewhere other than Detroit.

I totally agree a big problem for most is chasing the team they were on as the league changes around them. Can’t have 7 world class players on your team anymore, at least for long.

26. Professor Q says:

Kicked in by Sekera. Great.

27. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Dino:

Keep in mind TMac KNEW Sekera was injured and would be for a few months into the season and he knew how important a fast start is to a young hockey team building on last years accomplishments.

He CHOSE to send JP down and keep KY for the full nine games. And people want the GM’s head?

Gee this is fun!

28. OriginalPouzar says:

The first game of the seven game threshold vests a little earlier than expected.

29. JD_Wry says:

russ99: Yzerman was never at Wayne’s level.

You said stars.

Okay, so below is a list of players at ‘Wayne’s level’:

– End of list.

30. hunter1909 says:

Bag of Pucks: It’s the players or the coach, or both, and you can’t fire all the players.

You can tell from the insane way they play a series of boring set systems(one of them being using someone to the right of the opposition goalie to hammer the puck in after a cross ice pass …never mind that the entire NHL knows this and prepares accordingly)…

Another one is where they have someone blast the puck from the other side and the entire NHL knows this also and is prepared = no Oilers goals

The “powerplay” consists of passing the puck endlessly around until it finally reaches the point the 2nd or 3rd time and then gets impotently blasted into the goalies pads etc.

31. Scungilli Slushy says:

The Oilers have great shot metrics this game!

32. OmJo says:

Was that Turco giving Talbot a tap on his way to the back?

33. Professor Q says:

russ99: Yzerman was never at Wayne’s level. More like Michael Jordan and his misadventures in the NBA post-player.

The Hornets aren’t that bad.

34. SwedishPoster says:

Oh dear.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

hunter1909: That’s worked out for the Oilers before, hasn’t it?

I don’t really care how its worked out in the past – I’ll take an influx of talent in to the organization.

36. russ99 says:

hunter1909: How the hell can 20 players all be screwing up, in the face of a coaching staff that has all kinds of powers to control the 20 players?

The systems themselves aren’t the issue, it’s that everyone knows it’s coming.

Need to change things up more. Every opponent watches tape these days,

37. Professor Q says:

McDavid should have buried it there. Instead he passed it from behind the goalie to the front of the net, while he was in between the goalie and an open net!!!

38. Pouzar says:

JD_Wry: You said stars.

Okay, so below is a list of players at ‘Wayne’s level’:

– End of list.

hee hee

39. BeerMe says:

Season is toast. I’ll start cheering again for this team next season. Hopefully TMac is gone by then.

40. OmJo says:

4 centres on one PP, and all of them are for the most part pass-first kind of players.

Lol.

41. Bling says:

Before tonight’s game, Talbot was 27/31 in save pct. amongst goalies with at least 20 starts.

How low will he go?

42. OmJo says:

Why does PP2 look better than PP1?

43. russ99 says:

It’s really not fair how McDavid works so damn hard and takes so many cheap shots,

And the rest of these guys aren’t even close to his commitment level.

If I were Nicholson, I’d sit down with Connor and ask him what’s going on.

44. Jethro Tull says:

We want ten!

45. Scungilli Slushy says:

BeerMe:

Cheer for the thing they are good at and have fun!

Ballin’ for Dahlin!

46. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Pescador:
    The Hangover is on encore,
    I decided to enjoy my Saturday

I actually haven’t watched an oilers game since the 4-3 loss to the Jets. And I’m definately happier for it. Less stress = better living. I do still get app notifications of goals and such, and still follow the Lowetide on game days, so I’m not out of the loop.

Come on Oilers! Let’s get us a Dahlin of a draft pick!

47. BeerMe says:

It’s been fun, guys. Going to start putting the games on either in the background, or not at all and just check the scoreboard or highlights. Definitely not going to be a primary activity in my life from now on, that’s for sure.

Another dark season in the books, I feel the familiar apathy creeping in.

48. leadfarmer says:

Ben:
    Oh man. Gretzky’s actually going to end up as GM here, isn’t he?

@JSportsnet
    Following Following @JSportsnet

Meh at this point can you actually be worse than Chia. Tmac lost the room a long time ago

49. Ben says:

Here’s the weird thing about this team, though: I’m positive that they’re generally getting outscored WAY more severely than they’re being outplayed.

Is it luck? Grittitude? Voodoo? (I’ll go with “lack of finishing skill”).

50. OriginalPouzar says:

BeerMe:

Another dark season in the books, I feel the familiar apathy creeping in.

I’m still going to watch each and every game.

Even if playoffs are out of the question, I still am invested in this team and want to see how each player is playing, how players are developing, etc.

I will continue to talk about Oiler hockey as one of my favorite things to do and, if I don’t watch the games, I essentially won’t know what I’m talking about with respect to the players, the coaching decisions, etc.

51. Bag of Pucks says:

We should probably get the hashtag decided.

#FireTMac

Or

#NewOilerHC

The second one seems more optimistic?

52. hunter1909 says:

russ99: The systems themselves aren’t the issue, it’s that everyone knows it’s coming.

Need to change things up more. Every opponent watches tape these days,

In my convoluted clumsy way I was trying to say exactly what you just wrote.

53. OmJo says:

Nurse gonna fak Faksa up.

54. Pouzar says:

Pitlick gamin Corsi.

55. trencan says:

We are slow, bad skating, shots from far distance good for warm up a goalie. The players often dont know where to be or what to do, poor one on one…. There are too many problems and this team is not that bad… It looks like the coach lost the team.

56. Dino says:

Ben:

Is it luck? Grittitude? Voodoo? (I’ll go with “lack of finishing skill”).

Really? Can you remember how many grade A chances the Oilers have? Because the stars have had at least 10 per period so far. The Stars are just toying with our defence at this point and our forwards not named Mcdavid can’t generate scoring chances to save their lives. So yes we are outshooting but not outplaying.

57. Gret99zky says:

russ99:

Not necessarily.

Gretzky should know what superstar players need to be successful.

He could call Slats for some advice.

The other GMs may want to get into the Great One’s good books by losing a little value in a trade.

His list of drinking buddies must be epic.

(Disclaimer: I in no way endorse Wayne Douglas Gretzky as the next GM of this team.)

58. Shingen says:

I need to start playing ProLine on the weekends. Afternoon games = guarenteed losses.

59. Munny says:

Scungilli Slushy: I worked with him at Red Robin. At some point around then he started on campus radio. He had some good stories about responses he got with his commentary. Not a shy fellow back in the day.

Ahh yes, i remember him having that gig too. And no, he’s never been a shy lad, lol.

60. OriginalPouzar says:

Its 4-0 – I wouldn’t mind seeing Drai or Nuge as 1LW with McDavid and JP.

61. Professor Q says:

“Contact with Bishop.”

Bullsh**. He sticks his body outside of the crease, to the side of the net, to interfere with players sidelining the net.

62. Munny says:

At work and missing this game… seems like a good game to miss.

63. OmJo says:

At least they’re trying.

64. admiralmark says:

I seriously can’t believe we have posters here in favour of Gretzky as GM?! Unbelievable.

65. hunter1909 says:

4-0? That’s it. Season officially over! http://www.oilersdeathmarch.com is back!

66. OriginalPouzar says:

1) Nurse – hit the net

2) Slep – terrible hands

67. hunter1909 says:

admiralmark:

It’s more or less a function of Chiarelli coming in to clean house then we discover he’s been running a ponzi scheme to pay for the drywall.

68. OmJo says:

Getting the pressure, getting position, getting shots…

But no God damned finishers to score goals…

69. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

OriginalPouzar,

Ya I was in favor of giving Sleppy and Caggs another run with Drai but there was nothing jiving and I fault Sleppy on goal 3 after he picked up no one in front after his check circled behind the net.

He’s quickly running out of chances

Too bad really, hope he gets it going where ever he lands

70. flyfish1168 says:

Good thing about an afternoon game is I have time to get over this mess before heading to bed.

71. Professor Q says:

Those old Bruins jerseys were quite something.

72. JD_Wry says:

Gretz looked nervous. Like he was just about to inherit a pile of shit.

73. OmJo says:

admiralmark:

Would Gretzky really be worse than General Disappointment?

What would he have to do to be worse than Chia?

74. Feelin Saad says:

Oiler’s fans are going through all 7 stages of grief every game:

shock or disbelief – how is the team bad? we didn’t really trade Hall and Eberle did we?
    denial – we’re a good team! Lots of underlying stats agree, it’s all PDO!
    bargaining – please don’t make any more trades Peter, I’ll stop saying you’re terrible at trades!
    guilt – I might have said Taylor Hall was the problem in the dressing room without any inside info. I feel bad about my contributing to the rumor mongering.
    anger – WTF? WTF! W. T. F.
    depression – *sobs over McDavid’s ELC having no success*
    acceptance/hope – Peter is an NHL GM. He’ll make a trade that will actually help and not hurt Edmonton the next time!

75. Ben says:

Dino,

We’ve had at least three instances of players being alone in front of the net with the puck without getting a SOG, bunch of other quality chances. Nothing to show for it.

Feels like our slot is an expressway, opponent’s slot a parking lot. Fwiw.

76. JD_Wry says:

Stormtrooper level shooting there.

77. OriginalPouzar says:

Drai now with Khaira and Kass – the wingers that started on the 4th line.

Its about time Drai got some of our best 4 wingers in my opinion.

He’s been carrying around dregs for a month now (and generally producing – prior to the last few games).

78. JD_Wry says:

JD_Wry:
    Gretz looked nervous. Like he was just about to inherit a pile of shit.

And then the guy standing between him and Bob gave him a ‘there there’ pat on the shoulder.

79. Bruce McCurdy says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Drai now with Khaira and Kass – the wingers that started on the 4th line.

Its about time Drai got some of our best 4 wingers in my opinion.

I was just saying to my wife, maybe they could try strapping a 200 pound weight on each of Leon’s arms to see if maybe that works?

80. blainer says:

Just checking in on the game today. I think it’s time we start looking at this years draft and hope for another lottery win in the top three.

I’m still holding a candle for this group but these special teams and goalering ain’t getting er done.

81. Nailer Yakumoto says:

As long as Pitlick doesn’t score, I’ll consider this game a success.

82. hunter1909 says:

Current movie equivalent of Oiler’s 2017-18 season: “They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?”

Scene right at the end where Jane Fonda thinks she’s getting paid for winning the dance marathon before Gig Young sets her straight.

83. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

blainer,

The team has 1 goal in the last four games

Not good enough

84. JD_Wry says:

Nailer Yakumoto:
    As long as Pitlick doesn’t score, I consider this game a success.

Wouldn’t mind seeing a goal FOR as well. Elsewise it will be one regulation goal scored in the last four games.

85. hunter1909 says:

RNH you could tell was shooting the puck from a stupid angle, yet the coaches tell them all to “keep trying”.

86. OriginalPouzar says:

Hmmmm, going to be tough to come back from a 4 game deficit in the third!

87. Bruce McCurdy says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    OriginalPouzar,

The team has 1 goal in the last four games

Not good enough

1 for, 15 against.

88. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Hmmmm, going to be tough to come back from a 4 game deficit in the third!

Lol… very tough! That’s a lot of Bettman points in one period.

89. hunter1909 says:

This game is taking on a futility that’s not been felt since back when stalwarts like POS were patrolling the forward lines.

90. JD_Wry says:

OriginalPouzar: a 4 game deficit in the third!

If that wasn’t intentional, never admit it.

91. Scungilli Slushy says:

Ben:

Is it luck? Grittitude? Voodoo? (I’ll go with “lack of finishing skill”).

Same as it ever was. Goalie not stopping shots and not enough D that do the things that lead to winning. Last season was the only one in ages that both happened.

It comes down to individual plays. The Oilers are still making critical mistakes that lead to easy goals against. It’s one thing to get beat on a brilliant play by the opponent, another to get scored on by messing up routine play.

They play well and have control, oops, and given the regularity the team confidence or belief as McLellan calls it becomes fragile. It hasn’t recovered this season truly.

Part of it is age, lots of young guys and rookies each year. It will improve, just not this season. Hopefully Russell can give a decent year next season and every player is ready to start camp.

Klef Larsson
    Nurse Benning/Russell
    Sekera Russell/Benning
    OV 2
    Davidson

is my guess unless something bad happens. Something good can happen when Sekera and Russell’s NMC are off the following season.

92. McSorley33 says:

BeerMe,

Your just now concluding the season is lost?

93. ArmchairGM says:

Scungilli Slushy: Cheer for the thing they are good at and have fun!

Ballin’ for Dahlin!

Da-LEEN.

94. JD_Wry says:

ArmchairGM: Da-LEEN.

Careen for Dahlin!

95. hunter1909 says:

Afternoon games are great.

Aside from the fact I don’t remember seeing the Oilers win an afternoon game in my entire life.

96. StixMalone says:

Montoya perfect so far Woo Hoo…..#somethingpositive

97. jake70 says:

hunter1909:

Losing is one thing but when they can’t score a goal to save their lives……

98. BeerMe says:

McSorley33:
    BeerMe,

Your just now concluding the season is lost?

The last bit of feeble child-like optimism I had has just now been squished, yes.

99. sliderule says:

The oilers obviously don’t have enough talent to run three scoring lines.

Move Drai to right side with Nuge .

Dump Letustu and Cammy

If Maroon won’t sign cheap dump him too.

Bring up anyone on farm that wants to backcheck and cover high when needed

If they do that they might get to 85 pts.

100. JD_Wry says:

BeerMe,

🍺

101. npanciroli says:

Fire McLellan and all the coaching staff. May as well turf Chiarelli too. I think mainly a coaching issue but probably safe to cover all bases.

102. ArmchairGM says:

StixMalone:
    Montoya perfect so far Woo Hoo…..#somethingpositive

1 shot against in 15:15! Our defense is suddenly World Class!

103. Scungilli Slushy says:

ArmchairGM: Da-LEEN.

Baleen for Dahlin?

Not as funny 🙂

104. Ben says:

ArmchairGM,

ArmchairGM: Da-LEEN.

Huff gasoline for Dahlin?

Chug mescaline for Dahlin?

Refuse vaccines for Dahlin?

105. Scungilli Slushy says:

Appalling for Dahlin?

106. Scungilli Slushy says:

Down the chasm for Rasm

107. JD_Wry says:

Great piece. I could listen to Turco talk for hours about beating the Oilers in the playoffs, all those years ago.

108. StixMalone says:

Ball peen for Dahlin

109. TheWholeLoafIsToast says:

OmJo: Would Gretzky really be worse than General Disappointment?

What would he have to do to be worse than Chia?

Trade McDavid and Dahlin?

110. Jonathan Willis says:

So the good news is the Oilers play a matinee against a rested Chicago team tomorrow.

111. StixMalone says:

Aarrrghhh another draft coming….

112. Crazy Pedestrian says:

sliderule:
    The oilers obviously don’t have enough talent to run three scoring lines.

Move Drai to right side with Nuge .

Dump Letustuand Cammy

IfMaroon won’t sign cheap dump him too.

Bring up anyone on farm that wants to backcheck and cover high when needed

If they do that they might get to 85 pts.

This is the part where you hear tmac say: “I told you so! Drai needs to be on mcdavids line!”

113. Ben says:

Jonathan Willis:

What is the best fancy stat for measuring despair?

114. OriginalPouzar says:

hunter1909:
    Afternoon games are great.

They won the last afternoon game they played.

115. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m looking for a couple Oiler goals this period.

116. JD_Wry says:

Ben: What is the best fancy stat for measuring despair?

Empties/60.

117. Shingen says:

I’m imagining this conversation happening amongst Oilers management about now… “We haven’t been the same team since losing Griffin Reinhardt and Vegas is unstoppable. I wonder if our 1st and a sweetener would get it done?”

118. StixMalone says:

That’s why we traded Pitlick

119. OriginalPouzar says:

I was just about to type that PP1 is looking good and then they scored.

120. OmJo says:

We aren’t getting shut out! Woo!

121. Nailer Yakumoto says:

Just a quick 8 game win streak and we’re right back in this!

122. Zelepukin says:

And that’s what having a shooting threat on the PP does.

123. OriginalPouzar says:

Nice to see both Nuge and Leon on the scoresheet.

124. leadfarmer says:

sliderule:
    The oilers obviously don’t have enough talent to play in this league

Fixed it for you

125. Ben says:

JD_Wry: Empties/60.

Can we adjust for quality of opposition from my wife?

126. JD_Wry says:

Ben,

Natch.

127. OriginalPouzar says:

Got all the momentum but Leon continues to get boat anchors on his wing.

128. JD_Wry says:

Ha! Dallas DJ playing Hash Pipe.

Trolling Oiler fans?

129. OmJo says:

Nailer Yakumoto:
    Just a quick 8 game win streak and we’re right back in this!

8 game win streak? Let’s just try to get an 8 game goal streak first.

130. Gerta Rauss says:

JD_Wry: 2) go golfing.

How much shoveling did you do..?

131. Crazy Pedestrian says:

So if the oilers DO win this draft lottery and pick dahlin, who do you trade to make room for him next season? He is obviously skilled enough to jump in to the ring right away (all though another year of development never hurts). Russell can’t be traded, nurse is becoming a force, and Klefbom (when on his game) is fairly versatile and great value damn at $4M for another 6 years…

Do you trade nurse and risk his potential? trade Klefbom and lose a good puck mover with great value in his prime? Sit Russell until he asked to get traded (unlikely) or buy him out?

132. OmJo says:

I heard Camalleri scream in pain all the way in Edmonton.

133. OmJo says:

Fuck you, Dan Hamhuis.

134. OriginalPouzar says:

McDavid crosschecked in the back by Hamius and then held down by DH – McDavid gives DH a shot in the back of the head and I think they were calling that….

135. JD_Wry says:

Crazy Pedestrian: who do you trade to make room for him next season?

They just have him switch to wing!

136. Professor Q says:

What the hell was Hamuis thinking? What a stupid act of idiocy. Could have severely injured McDavid.

137. Professor Q says:

How McDavid got a matching penalty is beyond me. Ridiculous.

138. OmJo says:

Holy fucking hell.

139. hunter1909 says:

Crazy Pedestrian:
    So if the oilers DO win this draft lottery and pick dahlin, who do you trade to make room for him next season? He is obviously skilled enough to jump in to the ring right away (all though another year ofdevelopment never hurts). Russell can’t be traded, nurse is becoming a force, and Klefbom (when on his game) is fairly versatile and great value damn at $4M for another 6 years…

Do you trade nurse and risk his potential? trade Klefbom and lose a good puck mover withgreat value in his prime? Sit Russell until heasked to get traded (unlikely) or buy him out?

That’s what makes it great to be an Oilers fan.

You can win the lottery, yet still feel worried about breaking up the craptastic team that got you there in the first place.

140. OmJo says:

Russell stay on your damn feet!

141. hunter1909 says:

Modano…to Zubov…

142. JD_Wry says:

Schlachthaus fünf

143. StixMalone says:

This team doesn’t understand proper positioning yet! Un fucking believable !….

144. Scungilli Slushy says:

hunter1909: That’s what makes it great to be an Oilers fan.

Too funny

145. OmJo says:

hunter1909,

To be fair, Nurse isn’t the reason we are in this situation.

146. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

So like many the last light was extinguished tonight.

Scungilli Slushy,

Excellent post.

See Nuge completely missing Benn and Klingberg on goals against tonight. He knows better, he knows how to play defense but alas.

147. Gerta Rauss says:

The good news is that we only have 40 more games of this

148. hunter1909 says:

JP’s jersey’s stuffed down his shorts making his number look like “99” lol

149. OriginalPouzar says:

Crazy Pedestrian:

He’d be on an ELC so we shouldn’t have a tough time fitting his cap hit in – he’ll get max bonuses but they will be largely unattainable for a d-man.

Fitting him on the roster is a different story but I would think we could go with the following (given his ELC):

Klef/Larsson
    Nurse/Sekera
    Dahlin/Russell

Davidson/Benning

Its got a huge leftie/rightie issue but we can work through that.

It would be tough to trade a guy like Klef to “make room” for Dahlin as Dahlin will still be a rookie – as great as he is.

If we could get full value in return for Klef with a RHD in return – that would be great.

Of course, I’d love to move Russell first and foremost but that damn NMC.

150. Crazy Pedestrian says:

hunter1909: That’s what makes it great to be an Oilers fan.

Good point… bye Klefbom!

151. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

OriginalPouzar,

If I was the NHL I wouldn’t allow him to be drafted by Edmonton.

And I say that as a die hard Oiler fan

152. OmJo says:

Kris Russell would make for an amazing opossum.

When it looks hopeless to make a defensive play he just falls on the ice and plays dead, hoping the opposing player with the puck has a shred of care in his heart to stop the play and go check on him.

153. OriginalPouzar says:

It seems the cross-seam pass is not just an issue for the Oilers on the home PK but an all-situations issue…..

154. hunter1909 says:

Only the Oilers could have the best player in the world and play like this.

155. Professor Q says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    OriginalPouzar,

If I was the NHL I wouldn’t allow him to be drafted by Edmonton.

And I say that as a die hard Oiler fan

They’ve tried so hard to make it near impossible.

Which to be honest is almost a criminal act (or at the very least a sign of extreme bias), to do it just because of Edmonton (when there have been a few other teams who have done the same as Edmonton).

156. StixMalone says:

OriginalPouzar:

There’s no solution for it. Oh wait I meant for the Oilers…

157. hunter1909 says:

OmJo:
    Kris Russell would make for an amazing opossum.

Let’s not forget his $4 million a season cap slaughtering contract.

158. OriginalPouzar says:

Nope – can’t trade Klefbom – Quinn just mentioned that he’s had a solid game this afternoon.

159. Crazy Pedestrian says:

StixMalone:
    This team doesn’t understand proper positioning yet! Un fucking believable !….

You know who understood good positioning?
    Hendricks

You know who else understood good positioning?
    Pouliot

160. Professor Q says:

hunter1909: Let’s not forget his $4 million a season cap slaughtering contract.

Yes, because $4 million is such a problem.

*eyeroll*

161. HugThePost says:

I cannot get the video replay of Dallas Stars Mike Keane skating off the ice at Skyreach Centre and yelling at the fans “it’s over! Go Home!” out of my head.

Like LT says, same as it ever was.

162. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Cammalleri just had his 4th off-side of the game.

Yuck

OriginalPouzar,

Its quite easy when five guys are watching instead of playing 😉

163. hunter1909 says:

Cammallari + Chiarelli are both Italian names.

164. Professor Q says:

hunter1909:
    Only the Oilers could have the best player in the world and play like this.

Pittsburgh is doing pretty terribly this year as well.

They have Crosby, Malkin, AND Kessel.

165. hunter1909 says:

Professor Q: Yes, because $4 million is such a problem.

*eyeroll*

Actually it is. Over pay players and suddenly Taylor Hall has to go.

166. OmJo says:

Professor Q: They’ve tried so hard to make it near impossible.

And we didn’t even tank!

If the NHL was serious about preventing us from winning anymore lottery picks they should have forced us to fire Eakins and placed sanctions on MacT and Lowe, barring them from ever getting involved in an NHL franchise again. Changing the rules wasn’t enough.

167. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Professor Q,

Hall
    Nuge
    Yankupov
    McDavid

In 8 years

I wouldn’t let them draft Dahlin lol

168. hunter1909 says:

Professor Q: Pittsburgh is doing pretty terribly this year as well.

They have Crosby, Malkin, AND Kessel.

And have won the last 2 Stanley Cups?

169. Professor Q says:

hunter1909: Actually it is. Over pay players and suddenly Taylor Hall has to go.

It really isn’t. $4 million is the going rate and Russell really is one the least of Edmonton’s problems.

170. Professor Q says:

hunter1909: And have won the last 2 Stanley Cups?

Have they won those Cups in this season?

171. Ben says:

Seem weird to anyone else that after showing clear preference for it, the coach is completely unwilling to put 29 with 97 again?

172. hunter1909 says:

Professor Q: Have they won those Cuos in this season?

“Cups”.

173. OmJo says:

hunter1909: Let’s not forget his $4 million a season cap slaughtering contract.

World’s richest opossum?

Professor Q: Yes, because $4 million is such a problem.

*eyeroll*

The salary cap doesn’t exist? Not many competitive teams have the cap space afford $10M for 2 overpayed players.

174. Professor Q says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Professor Q,

Hall
    Nuge
    Yankupov
    McDavid

In 8 years

I wouldn’t let them draft Dahlin lol

175. Professor Q says:

hunter1909: “Cups”.

Nice. You can quote a sentence within half a second of it being posted and corrected. You must feel ever so proud.

176. hunter1909 says:

Oilers are a generous team.

Most teams only want to make 1 team’s set of fans happy. Oilers want 30 other team’s fans to go home happy.

177. bendelson says:

Not that is particularly important but there have been some highly questionable offside calls in this game. I reversed and checked on three that looked ‘off’ by my eye… all three were clearly onside (not really even close) and whistled down. All three were bad calls against the Oil if you may be wondering… again, not that it realky matters.

178. OriginalPouzar says:

Well, that was certainly yet another disappointing game. The faint glimmer of hope gets even fainter – barely even a glimmer.

With that said, I will be right back here tomorrow ready to watch yet another game played by my team. I will cheer for a win but, if nothing else, I get to see Connor McDavid play hockey again, I get to see if the team bounces back, I get to see Puljijarvi and Nurse continue to develop, etc.

I will keep watching, each and every game, continuing to watch Oiler players and make evaluations of them – their talent, their effort, their character, etc.

Go Oilers

179. OriginalPouzar says:

Silver lining of yet another bad loss – I’ve got to assume that it helps keep Chia away from the “save the season/save his job” type trade. I would have thought that option was long gone but I read/hear rumors that its not. It simply cannot happen. Our draft picks must not be traded unless it’s a hockey trade that helps in the future.

The silver lining of the disappointing season is the high end talent and depth of this upcoming draft. We will retain our 1st round pick – it could be a huge top end pick but, even if its in the 8-14 range, I hear the depth in the first round is fantastic. Accumulate some picks for Maroon, Letestu, etc. and we should add some nice talent influx to this team.

Next year, Hebig, Yamamoto, Benson will all turn pro and will likely marinate in Bakersfield for the year (at least the start of the year) and the year after Maksimov, Safin and Samorukov. Throw I some Rasanen, Kemp, Lagesson, Berglund as some more distant prospects (but with potential) and add an influx this season.

Huge silver lining.

Go Oilers

180. JD_Wry says:

Radulov is the best shooter Dallas has had since Oswald.

181. Professor Q says:

OmJo: World’s richest opossum?

But Russell would have gotten around the same price on the open market (as would Lucic, which you were likely referring to in your equation), and he definitely hasn’t been Edmonton’s worst issue.

182. Munny says:

JD_Wry:
    Radulov is the best shooter Dallas has had since Oswald.

Probably dropped out of Stormtrooper School.

183. OmJo says:

Professor Q: Have they won those Cups in this season?

What does this even mean?

They won the last two cups. No, they didn’t win any of those cups in this season, that’s approximately half-way through the regular season. Is that their fault? Lol.

They’re doing bad, but not as bad as this team – who’s scored 2 goals in the last 4 games – and have given up 16 against in that time.

184. meanashell11 says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    OriginalPouzar,

If I was the NHL I wouldn’t allow him to be drafted by Edmonton.

And I say that as a die hard Oiler fan

Why is that?

Let’s say we miss the playoffs by 2 points and win the lottery.

Is that not how it is supposed to work?

Have you seen how Tampa retools? They have a couple good seasons, make the playoffs then shit the bed to get a very high pick. Hedman for example.

185. Munny says:

Which goalie do you start tomorrow?

186. OriginalPouzar says:

Professor Q: If you could make a successful D corps by paying all 6 D just $1 million each, then fine. But that’s not going to happen just because fans want it to. Players get paid money, sometimes tiered more correctly and sometimes less so, even in a salary cap league.

The issue with the contract is that it essentially locked our defensive group in for the next few years and Chia took away his own ability to improve it (just a few months after expressly stating that the defensive group wasn’t good enough to compete with the likes of ANA and NSH).

Not to mention that it was a panic signing made on June 23 and that he lost on cap hit, term and trade protection.

If there was no trade protection then potential upgrades to our defensive group could be made by disposing of the contract/player. Now, the potential upgrades have to be made by potentially disposing of a Klefbom instead of a Russell (with essentially the same cap hit, many years young, and a much better player).

The contact is leading to perverse situations.

187. meanashell11 says:

Munny:
    Which goalie do you start tomorrow?

Montoya

188. Professor Q says:

OmJo: What does this even mean?

It means what it means.

How is saying that they’ve won the past two Cups an adequate or relevant answer to the statement that they have two to three of the best players in the world, and are playing poorly this season?

It’s not.

If anything it shows the point that they should be playing better even more clear, not the opposite. Even still, it’s an irrelevant point.

189. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny:
    Which goalie do you start tomorrow?

Talbot – 100%

That’s without taking in to account that Montoya has already played 1 of his allotted 6 games.

190. OmJo says:

Good for him. So let other GMs make that mistake then. These two are untradeable because of their contracts. We have to give them roster spots they don’t necessarily deserve in the top 4 D and top 6 F because of those contracts.

No, I don’t want a team full of $1M players. But you’re acting as if $10M in cap space on 2 average-at-best players is such a minor mistake, when we are pretty cap strapped as is – and 26th in the NHL.

191. SwedishPoster says:

Sometimes in our lives
    We all have pain
    We all have sorrow
    But if we are wise
    We know that there’s always tomorrow

Dahlin on me, when you’re not strong
    I’ll be your friend
    I’ll help you carry on
    For it won’t be long
    ‘Til I’m gonna need
    Somebody Dahlin on

192. hunter1909 says:

Professor Q: That would set a precedent of the League going against chance and allowing teams to decide who others get to draft, as opposed to letting chance decide the fates. A slippery slope.

193. geowal says:

Well I know what I’m doing tomorrow, watching football. Go Panthers! (Says no Albertan, ever)

194. JD_Wry says:

Oh well, let’s see how my Kitchener Rangers are doing…

195. Professor Q says:

hunter1909: “precedent…slippery slope”… If the NHL owners were given the chance to double their revenues on the proviso that sheep were put in goal to replace humans they’d jump at it.

I’m sure they’d all love to decide Edmonton’s choices and choose for them, but would be highly opposed to other teams choosing for them.

Which would be what would prevent them from deciding to do such a thing. They tried to screw Edmonton a few times with the draft changes and weren’t happy with the results. I don’t think they’d go *too* extreme with that because of what they’ve learned of the backfiring potential.

196. TheWholeLoafIsToast says:

So what’s the +/- for Nicholson & Gretzky “ol’ Yellering” TMac? Right now? Tomorrow after the bloodletting in Chicago?
    As much as the base here blames Chia and Todd, no gord darned way can I lay this calamity at their feet. Way too many young fellas making way to much money. McDavid is uber talented and all but they kid isn’t cut from the cloth to be a captain yet, Leon isn’t worth the $8.5 mil either.
    What a damn shame, a somewhat decent coach will lose his job due to youthful inexperienced players. Unfreakingreal.

197. JAG-041 says:

I’m an artist, so not many of my friends care for sports at all. This year a couple of them wanted to get into a team, and because I’m the only real sports fan they know and a die hard Oilers fan, they chose to cheer for the Oilers.
    They don’t watch the games anymore.
    This is the kind of thing that kills a franchise.

198. meanashell11 says:

TheWholeLoafIsToast:

They wont do it tomorrow. They will wait until the road trip is over and the Oilers go on their break.

199. OmJo says:

Professor Q,

The Penguins are suffering from a lot of the same things we are, apparently: https://thehockeywriters.com/pittsburgh-penguins-concerns/

The difference is they sit 2pts out of a playoff position. This is mostly the same team that won those last two cups so the chance of them righting the ship in the second half of the season is high. That’s how it’s relevant.

We didn’t improve the backend, and started off the season worse than 16-17 due to the Sekera injury and slow starts from Benning and Klefbom. We didn’t improve up front and instead took a step back by unloading players like Eberle, Pitlick and Pouliot – players who can skate and score goals – and made too many bets on rookies to step up and replace them. And goaltending hasn’t been stellar, made worse by the worst PK in NHL history(?) and a stubborn coaching staff which refuses to admit they’re wrong about their system. We don’t have a Kessel on the team.

200. Gret99zky says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Well, that was certainly yet another disappointing game.The faint glimmer of hope gets even fainter – barely even a glimmer.

Go Oilers

OriginalPouzar:
    Silver lining of yet another bad loss – I’ve got to assume that it helps keep Chia away from the “save the season/save his job” type trade. I would have thought that option was long gone but I read/hear rumors that its not. It simply cannot happen.Our draft picks must not be traded unless it’s a hockey trade that helps in the future.

The silver lining of the disappointing season is the high end talent and depth of this upcoming draft.We will retain our 1st round pick – it could be a huge top end pick but, even if its in the 8-14 range, I hear the depth in the first round is fantastic. Accumulate some picks for Maroon, Letestu, etc. and we should add some nice talent influx to this team.

Next year, Hebig, Yamamoto, Benson will all turn pro and will likely marinate in Bakersfield for the year (at least the start of the year) and the year after Maksimov, Safin and Samorukov.Throw I some Rasanen, Kemp, Lagesson, Berglund as some more distant prospects (but with potential) and add an influx this season.

Huge silver lining.

Go Oilers

Wow.

Your consistently positive outlook on this blog is admirable. Keep it up.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »