G47 2017-18: Canucks at Oilers

This is the first Saturday in my lifetime Red Fisher won’t be with us. I never met Mr. Fisher, but I read him and heard him, for years saw him weekly on television. My connection to the NHL, aside from HNIC, came from men like Fisher, Jim Proudfoot, Jim Taylor, Frank Orr, Stan Fischler, Ken McKenzie (THN), Leo Monahan, Bill Libby, Bob Verdi. Guys like Cam Cole, Jim Matheson and Eric Duhatschek were later on, this is early 1970’s. Bruce McCurdy will tell you the names I missed.

In all seriousness, the amount of hockey writing in my youth was a trillionth of what finds the light of day annually today. I had to borrow money to buy a book in 1973 called “The Complete Encyclopedia of Ice Hockey” by Zander Hollander and Hal Bock, and my Dad made me pay him back. It was a combination of hockey-reference and the HHOF bio’s that are available (and beautiful, with photos) online.

The best books were ones with inside info, like the Imlach books with Scott Young (another fabulous writer).

My favorite was probably the Proudfoot annuals, they gave thumbnail sketches on the major players for each team. Here’s one: Wayne Cashman. “Some people call me an animal and I don’t think that’s fair. I do know what my job in hockey is. I go into the corners and I fight for the puck, and I even things up if somebody starts pushing other guys around. If I don’t do those things, I don’t stay in the league.”  Proudfoot wrote more but you didn’t need it. That’s Wayne Cashman!

I love the modern way but I miss those guys and those days. I’ll miss Red Fisher every Saturday. It’s hockey night in Canada.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

Jonathan Willis doesn’t need me to trumpet his stuff but the item today (mid-season forwards review) is absolutely incredible.

PUNCH IMLACH

When our first choice came, one player available was Laurie Boschman. He’d played with Brandon, centering a line with Brian Propp and Ray Allison on the wings. Even though Boschman was the center, I said “Propp got all the goals. I think we should go with the goal scorers.” But the scouts said Boschman did all the work and was the smart one on the line. I’d been in that situation in Buffalo once, picking a kid named Claude Deziel who had scored a lot in junior on a line centered by Pierre Larouche. Later, Deziel never played in the NHL. Larouche did, and scored plenty. So when the Leafs scouts told me Boschman was the guy who made their line work, I had to think of Larouche.

• “Can he skate?” I asked.
  • “Good skater,” they said.

So that’s how Boschman was taken and when you figure Propp got 34 goals for Philadelphia and Boschman got 16 for the the Leafs maybe we were wrong in the choice.

-Punch Imlach, Heaven and Hell in the NHL

Scouts don’t get to write history, and those who do (the General Managers and coaches) make a horrible mess. A few things about the quote above:

• That item above is lifted directly, save for a small punctuation change to make more sense of the first two sentences.
  • “Claude Deziel” didn’t get drafted in 1974 by Buffalo, but Michel Deziel did get picked 47th overall. Pierre Larouche went 8th, three slots before Buffalo picked the first time. Imlach was just making stuff up, Larouche was never available to the Sabres.
  • He did get one thing right: the Leafs blew it. Boschman was taken 9th overall, in front of Propp, Mark Messier, Glenn Anderson, Michel Goulet, Neal Broten, John Ogrodnick, Thomas Steen, Mats Naslund, Guy Carbonneau and a bunch of others who had better careers.
Is there a lesson here for scouts? Sure. Get it right, or become famous enough to write your own book.

RED RUM, YEAR OVER YEAR

• January 2016: 3-2-2, goal differential -3 (8 points)
  • January 2017: 4-3-0, goal differential -3 (8 points)
  • January 2018: 3-4-0, goal differential -10 (6 points)

G8 in 2015-16 was a 4-2 win over the Florida Panthers, and in 2016-17 Edmonton won 3-1 over the Arizona Coyotes. Edmonton has a real chance to win tonight, they are the more talented team even without RNH. A two-game winning streak before the bye week perhaps gives this team momentum, but predicting this team’s future performance is like eating spaghetti with a spoon.

AFTER 47, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 18-23-5, goal differential -26 (41 points)
  • Oilers 16-17: 24-15-7, goal differential +9 (55 points)
  • Oilers 17-18: 20-23-3, goal differential -21 (43 points)

G47 in 2015-16 was that 4-2 win over Florida above and a year later it was a 4-3 win over the Florida Panthers. I don’t think we’re going to see a 10-game winning streak but a good performance in the next three games at home should be expected.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM JANUARY

• At home to: Los Angeles, Anaheim (Expected 0-1-1) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: Dallas, Chicago, Nashville, Arizona, Vegas (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 2-3-0)
  • At home to: Vancouver, Buffalo, Calgary (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 4-4-2, 10 points in 10 games
  • Current results: 3-4-0, six points in seven games

It’s there for this Oilers team, a 2-1-0 week gets the club 10 points in 10 games. I don’t think we’re looking at a playoff spring, but 82-85 points should be possible. Tonight is going to be interesting, I believe fans should expect a strong effort and two points.

Bear is having a fine rookie season in the AHL, all three (Caleb Jones and Ryan Mantha) of the new kids on the block are showing well enough to be considered legit prospects.

• Ethan Bear (age 20) 22gp, 3-8-11 .50 points-per-game
  • Caleb Jones (age 20) 38gp, 1-12-13 .34 points-per-game
  • Ryan Mantha (age 21) 36gp, 3-7-10 .28 points-per-game

All three men are posting good offensive numbers (Bear has four PP assists, Jones three and one shorthanded assist, Mantha a shorthanded goal and two assists) and the rookies are the most potent offensive defensemen in Bakersfield as rookies.

• Jeff Petry (age 22) 41gp, 7-17-24 .59 points-per-game (2-10-12PP; 1-0-1PK)
  • Taylor Chorney (age 21) 68gp, 5-16-21 .31 points-per-game (3-10-13PP)
  • Cody Wild (age 21) 59gp, 4-14-18 .31 points-per-game (2-10-12PP)

This is a trio of college blue we tracked tirelessly back in the day, trying to find the player who would emerge (it was Petry). Chorney was born a decade too early, his skill set fits the modern game very well (he’s still in the league because of it). Cody Wild never made it, but Jeff Petry is a fine player who delivered on all promise. I have a feeling this current Edmonton trio is going to deliver at least one fine defenseman, too.

414 Responses to "G47 2017-18: Canucks at Oilers"

« Older Comments
  1. Wilde says:

hunter1909,

WHL games are played at the same time as PAC NHL games, not sure when else it’s supposed to be posted

2. hunter1909 says:

Wilde:
    hunter1909,

lol sorry at my bad joke

3. N64 says:

Zelepukin:
    I more than welcome the potential meme of, all things going well for the Oil are a direct result of Coffey.

Hoped he packed a toothbrush. If he keeps this up Gallant will ask 97 to bring hm to Tampa.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

hunter1909: Can’t “we” keep from dwelling on prospects immediately after NHL games? lol

I will continue to post updates on real time – thank you for your input though.

P.S. The community host does the same thing – you going to suggest he doesn’t as well or just me?

5. hunter1909 says:

OriginalPouzar: I will continue to post updates on real time – thank you for your input though.

Lowetide knows better than to mess with me.

: p

6. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar: I would call it discussing, personally.

Late reply (just got home from work) that was the word I was thinking of but just couldn’t think of it at the time.

Was gonna say conversing but that’s kinda weird.

7. Mike Wazowski says:

Wilde,

It looked like Pool was skating back to cover but Sutter got his stick in Pool’s skates and took him down. Presto! 2-on-1.

You continue to post on the prospects, fine sir. 🙂

9. OriginalPouzar says:

That was a fun and entertaining game last night – I don’t even care that its led to < 4 hours sleep – sleep is overated.

Some positives:

1) played very good as team coming out of the break

2) no sag after Van tied it up – kept working

3) Drai driving a line as a center (had some help for the young Finish kid)

4) Jesse having his best ever game away from 97 – its HUGE that he can be a factor away from 97

5) Maroon had a solid game – him scoring is indeed great on many levels

7) Nurse and Larsson were unreal last night

8) PK looked good at home – I know they gave up the one goal (got caught tired and it was deflected) but, as a group, I thought they were aggressive but not over-aggressive.

9) Week off seemed to help some of the banged up players – Larsson, Kassian (finally throwing hits)

10) Klef was OK but I though Benning was pretty strong

11) Hardly noticed Kris Russell

12) I though the third line was very good – Strome was all over the puck and creating multiple chances in the offensive zone. He missed the net a few times in tight but, if he can play like that consistently, I'll be very happy.

On the other hand, the PP was still atrocious except for the last one.

10. deardylan says:

hunter1909: Is there any more to it than a “who can hit hardest while taking the most beatings back” contest?

Which is why I like Lucic so much. Watching him intimidate the other team is better than watching most actual fights.

Hunter,

Yes I agree perception of intimidation is almost better than reality. Maybe that is why Spielberg Truck movie is still being talked about generations later!

The Oilers kicked Vancouver ass and Puju got a 9 Cult of Hockey Rating. Love reading that over and over again. That pass he threaded made me and thousands gasp in wowstacy!

The two UFC matches were fun. The 2nd match way better Olympic almost 40 Cormier destroyed a guy ten year younger and way fitter than him with both aggressive punches and choke holds. You can try to punch your way out though when there is a juijitsu guy who can knock you unconscious pressing your trachea with with forearm/leg/hands/wrist/head/neck or many other part of his body it is game over and absolutely NO BETTMAN POINT.

Second match the former homeless guy now contender couldn’t handle the journeymans kicks to his legs while boxing and he crumbled with 101-1 punches while on the ground. I lost count. He still made it through 5 rounds and could hardly stand his endurance was shot. The best part about it is when he learns wisdom through his wounding defeat and comes back to claim his destiny and win the title for Cameroon and France.

WAITING FOR THE REMATCH…and waiting for Oilers draft, moves, trades and building for next season.

Nurse and Puju ratings keep marching like the saints…higher and higher and higher!

11. ArmchairGM says:

hunter1909: Patio Ready is his Montreal nickname. Why? Because he vanishes in the playoffs, when the going gets tougher.

12. hunter1909 says:

ArmchairGM: You have to GET to the playoffs first, and Pacioretty can certainly help with that. Only Ovechkin has significantly more goals over the past 4-1/2 seasons.

I thought “we” recently traded away a ‘playoff choke artist’. Only Lowe+MacT would be so insane as to want to trade for another one.

« Older Comments