G46 2017-18: Oilers at Golden Knights

The Edmonton Oilers won a game—that’s a welcome respite from recent events—and it’s possible for creative writers to thread the needle when presenting playoff scenarios. I’m not going to do that because it would insult your intelligence. Let’s move on. It’s Tabernac Saturday and we’re on to Vegas.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

RED RUM, YEAR OVER YEAR

• January 2016: 2-2-2, goal differential -3 (6 points)
  • January 2017: 3-3-0, goal differential -3 (6 points)
  • January 2018: 2-4-0, goal differential -11 (4 points)

G7 in 2016 January was a 2-1 shootout win over the Calgary Flames and it was the same one year later I kid you not. Last night’s win in Arizona was a welcome breath of fresh air for fans but you can see how much has been lost. If the Oilers run the January table, they’re still so far from home.

AFTER 45, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 17-23-5, goal differential -26 (39 points)
  • Oilers 16-17: 23-15-7, goal differential +7 (53 points)
  • Oilers 17-18: 19-23-3, goal differential -22 (41 points)
G46 in 15-16 was a 2-1 shootout win over the Flames as above, and a year later it was a 3-1 win over the Coyotes. Edmonton could win its 20th game of the season tonight, and if the club continues on its current trek the final record would be something like 35-42-5, 75 points.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM JANUARY

• At home to: Los Angeles, Anaheim (Expected 0-1-1) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: Dallas, Chicago, Nashville, Arizona, Vegas (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 1-3-0)
  • At home to: Vancouver, Buffalo, Calgary (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 4-4-2, 10 points in 10 games
  • Current results: 2-4-0, four points in six games

After tonight the club gets a week off and we have the All-Star break and things will get a little loose. Vegas are fire at home, I don’t know that it’s reasonable to expect a point from this game (although I projected a point from this contest).

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• Klefbom-Benning went 19-12 in 17:28, 1-0 GF and 6-0 in HDSC’s (mostly with the McDavid line). I’m a big time fan of Oscar, he’s coming along now, 20 5×5 minutes and six shot attempts. This team will win if Klef rattles and hums, he solves a lot of problems. Pairing went 11-4 against Perlini-Stepan-Panik, which I take to be the Coyotes second line. Benning moved the puck well and hung in defensively.
  • Nurse-Larsson went 15-15 in 17:07, 2-1 in GF and 4-5 in HDSC’s. To my eye there was a little roaming both men, although they delivered a good possession number in the toughest minutes. Went 7-3 against Dvorak-Keller-Archibald, which I count as Arizona’s top line. Nurse ripped two pucks past their goaler, he has a bomb. I’m really enjoying the progression we’re seeing from this young man. Larsson is a player this old timey hockey fan appreciates a lot, he’s a rock and the back difficulties appear to be the lesser as days go down.
  • Sekera-Russell went 7-15 in 17:27 and a lot of that had to do with unnecessary turnovers, wonky passes and indecision. Pair was 0-0 in GF and 1-3 in HDSC’s, Russell made one play where he slowly moved up the ice, reached the neutral zone, waited until it was too late, made a poor pass and was enveloped by Coyotes. Sekera made some good plays, Russell looks betwixt and between at this time. Went 2-5 against Rieder-Fischer-Domi, and 1-6 against Perlini-Stepan-Panik. They’ll get killed tonight with the same decisions.
  • Cam Talbot stopped one of three and was pulled, something going on there. I wonder. Al Montoya stopped all 19.
  • NaturalStatTrick and NHL.com.

FORWARDS, LAST NIGHT

• Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl accounted for four points on the night. Went 19-13, 2-0 GF and 8-1 HDSC’s. The coach likes this line. McDavid, as predicted, set his jaw and slipped into ‘to hell with this noise’ mode at the end of the first and basically willed the Maroon goal. Leon was the most wobbly of Edmonton’s good players, making dangerous passes and not quite getting control of the puck in situations he would normally thrive in. No matter, this trio is vish.
  • Lucic-Nuge-Puljujarvi had an unusual evening. Lucic had four HDSC’s but pucks were sailing past him in a fashion similar to the childhood game ‘keepaway’ for much of the night. He took a damned silly penalty late, too. Nuge scored and skated miles, easily the most effective member of the unit. JP’s offense has left him since he’s been banished from McDavid island, this is a very poor outcome of the line shuffle. Line went 11-10, 0-0 GF and 2-0 HDSC’s together.
  • Khaira-Strome-Cammalleri went 4-10, 1-0 GF and 1-2  in the HDSC’s. Khaira was the best player on the line, but I liked Strome’s work, too. I think the former Islander may be turning a corner, welcome news if true. Cammalleri can still show flashes of that spectacular offensive ability, just not as much.
  • Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian were the one line I didn’t see good at all. Were 6-10, 0-1 GF and 1-4 HDSC’s. I liked Kassian on the PK and not much else. Caggiula doesn’t get to the part of the game where bat meets ball anymore.

GOALIE CONTROVERSY

I don’t think so, but Cam Talbot isn’t where he needs to be and Montoya is playing very well right now. I would run Talbot tonight, your mileage may vary.

Ten days ago Fussy Britches tweeted this out and it hit the hockey world this week as a rumor. One thing we always need to remember about these tidbits is that they may be incomplete. Darren Dreger suggested a few days ago that a “Taylor Hall for Cody Ceci” trade was discussed (one for one) but  logic and reason should lead us to challenge that notion. Peter Chiarelli has himself in a spot of bother all by his lonesome, no need for me to add to it with further eye roll emoticons.

Is Caggiula as a centrepiece for Hoffman reasonable? Per 82 games, Caggiula is scoring 10.6 goals and 23.9 points in the NHL. He is not a prospect (23 now) and his numbers suggest mid-level usage.

DRAKE CAGGIULA 2016-17

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.04 (11th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 4.25 (5th among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 47.8
  • Corsi Rel 5×5 %: -2.0
  • DFF Elite 5×5 %: 38.7
  • DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: -10.6 (23 percent of TOI v. elites)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 93 shots/7.5%
  • Boxcars: 60gp, 7-11-18
  • (All numbers via Puck IQStats.HockeyAnalysis.com and hockey-reference)

DRAKE CAGGIULA 2017-18

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.11 (12th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.10 in 19 minutes
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 49.35
  • Corsi Rel 5×5 %: -3.44
  • DFF Elite 5×5 %: unavailable
  • DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: unavailable
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 51 shots/9,8%
  • Boxcars: 33gp, 5-4-9
  • (All numbers via hockey-reference)

We know usage is a big deal for complementary players, Caggiula has been fortunate enough to play with Connor McDavid quite a bit during his 1.5 seasons with the Oilers.

• Caggiula scoring with McDavid 5×5: 137:40, 3-4-7 (3.06)
  • Caggiula scoring w/o McDavid 5×5:  867:09, 5-7-12 (0.83)

I’m not certain Drake Caggiula is going to have a long NHL career, will give credit for his establishing himself within the Oilers roster quickly. His speed makes him attractive to the coach, but for me Edmonton might be better off finding a burner with a little more offense and two-way acumen. Sometimes players look impressive without delivering the goods. Mr. Caggiula is neither prospect nor established, in my opinion.

645 Responses to "G46 2017-18: Oilers at Golden Knights"

« Older Comments
  1. russ99 says:

We discussed this before. The plan was to bridge Nurse and a Benning and in a year or two when we can move out Sekera and Russell, have them take their place and bring up Jones and Bear to take over the third line spots from them.

2. geowal says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Heard on Vegas feed Oilers have a flight booked straight out of town right after the game. #freeconnor

McDavid made it reasonably clear in his first intermission interview that he had something planned tonight with friends/teammates. Downplayed it, but seemed like there was a thing happening (other than the plane).

3. OmJo says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    So honest question about Darnell, what do we do here?

I think a bridge is the smartest move around $3-$3.25

Starting to question my assumption that he doesn’t blow up offensively

Very tough to call at this moment

I don’t know about a bridge anymore.

He only has 18 points, but that’s 18 even strength points. That’s significant. He went into this game with 16 – tied for 18th in the NHL for defencemen EVP with Subban, Parayko and Hamilton.

18 points would have him tied for 12th in EV scoring for defencemen going into the game tonight. NHL.com hasn’t updated their stats yet so I don’t know where he sits.

It really depends where you see his ceiling. I still see him as having potential to grow. I don’t think he’ll be a 60-70pt defenceman, but I don’t think I bridge him anymore. He’s not playing with any defencemen who could be bumping his stats up. I can see him being a 1LD, a poor man’s Pronger (which isn’t meant to be a bad thing).

The draft pick compensation for a 5 x $6-7 million dollar contract is a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd….not much for a young stud D.

He will be offersheeted.

5. texmex says:

Check out lucic twitter feed. Almost got a skate to the jugular

6. OmJo says:

JD_Wry: Having been witness to the amount of coke in Alberta during the 80s (looking at you, Whitecourt), I’m not sure there’s any place that would really fulfill your wishes.

Lol I’ve heard some stories.

You’re probably right.

7. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

OmJo,

So Darnell is the one oilers prospect/player that I’ve tempered my expectations with

But I don’t think you’re projections are crazy either.

His rushes are a fascinating part of the Oilers game. Right now most are chaotic and scramble. BUT th fact they are happening is worth noting. Not everyone has a dman who can skate a puck up like Darnell. He’s supported his own rushes pretty good the last three games (chip and chase vs skate around, board battles , passes etc.) and he’s put on the breaks a bit earlier to try and setup for the pass.

It’s not a polished game yet but there is growth happening. He’ll be fun to watch over the 2nd half here

8. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Yotes gonna Yotes. Give up the tying goal against San Jose with 15 seconds left.

9. OmJo says:

Dicky94:
    godot10,

Move Sekera in the offseason. Give nurse his deal.

Sekera at 100% is very, very good.

If I was General Disappointment I would be trying to blackmail Russell into waiving his NMC. Legally, of course.

10. Zelepukin says:

texmex:
    Check out lucic twitter feed. Almost got a skate to the jugular

Gruesome.

11. russ99 says:

Zelepukin: Gruesome.

texmex:
    Check out lucic twitter feed. Almost got a skate to the jugular

Damn. That’s scary. Glad he’s ok.

12. Pescador says:

HenryDrix:
    TMac is such an idiot for playing Cags with McDavid.

13. jp says:

texmex:
    Check out lucic twitter feed. Almost got a skate to the jugular

Yeah, wow

14. OmJo says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    OmJo,

But I don’t think you’re projections are crazy either.

Exactly, he’s only 22. Defencemen take longer to develop, at least that’s what I’ve been told ad naseum over the last 12 years I’ve followed hockey. So there’s still time for him to improve and polish his game up. His rushes are fun to watch and he’s figuring out what to do with the puck.

Was this how he played in the OHL?

This will probably be a harder negotiation for General Disappointment than Draisaitl was because Nurse kind of came out of nowhere.

15. OmJo says:

texmex:
    Check out lucic twitter feed. Almost got a skate to the jugular

Damn. Watched a video today of NHL bloody moments, the Malarchuk and Zednik incidents. Glad I didn’t have to watch another of those tonight.

16. OmJo says:

Should the NHL try to figure out a way to protect players’ necks and throats?

17. Zelepukin says:

OmJo:
    Should the NHL try to figure out a way to protect players’ necks and throats?

Yes, everyone should be required to grow Thornton sized beards.

18. JD_Wry says:

OmJo: Lol I’ve heard some stories.

I have too. And I was in some of them.

19. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OEL now -40 on the season!! Sounds like an Oilers target indeed.

20. Lloyd B. says:

Lowetide: Every board needs an agitator, it’s a fact. Someone to spur you on to do the work to make a point, to question your beliefs. DSF was such an individual but he could not keep it from becoming personal. I wasn’t the one who flushed him, the group did it. That said, life is easier for me without him. I can’t say the comments section is better, however.

Late to reading the comments today due to work. ( Which by the way if any of you are looking for a new Jayco RV come to RV Wars in Edmonton tomorrow and ask for me ) shameless plug)

Tell them you are a Lowetide poster, give me your blogging name and I’ll get you friends and family pricing.

Sorry LT. Delete if you need to or …. make the offer to all Athletic subscribers !!! Another bonus to being a follower of LT !!

But… this is GOLD … LT… GOLD.

As posters on LTs blog we can love or hate individual thoughts on a number of ideas without attacking each other.

We are never richer when a poster leaves. And for whatever happened today with Melvis…I probably haven’t got to the rest of the story..

But I ask you all… Please don’t piss him off like you have so many others that he decides to leave.

His incredible history and stories are something that none of us will ever get to experience. I for one am glad we get the privilege of hearing about them on this hockey blog.

21. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: Bob’s a good guy. I have his back. He’s never had a drink tonight included. 🙂

If you have his back, how can he walk?

22. Professor Q says:

OmJo:
    Should the NHL try to figure out a way to protect players’ necks and throats?

Turtle necks with the old skateguards built in.

Along with skates like Jochen Hecht used to wear, where the blades are covered.

23. Professor Q says:

Listening to the Vegas players post-game.

Damn.

They were actually surprised to lose to Edmonton. They’re confident in their team, I’ll give them that, but it still sucks to hear a new team talk about Edmonton’s struggles and them losing twice to the Oilers as some mystery that “just happens, I guess”. In a weird, pseudo-sage yet pseudo-conceited manner.

24. OriginalPouzar says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    So honest question about Darnell, what do we do here?

I think a bridge is the smartest move around $3-$3.25

Starting to question my assumption that he doesn’t blow up offensively

Very tough to call at this moment

I don’t imagine Nurse signs a contract anywhere near $3M, bridge or not.

We are looking at close to $5M on a bridge probably and I fear what a 7-8 year contract could look like.

His offence is currently spiking – it could get to levels I didn’t think he had if he starts to get PP time now (and he did in the 3rd period for the first time).

25. OriginalPouzar says:

russ99:

This was who’s plan?

Did the GM/POHO (or anyone inside the organization ever state this)?

Sounds like a nice and simple progression plan except things are simply not that easy. I like those two D prospects, both of them might have very nice NHL careers as top 4 d-man but both of them may never even make the NHL.

I doubt the team is looking years ahead and plugging two rookies on to the 3rd pairing just like that.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10:

He will be offersheeted.

A player that has 4 NHL seasons will be eligible for arbitration and the team could shield the player from an offer sheet by signing them up for arbitration. Nurse played 2 games on 14/15 – I’m not sure if that counts as a year for arbitration purposes or not.

Of course, they would come to a deal well before the hearing (like the vast majority of cases).

27. OriginalPouzar says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    OEL now -40 on the season!! Sounds like an Oilers target indeed.

He was -3 against the Oilers the other night but had a splendid game and made 3-4 spectacular defensive plays.

I think you know better than to use that stat in isolation to evaluate a player.

With that said, OEL is a lefite – we’d have to move Klef and his fantastic contract (even more fantastic next year when he’s not playing hurt).

Also, how do we give up full value in a deal for OEL when he’s only got one year of term left? He can’t be re-signed until July.

28. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar,

I didn’t use +/- to evaluate him. I didn’t evaluate him at all, in fact.

Knowing how contentious the use of +/- is on this site, I pointed that eye-popping stat out in what I hoped was clearly tongue-in-cheek style.

Think the bye week is coming at a good time for me. Time for a break from this place for me.

29. OriginalPouzar says:

Some on this blog think Treena has connections – she is advising that The Bruins have interest in Maroon and have contacted the Oilers.

30. OriginalPouzar says:

With the 2 points last night and the small overall sample size, what is Drake’s P/60 with 97?

Does the OT point count? It’s even strength but not 5 on 5.’

Although I put it more on Connor, Drake does need to be better in his own zone than he was on the 2nd goal.

31. OriginalPouzar says:

Proud of the way the boys have played and competed over the last 4 nights.

Played a very good game on the road against a very good to team in NSH. Were the better team for 40 minutes. Had trouble finishing but played well and were robbed of at least one point on an iffy rule.

Didn’t play a great game in Arizona but were able to overcome a demoralizing 2 goal deficit early and the back-up came in and led them to victory. That was an example of exactly what we can expect from Montoya next year. He’s an established veteran back-up and very solid in that role. He came in and provided solid tending and gave the team a chance to come back.

An up and down performance last night against the top team in the West and the league’s best home team. Sagged as the game went on but it was 3 games in 4 nights and 4 in 6 (I think) on the road. Overcame a tough injury mid-way through the game and gutted out a victory.

2-1 in the last 4 and could easily be 3-0 (or 2-1-1).

Go Oilers!

32. OriginalPouzar says:

Oh, and my goodness Darnell Nurse.

We all know about his 4 steps forward this year and how much he’s improved – mostly in the defensive zone, positioning and transitioning the puck. Over the last few weeks his offence has spiked. He’s been getting points somewhat consistently through the year but it seems that over the last few weeks, he’s been more of a primary contributor to the offensive production – he’s making more offensive plays.

I believe he’s up to 12th among d-men in even strength scoring.

He did see some PP time on the last PP – maybe we’ll see more of than in the 2nd half.

I think the next step for Darnell is an uptick his breakout pass – don’t get me wrong, he’s got a decent breakout pass but his primary way to transition the puck right now is to skate it up ice but its always better to transport the puck by pass, if possible – that’s going to come next.

What a beast of a D-man he’s going to be.

This is going to be an interesting contract this spring/summer.

33. Woodguy v2.0 says:

treevojo: They day you actually add value to this blog will be the first.
    All you do is troll other posters and dismiss others’ ideas.
    If you actually put yourself out there with ideas on how you’d do things like Bag of Pucks or Kinger Oil or others I generally disagree with it would be different.
    But you don’t.
    You bring no value.
    You snidely deride others and add nothing.
    Get bent.

You were a total dink and wrong on this one.

Being wrong on that is a matter of opinion.

If you think I was, I can take the heat for it.

I don’t think I was, but obv ymmv

34. OriginalPouzar says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    OriginalPouzar,

I didn’t use +/- to evaluate him. I didn’t evaluate him at all, in fact.

I wasn’t trying to belittle your post or anything like that and I apologize if it came off that way – I hadn’t had my pre-workout caffeine yet and perhaps displayed an unintentional tone in my post.

I was in a conversation yesterday with some Leaf fans who had pointed to OEL’s -3 against the Oil as evidence of his struggles and, as I watched that game, I know he did not struggle so I’m a bit live to the OEL +/- issue – sorry if I came off as anything other than respectful.

35. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar,

Don’t worry. I just failed to be funny. -40 in 45 games is an incredible number. That’s all. I am not using it to discount OEL, who has been a good player for years.

I concur with you that breaking the bank on salary and assets to get another lefty is undesirable. If this were Doughty I would be all for spending on a 3 for 1. But it isn’t.

You weren’t being disrespectful. My glib just didn’t translate. I have been posting too often of late and so I think people would appreciate it if I took a break for a while. So I am going to go into snow country tomorrow to go shoot for a couple of days.

Take care all

36. OriginalPouzar says:

I would appreciate it more if you stay and kept posting but if you feel you need a break, you do what you got to do.

Is going to be a long break until next Sat.

Good thing they finished the pre-break schedule with a couple of victories in a row (could have been three with a little luck/a few breaks).

37. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OmJo: I don’t know about a bridge anymore.

As per Corsica.hockey, after last night Nurse is 10th in raw EV points with 16.

EV includes 4v4 and 5v5 (Nurse has 14 5v5 points)

In terms of EV P/60 among Dmen with at least 200 minutes he’s tied for 29th (1.12/60)

In terms of EV P1/60 (primary points – goals and 1st assists) he’s 22nd (0.84/60)

If these are the results of getting a personal coach, every Oiler should get one.

38. Professor Q says:

Woodguy v2.0: As per Corsica.hockey, after last night Nurse is 10th in raw EV points with 16.

EV includes 4v4 and 5v5 (Nurse has 14 5v5 points)

Have a dual-camp thing going in. Skills and fitness.

39. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Professor Q: Which is why I don’t understand why the whole team just doesn’t hire Oates and Roberts. If not full-time, then at least for the Summer.

Have a dual-camp thing going in. Skills and fitness.

Different strokes for different folks.

The actual team wouldn’t hire them, nor would I expect either Roberts or Oates agree to work for just one team when they have nice businesses going where they make all the decisions.

40. Professor Q says:

Woodguy v2.0,

The team wouldn’t hire them as assistant coaches, but could hire them as independent contractors for their Summer camp training sessions.

Basically giving them an extra 20+ clients for the Summer or throughout the year, or in other words paying for their players to be clients. All for the benefit of the team as a whole, in both increased skills and fitness as well as the mutual team experience (a bonding opportunity). As individualized and specific while also as a group.

41. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Professor Q:
    Woodguy v2.0,

Yeah, that’s what I assumed you meant.

I don’t think either would do it as it would have to exclude their current clients and there is only so much time to train in the summer.

42. Jethro Tull says:

Woodguy v2.0: Yeah, that’s what I assumed you meant.

Might be a sticky wicket with the NHLPA. I understood that the players who get extra-curricula training do so at their own discretion.

I believe the teams probably give them some criteria to work on personally, as well as nutritional information. Makes sense. But looking at how some players come into camp, it must be voluntary.

43. frjohnk says:

Jethro Tull: But looking at how some players come into camp, it must be voluntary.

Yup, there are still players like Vlad Tarasenko who come into camp not really in shape. They use training camp to get into shape. Other guys might take only a week off the whole summer and then train and eat like a madman to stay in tip top shape the rest of summer.

44. OriginalPouzar says:

I can’t really attribute Nurse’s uptick in offence to the skills lessons completely.

Although I’m sure the skills lessons with Oats and his team has helped, I think this is a function of development, maturity and experience. As Darnell has got more comfortable on the ice, the game has slowed down for him – there is less chaos and more “making plays”.

His giant steps forward for the first half of the year, to me, centered around positioning, in particular in his own zone, decision making and transition. He was still struggling with the “offensive part of the game” and making good offensive decisions with the puck from the redline in. Of course, he was still getting some points but offensive was not a strong suit.

Over the last few weeks or so, it seems like the actual offensive decisions have spiked in Nurse’s game – he’s making more plays with the puck and being rewarded.

I think the next step in Nurse’s game is going to be with respect to transitioning the puck via pass. He still defaults to skating the puck out which is fine and an amazing skill but its always better (quicker) to transition with an outlet pass. That will come next.

What a beast of a player we have on our hands.

Kudos to the management team on the slow, patient and proper development of this player (only blip was 1st pairing responsibility in his first year – that was fixed last year).

« Older Comments