AHL Game 41: Gulls at Condors

The Condors (17-6-7) take on the San Diego Gulls (20-17-1) this evening in Bakersfield. For Oilers fans, there are several prospects, mostly defensemen, who are having good seasons on the farm.

TONIGHT’S ROSTER

• Players under contract are in that burnt orange color.
  • Ty Rattie is having a fine season. He is on track for 25 goals and 50 points, but may get a recall around the deadline depending on what the Oilers do up top.
  • Among the forward prospects we have been paying close attention to for a prolonged period, Joey Laleggia is having the best year. He’s on track for over 40 points. Will he see his first NHL action?
  • Joe Gambardella is back in the everyday lineup and he’s a player I’m hoping emerges during these second half games.
  • Ethan Bear missed a lot of action (16 games) during the first half, but even with that he’s on track to deliver about 24 points in 52 games. That’s a good rookie season.
  • Caleb Jones is out with injury currently.
  • Laurent Brossoit has been getting most of the work since his demotion and is slated to be in the net this evening.

For those who haven’t spent much time looking at Oilers prospects this winter, here’s my Top 20 prospects list. I’ll update scoring this evening from across the NA prospect universe.

I interviewed Justin Roethlingshoefer this week, he is the Strength and Performance Coach for the San Diego Gulls of the American Hockey League. He wrote a book about applied sport science you may be interested in, the book is described here.

36 Responses to "AHL Game 41: Gulls at Condors"

1. Confused says:

Heard Lowe has been good, anyone actually seen him play? Any hope? Or just smoke?

2. jtblack says:

LT: What is the main reason(s) Ty Rattie has not been able to stay in the NHL. He has scored consistently in the AHL this year, tore up the WHL for a few years … It seems like when he played in St.Louis, he would hit the scoresheet in limited minutes ..

Would you try him with Connor for a bit?

Thanks

3. jtblack says:

And for the Record I think Brad Malone got shafted by the Oilers … They say anybody can make the Big Club in training camp …

Well Malone had 2 Goals in his last pre season game. Then got sent down.

He got called back up and was very effective on the forecheck and creating energy. He was one of the better OIlers, He got sent down.

He has been buried all year and looks like he’s having a fine season.

If Letestu gets moved, could Malone compete for 4C next season? or he is destined to be an AHL player?

Confused:

The GF-GA numbers and the verbal have been very good. I haven’t seen many games this season.

jtblack:
    LT: What is the main reason(s) Ty Rattie has not been able to stay in the NHL.He has scored consistently in the AHL this year, tore up the WHL for a few years … It seems like when he played in St.Louis, he would hit the scoresheet in limited minutes ..

Would you try him with Connor for a bit?

Thanks

Foot speed.

6. Confused says:

jtblack,

Why Malone and not Currie? Just asking seen nobody. But Currie seems to have suddenly picked it up.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

Maksimov and Samorukov both with 1st period assists.

My goodness Samorukov’s offence is spiking.

I really liked some of the things he said in the interview last week (translated from Russian).

Talked about “making the AHL” when he is done junior.

Saying his only regret about coming to Canada to play in the CHL was not coming over sooner.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

LT: Where would you slot Cameron Hebig on that list? Above or below Rasanen?

Totally different types of players (Hebig being more offensive minded and Rasanen being an all-situations type of player).

Both distant bells but I’ve got this incling Rasanen will impress over his last few years of college and when he turns pro. 3C of the future (in 4 years).

9. OriginalPouzar says:

Confused:

He’s something like plus 18 in just under 30 games.

He’s been a fantastic signing by Chiarelli – solid play and a mentor for the younger prospects.

10. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack:

Would you try him with Connor for a bit?

Thanks

Slow boots!

11. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack:

Well Malone had 2 Goals in his last pre season game. Then got sent down.

He got called back up and was very effective on the forecheck and creating energy.He was one of the better OIlers, He got sent down.

He has been buried all year and looks like he’s having a fine season.

Malone had a decent game when he was up but he was awful his last few games. He was a net negative on the ice – not being effective at anything and he took a few bad minor penalties.

12. OriginalPouzar says:

Maksimov adds a goal – goal and an assist now.

13. Confused says:

OriginalPouzar,

Still only 24, wonder how he compares with OV2?

OriginalPouzar:
    LT: Where would you slot Cameron Hebig on that list? Above or below Rasanen?

Mid-20’s, probably.

15. OriginalPouzar says:

2 goals by Graham McPhee (one assisted by Rasanen) with 10 left in the third for Boston College (down 3-2).

16. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar:

JimmyV1965: It’s interesting. We’ve heard a lot about Rasanen, but McPhee has way more points and leads the team in goals I believe. I have not seen either of them play.

18. OriginalPouzar says:

I’ve never seen McPhee play and have only seen Rasanen play a few games in the World Juniors this year and I was very impressed with what I saw. Rasanen was the guy the Finish coach trusted in all situations. He was on the 1st PP, the 1st PK, was the 1st guy out 4 on 4, took all important faceoffs, etc.

Nothing flashy but a very responsible player with a good tool kit and, what I really liked, a nose for the net. He was the next front presence on the PP and liked to get to the front of the net at evens.

Now, don’t get me wrong, he is but a distant bell but I seem him as having the type of work ethic and game that may be able to get him to the NHL – 3C type of guy. Still not likely but I’m hoping.

I don’t really know anything about McPhee but see that LT has him ranked one spot ahead of Rasanen (I didn’t realize he was ranked quite that high until I just checked).

19. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: Pronman wasstrong on McPhee in his draft year, I’ve always had an extra eye on him because of it. Don’t know that he’d be a scoring winger but a Pisani-type would be a brilliant result.

20. MrMojoRisin’ says:

LT
    Thanks for everything you do, the posts, insightful thoughts and generally everything. It truly is appreciated. And as soon as one of my technological adept rugrats shows me how to do that PayPal thing, a contribution will be coming.
    Have a great weekend!

Original Pouzar
    My thanks and gratitude to You as well kind Sir.
    It’s wicked reading your fantastic input as well, always a relief knowing there are fans out there such as your ilk. Keep it up!

Enjoy the weekend gentlemen

21. OriginalPouzar says:

I appreciate that – thank you.

22. OriginalPouzar says:

Evan Polei – called up from Wichita, gets the Condors on the board – Christoffer and the off-seasons best signing, Keegan Lowe with the assists.

23. OriginalPouzar says:

Benson with a goal.

24. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    I’ve never seen McPhee play and have only seen Rasanen play a few games in the World Juniors this year and I was very impressed with what I saw.Rasanen was the guy the Finish coach trusted in all situations.He was on the 1st PP, the 1st PK, was the 1st guy out 4 on 4, took all important faceoffs, etc.

Nothing flashy but a very responsible player with a good tool kit and, what I really liked, a nose for the net.He was the next front presence on the PP and liked to get to the front of the net at evens.

Now, don’t get me wrong, he is but a distant bell but I seem him as having the type of work ethic and game that may be able to get him to the NHL – 3C type of guy.Still not likely but I’m hoping.

25. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar: I was thiking a Pisani like career for Rasanen as well but from the center ice position.

For all the controversy swirling around Chia, I think his drafting has been a huge improvement for the team.

26. JimmyV1965 says:

Looks like he might triple his draft +1 scoring rates.

27. JimmyV1965 says:

Just noticed Brady Tkchuk in the same division as our Boston College guys. He’s not exactly lighting it up with 5 goals and 13 assists in 24 games. And although he’s young he’s one of the biggest guys on his team.

28. OriginalPouzar says:

JimmyV1965: This is interesting as well. I read your reports from the World Juniors and it certainly sounds like Rasanen played a critical role at the tourney. Yet the vast majority of NHL players, even the fourth liners, had exceptional scoring rates at the amateur level. Are there many examples of defensive type players at the amateur level who go on to solid NHL careers as defensive type specialists? Usually it is scorers who convert to a defensive role.

There is still time for him to become a more material scorer at the amateur level as I think he’s likely got another 2 or 3 years left at college.

29. Harpers Hair says:

JimmyV1965:

Might want to check out Adam Gaudette at Northeastern. 36 points in 24 games

30. jtblack says:

Harpers Hair: Might want to check out Adam Gaudette at Northeastern. 36 points in 24 games

I think Gaudette is Canucks. They have drafted VERY WELL.

Their 1st rounder is leading the Swedish Elite League in scoring.
    Kole lind (2nd rounder) has 17 game point streak in WHL.
    PLus Juleovi & Gadjovich

31. JimmyV1965 says:

jtblack: I think Gaudette is Canucks. They have drafted VERY WELL.

Their 1st rounder is leading the Swedish Elite League in scoring.
    Kole lind (2nd rounder) has 17 game point streak in WHL.
    PLus Juleovi & Gadjovich

Gaudette 5th rounder. Nice.

32. JimmyV1965 says:

I did notice. He’s leading the league in scoring

Benson ended with two goals tonight.

34. OriginalPouzar says:

Benson ended with two goals tonight.

Its nice to see him back with a multiple point night after a bit of a lull offensively for a few games.

His 2nd goal was the tying goal with under a minute left.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

Benson also got in to a fight last night.

36. OriginalPouzar says: