G44 2017-18 Oilers at Predators

During Peter Chiarelli’s conversation with Ryan Rishaug yesterday, one of (several) interesting subjects discussed was the trade deadline.

• Peter Chiarelli: “I’m going to wait a little bit, we’ve got our pro meetings coming up next week. We’ve got a few games left here before that, and then we’ll have to make a decision. If we’re not significantly back to where we should be in that time, there is an element of margins here, we’ll have to make that decision in a week’s time.”

It’s over. The pro meetings will no doubt cover subjects like “finding the next Patrick Maroon” and “does Cody Franson have trade value?” with trading out beginning as early as the All-Star break.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

RED RUM, YEAR OVER YEAR

• January 2016: 2-2-0, goal differential -1 (4 points)
  • January 2017: 2-2-0, goal differential -2 (4 points)
  • January 2018: 1-3-0, goal differential -12 (2 points)

G5 January in 2015-16 was a 4-3 overtime loss to the Arizona Coyotes (OEL) and last year was a 5-3 loss to the San Jose Sharks. The Oilers are getting absolutely pounded in January 2018 and Nashville is a damn good team. This could get ugly.

AFTER 44, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 17-23-3, goal differential -25 (37 points)
  • Oilers 16-17: 21-15-7, goal differential +6 (49 points)
  • Oilers 17-18: 18-22-3, goal differential -23 (39 points)
G44 15-16 was a 4-3 overtime loss to Arizona as above, last year it was 3-2 Edmonton over New Jersey. The Oilers were 0-2-1 last season against Nashville, 0-1 (-4 GD) this season. Have a backup plan tonight, even if it’s just Jeopardy reruns.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM JANUARY

• At home to: Los Angeles, Anaheim (Expected 0-1-1) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: Dallas, Chicago, Nashville, Arizona, Vegas (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 0-2-0)
  • At home to: Vancouver, Buffalo, Calgary (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 4-4-2, 10 points in 10 games
  • Current results: 1-3-0, two points in four games

At this point, there’s no use predicting when the Oilers will win because they’re beating themselves. If they show up tonight, the club could win. If the Preds get the first goal, and then another, find a comedy and check back at 15 minute intervals.

I’d put in a claim, and look at dealing someone at the deadline. Defensemen always have ridiculous value at the trade deadline and we’re seven weeks from it. Do the Oilers have room? Yes.

50-MAN LIST

• Edmonton has room for one more (via CapFriendly)
  • Deadline exits might include Patrick Maroon, Mark Letestu, Mike Cammalleri, Ryan Strome, Brandon Davidson. Adding Cody Franson, having him play well in a showcase role  (some power-play time) and then dealing at the deadline is a reasonable idea.

It feels like change is in the air but things will have to be finessed a little. When a general manager is in trouble, you’ll often see a bizarre trade to save the day, we haven’t seen that from Peter Chiarelli. He didn’t see a palace coup coming last time, so maybe history is about to repeat.

There’s no strong reason to remove Chiarelli today, beyond offering a sacrifice to the fans (that does have a role in this, in my opinion). If you are actively hoping for a Chiarelli firing, this tweet may indicate the attempted coup has failed for now.

In each of the summers of his regime, PC has made a major trade that bled talent. That is now the pressure point for the fanbase, but the old bulls in management would have signed off on the Reinhart, Hall and Eberle deals.

That’s a concern that we should address, in my opinion. The entirety of Oilers Nation is focused on getting rid of Chiarelli, while not worrying much at all about the powers behind the overthrow and the new king.

There’s every chance Chiarelli’s firing will be followed by a honeymoon period and then a grand summer of ‘name’ acquisitions. That isn’t what these Edmonton Oilers need, ladies and men. The club needs astute procurement in a few places and it needs that procurement right damned now. Cody Franson, Anthony Duclair, these are players who are either available or rumored to be available. Maybe they don’t work out, but you have 40 games of audition in front of you.

I’m not telling you to lay off Peter Chiarelli, he has created his own reality. I would ask you spend a moment contemplating his replacement and how much experience that man (or those men) have in the job. The Oilers don’t need Sam Pollock or Glen Sather but an intelligent, mature and measured approach is required. All is not lost, but it could be, and if the job was easy it would pay minimum wage. Beware the future created when men who know not what they are doing are given great responsibility. With that in mind, I believe Kevin Lowe is the best available from the front office but I think the next general manager is going to be the most famous former hockey player on the planet. I expect it comes in the next seven days, or mid-April.

670 Responses to "G44 2017-18 Oilers at Predators"

« Older Comments
  1. hags9k says:

TMac’s team played hard tonight. They were ready. They looked like they still believe. It should be pointed out that they played this hard long after much of the “fan” base has jumped into life boats.

2. wood99 says:

When is JP going to ever get a chance on the pp with Mcdavid or an opportunity late in the game like tonight. What does he have to do,8 goals in 21 games and still given no chance. But let’s put out slow mo Letetu or lumbering lucic because that has been working so well for us. I also agree that Tmac needs to lose his shit about the state of officiating. Show your players you have their back as they are clearly frustrated with it.

3. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

hags9k:
    Mike Wazowski,

It was Klef and the 1st rounder.

Runs and hides.

4. Spooky Lynx says:

Mike Wazowski,

“Intent to blow” is the funniest thing in hockey in my very honest opinion.

5. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

hags9k:
    TMac’s team played hard tonight.They were ready.They looked like they still believe.It should be pointed out that they played this hard long after much of the “fan” base has jumped into life boats.

This can’t be serious. You are joking, right?

6. Diablo says:

wood99:

When TMac is fired.

wood99:
    Show your players you have their back as they are clearly frustrated with it.

That’s not his style.

7. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Diablo: When TMac is fired.

That’s not his style.

Ah, I was looking for you earlier this thread. Fess up now, did you make a deal with Katz/Lowe?

8. Whatif says:

What if the Oilers D men could actually make a pass on the tape to anyone on their team? I watched Benning and others tonight and it was horrific – repeatedly.

What if the D men didn’t have to pass back and forth prior to ever passing to a forward.

What if the Oilers D men could actually skate the puck forward without having to circle behind the net?

What if the D men were mobile, strong skating puck movers?

What if JP was ful grown with his man strength? Played well again tonight.

What if the refs saw the same game we did?

9. wood99 says:

Klefdumb for Brock Nelson and 2rounder.Im scare for PC dealing with snow but I think that would be a deal I would look at…..thoughts

10. Spooky Lynx says:

Whatif:

What if the D men were mobile, strong skating puck movers?

What if JP was ful grown with his man strength? Played well again tonight.

30 For 30 presents: The Season That Never Was

11. hags9k says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Mostly serious! They played hard. Most of the fans have given up on them.

I have no idea where the effort goes the other 2/3 of the time, but it didn’t look like a team trying to shed a coach tonight.

12. OmJo says:

Whatif: Many on here are saying the Oilers played a much better game. They didn’t. They lost the game so this was no better than the last several games. I don’t care what the statistics say.

And saying they played a much better game is not the same as saying they played a perfect game.

They played a much better game relative to how they’ve played post-Christmas. They didn’t get shut out, didn’t give up 5 goals, and actually dominated for a good part of 2 periods. Came literally centimetres away from tying the game up.

They played a much better game.

13. Diablo says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

I’ve reached my threshold for sh$tty Oilers hockey.

I’m done with TMac as coach:
    – can’t fix the PK
    – can’t fix the PP
    – can’t get this team ready to start a game
    – can’t get this team to break out the puck out of their own zone properly.
    – stubbornly favours the likes of Korpikoski, Letestu, Gryba etc over the Pitlicks, Jesses and Oesterles
    – gets absolutely no respect from the refs

Does anyone think that VGK has more talent than the Oilers at forward or on D?
    The difference is coaching.

Osteopenia shoots LEFT. He is being carried by Keith defensivel.

The D are just playing McLellan’s systems. Rimming and resetting and the D to D passes are part of his system.

15. OmJo says:

wood99:

Nicholson should force General Disappointment to block Snows number and unfriend him on Facebook.

It starts off with Klefbom and a 2nd for Nelson, and ends up Klefbom for Clutterbuck, 1 for 1.

16. Oilspill says:

Vgn got a whole team of second liners. Many are better.

Diablo:
    NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

I’ve reached my threshold for sh$tty Oilers hockey.

I’m done with TMac as coach:
    – can’t fix the PK
    – can’t fix the PP
    – can’t get this team ready to start a game
    – can’t get this team to break out the puck out of their own zone properly.
    – gets absolutely no respect from the refs

Does anyone think that VGK has more talent than the Oilers at forward or on D?
    The difference is coaching.

17. LMHF#1 says:

hags9k:

That’s what a regular game should look like. It sure hasn’t.

18. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

hags9k:
    Mike Wazowski,

It was Klef and the 1st rounder.

Correct. I had to plus the deal up because Oesterle had 2 more assists tonight and well … the organization kind of has some history of slight overpayment when they find themselves in a tight spot.

On a related topic, would love to see Mike’s “roll my body” emoticon. I don’t think I have ever seen one before and am having a hard time visualizing it.

19. OmJo says:

godot10: Osteopenia

This sounds like a disease.

Or one of those experimental medicines you see on the commercials. You know, the ones that can cure your asthma but also cause your skin to shed and your lungs to start to bleed internally.

20. hags9k says:

OmJo,

Yes. It’s a better game when I find myself actually pulling for the team again at 0-2 instead of hoping they get punished 0-5, or scrolling the guide for comedies and checking back at 15 min intervals. That was funny LT btw.

21. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Never fear, Seabrook was scratched tonight. The real deal is Klef and the 1st for Seabrook.

Runs and hides.

This is funny. The other night someone here mentioned that they thought Pete had a Taylor Hall deal on the table for a top 4D and 2 first round picks. The first thing that popped into my head was Chicago and Seabrook.

22. OmJo says:

hags9k,

Aside from the end, I actually enjoyed the game. They didn’t cave after giving up the first goal. I expected them to get demolished after the way the first period went but to my surprise they clawed back.

Now just stop giving up the first goal and they might actually win a game or two.

23. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Diablo,

It’s buried a while back, but I had a theory that this team suffers because management made a deal with you to have a dynasty of first overall picks.

24. hags9k says:

LMHF#1: That’s what a regular game should look like. It sure hasn’t.

Yes this is totally fair, and correct. TMac is on the hook for why they can’t show up consistently. I was more trying to point out that it appears to me that the team hasn’t quit yet. That’s a big deal. Everyone else seems to have packed it in.

25. JD_Wry says:

wood99: Klefdumb

Ha!

Ha ha!

Ha ha ha!

26. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: This is funny.The other night someone here mentioned that they thought Pete had a Taylor Hall deal on the table for a top 4D and 2 first round picks.The first thing that popped into my head was Chicago and Seabrook.

Ha ha. as I recall, Pete did not have that deal on his table. An anonymous GM told a member of the MSM that had he known Hall was on the block he would have offered a top 4D and two first rounders.

Could have been sour grapes.

27. hags9k says:

OmJo,

Yup, the fans can handle losing. We can’t handle if they pout and play like losers.

Pretty sure if you boil down all posts tonight I’m basically saying Moral Victory.

I’ll see myself out.

28. Mike Wazowski says:

Whatif,

I’ve seen a lot of comments like this over the years. A team doesn’t develop or go from losing to winning by flipping a switch. While the points lost are no different than a 13-0 loss the truth is they played a very good game tonight and lost. They controlled the play for most of the second and third.

This was an encouraging game given how tough things have been lately.

29. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

hags9k,

Yeah, I meant the part about the fans. Can we really blame them if some have given up for this year. Maybe they are out catching up with friends or wooing someone of the opposite gender (or same gender if you are so inclined) at the bar, or spending quality time with the kids playing tiddlywinks or something. Who knows.

I would hope the players don’t mail it in the rest of the year. It was a nice effort tonight. It would be nice if they consistently did that at least.

Helps those of us masochists who are still left at least enjoy the ride somewhat.

30. Mike Wazowski says:

Spooky Lynx,

I think it’s stupid as well but apply it the same way all the time.

31. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Diablo:
    NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

I’ve reached my threshold for sh$tty Oilers hockey.

I’m done with TMac as coach:
    – can’t fix the PK
    – can’t fix the PP
    – can’t get this team ready to start a game
    – can’t get this team to break out the puck out of their own zone properly.
    – gets absolutely no respect from the refs

Does anyone think that VGK has more talent than the Oilers at forward or on D?
    The difference is coaching.

32. Diablo says:

Oilspill,

We have McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH down the middle. I’ll take that over what VGK has. Strength down the middle … we’ve been saying for years this is far more important than scoring from the wings. Now we have it and all anyone wants to talk about is the lack of depth on the wings. Excuses, excuses.

You know what would make our forwards more dangerous – driving the lanes and shooting the puck … instead of trying to pass it in to the net. A good coach would have fixed the pass-happy tendencies of our centers by now.

Our D is comparable if not better than VGK (unless you think the likes of Sbisa and Engelland are better that what we have on D).

We have more than enough talent to compete as evidenced by decent 5×5 play.

Special teams, and breakouts have been killing us – that’s on the coaches.

its time for a new voice – this thing won’t turn around until better coaching is obtained.

33. LMHF#1 says:

Gustafsson recalled by the Hawks.

34. Diablo says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Diablo,

Seems like it.

35. Diablo says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan: I’ve given what you’ve written careful consideration and the text that follows summarizes where I have to respectfully disagree.

Well said again!

36. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Diablo,

Honest question, how does a coach fix a grown mans pass first tendencies and convince him to shoot more?

My guess is that it involves some sort of tape review, one on one sessions, subtle reminders during the game and maybe the occaision outright “hey you should work in shooting during drills today.”

No way, TMac and Co have tried that

37. hags9k says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

After the last decade plus, fans of this team are entitled to bail whenever they want. It would be nice however to see them stick around a little longer than they have this year.

I still see a team that is capable of a huge run. A McDavid’s team doing McDavid’s team things kind of run.

They have to believe that first though. An effort like tonight gets me back on the wagon for next game.

Did the decade in Shawshank not teach us to never give up hope? (insert HallOmarkPaajarviEberle joke here.).

I’ve got all summer to whine on the golf course, so I’m going to hang in and cheer just a little longer, but understand fully those who just can’t.

38. Boil-in-the-Oil says:

OmJo:
    hags9k,

For me the whole game changed when Connor sped down the ice and scored (and what a beauty it was). It was as if someone flipped a switch and the entire team awoke. So apparently all this team needs is for Captain Connor to score early (in every game, mind you) and who knows . . . magic.

39. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Yeah, efforts like that will keep people coming back. There was no quit tonight.

Still, 4 goals in 6 games now. Just won’t cut it. Stating the obvious, but this is where we are.

40. hags9k says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Yup, it’s not good. But at least they didn’t get down early and roll over play dead. Play hard. Lose fine, but play hard for fuck sakes. There’s been way too many games where the Oiler logo could have been used for roll whole body emoji.

41. Diablo says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Diablo,

No way, TMac and Co have tried that

One wonders.
    This team continues to make the same mistakes over and over again.
    Adhering to flawed systems for far too long.

Other GMs and coaches have commented on this already, especially when it comes to CMD.
    Perhaps TMac has tried but it hasn’t worked consistently – no one gets open more often than Connor and yet somehow he’s not even top 30 in the league for SOG. He needs to shoot more – I’ve been saying so (begging really) since last season. He hangs on to the puck too long at the half boards on the PP looking for someone to pass to … it slows everything down and makes the PP completely static.

Its time for a new voice in the locker room.

Or perhaps we just need Ryan Whitney to bet CMD that he can’t score 50 (worked for Crosby).

42. Thinker says:

Why do so many people think that 3 good centers means it’s fine to have 6/8 below replacement level wingers? Only Lucic and Khaira have been above average, and one is a guy who has never scored at a high level ever, and may never again. Every other team with strength down the middle has some dangerous wingers to boot (Ex-Anahiem). Not to mention the plethora of teams (Pittsburgh) who win with a combination of centers and wingers. At what point did 3 centers become more important than the whole team picture?

43. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Diablo,

I 100% agree with almost everything and yes the trying to pass the puck into the net (especially on the PP) is extremely frustrating but it’s clear he doesn’t quite trust his shot yet. Which is too bad because it’s a good accurate shot but I’m almost certain it will come around as he matures.

I also agree the team needs to shoot more but it goes back to their static offense. Too much standing around, not enough movement to open up lanes.

I’ll get into it more again tomorrow but I don’t think it’s a coaching tactic. It’s confidence and creativity, two things that are in short supply when you’re in a team wide slump.

44. €v¥£€us says:

I can’t believe we’re here again talking about offside. The NHL has crapped the bed by not doing anything about this stupid rule. Why do they hate goals so much. it is nearly impossible to come back from a deficit after the second period and they punish teams who come back like this and Poof! no goal. Brilliant.

Why do they hate their fans? Or at least Oilers fans?

#smartenthefuckupnhl

45. VOR says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Diablo,

No way, TMac and Co have tried that

McDavid will start shooting it the night a defence seeing McDavid racing up the ice starts moving to defend that winger, the one who is otherwise going to find open ice and score. All Oilers fans of a certain age watched Wayne Gretzky realize defences were starting to shade Jari Kurri. The result was beyond electric. I’d argue they are the greatest scoring duo of all time.

I am sure there were nights opposing D men just wanted to lay down on the ice and cry. How the hell are you supposed to defend that? It must have been incredibly disheartening to realize the next line had another terrifying scoring duo, who as well as using you as pylons were likely to chop your head off or at least neuter you.

McDavid is taking the play he is given by defences. I know it doesn’t look that way to us fans. But I bet that is what he sees and feels on the ice. Want him to score more get him a scorer to play with. Puljujarvi may well eventually be that guy.

Right now McDavid lacks a key offensive weapon.

That first game of the year scared every team in the NHL and they started adjusting, giving his wingers wide open looks rather than McDavid time and space and a window to shoot. But then his wingers couldn’t convert. Still can’t.

46. Thinker says:

VOR: It is simple. Connor McDavid will begin to shoot more the day he comes flying through center ice, crosses the blue line, pulls the defence to him, and throws a no look pass to empty ice and his winger magically appears and one times it off the cross bar and in. Well it will take more than that. It will take that winger to do it over and over again.

Right now McDavid lacks a key offensive weapon.

1000 times this. More eloquent than I could ever put it. Connor is Bosh in TO.

47. dsr29 says:

Sorry I just got here, but wasn’t that a hooking penalty on Macdavid’s breakaway?

48. Pescador says:

dsr29,

Uncalled penalty, yes. 1 of many

49. deardylan says:

Been awhile since I posted.

Shingles and Oilers

Just as Oilers went on a serious skid my body also took a deep dive into “Shingles”. Anyone else ever had this condition before?

Shingles.

Yeah that skin/nerve condition that took Letterman out after years of his almost perfect attendance on the late show.

Like my chest and arms constantly being stung by jelly fish. Usually I am good to go from any cold/sickness in about 3 days and this one 3 weeks!

I blame it on the high of highs before Christmas of Oilers winning streak and then boom the lows of Oilers not being able to score and getting blown out game after game. Ouch! Double Ouch!

Anyway good thing about shingles is it could easily be diagnosed as a heart attack with all the crazy pain symptoms on one side of the body. Shingles you can live with it– heart attack is another level and happy that my heart is still healthy.

Well hopefully Oilers can retool, redraft, rework the lines without all the hype of winning the StanleyCup. Its all part of the life journey and it is never, ever, ever boring with the Oilers.

Glad to read Original Pouzar keeping the faith and keeping people immune system working.

#ShingleBells

50. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

deardylan,

I had shingles a decade ago. Feel your pain. Did you know it was a type of herpes? And I always used the appropriate protection so what’s up with that?! I kid, this kind of herpes is not a STD.

51. OriginalPouzar says:

Strome had a wonderful game last night playing 3C – one of his best games of the year. High compete and battle level and made numerous talented plays with the puck.

We’ve seen some of those glipses before this year but no consistency. I think, anecdotally, that his best games have come as a center.

Given the state of the season, I think it behooves the organization to give him a long look at 3C for the rest of the year. If he plays like he did last night it wills how that he can be the 3C next year and, assuming he will sign a reasonable contract (i.e. less than the $3M he would need to be qualified for), we would be able to pencil him in as 3C and it would fill one of our top 6 winger positions (i.e. Nuge in top 6 and one of Nuge or Drai or even McDavid plays wing in the top 6).

52. OriginalPouzar says:

Benson held pointless last night in a 5-1 Giants win.

53. russ99 says:

Good to see Todd give the refs a little shade in the presser.

Loved the compete level, there’s no reason why we can’t see that every game.

As for the two big criticisms of last night:

Nashville clogs up the neutral zone better than most teams, and those extra passes were needed. I thought the Oilers did a great job of getting the puck behind the trap and getting it back, keeping it in their zone and getting good shots, which is the purpose of zone exit/entry.

Also, once Jesse can put those shots in the net with regularity, I have no doubt he’ll be on the power play. But he’s not cashing, and missing the net too much. This is also why he’s been moved off Connor’s line. He’s played great, but he needs to score to get the top roles.

54. OriginalPouzar says:

The bitterness with respect to Osterle (who is doing well playing with one of the best d-men of the generaation) is a little silly.

Lets not forget, Osterle didn’t have interest in signing with the Oilers as he was well aware of the leftorium and was looking for destination with a more direct line to the NHL.

He may not have been pursued hard by management but it was well known that the player wanted to move on.

55. OriginalPouzar says:

OmJo: Saying they played a much better game is not the same as saying they got a much better result.

They played a much better game.

I’m not sure how anyone can deny that they played a much better game tonight unless, of course, they didn’t watch the game and solely looked at the end result.

I felt their breakout passing was much better – I posted half way through the first period that they had made more tape to tape passes then in the last two weeks combined.

They essentially carried the play for the last 40 minutes – it wasn’t garbage time or score effects, it was the team playing well and coming in waves against one of the better teams in their own rink.

They didn’t finish and therefore they didn’t win – that’s a problem but it is what it is.

That was a very entertaining game to watch and I look forward to back to backs on the weekend.

I know I’ll be watching.

56. OriginalPouzar says:

There was no such deal “on the table” – the verbal about better returns for Hall was a GM that spoke up after the fact that said he didn’t know Hall was on the table and would have put in a “better offer”.

Easy to say after the fact.

57. OriginalPouzar says:

deardylan:
    Been awhile since I posted.

Shingles and Oilers

Just as Oilers went on a serious skid my body also took a deep dive into “Shingles”.Anyone else ever had this condition before?

Shingles.

Like my chest and arms constantly being stung by jelly fish.Usually I am good to go from any cold/sickness in about 3 days and this one 3 weeks!

I blame it on the high of highs before Christmas of Oilers winning streak and then boom the lows of Oilers not being able to score and getting blown out game after game.Ouch!Double Ouch!

Anyway good thing about shingles is it could easily be diagnosed as a heart attack with all the crazy pain symptoms on one side of the body.Shingles you can live with it– heart attack is another level and happy that my heart is still healthy.

#ShingleBells

Sorry to hear this – I wish you health and happiness.

58. Oilspill says:

godot10:
    Osteopenia shoots LEFT.He is being carried by Keith defensivel.

The D are just playing McLellan’s systems.Rimming and resetting and the D to D passes are part of his system.

D to D passes are part of all systems. It’s the forwards who need to be low in support. Rimming is along an option. It’s Bennings only option it seems.

59. OriginalPouzar says:

Alot of vitrol towards the coach due to the “rimming of the puck” by the d-men generally.

I’m quite certain that the coach isn’t instructing his d-men to rim the puck around the boards as the first option of transition but as an emergency option if there is not safe play that keeps possession.

Unfortunately, our defense as a group is struggling to transition the puck forwards (a combination of the lack of puck-moving ability on the back-end and the forward not being in position for a quick transition) which leads to more resets, D to D passes and, unfortunately, board rims.

Russell has been playing the right side quite a bit where he is materially worse at puck moving.
    Larsson can move the puck forward but has been playing hurt and slow and has, seemingly, lost his confidence in this area.
    Nurse is getting better but he seems more comfortable skating the puck out than moving it forward via pass
    Klef is the best puck mover but, again, is struggling with confidence and consistency.

60. danny says:

OriginalPouzar,

It doesn’t make sense to me that any GM would not know Hall was on the table. Trading a marquis player during an offseason, letting 29 GMs know they can make an offer should be considered basic due diligence. What could be the harm? It’s a pretty big move to make. I’d like to think all avenues were explored first.

61. OriginalPouzar says:

I don’t disagree and I’m not saying that Chia did a good job in the trade negotiations – just kinda of providing a technical point that Chia didn’t turn down an offer for a top 4 d-man and 2 good picks – that offer wasn’t on the table.

It very well could have been Chia’s fault that the offer wasn’t on the table if he indeed did not look around the league for the best deal.

Maybe the trade wasn’t about trading Taylor Hall but it was about acquiring Adam Larsson – maybe he had an acquisition target as opposed to a disposition target and, during the course of negotiations, it was Taylor Hall that became the price?

I’m not saying that would relieve Chia of any culpability for not getting a bit more back in the trade or for the skill drain but its another way of looking at it.

Dear Dylan: sorry to hear about your malady. The problem with shingles (or Lyme disease) is that the name implies something about which we are position neutral. I have shingles on my roof and lime can help a drink! They should call it ‘pain flesh death bite’ then people would know.

63. Spooky Lynx says:

deardylan,

I am just getting over a bout of shingles myself (sores are nearly healed). Yes, shingles: that affliction I had always assumed only effected people over the age of 50 and not twenty-somethings.

Quite a way to spend the holiday season.

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    deardylan,

Did you know it was a type of herpes?.

I didn’t know this until my family had come over for Christmas festivities. Imagine my delight at having my extended family discover my “herpes” medication. My goodness.

64. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Connoreah:
    Woodguy v2.0,

“McDavid, Hall, Drai, RNH, Eberle, and even Pitlick were all on the same roster at one time.”

Right. Along with Nikitin, Fayne, Schultz and Ference as our top 4.

I’m not happy with where we are today, but this narrative that things were actually good before the Hall trade is revisionist history.

You misunderstand my post.

Offensive talent is the single toughest thing to acquire in the NHL.

EDM tanked for 5 years after being shitty for 5 years when they finally figured this out.

They tanked to get offensive talent.

Now a lot of the talent has been sent away.

The problem with the Hall Oilers was *most* of the roster, but the easiest part of the roster to fix.

It wasn’t good, but it was fixable.

Now EDM is back in a spot were “they need more scoring talent”

FFS, they had it.

McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl, Eberle, RNH and 16th in 2015 were all in Chia’s pocket when he got the job.

Now they’re looking for scoring talent because they don’t have enough and its not easy to acquire.

It angers up my blood so much.

65. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar:

Spot on.

66. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Side: In the room the women come and go
    Talking of Michelangelo.

Bitterness makes for a great whetstone.

67. flea says:

Bad 1st, but the Oilers were the better team in the second and third. They have to find a way to get the first goal! I think if they woul’ve scored the first last night, they would’ve at least gotten a bettman.

Frustrating to see this team basically take it to the Preds 2/3 periods. Where is this team night after night? It was an entertaining game, at least, didn’t regret watching it this time.

68. stevezie says:

VOR,

This is a heckuva well written point, and it makes sense to me.

God bless Jari Kurri

OriginalPouzar:

You are describing poor coaching.

70. Edmonton’s Direction Should Be Quite Clear | The Oilers Rig says:

[…] During Chiarelli’s media tour, he mentioned the direction of this hockey team. Specifically, when talking to TSN’s Ryan Rishaug, Chiarelli discussed the upcoming trade deadline. Here is his quote, via Lowetide. […]

« Older Comments