Trust

They don’t show it much anymore on television, but one of the great TV movies of all time is called DUEL. It stars Dennis Weaver and a Peterbilt transport truck, which is the scariest vehicle I have ever seen. The truck (and a driver, who we never see) scare the daylights out of poor Dennis Weaver all over the most remote blacktop on planet earth. It was the first film directed by Steven Spielberg, and to this day, I can remember the feeling of excitement and dread during the first viewing. Lordy what a movie.

In the film, Dennis Weaver drove a Valiant. Not a confident vehicle. Valiant’s need a little help. That’s why they called it a Valiant for crying out loud. If you are brave enough, here is the trailer from the movie, one in which you’ll see that poor Valiant and one crazy ass frightened Dennis Weaver.

My Dad loved the Valiant. We had at least two of them during my childhood. It was not the kind of car people bragged about, but it got good gas mileage (Dad drove about three MPH slower than the limit, said you got better mileage that way) and it was functional. I could have told you when I was 12 there wasn’t a chance in hell I would ever own one, but when my Dad finally moved off the Valiant, he charged right into the Fury. Argh. Trust is a thing.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

THE COACH AND YOUNG PLAYERS

Back in the fall of 2007, Craig MacTavish gave his opinions on the young forwards who were pushing up from the AHL, college and junior hockey.

• Craig MacTavish on an opening for a young forward like Cogliano, Nilsson, Schremp: “We’re still going to be preaching responsibility. It’s all a game of what you create minus what you give up. If you’re creating a lot you’re going to get more latitude to try and create offense, but if you’re not productive then the balance is out of whack. We want to win hockey games. We need one of those guys to develop.”

Cogliano, Nilsson and Sam Gagner all made the big club and MacT did his best to instruct a fairly wayward crew. Schremp never did make it, Nilsson was bound for Europe and the other two embarked on NHL careers that now count 741 (Gagner) and 830 (Cogliano) NHL games.

The words of MacTavish above are interesting as they pertain to Todd McLellan (another respected, veteran coach) and his handling of Jesse Puljujarvi. I would wager JP is superior without the puck to a player like Sam Gagner and the rest of this group. There’s still a rapport that has to be built, a relationship established, some shared success from running up that hill.

• MacT on what he wants from the kids: “It’s got to be a clear and concise plan that you set forth for these players, and all you want to see is progress. As long as you’re seeing progress, then you’ve got an ally in me and the coaching staff. If you’re diligent and have a work ethic, then you’re going to have an ally.”

I think Puljujarvi has been that player, he’s a game rooster and TMac has talked about fewer language barriers this season (a good sign). My view of him is that he works like a bugger, that he is prone to loss of confidence and that he’s (like everyone else) miles better when playing with Connor McDavid.

THE COACH AND YOUNG PLAYERS

• Todd McLellan on Jesse Puljujarvi earning power-play time, December 17: “He’s steadily improved since he’s got here. He’s been able to take increments of his game up on a steady basis. We think he’s ready to go there. He’s earned the opportunity. What we’ve watched with him is making sure that he hasn’t given up anything in his game as he takes more on. He’s done a very good job of that.” Source

That’s a positive quote and marries well with the MacT verbal above. JP is a talented man who is young and lacks experience, but there are good arrows. Did JP get power-play chances in the games after December 17?

• On the night of December 18, JP got 40 seconds of power-play time (team leader had 3:16) and the big Finn played well on the McDavid line (no goals, lots of chances).
  • December 21, he got punted from the McDavid line (Puljujarvi was struggling) and had 1:58 on the man advantage.
  • December 23, no power-play time, back on the 97 line, the trio is not good but McDavid wins the day.
  • December 27, JP has a goal, seven shots, gets 54 power-play seconds. The 97 line is dominant but lose to Winnipeg.
  • December 29, Puljujarvi has a goal and an assist, 1:54 on the power play, 10 shot attempts.
  • December 31 was the poor game against the Jets, JP got 1:40 on the power play and less than five minutes on the McDavid line.
  • January 2, Oilers lost 5-0, Maroon moved up to the 97-98 line (replacing Milan Lucic) and Puljujarvi had four HDSC’s, 8 shot attempts and 3:31 on the power play. Early January, he’s getting 5×5 time with McDavid and some big minutes with the 5×4. Those 5-0 losses may have hurt his feature time with 97 but he played well in this game.
  • January 4 it’s McDavid as his center, 13:39 and 2:21 on the power play for JP, Oilers win and the line looks good. I noted Puljujarvi was a bull in a china shop (Lucic was back on the big line).
  • January 6 more time on the 97 line, McDavid the best player and Puljujarvi second best by my eye. 15:42 at evens, 1:11 on the power play.
  • January 7, 12:29, no power-play time, he’s on the Nuge line and the sparks are gone.

JESSE PULJUJARVI 2016-17

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.45 (7th among all forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 2.66 (one goal in 22 minutes)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 53.2
  • Corsi Rel 5×5 %: 2.1
  • DFF Elite 5×5 %: 32.8
  • DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: -7.5 (30 percent of TOI v. elites)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 41 shots/2.4%
  • Boxcars: 28gp, 1-7-8
  • (All numbers via Puck IQStats.HockeyAnalysis.com and hockey-reference)

JESSE PULJUJARVI 2017-18

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.42 (8th among all forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 2.96 (one goal in 20 minutes)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 53.49
  • Corsi Rel 5×5 %: 3.15
  • DFF Elite 5×5 %: 50.2
  • DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: — (26 percent of TOI v. elites)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 74 shots/10.8%
  • Boxcars: 29gp, 8-3-11
  • (All numbers via Puck IQ and NaturalStatTrick)

G and WG kindly passed along some information from the Puck IQ numbers this year, our man JP is doing well via DFF this season. His offense is about where it was last season and of course his numbers with McDavid (JP is 5-2-7 in 203 minutes with McDavid, 2.07 5×5 points per 60) shine. Without McDavid, he is 2-0-2 in 178 minutes, 0.67 5×5 points per 60. By the way, Leon Draisaitl is 2.23/60 at 5×5 with McDavid, telling us JP is in the range.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

In 200 minutes together, Jesse Puljujarvi is scoring well enough with Connor McDavid to warrant more playing time. It would allow the club to run Leon Draisaitl on another scoring line. Coach Todd McLellan moved Leon to 97’s wing when things we on a downbeat and we should expect that duo to hang together until the next losing streak. I think it would be better to run Puljujarvi with Draisaitl, and I also think Todd McLellan would have liked the Valiant.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. A fun morning, scheduled to appear:

• Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. Where to slot Nurse, can Peter Chiarelli salvage his job, Jesse Puljujarvi and where he slots.
  • Corey Pronman, The Athletic. Kailer Yamamoto’s season and the 2018 draft.
  • Pete Jensen, NHL.com’s main fantasy writer. Fantasy tips, send your questions!

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

165 Responses to "Trust"

1. 106 and 106 says:

that trailer actually scared me.

also, confused me (the tarantula on the leg?).

But then scared me again.

Come for the hockey, stay for the movie suggestions.

2. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Been playing around with some scoring rates of all the forwards together.

This may be close to optimal (read: Tood will never do it)

91-97-18
    27-93-13
    19-29-98
    16-55-44

If he’s not going to play JP with 97, then he can’t play him with 93 imo. The row is much tougher than 3rd line minutes and part of developing younger players is putting them in positions to succeed.

97’s minutes are toughest, but you have 97, its like cheating and JP is fine there.

18’s WoodMoneys are surprisingly good. Keeping him on the 3rd line might be a mistake when he play 1RW and that frees up 29 to create a 3rd scoring line.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

Its interesting that some of Jesse’s fancies are very close to where they were last year.

No surprise that the numbers are worse without McDavid but they need to get better.

In the few games he’s played recently off the McDavid line, while he hasn’t necessarily played poorly, he hasn’t found any chemistry.

Are we able to get a sense of how much of the PP time is PP1 (with McDavid) and how much is PP2?

I don’t think he’s got much PP1 time and recently Nuge has been on PP1 leaving very little on PP2 (Strome, Lucic, etc.).

4. Professor Q says:

What is it with movies and ominous transport truck villains?

5. OriginalPouzar says:

As recently discussed, Strome at 1RW is something we haven’t seen since like the 2nd pre-season game (except for the odd shift – most of which were line changes anyways).

I’ve expressed that I’d like to have a long look at Strome at 3C and, his ability to play well in that role, allows us to move one of Nuge or Drai to wing in the top 6, essentially filling a top 6 winger position for next year.

With that said, if Strome can run with 1RW (and, who knows, maybe he can), that also fills a top 6 winger role for next year.

I’m still not sure why Todd has not gone back to Strome at 1RW at all.

6. frjohnk says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Been playing around with some scoring rates of all the forwards together.

This may be close to optimal (read: Tood will never do it)

91-97-18
    27-93-13
    19-29-98
    16-55-44

If he’s not going to play JP with 97, then he can’t play him with 93 imo.The row is much tougher than 3rd line minutes and part of developing younger players is putting them in positions to succeed.

18’s WoodMoneys are surprisingly good.Keeping him on the 3rd line might be a mistake when he play 1RW and that frees up 29 to create a 3rd scoring line.

What would this winger group do if they had
    RNH
    Will Acton
    Anton Lander
    Boyd Gordon

as their centers?

7. frjohnk says:

OriginalPouzar:

I’m still not sure why Todd has not gone back to Strome at 1RW at all.

They have put guys who have been in the minors, are now in jr, castaways, been in the press box, on McDavids wing, but have not put Strome on McDavids wing. So I dont get it.

Not sure Strome is an actual center. Poor on the dot, not good defensively, disappears for games at a time. Try him on wing, there he will not have to be the guy that drives some of the play and can be a complimentary player, maybe there is something there.

8. hunter1909 says:

Professor Q:
    What is it with movies and ominous transport truck villains?

It’s more to do with Spielberg having no clue what truck drivers are like, but knowing intimately what salesmen do that drives this. Those big bad cowboys really scare the living hell out of city kids.

9. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909 Emergency Death March™ Update for new/returning players:

Oilers unpredictable start to the season makes for Emergency Death March; a Contest within a Contest!

Original 2017-18 Death march Players! Don’t worry! Your game is safe! Emergency Death March™ is a brand new game!

Here’s how You play: simply go to http://www.oilersdeathmarch.com and click ENTER NEW CONTEST

It’s Easy! Free to enter!

More prizes for Emergency Death March™ winners…Contest Book will remain open until mid February…until puck drop for games either the Yotes on the 15th or the Bruins on the 20th.

10. mumbai max says:

Lol. You could park a Valiant in the backseat of that Fury. Loved that movie.
    I had no idea it was Spielberg’s first. Dennis Weaver had the look of NHL defensemen
    when McDavid is on the ice! Going to find and watch Duel again. Thanks for the valiant memories.

11. Atc-Nate says:

Having been through air traffic control training several times in a field that requires significant confidence, it is of utmost importance for those learning the game to get and keep confidence. That’s why it’s great if we can allow the young guns to marinate in the lower leagues until they’re brimming with confidence. Too bad our AHL team doesn’t see things quite that way, though I suppose part of that is on the GM for not supplying them with a steady stream of Forward prospects. I digress.

It also applies with JP and Connor. If that’s where he’s best confidence wise, and the season is shot, play him there until the end.

12. fifthcartel says:

I’m pretty surprised Strome hasn’t got an extended look with 97, but maybe that’s a sign the coach isn’t really a fan of him. I remember McLellan calling him Dylan in preseason. He’s also averaging the lowet TOI of his career, about 10 seconds lower than his last year in New York.

13. jake70 says:

Great movie. Pretty sure I posted this another time LT brought up Duel on here…..Spielberg called it “Jaws on Wheels”. The same sound effect when truck goes over cliff was used when the shark in Jaws sinks after it explodes. Despite some of the continuity gaffes (one second driving between mountains, next shot a second later and going through flatland), was a great film. Remember Spielberg saying they had like 11 days or something like that to film, and were filming and editing almost right until it aired on TV.

14. SoCaloil says:

I was very happy to see Cagliano earn another contract w/ the Ducks.
    Always cheering for the guy. I wish he remained an Oiler for life.
    What a great 2-way player signed for reasonable $$ and term.
    I’m sorry LT, but there is no way in H E double hockey stick that at this stage of development Puljajarvi is better without the puck then Cags

15. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar,

I don’t think there is enough evidence that Strome “plays well in the 3 C role”

I think there is evidence that he wasn’t that good at it for NYI, but not enough evidence to say one way or another here.

He mostly plays 3RW and not 3C, even when 29 isn’t 3C.

Atc-Nate:

A good coach would play Puljujarvi with McDavid OR on the 3rd line. McLellan chooses to play him in the worst possible slot, the 2nd line with Nugent-Hopkins.

17. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    OriginalPouzar,

I don’t think there is enough evidence that Strome “plays well in the 3 C role”

He mostly plays 3RW and not 3C, even when 29 isn’t 3C.

It’s almost as if Strome’s not even part of the team. He’s played like some kind of wandering knight(non-vegas kind).

18. Pouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0: 91-97

Why do you hate me?

19. OriginalPouzar says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    OriginalPouzar,

I don’t think there is enough evidence that Strome “plays well in the 3 C role”

He mostly plays 3RW and not 3C, even when 29 isn’t 3C.

20. OmJo says:

SoCaloil:
    I was very happy to see Cagliano earn another contract w/ the Ducks.
    Always cheering for the guy.I wish he remained an Oiler for life.
    What a great 2-way player signed for reasonable $$ and term.

Oops.

21. Scungilli Slushy says:

I have no idea what the coaches are trying to accomplish with the youth. They talk about trust but that goes hand in hand with being allowed to make mistakes while learning and not having your confidence taking a hit.

I was going to write that contracts might be playing into usage, but they are pushing Caggiula for no apparent reason and JP isn’t up until after next year.

Strome needs to work on skating this summer. It’s what is holding him back. I don’t think he’s got the boots or the wind for centre in the NHL at this point. Some of his defensive issues are from being late to the party. It’s only going to get worse for players that are slowish.

I have always wondered how you play hockey your entire life as your main focus in the world and get to the NHL with skill deficiencies like skating or handling the puck. I think that isn’t going to happen nearly as much moving forward.

22. Scungilli Slushy says:

OmJo: But Cogliano is too small for the NHL and is never going to have success in this league!!

Oops.

23. hunter1909 says:

Scungilli Slushy: When Cogs played for the Oilers he thought he was a scoring centre. It wasn’t until he was traded he chose to become a defensive specialist. Sometimes being traded changes attitudes.

I used to see Cogliano as a miniature power forward.

24. Scungilli Slushy says:

hunter1909: I used to see Cogliano as a miniature power forward.

25. OilClog says:

Nuge is still mostly playing the toughs, so slotting a winger needing his confidence built up makes all the sense in the world…. after years of watching MacT drag one line, two defenders, one goalie and a train of tag alongs to battle for years has me wondering just how good he would of been with a roster like San Jose TMac had.

There’s too much regression and on ice failure for these coaches to survive, I think Chia will survive, he’ll be able to point out how the coaches didn’t seem to have a long term plan with anything and went against his wishes with player usage.

Perron in Vegas made mention how fun it’s been to play on the same line all season long, he’s spent 8mins this year off his regular line. 4mths into the season.

Mcdavid has made mention numerous times how much he wants the same line mates game in and game out..

Lol

26. OriginalPouzar says:

Just working my way through the Wheeler article on the prospects and I loved reading this stat about Maksimov:

This season, 36 of his 43 points in the OHL are primary.

27. hunter1909 says:

Scungilli Slushy: I always wondered how come he never beat anyone one on one with that speed. Somebody here pointed out he had issues turning, lots of giddy up, not the best edges.

Like so many Oilers of the Lowe+MacT era I was fixated on his issues(eg being too small for the 1st line).

28. Professor Q says:

He *did* end up in the Hall of Fame…

29. Woodguy v2.0 says:

godot10: A good coach would play Puljujarvi with McDavid OR on the 3rd line.McLellan chooses to play him in the worst possible slot, the 2nd line with Nugent-Hopkins.

Agreed

30. bendelson says:

During his undergraduate years, my buddy Foz inherited his Gido’s Dodge Dart – the ‘Swinger’ model. He called it ‘Hef’ – though ironically, it did not do particularly well with the ladies…

31. Scungilli Slushy says:

It might be because he’s the best defensively of the wingers. They should be focusing on getting his offense going, he already gets D, and they should be wary of turning him into a checker. You have to let the youth run a bit first IMO, build confidence, then reign them in with more responsibility.

32. digger50 says:

Just finished reading the letter about Oilers fans misbehaving in Vegas. Then Bagged Milks defence of Oilers fans and finally comment after comment where Oiler fans prove they are basically ass oles

Lord it’s simple. The woman made direct observations about her own experience. She vented. Instead of attacking her, or Las Vegas. or Americans or try to self justify, why can’t we just say sorry and behave better?

The letter written casted shame onto our fan base. The fans base response confirmed that we should feel shame.

I only comment on this fine blog and throw no stones here.

33. papa96 says:

I learned to drive on my dad’s ’66 Belvedere wagon, a huge car by today’s standards, with the 225 slant 6 that put out maybe 100 horsepower. One of my friends after driving it said: “I expected the manual steering, I expected the manual brakes, but the manual accelerator?”

34. hunter1909 says:

bendelson:
    During his undergraduate years, my buddy Foz inherited his Gido’s Dodge Dart – the ‘Swinger’ model.He called it ‘Hef’ – though ironically, it did not do particularly well with the ladies…

35. Scungilli Slushy says:

hunter1909: Many muscle car owners back in the day spent their nights alone, driving up and down, then up and down again on Jasper Avenue.

What do you drive these days? 🙂

36. hunter1909 says:

Scungilli Slushy: What do you drive these days? 🙂

LOL before my time

I drive myself crazy these days, watching the Oilers.

37. Thinker says:

digger50:

Lord it’s simple. The woman made direct observations about her own experience.She vented. Instead of attacking her, or Las Vegas. or Americans or try to self justify, why can’t we just say sorry and behave better?

I only comment on this fine blog and throw no stones here.

Well we live in a province where high school dropouts can make six figures. There are always going to be stupid aholes here with too much money. I can’t believe baggedmilk would defend them. We are not a monolith. World is made up of individuals, not groups.

38. leadfarmer says:

digger50:

I only comment on this fine blog and throw no stones here.

Were sorry we came to your city and behaved like drunk belligerent a-holes.
    Signed everyone thats ever been to Vegas.

39. McSorley33 says:

OriginalPouzar,

This season, 36 of his 43 points in the OHL are primary.
    *************************************************************************************************
    Good info. – appreciate your updates on our prospects.

40. russ99 says:

Duel is a fantastic movie. May they never remake it.

Jesse is caught between what’s best for him now and winning games, which the coach needs to do to keep his job.

There’s only so many perfect setups McDavid can give him that he can’t finish before the coach starts to think, maybe it’s time to move him off Connor’s line.

Nobody develops in a straight line. Jesse has an NHL game but the puck isn’t going in the net as often as the chances he’s given would suggest. And yes the numbers do look good, but numbers and results on the ice sometime don’t mesh.

We can’t assume Yamamoto and Benson follow a similar path, different players, skillsets, body types.

Thus even though Jesse is looking to turn into a quality NHL shooter in a few years, and there’s a good chance the other two follow up in years 2-4, it behooves us to not expect that when planning for next season.

I’m not a fan of MacT by any means, but there’s lines we shouldn’t cross.

41. hunter1909 says:

russ99: Duel is a fantastic movie. May they never remake it.

Actually, a crazed Trump supporting(bumper stickers) truck chasing a VW bus driven by a SJW would make for fine entertainment.

42. Oilman99 says:

OriginalPouzar:

I’m still not sure why Todd has not gone back to Strome at 1RW at all.

43. hunter1909 says:

Strome isn’t a particularly bad or good player. If he plays the 4th line he’s going to be fine. Otherwise, he’s simply not worth paying to play on your(winning) team.

44. SwedishPoster says:

papa96,

I learned to drive in a ’66 Volvo Duett that had been custom painted with what was supposedly the end of the world with New Yorks skyline as the backdrop and for some reason a howling wolf in the front. My dad bought it from some guy who owned a car painting business for basically nothing, my dad loves weird things like that and bought it on a whim.

After having learned to drive with the old Volvo I damn near drove off the road once I got into a car with power steering.

45. Bobcaygeon says:

Woodguy v2.0: Agreed

Or, is it because T-Mac trust RNH to cover for any mistakes JP may make while also showing the young winger what it takes to be a great two way player and he’s going to learn that from RNH?

46. Material pocession says:

I’ve been happy with JP’s game. The only nitpick that I have is his propensity to take long range wrist shots. Those kind of shots rarely score and don’t often produce rebounds so are largely ineffective.

47. Bobcaygeon says:

Question……

You have 20 million in NMC two of them brutal contracts….

When your GM has lost every critical trade he’s made and now has to make trades to get the team to be competitive again?

I’m sure Bob is trying to be positive but I just don’t see it..

48. Neumann says:

I was at the game in Vegas, atmosphere was great. Met lots of great people from All over the world. Not surprised by the letter as it could happen in any stadium, in any city, in any sport, by any fan…

49. JD_Wry says:

bsmart: discontinuing your user ID

Nah – IP ban is the way to go.

50. hunter1909 says:

Bobcaygeon: How does @bob_Stauffer think the Oilers will win the cup in the next three years when

#delusional

51. ArmchairGM says:

OriginalPouzar:

This season, 36 of his 43 points in the OHL are primary.

52. Material pocession says:

Bobcaygeon:
    Question……

You have 20 million in NMC two of them brutal contracts….

I’m sure Bob is trying to be positive but I just don’t see it..

It is possible to win the Stanley Cup without the best roster in the league. They need to make the playoffs and then hope that their goalie has a major heater. It’s unlikely but not impossible. Chiarelli needs to lay off the ‘major trades’ at this point. If he can upgrade a player for a reasonable cost then he should. If he can improve the balance of the team without bleeding talent then he should. The only other way that they win in the next three years is if they hit grand slams in the next two drafts.

53. vinotintazo says:

Bobcaygeon: You have 20 million in NMC two of them brutal contracts

Russell’s Contract can be easily moved in the last 2 years. Same goes for Sekera.

I think so far Russell has been worth his contract, and Sekera will have a better season once he gets healthy.

54. Material pocession says:

Neumann:

I once went to a subway series game at Shea Stadium in Queens. Some of the comments being screamed would make a sailor blush.

55. OriginalPouzar says:

Oilman99: Strome is not fast enough tor physical enough to be a factor with McD. Jessie is the only winger with the full package to play with Connor,his experience with Lienne shows he can play with somebody that thinks at an elite level.

56. OriginalPouzar says:

ArmchairGM: Well yeah, they’re mostly goals. He’s scored something like 17 goals in his last 20 games – and only once had a multi-goal game. His consistency is most impressive.

I think he’s got one game left in his four game suspension.

I’m sure his teammates are looking forward to having Krill back on the ice.

57. Bobcaygeon says:

OriginalPouzar: While this may end up being true, you don’t know this, is pure speculation. You never know when two players will mesh.

IIRC by eye . Hall and McDavid had a tough time playing together as well.

58. Mike Wazowski says:

digger50,

In defence of Bagged Milk and most Oilers fans he did point out that the majority of Oilers fans aren’t donkeys and he did apologize to the woman that the few bad ones around her ruined her experience that night.

Every fan base has its “loud minority” that make the rest of us look bad.

59. bendelson says:

While the general level of intoxication at most Oilers games would best be described as ‘staggering’, I can say with all honesty that I have witnessed more ‘challenges’ with the parents of small children at Roger’s Place, than anything else.

Drunks can be ‘handled’ for the most part…
    A bad parent with obnoxious children? Good luck with that.

Warning: if/when confronting such a situation, actually using the term ‘bad parent’ or ‘obnoxious children’, however apt (and hilarious), WILL escalate things rather quickly.

60. SoCaloil says:

vinotintazo,

Careful w that statement
    It all depends on his level of play
    If he keeps this years level then moving him should not pose a problem

61. vinotintazo says:

SoCaloil,

Sekera looked like the best Dmen along with Klefbom from last year’s team, he was a monster in OT.

62. russ99 says:

Bobcaygeon:
    Question……

You have 20 million in NMC two of them brutal contracts….

I’m sure Bob is trying to be positive but I just don’t see it..

Definately possible, depends on how quickly they can surround the McDavid core with enough veteran support who are good at things that win in the postseason.

Pretty obvious if we keep going with the roster we have and wish that kids can step up into roles, there’s a lot better chance we’re right back here next year rather than moving towards that ultimate goal.

63. slopitch says:

Bobcaygeon:
    Question……

You have 20 million in NMC two of them brutal contracts….

I’m sure Bob is trying to be positive but I just don’t see it..

Because the core of McDavid, Drai, Klef, Nurse, JP, Nuge, Larsson is still pretty good.

People can say if this, if that but Eberle was garbage in the playoffs last year. Looking back on it he almost got benched. Moving him for Strome (knowing the current status of contract negotiations and that they needed to clean some cap) isnt crazy. Hall for Larsson, its bad. But Larssons a valuable piece on a good contract. I dislike Chai as much as most but the oilers werent as good as they seemed last year and they arent as bad as they seem now either. Most of the issues can be fixed with a reload this year. And they need to start keeping their picks and making good ones. Honestly, McDavid is that big of a difference maker. Reload, regroup and come back better.

64. hunter1909 says:

bendelson:

Drunks can be ‘handled’ for the most part…
    A bad parent with obnoxious children?Good luck with that.

Warning:if/when confronting such a situation, actually using the term ‘bad parent’ or ‘obnoxious children’, however apt (and hilarious), WILL escalate things rather quickly.

65. OriginalPouzar says:

Bobcaygeon: IIRC by eye . Hall and McDavid had a tough time playing together as well.

With that said, it was like 15-20 games if I remember.

66. OriginalPouzar says:

vinotintazo:
    SoCaloil,

Sekera is absolutely in the conversation for our “best” d-man. He has the veteran calmness about him, even under pressure.

One of the things about last year was, on any given night, any of Klefbom, Larsson or Sekera could stand out as the top d-man.

Reggie is obvious struggling this year but, to a man, we knew he was going to be a shadow of himself and likely won’t see the real Sekera until next fall.

The loss of Reggie remains a huge loss and the organization would be remiss to try and trade him (NMC waived) unless the return is solid.

I do so the potential need to trade a LHD but the order should be:

Russell
    Sekera
    Klefbom
    Nurse

Sekera is higher on the list because of age – Nurse and Klef are the left-side D of the future and need to be retained – Klef’s contract is amazing and Nurse, well, his potential is too high to trade – too much risk.

67. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Pouzar: Why do you hate me?

I can’t distinguish between love and hate.

They are the same emotion to me.

68. Woodguy v2.0 says:

OriginalPouzar: Sorry, my post didn’t read how I intended it – I wasn’t saying that he’s shown the ability to play well as 3C but that I’d like to see him given an extended shot at 3C to see if can show the ability to play well consistently as a 3C.

That makes sense.

I think they have superior options at C, but not at RW

69. Material pocession says:

hunter1909: People who can’t control their children in public should be put to death, by me.

What are you doing on Friday night? Could really use a good baby-sitter….

70. JimmyV1965 says:

But this isn’t true at all. They’re were dynamite together at the Worlds while dragging around an ineffectual Perry.

71. Truth says:

bendelson:

Drunks can be ‘handled’ for the most part…
    A bad parent with obnoxious children?Good luck with that.

I suppose it comes down to what you term an obnoxious child. Over 5-6 years old and they should know how to behave. Under that is a crap shoot. Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be allowed the experience.

After having a couple kids of my own, I will now happily punch anyone on an airplane vocalizing their disdain for infants / toddlers having a rough time during flight. Parents want nothing more than the child to be content. The thought of some A-hole telling them to calm their child down makes my blood boil. Much like the thought of the Reinhart trade.

72. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar: They did not mesh – likely due to the fact they are both primarily puck transporters.

With that said, it was like 15-20 games if I remember.

73. russ99 says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Been playing around with some scoring rates of all the forwards together.

This may be close to optimal (read: Tood will never do it)

91-97-18
    27-93-13
    19-29-98
    16-55-44

Wow, completely agree.

Any chance someone like Gambardella can step in from the AHL when we move Letestu?

74. Justthestatsman says:

bendelson:

75. Woodguy v2.0 says:

frjohnk: There should be more said about the fact we have the best center in the world who creates the most scoring opportunities, two other centers that are very good and we may not have a winger that hits 20 goals.

What would this winger group do if they had
    RNH
    Will Acton
    Anton Lander
    Boyd Gordon

as their centers?

Not sure what the wingers would do, but the local fans and media would put the blame squarely on RNH’s shoulders.

76. frjohnk says:

Hall and McDavid played 70 minutes together 5 on 5.
    56.8% CF%
    67% HDCF%
    3 goals for 2 goals against.

They played together for the 1st game of the season, but then they were split up. McLellan would at times put them together but only at certain times during the course of the year
    They actually did play well together, its just the team without those two on the ice didnt.

Oilers with McDavid and or Hall on the ice
    91 goals for 86 goals against
    Oilers with McDavid and or Hall on the ice
    43 goals for 84 goals against

77. OmJo says:

Woodguy v2.0: I can’t distinguish between love and hate.

They are the same emotion to me.

Hate to love and love to hate?

78. hunter1909 says:

frjohnk:
    Hall and McDavid played 70 minutes together 5 on 5.
    56.8% CF%
    67% HDCF%
    3 goals for 2 goals against.

They played together for the 1st game of the season, but then they were split up.McLellan would at times put them together but only at certain times during the course of the year

Oilers with McDavid and or Hall on the ice
    91 goals for 86 goals against
    Oilers with McDavid and or Hall on the ice
    43 goals for 84 goals against

So Oilers. Break up a winning combination to bolster glaring weaknesses.

79. OmJo says:

JimmyV1965: Was it 15-20 games? I thought it was more like a handful. I might be wrong, but it was a real short sample.

Could have sworn it was like… 1 or 2 games to start the season.

Before Pouliot – McDavid – Yakupov became a thing. Then it was Pouliot – McDavid – Eberle. Hall was stapled to Nuge and Draisaitl that season.

80. dustrock says:

Kournianos has his mock 1st up. Has the Oilers picking Boqvist. This is a home run I think.

81. bendelson says:

Justthestatsman: Heh, heh, sounds like advice given from past experience. That would have been fun to see…

Ha! No, sir. I was a mere witness to the onslaught – very entertaining. The poor fool didn’t know what he was stepping into… the offended parent must have been from Pittsburgh.

82. Doug McLachlan says:

Have been looking for my “way back” button all day but no luck.

Grudgingly, I may have to accept that the Barzal, Hall, Eberle trades and the Lucic, Russell signings are fixed realities. What now?

Don’t think the team is as bad as the standings indicate but the reality is we aren’t making the playoffs so besides ensuring that Nicholson’s lucky socks are near the Ping-Pong ball dispenser (#FallinForDahlin) what is the plan?

Even with all that’s gone wrong this year, we still have encouraging signs from Puljujarvi (hopefully TMac sees what we see), Nurse and, to a lesser extent, Kharia.

Oh, and McDavid could be a player.

Would hope that we keep making reasonable bets on Benning and Davidson.

Wish that Slepyshev had made Caggulia redundant but while I might make a different choice, neither is a hill to die on. If either or both can garner a return – deal. Maroon was a great story but expect that he will be dealt. Letestu is probably gone and that will create a new hole to fill but on balance I think it still makes sense to part with him.

Any on the cusp players that might be available?

Apparently the Bruins have an interest in Maroon. Doubt he gets higher than a 2nd but would the rights to Alexander Khokhlachev, currently in the KHL, be worth pursuing?

83. dustrock says:

Doug McLachlan:
    Have been looking for my “way back” button all day but no luck.

Apparently the Bruins have an interest in Maroon.Doubt he gets higher than a 2nd but would the rights to Alexander Khokhlachev, currently in the KHL, be worth pursuing?

Koko is alright but this is one of the deeper drafts this decade. Think I’d prefer to draft and rebuild the prospect pool.

84. leadfarmer says:

Significant injuries require a year to recover especially if surgery was required. Goal should be to limit Sekera’s level of competition not because he cant handle it but because he shouldnt be expected to handle it.

85. OmJo says:

Doug McLachlan,

We’re one of the teams who send Russians back to Russia, not bring them over.

Grebeshkov is the outlier.

However, if the Oilers could find some way to convince him to come over (which begs the question, why is he in Russia to begin with?) I think I’d rather a player like that then just a raw 2nd round pick – somebody who can help the team right away. We need wingers.

Considering how Boston snubbed us for Calgary with Dougie Hamilton maybe we snub them back and trade Maroon to Montreal so he can play centre. Lol.

86. Doug McLachlan says:

OmJo,

I believe he went over to Russia because he was unable to get into Julien’s line-up. Friedman had a 31 Thoughts back in November indicating he might be interested in coming back as he had good success at the AHL level and Cassidy was his coach.

Like the dealing with Montreal plan, btw.

87. OmJo says:

Doug McLachlan: Have been looking for my “way back” button all day but no luck.

This season is a lot closer to reality in terms of what this team is. In terms of injuries we haven’t really suffered anything extraordinary. This is what happens when the only move you make for your NHL team in July is signing Jussi Jokinen. Okay, and Auvitu – he’s still on the roster, right? Signed as a defenceman, now a forward because we have such great winger depth.

We didn’t improve in the summer. We were fed a lot of delicious koolaid and hype – it’s becoming an Oiler Summer Tradition – instead and turns out General Disappointment pissed it in when we weren’t looking (equivalent to the Eberle trade and the Russell contract).

This is what we are. A mediocre team. Just hope and pray that they don’t squander the development of Benson, Yamamoto, and Maksimov. That’s our future on the wing, along with Puljujarvi. Because while it’s relatively cheaper and easier to get a winger in this league than a defenceman or centre… it’s still f*cking difficult. Unless you’re trading with General Disappointment. Then it’s like an all you can eat buffet.

Better hope Nuge and Draisaitl aren’t converted to full time wingers while he’s still the general manager here.

88. dustrock says:

leadfarmer:
    Significant injuries require a year to recover especially if surgery was required.Goal should be to limit Sekera’s level of competition not because he cant handle it but because he shouldnt be expected to handle it.

Yes, and I think some of us were saying that we can’t expect Sekera to be Seksy right away, including Allan Mitchell himself.

If Chiarelli was hoping on his d lineup treading water for 20 games until Sekera came back and then expected the d corpse to perform as well as last year or better, it was just another fool’s bet.

I really had hope after we lost to the Ducks because Chiarelli said something about how our D corpse played well, but wasn’t as talented a lineup as say Nashville.

He was exactly right on that, so my expectation for the offseason was that he was going to look to improve the overall talent level.

And that was a resounding thud.

89. Justthestatsman says:

bendelson: Ha!No, sir.I was a mere witness to the onslaught – very entertaining.The poor fool didn’t know what he was stepping into…the offended parent must have been from Pittsburgh.

Awesome…life lessons are always more enjoyable when they happen to someone else!

90. Scungilli Slushy says:

Woodguy v2.0: I can’t distinguish between love and hate.

They are the same emotion to me.

What’s it like to have an emotion?

91. hunter1909 says:

OmJo: Last year was an anomaly. Extremely lucky, near perfect health, players exceeding expectations.

This is akin to anti-cheerleading.

92. JimmyV1965 says:

I think we’re a middling playoff team. Better than this year. Worse than last year. I think our dmen will be much much better next year. The big caveat is Talbot. He’s been horrific this year. He started bad, came back and played well after his injury and now he’s consistently inconsistent. Good game, bad game. Just like the Jets and Flames, and virtuality every team in the league, we probably go as far as our goalie takes us. Y

93. Oilspill says:

Really this team is 50% McDavid. If he doesn’t produce we CAN’T win. Team offense and defense and goal tending are simply not good enough.

94. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:
    Kournianos has his mock 1st up.Has the Oilers picking Boqvist.This is a home run I think.

Its kind of moot at this point though, isn’t it – I have absolutely no idea where we might pick in the first round – anywhere from 1st to like 12th seems reasonably possible.

95. Scungilli Slushy says:

Nuge for Trouba
    Yama for Hoffman or Patches
    Get a 3C
    Khaira takes over for Letestu
    Play Slepy
    Sign Grabner

Just spitballing but the team is not far off balance. Just have to be smart and make sure talent comes back. I am not a fan of trading young for old, just ideas. Maybe Yama’s nine games make him appealing. Bergevin has to be getting desperate. Melnyk wants money in the bank.

96. Scungilli Slushy says:

Scungilli Slushy:
    Nuge for Trouba
    Yama for Hoffman or Patches
    Get a 3C
    Khaira takes over for Letestu
    Play Slepy
    Sign Grabner

Oh, the cap, right.

97. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar: That pick scares me – From what I’ve read, he’s a boom or bust type pick – i see risk.

98. Thinker says:

Was just perusing past drafts, and noticed that the NYI blew a top 5 pick 3 times since 2011. That should be a firing offence for Snow.

99. hunter1909 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Oh, the cap, right.

Oilers might not be dominating scoreboards but they’re not backing down to any team, home or away which is quite a feat and Chiarelli gets props for at least giving Edmonton a bona fide team of players instead of those putrid times of yore lol

100. OmJo says:

hunter1909: This is akin to anti-cheerleading.

Jeerleading?

Though I don’t think I was rude.

It’s tough love. If I didn’t care about this team I wouldn’t be talking about it every day.

JimmyV1965: I think we’re a middling playoff team. Better than this year. Worse than last year. I think our dmen will be much much better next year. The big caveat is Talbot. He’s been horrific this year. He started bad, came back and played well after his injury and now he’s consistently inconsistent.Good game, bad game.Just like the Jets and Flames, and virtuality every team in the league, we probably go as far as our goalie takes us. Y

Goaltending is a big thing with this club for sure. I’m going to give Talbot the benefit of the doubt and say fatigue is kicking in with him. He played a staggering 142 games in the last two seasons, including playoffs, coming into this season. This is compared to the 59 (with playoffs) he played in New York as the backup, and the 126 games (including playoffs) he played in 5 AHL seasons. 178 games in 3 seasons here, I would think that takes its toll on a goaltender.

Another thing are the wingers. We need them to overachieve if we want to make the playoffs. What a waste of the best C depth in the league.

101. Scungilli Slushy says:

Thinker:

102. hunter1909 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Convince Russell that bull riding has a better future or Lucic that Montreal is far away from Vancouver bar hooligans and the poutine is to die for.

103. hunter1909 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Seems to be hard on teams. Yak busting hurt. Here’s hoping Yama gets it together soon. His talent level should be ripping the WHL up this year.

Too small. I think we’ve seen the best of him lol

104. Scungilli Slushy says:

hunter1909: Lose Lucic and Maroon and they might as well go back to the days when the Oilers were fun to play against.

105. Pescador says:

hunter1909: I hope it’s Russell who leaves and I’m an occasional fan of Russell’s. He also seems like the perfect ex-player type to offer a post-playing job to.

Shot blocking coach it is

106. Scungilli Slushy says:

hunter1909: Too small. I think we’ve seen the best of him lol

But Yak strong like bull 🙂

107. OriginalPouzar says:

Hebig with an early assist!

108. Scungilli Slushy says:

hunter1909,

Pescador,

Can designer. First NAIT, full ride.

109. hunter1909 says:

Scungilli Slushy: But Yak strong like bull 🙂

Yak was ruined by Dallas Eakins and his biologically incompetent boss MacT.

110. hunter1909 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Agreed, but speed is vital and fighting way down. They still would have Crazy Eyes, Khaira and Nurse to stand up. Maybe Maroon signs a friendly deal, I’m not sure he has a free for all in free agency the way the league is going. Slow and he isn’t scoring goals as much, no track record behind him, which I think have more $ attached than assists

111. JimmyV1965 says:

Thinker:

112. hunter1909 says:

Call me evil, but I kind of hope Barzal totally busts for the 2nd half of the season.

113. hunter1909 says:

JimmyV1965: Snow is not a good GM. He’s being bailed out by the Chiarelli line. Just wanted to use that in a sentence once. LOL.

Strange and frightening just how easily Chiarelli fits into country mode.

114. Pescador says:

Scungilli Slushy: There are so many good D I would pick a more sure bet. They can’t afford to blow picks right now, well ever. For example Bouchard.

Are you suggesting Bouchard is possibly a wasted pick?
    Or more of a sure thing?

115. JimmyV1965 says:

116. JimmyV1965 says:

hunter1909: Strange and frightening just how easily Chiarelli fits into country mode.

If we play it backwards do we get all those players back?

117. Scungilli Slushy says:

hunter1909: I’d miss those Maroon cellies. Maroon provides what Laraque used to do before he discovered higher living. He’s worth a 5 year, X3 million offer, 1 year limited nmc lol

Yup

118. Scungilli Slushy says:

Pescador: Are you suggesting Bouchard is possibly a wasted pick?
    Or more of a sure thing?

More of a sure thing, has the same skill set but is 6’2” or close. There are many smaller players in the league now but it is a disadvantage especially for D. The Ducks moved Vatanen for example. Being that short as opposed to light weight is the problem, no reach.

119. Scungilli Slushy says:

JimmyV1965: What Maroon gets in free agency will be directly related to his playoff game performance.

120. Scungilli Slushy says:

Mashup – track suit and Stetson.

121. hunter1909 says:

Great news! So the Oilers can keep him!

122. Professor Q says:

If I see one more article about Babcock, Matthews, Leafs, and proper utilization and ice time I’m going to flip.

*returns to Lowetide to continue the never ending conversation about McLellan, McDavid, Oilers, and proper utilization and ice time*

Hey, what can I say. Familiarity is home.

123. hunter1909 says:

Professor Q:

Hey, what can I say. Familiarity is home.

124. Sighduck says:

Long time (really really long time) lurker, first time poster.

I was under the impression that Vegas has some form of special lottery protection to the tune of 3rd best odds in the entry draft for the first 3 seasons. If true, what in the hell happens if Vegas makes a deep playoff run? Could they win the Stanley cup and win the draft lottery?!?!?

125. Wilde says:

I’m perusing this year’s crop of USDP players, looking at Wahlstrom and others, and Jack Hughes’ numbers are astronomical.

(Wahlstrom by the way, has 33G in 52GP, .635GPG, in range with Keller .597, Tkachuk .667, Eichel .717.)

Anyways, Jack Hughes is 17 and has 10p in 6gp, which is the point pace of a high end Keller or Kane 18yo season.

He could break Auston Matthews PPG record next year, while being a May birthday. Matthews was a September, only a few days from the cutoff.

Pray the Canucks don’t win the lottery next year.

126. Wilde says:

I’d blow it up if I were the Habs. Would you blow it up? I’d uncontrollably demolitionize that team if I was managing them. What a disaster.

127. Pescador says:

Scungilli Slushy,

I like Bouchard too, he leads all OHL d-men in points (50 -39gp) actually he’s tied with Ryan Merkley, another draft eligible.
    For once it would be nice to watch an Oiler drafted D-man play for team Canada at the WJHC. RIght toboot. I’m assuming he makes it oc.
    I don’t give a fuck that it takes a couple of years for defencemen. Same goes for forwards, how else do you propose the Oilers acquire such a player?
    Trade?
    By Chiarelli?
    No, no no no

128. OmJo says:

Sighduck:
    Long time (really really long time) lurker, first time poster.

Welcome to Bettman’s NHL

129. Professor Q says:

Pescador:
    Scungilli Slushy,

For once it would be nice to watch an Oiler drafted D-man play for team Canada at the WJHC. RIght toboot.I’m assuming he makes it oc.
    Trade?By Chiarelli?
    No, no no no

130. OriginalPouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Hebig with an early assist!

Hebig now with two assists.

131. OriginalPouzar says:

Scungilli Slushy: So 8 in 13 games , what is that? 4M. Too much for Oilers I think at his age and CMD zoom in goals.

He also had 11 in 16 and 7 in 13 with the Ducks.

He’s proven to be able to score in the playoffs.

132. OriginalPouzar says:

Pescador:
    Scungilli Slushy,

Darnell Nurse starred in that tournament as an Oiler draft pick.

133. Pescador says:

OriginalPouzar: Darnell Nurse starred in that tournament as an Oiler draft pick.

Dammit
    Just twice then,
    🙂

134. OriginalPouzar says:

Yamamoto with a 1st period goal.

Seems like he’s starting to heat up offensively.

135. OriginalPouzar says:

Check that – Kailer now with a goal and an assist in the 1st.

136. Pescador says:

Professor Q: Nurse made it one year, though he, Hall, and McDavid had been snubbed a few times. There have been others as well, I’m sure (not including Danny Syvret?).

What makes my previous comment even worse was that I watched every minute of that tournament.
    I feel shame, how will I face Pouzar now?

137. LMHF#1 says:

Surprised this hasn’t been discussed – Vegas should go for it all this year. Between the cap and the picks and everything – load up and take your chances. You never know when it would be available again.

hunter1909: Leafs are going through their own mini hell right now, and they’re having a hard time of it!

139. Dominoiler says:

If strome is your team’s 1RW, then you cheer for a team in the draft lottery, lordy..

140. OmJo says:

LMHF#1:

Agreed.

I think a Lucic and a Russell could take them over the top in the playoffs.

But they would need both of them. One isn’t enough. Fortunately we have both. What a coincidence?

141. YKOil says:

Crazy moment…

Draisaitl and Klefbom
    FOR
    Pacioretty, Gallagher and Mete

flavour with picks/cash/down-the-list prospects as needed.

Montreal gets their center and we get wingers.

YKOil:
    Crazy moment…

Draisaitl and Klefbom
    FOR
    Pacioretty, Gallagher and Mete

flavour with picks/cash/down-the-list prospects as needed.

Montreal gets their center and we get wingers.

A certifiably crazy moment.

143. Scungilli Slushy says:

godot10: The “mini-hell” the Leafs are going through is 3rd place in their division and 10 points ahead of 4th.

The cap will catch up to them soon enough. Starting next year IIRC.

144. Scungilli Slushy says:

Sighduck:
    Long time (really really long time) lurker, first time poster.

I thought one year

145. Scungilli Slushy says:

The cap will catch Vegas too at some point. It’s an efficiency contest as speeds says, for GMs. So far not so good for PC.

Russell
    Lucic
    Kassian
    Soon Strome
    Drai

146. JimmyV1965 says:

I actually meant for whatever team he’s in the playoffs with this year.

147. OmJo says:

Scungilli Slushy:

Russell
    Lucic
    Kassian
    Soon Strome
    Drai

The NHL should do away with the cap.

148. Wilde says:

LMHF#1:

The fans and media would destroy McPhee, but their entire org would be stacked in talent from last year, this year and next year’s insane overage in draft picks.

149. Melvis says:

Woodguy v2.0: I can’t distinguish between love and hate.

They are the same emotion to me.

What becomes of the broken hearted?…sung in that Jimmy Ruffin style.

Sighduck:
    Long time (really really long time) lurker, first time poster.

Welcome! I don’t recall that rule but it’s convoluted enough to be Bettman true. Please post more!

151. Wilde says:

Scungilli Slushy:

Russell
    Lucic
    Kassian
    Soon Strome
    Drai

Vegas would have to leap face-first into pants-on-head retardation for like, 8 negotiations in a row before they’re in cap trouble.

Let’s see if they can do it in less than 3 summers, for the new record.

152. LMHF#1 says:

Wilde: This would be highly unpopular for at least 2 years, but I’d still dump every single UFA on that team.

Not the thing to do in a cap league.

Take your shot now.

And it has nothing to do with the fans and media – it’s the smart choice.

153. Wilde says:

LMHF#1: Not the thing to do in a cap league.

Take your shot now.

And it has nothing to do with the fans and media – it’s the smart choice.

It’s exactly the thing to do in a cap league. If they deal Neal and Perron, they be so flush with talent, that they’ll have multiple chances later on.

What if they load up and get Halak’d?

Multiple shots at the cup will always beat one quality one. The odds are always against you winning the cup.

154. Sighduck says:

Thanks, A bit tough to keep up with the time difference (Canadian but living in New Zealand) but I always make sure I read everything.

Obviously a hugely disappointing season when you think about what was achieved last season. Has been really strange how the team has been able to hang 8-10 points back of the pack for what seems like 2 months!

As was usual during the DoD there will come a point in this season where hoping for the flames missing the playoffs will become as important as the rest of the Oil season (Edmonton born and bred)

155. Wilde says:

LT I’ve been meaning to ask you and the others here this:

If it comes to pass that PC is not the Oilers GM on draft day, do you think that that Edmonton’s draft changes? Or will the skeleton of the player personnel staff still be in place, along with the amateur scouts?

Maybe the ‘statement’ move of the new GM ends up being a draft day trade, up or down?

156. €v¥£€us says:

Jesse the outdoor rink shinny legend!

For those who did hear, Jesse dropped by a neighbourhood outdoor rink unannounced to play shinny with some kids the other day.

While most of the team flew away to a beach or warmer places, Jesse stayed in E-town and gave a handful of kids an amazing memory for the rest of their lives.

I love this kid!

157. €v¥£€us says:

Sighduck,

Welcome Sighduck!

Post more!

Tell us about your experiences living abroad please!

158. Wilde says:

€v¥£€us:
    Jesse the outdoor rink shinny legend!

I love this kid!

Everything about JP brings welcome warmth to my cold, lifeless Oilers heart.

Wilde:

LT I’ve been meaning to ask you and the others here this:

160. Wilde says:

Lowetide: The list will be final final I imagine, teams change out scouts after a draft year is in the books. I don’t expect a complete overhaul, so the amateur scouts may not change at all. This is still a relatively new staff, suspect PC and TMac (plus the rest) get another year.

I was of a similar mind until the synchronised pitchfork sharpening by several media members, thinking then that it would be PC gone and Todd would stay. Unless they managed to fall into the Buffalo-Arizona gaggle under his coaching.

It’s quieter out there now, but the feeling remains.

161. Sighduck says:

One wonders what a year of patience with Krueger or Nelson at the helm might have yielded…

162. GMB3 says:

Thinker:

Not when you have Peter Chiarelli to cover your sins

163. OriginalPouzar says:

Skinner stops 24 of 26 in a 3-2 win.

He’s having a great start with Swift Current.

164. Pouzar says:

Pescador: I feel shame, how will I face Pouzar now?

You are dead to me.