G46 2017-18: Oilers at Golden Knights

The Edmonton Oilers won a game—that’s a welcome respite from recent events—and it’s possible for creative writers to thread the needle when presenting playoff scenarios. I’m not going to do that because it would insult your intelligence. Let’s move on. It’s Tabernac Saturday and we’re on to Vegas.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

RED RUM, YEAR OVER YEAR

• January 2016: 2-2-2, goal differential -3 (6 points)
  • January 2017: 3-3-0, goal differential -3 (6 points)
  • January 2018: 2-4-0, goal differential -11 (4 points)

G7 in 2016 January was a 2-1 shootout win over the Calgary Flames and it was the same one year later I kid you not. Last night’s win in Arizona was a welcome breath of fresh air for fans but you can see how much has been lost. If the Oilers run the January table, they’re still so far from home.

AFTER 45, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 17-23-5, goal differential -26 (39 points)
  • Oilers 16-17: 23-15-7, goal differential +7 (53 points)
  • Oilers 17-18: 19-23-3, goal differential -22 (41 points)
G46 in 15-16 was a 2-1 shootout win over the Flames as above, and a year later it was a 3-1 win over the Coyotes. Edmonton could win its 20th game of the season tonight, and if the club continues on its current trek the final record would be something like 35-42-5, 75 points.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM JANUARY

• At home to: Los Angeles, Anaheim (Expected 0-1-1) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: Dallas, Chicago, Nashville, Arizona, Vegas (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 1-3-0)
  • At home to: Vancouver, Buffalo, Calgary (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 4-4-2, 10 points in 10 games
  • Current results: 2-4-0, four points in six games

After tonight the club gets a week off and we have the All-Star break and things will get a little loose. Vegas are fire at home, I don’t know that it’s reasonable to expect a point from this game (although I projected a point from this contest).

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• Klefbom-Benning went 19-12 in 17:28, 1-0 GF and 6-0 in HDSC’s (mostly with the McDavid line). I’m a big time fan of Oscar, he’s coming along now, 20 5×5 minutes and six shot attempts. This team will win if Klef rattles and hums, he solves a lot of problems. Pairing went 11-4 against Perlini-Stepan-Panik, which I take to be the Coyotes second line. Benning moved the puck well and hung in defensively.
  • Nurse-Larsson went 15-15 in 17:07, 2-1 in GF and 4-5 in HDSC’s. To my eye there was a little roaming both men, although they delivered a good possession number in the toughest minutes. Went 7-3 against Dvorak-Keller-Archibald, which I count as Arizona’s top line. Nurse ripped two pucks past their goaler, he has a bomb. I’m really enjoying the progression we’re seeing from this young man. Larsson is a player this old timey hockey fan appreciates a lot, he’s a rock and the back difficulties appear to be the lesser as days go down.
  • Sekera-Russell went 7-15 in 17:27 and a lot of that had to do with unnecessary turnovers, wonky passes and indecision. Pair was 0-0 in GF and 1-3 in HDSC’s, Russell made one play where he slowly moved up the ice, reached the neutral zone, waited until it was too late, made a poor pass and was enveloped by Coyotes. Sekera made some good plays, Russell looks betwixt and between at this time. Went 2-5 against Rieder-Fischer-Domi, and 1-6 against Perlini-Stepan-Panik. They’ll get killed tonight with the same decisions.
  • Cam Talbot stopped one of three and was pulled, something going on there. I wonder. Al Montoya stopped all 19.
  • NaturalStatTrick and NHL.com.

FORWARDS, LAST NIGHT

• Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl accounted for four points on the night. Went 19-13, 2-0 GF and 8-1 HDSC’s. The coach likes this line. McDavid, as predicted, set his jaw and slipped into ‘to hell with this noise’ mode at the end of the first and basically willed the Maroon goal. Leon was the most wobbly of Edmonton’s good players, making dangerous passes and not quite getting control of the puck in situations he would normally thrive in. No matter, this trio is vish.
  • Lucic-Nuge-Puljujarvi had an unusual evening. Lucic had four HDSC’s but pucks were sailing past him in a fashion similar to the childhood game ‘keepaway’ for much of the night. He took a damned silly penalty late, too. Nuge scored and skated miles, easily the most effective member of the unit. JP’s offense has left him since he’s been banished from McDavid island, this is a very poor outcome of the line shuffle. Line went 11-10, 0-0 GF and 2-0 HDSC’s together.
  • Khaira-Strome-Cammalleri went 4-10, 1-0 GF and 1-2  in the HDSC’s. Khaira was the best player on the line, but I liked Strome’s work, too. I think the former Islander may be turning a corner, welcome news if true. Cammalleri can still show flashes of that spectacular offensive ability, just not as much.
  • Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian were the one line I didn’t see good at all. Were 6-10, 0-1 GF and 1-4 HDSC’s. I liked Kassian on the PK and not much else. Caggiula doesn’t get to the part of the game where bat meets ball anymore.

GOALIE CONTROVERSY

I don’t think so, but Cam Talbot isn’t where he needs to be and Montoya is playing very well right now. I would run Talbot tonight, your mileage may vary.

Ten days ago Fussy Britches tweeted this out and it hit the hockey world this week as a rumor. One thing we always need to remember about these tidbits is that they may be incomplete. Darren Dreger suggested a few days ago that a “Taylor Hall for Cody Ceci” trade was discussed (one for one) but  logic and reason should lead us to challenge that notion. Peter Chiarelli has himself in a spot of bother all by his lonesome, no need for me to add to it with further eye roll emoticons.

