AHL Game 43: Wild at Condors

The Bakersfield Condors (17-17-8) host Iowa Wild tonight (21-13-10) in AHL action. The feature item might be the roster turnover in goal for Bakersfield, as Laurent Brossoit was recalled to the Oilers and Eddie Pasquale was sent away. Shane Starrett gets the start, Caleb Jones remains out and some of the most interesting forwards on the team are on AHL deals.

CONDORS TONIGHT

• Ty Rattie is having the strongest offensive season, he should land around 25 goals on his current pace. I would rate him as a possible recall at the deadline if enough forwards (Maroon, Letestu, Cammalleri) are sent away.
  • Brad Malone is on a trajectory that would see him finish just shy of 40 points (38-ish) and he would have to be considered a likely recall in March.
  • Keegan Lowe’s EV GF-GA numbers are excellent this season compared to the group, there’s a chance he gets a recall.
  • Ethan Bear would finish about 6-16-22 if he plays the rest of the season and duplicates his offense currently.
  • My top ranked prospect in the game this evening is Bear. My list for The Athletic is here.

Updates across all leagues throughout the evening.

92 Responses to "AHL Game 43: Wild at Condors"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m happy for Starett getting the start tonight – interested to see how he does.

I’ve been searching and searching for info on what ails Jones but can’t find a lick of info.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Lots of propsect in action tonight in addition to the Condors: Safin, Maksimov, Samorukov, Wells, McPhee, Rasanen, Vessel, Benson, Yamamoto.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

SeaDogs only icing 10 forwards tonight and, the rookie winger, Ostaf Safin, is playing 2C.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

Maksimov with an early assist.

5. OriginalPouzar says:

Safin with a goal nearing the end of the 2nd – SeaDogs down by 4.

6. Wilde says:

I’d actually be in favour of giving Joey Legs the call up in March.

He has boots, no?

7. Professor Q says:

Military night has begun with quite the show. People are excited now as well.

Joseph Raaymakers currently has the best name in hockey.

8. Professor Q says:

Captain Bouchard is not starting tonight. Neither is Svechnikov.

Second pairing for the both of them?

Wilde:
    I’d actually be in favour of giving Joey Legs the call up in March.

He has boots, no?

Yes. Good boots

10. Wilde says:

Where do people watch now that onhockey doesn’t have CHL/AHL?

11. Wilde says:

Professor Q:
    Captain Bouchard is not starting tonight. Neither is Svechnikov.

Second pairing for the both of them?

I think junior teams like to start their older players usually, not sure if that’s unfounded

John Marino with an early assist

13. Professor Q says:

Suzuki scored, assisted by Jaden Peca.

While said goal was being announced, Bouchard responds with a blistering slapper from the blueline to tie the game and silence the announcement.

Word of Caution: Bouchard implements the Russell Reset©.

(Tongue firmly in cheek; I don’t hate the RR as much as others).

14. JD_Wry says:

Wilde: onhockey

I haven’t tried any of the suggestions, but there was just a reddit posting about this:

15. OriginalPouzar says:

Tyler Vessel with an assist.

Tyler Vesel with an early assist

17. Wilde says:

I’m gonna be watching the Spokane game, will update if you guys want.

18. OriginalPouzar says:

Excuse my ignorance but can someone explain the difference between plus/minus and goal share to me? Plus/Minus already excludes PPG for and PKG against and I don’t think either take in to account linemates, QOC or any other metric except goals scored and against.

19. OriginalPouzar says:

Wilde:
    I’m gonna be watching the Spokane game, will update if you guys want.

That would be great, thank you (although it starts so damn late, I’ll be in bed by mid-way through the second with the 2:45am wake up call).

20. Sighduck says:

Better than the playoff race is the race between OP and LT to see who can first post prospects scoring in real time!

21. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Excuse my ignorance but can someone explain the difference between plus/minus and goal share to me?Plus/Minus already excludes PPG for and PKG against and I don’t think either take in to account linemates, QOC or any other metric except goals scored and against.

plus/minus includes 6v5 GA, and 5v4/4v3 GA.

So basically stars on bad teams get burned, because their teams are losing more often and therefore they have the goalie pulled more often and get their empty net scored on more often.

These players also usually are on the first unit powerplay and as such most shorthanders against will come with them on the ice.

22. Professor Q says:

Thus far through 2 periods:

Bouchard is a very good player, and leader (Captain), but actually doesn’t play that much (low minutes) and well, maybe, other than scoring goals and making plays, isn’t too noticeable. But still really talented despite a hidden weapon.

Svechnikov is very good, and a bit younger, but Jaden Peca and Ryan Peca are even younger and have been the stars of this game. Definitely prospects to watch for later years.

23. Wilde says:

Yamamoto with the assist to tie the game early on a no look pass, odd man rush play

24. Wilde says:

Patented Yamamoto takeaway could have been another goal.

25. Wilde says:

Lol, Yamamoto with another steal shorthanded, comes all the way down the ice, beats the goalie and Patrik Stefan’s the open net.

Kootenay scored right after hahahahah

26. OriginalPouzar says:

Sighduck:

Two people that need to get a life?

27. Wilde says:

Yamamoto with a likely 2nd assist on the powerplay, off their go-to high slot tip play

28. OriginalPouzar says:

Wilde: plus/minus includes 6v5 GA, and 5v4/4v3 GA.

Does that really make a material difference?

29. OriginalPouzar says:

Boston College loses 5-3 – no points for Rasanen (-2) or McPhee (-1).

30. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar: Thank you – so, if I understand, the material difference is empty netters and short handed goals?

Does that really make a material difference?

Over a whole season, absolutely. I’ve seen it add -10 to guy’s seasons, sometimes more.

31. Wilde says:

Yamamoto penalty for crosschecking. Absolute goonery here in the koots

32. Pescador says:

OriginalPouzar: Two people that need to get a life?

Lowetide has a damn fine radio show, the very best Oilers blog, beautiful wife & kids, & now because he is a famous writer over at the Athletic, he is an internet millionaire.
    Not only does he have a life,
    he is winning it handsomely !

33. OriginalPouzar says:

Samorukov with an assist on a goal that pulls the Storm within 1.

34. Wilde says:

First period over, Yamamoto should have 3 points already but he put an empty net shot off the post, so it’s only 2.

Confirmed 2nd assist on the PPG.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

Pescador: Samorukov with an assist on a goal that pulls the Storm within 1.

My wife is hotter and I have a six pack and drive a german car….

I’m just kidding (and was clearly kidding about getting a life – of course I have nothing but admiration and respect for our host).

36. OriginalPouzar says:

So that’s 9 straight multi-point games for Kailer if I’m counting correctly?

37. Confused says:

OriginalPouzar,

Absolutely, many posters are very excited by Grabner.

Go look up how many of them are empty netters.

38. Jonathan Willis says:

Does that really make a material difference?

Taylor Hall 5v5 | +/- (Diff.):

2010-11: -7 | -9 (+2)
    2011-12: +4 | -3 (+7)
    2012-13: +5 | +5 (0)
    2013-14: -5 | -15 (+10)
    2014-15: +2 | -1 (+3)
    2015-16: +5 | -4 (+9)
    2016-17: +3 | -9 (+12)
    2017-18: +8 | +3 (+6)

That’s a difference of 49 goals over an eight-season career, and in half of those years the difference between being a plus or a minus player. I think it’s significant, your mileage may vary.

OriginalPouzar: Two people that need to get a life?

I’m always a step behind. Age be a bitch!

40. Wilde says:

Nice rush up the ice by the Yamamoto line – play’s been broken since the beginning of the 2nd

41. Oilman99 says:

OriginalPouzar: Two people that need to get a life?

I think you’re the guy that needs to get a life.

42. Wilde says:

Ty Smith appears to be the only Dman in this game with a decent exit pass.

43. OriginalPouzar says:

Oilman99: I think you’re the guy that needs to get a life.

Holy Jesus – i was clearly joking whereas you are just attacking me – nonsense.

I will wait for your apology.

44. Wilde says:

Yamamoto walks another poor ice shorthanded, almost went backhand five for another point

45. Wilde says:

Drew a slashing call on the play

46. Munny says:

Lowetide: I’m always a step behind. Age be a bitch!

Dammit! Who’s watching the barbeque?!

47. Wilde says:

Yamamoto with the PPG on the call he drew, 2 or 3 SOG before scoring as well.

The Kootenay Ice colour guy sounds like he’s about a hundred and fifteen years young.

48. Confused says:

In your A article you talk RHD

Any thoughts on Petro or Hultstrom from FLA?

49. Wilde says:

Looked up #19 on KOO after taking note of him a few times.

43 in 45 as a 16 year old. What.

50. Wilde says:

The Chiefs powerplay is a terror, fancy perimeter passing by Smith, Anderson Dolan and Yamamoto with some great execution on tip plays and seam passes

51. hags9k says:

Oilman99,

Sheesh, he was being self deprecating and making the joke at his own expense. Lighten up, everyone here needs to get a life, we all know that.

No need to be rude. (edit: unless we are talking about the PK)

52. Sighduck says:

OriginalPouzar,

More two people that make this the best slice of internet I have found yet. It is starting to feel an awful lot like KY has ‘figured out’ the junior side of things in an uncannily similar way to Drai.

If I remember correct Drai started slow after his comeback before roaring back and even being named Memorial Cup MVP on the losing team (which is extremely rare)

53. Pescador says:

OriginalPouzar,

Of course, I knew you were kidding.
    Only a buffoon would not pick up on that

54. OriginalPouzar says:

John Marino with an early assist

Marino finished with two assists.

55. OriginalPouzar says:

Yamamoto with 8 shots through 2 (and I hear about a post in addition) – yowswers!

56. OriginalPouzar says:

Sighduck:
    OriginalPouzar,

Thank you – appreciated.

Yup, Drai started slow but Kailer’s slow start (after his 4 points in his first game) last quite a while longer than expected or hoped – it was starting to make people (including myself) a little nervous.

He’s tearing it up now, that’s for sure.

57. OriginalPouzar says:

Pescador:
    OriginalPouzar,

Of course, I knew you were kidding.
    Only a buffoon would not pick up on that

Thank you – appreciate that.

58. Professor Q says:

I recant the “Bouchard is effective yet unnoticeable” position.

Had the puck seemingly all 3rd period and truly began to seem a higher tier than other players. Made others better.

Svechnikov somehow got the 1st Star even though Suzuki and Peca were more effective and impactful.

Terrible loss for Knights at 8-4, but good showing for prospects.

Confused:

In your A article you talk RHD

Any thoughts on Petro or Hultstrom from FLA?

Petrovic comes up a lot and I do think the Oilers would have high value on him. He isn’t a puck mover but his handedness makes him interesting.

60. hags9k says:

Professor Q,

I hate that I am starting to get into the draft prospects already, but Bouchard has jumped off the page for me early. I have not seen him play.

61. Sighduck says:

OriginalPouzar,

Confidence is a hell of a drug, I think far too many observers are critical of the player almost entirely because of his size. Sample size is a thing and 9 games (less than 150 mins) is crazy small if we are going to judge his NHL time analytically.

As a player who’s motor seems to always be running I have a hard time seeing him not carve out at least a niche role in the NHL as a dogged fore checker. Obviously how far up the NHL roster he eventually climbs is up to him and his play but the thought of him and Mcdavid stealing pucks and springing each other all over the ice is intoxicating.

62. Sighduck says:

If the Oilers won the lottery and drafted Dahlin what would the offseason look like? Offload the slow boots and sign Graber or would Chia be a bit more aggressive with the roster?

63. Wilde says:

The Ice are getting murdered. Yeesh.

64. Oz says:

OriginalPouzar,

Long time reader first time commentator
    Way to push back OP!
    Oilmann99 this is a forum for discussion, not cheap shots

65. OriginalPouzar says:

Yamamoto adds a third assist to go with his goal.

Benson with a first period assist.

66. Wilde says:

Ty Smith is a lovely skater.

67. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

I heard there are cheap shots in this here gin joint tonight. Next round’s on me. Tequila for all.

68. OriginalPouzar says:

Oz:   (Quote)  (Reply)

Welcome – and thank you.

69. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Yamamoto adds a third assist to go with his goal.

Benson with a first period assist.

That high slot tip PP play, man. All game.

70. Pescador says:

Professor Q:
    I recant the “Bouchard is effective yet unnoticeable” position.

Terrible loss for Knights at 8-4, but good showing for prospects.

Awesome stuff, thx for posting all night while in attendance.
    2 questions;
    Did you have a good time with your bro?
    Bouchard skating?
    I’ve read excellent and underwhelming reviews

71. Pescador says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):

Ha, I pegged you for more of a Sake guy

72. Wilde says:

Yamamoto with another. takeaway to assist the empty netter.

73. OriginalPouzar says:

Condors down 4-0.

Ellis comes in to replace Starrett.

74. Wilde says:

So that’d be a 5 point night if he didn’t hit the post on an open net.

TO THE ECHL.

75. OmJo says:

Hags9k,

I know it’s a very unpopular opinion, and fighting words to some people lol, but I agree a lot with how you feel wrt the contracts McDavid and Draisaitl signed this summer in your post in the morning thread. I was hoping he would sign for something like 9.7M over 8 years myself, even if it wasn’t a realistic hope. I wanted Draisaitl at $6M per year.

But in the bigger picture, they were signed on the assumption – a very likely assumption – that the cap is going to increase significantly over the next 8 years. McDavid could have very well gotten league maximum, and he didn’t. I remember reading that his contract is equivalent to the contract Crosby signed, it occupies the same percentage of the cap as Crosby. The contract still isn’t as bad as some of the other contracts that have been given over the years before the last lockout. Although we will probably be witnessing another lockout soon enough.

76. Professor Q says:

Pescador: Awesome stuff, thx for posting all night while in attendance.
    2 questions;
    Did you have a good time with your bro?
    Bouchard skating?
    I’ve read excellent and underwhelming reviews

Thank you very much! It was actually a very fulfilling and meaningful outing with my brother. Especially on Military Night.

As for skating, I admit he wasn’t smooth. Potentially part of why he wasn’t noticeable unless he had the puck or was scoring. He really does have a blast of a shot and really is more of an offensive defenceman than he is a defensive defenceman. Even with some truculance (hard hits especially into corners, and even an elbowing penalty), and Russell Resets©.

Perhaps he is like an Ovechkin. He isn’t smooth in his transitioning nor skating, but can wiggle and find himself in the right positioning, even with microtransitions.

77. Professor Q says:

Sighduck:

Likely a trade of Sekera or…unfortunately…Klefbom.

However! Recent reports suggest a stand-pat order is in effect and no major changes will occur.

Dahlin could blossom in the SHL or AHL.

78. Melvis says:

JD_Wry,

Errr…previous blog. You’re right about just sticking to the booze. I might have over done the part about the ass kissing.

79. hags9k says:

OmJo,

Yes, I just feel like neither contract could have been described as team friendly. If you really want to build / be a part of a winner, I think they needed to be. I grew up watching Jordan’s Bulls and keep going back to how he knew he had to take a haircut for the team to win…Maybe not apples to apples but you get the point.

People will say Connor signing here for 8 years at whatever $ is a win for the Oilers. I agree if the goal is to be a team in the NHL. If the goal is to win cups, it’s important his contract needs to be a good deal with respect to cap just like any player, or actually more important.

Both deals were too high in my opinion, and actions have consequences.

Note that I really don’t want to bang this drum and be overly critical of these two awesome players going forward, I would hate to see the fans go full Horcoff, we know that ends in trades for beans.

But they are going to have massive pressure to lift the club up to new heights and they will not have the help they may have if they would have left some money on the table.

As other people have mentioned here, what is the difference in $$ long term, off the ice, for Connor if he is a multi cup champ, vs a great player in the second division. It may have been a wiser play financially to invest in better teammates.

80. who says:

Sighduck:

Interesting scenario
    If it actually happened I would suggest that Chia will probably seriously consider trading Klefbom, especially if he gets Nurse locked up long term.

81. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Pescador: Ha, I pegged you for more of a Sake guy

Haha. Neither good sake nor good tequila are meant for shootng.

But having spent a lot of time in the Southwest there are some pretty beautiful handmade tequilas down there that you just can’t find in Canada.

Same goes for sake. I get mine from a friend that makes it in the mountains 5.5 hours from Tokyo.

82. hags9k says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

That sounds awesome, makes for a nice little romantic sake commercial in my mind.

83. Halfwise says:

hags9k:
    NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker),

My favorite Japanese commercial involved a guy in traditional Japanese garb drinking sake while watching the snow fall, from his little cabin in the mountains. The sake was described, iirc, as yuki-mi-sake, literally sake for watching falling snow. Tugging at the traditional heartstrings. It’s a whole different vibe when they do that.

84. leadfarmer says:

Wilde:
    So that’d be a 5 point night if he didn’t hit the post on an open net.

TO THE ECHL.

No, first he has to go back to junior and then the following year to the ECHL.

LT you and I had this draft pegged. We both had Peterson higher than everyone else and we both were higher on Yamamoto than most. The kid beat the guy picked 2 ov offensively hands down last year

85. OriginalPouzar says:

OmJo: t

I don’t disagree at all and was quite vocal at the time that, given the contract has the highest cap hit in the league, by like $2M/season, its far from a discount and actually quite the oppositie. I was (and am) OK with McDavid’s contract but don’t agree with the masses that it was a discount contract because he didn’t get the max – the max would be an asinine contact.

86. OriginalPouzar says:

Professor Q: Likely a trade of Sekera or…unfortunately…Klefbom.

Dahlin could blossom in the SHL or AHL.

I’m not sure if that’s 100% accurate. It isnt’ a “stand-pat” order – its an acknowledgement that there are many good pieces here and that they don’t need to below it up. The core is young and strong and they don’t need any major trades but will work to fill the holes.

87. GMB3 says:

I’m honestly surprised that the dman Sebastian Aho wasn’t picked higher than the 5th round. 30 points in 50 games in the SHL as a 20 year old blue.

88. OriginalPouzar says:

The “other” Sebastian Aho – so confusing.

89. OriginalPouzar says:

24 points in 9 games for Yamamoto since returning from WJHC.

90. OriginalPouzar says:

Hebig, Skinner, Benson, Maksimov, Wells, Vessel in action today.

91. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar: I’m not sure if that’s 100% accurate.It isnt’ a “stand-pat” order – its an acknowledgement that there are many good pieces here and that they don’t need to below it up.The core is young and strong and they don’t need any major trades but will work to fill the holes.

You basically just repeated what I said though.

92. OriginalPouzar says:

Well, maybe, excpet my point is there is much to do in the spring/summer, many holes to try and fill and potentially some cap hit to move – its not “stand pat” but, at the same time, there won’t be blockbusters (i.e the trade of Klefbom or Nurse, etc.).