G43 2017-18: Oilers at Blackhawks

The Edmonton Oilers do as well in Texas as Davy Crockett and yesterday was no exception. Executing the back door play straight out of  “The Ladislav Smid Collection” the defense rested early and often while the brilliant Stars No. 1 line made quick work of the Alberta clippers.

THE ATHLETIC

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

RED RUM, YEAR OVER YEAR

• January 2016: 2-1-0, goal differential 0 (4 points)
  • January 2017: 2-1-0, goal differential 0 (4 points)
  • January 2018: 1-2-0, goal differential -9 (2 points)

G3 2016 was a 2-1 loss to the Florida Panthers, Jaromir Jagr skated around the ice twice during warmup and I called him a prima donna. He would score three minutes in. G4 2017 was a 5-3  loss to the Ottawa Senators.

AFTER 43, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 17-22-3, goal differential -24 (37 points)
  • Oilers 16-17: 21-14-7, goal differential +8 (49 points)
  • Oilers 17-18: 18-21-3, goal differential -20 (39 points)
 G43 2016 was a 2-1 loss to the traveling Jagr’s (as above) and last year the Oilers lost 5-3 to the San Jose Sharks. Edmonton beat Chicago two of three one year ago.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM JANUARY

• At home to: Los Angeles, Anaheim (Expected 0-1-1) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: Dallas, Chicago, Nashville, Arizona, Vegas (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • At home to: Vancouver, Buffalo, Calgary (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 4-4-2, 10 points in 10 games
  • Current results: 1-2-0, two points in three games

Edmonton has just four games now before the long layoff, Wayne Gretzky is hanging around in the gondola of NHL rinks across Christendom. You can say it’s nothing and it would be if the performance since the break had been anything close to acceptable. As it is, keep your ears on, good buddy, one of those old bull Oilers may have decided to crash the gate doing 98 and let them truckers roll, 10-4. Third time’s a charm?

DEFENSE, YESTERDAY

• Sekera-Benning went 18-12 in 13:15, 0-1 GF and 2-1 HDSC. Sekera turned the puck over at the blue line early and gave up a breakaway, looked in-between for much of the night. Benning looked better, and this was the best pairing on the day (imo). Went 9-8 in seven minutes against Roussel-Faksa-Pitlick, 0-5 in 1:31 against Benn.
  • Klefbom-Russell went 17-22 in 16:22, 0-1GF and 3-3 HDSC. To my eye Klefbom is coming on, a little more power in his game. Russell did the swim a couple of times, played the first goal two-on-one in a ponderous manner. Went 11-14 in 5:55 against the Radulov-Benn-Seguin line, leading the defensive groups in opposition against the big Dallas trio.
  • Nurse-Larsson were 8-19 in 14:37, 0-2 GF and 0-5 HDSC. This is becoming a trend and coach McLellan needs to get away from this pairing right away. Went 4-11 in 5:37 against the Radulov-Benn-Seguin line, meaning the Klefbom pairing was superior in about the same time against the impact line.
  • Cam Talbot stopped 15 of 19, .789. I don’t blame him, his mates need to mind the back door a little better.
  • Al Montoya debuted as an Oiler (nice mask!) and stopped 13 of 14, .929.
  • NaturalStatTrick and NHL.com.

FORWARDS, LAST NIGHT

• Khaira-Draisaitl-Kassian were 8-2 and 3-1 in HDSC’s, took coach McLellan some time to move the fourth line wingers up and it worked well. Slepyshev-Caggiula (5-6, 0-2 GF) were a disaster and PC needs to step in. That ain’t working. Leon went 4-4 in 3:28 against Benn.
  • Cammalleri-Nuge-Strome went 14-14 in 11:02, 0-2 GF and 1-2 HDSC’s. I like the Cammy-Nuge train, Strome (for me) was not as effective. RNH got a power-play assist and continues to find his way to the scoresheet after avoiding it like the plague for years. Went 6-10 in 4:42 against Benn.
  • Lucic-McDavid-Puljujarvi were 14-16 in 14:36, 0-0 GF and 3-2 HDSC’s. McDavid was the best Oiler as always, I think the Finn was second behind him. Some 10-bell chances for the youngster, he’s finding seams and driving to the net. McDavid was frustrated, not sure if this tandem lasts but there’s a lot of promising elements. 97 was 1-4 in 1:43 against Benn.
  • Caggiula-Letestu-Slepyshev were 5-5 in 4:43 together.

SAIL ON, MCARELLI?

The knives are out for Peter Chiarelli, fans are mad as hell and there are some curious things going on. MSM is feeding a “something imminent” storyline and we haven’t see the general manager for a month—I haven’t seen a quote from him on the trade for Montoya (as a for instance). Meanwhile, the “face” of the organization, increasingly, is Wayne Gretzky.

Todd McLellan would be the obvious move if the losing becomes too much, but perhaps we’re looking at a dual “settling family business” crescendo to the season. Could we see Craig MacTavish return to coaching?

One thing we can be sure of? The game’s afoot and Wayne Gretzky is in a prominent role as our story begins.

I’m not certain if this happens now, or if Keith Gretzky would be involved, but the Edmonton Oilers do telegraph these things and my Geiger counter has been making violent noises for about 18 hours. Come for the game, stay for the drama. It could be a wild week.

686 Responses to "G43 2017-18: Oilers at Blackhawks"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar: He recovered fine and had his man.

The pinch still let to the puck going back to our zone with speed.

2. Pouzar says:

I don’t get Star Wars.

3. russ99 says:

jtblack:
    RUSSELL OR LETESTU on for each goal.

Only as strong as your weakest links.

I know there are many other issues, but these 2 are on the struggle bus and not a part of the solution.