Is Caggiula as a centrepiece for Hoffman reasonable? Per 82 games, Caggiula is scoring 10.6 goals and 23.9 points in the NHL. He is not a prospect (23 now) and his numbers suggest mid-level usage.

DRAKE CAGGIULA 2016-17

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.04 (11th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 4.25 (5th among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 47.8
  • Corsi Rel 5×5 %: -2.0
  • DFF Elite 5×5 %: 38.7
  • DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: -10.6 (23 percent of TOI v. elites)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 93 shots/7.5%
  • Boxcars: 60gp, 7-11-18
  • (All numbers via Puck IQStats.HockeyAnalysis.com and hockey-reference)

DRAKE CAGGIULA 2017-18

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.11 (12th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.10 in 19 minutes
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 49.35
  • Corsi Rel 5×5 %: -3.44
  • DFF Elite 5×5 %: unavailable
  • DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: unavailable
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 51 shots/9,8%
  • Boxcars: 33gp, 5-4-9
  • (All numbers via hockey-reference)

We know usage is a big deal for complementary players, Caggiula has been fortunate enough to play with Connor McDavid quite a bit during his 1.5 seasons with the Oilers.

• Caggiula scoring with McDavid 5×5: 137:40, 3-4-7 (3.06)
  • Caggiula scoring w/o McDavid 5×5:  867:09, 5-7-12 (0.83)

I’m not certain Drake Caggiula is going to have a long NHL career, will give credit for his establishing himself within the Oilers roster quickly. His speed makes him attractive to the coach, but for me Edmonton might be better off finding a burner with a little more offense and two-way acumen. Sometimes players look impressive without delivering the goods. Mr. Caggiula is neither prospect nor established, in my opinion.

645 Responses to "G46 2017-18: Oilers at Golden Knights"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Georges says:

On Barzal’s hockeydb page, it says he played two years for a WHL team (Seattle) after he was drafted by NYI in 2015.

Where would he have played in those two years if he had been drafted by the Oilers?

Asking because I don’t know.

Georges:

Asking because I don’t know.

WHL or Oilers.

3. Jethro Tull says:

Lowetide: Oilers. Because Oilers.

FIFY.

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Worst part is in watching the highlights Eberle took a big hit in order to make a gorgeous pass on his 4th assist. Why couldn’t he have done that here against Anaheim. What a bum!

5. Jethro Tull says:

OK, Predictions for first goal tonight.

I’m going with 3mins into the first. You know which team.

6. Professor Q says:

Jethro Tull:
    OK, Predictions for first goal tonight.

I’m going with 3mins into the first. You know which team.

Perron?

7. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

godot10: Eberle was always more willing to take a hit to make an offensive play than to take a hit to make a defensive play. That is a flaw the Oilers should have been able to live with until they could not afford him.

Godot, your sarcasm radar is broken.

8. JD_Wry says:

Jethro Tull: OK, Predictions for first goal tonight.

McDavid.

9. OilClog says:

Two top flight roster players and a 1st for OEL

Too bad we don’t have Eberle and Barzal now! Lol

10. OilClog says:

Mcdavid, potting 5 tonight on his birthday

11. Jethro Tull says:

My fellows, you misunderstand me; what time does Las Vegas score the game’s first goal?

12. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s EMERGENCY DEATH MARCH™ http://www.oilersdeathmarch.com is back with a brand new Contest! Winners get Prizes! It’s easy!

13. Jethro Tull says:

OilClog:
    Two top flight roster players and a 1st for OEL

Too bad we don’t have Eberle and Barzal now! Lol

Is this linked to anything, buddy? Or just some speculation as to price?

OEL could solve our goalie problem after last night’s save!

14. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OilClog:
    Two top flight roster players and a 1st for OEL

Too bad we don’t have Eberle and Barzal now! Lol

15. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

The Devil (never speak of him) also has 2 assists so far on let’s blow up the Oiler fanbase day.

Oi vey.

What we suffer through as fanatics.

16. hunter1909 says:

Whenever Kevin Lowe finds the Irish whiskey they’re trying to hide from him, he imagines Keegan captaining the Oilers one day.

Draft Day: “Keegan thinks Edmonton blows and we’re with him on this point” KLowe

Recently-ish: “Meet Keegan Lowe, the newest member of the Oilers team. He’s going to California for a while to polish his game” Oilers officials + Klowe’s recent official underlings

17. hunter1909 says:

And Finally: “With the departure of Connor McDavid, meet your team’s new captain…Keegan Lowe!!”…

18. hunter1909 says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Rumour has it he wants 8.5-9 on his next deal. Oilers can’t afford it because of Lussell.

Kevin Lowe’s won 6 Stanley Cups.

How many have you won?

19. Jethro Tull says:

hunter1909:

“We challenged Connor with an 8yr contract that we felt he didn’t have a chance to prove. So we’ve dealt him to Carolina for Justin Faulk. Just Justin Faulk.”

20. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

hunter1909: Kevin Lowe’s won 6 Stanley Cups.

How many have you won?

None, but I have won a set of steak knives.

21. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): None, but I have won a set of steak knives.

22. Scungilli Slushy says:

Time for a fireside chat with the GM.

