His Judgement Cometh, and that right soon!

The Edmonton Oilers can’t possibly be this bad. What a ghastly performance last night. There were times in the past, when this team, outgunned from man 1 through man 21, would at least work their collective nuts off for 60 minutes. Whatever happened to this team, enough. This team is unwatchable, incomprehensible and, incredibly, incapable, despite having the best player on the planet.

This isn’t the time for the “I’m not mad, I’m disappointed” dad speech, this is the time for the “if you want to live under my roof” speech. People pay real money, hard earned dollars for those tickets purchased, and every damned one of them deserves a refund on last night’s ticket. Even the guy who won $600,000 on the 50/50. Awful. Just awful. Shame!

On the morning of November 6, 2017, I wrote what appears below. The song remains the same as it ever was, save for the security of the general manager and the coach:

The Edmonton Oilers are a team in the National Hockey League. That effort yesterday at Rogers Place has to be a concern to the organization. Have they tuned out the coach? Is the team sagging because the home cooking goaltending is subpar? Watching the Oilers body language after the second GA was like watching the Philadelphia Phillies after Mitch Williams walked the based loaded: Shoulders sagging, impending doom. This isn’t even mostly on the goalie, but the Edmonton Oilers simply aren’t right and that’s one area (home G) of concern.

If we continue with the early malaise, perhaps we see something rash, but this is the absolute worst time to make a move. While we’re on the subject, I do not believe the coach (or general manager) are in danger. The 103-point season buys Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan the rest of this season and into next, in my opinion, and the general manager gets at least one more coach before he’s through. The next big name out of town is a lefty blue, pretty sure.

Todd McLellan: “We worked hard for two years to get (the belief system) up. It’s being tested and we have to put some performances together.”Source

His judgement cometh, and that right soon! McLellan’s quote here was repeated last night. The coach talked about bad habits coming back and my oh my that was just stunningly bad last night. Has this team quit on its coach? I’m never going to pretend to know that kind of thing but the on-ice product looks like the players don’t give a rat’s ass about the coach or the fans. I know that isn’t true, these are proud athletes and they are feeling it today. If I could, I would ask each of the role players to look at the 2009-10 Oilers and have a good long look at just how many players lost their NHL careers or saw them derailed that season. Robert Nilsson, Gilbert Brule, Patrick O’Sullivan, these are still young men today who could not wash the reputation from their resume. Since 2006 summer, the Edmonton Oilers are the place careers go to die. I thought they were beyond that but this season is going to have an impact on many players and hockey people. The Edmonton Oilers: You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

RED RUM, YEAR OVER YEAR

• January 2016: 4-3-2, goal differential -3 (10 points)
  • January 2017: 6-3-0, goal differential 0 (12 points)
  • January 2018: 4-5-0, goal differential -12 (8 points)

AFTER 48 GAMES, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 19-24-5, goal differential -26 (43 points)
  • Oilers 16-17: 25-15-8, goal differential +10 (58 points)
  • Oilers 17-18: 21-24-3, goal differential -23 (45 points)

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM JANUARY

• At home to: Los Angeles, Anaheim (Expected 0-1-1) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: Dallas, Chicago, Nashville, Arizona, Vegas (Expected 2-2-1) (Actual 2-3-0)
  • At home to: Vancouver, Buffalo, Calgary (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • Overall expected result: 4-4-2, 10 points in 10 games
  • Current results: 4-5-0, eight points in nine games

Two more points for Kailer Yamamoto last night, he’s catching up to last year’s totals. Of course, he should end up well past last season’s points-per-game so there’s miles to go.

• 2016-17: 65gp, 42.57-99 (1.52)
  • 2017-18: 18gp, 6-17-23 (1.28)

He’s rolling now, you’d like to see more goals but in his last 6 games he is 5-8-13. Strong. If Edmonton has a chance to draft Oliver Wahlstrom at the 2018 draft, do they? Even with Jesse Puljujarvi and Kailer Yamamoto as part of the future? I bet they do.

CHIARELLI’S SUMMER LIST

• Finalize long term deal for Connor McDavid. Done, and a value deal.
  • Finalize long term deal for Leon Draisaitl. Done, the price was too dear.
  • Negotiate the expansion draft rapids without giving up a valuable piece of the future. Griffin Reinhart.
  • Find a second pairing RHD with two-way acumen. Unable to fill hole.
  • Find a stopgap measure to replace Andrej Sekera’s minutes. Kris Russell
  • Find a C-R who can help the offense and mirror Leon. Ideally a first-person shooter. Ryan Strome
  • Make enough cap room to get everyone in under the number with enough room to spare for the trade deadline. Eberle for Strome

On June 30, I wrote “This fall, if Peter Chiarelli doesn’t add any veteran help up front, we’re going to see a bunch of youngsters getting 600 at-bats. This is bad. Why? Well, some of these fellows will work out and others will not and we simply don’t know who’s who.” Source

That’s basically what happened this season. You may or may not care, but for me this is important because it addresses Chiarelli’s thinking. Looking back, it appears he was worried enough about a Leon Draisaitl offer sheet to both:

• Trade Eberle for Strome and some cap relief
  • Spend July 1 signing Ty Rattie, et al, and not pushing for feature players.

So, the Oilers reach the deadline with a giant amount of cap room, all dressed up with no place to go. I think we can safely say three things about Peter Chiarelli:

• He devoted very little resources to the 2017-18 season
  • All of his bets backfired
  • He’s going to get fired

The price he’ll pay will be known, probably in April. I have mentioned this before but expect a new general manager to be in place and my bet is Wayne Gretzky. If he wants it, and my guess is he’ll take on the role if he’s not seen as being the architect of Peter Chiarelli’s demise. That seems a distant bell (no one is going to frame the issue as ’99 plotted against management’) and with that we’re looking at an April announcement with Keith Gretzky or other as the day-to-day boots on the ground general. That’s the way I see it, anyway. Is that a better plan? The mystery will be mighty on this one, we once again will have no real history to guide the future.

As for the coach, I’ve spent much of the season thinking he would be fired in the morning. I admit to feeling that way this morning, but the longer he lasts the more likely (imo) the Gretzky regime begins with McLellan as the coach. We wait for a transcendental summer, even by Oilers standards.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. We’ll have plenty of time for you to vent and maybe a news item or two. Scheduled to appear:

• Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. We’ll talk about last night and the way forward.
  • Corey Graham, Oil Kings PBP. The Oil Kings are turning a corner with a young and talented roster.
  • Jeff Krushell, Krush Performance. Corruption in sport, baseball, and massive winning streaks in leagues where all teams seem to be about the  same level of quality.
  • Open Line. Bring it.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.

249 Responses to "His Judgement Cometh, and that right soon!"

« Older Comments
  1. JD_Wry says:

Scungilli Slushy: But in sports related billionaires meetings…

… he with the biggest amount of public dollars in his pocket, laughs last.

2. Wilde says:

JimmyV1965: Agreed. We still have some good assets, but can the mngt team build a winner? Unless Chia pulls off some magic it will take three years to rebuild the farm system. Just to make the playoffs next year they have to add a solid dman and at least one 25 goal winger. And that’s assuming Talbot rebounds, which is a huge question mark.

3. edoil1 says:

Do not comment often but I think the main problem with the current group is too many managers hanger ons etc.for certain all these guys on the Katz payroll are creating paralysis by analysis. I mean what the he’ll is Howsen still doing there ? then also Lowe and McT and Bob and Wayne and Peter and Keith etc etc.I mean how can they even control or make proper decisions with too many cooks spoiling the stew.The young kids need one good voice not 20.They are number 1 in one thing too many opinions.

4. Scungilli Slushy says:

JD_Wry: … he with the biggest amount of public dollars in his pocket, laughs last.

I’m not sure you might realize how much pissing contests mean to hyper competitive people. You don’t become a billionaire being otherwise.

5. JD_Wry says:

Scungilli Slushy: might realize

6. Scungilli Slushy says:

JimmyV1965: Unless Chia pulls off some magic it will take three years to rebuild the farm system.

7. Scungilli Slushy says:

8. JimmyV1965 says:

Wilde: The current roster + Yamamoto + a couple veteran FA’s plugging holes until we run out of cap space will make the playoffs next year with competent deployment and average special teams.

9. Scungilli Slushy says:

JD_Wry: Might and did. $$$$$ mean more than winning a game that amounts to little more than killing time between truck and beer commercials.

I do think they are embarrassed by team failure as well when it is chronic. I also agree it is probably a pat on the back from other owners when you get the fans (and non fans) to pay for the arena.

10. JimmyV1965 says:

Scungilli Slushy: Given the age of the core there isn’t an issue with the top 6 forwards and 3 of the top 4 D. Vets can plug bottom roster holes affordably if those there now can’t pick it up.

On defence, I think we have Nurse and Larsson as legit top four guys. I think we can assume one of Sek and Klef will redisover their game. So we need anothet top four guy, or at least a rock solid number five.

It’s doable to guess, but how do you acquire those assets?

11. Wilde says:

JimmyV1965: I just hope they let Yammer spend development time in the minors. We have to break this habit of rushing young guys in.

12. Hockey Project says:

Last night, for the first time in this never-ending rebuild, I turned off the game after the 2nd period, and spent that time reading. I’ve eaten every shit sandwich this team has served up over that time, and without so much as taking a period off here or there. Oh, I was beside myself at times, and ready to turn a table over, but I watched it all.

But, no… Last night they made me tap out on a game for the first time, because I couldn’t bear to endure it at that time. There’s that truism we hear about knowing you’re in trouble with your wife if you’ve been going through a rough patch, and she can’t even work up the energy to get mad or sad, and is instead apathetic. I’m feeling a bit like that right now.

It’s just so awful to see this team squander such a magnificent hockey player.

13. Wilde says:

JimmyV1965: Who’s in our top 6 next year? McDavid, Drai and RNH. You can’t assume JP is there. Lucic maybe. I think we need at least one 25-goal guy because I can’t see one winger who delivers that for sure.

It’s doable to guess, but how do you acquire those assets?

The thing about acquiring 25 goal guys is that when you have McDavid, the acquisition price is Martin Gernat.

14. CrazyCoach says:

Scungilli Slushy: When they pull the plug the plug I want to see all long term health issues addressed ASAP. If Oscar needs a surgery get it on. Larsson as well, let the back get to 100% or that will nag him through his career. Sekera needs to be in physio and training to get his thing back.

Totally agree with you.

Injuries are tricky. I used to always follow the rules of 100% strength, 100% range of motion, 100% free of pain, and 100% mentally ready.

It’s easy to measure strength, range of motion, while pain is a little tougher to measure. There are all sorts of field tests that you can use to make a determination and a good athletic training staff will help a coach make that determination. However, how do you determine when an athlete is ready mentally? Mental readiness is such a subjective measurement and of course each player is different. Some react well to injuries.

Then of course there is the pressure that comes from management to play and perform. It sounds callous and harsh, but these players are viewed as a commodity and commodity that sits, is a worthless commodity. Way back in my university days when I took a course in athletic therapy, we had the pleasure of meeting an older gent who was on the training staff for the BC Lions for years. He was there primarily to show us how to tape ankles (something he could do in about 15 seconds. Amazing). At that time, he had retired from pro sports and gone back to volunteer with junior A teams. When we asked him why he didn’t continue with the pros, his response was quick and to the point. He said that he was tired of being told to get athletes ready by GM’s and owners when he knew they weren’t ready. It was an eye opener for all of us.

I know things are different these days what with players unions and agents, but part of me also knows that these players are often under a lot of pressure to play, especially when a playoff spot is on the line.

However, if the season is a washout, why not prioritize the health of your team?

15. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

“I’ve seen better penalty-killing at the Icecapades.”

Ha ha ha. Gold. Goofy and Donald, you’re up next!

16. Wilde says:

CrazyCoach:

McLellan’s coaching for his current job, and, perhaps his NHL career.

You could say the same about the GM.

That’s the factor that makes this otherwise reasonable course of action the most unlikely.

17. OmJo says:

CrazyCoach: Maybe bring up some kids/ wily veterans from Bakersfield and give them a nice bonus in the form of NHL minutes and NHL play?

Would like to see Rattie and Simpson get looks this season.

18. CrazyCoach says:

Wilde: McLellan’s coaching for his current job, and, perhaps his NHL career.

You could say the same about the GM.

And if they don’t make the playoffs and a guy gets hurt a little more because of it, it makes that rift between player and coach just a little wider.

19. Wilde says:

CrazyCoach: Yup, and that’s why they’d be willing to throw a players health/future out the window to save their own asses.

The first few games that Sekera was back and got easily beaten on outside drives by average NHL forwards was the smoking gun.

How do you not see that in practices? He should have been turned inside out by some of the forwards on this team. How do you see that and not put him on a conditioning stint?

Edit: also I’m more speaking as to the standings at seasons’ end than an actual playoff berth, Todd will be coaching this team to attempt to drive to 85-89 points rather than 70-75 because it will look better if his squad finishes strong.

But it will be worse for both the draft and the players health, two key long term factors for this org.

20. CrazyCoach says:

Wilde: How do you not see that in practices? He should have been turned inside by some of the forwards on this team. How do you see that and not put him on a conditioning stint?

Part of the code among team mates would be my guess. Just as one wouldn’t step up and hammer a team mate with a hit, you let up with the speed.

21. CrazyCoach says:

But I digress, because my oldtimers game awaits.

Night folks!

22. JimmyV1965 says:

Wilde: Bringing in the player for 9 games this year could be labelled as a rush, but having him on the team next year would be standard practice in the modern NHL.

23. JimmyV1965 says:

Wilde: Yes, you can assume JP is there. He’d be more than on pace for 20 goals if he was playing with 97.

24. deardylan says:

Not much more I could add after reading Lowetides opening remarks especially these lines.

“This team is unwatchable, incomprehensible and, incredibly, incapable, despite having the best player on the planet.”

Incredible to read those words and agree with them.

Of course at the same time I am loving the drama created by these unknowable unbettable consistently-inconsistently-consistent oilers who can string a winning streak or losing stink within the same week or within the same penalty kill and powerplay.

You can’t write this script unless your the tweeter of PC unverified account. Such a WILD rollercoaster ride. I feel bad people losing money although when you connect the dots a season’s ticket is a BIG BIG gamble no matter what 50/50 they present.

When OP doesn’t start the next days blog with an optimistic and Go Oilers Go comment or any comment know we have reached a new allstar lowbreak.

I got 99 problems and Oilers are the least of them.

25. Wilde says:

JimmyV1965: That may be the case for the exceptional talents and guys drafted early, but not for most first rounders. Only 10 players from the 2016 first round are playing now and only 16 from the 2015 draft are playing now. The Oilers really need to start erring on the side of caution.

Exceptional talents play straight out of the draft.

And most of the other guys you’re mentioning are CHL scorers with around Yamamoto’s numbers, or below.

JimmyV1965: I hope JP is a 25-goal guy next year, but do we want Chia making even more bets on young guys? I think the prudent route is to pencil him in on the third line and ease him in with soft minutes.

It’s less of a bet when it’s his pace. The only unproven here is will it NOT stay on pace. We may not get to find that out if Todd doesn’t allow the possibility, though.

Chiarelli’s failed bets were on giys like Caggiula and Slepyahev who were never in the same stratosphere as JP’s in terms of prospective NHL likelyhood.

Also JP is beyond his years defensively and doesn’t need to be sheltered, aside from the fact that generational players provide shelter of their own.

26. JimmyV1965 says:

Wilde: Exceptional talents play straight out of the draft.

It’s less of a bet when it’s his pace. The only unproven here is will it NOT stay on pace.We may not get to find that out if Todd doesn’t allow the possibility, though.

I just think it’s a big mistake to play Yammer in the NHL next year. Same with counting on JP in the top 6. These are the things that have killed this team over the years. We continually rush players to the NHL to fill holes on the roster, rather than letting them develop in the minors.

I sincerely hope this practice stops. I think it’s the single biggest reason for the D of D.

27. Georges says:

McLellan is on his second HC job.

There are 9 coaches who started their careers in the 2000-01 season or later and coached 3 or more teams. I’m going to exclude John Torchetti, who never coached a complete season.

Coach, First Team P%, Second Team P%, Best Playoff Performance w/ First 2 Teams

Boudreau, .672, .648, 11 Wins
    Julien, .531, .646, 4 Wins
    Gallant, .430, .586, 2 Wins
    Therrien, .500, .555, 14 Wins
    Babcock, .521, .649, Cup
    DeBoer, .492, .542, 14 Wins
    Laviolette, .546, .570, Cup
    Carlyle, .588, .535, Cup

Apart from Gallant, by the time these coaches got their third gig, either they had made it to the Finals or had an above .600 P% with their second team. Gallant was just shy of .600.

Here’s what McLellan’s post 2nd team resume would look like if he was let go tomorrow:

McLellan, .637, .514, 9 Wins

Gallant hasn’t coached Connor McDavid or a close to his prime Joe Thornton.

But, to be fair, McLellan hasn’t coached Deryk Engelland for 46 games and 19:45 a night either.

So, yeah… must be the horses…

28. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

I think that many have touched on this point, but I don’t see a specific formula to development.

A 9 game NHL stint might work for one player but not for another.

The Oilers have been all over the map.

Darnell: He has his 8-game look and then was sent down. It has taken him a long time to crawl back up, but D take longer. Was this the right call?

Leon: half a season–burned a year of his ELC, did not burn a year of his RFA status but team paid through the nose on the second deal. It LOOKS like half a season worked out well for Leon, but it was kind of strange decision-making that they “did him a favour” yet he still took the team for every last dollar.

Jesse: burn a year oh his ELC. Remains to be seen how this works out. It seems like the Oilers probably had a handshake deal so he would burn a year of the ELC and then go down to the AHL even though they could have started him out in the AHL as a European League player. Probably so he would be here a year early rather than stay in Finland. Probably the right call/

Drake: He could definitely have used some time in the AHL. Did they make a deal coming out of college that he would be in the League full time? Are the Oilers making too many deals?

Kailer: He certainly struggled after being sent down. Jury’s out on how this one plays out.

All the 1st rounders get this 8-game or half-season look in their Draft +1 year. No later round picks have received that treatment. Is that fair? Is that earned? Is giving an 18 or 19 year old immediate NHL time the right call in all these cases?

Seems like each situation and player should be handled in the best way possible for the long-term. Are the Oilers doing that? It’s interesting to see. They seem to be doing better at slowly bringing their D along. Do they rush it a bit with the forwards?

29. Wilde says:

JimmyV1965: Not sure what you’re saying about the CHL. Most guys drafted after 10 OV, regardless of league, do not play in the NHL after two years.

30. Georges says:

Wow, I just read what you wrote up there.

Thankfully, Gretzky knows what those look like.

GM’s get at least two coaches. Just ask Tambellini. He got 3.

31. OriginalPouzar says:

Yamamoto with a couple of goals – that’s 6 straight multi point games.

They shut out the Giants, 5-0, so no points for Benson.

32. OriginalPouzar says:

Yup – management needs to make an astute trade or signing to plug a top 6 winger role without relying on the new pro prospects.

Even a lower end move to acquire a 3C allowing Nuge/Drai to both play in the top 6 would work.

33. OriginalPouzar says:

I wonder who starts in goal tonight?

I wonder what Oiler team shows up?

Go Oilers!

34. GMB3 says:

Wilde: Yeah we’re gonna continue to disagree because you aren’t going to look at the draft lists. Name a CHLer with 1.5PPG in his draft year who went back in his draft year +2 presasons’ end.

35. GMB3 says:

Wilde:
    Georges,

He endlessly insulted the character and will of a roster of players who were ruthlessly ravaged by injury, was complicit in all but four being shipped out of town, and now has a similar record with a healthier team.

I’m glad there’s an example now in hockey history of what happens when you let a glass banging fan’s fantasy come true: skilled players sold, gritty veterans brought in, highest hitting team in the league.

The results won’t change their mind because they don’t want to change their mind, I STILL see people blaming the players especially the skilled ones, but I will always have the story of what happens when you sell hockey players for alleged character.

Just wish it wasn’t the team I cheer for it had to happen to.

Great post. The glass-bangers. Spot on. Fuck those guys

36. frjohnk says:

Georges: If the Oilers fire PC and keep McLellan, we’ll be the Mickey Mousiest of organizations.

Chias GMing stands out worse for majority of the media and fans than TMacs coaching. Chia has made some bold moves over the years that do not look good. I dont need to list them again but they do stand out. TMac on the other hand, has had very good teams in San Jose cover up some of his sins and I think that has given him some shade for now.

Fan A could put a list of Chias failed moves like many have done, a person could look at it, and say “yup, load the cannon”

Fan B could put a list of TMacs failings as a coach like you have, and one could look at it and say “yup, load the cannon.

Up until reading your posts, I was pretty much sure it was Chia that needed to be loaded in the cannon.

Now?

I think we need a bigger cannon.

37. OriginalPouzar says:

GMB3: Yamamoto is older for his draft +1 too I believe, where as jordan Eberle spent two years in junior. I may be wrong but I think if Yamamoto returns to the WHL next year it would be as an overage player

I imagine there is zero chance he returns to junior as an over-ager.

It would be his fifth full season in junior.

It would be very rare for a 1st round pick to go back to junior when eligible for the AHL.

Eberle wasn’t eligible for the AHL in his draft plus 2 year or else he would have been in the AHL.

There are very few situations were a player’s development is better suited for the CHL than the AHL.

Yes, I know, he’s small and needs to gain strength. Thing is, he’s always going to be small and he needs to learn how to compete and be productive against men, not teenagers.

He should (and I’m highly confident will) be turning pro next season.

38. JimmyV1965 says:

You keep moving the goal posts of your argument. You said:

“Extra junior year, WJC, then on the big team the next year. That’s the route teams go.”

And I said that’s not true. Other than top 10 OV or exceptional talents, most guys drafted in the first round don’t go to the NHL after their second year.

You never said anything about 1.5 PPG. There’s very few guys who have done that since 2015 and virtually all of them were selected early. I actually did look at the draft lists. And why was Yammer not selected early despite getting 1.5 GPP? Because he’s very small. Yet another reason to let him marinate in the AHL.

Since 2015, Dylan Strome and Logan Stanley both got 1.5 PPG and are still not in the NHL. Alex Nylander was close and he’s not in the NHL. From the 2015 draft on, there might actually be less than 10 guys who scored 1.5 PPG in the CHL in their draft year and virtually all of them were selected early. Yammer is one of the very few exceptions.

39. OriginalPouzar says:

I think its widely accepted that Kailer has the offensive skills of a top 10 pick, however he was ranked (and chosen) in the bottom third of the first round due to size.

Yes, there are numerous examples of smaller players having solid NHL careers and some high end NHL careers, however, I don’t think that it can be denied that such small stature is a detriment the player needs to overcome and they need to figure out/learn how to play in the NHL with such small stature and succeed (and stay healthy) – its simply another box this type of player has to check.

Without doing the research, I would think that most players drafted in the bottom third of the first round out of the CHL spend their draft plus 1 back in the CHL and then, if old enough for the AHL, turn pro and play at least parts of their draft plus 2 seasons in the AHL.

That is a probably road for Kailer but not guaranteed. Maybe he forces his way on the team at camp. Maybe he is gifted a spot if management isn’t able to acquire solid competition for the top 6 spots.

The one thing that I personally feel strongly on is that he will not be back in the CHL next year – his next step is learning how to succeed in the pro game against professional players and large strong men.

Even if it takes him a few years to learn how to play the pro game, that’s OK – most of the star players of smaller stature did indeed take a few years until they became material players at the NHL level.

Gaudreau was 21 before he played an NHL game (I believe).

40. Wilde says:

Wilde:

This is the part of the argument I’m referring to, Jimmy. It’s not moving the goalposts. You were making the cutoff of saying only x players jumped after one extra year, and Yamamoto scores at LEAST as much as that group.

Is he gonna grow in height when he’s in the AHL? Either he’s skilled enough to make it despite his size or he’s not and finding out quick is the better way for this team.

What is he going to develop in the minors? Checking skill? He already had absolutely outstanding results in having limited chances against when he was on the ice. And besides, he was drafted to score.

You don’t keep a guy in the minors based on abstracts and principle, especially outdated ones.

If Yamamoto is the any worse than the 3rd best RW in next training camp, it means we have traded Nuge or Klefbom for someone.

There’s no hurt in giving him another 9 games. If he shoots 0% and his teammates shoot 2% again, thems the breaks.

He can help this team, and god damn does this team need help.

Jimmy: Logan Stanley? Doyou mean Logan Brown?

42. Wilde says:

Wilde:

Thinkig about this again, it could also mean that we have drafted top 3.

frjohnk: Chias GMing stands out worse for majority of the media and fans than TMacs coaching.Chia has made some bold moves over the years that do not look good.I dont need to list them again but they do stand out.TMac on the other hand, has had very good teams in San Jose cover up some of his sins and I think that has given him some shade for now.

Now?

I think we need a bigger cannon.

Several of Chiarelli’s poor moves as GM were the consequence of McLellan’s poor coaching. If the coaching isn’t good, a GM is likely to make poor decisions. It has been basically impossible for a veteran player to get out of the McLellan’s doghouse once a run of poor play or bad luck gets him there. His good opinion once lost is lost forever. This coach has a distinct preference for changing the player rather than figuring out how to use the player.

The coaching hasn’t been good.

44. JimmyV1965 says:

Jimmy: Logan Stanley? Doyou mean Logan Brown?

Logan Stanley. Sorry, that’s 103 PIMs he had in draft year. Not Pts.

45. Edmonton Oilers: A Tale of Two Seasons says:

[…] the third time in their last five appearances at Rogers Place, much of their fanbase is ready to wave the white flag on what has been a nightmare […]

46. A Tale of Two Seasons – A.I.O.S.N. says:

[…] third time in their last five appearances at Rogers Place, much of their fanbase is ready to wave the white flag on what has been a nightmare […]

47. A Tale of Two Seasons | sports today says:

[…] time in their very last 5 appearances at Rogers Location, a lot of their fanbase is prepared to wave the white flag on what has been a nightmare […]

48. A Tale of Two Seasons - Barflyer.net says:

49. cc says:

Just stopped by to see if they’ve fired Todd McLellan yet. Nope the stupidity continues!

« Older Comments