Slip Kid (It’s a hard, hard world)

Here’s an off day, meaning we get a chance to catch up on a few things. I have a few thoughts that have been rolling around in my brain, today’s a good day to get them out. One of the things we’ve done this winter is make everything black and white and I want to push back against that idea. In our zeal to prove ourselves right and others wrong, we’ve used hyperbole to push the narrative and perhaps missed the big part of the story.

What’s the big part of the story? This Edmonton Oilers team has an enormous base of young talent. The margins for winning and losing are so razor thin in the NHL, the Oilers (and Senators) could be right back in the final 8 (or better) next spring (2019).

This is a miserable season and there should be a reckoning, whatever that moment may hold. Let’s not lose sight of the big picture, the reason why getting the management and coaching is so important. There is dual work for a manager, build the system and push the NHL roster to greatness. Who is the man that can make this thing wheel? I do not have your answer. I will say it’s not complete darkness and you should remember that about this Oilers team. They have a wonderful story to tell, just not this year.

THE ATHLETIC

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

Back in the summer, back when Jordan Eberle was being traded for Ryan Strome, we talked a lot about the team in 2017-18 and the overall organization depth at forward.

• Lowetide blog, June 22, 2017This was a net loss and the trade could have waited until next summer. It continues a trend of getting less than 100 cents on the dollar in feature trades that may eventually cost Peter Chiarelli his job as general manager of this organization. I don’t see it happening any time soon. If both Jesse Puljujarvi and Tyler Benson turn out, and the club can grab one of Eeli Tolvanen, Kailer Yamamoto, Robert Thomas or Josh Norris, things should start coming together in terms of forward depth. Spencer Foo may arrive next week and he could be part of the future. This trade was a net loss, but I do like the bet. Ryan Strome is a big center who has struggled in an organization famous for sabotaging their own youths. Strome is a lesser player, but not necessarily a lesser talent. Todd McLellan may unlock Strome and that’s the bet the club made. We Wait. Source

I have a few things wrong (was looking at the good draft work done by PC’s group, and also thinking the McDavid-Talbot magic would hold for a second season), but the prospects are coming around (although they are some ways from landing) and I maintain the Strome story doesn’t have to end badly (nor should it end after 44 games).

You can’t find many who have much good to say about Ryan Strome but this is early days. Strome didn’t get himself traded for Jordan Eberle, so let’s talk about the player. Here are his year over year numbers:

That’s pretty close folks, not much difference one season to the next. His shooting percentage regressed but 13.75 was unrealistic for 5×5. Needs to shoot more, he had good linemates both seasons (43 percent of his time with Brock Nelson last year, 33 percent with Leon Draisaitl this year) and isn’t playing much with Connor McDavid.

I know it’s sexy these days to bury everything Peter Chiarelli touched, I understand the disappointment of another season at the bottom of the coulee. Strome isn’t dynamic but that doesn’t mean he is incapable of playing a complementary role. If the club can get him on a reasonable contract, Strome could be part of the solution next season.

Ethan Bear is one of the emerging stories at the pro level this season, I’d rank him just behind the NHL steps made by Jesse Puljujarvi and Darnell Nurse. You never know with defensemen, all you can do is track their response to challenges and assume there isn’t a Denver boot in their game that will keep them from becoming an NHL player. Our man Bear is at least a year away by my estimates but there are good arrows.

That’s some nice company, the Oilers have at least two (Caleb Jones) legit defensive prospects in Bakersfield and who knows maybe a third (Ryan Mantha). This blog tracked a trio of college men (Jeff Petry, Taylor Chorney, Cody Wild) a decade ago, the lesson being one will turn out, one will not make it and a third will be a tweener. We don’t have much separation yet between Bear and Jones, perhaps that’s a good sign.

Mr. Seravalli has two Oilers on his list (Patrick Maroon, Mark Letestu) and they should fetch something of use (my latest article at The Athletic discusses some possibilities).

• Bob McKenzie: “The Edmonton Oilers – outright disaster in Edmonton the way their season has gone. Maroon had a career year last year, hasn’t been that good this year. And he’s the type of guy along with maybe Mark Letestu, Mike Cammalleri – if you’re on an expiring contract in Edmonton, you quite likely could be available.” Source

Ideally the Oilers grab a plug-and-play option for Maroon, maybe a mid-round draft pick for Letestu. Mike Cammalleri may also get dealt, I’ve been impressed with him in the last several weeks. What about blue? Brandon Davidson? Matt Benning? I’d keep both men.

325 Responses to "Slip Kid (It’s a hard, hard world)"

« Older Comments

Professor Q:
    Well, my friends, I might not be as active (not that I already am) in the next week or so.

The pneumonia didn’t react to the antibiotics I was taking (ended about a week ago) and now it has come back with a vengeance. The doctor said if this new bout doesn’t work, then she has no idea what the next step will be. Likely ICU hospitalization. Sigh. My luck continues.

Go Oilers, be respectful of each other, and don’t go *too* crazy with the Doom and Gloom predictions.

You hang in there. This is a bad year for this kind of illness, seems we say it every year but I have relatives who cannot shake whatever is going on. Hurry back soon.

Bag of Pucks:
    LT, I wrote what I thought was a pretty on point post this morning and the site said it had been flagged as spam? Are you seeing that on your end?

I will check, sorry I didn’t see earlier.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

I just realized that Maksimov has been suspended for four games for a hit last Sunday – ouch.

He’s been smoking hot – near the top of the OHL goal scoring leaders.

Bag of Pucks: It was, and I’m sorry. Everyone: Please go back to 10:55am and read BofP’s post.

5. Scungilli Slushy says:

If Chiarelli was worried about an offer sheet, given he agreed to pay more than market value for Leon why didn’t he just sign him the day after Connor? Crisis averted.

Because they were moving players for reasons of sideburns come Hell or high water.

This is a familiar pattern, why do I recognize it? 🙂

Do right by us moving forward Oiler management.

For The Athletic: Leon Draisaitl’s giant contract makes him vulnerable

7. Thinker says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Ok.

In my last post I had included Slepy’s TOI with Caggiula in his time w/ 97, 29 and 93. Ooops.

Changed the results big time.

Its really hard to separate goals with 29 or 97 from goals with 29 AND 97, but I think I got it.

Here’s the last two years of Slepy and Caggiula with 97, 29 and 93.I’m pretty sure I didn’t double count goals with both 29 & 97 on the ice, as everything added up.

Sleppy – last 2 years
    1 goal w/ 97 in 29 minutes
    1 goal w/ 93 in 109 minutes
    2 goals w/ 29 in 108 minutes

4 goals in 246 minutes = 0.98 G/60 a very good number, albeit in a small sample.

Sleppy without those 3 over the last 2 years:

7 goals in 417 minutes = 1.01 G/60 a very good number, albeit in a small sample

Caggiula without those 3 last 2 years
    1 goal with 55 in 214 minutes
    0 goals in 373 minutes away from all 4 main C’s

1 goal in 587 minutes = 0.002 G/60.Almost like he wasn’t actually there

Overall 8 goals in 1004 minutes = 0.48 G/60

Its kinda crazy how close they are.

I think you have to give the edge to Sleppy.

Also,

To give an idea of what G/60 rates look like.

Last year 369 forwards played at least 400 minutes in the NHL.

1.00 G/60 was a tie for 41st
    0.75 G/60 was a tie for 114th
    0.50 G/60 was a tie for 248th
    0.25 G/60 was 345th (Mark Letestu of all people)

The median was 0.63/60

ZACK KASSIAN0.42
    ANTON SLEPYSHEV0.29
    IIRO PAKARINEN0.00
    JUSSI JOKINEN0.00
    KAILER YAMAMOTO0.00

Also,

Getting rid of your 1st, 4th, 6th and 7th best forwards in 5v5 GF/60 may not be advisable, but I’m not a NHL GM.

Time to adapt an old sports quote to the Oilers. “If he can’t do it without McDavid, he can’t do it”. Fire them both into the sun. Everything I said in the spring regarding these two players in a prime time role stands.

8. Munny says:

Melvis:
    Slip Kid (It’s a hard, hard world)…part trois. What was Part Deux?

I’m going to steal a line here from one of my favourite Abstract Expressionist artists.

” I am a slipping glimpser.”Courtesy of Willem de Kooning. As for“freeing Sleppy glimpses”, I’m going to have to hold my water here, even though the news has me cracking a pinot. And that brings me to this tale on this off day.

I had to front run, arrange for the secondary backline, (the mainline was otherwise engaged on the east coast side of a major tour), and otherwise glad hand my way around that backstage warren and the greenroom at NBC when Johnny was running the Tonight Show.

Things remembered…the earlly afternoon, post lunch run through. Jeff Porcaro saunters in, David Paich, and David Hungate in tow. Ovid Stevens was on the guitar that day.Ed Shaunessy stands up behind his kit, and graciously submits the arabesque bow in Porcaro’s direction. Jeff grins his big, shit eating grin, spewingcharisma all over the place. Then he rides that mofo orchestra like a 2k an hour hooker riding a player from The Player. That was really something.

Then Susan St James walks in.

Now I had seen her on the tube when I was a kid… in the Name of the Game, and Mcmillan and Wife, and had a bit of crush. Up close and personal, even more so. So, of course, I was game for a bit of the flirt and come on. You only live once. And she was gracious and charming.

Then her partner walks in with the two kids in tow. Fuuuck. I didn’t know. Wiff. Strike one.

Other than standing behind the curtain and seeing the little red light on a Fender blink off. A WTF,heart attack moment…followed by a glimpse of glitter on the floor. Tinfoil in place of a breaker. I’m going to nail Studio Instrument Rentals to the wall, unless some back stabbing tactician/techy closer to home is aiming for my job.

Although there’s a ninety minute delay allowing for screwups before the feed goes to the east coast, it’s a live audience and Johnny hates bullshit. And I’m accountable. I manage to jam that thingy back in as the curtain opens. Phew! Foul ball.

BRAVA!

*Tosses rose on stage*

9. Scungilli Slushy says:

Mark Spector‏Verified account
    @SportsnetSpec
    Following Following @SportsnetSpec
    Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli informed all NHL teams by email today of Anton Slepyshev’s availabilty in a trade. The winger recently became waiver eligible.

I’m sure he’ll get value the way they used Slep to prep for a trade.

10. Munny says:

Bag of Pucks:
    One of the points that I raised earlier this week is how Chiarelli is derided for value on trade returns, while MacLellan is seemingly given a free pass for not making the most of the talent he’s provided.

Eberle, Pouliot, Hendricks fail to flourish with TMac, and then fit with their new teams? We anticipate players like Strome, Jokinen or Cammaleri addressing core roster needs, and again the HC fails to find a fit for the puzzle piece?

So, while it is entirely possibly that Chiarelli is selling too low on players and/or he’s getting cents back on the dollar, it is also conceivable that the HC is tanking the value of outgoing assets while failing to appreciate the value of incoming assets. Again, Rutherford magically appears to be a far more capable GM after he replaces Johnston with Sullivan. This speaks to the demonstrable impact the HC has in terms of maximizing the roster he’s provided. Perhaps our greatest failing as a community is overrating the impact of the GM whilst underrating the impact of the HC?

On the subject of trade return, I’ve often felt Chiarelli’s key issue as a GM is his contract and salary cap management and I wonder if that isn’t the larger issue as opposed to any alleged failings he has a talent evaluator? First, based on his draftingrecord and the fact he made his bones as an assistant GM, I think Chiarelli recognizes talent, both emerging and experienced.

As fans, we don’t like the returns on the Hall and Eberle trades, but what we’re not privy to is the internal discussions on salary structure for the org longterm. We as fans reasonably feel that there’s a way to pay all of McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall and Eberle under the cap. But what if Katz doesn’t feel that way? Once they drafted Connor, they knew he was going to get the big bucks within 3 years. What if part of the internal mandate is, we’re resetting the core now as Connor and Leon and that means moving out some money to pay them. Teams are never going to admit to fans when moves are predicated on paring salary, and while it doesn’t make the Hall or Eberle trades anymore palatable, it would certainly help to explain why the organization would signoff on the trades in question. Organizations are funny beasts this way. Their could definitely have been some residual resentment that Hall and Eberle were both pay significant monies that never truly translated into the desired returns (i.e. wins) for the team. I don’t think that’s fair, but I’ve been around enough rich folks to know how they think.

There was a lot of rhetoric around the time of the McDavid and Leon contracts of Chiarelli’s worry over offer sheets. Most of it seems unfounded in hindsight, but I do think these are the things that keep GMs up at night. You start thinking about Nurse’s next contract or what happens as Nuge approaches UFA, or what if JP absolutely blows up in his second season as a pro? Chiarelli does not want to be caught in a situation where he has too many dollars pay out and not enough flexibility to negotiate. While we’re beating him up over not getting enough for Hall and Ebs, maybe we should consider the possibility that it isn’t talent evaluation that’s driving these returns, but rather a concerted effort to dump salary as it suits the overall roadmap?

The missing post for y’all, if you don’t feel like flipping pages.

11. jtblack says:

Woodguy v2.0,

“Getting rid of your 1st, 4th, 6th and 7th best forwards in 5v5 GF/60 may not be advisable, but I’m not a NHL GM”

Are we not one of the best 5×5 teams in terms of scoring?

PP and PK are killing us. With that said, the 5×5 could be better, but I actually think the Oilers are OK 5×5

12. Munny says:

Mark Spector‏Verified account
    @SportsnetSpec
    Following Following @SportsnetSpec

This is curious, perhaps even alarming…

1. I thought the plan was to dump UFAs at the deadline? Who’s going to play if Sleppy is also gone?

2. Does this mean Strome or Maroon are likely to be re-signed?

3. Does this mean Rattie is going to get a shot?

13. Melvis says:

Con’d…

You walk out of this eventful thing at NBC, into the parking lot, blinking into the harsh glare of the Socal sun descending in the west. It’s a bit unnerving. A bit like a casino. No daylight permeated the entire day. One assumes it’s now night time. Hell, it’s only five, six o’clock. I go home, check my messages. That Girl…the go to answering service of the day. I call Fredye…the travel agent to the stars.

“Never spent any time at the Sunset Riot House. No reason to. Can you book me a room for a catnap before that redeye back to NYC and Boston?

“Sure, no problem…you want the treatment at the bar and whatnot/”

“Nah, I’m just going to get a bite and a drink, but please get me a car and a driver for the evening.”

So now I’m in the bar at the Hyatt on Sunset. It’s a quiet early evening, belying it’s reputation for rock’n’ roll’ hijinks. I order a club sandwich and a beer, surveying the room. There are fewer than half a dozen people in the room, althought the guy sitting at the bar looks vaguely familiar. Then there’s this babe, this beauty LA vixen a couple of tables over. Solo. I can’t help myself.

I smile, She smiles back. More smiles. I send her a drink. She nods and smiles. I notice the guy at the bar smiling. Everybody’s fucking smiling.

Until the the suit walks in. Quick confab with the babe. They walk out together. She throws me another over the shoulder shrug and smile. The dude at the bar laughs out loud. How the hell was I supposed to know she was a 2k a night hooker? Strike two. It’s LA kid….there’s a hole out in the Valley, they’re digging just for me.

He sends me a double bourbon and waves me over ..the guy at the bar.

He’s James Bond. One of them anyway. This is the one off Aussie. On Her Majerty’s Secret Service. George Lazenby.

Here’s the thing. He needs a shoulder. He’s practically crying in his drink. He can’t explain his short lived tenure with the Bond thing anymore than Chiarelli can explain his.

It gets worse. The second kick at the can resulted in a five picture deal co-starring Bruce Lee. And Bruce Lee just up and croaked on the deal. Sayonara George and second kick at the can.

He invites me to his room . He’s got a bottle up there. I decline, begging off with my gig and redeye flight thing. Hmmm… that was a bit weird.It’s nervous making but maybe he’s just cheap.

So after a nap, I limo to Lax. Check my bagss through the skycap. $40 tip. I’m generous, but then no lost bags ever. And he calls an airline supervisor. She walks me to a half hidden first class lounge for a couple of “free” pops, before preboarding me and the upgrade to first class.

One of the flight attendants graces me with name and phone number. These things never work out. Different spaces, different places.

So now I’m finally back in Boston…via NYC. It’s a one week break in a tour, midwinter. The band is on a yacht in the Carib. I’m taking care of business at the downtown Sheraton.

I have to fire a “lush is alway a lush” trucker who can’t make a stage call on time, never mind wrecking a rig outside Charleston, after stealing a pirate load in Boston, destination unknown. I had sent him to Akron to exchange a Ryder regular for a low boy, air ride, hydraulic tail lift.

Third strike man. You’rer out. I might sound glib, but that’s never easy when a grown man twice your age starts crying in front of you.

You slipped man…it’s a hard, hard world.

But then, so did I. After all, I hired him.

14. Munny says:

Flames strike on the first shift of the game in TB.

15. jtblack says:

Scungilli Slushy,

Remeber the Peter Principle *** Buy High; Sell Low

16. Scungilli Slushy says:

Snowman:
    Slepyshev and Cagguila are both tweeners in my opinion. Both have wheels, both have some skill, both are inconsistent. Neither has a complete tool box and in my opinion neither has better than an average hockey IQ.

I have time for both in the bottom 6. I have time for neither in the top 6.

Having said that, why do the Oilers even bother with Russians? They get half the opportunity.

This is another data point on Chiarelli having no idea how to evaluate NHL talent or this team.

Slepyshev and Cagguila both considered top 9 options at the start of the year. Neither can crack the line up on a bad team consistently. For a team that rewarded playoff success they sure forgot who had success pretty quickly.

Run this lineup for a few games? Definitely not going to happen but I’m not sure why…

91-97-98
    27-29-58
    19-93-18 (wouldn’t this be a nice line with Eberle…salt meet wound)
    16-55-44

How they have never ran those lines is beyond me. Give Mcdavid the worst wingers. He’ll still own play. Drai’s line worked against the ducks and Nuge and Maroon should work ok together. Seriously though having Eberle on that Nuge line would be a killer.

Ah well… Sail on Slepy. Enjoy your time with Nashville or Tampa and your subsequent multiple Stanley cups.

I’ve said it for years, the Oilers drafting ‘Russians’ is basically wasting picks because they won’t use them. The cultural background is too different and I don’t think the team can cope with it. Fins, Scandies and Euros fit just fine. It was also true of small players at one time.

17. Melvis says:

Munny,

Thank Gord it wasn’t your underwear;-)

Bag of Pucks:

In this, you and I are in direct alignment now, no?

Pretty much.

19. Scungilli Slushy says:

CrazyCoach: I love Bear.I’m the president of h is fan club, but I would let him stay in Bakersfield.Let him gain the minutes down on the farm and recover from that concussion.

Hey Coach. I am curious as to what you see the team needing to become better.

20. Dicky94 says:

Munny,

I’m thinking they want Pak back.

I am not saying that this would work. But this is what I would like to see.

Nugent-Hopkins, McDavid, Puljujarvi
    Maroon, Draisaitl, Slepyshev
    Lucic, Strome, Cammarleri
    Khaira, Letestu, Kassian.

22. OriginalPouzar says:

That’s not a poorly put together lineup.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Khaira getting the 4C as a trial.

23. Dicky94 says:

godot10,

I wonder if they’ll showcase Slepy for the last two games. I myself don’t want to see him go. There is really no need yet and I’m sure they will regret it.

24. Munny says:

Bolts score on first shift of 2nd period. 1-1

25. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Melvis,

Goddamn I need to buy you some whiskey and sit and ask a bunch of questions.

26. Woodguy v2.0 says:

jtblack,

Are we not one of the best 5×5 teams in terms of scoring?

EDM is currently 22nd in the NHL in GF/60 with 2.25

Last year they were 8th with 2.48/60

Median team in the NHL played 3975 min 5v5 so the difference between 2.25 and 2.48 over a season is ~15 goals.

27. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

So this management team decides to wait until Slepy played his way past waiver eligibility to then offer him to the League, via email, lessening the potential return.

And you expect me to just accept that these guys have a good master plan?

Some may say it’s just a little thing. But if you don’t have attention to detail and can’t get the little things right I don’t trust you to do the big things.

Also this team is not a top 5 5v5 team.

What bothers me is spinning this season as a growth year and thus it is ok. Yeah it could be a growth year. When many predicted a step back due to the moves over the summer certain posters decided to deride people who had this view and tell them they were wrong and dumb over and over. Now half a season later some of these people are spinning this away.

Thing is, other than Yeti we were all wrong. Even those who predicted a step back did not predict stepping in a mine shaft. It’s no longer just the PK or goaltending. This team has scored 4 goals in 6 games. Can we at least admit that secondary scoring is an issue now? Can we? No. We will just ignore that.

I am not laying this all on Chia. What ails this organization is a team effort. But this team continues to make baffling moves. This Slepy news is the latest in a long line of ???

If that is what you are going to do might as well have tried out Duclair. Or at least traded Slepy while he had waiver eligibility. Then at least a team could have given him AHL minutes to see what he had.

It just boggles the mind.

28. Bag of Pucks says:

K, this made me laugh. Would never expect anyone to go back to read an old post. Just glad you resurrected it. Thanks too Munny!

29. texmex says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Slepy has been on the market for a while. It was discussed on HNIC at least a month ago where Friedman said chia has let other GM’s know he is available. In fact I suspect this is why he has played very little (i.e waiver eligibility).

30. texmex says:

3-1 flames after 2

31. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

StixMalone:
    What is he going to get for him? All the GM’s know he’s available now. Is this how we do trades now just send out a generic e-mail????

No, I don’t believe this is how GM’s do trades. Not even close. Exactly the opposite. This is a job that requires developing close personal relationships with 30 of your peers. Peter has been in the game a long time and knows this. Mass e-mail is not the proper vehicle.

Two things come to mind.

1) Trade has to happen very fast for some unknown reason and the normal process is just too slow.

2) Could very well be completely wrong but this sounds like coach or management or both going to the GM and saying “Get rid of this guy by the deadline, I have no use for him”. GM is thinking “well hell, another guy in the one way dog house. I am really getting tired of this shit. We don’t have enough skill at the wing as is and we still don’t know what we have in this guy.” So GM spends no time working the phones. He takes 5 minutes to put out the e-mail knowing that the GMs receiving it are going to go WTF!?, chuckle for a bit about the plight of being a GM in Edmonton and offer scraps if they offer anything at all. Basically our GMs way of complying with the trade demand while at the same time saying “FUCK YOU” to the coach.

The backup goalie acquisition seemed odd at the time as well. These two guys just don’t seem to be on the same page, irrespective of what we are being told. They are not even on the same book. The two books are in different languages.

A few more losses and something is going to explode. That may be a good thing because I can’t see going into next season with both of these guys.

32. OmJo says:

Yakupov, Yakimov, and Slepyshev. 0 for 3 when it come to developing Russian players. Maybe 0 for 4 considering Paigin.

Some team will trade magic beans for Slepyshev and play him in their top 9 and watch as he *shockingly* shows himself to be an NHL player. Just not an NHL player that TMac likes, I guess.

The Oilers continue to be the development team for the rest of the league. Lol.

33. jtblack says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I digress. I guess when you usually score 1 or less, its hard to stack up well in any Category ….

34. jtblack says:

My co worker has followed the Oil around in the road trip … Was on her husbands bucket list.

I was thinking ….. what shitty Luck ….Trip not going so well … But Nashvulle and VGS offer other things to do after the Oilers Lose …

35. Bag of Pucks says:

Woodguy v2.0,

You’d be hard pressed to find anyone on this board advocating resigning Hendricks, resigning Pitlick was not an option given the injury history vs what DAL offered, and MacLellan was dropping Pouliot down the depth chart. So you’re down to Mr. playoff 0 for $6mil.

This is exactly what I’m talking about. You’re cherry picking data with the full benefit of hindsight to drive a narrative.

36. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

OmJo:

The Oilers continue to be the development team for the rest of the league. Lol.

Unfortunate but true.

Will be interesting to see if we draft any Russians again this year.

37. jtblack says:

Bag of Pucks,

I actually agree with the 1st part of your thread. The 1st 3 players were gonzo …

“secondly, you act like the salary cap doesn’t exist and Chiarelli didn’t have to free up monies for the other signings. Not the complete picture.”

** The Cap does exist. How much space do the Oilers have this year? A LOT
    Even nxt yr they will be fine. Ebs trade could have waited OR PC should have got help on 1 yr deals ….

It can be argued PC had actually wasted Cap space …. some savvy GMs are up against the Cap (2 or 3 Cups later) … They would have taken the $4, $8 or $10 Mil PC has in Cap space and made their team better Full Stop.

38. OmJo says:

Jethro Tull,

OriginalPouzar,

I was under the impression Strome was brought in to be McDavid’s new RW (ie replace Eberle who – if Draisaitl played C would be McDavid’s RW) but as I mentioned in a reply to Kinger I can see that he was rather brought in to be a Nuge replacement – still a stupid idea.

My point was, what from I remember of the narrative of bringing Strome in, he was going to be given a shot on McDavid’s RW (I could be wrong – definitely wouldn’t be the first time) and for whatever reason he’s only spent 15 regular season minutes in that position.

I’m not saying gift him those minutes with Connor. It would have been more justified if done earlier in the season, when there was hype over him finding his game here. Now it’ll likely never happen. Oh well.

39. OmJo says:

Decidedly Skeptical Fan,

And let’s hope that Maksimov’s Canadian citizenship can make him immune to the IMO ridiculous double standards this team seems to have with Russian players where if they aren’t scoring at a PPG and perfect defensively they get demoted directly to the 4th line.

40. Thinker says:

If Slepyshev wanted to play hockey for the Oilers, he shouldn’t have been born russian. That said, his and Caggiula’s scoring without an elite center is so small, that we engineers would just call it 0.

41. jtblack says:

OmJo,

The funny thing about Strome is that He has said he prefers to play Center. Yet the Oilers are trying to cram him on right-wing most of the time.

The same thing happened to Brayden Schenn in Philadelphia ; and now look at what he’s doing as a center, where he wants to play, in St Louis.

I am not comparing the two players, clearly Schenn is better. but what I am saying is why don’t teams listen to what their players say and give them the best chance to flourish. Play them where they are most comfortable.

How is Drouin doing as a centerman in Montreal? He’s a winger.

42. OmJo says:

Bag of Pucks: Secondly, you act like the salary cap doesn’t exist and Chiarelli didn’t have to free up monies for the other signings. Not the complete picture.

If General Disappointment cared one iota about salary cap management he wouldn’t have given Russell $4 million dollars and an NMC for the next 4 years and would have signed Draisaitl to a similar contract Chiarelli’s successor in Boston gave Pastrnak.

Not to mention giving a 28 year old Milan Lucic $6M for 7 years.

Great cap management.

43. OriginalPouzar says:

OmJo:

The Oilers continue to be the development team for the rest of the league. Lol.

A couple of third round picks and a seventh round pick.

The chances that any of those players became every day NHL players was quite low.

I believe that Slep has actually outperformed his draft day pedigree with his 70 NHL games.

Samorukov will make up for all of them.

44. OmJo says:

jtblack,

Oh that’s easy! Strome doesn’t know more than actual hockey people, he’s never played the game at a pro level and never won a cup.

Heh.

45. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar,

Granted Yakimov wasn’t the best skater and Yakupov was Eakin’d. Slepyshev has the tools to be a useful player in this league, had an unfortunate start to the season. I don’t think they ever planned for him to be part of the future.

If Drakes’ last name was Caggulov he’d probably be in the same boat.

Best of luck to Samorukov. If he doesn’t play like Lidstrom from day one I don’t like his chances.

46. HT Joe says:

OmJo: If Drakes’ last name was Caggulov he’d probably be in the same boat.

Too bad Anton’s last name wasn’t Slepyccillo…

47. digger50 says:

Bag of Pucks: Reply)

No to Hall for Larson and Lucic, i don’t see it that way.

However I truly agree on the coach/GM relationship and how it has influenced moves. I’m seeing more and more of Todd’s refusal to play someone driving the GM to a trade. Sleppy another example.

48. OmJo says:

HT Joe: Too bad Anton’s last name wasn’t Slepyccillo…

I was thinking Sleypton. Antonio Slepyton III.

Now THAT player gets gifted ice time with McDavid. Or rather, McDavid gets gifted ice time with him.

49. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Bag of Pucks,

Pitlick said that he was just hoping for a one way contract.

EDM never offered him anything.

If Chia offers him 1 x 700K he probably takes it before July 1st.

3 x $1MM was like winning the lottery for him.

He has 7 5v5 goals in 457min for 0.92/60 while playing on a checking line for DAL.

Maybe Nill won the lottery or at least made a very smart bet.

Also,

No one is suggesting re-signing Hendricks and if you get rid of Pouliot, who had the 2nd most “McDavid not on the ice” 5v5 goals last year, perhaps a Master Plan would include replacing those goals.

50. OriginalPouzar says:

Wells made 44 stops tonight and was named first star as the Petes beat the Storm 4-2.

51. OmJo says:

Bag of Pucks,

TMac definitey isn’t helping things. He seems to have obvious favourites on this team and has no second thought to playing them rather than icing the best lineup. I’ve seen a few hockey people saying TMac shouldn’t be fired because General Disappointment gave him a bad team. That ignores the fact that TMac has made some boneheaded decisions and comes off as extremely stubborn and arrogant.

But he wouldn’t trade those players without the blessing of the coach, right? I picture the GM-coach relationship as the coach telling the coach what he needs, and the GM going out to get it. Now, if they aren’t communicating with each other then we have a much bigger problem on our hands – a very ‘Oiler’ problem IMO.

52. digger50 says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):

And you expect me to just accept that these guys have a good master plan?

Also this team is not a top 5 5v5 team.

What bothers me is spinning this season as a growth year and thus it is ok. Yeah it could be a growth year. When many predicted a step back due to the moves over the summer certain posters decided to deride people who had this view and tell them they were wrong and dumb over and over.Now half a season later some of these people are spinning this away.

I am not laying this all on Chia. What ails this organization is a team effort.But this team continues to make baffling moves. This Slepy news is the latest in a long line of ???

It just boggles the mind.

My lord this is so true.

How could they play him 1 game into needing waivers and then send out that e mail??

53. HT Joe says:

OmJo: I was thinking Sleypton. Antonio Slepyton III.

Oooh, Antonio… Chia would trade for someone named Antonio…

54. Woodguy v2.0 says:

That would have him tied for 4th in all situation goals on EDM and 5th in 5v5 goals.

55. OmJo says:

HT Joe,

Too bad Duclair’s first name is just Anthony lol

56. HT Joe says:

digger50: This team has scored 4 goals in 6 games. Can we at least admit that secondary scoring is an issue now?

We should be able to admit now that primary, secondary, and tertiary scoring are all issues now…

57. OmJo says:

Woodguy v2.0:

And we’re paying him more than Buffalo is to do it.

#BecauseOilers

58. HT Joe says:

OmJo:
    HT Joe,

Too bad Duclair’s first name is Anthony lol

It’s a damn shame he didn’t go by “Tony”. He’d be an Oiler today… ha!

59. OmJo says:

Before landing in TMac’s doghouse, Pouliot was a [pro-rated] 50pt, 20 goal player here. Solid numbers for a 2LW.

TMac did a number on him in year #2.

60. HT Joe says:

Woodguy v2.0: You act like EDM doesn’t have $8MM in cap space. Could fit Eberle and Pitlick in there easy. Subtract Strome’s cap hit and you can pay all the bonuses that get hit.

Yeah, about any bonuses this year…Connor’s about to slip out of the top 10 for points, and Draisatl is trending well behind last year. Are any of the Oilers going to get any performance bonuses this year?

*EDIT* Draisatl is currently 51st in the league for points… I don’t know, but I doubt there’s bonus money for him there.

61. OmJo says:

Woodguy v2.0:

And now we all get a 25% off coupon for Buffalo Moe’s!!!

Thanks, Pouliot!

62. OmJo says:

HT Joe,

Connor is about to go double super nova here soon, and Draisaitl is on his RW, so… probably.

63. jtblack says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Pouliot leaving is on TMac … not PC ..

You might be noticing a pattern where T-Mac can’t find a use for players but when they go to another team they quickly seem to be useful

64. HT Joe says:

OmJo:
    HT Joe,

Connor is about to go double super nova here soon…

I bet Chia looks in the mirror and tells himself that again and again, immediately before picking up the phone to make a trade.

Just kidding… I’m pretending Chia still phones GM’s about trades. Ha!

Bag of Pucks:
    Woodguy v2.0,

There is no risk (except a contract one of the 50 contract limit) against the cap signing a 4th liner like Pitlick to a multiple year contract at one million dollars per season. That contract could be buried in the minors without impacting the cap. Rich teams can take the risk of signing Pitlick for 3 years at $1 million.

On the other hand, there is risk in Kassian’s contract.

66. HT Joe says:

Woodguy v2.0: Apropos of nothing in particular, Pouliot scores his 9th all situation goal/6th 5v5 goal tonight.

Hilariously, Pouliot now has as many goals as Lucic and Maroon.

67. OmJo says:

HT Joe,

I’ve been saying the Oilers need to take away his phone and you know what, I think they actually did lol!

But Chiarelli, being the devious bastard he is, found a way to still make bad trades. Darn.

HT Joe: Hilariously, Pouliot now has as many goals as Lucic and Maroon.

Without playing with McDavid, and probably very few minutes with Eichel.

69. HT Joe says:

digger50: What bothers me is spinning this season as a growth year and thus it is ok. Yeah it could be a growth year.

Are fans not tired of “growth years”?! 10 of the last 11 years were “growth years”.

70. jtblack says:

Revisionist history might seem like cheating to some on here, but what time allows, is Clarity …

A revisionist could say the Gary Leeman – Doug Gilmour trade was won by the Leafs ….. They wouldnt be wrong just cause its in the past?

Cherry picking xan enhance arguments for sure, butbagain it doesnt mean the facts weren’t true.

IE: Cherry picking that Pouliot, Hall, Eberle and …. have more goals than any Oilers winger is a Fact …..

71. OmJo says:

Half way through the season and we haven’t seen Strome with McDavid, or the reunion of Lucic – Draisaitl – Slepyshev, but we’ve seen plenty of Caggiula. Lol.

72. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

jtblack:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Pouliot leaving is on TMac … not PC ..

You’ve noticed that too? Thought it was just me.

73. sliderule says:

Anything Pouliot does has to be looked at from motivation for a new contract.

He had a good final contract season with Rangers that Mact gave him a sweetheart contract for

He has the skill but there is a reason he has been punted multiple times.

A team that bites on that again is going to rue the day

74. OriginalPouzar says:

OmJo:
    Before landing in TMac’s doghouse, Pouliot was a 50pt, 20 goal player here. Solid numbers for a 2LW.

TMac did a number on him in year #2.

He topped out at 36 points as an Oiler – yes it was in an injury plagued season but every season as an Oiler for Pouliot was injury plagued.

75. OriginalPouzar says:

HT Joe: Yeah, about any bonuses this year…Connor’s about to slip out of the top 10 for points, and Draisatl is trending well behind last year.Are any of the Oilers going to get any performance bonuses this year?

This man is going to be a dominant offensive force in this league for the duration of his contract.

76. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar,

I’m talking pro-rated. 36 points in 55 games for example.

He went from a 50pt player to a 17 point player in the span of a season. A damn shame.

77. OriginalPouzar says:

OmJo:
    OriginalPouzar,

I’m talking pro-rated. 36 points in 55 games for example.

I understand that but the fact is he kept missing 30 games a year and was never a 50 point player with the Oilers.

78. OmJo says:

sliderule,

Okay, but he played better in his first two seasons here than he did in his contract year in New York. He had the best seasons of his career while here, minus the doghouse season of last year.

He’s not even playing amazing this season, but he’s playing good enough to be tied for first in winger scoring on this team – with no McDavid time at that. But those darn penalties.

79. JimmyV1965 says:

Just wondering. Am I the only one concerned that the Oil are about to trade a player they have utterly failed in terms of development?

I have no idea if Schleppy is good or not because he hasn’t played any hockey. In the last three years, he’s played 70 games in the NHL and 59 in the AHL. That’s just simply not enuf playing time for a mid round pick to develop.

How can you possibly know what kind of player this is? What I do know is he’s 6’2″ 220 lbs, a very good skater, with a good shot.

A really smart GM will be all over this trade. I’m not saying Schleppy is an NHL player. In fact, he probably isnt. But the cost will be peanuts. And if he does pan out, he could be ready after just one year of development time.

80. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar,

Fair enough, I added that those numbers are pro-rated in my original post.

We have two wingers who might pass 36 points this season, lol. In 82 games. And they both draw more penalties than him.

81. HT Joe says:

OriginalPouzar: Not related to the bonus angle but it should be noted that he’s 51st in points with, I believe, 3 PP points, missing a few weeks of the season and taking time to find his game after his injury and playing half the season with the likes of Khaira, Stome, Caggulia and Slep (Strome being the most established NHLer). His ES P/60 is quite spectacular given his linemates.

Ok, good points. I missed that critical context.

I guess my point was 2-fold. One was I don’t think he’s getting bonus money this year. Two, he is struggling. Chia even said recently that it looks like he’s under a lot of pressure due to the new contract (I’m sure that comment helped reduce the pressure *smacks forehead*).

I hope Draisatl bounces back to dominance (Note: I agree with you that he is playing relatively well all things considered). He was a lot of fun to cheer for in the playoffs last year.

But his contract is in place right now, and he is nowhere near a “dominant offensive force” this year. I hope he gets back there, but year 1 of 8 is getting burnt away quickly.

OriginalPouzar: …playing half the season with the likes of Khaira, Stome, Caggulia and Slep (Strome being the most established NHLer). His ES P/60 is quite spectacular given his linemates.”

I’m glad you wrote this, because its implications are haunting. Chia has pushed the team close to the cap, such that the team will be forced to play its centres with inexpensive wingers. If Draisatl is going to re-establish himself as a dominant offensive force in the league, he’s going to have to do it with inexpensive wingers like Khaira, Strome, Cags and Slepyshev.

*UPDATE* NHL.com says Draisatl is tied for 50th for points per game

82. OmJo says:

JimmyV1965,

Tobias Reider 2.0?

The new regime makes a lot of the same mistakes as the old regime.

“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.” – Mark Twain

83. JimmyV1965 says:

jtblack:
    My co worker has followed the Oil around in the road trip…Was on herhusbands bucket list.

I was in Nashville about this time last year. They saw a much better game than I did.

84. OriginalPouzar says:

What I do know is he’s 6’2″ 220 lbs, a very good skater, with a good shot.

Maybe the organization failed him in his development, I don’t know. What I do know is that he’s not shown the ability to grab a lineup spot and run with it. He can’t put together a stretch of consistently good hockey to force the coach to keep playing him.

85. JimmyV1965 says:

JimmyV1965:

I guess I missed a bunch of comments.

86. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar,

Do other teams give their young rookie wingers 2-3 games to “grab a lineup spot and run with it”? What has Caggiula done to “grab a lineup spot and run with it”?

The only two young wingers who’ve done that are Khaira and Puljujarvi. They were given opportunity.

Slepyshev, much like Sekera, was injured to start the season and missed training camp and preseason. Yet one was expected to come flying out of the gates to start the season and the other is (rightfully) excused for a slow start.

Yes, Sekera missed many more games than Slepyshev did. But Sekera is also a veteran, Sleypshev is a 23 year old with 70 games under his belt. Surely he should be given just a tiny bit of leeway for a slow start? He’s played 18 games this season, on and off, and with – I’m assuming – different linemates every few games. Should we be surprised he’s not playing as well? Is this a good way to develop players? I’m gonna say no and no. Same thing with LB, he plays once every 20 games and fans are surprised he looks rusty when given a start.

We would have been better off keeping him down in the AHL, so at least he can play games on a regular basis. The handling of Slepyshev has been one big cluster fuck this season and it’s frustrating to see this organization still doing this with young players.

87. JimmyV1965 says:

+1000

88. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar: So were Josh Green and Chad Kilger and he’s starting to remind me more and more of that type of player – lots of good attributes but it never comes together.

Maybe the organization failed him in his development, I don’t know.What I do know is that he’s not shown the ability to grab a lineup spot and run with it. He can’t put together a stretch of consistently good hockey to force the coach to keep playing him.

To be fair, I actually said it’s likely he doesn’t turn into an NHLer, but we really have no idea because simply haven’t developed him properly. That’s may issue.

89. OriginalPouzar says:

I won’t dispute that Drake has received more leash than Slepyshev and it hasn’t been earned.

Khaira, on the other hand, was treated very much like Slepy – in and out of the lineup. If he didn’t play well for a game or two he was healthy scratched. You know what Khaira did eventually? He took one of those opportunities and ran with it. He played some great games on the fourth line and produced and was rewarded with third line ice time and he produced and made a positive impact there.

Khaira is the perfect example – he actually had less opportunity than Slep as he never got to play above the fourth line until he forced the coach to give him more ice.

Khaira did was Slep has so far been unable to do.

Puljijarvi was given too many NHL games last year but his ice was cut with his inability to play an NHL game. He was eventually sent to the minors for the rest of the year. He had a “meh” camp this year and was sent to the minors. When he got a recall he started playing well and scoring goals right way.

Again, he did what Slep has not been able to do – take an opportunity and play well with it. Yes, he got a bit of a push up the lineup but he’s run with it. Slepy has recently received a few games up the lineup with Drai and done nothing.

I’m sorry but citing Khaira and Puljijarvi help my point a bit – they were in and out of the lineup but eventually ran with an opportunity.

90. JimmyV1965 says:

Maybe the Oilers should establish a model or plan for developing players. Draft +1 this happens. Draft +2 this happens etc. You could modify it for top picks of course, but it would create a more professional approach to development. Does anyone know if other teams do this?

91. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Khaira, on the other hand, was treated very much like Slepy – in and out of the lineup.If he didn’t play well for a game or two he was healthy scratched.You know what Khaira did eventually?He took one of those opportunities and ran with it. He played some great games on the fourth line and produced and was rewarded with third line ice time and he produced and made a positive impact there.

Khaira did was Slep has so far been unable to do.

Puljijarvi was given too many NHL games last year but his ice was cut with his inability to play an NHL game.He was eventually sent to the minors for the rest of the year.He had a “meh” camp this year and was sent to the minors.When he got a recall he started playing well and scoring goals right way.

Again, he did what Slep has not been able to do – take an opportunity and play well with it.Yes, he got a bit of a push up the lineup but he’s run with it.Slepy has recently received a few games up the lineup with Drai and done nothing.

Wow. There really is zero consistency in the way we develop players. This needs to change. Kids need to play play play.

92. GMB3 says:

russ99: Addition by subtraction.

I’ll have to find the tweet by one of the keyed in MSM, but it mentioned how both players were relied on by McLellan at the beginning of last season to show leadership for the young players, and both refused, and tried to keep playing their way. When you put a “A” on your sweater, selfishness shouldn’t be your top goal.

Also, it was mentioned that Pouliot was offered around the league a few times last season with no takers.

When you have a young impressionable core, keeping players who aren’t with the program for a few goals is a bad idea.

And yes we should have signed someone to replace some of those goal. LOL

Addition by subtraction? Have you looked at the standings?

93. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar,

The dfference? Puljujarvi and Khaira both had a training camp and preseason. They’ve had healthy seasons. Slepyshev hasn’t. He’s had brutal injury luck this season.

I’m not trying to belittle those two players. I cited them because my beef isn’t with them getting ice time in the top 9 – they’ve earned it and I didn’t to come off as ignoring that. To be fair, Puljujarvi was put on 1RW in his first game called up here – though he made the most of the opportunity. Khaira started from the bottom (ugh).

I just would have liked to have seen him get as much of a leash as Caggiula before letting him go in a trade because I think we’re going to regret trading him and this team has done enough regretful moves over the last two seasons. And this on again off again nonsensical way of developing players is frustrating enough as a fan, I can’t imagine it’s any better as the player. This is my main point. Young players need to play. If they aren’t given NHL time, send them to the AHL.

94. AsiaOil says:

The lack of patience with Slepy is baffling – but the team is back to baffling me a lot this season. He was great in the playoffs but hurt himself in the off-season, missed TC and early season (ankle) then hurt himself again (groin) after he got back. Throwing him on the scrap heap after that type of 40 game stint has the potential to be a Dubnyk-lite scenario. Especially with our lack of wing depth and even playing a converted dman instead of young developing players.

The decisions this team makes wrt coaching and management have become increasingly unstable since G7 of the playoffs after improving for 2 years. I have no idea what’s going on but something sure smells bad.

95. OmJo says:

JimmyV1965:
    Maybe the Oilers should establish a model or plan for developing players. Draft +1 this happens. Draft +2 this happens etc.You could modify it for top picks of course, but it would create a more professional approach to development. Does anyone know if other teams do this?

This!

Maybe Detroit does something like that? I’ve always held their development system in high esteem. Not sure how much it’s changed since then.

96. Ribs says:

I was rooting for Slepyshev, but the dude had to get more done this season than he did. Clear opportunities available to him and he just didn’t have the push. Oh well. Maybe his stars will align elsewhere.

97. OmJo says:

AsiaOil,

That’s because while most teams use Russian players as snipers and offensive forwards the Oilers use them as scapegoats.

98. GMB3 says:

Ribs:

99. GMB3 says:

OmJo:
    AsiaOil,

#gooditalianbloodlines

I really hope he gets an opportunity somewhere else and shoves it up out ass #becauseoilers

100. Ribs says:

GMB3: When I think of a clear opportunity I think of guys going to Vegas not getting shuttled up and down the lineup at the mercy of the Macblender

101. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Ribs: A lot of things have to go right for anyone to make it in this league. The guys who consistently make something of the opportunities they get are the ones that tend to go the furthest.

You mean like Oesterle this year? Or maybe you were thinking of Pitlick?

A lot of things have to go right for anyone to make it in this league. The guys who are properly developed and properly utilized are the ones that tend to go the furthest.

It just seems like the organization is fixated with the perceived shortcomings of a player and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Then the player goes somewhere else where the attitude is “Let’s see how we can best use this guy to help us win” and he has success. It doesn’t mean the guy becomes an All Star but he is a useful piece. We let go of too many useful pieces getting nothing in return. And then we wonder why we don’t have enough depth on value contracts.

102. Material pocession says:

Draisaitl is not on an ELC anymore. He doesn’t receive performance bonuses.

103. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Kinger_Oil.redux,

Kinger, my comment was not directed at you specifically. I am sorry if it came across that way.

I know you are disappointed by what has happened this year. We all are.

I do think this team has suffered from bad luck, bad special teams, bad goaltending and bad coaching. It also was, in my opinion, a worse lineup than last year–a team that ran McDavid and All Star Talbot to the playoffs last year that became even more top heavy this year.

The whole organization is to blame. When that happens, the GM and President of Hockey Ops has to take the lion’s share of responsibility. That is the nature of being a manager in any organization.

Most people are starting to accept that.

I don’t want yet another GM or coach either. I want these guys to succeed. But I don’t know what the plan is anymore. They have lost my confidence.

If you are saying that not adding pieces to compete this year after being a game away from the 3rd round last season, in the last year of McDavid’s ELC when things get that much tighter next year is the plan and the idea is to play the slow game what the hell was the Reinhart trade for? To speed up the timline of competing with McDavid, right? So after they failed there are you saying they decided to be gunshy now and slow play things?

When I see them gift Caggiula minutes he has not earned over Sleppy, when I see them burn a year of Jesse’s rookie deal with no explanation why, when I see that Drai’s second contract, with 5RFA years and only 3 UFA years break the bank (so much for the theory that burning a year on his rookie deal would be seen as a favour and lower the cost on the next deal), when I see TMac refusing to play LB until he has to, then LB craps the bed and Chia spends assets in a lost season to get Montoya, when I see the coach refusing to reunite his successful 2nd line from the playoffs last year in Lucic Drai and Slepy, and does not give Slepy the benefit of the doubt after missing camp with injury, then the GM sends an email to all teams shopping him 1 game after he crosses past the waiver threshold, when I see Chia saying no teams want to help him.

What I see is no fucking plan at all. And even in my past criticisms of Chia I only ever called him average or medicore and only cited his bad record in major trades. We have had MacT and Tambo and Lowe for so long that for us a mediocre GM seems like a godsend. But not anymore.

Many of us are frustrated, I am sure you are, too. I can understand if you cite bad luck and special teams. But 5 on 5 this team is no longer close to top 5 anymore either.

I am just amazed that there are people who would suggest this is the plan (of course process matters over results) but in this case I have lost sight of what the attemped process is.

They’ve lost me. The next few moves or lack thereof may help to clarify that.

All we can do is wait.

104. JD_Wry says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): All we can do is wait.

And be afraid. Very, very afraid:

Should have been a bridge deal but K Gretzky negotiated the deal as with the @jeberle_ /@strome18 trade.

That’s Ms Lane, talking about Drai’s contract.

If true, then the coming Gretz One Era is going to be horrawful.

If false, then it’s Chia trying to spread blame, and a sign of even more dysfunction and turmoil.

Maybe the next Oilers reality series should be called TurmOil… ?

105. OriginalPouzar says:

Treena cited as a legit source for information? Is that what this has come to?

Man, there is a lot of “feelings’ in some people about the team moving on from a former 3rd round pick who never really was able to get any traction in the league and has 5 NHL goals.

I can’t disagree on the “lack of opportunity” or handling but the player never forced the coaching staff to give him more (and consistent) ice. Others did in similar situations.

Lots of tools there but the history of the league is littered with players with a good set of skills who aren’t able to put it together.

Maybe he does find some traction as an every day player in another organization or maybe he continues to spin his wheels.

106. OriginalPouzar says:

I think the Oil might actually sweep this weekend’s games.

They played very well in NSH last game and were the better team for 40 minutes. Often a team starts to play better and loses some games they might have deserved to win before they end a losing streak.

On the other hand, maybe they only score 2 goals this week – I guess we’ll have to tune in to see.

Based on practice yesterday, the lines will be the same as the Pred game.

Go Oilers.

107. Professor Q says:

HT Joe: It’s a damn shame he didn’t go by “Tony”.He’d be an Oiler today…ha!

Tony Duclair is SUCH a Bond villain or Old Spice commercial name.

108. OriginalPouzar says:

At least the Oilers don’t have to play against the future rejuvenate superstar Anthony Duclair tonight.

Now seen as a new can’t-miss prospect and another fail by our GM/POHO to not buy low on this soon to be star.

I mean, he did have 20 goals early in his career (just like Ryan Strome had 50 points early in his career).

109. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

So Yost has an interesting graph in this article on the Senators

He looks at scoring by depth forwards (bottom 6) per 60 minutes. According to Mr. Yost league average G/60 for a depth forward is around 0.7

By this metric the Oilers are in 11th spot league wide

Seems to run counter to the Oilers depth scoring woes talk but maybe this is too simplistic of a metric to accurately explain what’s going on.

Someone smarter than I will need to chime in

110. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OmJo: And now we all get a 25% off coupon for Buffalo Moe’s!!!

Thanks, Pouliot!

That’s awesome.

“We’re going for wings and its on Peter!!”

111. Woodguy v2.0 says:

HT Joe: Hilariously, Pouliot now has as many goals as Lucic and Maroon.

Or conversely, if you’re an Oiler fan, “Sadly, Pouliot now has as many goals as Lucic and Maroon”

Man.

112. Woodguy v2.0 says:

godot10: There is no risk (except a contract one of the 50 contract limit) against the cap signing a 4th liner like Pitlick to a multiple year contract at one million dollars per season.That contract could be buried in the minors without impacting the cap.Rich teams can take the risk of signing Pitlick for 3 years at $1 million.

On the other hand, there is risk in Kassian’s contract.

Seeing as you can 100% bury contracts up to $950K in the AHL with no effect on the cap, the only risk is to the business side of OEG, not the hockey side.

In other words, signing Pilick for $950K or less was no risk at all.

113. Snowman says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    So Yost has an interesting graph in this article on the Senators

By this metric the Oilers are in 11th spot league wide

Someone smarter than I will need to chime in

Its not depth scoring. Its scoring from the wings thats helping kill the Oilers.

Yost himself sussed it out.

114. Woodguy v2.0 says:

sliderule:
    Anything Pouliot does has to be looked at from motivation for a new contract.

He had a good final contract season with Rangers thatMact gave him a sweetheart contract for

He has the skill but there is a reason he has been punted multiple times.

A team that bites on that again is going to rue the day

Which one of these is Lucic in a contract year as a King and which is Pouliot comfortable in his 2nd year of a 5 year deal as an Oiler?

This is from the 15/16 season (both players)

5v5

G/60
    A) 0.60
    B) 0.81

A/60
    A) 1.37
    B) 1.27

PTS/60
    A) 1.97
    B) 2.09

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    So Yost has an interesting graph in this article on the Senators

By this metric the Oilers are in 11th spot league wide

Someone smarter than I will need to chime in

Is he counting Nugent-Hopkins (or Draisaitl) as a bottom six player, since he is the third line centre?

116. OriginalPouzar says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    So Yost has an interesting graph in this article on the Senators

By this metric the Oilers are in 11th spot league wide

Someone smarter than I will need to chime in

The first month of the year had essentially no depth scoring but then there was a period where the fourth line was on fire and the third line was chipping in – there was a period where both Letestu and Kassian put up 6-8 points in a 10 game stretch (ball park numbers) and Khaira was chipping in, etc.

The Oilers have had wild swings – shut out a number of times but also put up 5 plus goals a number of times.

Its tough to get a good sense of the overall numbers when there are such wild swings.

117. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I get that we don’t use this forum to let fly on rumour and I’m not suggesting we do so but it seems highly likely that there were things behind the scenes that led to this player leaving no?

If not that’s cool and we can go on and keep re-hashing whatever works for folks.

118. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: Seeing as you can 100% bury contracts up to $950K in the AHL with noeffect on the cap, the only risk is to the business side of OEG, not the hockey side.

In other words, signing Pilick for $950K or less was no risk at all.

However, at the same time, a player that hasn’t been able to play more than 30 games a year on a consistent basis has not earned a 3 year contract even if the risk was low as far as cap hit (still a risk as far as the 50 contract limit).

Its an over pay on term. Not egregious due to the not cap hit risk but still an overpay on one of the three contract components (cap hit, term, trade protection).

119. frjohnk says:

OriginalPouzar: The Oilers have had periods of fantastic depth scoring and also periods with none.

Yup.
    First 20 games, 2 goals from the bottom 6 forwards with RNH and McDavid off the ice ( this is 5 on 5)

Then we had a bunch of games after that where everybody was scoring, some of the games where blow out games Montreal, Columbus, Vegas for example that pump up the bottom 6 numbers.

In the last half dozen games, bottom 6 scoring is like the first 20 games, nonexistent, but then again so is scoring from the whole team.

We need more consistent scoring that is spread out. While getting 4 goals from the bottom 6 in a 6-1 win and then 0 goals from them in the next 5 games may look decent overall but that type of scoirng does not help the team much in the whole picture.

120. Scungilli Slushy says:

jtblack:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Pouliot leaving is on TMac … not PC ..

Yes and it’s quite distressing. They are going through wingers at an alarming rate and the team is clearly suffering from it.

121. Scungilli Slushy says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!: Considering they would have rather bought him out rather than play the guy isn’t it at least perfectly rational to suggest that there was something else at play with Pouliot rather than on ice results alone?

There is enough background to suggest it does seem a pattern. He isn’t the only one.

122. Woodguy v2.0 says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Woodguy v2.0,

EDM has a long history of making decisions based on things other than winning hockey games.

They seem to want to tightly control the culture and always have.

You can tell that they are doing the right thing and that it’s working by their long history of being a competitive team that’s always in the mix to win the Cup.

123. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Lets take a quick peak at Pouliot’s contract history

Minnesota – one year deal (post ELC), $803,000
    Canadians – one year deal, $1.3 million
    Boston – one year deal, 1.1 million
    Tampa Bay – one year deal, 1.8 million
    NY Rangers – one year deal, 1.3 million
    Oilers – 5 year deal with a $2.2 million raise per year over any of his previous contracts

Hmm for 4th overall pick who bounces around from team to team on one year deals after his ELC suddenly given a giant payday from a rookie GM.

Smells like a “smartest man in the room” type of signing in hindsight.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

124. ArmchairGM says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Kinger_Oil.redux,

I know you are disappointed by what has happened this year. We all are.

I do think this team has suffered from bad luck, bad special teams, bad goaltending and bad coaching.It also was, in my opinion, a worse lineup than last year–a team that ran McDavid and All Star Talbot to the playoffs last year that became even more top heavy this year.

Most people are starting to accept that.

They’ve lost me. The next few moves or lack thereof may help to clarify that.

All we can do is wait.

Excellent post – well said, sir!

125. Woodguy v2.0 says:

SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo!:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Lets take a quick peak at Pouliot’s contract history

Minnesota – one year deal (post ELC), $803,000
    Canadians – one year deal, $1.3 million
    Boston – one year deal, 1.1 million
    Tampa Bay – one year deal, 1.8 million
    NY Rangers – one year deal, 1.3 million

Smells like a “smartest man in the room” type of signing in hindsight.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I understand your point and appreciate it.

I just don’t think it matters as much as everyone thinks.

You listen to stories from NHLers and there are lots of “this guy was a complete asshole, but a great player and I loved playing with him but wouldn’t piss on him if he was on fire today” type of comments.

Winning creates the best culture and people trying to create a good culture without the winning part are missing the most important part imo.

Also,

I’m on record saying it was a year too long when it was signed given his history.

« Older Comments