23. JD_Wry says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): KLowe said everything was going according to the plan

I think the plan he was referring to, was to work in pro hockey and be buddies with a billionaire until he retires. So everything is still on track.

24. JD_Wry says:

I think Chara just killed a guy.

25. Woodguy v2.0 says:

This blog has always had strong opinions in the comments section, and will continue to do so as long as people happen by. I am always disappointed in posters when they shit on people as opposed to arguing the merits of their opinions but I can’t see anything above that I would delete. As for the reaction when the Reinhart trade went down, it was fast and it was negative.

There are some posts in that thread that didn’t age well:

BAG OF PUCKS says:
    June 26, 2015 at 6:57 pm
    Turned a #16 and a #33 into a #4OV and got the NYI to pay the dues on the development.

Chiarelli gets the best player in the deal, fills his biggest need with a player who fits the core age wise, and fast tracks the return on the draft picks.

If you don’t like this deal, you’re too enamoured with lottery tickets.

26. OilClog says:

Jethro Tull: Is this linked to anything, buddy? Or just some speculation as to price?

OEL could solve our goalie problem after last night’s save!

Don’t call me buddy, guy.

27. Melvis says:

Anybody watching Habs/Bruins?

I hope Danault turns out ok. That was awful. I don’t remember the last time a period got cut short.

28. Scungilli Slushy says:

JD_Wry:
    I think Chara just killed a guy.

It’s contractual to try to kill a Canadien twice in his contract and he wants another.

29. OilClog says:

30. JD_Wry says:

Scungilli Slushy,

Meanwhile Lucic has yet to fulfill his promise to Weise.

31. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Rom had it cold:

ROMULUS APOTHEOSIS says:
    June 26, 2015 at 7:57 pm

This is an unmitigated disaster

32. Scungilli Slushy says:

Woodguy v2.0: There are some posts in that thread that didn’t age well:

BAG OF PUCKS says:
    June 26, 2015 at 6:57 pm

If you don’t like this deal, you’re too enamoured with lottery tickets.

33. Woodguy v2.0 says:

JD_Wry:
    I think Chara just killed a guy.

Yeah he does that from time to time

34. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Hindsight, G was not opposed, asking to be given a reason it was bad. We all learn, sometimes.

Yeah, G missed it too.

BoP was such an asshole to those who hated it though.

G was more like “we don’t know”

BoP was like “I know, you’re idiots”

I could post more from that thread, but point is made.

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):

Oi vey.

What we suffer through as fanatics.

36. Pouzar says:

Those of you who were skeptical of Barzal because he didn’t score enough in Junior please stand up.

37. leadfarmer says:

Coyotes now shopping Hjalmarrson. Johnson and Hjalmarrson now available. Which one does Chia overpay for?

Reinhart was a fabulous junior, he really was. The mistake was, and it was a monster, not really knowing that he had struggled in the AHL first year pro. They traded for the guy who was so dominant in junior. Lordy.

Pouzar:

I had him No. 8

40. leadfarmer says:

Pouzar:

Well I didn’t expect him to score so well in the NHL especially as a rookie but expected him to pile up assists up the wazoo

41. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Woodguy v2.0: Yeah, G missed it too.

BoP was such an asshole to those who hated it though.

G was more like “we don’t know”

BoP was like “I know, you’re idiots”

I could post more from that thread, but point is made.

I think you’re being a bit harsh on BoP. Lord knows we butt heads sometimes but he never insults anyone directly.

Sure, he gave everyone a collective ‘you guys are wrong and you will see’ on that one, but we all have our ways. Some people are more blunt than others in delivery and he/she is one of them.

As for GMoney the challenge appears to be that maybe said numbers don’t translate as well when looking at the AHL.

I know I would wander over to Lighthouse Hockey a lot.

When I lived in NYC I went to 20 Rangers games a year and 10 Isles. Tavares was my favourite non-Oiler and I bought his jersey. I was bummed about the trade. So bummed I couldn’t post that day.

42. leadfarmer says:

The mistake was the NHL was moving away from these player types and once again we were behind and on top of that he was struggling.

43. Woodguy v2.0 says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

If I was being harsh I’d post all of his posts from that thread.

44. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Lowetide: I’ve cheered for Taylor Hall since his draft day, see no reason to stop now. Wonderful player, hope he wins Stanley..

LT, I think you know where I stand on this one. From a certain player’s arrival I had a feeling 4 would be the one to leave one day. And that made me sad. And that trade felt to me like betrayal did when I found I was being cheated on.

I have moved on in my life but I have never forgotten. I wish Hall a Stanley. But I wish McDavid a Stanley more.

If they trade Nuge though first I may not be around to see it

45. flyfish1168 says:

OilClog:
    Two top flight roster players and a 1st for OEL

Too bad we don’t have Eberle and Barzal now! Lol

With Ebs and Barzal playing so well together maybe Snow will trade Tavares to us. 😉

46. Professor Q says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): You know, which is probably as relevant for me to eat my steak that I bought for dinner tonight as winning cups as a player is to building a successful 12 year plan in running a hockey team. Remember as recently as 2016 KLowe said everything was going according to the plan. Rebuild 3.0 notwithstanding.

I’m sure you both have had plenty of missed steaks.

47. Jethro Tull says:

OilClog: Don’t call me buddy, guy.

Don’t call me guy, friend!

Thanks for the link!

48. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pouzar:

I may be among those, not sure.

I value goals in the CHL a lot when figuring out prospects.

49. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Woodguy v2.0,

We have all had those kinds of threads, though. He has been called out enough, I think.

I have been wrong so many times in my life I can’t judge.

50. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Professor Q: I’m sure you both have had plenty of missed steaks.

Indeed, nice dad joke, Professor!

51. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OilClog: Don’t call me buddy, guy.

Thanks for that!

Wow.

Sounds like Chayka asked about OEL staying and didn’t get the answer he wanted.

He’s right to sell him now to get more.

Can’t wait to see what he goes for.

52. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

flyfish1168: With Ebs and Barzal playing so well together maybe Snow will trade Tavares to us.😉

Based on salary he would slot in nicely as our 4th line centre

53. Woodguy v2.0 says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Woodguy v2.0,

I have been wrong so many times in my life I can’t judge.

I honestly didn’t know he’s been beat upon.

In this thread?

I haven’t really read this thread.

Been busy all day. Check in once in a while and react to what I saw but haven’t really read it.

54. Woodguy v2.0 says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Woodguy v2.0,

I have been wrong so many times in my life I can’t judge.

I’ve been wrong a lot too.

And if I was a total dink while being wrong I’d take the flak as it was earned.

55. OriginalPouzar says:

Dylan Wells stops 37 of 39 in a 5-2 Pete’s win.

56. Jethro Tull says:

Soooooo Drai, Nurse/Klef, the 1st rounder and ‘another not insignificant piece’.😂

57. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Woodguy v2.0,

I meant he was beat up in that thread. And even just reposting it just highlights and compounds his embarrassment.

We can all read it and see that. I think, you know, we have learned to be a little less dogmatic about our beliefs over the years.

Opinionated, yes, but willing to change said opinion when evidence presents itself.

For example, I thought Khaira would never bring enough offense to be anything other than a bottom 6 checker. Now, a little hot streak does not indicate to me top 6 upside, but I have to acknowledge that he now shows the potential to be more than a heavy checking plugger.

I consider that I could have been wrong about him. And if I forced my opinion down others’ throats I apologize.

58. OilClog says:

Nuge, Klef, and a 1st?

Drake, and a 4th? Lol

59. Woodguy v2.0 says:

leadfarmer:
    Woodguy v2.0,

This.It’s amazing how badly Peter Milbury messed that up.He almost ruined the McDavid draft for me.This was word for word my analysis after the trade.Boston came to the draft drunk and instead of running up and taking advantage of his previous teams stupidity he said oh yeah Hold my beer.Also there was no reason to throw in the second rounder. None
    I’m still waiting to hear that they weren’t all that high on Barzal cause they thought he was too much like Nuge.I’m sure that’s coming one day
    It just amazes me that casual fans can make better decisions than GMs

Your comments in the Griff trade thread were spot on sir.

*cap tip*

60. OilClog says:

As far as Apps go for your robot devices theScore app is top shelf.

61. Pescador says:

OilClog: The new GM has a tough conversation with Lussell, it’s new town or woodguy’s lawn.

KFL
    Scramble-Rim it-Block it,
    Repeat

62. flyfish1168 says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): He owes us that much. Plus I can bring out my jersey then. The colours are similar.

Based on salary he would slot in nicely as our 4th line centre

The way PC gives up talent and fleeced by Snow I don’t like our chances.

63. Jethro Tull says:

Woodguy v2.0: Your comments in the Griff trade thread were spot on sir.

*cap tip*

Rom’s was the top – succinct and effin’ boss.

64. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OilClog:
    Nuge, Klef, and a 1st?

Drake, and a 4th? Lol

OEL wins his TOI, plays half the game and turn 27 in the summer.

Waging he’d resign though.

Might need to do Drai instead of RNH to make cap room.

65. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Pescador: KFL
    Scramble-Rim it-Block it,
    Repeat

66. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Jethro Tull: Rom’s was the top – succinct and effin’ boss.

Yeah, Rom was/is always top shelf.

67. OilClog says:

Well in this instance, when you have Nuge, Mcdavid, and Leon drafted all as C’s.. there’s a high chance any org would not be looking at adding another high end C when they have needs in other places.

Not saying it’s right, but you can easily see how maybe they see that there wouldn’t be enough ice time to justify the draft need.

Barzal would never get the spot on the roster he has on the isles as the Oilers are currently constructed, and our coach isn’t Doug Weight. Weight is making Snow look like a thief. Damn it Dougie

68. OmJo says:

OilClog:
    Mcdavid, potting 5 tonight on his birthday

He scores 5 goals and Sobeys will filing for bankruptcy lol

69. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Woodguy v2.0: I think I *might* do RNH, Klef and a first as long as it was protected if it won the Dahlin lottery.

OEL wins his TOI, plays half the game and turn 27 in the summer.

Waging he’d resign though.

Might need to do Drai instead of RNH to make cap room.

2019 1st and a lesser pick maybe.
    I would also ask them to take one more contract back as well.

70. anjinsan says:

Barzal today: 2g 3a 5p
    Eberle 4a
    They suck, right?
    And Chiarelli is competent.

71. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OilClog,

Well, and yet they wanted Eriksson-Ek. Who is a lesser C than Barzal.

72. OmJo says:

Gret99zky,

Any specific threads of note you guys remember with this poster (DSF)? Wouldn’t mind going back in time and having a look at what you’re all talking about lol.

73. Pescador says:

Woodguy v2.0: Thanks for that!

Wow.

Sounds like Chayka asked about OEL staying and didn’t get the answer he wanted.

He’s right to sell him now to get more.

Can’t wait to see what he goes for.

Now?
    I thought deals like this are ‘too big’ for mid-season, summer?

74. OmJo says:

Remember folks, we gave a 2nd round pick for Chiarelli, too.

Salt in the wound.

75. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

anjinsan:
    Barzal today: 2g 3a 5p
    Eberle 4a
    They suck, right?
    And Chiarelli is competent.

Beauvillier, whom they snagged by moving up from 33 to 28: 2G 1A. Don’t forget if you are counting at home. But friend, that horse has been flogged to death in this threada dozen times already Haha

76. OilClog says:

If it’s Drai, I’d like to see only a 1st added on. If they ,it’s have a defender, they should be slipping in a young winger with OEL.

Refs are fucking the Raps, epic comeback

77. Pescador says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Haha Lussell was not a Japanese misspelling of Russell. It was a combination of Lucic and Russell so you are forgetting the missed passes and bonehead penalties.

Ok ok, I missed that comment somewhere,
    I like Kris F Lussell, especially if he’s fighting the puck & resetting all night long.
    If he’s blocking shots with his face & the Oil are winning it’s Rusty!!

78. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OilClog:
    Two top flight roster players and a 1st for OEL

Too bad we don’t have Eberle and Barzal now! Lol

Vicious.

79. Younger Oil says:

From what I remember, there was little to no talk about Barzal leading up to the draft, because he wasn’t relevant to the Oilers until draft day. He was viewed as a near lock for a Top 10 pick, no way we thought he would get to #16.

Also, there were a lot of people calling it out as an awful move right away (myself included), but the fan-base as a whole was pretty 50/50. Both sides had some hyperbole in their arguments, but it was pretty evenly split between “this is awful”, “this is great”, and “wait and see”. I remember getting lambasted for saying that it is impossible to make an argument that Reinhart was a significant upgrade over Marincin.

The source of much of my anger that day wasn’t about Reinhart specifically, but more that he was just as much of a lottery ticket as the #16 and #33. He certainly wasn’t trending upwards, and was lagging behind the progress of top 10 picks that develop into Top 4 defenders.

My issue was that we already had Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, and Davidson as promising LHD on their ELC’s, and it was no conclusive argument showing that Reinhart was tracking better than any of them. The best people could come up with was “intangibles”. The trade didn’t address any kind of need.

Was it fair to say off the bat that the trade was a disaster? Maybe not. However, it was fair to say that if they are trading away two very high picks in the deepest draft of the decade, on the day that draft picks have their highest value, they should be getting a piece back that you know is able to play NHL hockey. They didn’t, and have paid dearly for it.

A whole other issue that should be criticized more was the expansion draft. From what I remember, the picture of what the expansion draft would be like was pretty clear, and it was clear that Reinhart would need to be protected, and the #16 and #33 would not. That also has immense value.

This trade isn’t just part of the past, it is something that is very, very relevant concerning the present day Oilers. People were still mad about the trade last year when Barzal wasn’t playing for the Islanders and the Oilers were doing well.

80. Ryan says:

Woodguy v2.0: Yeah, Rom was/is always top shelf.

What happened to ROM? Is he on Twitter?

Gr8one won the thread for my money.

June 26, 2015 at 7:00 pm
    Unfuckingbelivable.
    Snowed by Garth Snow.
    In a completely different way this is a new Nadir.
    From such high hopes, picking McDavid was a no brainer, this is the real first insight as to what Chia’s master plan might look like and it sucks.
    We are going to be talking about this like Parise.
    This fucking REEKS of the Tambo/Klowe/MacT shitstorm…trading for an over rated ex-Oilking when we potentially could have had Barzal and Kylington with those picks.
    I’m vibrating I’m so disappointed

81. Pescador says:

OmJo:
    Remember folks, we gave a 2nd round pick for Chiarelli, too.

Salt in the wound.

Remind me who Boston selected with that pick?
    I’m feeling masochist

82. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pescador: Now?
    I thought deals like this are ‘too big’ for mid-season, summer?

The theory is trading him to a team that can use him for 2 playoff runs will pay more.

I think that line of thinking is correct.

83. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Pescador,

The guy has heart and balls of steel. No question about that. Sadly of late his game has further deteriorated. A lot of skating back into his own zone to attempt 75 foot passes.

84. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Ryan: What happened to ROM? Is he on Twitter?

Gr8one won the thread for my money.

June 26, 2015 at 7:00 pm
    Unfuckingbelivable.
    Snowed by Garth Snow.
    In a completely different way this is a new Nadir.
    We are going to be talking about this like Parise.
    I’m vibrating I’m so disappointed

Rom is around from time to time and is on twitter.

Made a good decision to step away from it.

85. OilClog says:

The Raps are the Oilers of the NBA, refs fucking them in unreal ways. Down 1 under a minute to go, were down by almost 40! At one point lol

86. JD_Wry says:

OmJo: Remember folks, we gave a 2nd round pick for Chiarelli, too.

It’s the price you pay.

87. Wilde says:

I’ll get one more in before the game starts.

Maroon – for – Ho – Sang

Clap, clap, clapclapclap

88. JD_Wry says:

I’m in Vegas, sitting in my daughter’s condo watching an illegal stream.

Question: What tier of fan am I, on the KLowe-meter?

89. Pouzar says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    OilClog,

Well, and yet they wanted Eriksson-Ek. Who is a lesser C than Barzal.

This is the bigger story.

90. OriginalPouzar says:

The Pats are up 7-1 but Hebig is somehow -1.

Likely not his best game – he’s been racking up points nightly.

91. OilClog says:

Didn’t know Neal trains with Mcdavid and wants to play with him.. well til that Vegas interview that is

92. Nailer Yakumoto says:

My dog started howling.

93. JD_Wry says:

OilClog: and wants to play with him

In the all star game.

94. HenryDrix says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Anyone calling Barzal revisionist history wasn’t paying attention at the time.

People freaked out that BOS could get both Barzal AND Connor when they had their three picks.

Then they collectively lost their shit when BOS didn’t take either.

Barzal was ranked high all year and dropped for no reason.

Many had him a top pick in other draft classes, but 2015 was deep.

Most had him top 5.

I guess the Oilers and Bruins were not among them.

95. thepeetso says:

Well those anthems were horrendous.

Jeebus.

96. OriginalPouzar says:

Great to hear Louie do the color.

97. OriginalPouzar says:

Looks like Fleury is playing – John Shannon was wrong on Subban starting.

98. OriginalPouzar says:

Its like a home crowd for the Oilers.

99. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Horseshit penalty

100. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar,

Don’t tell the PK

101. JD_Wry says:

OriginalPouzar:
    John Shannon was wrong

😲

102. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Another bullshit penalty…NHL working hard to give this one too Vegas already

103. OriginalPouzar says:

That’s a penalty? Really?

Two iffy calls against the Oil early.

104. Munny says:

JD_Wry:
    I’m in Vegas, sitting in my daughter’s condo watching an illegal stream.

Question: What tier of fan am I, on the KLowe-meter?

The Ninth Circle of Hell.

105. OilClog says:

JD_Wry: In the all star game.

The twinkle in his eye suggested more

106. JD_Wry says:

Munny: The Ninth Circle of Hell.

well at least it’s warm.

107. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Russell no need to go for a hit in the corner there on a PK.

108. OriginalPouzar says:

2nd straight fantastic PK.

109. JD_Wry says:

OilClog: The twinkle in his eye suggested more

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

110. OilClog says:

The mascot and Elvis may be the only knights fan in attendance tonight

111. Munny says:

The boards in this barn are just wild.

112. OriginalPouzar says:

Whoa – poor kid.

113. Pescador says:

JD_Wry:
    I’m in Vegas, sitting in my daughter’s condo watching an illegal stream.

Question: What tier of fan am I, on the KLowe-meter?

Hopefully no Tiers after tonight

HenryDrix: I guess the Oilers and Bruins were not among them.

It was a rich draft,suspect several prospects who ended up in the top 20 would have been reasonable options at that number. NHL teams are normally biased against smaller men (I had Yamamoto just outside the top 10), and it’s reasonable to assume there were a few players above him on several lists. Bruins and Oilers, my teams, passed on the opportunity.

115. OriginalPouzar says:

Stuart Skinner follows up his Broncos’ debut shutout by giving up one goal in a 9-1 win (only 19 shots).

116. russ99 says:

Yow that looked bad. Hope he’s ok.

117. treevojo says:

Woodguy v2.0: I’ve been wrong a lot too.

And if I was a total dink while being wrong I’d take the flak as it was earned.

They day you actually add value to this blog will be the first.
    All you do is troll other posters and dismiss others’ ideas.
    If you actually put yourself out there with ideas on how you’d do things like Bag of Pucks or Kinger Oil or others I generally disagree with it would be different.
    But you don’t.
    You bring no value.
    You snidely deride others and add nothing.
    Get bent.

You were a total dink and wrong on this one.

118. OilClog says:

Remenda is furiously writing Louie on his hit list for taking his job tonight

119. JD_Wry says:

JD_Wry:
    I think Chara just killed a guy.

Nurse:

Hold my beer.

120. OilClog says:

Some bombs are being lofted in here

121. JD_Wry says:

treevojo: You were a total dink and wrong on this one.

Eat at Arby’s!

122. OriginalPouzar says:

Oilers the much better team half way through the first period.

123. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Some lazy passing so far has not cost the team a goal against yet but probably lucky it hasn’t.

124. OilClog says:

I remember the time woodguy said Ottawa was going to come into the barn and lose badly as their team doesn’t do good at hockeying and can’t score

After the scored At will on us, I wrote him on my list.

Bombs!

125. OilClog says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Oilers the much better team half way through the first period.

You know they’ve already been down a man for 4 minutes, their play resembles more of a tire fire.

126. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Shots fired! Let’s shoot them at the Golden Knights instead. Goilers!

127. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Oilers the much better team half way through the first period.

128. JD_Wry says:

One of the many keys to the Vegs success this year, back to back injuries to Sbisa.

129. OriginalPouzar says:

Great save by Fleury.

A few mistakes but the boys are playing well.

130. Wilde says:

treevojo: They day you actually add value to this blog will be the first.
    All you do is troll other posters and dismiss others’ ideas.
    But you don’t.
    You bring no value.
    You snidely deride others and add nothing.
    Get bent.

You were a total dink and wrong on this one.

I’ll let him defend himself, but this is a hilarous series of accusations.

131. OriginalPouzar says:

Suicide pass from Maroon to McDavid – just barely avoids getting killed.

132. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

That sharp angle one timer for Drai has not worked all seaaon. They’re on to that play. He needs to change it up. Drive the net from there with his reach.

133. Wilde says:

Khaira appears to be on the 54+44 unit

134. Réal Goudenyéu says:

The drama on here tonight IS TOO DAMN HIGH

135. OriginalPouzar says:

Kassian no longer hits people (at least not at every opportunity like he does when he’s being successful).

He must be hurt.

136. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Oilers get a ticky tack even up call their way.

137. OilClog says:

Been awhile since the home crowd was this loud for the Oilers.. wait a minute.

138. Rondo says:

Jesse P doesn’t look so good w/o McDavid on the line.

RNH has lost something lately.

139. Dicky94 says:

OriginalPouzar,

I was just about to say that same thing.

140. JD_Wry says:

Wilde: hilarous series of accusations.

I must have missed all the appearances that Teevo has made on the local sports radio shows.

#mybad

141. Pescador says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Shots fired! Let’s shoot them at the Golden Knights instead. Goilers!

Umm

142. OriginalPouzar says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): ?? How? McDavid and Nurse look good. Everyone else looks asleep. Saw-off at best?

Oilers kill off two straight PKs with no great scoring chances. The Oilers skating better, first to most pucks, winning most battles and getting pucks on net, including from good spots.

Better team.

143. Munny says:

Rondo,

The game last night was one of his poorest this season. Might be under the weather.

144. Munny says:

Something random about the ice along the near boards.

145. treevojo says:

Wilde: I’ll let him defend himself, but this is a hilarous series of accusations.

It was copied and pasted except the last sentence.

146. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar,

Hey, this is better than they have looked in many first periods. Not complaining, but the play looks about even to me outside of McDavid doing McDavid things. Some errors on both sides

147. OilClog says:

OEL for Leon is the move

148. Pescador says:

What a momentum killer,
    lesigh

149. OriginalPouzar says:

That was one of the worst PPs of the year.

150. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar,

And yeah the PK has looked better on their 2 penalties.

The PP however

151. Munny says:

Fastest three steps in hockey.

152. Zelepukin says:

That PP was a thing of beauty in not achieving anything.

153. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Pk is the easiest thing to do – overload the puck carrier with players or simply skate full speed at whomever has the puck.

Simple. It’s exactly what Vegas just did.

154. Munny says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Better than 4th in the NHL? Or whatever the number is. The Oiler PK is stellar on the road.

155. Wilde says:

treevojo: It was copied and pasted except the last sentence.

Read familiar. My bad.

156. OilClog says:

He needs to just stab the puck into the net, put the fear of god into goalies. His speed, just go Glen styles and ram the net.

157. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Munny:
    NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Better than 4th in the NHL? Or whatever the number is? Their PK is stellar on the road.

Better than it was in that recent stretch when they allowed 8 goals on 11 penalties.

158. Gret99zky says:

OmJo:
    Gret99zky,

There were many.

LT used to say he could be very insightful/inciteful.

159. Munny says:

treevojo: It was copied and pasted except the last sentence.

Has anyone seen Chachi lately?

160. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Wilde: Read familiar. My bad.

Definitely Woodguy’s words. When I said we have all said things we regret here and we don’t need to trot them all out, this was sort of what I meant.

Haha

Oh well.

161. Zelepukin says:

The Russell Reset, on full display that shift.

162. OriginalPouzar says:

Russell with four failed exit attempts on that shift and then he ices the puck.

That is one bad shift.

163. leadfarmer says:

OilClog:
    OEL for Leon is the move

Are we going for the best Leftorium ever?

164. OilClog says:

Refs are terrible how is that not a trip 2

165. hunter1909 says:

treevojo: They day you actually add value to this blog will be the first.
    All you do is troll other posters and dismiss others’ ideas.
    But you don’t.
    You bring no value.
    You snidely deride others and add nothing.
    Get bent.

You were a total dink and wrong on this one.

Gentlemen, please. You can’t fight in here. This is the War Room!

166. deardylan says:

Stinking thinking…sales trainer zig ziglar coined it. Ruminating on past errors, mistakes wrecks our choices today. Learn, course correct, move on.

So who is the barzal of the upcoming draft? Past has passed so lets learn from it and pick the barzal of 2018.

We got Mcdavid and he is still only 20 years old for a few days now lets get him some wingmates in this draft and find some castaways like vegas did and give them opportunity to play full out and hain chemistry for the rest of season.

We got McDavid the biggest draft win since Crosby!!!

The future is now.

167. Zelepukin says:

Positives: PK did PK things. Talbot made the first save.

Negatives: PP did no PP things. Russell did not make the first pass. several times.

168. JD_Wry says:

It seems as though I owe Teevo an apology:

Eat at Harvey’s.

169. Gerta Rauss says:

Russel and Sekera survived that last minute without giving up a goal

Kind of a scraggly period…we’re not losing so that’s something

170. Zelepukin says:

deardylan:
    Who is the barzal of the upcoming draft? Past has passed so lets learn from it and pick the barzal of 2018.We got Mcdavid and he is still only 20 years old for a few days now lets get him some wingmates in this draft and find some castaways like vegas did and give them opportunity

We got McDavid the biggest draft win since Crosby!!!

The future is now.

Today is his 21st birthday. Not sure how you’ve missed that.

171. Munny says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Sadly, I don’t recall there being any regret in that case.

Gret99zky: There were many.

LT used to say he could be very insightful/inciteful.

Every board needs an agitator, it’s a fact. Someone to spur you on to do the work to make a point, to question your beliefs. DSF was such an individual but he could not keep it from becoming personal. I wasn’t the one who flushed him, the group did it. That said, life is easier for me without him. I can’t say the comments section is better, however.

173. Munny says:

I actually like David Amber but some producer needs to explain “begs the question” to him.

174. OilClog says:

leadfarmer: Are we going for the best Leftorium ever?

Obviously a defender is going to be peddled in the deal. Klef or Nurse, if Chia somehow works his one for one magic, defender can be peddled for mediocre winger somewhere else. Klef for Galchenyuk?

Perfect world though, Drake and a 4th lol

175. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Hall with 2 more points.

Devils have lost 6 straight.

The worst thing for this blog is Hall finishes top 10 in scoring and the Devils miss the playoffs

I’ll show myself out

176. Confused says:

Let’s go boys.

We cannot lose to Hunt and Engllend(?)

Go Oilers

177. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Bang on about Talbot there in Arizona

178. OilClog says:

DFS was a beacon of hate in a dark time, he bonded most posters together. Far more numbers and hope back then, and Minnesota.

179. leadfarmer says:

If I’m trading for OEL I want to make sure I can re-sign him and since he has a year and a half left you can’t resign him. Trading Drai and a first only to have OEL leave in free agency in 18 months would be a very Chia thing to do

180. OilClog says:

Year and a half of feeding Mcdavid the puck with a rabid fanbase naming sandwiches after you will have its appeal.

181. leadfarmer says:

If we get OEL I’ll have to photoshop an Oilers jersey on Ned Flanders

After One

No score
    12-8 Edmonton shots
    14-14 Edmonton Corsi for 5×5

183. danny says:

I’d do Drai for OEL with an understanding on a contract extension. 29 is important, but I worry about his contract being inflated from being on 97s wing, and a #1D of course is tougher to obtain than a #2C.

Obviously it’s a long shot but interesting.

would there even be room on this roster for Drais salary and a UFA #1D?

184. leadfarmer says:

danny:

Obviously it’s a long shot but interesting.

would there even be room on this roster for Drais salary and a UFA #1D?

I would do Drai for OEL cause 8.5 mil per is too much for a #2c or Mcdavids winger and we already have a #2c. Drai is exactly what Arizona needs especially if they win the draft lottery

185. OriginalPouzar says:

Lucic trying hard to get up to Maroons -11 penalty differential.

186. Munny says:

I’ve been experiencing some deja vu during this broadcast.

187. Munny says:

The missed high stick on Perron was ridiculous, I mean NHL reffing.

188. JD_Wry says:

Fecking P’rron!

189. Zelepukin says:

Someone needs to track how many giveaways our wingers make a metre inside our blueline. It has to be astronomical.

190. Ben says:

Was curious to see what was making the Knights tick. First thought: they seem to *always* be in the right place. Great coaching and buy-in to simple, sound positional play.

191. Munny says:

Was wondering what this end of the ice looked like.

192. Munny says:

Big save by TBot on Marchaso

193. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Munny:
    NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Sadly, I don’t recall there being any regret in that case.

Well, sometimes it takes a while to play out. But copying and pasting posts from 2 years ago seems a tad over the top. The link our host provided showed enough already.

When we argue with each other about recent issues, it’s sort of different and fair.

You caught me by surprise with your comment to me when I questioned the Oilers signing Keegan Lowe, for example. I thought that was personal and unfair. So I might have carried that with me to when you told Derek to disregard everyone else’s advice but then went on to give him your own. That probably led to me highlighting what you did there. I did not do it with ill intent and I think I did it without insulting you, just gently pointing out the irony since you accused me of benfiting from nepotism to get my first finance job, which really is not true or fair.

Had anyone else done what you did to Derek I may have let that comment slide.

So I will own up to that and express my regret for not being a bigger man. That said, I did not target you personally. If it came across that way I apologize.

Kinger and I butt heads but that only came about for me when we disagreed on hockey and then he extrapolated to say because I was just a trader I don’t know about investing and can only focus on individual trade value.

Never mind I traded prop for some of the biggest banks in the world, with a 400 million dollar trading book I made the investment decisions on. I made VP before my 25th birthday and ran a trading desk before my 30th. Someone must have thought I knew something back then. Sure. they were wrong about that, but it did not sit well with me to be called out for something people don’t know about.

I don’t attack people for their jobs or skills beyond hockey commentating because what do I know about what people have suffered from.

Anyway. Mini rant over.

I regret some things I have said. I don’t know why The Hop hates me or such but I must have done something. I respect Kinger so wish we could bury the hatchet. I regret calling you out the other day.

End of the day we all want this team to be better. All the losing gets to us all.

194. Zelepukin says:

Ben:

They break-out like a normal team. Short timely passes, on the tape, never hand-cuffing the wingers.

195. Munny says:

Nursed!!!

196. OriginalPouzar says:

Nurse keeps scoring.

197. Munny says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

This is not the time (GDT), but if I remember, will respond another thread.

198. JD_Wry says: