Back to the future

The Edmonton Oilers spent a lot of time sitting after Leon Draisaitl was chosen in the first round of the 2014 draft. The second-round selection had been traded (Ivan Barbashev), plus the third and fourth-round picks. In 2015, many more selections were sent away and you know the story. Since the team dealt much of two drafts, and used most of the remaining picks on goalies and defensemen, there is an enormous need for young forwards who turned pro in the last couple of years. It’s a big problem. The solution? Back to the future.

THE ATHLETIC

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

FINDING BARBASHEV

Craig MacTavish and Peter Chiarelli traded a mountain of 2014 and 2015 draft picks but these men still roam the earth (and play hockey) to this day. One of the things Edmonton can do in the next few months is identify useful forwards in entry-level deals, acquire them, and allow them to matriculate in Bakersfield. Perhaps one of them will be good enough to find work in Edmonton next winter.

• This isn’t a list of players who are available, this is a list of players who would be worth pursuing.
  • I included Andrew Mangiapane to make a point. Lots of folks are mad about the Reinhart trade, and that’s fair because it was a poor bet and an overpay from the moment it was made. There is another issue, though. In 2014, Edmonton had six picks and spent TWO on goalies and three more on kids who were headed to college. No return beyond Leon that was going to help within two years. In 2015, Connor McDavid and no more forwards. Edmonton blew it by drafting (basically) two forwards in 2014 and 2015 who were going to be able to help in pro hockey at 20 (or before). It was insane.
  • I’m not a draft expert. I had Mangiapane at No. 36 in 2015 just based on math. Calgary took him No. 166 that season, Edmonton could have taken him several times even with their trades. Oilers chose McDavid, Caleb Jones, Ethan Bear and John Marino before Mangiapane, so it’s difficult to bitch because the arrows are good on all of them. Still, a forward (and Mangiapane) was available.
  • Oh. By the way. I also had Mangiapane No. 52 in 2014. Math informs the draft. I hope the Oilers have their analytics people helping them with this stuff, because Calgary has figured it out. If the Oilers don’t select the next Mangiapane, the Flames will.
  • If I’m Chiarelli, I target Winnipeg. Nic Petan is a fine young player, and Chase de Leo (not listed) is pretty good, too. The Jets are drunk with prospects, maybe there is something there.
  • Mathieu Joseph is a player who caught my eye, Lightning are another team with a bunch of these kids.
  • In the 2017 draft, my highest ranked forward who remained unchosen was undersized burner Jacob Tortora. I had him No. 72. He is at Boston College this season. I was also high on an OHL forward named Kevin Hancock, both men are eligible this season.

I think Malone has a good chance to receive a recall at the deadline especially if Mark Letestu finds a new NHL home. Malone has played well this season, mostly in the minors. He could be a value contract on next year’s team.

156 Responses to "Back to the future"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

I assume the Oilers are also looking at undrafted CHL players that are breaking out a bit – similar to Mantha and Hebig. Maybe a guy like Sam Militec.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m not sure exactly what the Jets’ left wing depth chart looks like going in to the playoffs but I would certainly entertain a Petan return for the Maroon trade.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m still mad at Brad Malone as the only thing he did of any relevance on the ice the last two NHL games he played was take a bad PIM to put the team shorthanded.

I’ll get over it when he is recalled (when the assets are sold) but, at the end of the day this is a career AHLer, tweener at best and here is hoping we can do better than that as our 4C next year.

I am still hopeful that Khaira is our 4C next year – he is playing up the lineup right now but I’m hopeful we can somehow acquire enough winger depth so that he doesn’t need to play up the lineup.

4. flyfish1168 says:

I finally watched the Thursday game this morning. what a wild game. Roller coaster of emotions. I didn’t mind Kassian’s game. Trying fire up the guys and going just a little crazy. Only wished he didn’t get booted out of the game.

We can call it a Kassian hat trick, a goal, a fight and a game.

5. flyfish1168 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    I assume the Oilers are also looking at undrafted CHL players that are breaking out a bit – similar to Mantha and Hebig.Maybe a guy like Sam Militec.

Pens beat us to him already

6. Clarkenstein says:

Every time you have a Draft story I get pissed off all over again. I honestly believe a 15 year old kid with a passion about the prospects could have done a better job in the past many years. I’d like to see the money spent flying scouts, GM’s, etc all over the world to get what they’ve got. Never mind what’s on the big team now Bakersfield is DFL in what is, arguably, a weak Pacific division. It’s a travesty. And kind of sad actually.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

flyfish1168: Pens beat us to him already

Well there you go – I did a quick news search on him to see if he had been signed and nothing came up. I should have searched capfriendly.

Rookie mistake.

*holds head in shame*

8. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar:

I’d like to have Khaira playing with a skill centre until he starts struggling, we’re not going to get better for our money I don’t think. And if it works, we have one less top 9 hole.

9. jake70 says:

OriginalPouzar:

Yeah he took a couple of real dumb penalties those last couple games after a decent start to his stint up with the big club. Oilers got scored on both times IIRC and changed the game. As it turns out, whoever has taken a penalty this season has cost the team.

10. Wilde says:

I like to think buyer GMs have conversations with their coaches to some degree in deadline moves.

I think Doug Weight would like Maroon, I also think Paul Maurice would.

The big fish here it’s PIT’s first. We know they want Letestu.

Maroon, Letestu, something else, for PIT’s first?

Edit: got it, we give Maroon+Letestu for PIT’s first and we take the Ian Cole contract they were trying to get rid of earlier, so they can shop with that space too.

11. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Wilde:

I think Doug Weight would like Maroon, I also think Paul Maurice would.

The big fish here it’s PIT’s first. We know they want Letestu.

Maroon, Letestu, something else, for PIT’s first?

Hagelin at 4m

12. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

LT, with you on Mangiapane. That was so frustrating when he was sitting there last picks of the draft and his numbers were off the charts. Such a layup.

Petan–not sure he can make it as a top 6 forward in the NHL. I hope he does. Met his mother at the Penticton YoungStars a few years back. I felt old when I realized she was not that much older than me, and quite attractive. Nic’s got skill but he sort of falls into a tweener-ish situation. That said he just hasn’t gotten a look with the plethora of riches Winnipeg has in its forwards.

There could be a player there, but it’s a bit of a risk.

That said, does Winnipeg see value in Maroon given what they have? Maybe if they have more injuries.

13. Wilde says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Hagelin at 4m

14. frjohnk says:

Buyers at and around the deadline hold on to their 1st rounders tighter than in years past for rentals.

Hanzel fetched one last year, then after the team got bounced out in the playoffs, there was talk about regretting the move.

Ladd fetched one the year before.

I think that might be it for the last 2 years.

15. flyfish1168 says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Hagelin at 4m

Hagelin Plus if they go to the finals or if Maroons resigns

16. Soup Fascist says:

I agree that over the next six months the Oilers need to stumble across a player or two that is currently miscast and playing on a cheap contract.

Problem is I am not sure how many William Karlssons are out there.

Other problem is I am pretty damn sure our pro scouts couldn’t find that guy even if he was standing under a flashing neon sign saying “value contract”.

17. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Wilde: I think the better time to make the Hagelin mercy play is in the summer. They likely want him for the playoffs, just in case he goes off again.

18. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909 Emergency Death March™ Update for new/returning players:

Oilers catastrophic start to the season makes for Emergency Death March™; a Contest within a Contest!

Emergency Death March™ is a brand new game!

Here’s how You play: simply go to http://www.oilersdeathmarch.com and click ENTER NEW CONTEST

It’s Easy! Free to enter!

More prizes for Emergency Death March™ winners…Contest Book will remain open until mid February…until puck drop for Chiarelli’s home team return game VS the Bruins on the 20th.

19. Soup Fascist says:

jake70: Yeah he took a couple of real dumb penalties those last couple games after a decent start to his stint up with the big club. Oilers got scored on both times IIRC and changed the game.As it turns out, whoever has takena penalty this season has cost the team.

You know this has to be a bit of the fallout of being unable to kill a penalty. Guys are tentative on the forecheck, Dmen are scared to manhandle guys in front on the net or in the corners. Take a penalty and it’s basically a coin flip if it costs an awarded goal – at home any way.

I think our soft defensive zone play can be attributed to the putrid PK. That and a goofy man to man dzone coverage strategy that should have gone the way of the Pontiac Fiero – extinct.

20. anjinsan says:

The Jets are drunk with prospects because Cheveldayoff drafts well.

21. Soup Fascist says:

anjinsan:
    The Jets are drunk with prospects because Cheveldayoff drafts well.

And they have a farm team in their backyard that has the audacity to hire a minor league coaching staff with a mandate to try and develop young players.

Crazy concept.

22. Wilde says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Well, I am not even saying that the Oilers should in fact make a Hagelin play. Just saying that if they were trying to extract value from Pittsburgh, freeing them of that contract opens up other options for them. What would that be worth to them?

Yes, but in this hypothetical PIT would want another forward back, because if they took out Hagelin for Maroon they’d be treading water in terms of troops. (quantity)

23. leadfarmer says:

anjinsan:
    The Jets are drunk with prospects because Cheveldayoff drafts well.

We just need to steal the Jets scouting staff

Chevaldayoff does nothing. He is Steve Tambellini. He is still reading his phone manual.

24. innercitysmytty says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

Slam dunk indeed! But one thing I don’t get is the esteem for calgarys drafting for taking him. It was a no brainer so they don’t exactly get extra props for taking him. And they, like all other teams passed over him 300 odd times in two drafts before he was picked. It just looks really poor on the oilers and all others that passed on him.

25. smellyglove says:

It’s sad to see the Calgary Flames with such better management.

Good drafting, good trades, good scouting.

A few high picks (Monahan), but lots of good old fashioned ‘team running’.

26. leadfarmer says:

smellyglove,

You should have seen this place when they traded for Smith

27. Scungilli Slushy says:

Why wasn’t Militec drafted, anyone know?

I couldn’t find much about except that when he went back to the Knights he was referred to as a good skating skilled two way guy with a nose for the net. Sounds ok to me.

28. jtblack says:

The Jets are drunk with prospects ****

The Canucks are as well.

Can’t see either of those teams helping Edm out by giving us a Quality Prospect.

IMO: EDM should approach the 2017 draft with patience. IF we can acquire 2 or 3 draft picks at the Deadline, we should just pick them all. If we draft well, in 2 yrs things will look much better.

LT: What about Evan Bouchard in Round 1? Offensive RHD

This draft is littered with small, skilled D man. Kris Letang was a 3rd round pick. Edm needs to find Kris Letang. I believe his name is Calen Addison. Offensive wizard from the back end, with lots to learn on Defense.

For what its worth, I like Brad Malone. To single him out is cherry picking OP; there are half a dozen Oilers that took bad penalties and we got scored on. We ALWAYS get scored on.

anjinsan:
    The Jets are drunk with prospects because Cheveldayoff drafts well.

They also don’t trade their draft picks.

30. Oilman99 says:

OriginalPouzar:

The problem is, as long as PC is in charge,they are in love with undrafted college players.

31. jtblack says:

Lowetide: They also don’t trade their draft picks.

I knowwhat we traded in 2015 (*cringe). What picks did we trade in 2014?

32. Oilman99 says:

Lowetide: They also don’t trade their draft picks.

This is a concept that the Oilers have never figured out.

33. Wilde says:

jtblack: I knowwhat we traded in 2015 (*cringe). What picks did we trade in 2014?

Fasth cost us the 4th, Scrivens the 3rd, Perron the 2nd.

34. Scungilli Slushy says:

This season would be a great one to replenish. But they have to have the courage to call it at the deadline and not waste the chance for some faint hope of playoffs and get nothing for wanted players. The players have to take it on the chin for playing poorly too often.

Or they will be dumb and try to bring everyone back because good guys.

I suppose every season is a turning point, but this one particularly seems like one. They can right a lot of wrongs with good decisions, or send it further down the hole with weak ones.

35. fifthcartel says:

I worry about a Maroon extension because “Connor really likes him”.

36. JimmyV1965 says:

Clarkenstein:
    Every time you have a Draft story I get pissed off all over again.I honestly believe a 15 year old kid with a passion about the prospects could have done a better job in the past many years. I’d like to see the money spent flying scouts, GM’s, etc all over the world to get what they’ve got. Never mind what’s on the big team now Bakersfield is DFL in what is, arguably, a weak Pacific division.It’s a travesty. And kind of sad actually.

Drafting and developing is the biggest issue facing this team. Virtually every team in the league has a top 4 dman or top 6 forward they drafted after the first round. Not the Oilers. It’s remarkable and frightening.

Having said that, I think Chia has drafted much much better than the previous regime. I do believe he went heavy on dmen in his first couple years because we had zero prospects in the system and only Nurse and Klef with the big club. When he took over as GM there were only two legit dmen in the entire organization. How does that even happen?

However, I’m starting to think that development is just as big an issue. This team continues to deny prospects an opportunity to develop properly in the minors. Guys like Yammer and JP are brought up too early because we have a hole to fill on the NHL roster. Not sure if things will change until they stop doing that.

37. leadfarmer says:

smellyglove,

Although trading your first, betting your entire season on Smith, while a good goalie he does break down and a lot, not providing him with a Backup is actually some absolutely horrendous GMing. No one and I mean no one else though Lack was a backup goalie at this point, and relying on a almost 36 yo goalie to play 69 games is terrible. They have gotten lucky, very lucky. And good GMing this is not. If Smith went down in the first quarter of the season they very well would be sitting in the basement without a first or second round pick

38. hankster says:

Winnipeg kept all their draft picks because they were never in the playoffs and not needed to trade their draft picks for rentals. We’ll see what they do this years as their goalie finally did not shit the bed and are playoff bound. geez whiz grass is always greener…

39. leadfarmer says:

fifthcartel:
    I worry about a Maroon extension because “Connor really likes him”.

I worry more about not extending Maroon because that is one more hole Chia will mismanage

Second round pick used by St. Louis on Barbashev
    Third round pick used by Detroit on Dominic Turgeon
    Fourth round pick used by Colorado on Nicholas Magyar
    Fifth round pick used by Anaheim on Matthew Berkovitz

hankster:
    Winnipeg kept all their draft picks because they were never in the playoffs and not needed to trade their draft picks for rentals.We’ll see what they do this years as their goalie finally did not shit the bed and are playoff bound.geez whiz grass is always greener…

Jets have a quality system and a successful NHL team. Oilers have a donut.

42. Wilde says:

Do we, though? Do we have a donut?

We may be closer to week old, dried out 7-Eleven danish.

43. leadfarmer says:

Which they got by other than by good drafting by the Steve Tambellini method of doing absolutely nothing. It is funny to now read that he had the right method all along. They both even signed declining goalies to retirement contracts

44. Jethro Tull says:

Lowetide: They also don’t trade their draft picks.

This is not quite true.

Jiri Tlusty stands out.

leadfarmer:

Which they got by other than by good drafting by the Steve Tambellini method of doing absolutely nothing.It is funny to now read that he had the right method all along.They both even signed declining goalies to retirement contracts

I actually like the Oilers drafting.

46. jtblack says:

hankster:

Edm was never in the Playoffs in 2014 or 2015 or “2008 -2016”

47. thehop says:

Lowetide: Jets have a quality system and a successful NHL team. Oilers have a donut.

Now is the Oilers donut a Boston Creme, Long John, Fruit Filling or Glazed??

Boston Creme all day for me.

48. thehop says:

Wilde:

Do we, though? Do we have a donut?

We may be closer to week old, dried out 7-Eleven danish.

It should be illegal for 7-11 to sell pastries/donuts.

Blasphemy imo.

49. jtblack says:

thehop: Now is the Oilers donut a Boston Creme, Long John, Fruit Filling or Glazed??

Boston Creme all day for me.

Bahahahaahha.

Boston has a Good team and hit Home runs in 2014 draft & 2016 draft.
    2015 Draft, as Stupid as PC was, BOS had picks 13,14 & 15.

They CHOSE to go off the Grid (analysts sais that LIVE at the time); they chose …
    ZBORIL, DeBRUSK, SENYSHYN (mentioned above as LT target)
    The next 3 picks chosen were
    BARZAL, CONNOR, CHABOT

If Bos didnt go off the grid, they would be Scary deep with young Talent. **HINDSIGHT** but interesting

50. OilSafety says:

thehop,

Their long Johns and fritters are equal quality to what is sold at timmies, not saying that’s a high standard. Give me a coop or Safeway bakery any day.

51. oilersfan says:

Man you guys overvalue late round prospects

All those players lowetide listed above are non impact, borderline prospects. None of them are as good as what is available on the waiver wire every season when training camp ends and each team has to send a prospect or two to the ahl that is now waiver eligible.

Think Magnus Paajarvi, Tyler Pitlick, etc. barbashev will likely join that group next season

52. Scungilli Slushy says:

The biggest tragedy in trading the 2014 3rd pick was the Oilers could have had a goalie named Elvis Merzlikins in the system.

53. Wilde says:

oilersfan:
    Man you guys overvalue late round prospects

And these would be good players if we could call them up instead of dressing Letestu and Caggiula every game. The bottom of our roster is weak and gets easily exposed in times of injury becaue we have no farm to call. That’s the point of a post like this.

Except Ho-Sang. That’s a bona fide top 6 forward.

54. Woogie63 says:

smellyglove:
    It’s sad to see the Calgary Flames with such better management.

Good drafting, good trades, good scouting.

A few high picks (Monahan), but lots of good old fashioned ‘team running’.

Smith at 926 SP for 6th in the league
    Talbot at 901 SP for 41st in the league

Can have an influence on how we perceive the skill of the GM to build a team.

55. flyfish1168 says:

oilersfan: Matthew Berkovitz

Good point I would like to pick them up. But we are not hamstrung by the number of contracts we have. Sitting at 48? Sad state when most will never see the NHL

56. oilersfan says:

Players like that are available in fee agency every year for pitlick type contracts that Dallas signed. I am more upset about the crappy ahl veterans Chiarelli signed than the late round picks he gave up. Most late round picks are Greg chase level. Who cares? Way too Much energy and whining here over replacement level players

57. thehop says:

OilSafety,

Agreed! Both are good for baked goods. I prefer Safway due to the fact that their Donut Croissants are heroin to me. Try one of youve never had one. You won’t regret it.

58. Pescador says:

thehop: It should be illegal for 7-11 to sell pastries/donuts.

Blasphemy imo.

Meh,
    If your buying your donuts from 7-11 you don’t know what time it is anyway.
    Same people are buying their streak from Walmart

59. OriginalPouzar says:

Scungilli Slushy:

Or they will be dumb and try to bring everyone back because good guys.

Unless we truly do run the table prior to the deadline, I can’t imagine that management would make “buyer” type moves – trading away futures for short term help (i.e. UFAs).

I think Chairelli knows that we are clearly sellers and our pending UFAs need to be dealt for the best possible return, subject only to a potential re-signing of Maroon. Even if they are planing to re-sign Maroon, my preferred course of action would include being straight up with him beforehand that he is being dealt to a contender but they are hoping to re-sign him in the off-season – perhaps even negotiate broad contract parameters – of course there is always risk that the re-sign won’t happen.

Other than that, management could be looking at actual hockey trades – not acquiring UFAs but players with some term that should help over the next few years – the Hoffman, Max P., etc. type acquisitions.

60. jtblack says:

Pescador: Meh,
    If your buying your donuts from there you don’t know what time it is anyway.
    Same people are buying their streak from Walmart

Are there better places to get a Steak? Humpty’s Restaraunt 😉

61. OriginalPouzar says:

fifthcartel:
    I worry about a Maroon extension because “Connor really likes him”.

62. Scungilli Slushy says:

Chiarelli will always wear the stain of liquidating top tier talent and depth (picks) for the Oilers and Bruins, whether he was the final deciderer or not which to me is not clear with the politics of both teams.

I hope he’s learned that you don’t take flyers on players like Hall and high picks. You HAVE to get the same quality back. And that even if you don’t like a good player, being a well adjusted nice guy doesn’t win hockey games. Being really good at hockey does.

The intangible that matters is the ability to get the puck in the net regularly and help others to.

But he could still make a great team at this point if he goes on a tear and aims his gun away from his foot. There remains a lot of quality. At this point.

63. OriginalPouzar says:

JimmyV1965: My feelings exactly. There is no cap on what you spend for scouting and as a very profitable team, they should be committing major resources to it.

There are quite a few mid-round picks that are trending well and have arrows up (i.e. trending better than their draft positions). At forward he’s generally drafted for high ceiling – most of the draftees won’t make it but if one or two from the middle rounds make it, watch out.

Outside of Benson/Yamamoto, my money is currently on Maksimov, Samorukov and Rasanen (Rasanen is 3-4 years away but he’s my darkhorse).

64. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: https://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Years/2014.htm

Second round pick used by St. Louis on Barbashev
    Third round pick used by Detroit on Dominic Turgeon
    Fourth round pick used by Colorado on Nicholas Magyar
    Fifth round pick used by Anaheim on Matthew Berkovitz

Are any of those last three trending to have NHL careers?

65. flyfish1168 says:

OriginalPouzar: I am on board with bringing Patty back (although, as per my previous post, would prefer a trade and then re-sign, if possible) but I think we can only re-sign Patrick at an actual hometown discount and such a discount is simply fantasy as I can’t recall the Oilers ever signing a player to a hometown discount.

I don’t believe PC likes to give players the option for a hometown discount. The only options he likes are No trade or no movement clauses, players choice.

66. Pescador says:

leadfarmer: We just need to steal the Jets scouting staff

Chevaldayoff does nothing.He is Steve Tambellini.He is still reading his phone manual.

leadfarmer: We just need to steal the Jets scouting staff

leadfarmer: We just need to steal the Jets scouting staff

Chevaldayoff is definitely annoying, very punchable face.
    He did get a decent return for A. Ladd iirc & to be fair, how is that return for E. Kane looking now?

67. ArmchairGM says:

oilersfan:
    Man you guys overvalue late round prospects

Yeah, a pick and some patience is better than somebody else’s sloppy seconds.

68. Wilde says:

oilersfan:

You don’t want them as FA’s, you want them on league min. ELCs.

The consequences of having no farm is real.

Puljujarvi had zero offensive help when he was down there when Lander left.

Benson and Hebig will have no help as well. Maybe keep Rattie and he can help there, but every other team has better.

69. jtblack says:

With our Love of trading away picks; It seems clear that Important add ons to deals gone bad would have been; should have been ….

Larsson & a 2nd
    Eberle & a 3rd

Why couldn’t PC get some picks added to those deals?

70. flyfish1168 says:

jtblack:
    With our Love if trading away picks; It seems clear that Important add ons to deals gone bad would have been.

Larsson & a 2nd
    Eberle & a 3rd

Why couldn’t PC get some picks added to those deals?

Other GM has a better understanding that CAP space has value and they are giving up a less expensive player. Skill has less value they way it was negotiated.

71. fifthcartel says:

Yupp. This is what I fear.

Maroon’s a good player, but I’m a bit strict on what I’d give Maroon. No more than two years and $3m max.

He’s going to want 3-5 years and close to four and then you’re probably paying him more than he’s worth.

His most common linemate is Connor McDavid. He’s on pace for 22 goals and 44 points. I don’t think that’s a player they need to sign.

Add in Chiarelli’s poor negotiation skills and I could see a 5-year term and a NMC.

72. Scungilli Slushy says:

I’m concerned about Lucic. He is in what should be the apex of his career and he seems to be losing his puck abilities – the inability to finish and the bizarre passes to nowhere. He’s a better player than that. It’s too early for age decline for most players that had ability to start with.

73. OilSafety says:

Pescador,

Pescador: Meh,
    If your buying your donuts from 7-11 you don’t know what time it is anyway.
    Same people are buying their streak from Walmart

For most meat I go for Pine Haven Hutterite colony meat shop. At least I know what those animals are being fed and pricing is comparable to supermarkets except for chicken.

The best beef bratwurst you can buy anywhere.

74. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar:

Sam is and has been a Penguins prospect, and has signed his entry-level deal already.

So there is a 0% chance that we could sign him as an undrafted and unsigned CHL player. Pittsburgh beat us to the punch. Now, a guy *similar* to him? Sure, why not?

75. Scungilli Slushy says:

fifthcartel: Yupp. This is what I fear.

I also think Maroon isn’t producing what a player with his usage should.

The worry I have is that the league is not calling penalties for Connor and that might lead them to want a protector on his line as opposed to the most ability they can find. If Lucic was playing better it could be him. But he’s not.

OriginalPouzar: Are any of those last three trending to have NHL careers?

Turgeon has already had a cup of coffee, seems like a reasonable bet for an NHL career. Other two continuing to develop.

77. HT Joe says:

leadfarmer: We just need to steal the Jets scouting staff

Since MacT and Chia took over the team from Tambellini, I can recall only ONE trade that the Oilers won (Maroon). Tambi’s drafting after the first round was terrible, but the players that the Oilers have traded away since his departure have had a tremendous collective impact on their new teams.

I now question if Tambellini wasn’t our best GM since KLowe. Dark days.

78. Scungilli Slushy says:

Pescador: Meh,
    If your buying your donuts from 7-11 you don’t know what time it is anyway.
    Same people are buying their streak from Walmart

Walmart is a great place to streak I find.

79. Professor Q says:

Scungilli Slushy: Walmart is a great place to streak I find.

I tend to drink Windex before I go, in order to prevent this.

80. HT Joe says:

OriginalPouzar: I just don’t think we can pay market value for Maroon ($4.5M X 4 – give or take). We need a value contract in our top 6 (like Maroon currently provides). I know he likes Edmonton but I don’t imagine he’ll sign there for a discount.

Is that still his market value? He’s on pace for ~ 21 goals and 41 points, playing predominantly with a strong centre. Even if Chia can’t negotiate a more team-friendly cap hit, I’m not convinced that his “market value” is $4-$4.5 per year.

81. OmJo says:

leadfarmer:
    smellyglove,

Although trading your first, betting your entire season on Smith, while a good goalie he does break down and a lot, not providing him with a Backup is actually some absolutely horrendous GMing.No one and I mean no one else though Lack was a backup goalie at this point, and relying on a almost 36 yo goalie to play 69 games is terrible.They have gotten lucky, very lucky.And good GMing this is not.If Smith went down in the first quarter of the season they very well would be sitting in the basement without a first or second round pick

I ca’t tell if you’re talking about the Flames or the Oilers.

82. OilSafety says:

thehop:
    OilSafety,

I’ve seen them there but never tried them. When I was a kid my dad would only buy plain glazed donuts and as a result I ate far too many of them resulting in an aversion to glaze as an adult.

83. ArmchairGM says:

OriginalPouzar: I am extremely happy with the drafting since Chiarelli took over (for the most part).

There are quite a few mid-round picks that are trending well and have arrows up (i.e. trending better than their draft positions).At forward he’s generally drafted for high ceiling – most of the draftees won’t make it but if one or two from the middle rounds make it, watch out.

84. JimmyV1965 says:

oilersfan:

My concern isn’t that we trade the occasional late round pick. You’re right. Chances are they mean nothing. But many many teams in this league have picks from the third round and later that develop into top 6 forwards and top 4 dmen. Trading away any one of those picks is not an issue. But teams do draft quality players in that range. And you can’t draft them if you don’t have the picks.

85. JimmyV1965 says:

Woogie63: Smith at 926 SP for 6th in the league
    Talbot at 901 SP for 41st in the league

Can have an influence on how we perceive the skill of the GM to build a team.

I hate to blame the goalie, but I will of course. Talbot has simply not been good enough. Way too inconsistent. Our dzone coverage had been awful but I think the whole team is second guessing themselves because they know a mistake will end up in the net. The Jets have the same team they did last year. The difference is in the net.

86. flyfish1168 says:

ArmchairGM: Rasanen is 20. If he’s unable to break into the league until he’s 24 then he won’t be an impact player and isn’t worth talking about. He’ll be a tweener / journeyman / recall option at best.

Reading this article I agree with you. Average skating. Sounds like Lander

87. anjinsan says:

LeBrun’s interview on The Athletic is just a shameless PR piece for Chiarelli. Yuck. Folks don’t subscribe to The Athletic for PR or advertising. Double Yuck.

88. OriginalPouzar says:

Oilers will open next season in Sweden versus the Devils. They will play a late camp exhibition game in Germany.

Ughhh – although this will be kind of cool and exciting, it won’t be helpful to having a good start to the season – will mess up training camp, so much travel to start the season with jetlag, etc.

It will be a great showcase for Dahlin though…..

89. OriginalPouzar says:

Wilde: You don’t want them as FA’s, you want them on league min. ELCs.

The consequences of having no farm is real.

Puljujarvi had zero offensive help when he was down there when Lander left.

Benson and Hebig will be the help, along with, potentially Yamamoto.

Those three will be a very solid induction of talent to the Condors next season.

If Yamamoto is in Bakersfield, we are essentially adding a very talented top line (granted all rookie pros).

90. OriginalPouzar says:

At least they aren’t playing in China which I feared – that would be even worse for getting off to a good start next year.

CGY/BOS is a potential for China – I’m all for that.

91. fifthcartel says:

Scungilli Slushy: I also think Maroon isn’t producing what a player with his usage should.

Maroon’s been a good value contract, and I agree I expect a bit more from a winger playing mostly with McDavid, but he doesn’t play PP1 so I’ll take that into account.

If Chiarelli can’t find a decent top-six winger to play with 97, well why is he here then?

92. who says:

leadfarmer:

Why do you hate Chevaldayof?
    Seems to me that his PATIENT approach has worked a lot better than Chia’s IMPATIENT one. Yeah he doesn’t make a lot of trades, but when he does make one he generally gets good value (Ladd, Kane, etc).
    And the Mason signing was not cap crippling in money or term and does provide some cover for his young goalies. I also liked his Kulikov signing no matter what his analytics say. Added depth at a weak position without breaking the bank.
    No one has drafted better and that is still a key part of a GMs job.

93. OriginalPouzar says:

McDavid will compete in the fastest skater (shocking) and puck control relay tonight.

Challengers for fasted skater are: Eichel, MacKinnon, Point, Werenski, Rakell, Hanifin Bailey.

Apparantly some players turned down the fastest skater because they think they have no chance.

Cue the: All-star game and Skills Comp is a joke comments….

94. Pescador says:

jtblack: Are there better places to get a Steak? Humpty’s Restaraunt

Mmmm! Humpty’s T-bone
    They should be forced to present all of their menu items like
    Salisbury ‘Steak’

95. OriginalPouzar says:

Professor Q: I’ve seen you post this before in the previous thread. Meant to respond but fell asleep.

Yes, I didn’t realize that he was signed by PIT – I missed that. It was pointed out to me earlier.

Rookie mistake and I feel shame.

96. JimmyV1965 says:

HT Joe: Is that still his market value?He’s on pace for ~ 21 goals and 41 points, playing predominantly with a strong centre.Even if Chia can’t negotiate a more team-friendly cap hit, I’m not convinced that his “market value” is $4-$4.5 per year.

I don’t think Maroon is worth $4 mill over four years, but I’ll be stunned if he doesn’t get it. That would mean NHL GMs are exercising a collective restraint that I have never witnessed in my lifetime. Someone will pay. Not the good teams of course.

97. Pescador says:

fifthcartel: I think he gets a bit overrated because he’s a fan favorite. You just can’t have Milan Lucic and Patrick Maroon as your two top-six LW’s.

That’s only because Milan isn’t a top 6 winger anymore

98. JimmyV1965 says:

If he turns into a defensive specialist who plays well on the PK and wins the possession battle on the fourth line, I would be overjoyed with that.

99. Pescador says:

flyfish1168: Reading this article I agree with you. Average skating. Sounds likeLander

Parayko, Gaudreau
    Those are draft steals, Rasanen is an Oilers draft steal because they didn’t use a second round pick on him.
    I hope he makes it, did he just re-up his contract in Sweden, or was that Berglund?

100. JimmyV1965 says:

I think Maroon and Lucic can play in the top 6. The problem for us is they are our best wingers. They need to be our third and fourth best wingers. And really that’s what they were last year.

101. Pescador says:

Scungilli Slushy: Walmart is a great place to streak I find.

Haha dammit!
    Buy steak

102. Pescador says:

Professor Q: I tend to drink Windex before I go, in order to prevent this.

Prevents underwear streaking,

103. OriginalPouzar says:

Scungilli Slushy: Lucic or Nuge would probably have to go to keep Maroon. Nuge is a way better player and Lucic is the big prize.

If we could move Lucic, that changes everything as it opens up $6M of cap space (subject to salary/cap hit retention) although he is going to put up 50 points this year just as he did last year and as he does every year.

There is no sane world where Nugent Hopkins gets traded to make room for Maroon. I like Patty but Nugent Hopkins is by far the more valuable player, even at $1.5M to $2M more.

Of course, the equation would be Maroon plus the assets acquired for Nuge vs. Nuge.

104. thehop says:

Pescador,

Bahahahaha

105. OriginalPouzar says:

He’s not 20 for half a year – that’s material at this stage of development.

He’s in his first year at college and will likely stay for a few more.

This would not be an unusual development path for a college player that makes it to the NHL.

He is a distant bell but he’s on my radar – I’m officially rooting for this bell.

106. OriginalPouzar says:

Pescador: Parayko, Gaudreau

That was Berglund (Lagesson will likely be coming over next season and will be assigned to Bakersfield).

Rasanen is playing his first season at Boston College (along with Graham McPhee).

107. flyfish1168 says:

Pescador: Prevents underwear streaking,

So does Depends. Plus its disposable

108. Scungilli Slushy says:

Professor Q: I tend to drink Windex before I go, in order to prevent this.

What colour?

109. Professor Q says:

thehop:
    Pescador,

Bahahahaha

Hey, it was my joke, eh?

110. Professor Q says:

Scungilli Slushy: What colour?

Just regular blue for now.

I’m sure when I get older I’ll have to switch to the No Drip variety…

Wilde:

I think Doug Weight would like Maroon, I also think Paul Maurice would.

The big fish here it’s PIT’s first. We know they want Letestu.

Maroon, Letestu, something else, for PIT’s first?

Maroon and Letestu are too slow for the Penguins. They would expose the Pittsburgh D.

I can see them taking Letestu for a low pick as a pure depth move. But Maroon doesn’t fit there at all. The Pittsburgh system requires fast wingers.

112. Scungilli Slushy says:

Professor Q: Just regular blue for now.

I’m sure when I get older I’ll have to switch to the No Drip variety…

Blue has a nice nose but I find the finish a bit smoky. I’ve been liking PC brand lately, love the price, I’m a value buyer for my cleaning and cosmetic products drinking needs, although those initials are starting to bug me.

113. Scungilli Slushy says:

godot10: Maroon and Letestu are too slow for the Penguins.They would expose the Pittsburgh D.

I can see them taking Letestu for a low pick as a pure depth move.But Maroon doesn’t fit there at all.The Pittsburgh system requires fast wingers.

114. oilersfan says:

Wilde,

The ahl veterans get league minimum in the n.

Like I said you guys care way too much about replacement level players that are available in late July as Ufa’s at league minimum so they are just as cheap as the ones you can draft, or the ones on the waiver wire after the last exhibition game of the season. What’s important is to sign good ahl vets that other teams used second and late first round picks on like we did with Pouliot, Pitlick etc . Those players have a better chance than 95% of players taken in the third round or later. Other than the total flukes like Gaudreau there is nothing to cry about they are generally all replacement level players so who cares.

115. Richard S.S. says:

Connor McDavid is the Oiler’s #1 Center. Leon Draisaitl is the Oiler’s #2 Center. Darnell Nurse is an Oiler’s top 4 Defenseman. That’s what really matters. The rest of the Team must be able to play with these men. If they can, move them out and find Players who can. It’s that simple. The hardest part is doing in all in just over six months. This is not about who might be able to play, it’s about who can now. Unfortunately this is about economics and expedience. It won’t be pretty, but this no reason for Players this good to actual be this bad.

116. jtblack says:

Scungilli Slushy: True but they have been truculating lately, spoke about it as a reason for signing Reaves.

They gave up a 1st round pick for Reaves …. #Fleeced

117. JD_Wry says:

Doug Mellon‏
    @DougieMellon

NEW: The Seattle ownership group has been guaranteed by the league to have the same access to players in the expansion draft as Vegas did. #NHLtoSeattle

It’s going to be tough to see Milan’s name on another protected list, and I guess Rustle will be on it as well – no?

118. OriginalPouzar says:

Are others not annoyed that the Oilers will be heading to Europe for the back half of training camp and the beginning of the regular season?

It’ll be cool and exciting but I can’t see how it doesn’t detriment the back half of camp and the beginning of the season.

119. Wilde says:

oilersfan:
    Wilde,

The ahl veterans get league minimum in the n.

Like I said you guys care way too much aboutreplacement level players that are available in late July as Ufa’s at league minimum so they are just as cheap as the ones you can draft, or the ones on the waiver wire after the last exhibition game of the season. What’s important is to sign good ahl vets that other teams used second and late first round picks on like we did with Pouliot, Pitlick etc . Those players have a better chance than 95% of players taken in the third round or later. Other than the total flukes like Gaudreau there is nothing to cry about they are generally all replacement level players so who cares.

The reason that ‘replacement level’ is important is because ‘replacement level’ is different for each organisation, based on their depth outside of the NHL.

Maroon
    Lucic
    Khaira
    Caggiula
    —–NHL——LINE——
    Malone

To this:

Lucic
    Khaira
    Caggiula
    Malone

Where Brad Malone is 22 in 34 in the AHL, 28 years old.

But if this team kept its draft picks, the guy getting called up could be a 22 year old, PPG AHLer, who could then be the next Khaira, and stick with one of the skill centres.

Our replacement level is a dead end AHLer who will at best break even in the AHL.

Winnipeg’s replacement level is guys who score on our fourth line twice and win them the game.

120. OriginalPouzar says:

Hebig with a primary assist on an early PP goal.

121. jtblack says:

OriginalPouzar:

The Oilers had a full camp this year and No europe trip. How’s that working out for them?

Maybe it will Motivate Oscar and Larsson to be Awesome right off the bat next season!

122. HT Joe says:

Wilde: Say we trade Maroon and don’t get a roster LW back. That means every portside skater goes up one. It goes from this:
    Maroon
    Lucic
    Khaira
    Caggiula
    —–NHL——LINE——
    Malone
    To this:
    Lucic
    Khaira
    Caggiula
    Malone

Don’t worry… we still have Pouliot on the books for another couple of years. He’s a LW who can play top 6 in a pinch. Oh, wait… he’s on the books but is playing for another team… nevermind.

123. thehop says:

Professor Q,

Yes my apologies!

I had a good laugh at that exchange..

Hahahaha to you too!

124. JimmyV1965 says:

I’m not sure about this. Kunitz was fifth in playoff scoring for the Pens last year. They’ve moved on from him of course, but he did play an important role for the team at different times during the playoffs.

125. Gret99zky says:

Maroon: Hey, Allain, it’s Patrick. Listen, Chiarelli’s told me he’s going to trade me to a contender at the deadline but I’d like to sign with the Oilers in the summer.

Roy (his agent): Okay, so we should probably ask for 4 X $3M. That’s probably fair market value. I mean, you play on Connor’s line after all, hehe.

Maroon: Yeah, no. I want you to tell Chiarelli that there’s an OFFER SHEET on the table, and then say it will take 5 X $4M to get me back.

Roy: But Pat, you’re a UFA. UFAs don’t get offer sheeted.

Maroon: Just do it.

Roy: Okay. Should I ask for a NMC/NTC?

Maroon: Meh, I doubt you’ll have to ask.

126. ArmchairGM says:

I could see Auvitu being wildly successful there. I wonder if they’d give up a 5th round pick for him?

127. Gret99zky says:

anjinsan:
    LeBrun’s interview on The Athletic is just a shameless PR piece for Chiarelli.Yuck.Folks don’t subscribe to The Athletic for PR or advertising.Double Yuck.

Agreed.

I’m happy with my Athletic subscription. But that LeBrun piece simply doesn’t belong.

Attack of the Clones level disappointment.

He gets hammered on pretty good in the comments. And deservedly so.

Mirtle should take note.

128. Dominoiler says:

anjinsan:
    The Jets are drunk with prospects because Cheveldayoff drafts well.

This has prob already been said, but just in case it hasn’t..

Cheveldayoff took flak from the media for years because he didn’t make moves for the sake of making moves (giving them something to write about / talk about); instead the Jets built through the draft, didn’t flinch and sell the future when they struggled some seasons, and didn’t bleed top end talent.. they slowly acquired more talent, mostly through draft and develop, and got good to great value in the trades they did make, while also shipping out poor team chemistry guys in the Kane trade (again, good value)..

So yes, their farm team is stacked, but it’s not just good drafting, it’s good development timelines, it’s keeping your draft picks while accumulating more on deadline deals (ladd, again good value) and it’s not poorly evaluating talent and bleeding prospects that then creates holes in the depth chart for some future prospect to ‘hopefully’ fill..

(the Jeff Petry hole at 2RD, that either cost Taylor hall to fill (if Larsson is a 2RD) or took years for a maybe tweener in Matt Benning (if Larsson is a 1RD) to placehold till ‘the next future prospect’ comes along.. again, the oilers management kicking that GD petry can down the road, still without a suitable replacement..)

Does Cheffy do that?.. i don’t think so..

Does that help the Jets depth chart and prospect pool?.. bet your ass it does..

129. Dominoiler says:

How good would a brodziak type been for the oilers in these last, what, five years?.. instead eberle was traded for that 3rd line centre.. petry, just referenced.. dubnyk.. cogs.. even gagner went for spare change.. shultz was so over exposed fans could have paid for his flight to pitts if only they were asked to.. and, back again to that GD glencross snub, instead they grovelled to host the heatly decline tour..

The same fkn clowns from back then are still in the room ‘evaluating talent’ in the current organisation.. ffs

I hadn’t bought into the thinking that the Taylor hall trade was the slamming shut of the Stanley window, but i just can’t see how they can continue to bleed talent and assets and possibly compete with the best teams.. hope lives with CmD, but is that enough to overcome ‘oilers excellence’?!..

But we know a little something about winning, so it’s all good..

130. Professor Q says:

Dominoiler:

Maybe some good FA decisions as well.

Just that maybe, things could have been different if different decisions had been made. Or, of course, they could be in the same situation as they are now. Very possible. Or the middle.

No reason to dwell on it too harshly. Just hope for the best, as a fan.

131. Gret99zky says:

Dominoiler,

Also not a lot of boat anchor, cap crippling type contracts on the Jets. (Some NMCs, though.)

132. Gret99zky says:

Dominoiler:

With Hall’s success in NJ and only 2 years (after this one) left on his contract, the dream some are having of him signing with the Oilers as a UFA are fading fast. He won’t come back to a clown show.

133. Professor Q says:

Gret99zky: With Hall’s success in NJ and only 2 years (after this one) left on his contract, the dream some are having of him signing with the Oilers as a UFA are fading fast.He won’t come back to a clown show.

He’s going to Toronto to play with Tavares and Matthews.

134. leadfarmer says:

who: Why do you hate Chevaldayof?
    No one has drafted better and that is still a key part of a GMs job.

He used the same approach that Tambellini got widely panned for he and everywhere. He didn’t do a single move to make his team better. Found a hole in the team, let it crater the season. Keep drafting. The only moves he ever made was to sell UFA before trade deadlines and was forced to move Kane. Now people are singing his praises. Team got to where they are despite of him and not because of him. 100% of the credit belongs to their amateur scouting heads

135. hunter1909 says:

He’s going to be a big part of a top NHL contender. The Oilers under Chiarelli/TMac are running the same show as Klowe+MacT(no surprise since both are currently in high positions in management).

136. hunter1909 says:

Professor Q: Tampa survived a few stars going away (trades, retirement, FA, etc.). Mind you, they covered the previous era as well as this one. But they rebuilt quickly on the back of Stamkos and good drafts. No reason that Edmonton can’t do the same, especially having had at least 2-3 good recent drafts and good players from before then who are either good now or coming into their own, or both.

Maybe some good FA decisions as well.

No reason to dwell on it too harshly. Just hope for the best, as a fan.

Didn’t Tampa miss the playoffs last season. Wtf?

137. ArmchairGM says:

Professor Q: He’s going to Toronto to play with Tavares and Matthews.

You sure know how to twist the knife!

138. Professor Q says:

hunter1909: Didn’t Tampa miss the playoffs last season. Wtf?

Not just last year (07-10 and 11-13 were missed) but yes. And now they’re doing amazing again.

They did obviously make the Finals in 2014-15.

Team performances can fluctuate due to various reasons. Look at Pittsburgh if Edmonton is too painful of an example. Montréal. New York and New Jersey. Winnipeg and Colorado. In the rebuild, minor rebuild, retooling, or even “championship level” stages.

Fan moods can as well.

139. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack: OP: Colorado came back from europe and has killed it, so it doesnt have to be a detriment.

I would still prefer them not to have the 2nd half of camp totally messed up – I recall the Canucks camp this year being ridiculous – they couldn’t even ice the required min number of “veterans” for the games in Canada. The coaching staff overseas with some of lesser prospects back at home and playing games – it was kind of a joke.

The extra travel can’t help – the messed up schedule for the first few weeks can’t help, etc.

Yup, bad start this year with a normal camp. I’m not sure that means that its a good idea to have a messed up camp next year.

Its not the end of the world, I’d just prefer that it didn’t happen.

140. Scungilli Slushy says:

JD_Wry:
    Doug Mellon‏
    @DougieMellon

Might be an opportunity there. Maybe PC gets lucky.

141. Scungilli Slushy says:

142. Gret99zky says:

JD_Wry:
    Doug Mellon‏
    @DougieMellon

The Seattle Cattle Drive®

143. Gret99zky says:

Scungilli Slushy: I think the biggest issue is everyone 100% ready to go come fall, no injuries and no guys that didn’t train because of it.

And no 10 game regular season auditions.

144. leadfarmer says:

Gret99zky: The Seattle Cattle Drive®

That 2020 lockout better have some compliance buyouts attached so we can get rid of the Lucic contract

145. who says:

Dominoiler:

But we know a little something about winning, so it’s all good..

Beautifully said. Couldn’t agree more.

146. leadfarmer says:

who: Beautifully said. Couldn’t agree more.

147. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

jtblack: Bahahahaahha.

Boston has a Good team and hit Home runs in 2014 draft & 2016 draft.
    2015 Draft, as Stupid as PC was, BOS had picks 13,14 & 15.

ZBORIL, DeBRUSK, SENYSHYN (mentioned above as LT target)
    The next 3 picks chosen were
    BARZAL, CONNOR, CHABOT

If Bos didnt go off the grid, they would be Scary deep with young Talent.**HINDSIGHT** but interesting

It’s not really hindsight when everyone knew they screwed up at the time. The Reinhart deal only happened because Snow knew that Barzal was inexplicably on the board.

Oh and guess who helped oversee that awesome draft for Boston? Keith Gretzky, your Asst GM.

How you like them apples?

🙁

148. Alpine says:

I think with regards to WPG’s approach, I’m sitting here thinking what they could have done differently to be competitive other than build through the draft, and it’s hard to argue they didn’t succeed there. I guess that Pavelec contract ensured they missed the playoffs often, enough to draft in the top 10 every year. But they weren’t necessarily a FA destination, nor was selling picks a wise plan for a team that had maybe 4-5 decent players and not much else.

They didn’t really have much a choice because the system was bare by time they showed up in Winnipeg. I suppose they lucked out having Byfuglien and Wheeler want to stay there through their primes to help mentor some of their up and comers. The Oilers under Tambo had the old and/or broken down versions of those two in Souray and Hemsky. The former was at odds with management and on the verge of decline and Hemsky’s injuries totalled up making him less effective than Wheeler at the same age. The Oilers version of Bryan Little was again an older and declining forward in Shawn Horcoff.

So yeah, Cheveldayoff didn’t do much in the way of good other being patient and trusting his scouts. But he didn’t lose useful players for nothing like the Oilers have and I think that makes some appreciable difference. He inherited a team with better and younger veterans than Tambo et al., but was able to keep them happy and committed to the team somehow and he probably deserves some credit for that. Get good players, keep good players as they say.

149. Scungilli Slushy says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): It’s not really hindsight when everyone knew they screwed up at the time.The Reinhart deal only happened because Snow knew that Barzal was inexplicably on the board.

How you like them apples?

🙁

This is the thing that bothers me about hiring a manager or coach, and they bring their former colleagues along.

You are never importing best group available, the were all fired or let go. If they were so brilliant they would still be where they were. No problem with group think there.

That rests with the top level, man crushing on what they think they don’t have and that team did. Man crushing on Lucic despite a serious medical condition for a pro athlete and the contract he needed. Reminds me of a Whitney because Lubo wasn’t big enough despite play.

Boston’s complete fail with those firsts should have warded them off Gretzky, but the name!

150. Professor Q says:

Brian Boyle. What a guy.

151. OriginalPouzar says:

How you like them apples?

152. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar: Should Snow be fired given he would not have made the trade of Barzal wasn’t on the board?

You’re off on a tangent here. Will leave that rabbit hole for you to explore. Barzal was there, Snow made the move.
    Snow has not been a good GM outside his trades with the Alberta teams. If he hadn’t made the deal and his team’s performance was bleak with no Barzal in the system he might have been out of a job at this point. That’s as far as I will go on the tangent.

153. OriginalPouzar says:

McDavid wins the fastest skater. First repeat winner ever.

154. OriginalPouzar says:

No Jones again for the Condors – I can’t for the life of me find any information on what ails him.

155. who says:

leadfarmer: He used the same approach that Tambellini got widely panned for he and everywhere.He didn’t do a single move to make his team better.Found a hole in the team, let it crater the season.Keep drafting.The only moves he ever made was to sell UFA before trade deadlines and was forced to move Kane.Now people are singing his praises.Team got to where they are despite of him and not because of him.100% of the credit belongs to their amateur scouting heads

I guess what I am arguing is that his approach has proven to be the right way. He didn’t scramble to make a trade just for the sake of making a trade. He didn’t fill holes by creating other holes and he got value for the players he had to trade.
    It may have cost the Jets a few places in the standings some years but in the end they are a better team for it. And they look poised for multiple years of contention.
    I think this is a good thing and is what I would like to see from Oilers management

156. Dominoiler says:

leadfarmer: This team has had so many horrible bottom 6 players that the fan base is having trouble deciphering 4th line players from 3rd line. Kyle Brodziak is a 4th line player

Not with letestu on your team.. :/