Russell had the stick in on the last one, late, weak five hole by Talbot, who also didn’t clean up the first two. Weakest link alright.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar:
    I don’t get Star Wars.

5. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: The pinch still let to the puck going back to our zone with speed.

He had his man. Strome (I think) did not.

6. jtblack says:

OriginalPouzar,

I much prefer sports. Even if the Oilers are ………….

7. Munny says:

Professor Q: It definitely did no such thing.

It definitely did.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar: He had his man. Strome (I think) did not.

Sure but the play does not happen without the bad pinch.

9. JD_Wry says:

I don’t remember there being any cannons in Star Wars series.

Pirates of the Caribbean and Johnny Horton songs, sure.

10. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: Hey, we agree on something – I don’t get Star Wars either – just don’t understand the crazy following.

I mean, I loved Empire Strikes back when I was a kid but to each their own. Passion is a good thing.

Pouzar: He had his man. Strome (I think) did not.

Yes. That’s how I saw it. Nurse pinched, and shouldn’t have, but the breakdown was Strome and his position.

For me, this game is interesting because of the men who are showing well. I mentioned Khaira, but also CammKassian and Puljujarvi among the wingers. Maroon and Leon are givens (if used on wing) but the push from either wingers is coming via interesting spots.

12. Professor Q says:

If Edmonton can’t put up effort when the other team is missing multiple key pieces, which seems to be the case these last few games, then they won’t be able to keep up with the top teams, healthy or not.

And perhaps they were never going to be able to this season.

Maybe a harsh reset, as unpalatable as that may seem after the D. O. D., will be the necessary move.

13. prefonmich says:

That one is on Russell. Again. Son of a cowboy tries hard but it’s not good enough to be a top 4 dman in the NHL. Letestu us in the same boat. Tries hard but gifted too much ice time despite on ice results. I like both these guys and I’m sure they are loved by teammates and coaches alike but the playing time they get is a sign of the bigger problem.on this team. Coach loves these grit guys and not enough depth.

14. Munny says:

Pouzar: He had his man. Strome (I think) did not.

That one was mostly on Talbot and Strome for me.

15. Pouzar says:

Lots of wobble in Nurse lately. Not the same calm feet as before.
    Maybe trying to do too much again?!?!?

16. Professor Q says:

Another thing I’ve noticed (too late, it seems, and other posters have been commenting on it for months) is Edmonton’s tendency to backpedal and rotate/cycle around the outer perimeter. Even McDavid.

Easy to be broken up and intercepted, which are both increasing in frequency, and they lose momentum in the attack often. And when that’s self-induced, it’s harder to swallow.

17. dsr29 says:

Nurse makes a poor pinch with 20 seconds left in the period and ends up chasing. If he avoids the pinch and keeps the play in front of him that goal/chance doesn’t occur. Poor choice by Nurse.

18. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar:

Lots of wobble in Nurse lately. Not the same calm feet as before.
    Maybe trying to do too much again?!?!?

We agree again – he’s regressed a bit lately – likely a function of the team as a group playing poorly but its happening.

Perhaps Darnell is looking to help our cap structure.

19. Frank the dog says:

I prefer 3-1 to 2-0. Maybe they will tie it up in the 3rd and win the ot or shootout…….

20. OriginalPouzar says:

dsr29:

Yup – that’s what I was saying.

There were multiple culprits on that one.

21. OriginalPouzar says:

What a play by Leon but, alas, our lead league is posts gets extended.

22. Pouzar says:

dsr29:

Bad pinch but had nothing to do with the goal. There was another 150+ feet of hockey after that.
    Nurse recovered easily, Strome missed his check, game over.

23. frjohnk says:

Nice skilled play by Drai but “clink” off the post

24. Rebilled says:

Pardon my French but the Oilers are squeezing their sticks so tight that in deux weeks they’re going to have diamond sticks.

25. prefonmich says:

I feel calm.watching Davidson play. He seems to make the simple and generally right play most times.

dsr29:

Did you have something specific about my post that you disagreed with?

27. Hockey Project says:

Why is Mark Letestu on my television?

28. Gerta Rauss says:

Mcdavid doing Mcdavid things again…no dice on the breakaway

29. StixMalone says:

Hockey Project:
    Why is Mark Letestu on my television?

When did we have a powerplay?

30. jtblack says:

Pouzar,

NURSE makes a lot of useless pinches(especially chasing his own dump ins). They may not be the direct result of something negative; but they certainly don’t help much, and generally just lead to puttig everyone out of position scrambling to cover.

31. prefonmich says:

Hockey Project,

Because coach trusts him. And hes a nice guy too!

32. Hockey Project says:

prefonmich:
    Hockey Project,

Because coach trusts him. And hes a nice guy too!

Whew!

Wouldn’t want a grump out there.

33. dsr29 says:

I see Nurse decision as primary breakdown leading to goal. You said Strome. Just disagree on where the play broke down.

34. Zelepukin says:

prefonmich:
    Hockey Project,

Because coach trusts him. And hes a nice guy too!

Nothing makes me more frustrated than watching Letestu. I’d rather lose the draw than deal with the next 20 secs of having him in either end of the ice. An absolute tire fire in our own zone with coverage and hands of stone in the offensive zone. I know there isn’t as much value in +/- as there use to be, but there is a reason he is a -13.

35. Thinker says:

Do other teams have such an immensely difficult time making simple passes tape to tape? Sure doesn’t feel like it.

36. Munny says:

Oesterle… what are the odds?

100 percent?

37. OriginalPouzar says:

Of course, its Osterle than finishes it off.

38. Gerta Rauss says:

We might get to 5-1 yet

39. Dr. Taboggan says:

Oilers could really use a Dman like Oesterle. Solid passer, great skater.

40. hunter1909 says:

I was just about to make a remark about only letting in 3 goals tonight.

41. StixMalone says:

Positional hockey. It’s a thing in all leagues. #exceptoilers

42. Mr. D. says:

Strome c’min try at least.

43. Munny says:

Gerta Rauss:
    We might get to 5-1 yet

There’s still time.

44. BeerMe says:

You can just see the mental weakness, it’s pathetic. The body language of Talbot on every goal against, even at the start of games, where he keels over and kind of dies. He didn’t do that last year.

45. StixMalone says:

#nextcoach

46. Professor Q says:

They’re all defeated and useless right now. Have been for some time.

47. StixMalone says:

#newgm

48. Dr. Taboggan says:

Serious question, what Oilers dman can consistently make clean outlet passes?

49. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

BeerMe,

Ya he’s let in 4 or more in all but one game in 2018

Not good enough

But then again they’ve scored three goals in the last five so

#everyonesucks lol

50. Admiral Ackbar says:

I find myself hoping for another blowout

51. Jonathan Willis says:

Jethro Tull,

Jethro Tull: Lousy? Fake .500 is lousy? I would live for the Oilers to be merely lousy. So if we’re not crushing the league, then draft high?

Yes, fake 0.500 is lousy. Philadelphia drafted Nolan Patrick after going six games above fake 0.500 last year. Florida, with less lottery luck, still got Owen Tippett. Sergachev was a fake 0.500 draft pick; for Oilers context, so was Magnus Paajarvi.

Lousy is better than terrible, but you’re still drafting high at lousy.

52. prefonmich says:

This is some kind of depressing to watch.

53. jtblack says:

StixMalone:
    Positional hockey. It’s a thing in all leagues. #exceptoilers

We do the “L” …
    and the “Flying V” … is that Positional?

54. Hockey Project says:

A shift or two before the GA, the Oilers made something like 7 consecutive passes which were off-target, in the feet, or 5 or 6 feet away from the intended player.

55. Confused says:

I for one look forward to Wayne taking over tomorrow.

This is just sole destroying again.

56. StixMalone says:

Dr. Taboggan:
    Serious question, what Oilers dman can consistently make clean outlet passes?

I’ll take Paul Coffey for 100 Alex

57. hunter1909 says:

Losing is a big problem with players like Nurse who are used to winning. It’s a problem when winners try to play for this team.

58. StixMalone says:

jtblack: We do the “L” …
    and the “Flying V” … is that Positional?

Flyin V as in the flying south ala #goosecooked

59. BeerMe says:

Confused:
    I for one look forward to Wayne taking over tomorrow.

This is just sole destroying again.

shoe or fish?

60. Thinker says:

Hockey Project:

Can confirm

61. Bling says:

Talbot is really costing me in fantasy hockey.

62. jtblack says:

Another Bcakup goalie gonna post a .950 SV% on us …..

63. smellyglove says:

Explanations for last year and assignment of how much it contributed to the Oiler’s hot season last year:

1. Injury-free (50%)
    2. Supernova McDavid (20%)
    3. Favourable schedule (10%)
    4. Tal-Bot (career year for a #1G) (10%)

Robustness in replicating for 2017-18? Very little.

dsr29:

In my original post I said:

And your response:

I see you as agreeing with my original post. I actually say Nurse shouldn’t have pinched and shouldn’t have, but then mention Strome (imo) was the culprit.

As I see it, Nurse is assigned the task of making a decision to pinch if there’s a play there. That’s his job, that’s the expectation from the bench. Now, it was not a good decision but as the team recovered I can’t fault him with the result.

He was doing his job, it went awry, but he and others got themselves in a position to make it an even result. The breakdown, imo, was Strome.

For me, calling the Nurse pinch a mistake implies weakness, that he was doing something he wasn’t supposed to do. The coach WANTS him to pinch, or at least that is my understanding of the modern game.

Thanks for clarifying your original note.

65. StixMalone says:

We need Chip Foose. Overhaulin 2018. How to take a VW beetle and turn it into a Ferrari

66. jake70 says:

Larsson has to get that shot off quicker…just gets blocked…

67. OilClog says:

What could Tippett do with this group?

It’s funny how the org that was trying to be fast and skilled in the barbarian age is now barbarian in the fast and skilled age, it’s beautiful.

68. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Of course, its Osterle than finishes it off.

A player in the NHL.

69. Hockey Project says:

This morning, I watched a 20-minute video of a guy scraping excessive callus growth from his feet.

It was more entertaining.

70. Pouzar says:

Dr. Taboggan:
    Oilers could really use a Dman like Oesterle. Solid passer, great skater.

#LastOne

Who knew?

71. hunter1909 says:

Expansion team quality hockey from the Oilers.

72. StixMalone says:

Can’t wait for presser…

73. StixMalone says:

Would like to see Todd go ballistic like Torts

74. Munny says:

OV2 has had a couple of moments this game, especially in the 3rd

75. Pouzar says:

hunter1909:
    Expansion team quality hockey from the Oilers.

You wish.

76. hunter1909 says:

Oilers on a 74 point pace.

77. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

hunter1909,

But Vegas is still first in the West…

I’ll show myself out

78. Thinker says:

Maybe we could make a deal like pocklington once had on the table to completely trade franchises. Minus McDavid of course.

79. hunter1909 says:

Pouzar: You wish.

Ha ha I forgot about Vegas.

80. JD_Wry says:

OilClog: Let the Osterle goal be the end of this regime, its over. GM sent away too much value, game has passed this coaching staff by. Regardless of the GM situation this coaching staff shouldn’t get another period with this squad.

Let the guy who drafted Oesterle take over the team again!

81. StixMalone says:

Or see Todd be like the Swiss junior coach. “They’re better faster and bigger than us…..

82. Gerta Rauss says:

On to Nashville…I’ve got a good feeling about that one..!!

83. OriginalPouzar says:

Hmmmm – didn’t quite get the 4 points I was hopeful for 27 hours ago.

84. Thinker says:

hunter1909:
    Oilers on a 74 point pace.

My updated guess was 71, but was assuming it would come as a result of selling at the deadline.

85. Munny says:

Well, I have to go clean house.

Wonder if the Oilers feel the same way.

86. Professor Q says:

StixMalone:
    Would like to see Todd go ballistic like Torts

Or like Gulutzan, more recently.

I’m not sure I spelled that correctly…

DBO:
    So tire fire.Ouch.

I don’t blame McClellan as much as I do Chiarelli. You can only play the cards u r dealt, and the coach never got a full deck from the GM.

Chiarelli got rid of all the players McLellan hated. Hall, Pouliot, Eberle, Lander, Pitlick

McLellan had a full deck and told Chiarelli to get rid of several face cards.

88. OilClog says:

20-3 last five games at your final sink or swim moment, coaches have lost more then the room.

JD_Wry: Let the guy who drafted Oesterle take over the team again!

Yea, no.

89. JD_Wry says:

Munny:
    Well, I have to go clean house.

Wonder if the Oilers feel the same way.

No but I do. When can you stop by?

90. Ben says:

My thought: Chiarelli didn’t get very good value in the Taylor Hall trade. Please discuss!!

91. Pouzar says:

JD_Wry: Let the guy who drafted Oesterle take over the team again!

He wasn’t.

92. Zelepukin says:

Gerta Rauss:
    On to Nashville…I’ve got a good feeling about that one..!!

Ya, the quintessential Todd presser quote, “we’ll put this one behind us and prepare for the next. We just need to believe!”

93. Munny says:

JD_Wry: No but I do. When can you stop by?

After you get them damn sidewalks shovelled, Mister!

94. jtblack says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Hmmmm – didn’t quite get the 4 points I was hopeful for 27 hours ago.

OP, you might just have to adjust your expectations .. Maybe hope for 4 goals the rest of the road trip …

Game is Nashville should go well ….

95. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

StixMalone,

If he is nearing his end here I would love to see him just tee off

I know he won’t but unlike a lot of folks I’d love to see the players wear a lot of this

On the topic of #moralvictories it’s now two straight clean sheets on the PK (looking for anything at this point)

96. JD_Wry says:

Professor Q: I’m not sure I spelled that correctly…

It’s easier to remember Tintin.

97. OilClog says:

godot10: Chiarelli got rid of all the players McLellan hated.Hall, Pouliot, Eberle, Lander, Pitlick

McLellan had a full deck and told Chiarelli to get rid of several face cards.

Yea Pete isn’t going to send away players Todd wants, Pete doesn’t do the coaching, players excelling when they leave Todds systems is a thing before Edmonton.

98. Thinker says:

McLellan had a full deck and told Chiarelli to get rid of several face cards.

99. JD_Wry says:

jtblack: I have tix to the VGS game … When I bought them, I correctly assumed 1 of the Teams would be near the Top of the standings … and the other would be near the bottom 🤓

I’ll give you $40 USD for the pair.

#buylow

#byelowe

100. jtblack says:

OilClog,

“Can’t help but reflect on Jumbo joes words on Todd’s sunny California departure.” …

what did he say??

101. Pescador says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    hunter1909,

But Vegas is still first in the West…

I’ll show myself out

Who let you back in?

102. Pouzar says:

JD_Wry: I’ll give you $40 USD for the pair.

#buylow

#byelowe

Affordable 2nd tier price!

103. jtblack says:

JD_Wry: I’ll give you $40 USD for the pair.

#buylow

#byelowe

Buy High. Sell Low. the PC way ….

104. jtblack says:

Pouzar,

My In Laws have season seats …. He’s lucky, he gets to watch a real NHL team ..

105. Pescador says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    StixMalone,

If he is nearing his end here I would love to see him just tee off

Last 4 losses;
    5-0
    5-0
    5-1
    4-1
    Visually better

106. Confused says:

We entered Christmas with hope, our do or die moment was with us.

The response to the situation has been unbelievable.

Things are rotten, changes must be swift.

Cannot wait for 2028 this time.

107. jtblack says:

Pescador: Last 4 losses;
    5-0
    5-0
    5-1
    4-1
    Visually better

Consistent if nothing else. LT said it, those are quit on the coach style Losses

108. Pouzar says:

Poor TMc…has to face the music every post game while Chia hides in the pressbox.

109. JD_Wry says:

So the Jets are leading their div, and the Moose leading theirs.

Huh.

110. Pouzar says:

JD_Wry:
    So the Jets are leading their div, and the Moose leading theirs.

Huh.

And I have to go to work tomorrow.

111. HT Joe says:

Dr. Taboggan:
    Oilers could really use a Dman like Oesterle. Solid passer, great skater.

BTW, 7 points in 15 GP… that’s a better PPG rate than any of our defencemen, no?

112. TheWholeLoafIsToast says:

Who do I blame for the refs not calling a penalty when an Oiler gets mugged, tripped or slashed?
    Chia? TMac?

Here’s a novel & BOLD idea!
    Trade McDavid.

The young man is talented, can skate like the wind and all, but if he is supposed to be this other worldly talent, WTF is going on with the team? Why hasn’t McDavid come absolutely unhinged on his teammates?
    All the skill and character in/out the wazoo doesn’t cut the mustard if he can’t grab the bull by the horns and ass kick his cohorts into giving a shit.

#TradeConnor

113. Pescador says:

jtblack:
    OilClog,

what did he say??

All the leaves are brown, and the sky is grey.
    something something winters day
    fuck this steaming pile
    Fire staff- next season SCF

114. jake70 says:

Pouzar:

As do all the player agents…..

115. jtblack says:

TheWholeLoafIsToast:
    Chia? TMac?

Here’s a novel & BOLD idea!
    Trade McDavid.

#TradeConnor

TheWholeLoafIsToast:
    Chia? TMac?

Here’s a novel & BOLD idea!
    Trade McDavid.

#TradeConnor

#Idiotic

116. leadfarmer says:

TIme to start writing the sail on posts.
    Coach youve been our favority Tmac since Tracy Mcgrady. I’m sure you will get another look somewhere.
    Chia should join him but likely wont

TheWholeLoafIsToast:
    Chia? TMac?

Here’s a novel & BOLD idea!
    Trade McDavid.

#TradeConnor

118. AntsOfTheSky says:

jtblack:
    OilClog,

what did he say??

Wondering this as well

119. flyfish1168 says:

Pouzar:

Lots of wobble in Nurse lately. Not the same calm feet as before.
    Maybe trying to do too much again?!?!?

I see Nurse trying to jump into the play too often. It is ok if he was more selective or his teammates cover. Trouble starts when he pinches from a standstill position.

120. Thinker says:

TheWholeLoafIsToast:
    Chia? TMac?

Here’s a novel & BOLD idea!
    Trade McDavid.

#TradeConnor

I second this. More character guys like Letestu.

121. Minister D- says:

Lowetide: This is an incorrect answer. I understand frustration but my goodness this is wrong thinking.

Worked for Quebec/Colorado.

#LookingforSteveDuchesne

122. Réal Goudenyéu says:

AntsOfTheSky: Wondering this as well

This is from googling:

“I have no idea,” Thornton said when asked if a coaching change was needed. “Todd has to talk to his family. Maybe he should talk to this family as well in here. We’ll see what happens.”

On Wednesday, Thornton was also asked where an improvement in the Sharks’ culture could be made.

“Everywhere,” he said. “It comes from the coaches, and they bring it down to us. It comes from everywhere.”

Couture also called the culture of the team “not good” but refused to comment further.

123. "Steve Smith" says:

Thinker,

If only Matt Hendricks was still playing for this team. Or Ethan Moreau.

124. Thinker says:

HT Joe: Don’t worry about him… I’m sure he’s actually only a fringe NHL player, who will remain a fringe NHL player regardless of the number of games he eventually plays.

Better than any of the guys Chia projected to play top 6 RW.

125. Admiral Ackbar says:

TheWholeLoafIsToast:
    Chia? TMac?

Here’s a novel & BOLD idea!
    Trade McDavid.

#TradeConnor

….. an example of how not to think….,,

Trade the most coveted asset in the league in a moment of panic. Very intelligent….

126. flyfish1168 says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Thinker,

If only Matt Hendricks was still playing for this team.Or Ethan Moreau.

127. Thinker says:

Admiral Ackbar: ….. an example of how not to think….,,

It’s a trap!

128. "Steve Smith" says:

Admiral Ackbar,

I’m giving him enough credit to think that his post is tongue-in-cheek. I acknowledge that I may be wrong to do so.

129. flyfish1168 says:

TheWholeLoafIsToast:
    Chia? TMac?

Here’s a novel & BOLD idea!
    Trade McDavid.

#TradeConnor

You cannot be an Oiler fan.

130. "Steve Smith" says:

flyfish1168: I thought that is why we brought in Lucic. The swagger he talks about. He is supposed to bring it.

JD_Wry: Let the guy who drafted Oesterle take over the team again!

Osterle was never drafted.

132. SwedishPoster says:

I watched this one with swedish commentators since it was the main game over here. It’s interesting since they don’t have to bother with maintaining relationships around the league they are far more blunt compared to NA commentators in their critique of teams and individual players. They also focus on slightly different things when they break the game down.

For example they pretty much mocked the heavy boots of Lucic, Maroon, Kassian, Khaira and Drai, not their top speed or skating ability but the way they stand still for long segments while the game happens around them.
    Another nugget was “as badly as the Oilers has struggled with the puck the forward group is even worse without the puck” which is pretty dead on.
    They praised McDavids skating and skill but slaughtered his defense and thought he waited around for rush chances too much. They thought Drai was pedestrian, both offensively, save some brilliant moments, and defensively.
    Also said they could understand that a team like the Oilers with a young core of players has some defensive issue but you’d expect a far more dynamic offense.
    The breakouts were picked apart by the crew as well, too slow, the D didn’t move their feet enough, the forwards didn’t give nearly enough support. And so on, they had very few positives regarding the Oil.

Can’t say I disagree with much of it, that was as bloodless as I’ve seen this team since the last days of Eakins. A lot of the critique are things we’ve discussed here, but it was refreshing to hear it so blatantly from the PbP guys. I’m sure the NA guys have similar thoughts but they always hold back.

133. StixMalone says:

This team has no swagger. It has a swatter to keep the flies off this big steaming pile of crap

134. Pescador says:

Pouzar:

I’m guessing he’s spent more time hiding in his office lately

135. SwedishPoster says:

jtblack: Consistent if nothing else.LT said it, those are quit on the coach style Losses

Yep. Our host is bang on as per usual.

136. StixMalone says:

SwedishPoster,

Yes they don’t have to worry about offending anyone and losing their job. Wish our media had balls and asked the tough questions at pressers…

137. Pescador says:

Admiral Ackbar: ….. an example of how not to think….,,

Rebel scum

138. Dicky94 says:

Pouzar,

Ya I feel sorry for him. A good GM would come out and support him. Which is why I believe Chia knows his own time is coming to an end.

Thinker: According to Friedman, TMac was on team Eberle. Also don’t think he hated Pitlick. The rest are up for debate.

TMc was NEVER on team Eberle. Did you watch the games and the press conferences?

Eberle was the player most thrown under the bus during press conferences.

140. JD_Wry says:

godot10: Osterle was never drafted.

Well signed then. Doesn’t change the point any.

141. TheWholeLoafIsToast says:

Dark humour isn’t well received here is it?
    I’d climb up on a soapbox to better defend/define my earlier post, but meh.
    Connor McDavid is the best thing to happen to the Oilers since a admirable fellow whom we refer to as the Great One played. No argument there.
    Yet with everyone waxing poetic about how super McDavid is and the rest of the team/management wouldn’t/couldn’t/shouldn’t pass as as a lowe grade can Dr.Ballards Chicken beaks & claws dog food, what exactly is the point of having this superstar waste away?
    It seems that regardless of who they put into managing and coaching, the majority of the fan base won’t be patient enough to allow the ups and downs to reveal the finished product. There will always be somebody smarter or qualified to make the “right” call.
    I’ve been an Oilers fan for as many years as I’ve been alive, sure this last decade plus has been ugly at times, but I sure as Gord made little green apples don’t think nor ever have, figured I could construct or coach an NHL team. As fans, our opinions and love/hate for our teams are our outlets, but there also comes a time to sit back and as LT says; wait.

Only 1 #Idiotic?
    Folks around here are slipping or going soft

142. Whatif says:

If you are relying on Lucy to provide the swagger for this team maybe you are looking for the wrong type of swagger.

Hockey is a game that requires the players to skate. We have yet to actually see Lucy skating. He and a handful of others are pylons instead of skaters.

143. JD_Wry says:

TheWholeLoafIsToast: Dark humour isn’t well received here is it?

I probably spoiled things for you with that Hitler reference.

Me bad.

144. TheWholeLoafIsToast says:

and to those questioning my intelligence/sanity…

I’m an Oilers fan. 30+ Years.

Also a school teacher.

I’ll let y’all discern how crazy I am.

145. Munny says:

TheWholeLoafIsToast: and to those questioning my intelligence/sanity…

I’m an Oilers fan. 30+ Years.

Well… this one has to be on the sanity test. 😉

146. JD_Wry says:

TheWholeLoafIsToast: I’ll let y’all discern how crazy I am.

flinches

147. Admiral Ackbar says:

“Steve Smith”,

I had to decide if it was a bad logic or a worse joke. I clearly underestimated it…

148. AsiaOil says:

Well they are done. Yeah this is the toughest stretch of the season with a far easier schedule coming up after the Nashville game. They put themselves in a position to be a playoff race with their play pre-Christmas and then threw it all away in the last 7 games. They needed to be at least 4-2-1 over this stretch (not 1-5-1) and that would have set up the back nine of the season. They didn’t, it won’t, it’s over.

So what to do

The UFA are all on the table. Maroon should get you something nice from STL, or Nashville could really use a guy like him. Maybe for Jarnkrok to center L3 and add some speed and skill to the bottom 6. He’s got a nice contract as well.

Cammy and Letestu go for picks but you quit playing them as they have no future on the team.

Hate to do it as he’s played real well – but I’d deal RNH for the right pieces – but it’s got to be a clear win for us. MTL is desperate for a center and a top 4 LHD (Sekera?) so there could be room for a big deal. But we either bleed them dry on the deal or I’m happy to keep RNH. Petry, Galchenyuk, Lehtonen, Gallager and even Weber (with salary retained obviously) are players of interest plus first round pick.

Then you play the kids in roles you want to see them next year. Either they seize the day or you get someone who can over the summer. JP at RW1, Sleppy at RW2, Cags at LW4, Khaira at C4. But for god sakes give them some stability and 20 games to see what we have instead of the BS that has gone on this year wrt development.

Sad end to the year on this road trip and the post-mortem discussions are going to be interesting. Be careful about firing the coach/GM. Nobody decent is going to want to come here if you ditch these guys now and bringing back MacT/Lowe/Gretz is the end of my interest in this franchise (I’m not alone in that feeling). Very disappointing year and you would think the entire team has a very different approach to the off-season and start of next year as the entire org pretty much took success for granted this season.

149. smellyglove says:

Do you want the negative outlook or the positive outlook? Let’s start:

NEGATIVE

Chiarelli has mismanaged the team over the past 9 months: instead of shoring up crucial positions with proven veterans (ie: D when the injuries stacked up or scoring wingers) he bled value, placing bad bets on tweeners. Case and point: Reinhart, Strome, LB, and to a lesser extent-Larsson. Last year was also abhorrent season as I mentioned previously: easy schedule, career years at important positions, and most importantly – no injuries.

Best case: Chiarelli gets value for futures and brings in a puck moving RHD and proven scorers on the wing, and the right personnel to right special teams (including players). This is not an elite team, and not a contender, but will be a bubble playoff squad for the next 4-8 years given all the bad contracts, including slight overpays to Draisaitl.

POSITIVE

Hockey is the most unpredictable sport and is subject to high season-to-season variance. See this article and video, “Why it’s so much harder to predict winners in hockey than basketball.” Perhaps last year was a slight outlier, but this year’s team is an advanced stats performer and simply fell to a collection of bad things happening at the same time: Drai + Sek injuries, whole team sickness, some fall-off from Talbot, and bad puck luck. The Oilers need to re-stock, badly, at blue chip positions in a deep draft. 2017-18 is not a tell for how the following season will fall.

….. So, what say you?

150. JD_Wry says:

smellyglove: ….. So, what say you?

It was the blurst of times.

151. digger50 says:

New Years Day

Coach had a chance to act like a person, allow the team to breathe. Allow them a break to enjoy the day and get thier heads rested.

Instead the coach tried to make a statement

I honestly feel there was a turning point here.

152. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Pouzar: A player in the NHL.

Good for him. TMac had no time for him. Nice to see him getting ice time with the Hawks. I’m sure he did’nt EARN it and it was GIFTED to him in Chicago. Opportunity is a thing.

153. flyfish1168 says:

“Steve Smith”: I thought that we brought in Lucic because our existing top-six wingers weren’t good enough at punching people.

That too. He talked about bringing many things to the team. He has been pretty quiet. He is supposed to be one of the leaders.

154. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

hunter1909:
    Expansion team quality hockey from the Oilers.

Hardly. The Oil are not even in the Knights rear view mirror.
    This looks like draft tank hockey … but it’s not. This is get the GM and Coach fired hockey.

155. OriginalPouzar says:

Lesson I am learning: As the tension in Oil Country heightens, there is a material increase in passive aggressive personal attacks against other members of the community due to them having different opinions.

156. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Munny:
    OV2 has had a couple of moments this game, especially in the 3rd

Too much like Oesterle. Oilers will put him on waivers soon. Hawks might be interested. They seem to like our defense castoffs.

157. Pouzar says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: Opportunity is a thing.

Yup.

Pro Scouting is a thing too.

158. Munny says:

Kassian, Strome, Nurse took the post-game interviews. Not exactly core representation.

159. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Bag of Pucks: Speaking of ‘declared truths’ revealed as bullshit…

The only thing that *has to happen* is we all die.

Everything else isn’t written in stone.

Enjoy the Oilers.

Eat at Arbys.

160. TheWholeLoafIsToast says:

A few posters lately have the poise & dignity of a wet fart.

Team does well = nitpick and complain.
    Team does not do well = draw and quarter everyone who doesn’t agree with them.

161. JD_Wry says:

Woodguy v2.0: Everything else isn’t written in Strome.

162. JD_Wry says:

TheWholeLoafIsToast: A few posters lately have the poise & dignity of a wet fart.

I pinched off a better loaf this morning.

Woodguy v2.0: The only thing that *has to happen* is we all die.

Everything else isn’t written in stone.

Enjoy the Oilers.

Eat at Arbys.

Well, it took all day but that’s a fine damn country song, sir. Well done!

OriginalPouzar:

165. OriginalPouzar says:

Both Hebig and Samorukov held off the score sheet today in losses.

166. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0: The only thing that *has to happen* is we all die.

Everything else isn’t written in stone.

Enjoy the Oilers.

Eat at Arbys.

Doesn’t matter how bad things get. DO NOT eat at Arby’s. There’s no reason to resort to self punishment

167. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: Meh. Everyone has their boiling point, and some here had that today. I’ll review the thread, but don’t recall anything that should be deleted. A reminder, we do not tolerate racism, sexism, bullying and insist on respect. And if you eat vegetables, please don’t preach about it. Thanks.

Or peach about it, if you eat fruit.

168. RMGS says:

When at mid-year your starting goalie has the third worst save % among those with at least 25 starts, you’re hoping to win the draft lottery – again.

169. danny says:

I find the tolerance of opinions here to be mostly fine.

The inflammatory stuff is people with a shtick or agenda. Patience wears thin and things escalate because these people are not interested in explorative discussion, just pushing their opinions or outlook.

Personally the most annoying shtick for me these days is the eternal optimism one. There’s a lot of bad shit to discuss right now. And I don’t trust anyone that smells roses while standing in this pile of shit.

170. Jethro Tull says:

Woodguy v2.0: The only thing that *has to happen* is we all die.

Everything else isn’t written in stone.

Enjoy the Oilers.

Eat at Arbys.

It is in the darkest days that I turn to the philosophy of Homer:

If I can keep Arby’s down, then I can keep you down.

Said about a virulent alien organism.

171. Dicky94 says:

Best thing about this weekend is I actually didn’t watch the games for once. Watch highlights and post game comments. Went to the ice shack all weekend and never drilled a hole in the ice. I fished liked the Oilers played hockey.

172. Jethro Tull says:

Beer braised beef short ribs with homemade cognac and maple syrup bbq sauce for supper. And village blacksmith stout. Season 2 of Dirk Gently, and suddenly the world seems ok.

173. OriginalPouzar says:

In addition to his goal, Maksimov was given 5 and a game for a check to the head in the 3rd period.

174. Jethro Tull says:

Dicky94:
    Best thing about this weekend is I actually didn’t watch the games for once. Watch highlights and post game comments. Went to the ice shack all weekend and never drilled a hole in the ice.I fished liked the Oilers played hockey.

I’ve been on plenty of fishing trips that were ruined by catching a fish.

175. OriginalPouzar says:

Mainstream media is full on blaming Chiarelli and excusing the coaching staff.

176. Pouzar says:

The NFC Wild Card teams are sooooo much better than the AFC.

177. Pouzar says:

Jethro Tull:

Nice!

Except doesn’t E.Wood remind you of Letestu?

178. VOR says:

I am a vegetarian.

Not by choice. I have gout and the crystals form not in my joints as much as my kidneys. After the 8th or 9th severe attack of kidney stones I finally went vegetarian.

There are times all the talk about meat on this blog makes me crazy jealous of all you carnivores.

On the other hand I still cook meat for other people and my family, friends, co-workers and clients have all benefitted from the carnivorous wisdom here. Not to mention the advice on intoxicating beverages.

So I suck it up and keep reading. I am taking one for the team.

179. Zelepukin says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Mainstream media is full on blaming Chiarelli and excusing the coaching staff.

Which is somewhat weird given that it’s not like the coaching staff doesn’t have decent options to produce an above average PP or a PK that isn’t the worst in NHL history.

180. Jethro Tull says:

Pouzar: Nice!

Except doesn’t E.Wood remind you of Letestu?

Well, I did wonder when Letestu was asked what he did with his cup ring.

181. Munny says:

Jethro Tull,

I had no idea there was a season one!

182. JD_Wry says:

Jethro Tull: homemade cognac

Wow, the long game played out for supper. Nice.

183. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Lowetide: Well, it took all day but that’s a fine damn country song, sir. Well done!

It’s in a left-handed minor key

184. Professor Q says:

VOR: I am a vegetarian.

So I suck it up and keep reading. I am taking one for the team.

No one is a carnivore.

Omnivore, yes, but never a carnivore.

185. Pouzar says:

Great WC game

186. Jethro Tull says:

Munny:
    Jethro Tull,

I had no idea there was a season one!

Would you take a holistic GM?

187. JD_Wry says:

Icons Presents

Harry Styles…

I’d rather have an Oprah taco.

188. frjohnk says:

AsiaOil,

Not a word I’d disagree with

189. VOR says:

I know this is going to sound fanciful.

But I can’t help wondering if in a strange sense history is about to repeat itself.

I find myself thinking about terrible hockey teams and famous moments of meltdown. The last time I felt as confused by an Oiler team as this Cam Cole wrote a column he ended up having to eat at center ice. It so perfectly captured my frustration.

What happened next was about one guy showing up to the following game determined to make Cam Cole eat those words and in the process proving the adage that sometimes the least is the most. No I am not thinking of Billy Ranford but rather the spark that lit the fuse and fired the Oilers into space. A little rodeo cowboy named Mark Lamb.

I am wondering if he is the next Head Coach of the Edmonton Oilers?

At the Junior and AHL level he has not exactly lit the world on fire. But he does have the reputation of being great with young players and a superb teacher of the game and professionalism. Not to mention he is supposedly, as he was as a player, hard working and constantly learning.

He is also I guess the term is Bon Vivant. The sort of guy who could pull that stick out of the Oilers ass and make hockey fun again for Connor and the rest.

A great short term caretaker while the Oilers search for the right guy. Maybe a guy who can hang on to the back of the coach killing bull the Oilers have become long enough to be The Guy.

190. Munny says:

Jethro Tull: Would you take a holistic GM?

Right now Professor Chronitis might be more useful.

And an Electric Monk to do the cheering for me.

191. OriginalPouzar says:

VOR: I am a vegetarian.

So I suck it up and keep reading. I am taking one for the team.

My wife is vegan, by choice.

I am not a vegan nor a vegetarian but I have up red meat on December 29, 2016 – last red meat meal was an amazing steak dinner in Buenos Aires – that was a great “last supper”.

Yes, I guess I care more about cows than I do about chickens or fish as I eat 7.5 ounces of chicken/day and 85g of white fish (cod or sole generally).

I just finished the most delicious vegetable salad: bell peppers, celery, red cabbage, pea pods, broccoli, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, kale, cucumber, zucchini – no dressing, just a squeeze of lemon.

Vegetables are delicious.

Go Oilers!

192. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar:
    Great WC game

Yup, the 2nd one was great, the 1st one may have been worse than the Oiler game today.

193. VOR says:

Professor Q: No one is a carnivore.

Omnivore, yes, but never a carnivore.

Actually even carnivores aren’t strictly carnivorous. They eat herbivores whose guts are filled with vegetables.

If we ate nothing but meat we would soon be dead.

That said, when was the last time anyone here talked about how to roast a butternut squash or caramelized onions? Mentally and emotionally we are carnivores.

I think we probably all grew up with our parents saying “eat your vegetables, they are good for you.”

Did you know James Cameron of Titanic fame owns a pea processing plant in Vanscoy in Saskatchewan?

194. frjohnk says:

Well after the game, I looked at my jar of shine from the cupboard, grabbed it, took a picture of it and posted on twitter “Ukrainian Xmas and Oilers are out of playoff race. Time for some Great Gido’s Home Brew”

Had 1 shot. Unlike the Oilers, it was smooth and there was no choking.

Then marinated some moose rib steaks. Cooked them up on the BBQ. So tender, we didnt need a knife to cut it.

I also made a broccoli, shredded carrot, diced apple with dried cranberries and pecan salad.

Kids gobbled it all up. Wish they would have saved more for me.

The globalist elites are going to tax your meat soon! -).

Enjoy your soylent green.

196. VOR says:

OriginalPouzar: My wife is vegan, by choice.

Vegetables are delicious.

Go Oilers!

I am close to being Vegan. In my thirties I began being allergic to dairy. I remain a fan of the egg. However, most of my diet is Vegan.

I love vegetables, though it sure didn’t start out that way.

We raise nearly everything we eat. We actually do farm gate sales of our produce (we have a large orchard as well as the garden), we also do farmer’s markets and sell directly to restaurants.

But we also raise chickens, goats, co-raise pigs and look after cattle. My wife refers to herself as a meatatarian.

197. Munny says:

frjohnk,

Veseloho Rizdva, Padre.

198. Professor Q says:

godot10:
    The globalist elites are going to tax your meat soon! -).

Enjoy your soylent green.

Which is in fact banned in Canada.

199. Scungilli Slushy says:

Shane: Milli Vanilli??

This.

When expectations aren’t met overreaction happens all to often, especially with our team. Blowing things up in the face of adversity can be as damaging as anything else. I think of the Canucks after the Bruins series – tailspin ever since.

If we look at the Oilers, this season is a let down. But what things should we look at?

What has changed over the years of adversity?

Upper management? Yes.

GM? Many tines

Coach? Many times?

Players? Almost all.

OBC?

There is only one constant. Knives are out again. This should have changed with Nicholson and Chiarelli if things are actually different. We’ve seen much more measured speech from the new people, but here we are again at these old things.

Not an attack on anyone, just plain facts.

A one year hiccup has happened to many teams, Glory Oilers too, and should be taken in stride given cap issues and how many young players are breaking in given the draft record of the previous people in charge, which is crystal clear at this point.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »