G51 2017-18: Lightning at Oilers

The Oilers are about to hit the highway and take it to the limit. Between tonight and April 7, Edmonton will play 32 games in 62 days (if my fingers and toes are telling the truth). That’s a lot of work with not much rest, and this Edmonton Oilers team doesn’t have much depth in a few very important places. On the other hand, maybe they find a rhythm and warm to the California sun.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

I LIKE YOU, LLOYD. I ALWAYS LIKED YOU, YEAR OVER YEAR

• February 2016: 1-0-0, goal differential +4 (2 points)
  • February 2017: 0-1-0, goal differential -2
  • February 2018: 0-0-1, goal differential -1 (1 point)
  • February 4, 2016: Edmonton 7, Ottawa 2 (Source)
  • February 3, 2017: Carolina 2, Edmonton 1 (Source)

Interesting start to February both years, the 2015-16 team had a nice little run going and the 2016-17 team was stumbling out of the gate. I thought the Oilers were inconsistent in the Colorado game but there were some good things, too. Tonight will be a big challenge.

AFTER 50, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 19-26-5, goal differential -30 (43 points)
  • Oilers 16-17: 27-15-8, goal differential +18 (62 points)
  • Oilers 17-18: 22-24-4, goal differential -24 (48 points)
  • February 2, 2016: Edmonton 5, Columbus 1 (Source)
  • January 26, 2017: Edmonton 4, San Jose 1 (Source)

Edmonton has settled in now as a team that could finish with 75-85 points, in my opinion. There’s always a chance the Oilers go on a ridiculous run but it hasn’t been building or anything. This team is properly represented by their won-loss record.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM FEBRUARY

• At home to: Colorado, Tampa Bay (Expected 0-1-1) (Actual 0-0-1)
  • On the road to: Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Florida (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Vegas, Arizona, Colorado (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Boston, Colorado (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose (Expected 0-2-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 5-6-3, 13 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 0-0-1, one point in one game

The Pacific Division awaits with three monster road trips during this month, first one begins later this week. In the six games to come versus California, Edmonton would have to do massive damage in order to poke a hole in the standings. If there is a run to come, it will arrive much too late.

OSCAR KLEFBOM

He’s coming on now, at least to my eye. In Oscar’s last three games, he has 15 shots on goal, including seven in the Colorado contest. He had a terrific game with Matt Benning in possession and his Corsi Rel is heading north:

1. Darnell Nurse 2.52
  2. Oscar Klefbom 0.12
  3. Brandon Davidson 0.12
  4. Matt Benning 0.06
  5. Andrej Sekera -0.96
  6. Adam Larsson -1.27
  7. Kris Russell -4.21
  8. (NaturalStatTrick)

Klefbom does a little better via Fenwick, as does Russell (of course). I’d be fine bringing back the whole damn bunch, but a 2RHD is badly needed.  Jeff Petry would be a fantastic addition, ladies and men.

Jesse Puljujarvi is a fine young winger and for me not giving him a strong center is poor form. If he kicks in some goals and ends this season with 15 (or so), we can safely project him as a regular. If he waltzes through the final 30 games with a meager total, then we cannot be certain of his success on a scoring line next season. Hell’s bells man, this is basic development of young players! I’m going to write on this subject over at The Athletic this week. It’s a big damned story.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy, fun show filled with singing and debauchery, just like any normal Eagles fan would have it. At 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Pierre Lebrun, The Athletic. Trade deadline is coming and there are tons of rumors.
  • Jason Gregor, TSN1260. Super Bowl! Plus Oilers play tonight!

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.

Fletcher Cox is my favorite football player, I’m so happy for him. I’m also thrilled for all Eagles fans, whether they joined the group in 1940 or 1960 or 1975 and beyond. I am so damned happy, my teams haven’t won a lot since 1990 and this is fabulous. It’s difficult to put it all into words, but Tommy Lawlor at Iggles Blitz summed it up perfectly:

• The 2017 Eagles won the Super Bowl. But that win was for all the Eagles…Harold, Jaws, Reggie, Westy, Dawk, Trent and even Big Red. Vermeil’s guys. Gang Green. The fun 1995 team. The 2002 Eagles, who won with 3 different starting QBs. The 2004 team. The 2008 team. The Michael Vick Experience of 2010. All of those players were like ghosts, sitting on the Eagles sideline and doing anything they could to help the Eagles pull that game out.
  • Source

312 Responses to "G51 2017-18: Lightning at Oilers"

Newer Comments »
  1. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Enjoy your championship morning, LT. How sweet it must be!

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Finally its game day – 3 games in 18 days was terrible but now I think they have like 32 in 64 (or something similar to that). Hopefully they can provide us with some consistent and exciting hockey in that stretch.

I have no idea what the lines are tonight but I’m assuming they will be similar to last game.

Looking for another strong performance by the McDavid and Drai combo as well as another solid performance by Strome at center – creating offence and maybe getting some more PK time.

Go Oilers!

3. OriginalPouzar says:

5 8pm starts and 1 8:30 start in February – with a 2:37am wake up time, that’s perverse – there will be some office naps in February.

Hopefully they continue to dominate the Pacific division and make those late nights worth it!

4. OriginalPouzar says:

I think the rest over the last month (plus over Christmas) has done wonders for Oscar’s shoulder – at least it seems that way on the ice.

Although he didn’t struggle in the first half last year to the extent he has this year, lets not forget that he was materially better in the 2nd half last year. Maybe he’s a slow starter like our starting netminder?

5. OriginalPouzar says:

“Klefbom does a little better via Fenwick, as does Russell (of course). I’d be fine bringing back the whole damn bunch, but a 2RHD is badly needed. Jeff Petry would be a fantastic addition, ladies and men.”

I’ve been clamoring for the addition of a 2RD this off-season moreso that a top 6 winger.

I don’t think its realistic to bring one in unless we get out from one of the contract on the left side (preferably Russell, of course) which I don’t see happening.

Klef and Nurse are the LD core of the future and Sekera is so important to this team and adding a 100% healthy Sekera with a full off-season of training in October is going to be massive. If we could get out from under the Russell contract and use that $4M on a right side addition, I would be in love with our defence:

Klefbom/Larsson
    Nurse/Acquisition Target
    Sekera/Benning

Davidson/Gryba

Money!

6. OriginalPouzar says:

I was asking about Josh Leivo in a Leaf forum of another community and I’m going to paste one of the responses which represents much of what I keep reading about Leivo (and many Leafers would like to keep him over JVR – partially due to contract for next year).

I know he’s got slow boots but he can score goals and shoots the puck and it sounds like the acquisition costs should/would be middling:

—————————–

To be perfectly honest, I’d rather have Leivo.

The guy is good. He just never gets a chance to play, and when he does, he never gets more than a game or two at a time. It’s incredibly hard to get anything going for anyone in that situation.

He’s played 30 games of hockey in the last 2 seasons. Ridiculous.

He doesn’t even necessarily want to leave Toronto amazingly enough. He just wants to play.

If we did trade JVR, and personally I don’t see it happening. I’d prefer to promote Leivo into the lineup over bringing in another winger.

You would love him in Edmonton though. Given a real shot, I could see him scoring 20+ easy. I still say he has one of the best shots in the Leafs organization.

Since I’m sure we won’t trade JVR, and we won’t start playing him any time soon, I’d still target Leivo if I’m the Oilers. He’s got next to no value right now because of how he’s been handled, and would be a great depth scoring option for you. You could have him for a mid round pick I’m guessing. Maybe even a late round pick now.

7. OriginalPouzar says:

With not only Tavares but also Josh Bailey needing new UFA contracts perhaps we can take a contract from the Islanders – maybe we can buy low on Brock Nelson or somehow pry Anders Lee out?

I know, lots of hesitation regarding Chiarelli dealing with Snow (and this would likely be another off-season trade) but Josh Bailey is going to get paid this spring in addition to Tavares and there might be an opportunity there, no?

8. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar:

You know who you can buy low on in the Islanders org?

Joshua Ho-Sang.

9. OriginalPouzar says:

Wilde: You know who you can buy low on in the Islanders org?

Joshua Ho-Sang.

10. bendelson says:

Though I can’t for the life of me understand why someone would cheer for anything Philadelphia, congratulations nevertheless LT… enjoy the victory!

11. Scungilli Slushy says:

—————————–

To be perfectly honest, I’d rather have Leivo.

The guy is good.He just never gets a chance to play, and when he does, he never gets more than a game or two at a time.It’s incredibly hard to get anything going for anyone in that situation.

He’s played 30 games of hockey in the last 2 seasons.Ridiculous.

He doesn’t even necessarily want to leave Toronto amazingly enough.He just wants to play.

If we did trade JVR, and personally I don’t see it happening.I’d prefer to promote Leivo into the lineup over bringing in another winger.

You would love him in Edmonton though.Given a real shot, I could see him scoring 20+ easy.I still say he has one of the best shots in the Leafs organization.

Since I’m sure we won’t trade JVR, and we won’t start playing him any time soon, I’d still target Leivo if I’m the Oilers.He’s got next to no value right now because of how he’s been handled, and would be a great depth scoring option for you.You could have him for a mid round pick I’m guessing.Maybe even a late round pick now.

If he was a little more patient they will probably have roster spots opening up. They aren’t in cap trouble next season, but the year after they have Matthews up, so they are probably going to let a few UFA vets go unless they come back cheap and short.

I was trying CapF with them. They were rumoured to be shopping Bozak earlier, but unless they use Nylander as a 3C they are pretty thin at C for experienced players. Might keep him after all.

12. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar: I’d prefer an NHL player as opposed to one that is pouting in the minor leagues – that’s just me though.

If Hall and Slepy have too much ‘tude for them I can’t imagine the Oilers and Ho Sang or E Kane coming and it being a nice story for us fans.

13. Concur says:

No on any trades with Islanders, I feel anything we would be getting would be damaged goods and on the down side of their career atm.

14. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar:

Although he didn’t struggle in the first half last year to the extent he has this year, lets not forget that he was materially better in the 2nd half last year.Maybe he’s a slow starter like our starting netminder?

Hopefully whatever is wrong is getting better. He needs to stay healthy. I had though maybe Slepy’s earlier injury was slowing him but it didn’t seem to at the skills comp, of course game play being different than a race.

15. Concur says:

Leivo for Slepy.

16. Wilde says:

Josh Leivo: 37 NHL GP since Ho-Sang was drafted.

Joshua Ho-Sang: 43.

Which one’s the NHL player again? I think it’s the one with a better production rate than all but two of our forwards.

And only one of these players has openly asked for a trade, so.

I like both these players and would like to acquire both of them, but your evaluation of the two seems skewed.

17. JimmyV1965 says:

Domi for Schleppy and a pick.

18. Wilde says:

JimmyV1965:
    Domi for Schleppy and a pick.

This is the right idea. It’s gonna cost something.

Hopefully the desert computer boy’s box likes Slepy.

19. thehop says:

JimmyV1965:
    Domi for Schleppy and a pick.

Has anyone heard what the ask is for Domi?

If I’m Chiarelli, I’m not trading Slepyshev. The Oilers cannot afford to subtract anyone from the left or right side. Especially because I think Slepy is a player.

20. Scungilli Slushy says:

JimmyV1965:
    Domi for Schleppy and a pick.

Domi seems like a PC type. Not sure about Ho Sang. Max might need to be reigned in a bit, he is a Domi after all, but hopefully he gets the drill having grown up in the culture. I’d be more worried about young guys who don’t necessarily have good outside perspective to help them.

I think that is partly why so many sons of NHLers make it, other than the inbredness of the NHL. They have a better idea of what to do.

21. dustrock says:

Congrats, LT. I think the last time of my teams won was Italy winning the World Cup in 2006 and I was happy for days.

A friend was kind enough to give me tickets to the game tonight, so I’ll be attending my first game at Rogers.

I’d be more excited if the Oilers were in the playoff hunt, but I am currently leading my hockey pool basically due to Kucherov and Vasilevsky, so I’m excited to see the Bolts play live.

22. Wilde says:

thehop: Has anyone heard what the ask is for Domi?

Domi would be a LW on this team, and is also definitely a player.

If I’m Chiarelli I’m trading Slepyshev if I can’t fire Todd, because we’ll never see that player with him behind the bench.

23. OriginalPouzar says:

Wilde: Josh Leivo: 37 NHL GP since Ho-Sang was drafted.

Joshua Ho-Sang: 43.

And only one of these players has openly asked for a trade, so.

Not that I wouldn’t kick the tires on Ho-Sang, he’s got great skill, however, as of now, I think Leivo would fit the team better and fit in to the dressing room better.

24. jtblack says:

dustrock:
    Congrats, LT.I think the last time of my teams won was Italy winning the World Cup in 2006 and I was happy for days.

25. anjinsan says:

With Phllly’s super bowl victory the images that come to mind are the scenes from the Lord of The Rings when Aragorn offers all the spirits inside the mountain redemption, they take the offer, secure a win against the orcs, and are finally released to rest in peace. Amen to the Philly Nation through the ages.

26. thehop says:

Wilde,

I’m with you man. I love Domi. I’m curious if there are any hints as to what the ask is.

Personally I prefer Caggulia or Strome going the other way. I’m guessing they want a draft pick as well.
    But I’m spitballing here.

If anyone has the goods on the rumour.. Spill the beans!

27. russ99 says:

IMO all the Chia bets should go unless we can get some cost certainty in a new contract.

Strome could be a keeper but he has the $3M QO.

Caggiula hasn’t shown much enough other than his speed, and every one of the RFAs could show well playing with McDavid.

Slepyshev is ripe for RFA pickings, as someone will pay for his skill level even though it hasn’t added up in games.

Benning should be sold high while we can get good assets back on potential. He’s a ways from a complete player and Auvitu could be a cheaper puck moving replacement without much fall-off.

It boils down to if we are willing to pay any of these guys 2/$6.5+, because that’s the going rate.

Unless we subtract cap elsewhere, I’d prefer that going to players who have a proven NHL game.

Also, I’d really love for the club to put the kabash on moving NMCs or buyouts of players on NMCs as it’s become a daily rollout of wishful thinking from the fanbase.

28. OriginalPouzar says:

Are Oiler fans enthralled with Domi because of that massive performance that he has against us a couple of years ago – 3 goals?

He’s barely matched that total since that game.

Also, I’m not sure if he’s that “physical” – NHL.com has him averaging 0.6 hit/game (up from 0.4 hit/game last year).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m absolutely willing to buy low on this kid if the Yotes want to give him away – frankly 22 points in 52 games isn’t all that bad for a struggling forward on his ELC.

29. ArmchairGM says:

JimmyV1965:
    Domi for Schleppy and a pick.

Is that going to do it though? The fanbois over at CapFriendly are giving up multiple players and high picks for Domi. That’s ridiculous, of course, but what is the right price?

30. dustrock says:

jtblack: Watch Hedman tonight. You will see the difference between our NHL defenseman and a D man who flat out Dominates all over the Ice for 25+ Mins.

Yup, I’m excited to see all the talent Tampa Bay has, as well as McDavid.

31. cc says:

Just stopped in to see if they’ve fired McLellan yet.

32. OriginalPouzar says:

Just an optional skate for the boys today so we won’t get great information on the lines but the lineup is expected to be the same as last game with Talbot in net.

I’m looking for another strong performance by Strome at center.

33. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar: I’ll take the player with the seemingly great attitude in Josh Leivo at this point as opposed to the guy that’s pouting in the minors in particular since he’s know for his plus shot and is a shooter – kind of what we need.

We blew up this team over ‘dressing room’ issues and ‘fitting the team’. This is the definition of insanity.

34. Wilde says:

russ99:

Auvitu is LH and has never played the right side, and is also a one-dimensional player.

One of my favourites, but still.

35. cc says:

OriginalPouzar,

Hesitation… understatment… I’ve been keeping an eye on Eberle this season playing along side a couple of Oiler draft picks (16th & 28th for Reinhart) Barzal and Beauvillier. Chiarelli is in way over his head with Snow.

36. OriginalPouzar says:

Wilde: How is one player ‘pouting in the minors’ and another player who asked for a trade not ‘pouting’? You haven’t answered that question.

First and foremost, he expressed a desire to play – he just wants to get on the ice and play and keep developing. He expressed that playing 20 games over the last few years isn’t enough. He expressed a grand desire to stay in Toronto but more than anything he wants to play so, if they aren’t going to play him, he would like to be moved.

Here is the quote from Ho Sang’s coach after being healthy scratched in the AHL:

“He’s a baby,” Thompson told the New York Post, referring to the soon-to-be 22-year-old young professional. “He’s a baby, he’s immature and he’s got a lot of growing to do. I’m excited. The upside of him is outstanding. He worked hard today, he’s been working really hard. We all make mistakes, we all have bad games. It’s how do we respond from those and what do we learn from them?

“Every piece of this season for Josh, with us, is a development piece. It’s just going to be a longer process with some people.”

37. OmJo says:

—————————–

To be perfectly honest, I’d rather have Leivo.

He’s played 30 games of hockey in the last 2 seasons.Ridiculous.

#FreeLeivo?

38. DBO says:

Fuzzy britches mentioned Faulk for Benning plus, as Carolina is reeling and heading for cap issues having to pay their young D corps. I have been after Faulk for awhile now, and he would perfectly solve our 2RD problem. Also allows Russell to be our 3RD, which is a great spot for him.

Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse-Faulk
    Sekera-Russell
    Davidson

Add Domi for picks (maybe what you pick up for Maroon and Letestu) and possibly Slepeshev (he will not play under McClellan. Side Burns) and you add a top 9 winger with size and speed under control who is an RFA but not sitting on as much a raise as Maroon. Heck,trade for him and re sign Maroon in off season and your left side becomes a strength.

Domi-McDavid-Puljujarvi
    Lucic-Draisatl-Strome
    Maroon-Nuge-Yamamoto
    Cagguila-Khaira-Kassian

39. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar: Have you read the actual statements from the Leivo camp or just listened to Kypreos or read the headlines?

First and foremost, he expressed a desire to play – he just wants to get on the ice and play and keep developing.He expressed that playing 20 games over the last few years isn’t enough. He expressed a grand desire to stay in Toronto but more than anything he wants to play so, if they aren’t going to play him, he would like to be moved.

Issue is, I’m not accusing either of being pouty.

The Leivo stuff is obvious trade posturing, not saying it’s not true what they’re saying, but it’s definite posturing. Guy like Lou doesn’t let trade requests out without some quotes like that coming out too.

Whereas Bridgeport’s coach is also posturing, to try to motivate the player. If he asks for a trade, expect something like this to come out:

“Josh’s still young, and has tons of potential, but it just wasn’t working out with our team and systems blah blah he’s got a great work ethic and I know he’ll do well with a fresh start blah blah.”

And that stuff about expressing a desire to play? All over Ho-Sang’s interviews. Again, you’re not holding the players to the same standards at all.

Never take sports exec’s words at face value, unless it’s MacTavish.

I could link you some stuff on Maroon’s work ethic and attitude before we got him, if you want. These are the risks worth taking, we’re not going to acquire good players at a rate higher than our competition without them.

40. Scungilli Slushy says:

One wonders if PC isn’t a little worried about the safety of the water going back to Garth’s well.

41. Scungilli Slushy says:

Congrats on the Eagles LT. I don’t always watch the SB because it has so often been a snorefest, and for some reason I’ve always preferred the CFL even though it’s of course not nearly as good, but that was a whale of a game. Hard to see Foles riding pine next season after that game.

42. hunter1909 says:

I’ll go out on a limb and predict at least an OTL point.

They’re seriously got to string a few W’s together, just so the fanbase can stop reaching for the freebase.

43. OriginalPouzar says:

Wilde: Yes, I have read it. I do my homework, you should know not to ask me that question, by now.

Issue is, I’m not accusing either of being pouty.

Never take sports exec’s words at face value, unless it’s MacTavish.

Fair enough.

44. Scungilli Slushy says:

hunter1909:
    I’ll go out on a limb and predict at least an OTL point.

I’d rather they be well and clearly out so PC doesn’t do wrong things like ‘let the boys go for it’. The boys need to own that it’s over and that they need to be a lot better to get where they want to be.

There are only two players that showed up most games – Nuge and Connor – but they also need to take another step in game maturity. Everybody can learn from this disappointment.

I’d far rather they get settled into what’s going to happen at the draft and next year, very soon. We’ll start seeing some deals and it could affect prices for Oilers.

45. Pink Socks says:

Wilde:

Never take sports exec’s words at face value, unless it’s MacTavish.

46. Pink Socks says:

Wilde:

True, but Ho-Sang is the guy that has had issues at every level. Attitude problems that had some teams refusing to draft him. Then a missed practice at Isles training camp (if I remember correctly) that got him sent on the first flight back to juniors. That combined with an agent that acknowledges the kid is a baby. Ouch.

I don’t remember Maroon having the constant issues like Ho-Sang. Definitely straightened himself out whereas Ho-Sang has a long history and just can’t seem to put it all together mentally.

47. JD_Wry says:

Richard Morin‏
    @BigRickMorin

Just caught up with John Chayka, who said that reports suggesting #Yotes are actively shopping Max Domi are inaccurate.
    10:17 AM – 5 Feb 2018

48. Extend Russell says:

Jmho

Domi to the leafs for Levio and a pick

You saw it here first

49. OriginalPouzar says:

@kristen_shilton
    2h2 hours ago
    Josh Leivo spoke with us for the first time since trade request reports cropped up on Saturday: “I just want to play hockey. I do want to play for the Maple Leafs, that’s why I signed another year. But at the same point I just want to play, right?”

50. Pink Socks says:

If PC manages to get value for Maroon, Letestu, and Cammalleri, possibly flip Strome for something, and add a piece such as Domi or Faulk or Hoffman without giving away a handful of high picks in a deep draft I sure would be happy. Dream next 6 months:

1) Coach Q gets fired in Chicago and gets hired in Edmonton
    2) Maroon and something is traded for Kyrou
    3) Benning and something is traded for Faulk
    4) Letestu and Cammalleri bring back picks
    5) Strome brothers are reunited in Phoenix and Domi comes back
    6) Oil win draft lottery
    7) Nurse is signed for 8 years <$40 million

51. John Chambers says:

Pink Socks,

Young guys with attitude problems all manage at some point to do something important: age.

I’m actually bullish on Evander Kane for that reason. A 27 year old version of EK is much less of a problem than his 22 year old self.

The Islanders will have expended a tonne into Ho-Sang’s development, and if he can be acquired for cheap I’m sure his better version will emerge with his new team.

52. Pink Socks says:

@kristen_shilton
    2h2 hours ago

Admittedly I don’t follow the Leafs at all, and I don’t get TSN here so I at least can easily avoid the centre of the hockey universe being shoved down my throat, but I would think one has to feel badly for the guy. Seems like a solid individual who has been given the Slepy treatment out east. Hopefully someone picks him up and gives him the opportunity. I fear that if PC brings him in it would just be more of the same with a coach who would rather dress Pakarinen.

53. Pink Socks says:

John Chambers:
    Pink Socks,

I certainly can’t disagree with this. The other Kane in Chicago has certainly had his fair share of issues but it isn’t a problem because of who he is on the ice. Hopefully Ho-Sang figures it out.

54. OriginalPouzar says:

McKenzie is reporting that TBL is looking to add a veteran d-man and will not “be shy about mortgaging the future”.

Hopefully Russell has a standout game tonight.

Yes, fantasy.

55. Wilde says:

Pink Socks: True, but Ho-Sang is the guy that has had issues at every level.Attitude problems that had some teams refusing to draft him.Then a missed practice at Isles training camp (if I remember correctly) that got him sent on the first flight back to juniors.That combined with an agent that acknowledges the kid is a baby.Ouch.

I don’t remember Maroon having the constant issues like Ho-Sang.Definitely straightened himself out whereas Ho-Sang has a long history and just can’t seem to put it all together mentally.

That’s because Maroon was a low-profile signing and Ho-Sang is a famous prospect that dominated from midget in the GTA, to the OHL.

Maroon played one OHL season at age 20 after playing roller hockey and NAHL, then toiled in the AHL before eventually emerging as a complimentary player.

Different level of spotlights

56. Alpine says:

Pink Socks:
    If PC manages to get value for Maroon, Letestu, and Cammalleri, possibly flip Strome for something, and add a piece such as Domi or Faulk or Hoffman without giving away a handful of high picks in a deep draft I sure would be happy.Dream next 6 months:

1) Coach Q gets fired in Chicago and gets hired in Edmonton
    2) Maroon and something is traded for Kyrou
    3) Benning and something is traded for Faulk
    4) Letestu and Cammalleri bring back picks
    5) Strome brothers are reunited in Phoenix and Domi comes back
    6) Oil win draft lottery
    7) Nurse is signed for 8 years <$40 million

Not sure if CAR gives up Faulk for anything short of a bonafide forward. They got some good pieces up front but two of them are 30+ in Ryan and Williams and Staal is 28.

57. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar:

Hopefully Russell has a standout game tonight.

Yes, fantasy.

I mean, they signed Girardi. So…

58. Material pocession says:

cc:
    OriginalPouzar,

Hesitation… understatment… I’ve been keeping an eye on Eberle this season playing along side a couple of Oiler draft picks (16th & 28th for Reinhart) Barzal and Beauvillier.Chiarelli is in way over his head with Snow.

I don’t think that your facts are accurate.

59. StixMalone says:

OriginalPouzar:

Hopefully Russell has a standout game tonight.

Yes, fantasy.

If Chia asks Russel to remove the NTC and go to a Stanley Cup contender Russel should jump at the chance!!! (Hope he’s reading this)

60. JD_Wry says:

StixMalone,

But will he still be able to Russell some cows in Florida?

61. Scungilli Slushy says:

If khaira or Strome could play 3C would you deal Nuge for Faulk and a good forward prospect or young player?

Or if they need to replace Faulk send Nuge Benning for Faulk a prospect and a first?

I’m not sure how good Faulk is these days however. His points are down this year.

Being able to sell Russell high to Tampa and a year earlier than anticipated would be a shocker.

62. OriginalPouzar says:

StixMalone: If Chia asks Russel to remove the NTC and go to a Stanley Cup contender Russel should jump at the chance!!!(Hope he’s reading this)

I don’t know, Tampa Bay is a LONG way from Western Canada and, from accounts, he really wanted to be out west.

On the other hand, I don’t imagine Lucic refusing to waive his NMC for a number of destinations.

63. Scungilli Slushy says:

JD_Wry:
    StixMalone,

But will he still be able to Russell some cows in Florida?

They have cows with long horns down there, bigger challenge!

64. JD_Wry says:

Scungilli Slushy: long horns

He might want to steer clear of those.

65. PaperDesigner says:

I have a very simple theory.

Connor McDavid just needs to believe that he can be the greatest player to play the game, and then just be himself.

The rest of the team will follow him.

I think he’s spent too much time worrying about being the team captain, and what that means.

They’ll be fine. It will be better for them if they don’t sell off key pieces like Nurse, Klefbom, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins and the rest for pennies on the dollar.

This team will be fine. I think the analytics back this up.

Now let’s see barely miss the playoffs after an incredible run, letting them get just one more first overall pick so the NHL changes its rules again! Only one first overall pick per every three years! The Edmonton rule.

66. PaperDesigner says:

PaperDesigner,

And just to be clear, I don’t think they should get the first overall pick AGAIN. A little tongue-in-cheek humour. You know, Because Oilers.

The D Tampa are thinking about acquiring are Karlsson or McDonagh, NOT 3rd pairing types like Russell. They have an over-abundance of 3rd pairing type D. They are only considering whether they should add a #3D or better, a top pairing D.

godot10:
    The D Tampa are thinking about acquiring are Karlsson or McDonagh, NOT 3rd pairing types like Russell.They have an over-abundance of 3rd pairing type D.They are only considering whether they should add a #3D or better, a top pairing D.

And they have the ammo to go get Karlsson if they want….but they can’t afford to re-sign him. That sort of is the issue with Karlsson and McDonagh…do they sell off a little of their deep prospect pool for two playoff runs with Karlsson or McDonagh.

69. In the Grease says:

OriginalPouzar,

Hey guys,

Hello from Brooklyn, NY.

I don’t comment much – maybe a handful of times over the years, but felt the need to today.

I’m actually working on a project painting portraits of NHL players, in particular focusing on players of color, with the first exhibition planned for February of next year in conjunction with Black History month and the Hockey is for Everyone initiative. I wrote LT back in the summer after having dinner with PK Subban in Montreal – much to tell there, just got swept away by work. Sorry I didn’t post in a timely fashion LT. I’ll circle back on my convo with PK but lots of gems for sure.

I just met with Anson Carter and Willie O’Ree – recognized as the Jackie Robinson of hockey – here in NY on Friday at Google for a panel discussion. Interesting comments from Carter, among them we discussed Josh Ho Sang. Seems after his sleeping in and missing practice fiasco, Carter took it upon himself to call Ho Sang and basically tell him “he was f***ing up and needed to get his s**t together” amongst other things, especially because – like it or not – he has an additional responsibility as a visible minority player.

Later at an NHL event in NY, Carter was approached by a woman with tears in her eyes who told him he had a huge impact on her life, and her son’s life. Carter said he was kind of stunned (Bill Daly was standing next to him) and said “I’m sorry do i know you?” and she said “we’ve never met but I’m Erica Ho Sang, Joshua’s mother – what you told him really shook him up and he’s really changed his outlook on everything – thank you!”

I’m currently working on a portrait (oil on canvas) of Josh Ho Sang, had a long conversation with him at the BioSteel camp last summer. ( I also had the chance to meet his mother, who is a wonderful woman) I have to tell you the vibes were nothing but positive and Josh’s attitude was confident but humble and appreciative and his mother told me he has matured a lot and they were really excited about this season. He looked very quick and dynamic on the ice as well – highly skilled player. In my opinion, a super cool kid who has nothing but potential, and had a bit of maturing to do.

I also met Elliotte Friedman at the BioSteel camp (mentioned the Lowetide blog and he said “Yes! Allan Mitchell, and a cool bunch over there” ) and we had a chance to talk a bit of hockey, including regarding Ho Sang – Friedman said he was looking good, and could see a breakout season coming from him. I think Eberle and of course Bailey’s breakthrough this year have been in the way.

I mentioned to Carter that Chiarelli should inquire about Ho Sang – and Carter said he thought Snow would be very hesitant to do that for fear of losing that deal – he said Ho Sang could be a great fit on McDAvid’s wing, he’d love to see it.

I’ll leave it here – I realize I’m dropping a lot of names here, but wanted to add my two cents to the discussion. I’m sure Ho Sang is disappointed but I doubt he is “pouting in the minors” – I for one, would love to see him in Oilers silks. Hope to have more insight after I speak to him next.

I’m also working on portraits of Darnell Nurse ( he dominated at BioSteel camp, and looked strong as hell, def expected him to have a good season) , Wayne Simmonds, Joel Ward, Devante Smith-Pelly, Jordan Subban, and PK, as well as Akil Thomas – LT I saw you mention his name recently. I spent an afternoon with Akil and his father Kahlil right after the U18s – great kid, great family. Would also love to see him on the Oilers.

p.s. I’m originally from Edmonton, hope to bring the exhibition there sometime in 2019

70. JD_Wry says:

In the Grease,

Great stuff, ITG!

71. Zelepukin says:

I’m looking forward to a somewhat normal NHL schedule now. Having said that, hopefully the Dadbot curse can be lifted and he won’t let in the first shot in the first game back after more than 2 days off.

72. In the Grease says:

In the Grease,

JD_Wry,

Thanks!

73. Bobcaygeon says:

If the Oilers want to be a championship team in the next two to three years then Lucic cannot be part of this team…imho.

The defence needs to be upgraded as does the forward group…..

My question is HOW does that happen with this current roster??

74. jtblack says:

Are the Oilers still using “The Flying Grain Elevator” Formation on the PK?

75. jtblack says:

Bobcaygeon:

The defence needs to be upgraded as does the forward group…..

My question is HOW does that happen with this current roster??

2 of the 3 are already here? Yammy prob next yr. So what is your exact point?

Side Note: Yammy has 26 Points in his last 10 Games

76. GMB3 says:

OriginalPouzar:

He’s barely matched that total since that game.

77. GMB3 says:

jtblack: “I hate to be the pessimist but I can’t see it being done without names like Draisaitl, Puljujarvi or Yamamoto….”

2 of the 3 are already here?Yammy prob next yr. So what is your exact point?

Side Note: Yammy has 26 Points in his last 10 Games

I believe he meant that a trade that would make a material impact on our roster probably will see one of those players heading out of town

78. Bobcaygeon says:

2 of the 3 are already here?Yammy prob next yr. So what is your exact point?

Side Note: Yammy has 26 Points in his last 10 Games

He’s arguably worth more right now then at anytime going forward, that’s why I put him as a useful asset.
    My point is How do you fix the roster with what the Oilers have now…….

79. OmJo says:

godot10:

Or so I’ve been told.

80. jtblack says:

Bobcaygeon: Yes, Yamamoto is doing well now, in the WHL……Truth is nobody has any idea how Yamamoto will turn out.
    My point is How do you fix the roster with what the Oilers have now…….

Got it. Its a tricky place PC has backed himself into.

I think we will be OK next yr. BUT I thought we would be OK this year.

81. jtblack says:

My Stubborn self will not fully endorse this team until they have 3 Legit RHD playing the right side.

Maybe PC will be a bit more Pro Active in the off season this year 😉

82. OilClog says:

In the Grease,

Amazing, you should be here dropping names more often.

Anyone saying Ho Sang is pouting needs to stop being brainwashed by the Toronto MSM. Allowing one Dreger side mouth report to build your narrative is a crummy way to enjoy the story.

83. OilClog says:

My point is How do you fix the roster with what the Oilers have now…….

Yams is a great assset, if there’s a signed for 4-5yrs 30-40 goal scorer available between 23-28 available. Dreams

Everyone talks Hoffman, imo his cliff is on the short side of 30.

They’ll just sign Kovalchuk and trade him 37 games in due to his tidude’d up sideburns.

84. ArmchairGM says:

GMB3: Seems to be a better player than Strome despite being the younger player on a very poor team. I have no idea how posters here think sleppy and a pick gets it done for a 22 year old top 15 pick who scored at reasonable levels his first two seasons

5×5/60 scoring / PDO for Domi
    1.95 / 1.038
    2.04 / 1.014
    1.05 / 0.977

for Strome
    1.51 / 0.998
    2.56 / 1.013
    1.35 / 0.992
    1.58 / 0.999
    1.59 / 0.996

So Domi’s 5×5/60 looks great for two seasons, but was PDO-ing like crazy. All other stats (CF% / FF% / SF% etc) are generally in the low- to mid-40’s, whereas that first year his GF% was in the high 50’s. I don’t think that’s repeatable.

85. OriginalPouzar says:

OilClog:
    In the Grease,

Amazing, you should be here dropping names more often.

His coach did call him a baby with lots of growing up to do……..

86. Wilde says:

ArmchairGM: Yeah, I agree. What about Strome for Domi deal? Straight up? if not, who adds? from looking at the stats this seems pretty fair, but it depends on if you think Domi can bounce back or not…

5×5/60 scoring / PDO for Domi
    1.95/1.038
    2.04/1.014
    1.05/0.977

for Strome
    1.51/0.998
    2.56/1.013
    1.35/0.992
    1.58/0.999
    1.59/0.996

When you’re adjusting individual production like that, you should be using only the S% half of PDO, because oiSV% doesn’t affect a players production really, and having a high oiSV% could drive a players PDO north of 100 while they still are getting unlucky on oiS%.

Example:

Player A gets 2.0/60, with 100 PDO : 15.0% oiS% and 0.850SV%

versus

Player B gets 2.0/60 with 100 PDO : 5.0% oiS% and 0.950SV%

Player B got wildly unluckier production wise, but has the same PDO as Player A.

87. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar: His coach did call him a baby with lots of growing up to do……..

He did, and Ho Sang may have a ways to go.

I think with high talent kids patience can be a problem. They are used to being treated differently and basically accomplishing pretty much whatever they want to on the ice, team championships of course not in one player’s control.

The question is whether they can accept being at the bottom of the totem pole and working up, for most. What worked before probably doesn’t when all of the players are good. Was it Khaira who mentioned in the NHL little oversights end up in the back of the net asap?

We repeatedly see you skill forwards come in shy on two way play, because they can’t just out skill and skate everyone else.

I think this is perhaps the thing with Slepy. He knows he has more ability than players getting at bats, but that isn’t enough now.

88. Scungilli Slushy says:

Ho Sang is a weird case. His junior and AHL numbers are not that impressive considering he is a skill player, his NHL numbers better relatively. I have no idea about usage.

89. Wilde says:

Scungilli Slushy,

Another annoying case of lack of TOI data, but in the NHL we know for sure he was underutilised, as he’s 2.61/60 at evens this season, in 252 minutes.

I’d bet his AHL coach is dicking his minutes as well. I find it hard to believe a player of his calibre wouldn’t go PPG in the AHL with 18 minutes a night.

90. Scungilli Slushy says:

Wilde:
    Scungilli Slushy,

He didn’t score a lot in junior for a smaller skill player. A real role of the dice IMO. He’ll need to be more than.5 PPG in the bigs to stick IMO unless he wants to be a 3rd liner. This has likely been the root issue, not enough production for the histrionics.

If he’s changed his tune it could be a steal.

91. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Scungilli Slushy,

He has a ton of skill. The type of player that could land on a veteran team like Pittsburgh and light it up.

On the other hand he was never as skilled as Drouin and Tampa cut ties with him after he had his run-ins with management as well.

I think Ho-Sang has the talent to be a great NHLer. In the 80s Slats made it a habit of finding those guys on the cheap. But the current Oilers may not yet be a good nurturing environment for a kid like that. Likewise Duclair.

That would be my concern.

92. Scungilli Slushy says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Scungilli Slushy,

That would be my concern.

Kane Duclair Ho Sang

Now that is an Oiler line.

93. Scungilli Slushy says:

Looking at the Bolts projected lineup that doesn’t look better than the Oilers other than Hedman.

Rookies and young guys everywhere and meh defencemen.

Callahan has shat the bed and Palat IR. Kunitz isn’t getting much either top line. What gives?

94. Wilde says:

Scungilli Slushy: He didn’tscore a lot in junior for a smaller skill player. A real role of the dice IMO. He’ll need to be more than.5 PPG in the bigs to stick IMO unless he wants to be a 3rd liner. This has likely been the root issue, not enough production for the histrionics.

If he’s changed his tune it could be a steal.

I just… don’t care for policing emotion. And I think that coaches repeatedly doing this to extreme extents is immature on their part, not the players’.

And if it’s a defense thing, well, the whole Islanders team has a problem with that. He got sent down last year while being a positive rel and goal player all the same.

If you put the cutoff at 250mins for scoring at even strength, he’s 31st in the league amongst forwards. That means more to me than his raw PPG. Adjusting his oiS% from 9.92 to 8.00, he’s still a 2.00/60 player.

In junior, 1.27PPG in the OHL is pretty good. More than enough to provide him with more chances if he was a more palatable personality and playertype for a coach.

Most coaches were journeymen players, and humble academic personalities. Their pets are 4th liners and PKers. They can’t identify with exceptional innate talent paired with boisterous personality, so they discriminate against those with it, citing stuff like ‘defensive issues’ when they have no problem with John Tavares’ lines giving up ridiculous rates of goals against. Because Tavares has a bland, modest decorum. There’s another factor here, but I won’t bring it up.

Some players are allowed to play because they outscore their mistakes, some aren’t. And it comes down to the coach playing favourites, more often than not.

John Tavares has the 30th highest rate of 5v5 GA/60 out of 244 forwards that have played 500 minutes this season, and every single guy with a higher rate has worse goaltending, and 51(!) of the 211 guys better than him, have lower rates despite getting worse goaltending.

For the Athletic: The Oilers Keeper list and just how far there is togo

96. Pescador says:

jtblack:
    Are the Oilers still using “The Flying Grain Elevator” Formation on the PK?

I call it ‘the funnel’

97. Scungilli Slushy says:

Wilde: I just… don’t care for policing emotion.

What is the difference between all of the very talented hockey players in the world and those that succeed in the highest league?

Outside of players like McDavid and the like (who work harder and are more disciplined which is part of their continued success) it is being able to handle it all.

Like any person who works in a high level high paying high pressure job it’s the work ethic and people skills. High level success also involves a lot of good fortune. Not everyone gets a fair shake. Some get in their own way.

It is reasonable and due diligence to try to understand what is motivating people and their attitudes and desires. Some people expect what they haven’t earned. Some people don’t get what they have done the right things for.

It doesn’t have to do with their value as humans, it has to do with their value in what they are choosing to pursue.

It’s modern gladiators in pro sports, it isn’t without pain, but their is no giant reward without the risk of giant failure.

98. OriginalPouzar says:

For the Athletic: The Oilers Keeper list and just how far there is togo

We all (well except for one poster) truly hope that you are right that Nuge is simply in the “keeper” group and we move on.

99. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Anaheim at Toronto.

Hate the Ducks, obviously, and don’t want them in the playoffs. But I could never bring myself to cheer for the Leafs. I guess I am cheering for the meteor in this one.

100. Scungilli Slushy says:

Wilde: In junior, 1.27PPG in the OHL is pretty good.

2nd round DeBrincat was 1.68. Josh wasn’t blowing the doors off in junior, or AHL where a high talent scores at least 1 PPG.

I have compassion for these kids, I am also sick of problems, unusual problems on the Oilers. Let someone else have a turn. The org acting competent and young players that can play and don’t shoot themselves in the foot in not taking things seriously enough, or for granted.

101. Yeti says:

OmJo: But Russell would have gotten more than $4M on the market last summer so clearly other teams agree with TMac and General Disappointment that he is more than just a 3rd pairing defenceman.

Or so I’ve been told.

There once was a veteran called Russell,
    Whose contract caused quite the kerfuffle.
    He blocks shots with his ass,
    Never runs out of gas.
    Yet he found passing to be rather a struggle.

102. Munny says:

JD_Wry: He might want to steer clear of those.

Steer… ha!

103. Munny says:

bendelson: Though I can’t for the life of me understand why someone would cheer for anything Philadelphia

Because of the implication?

104. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

The NHL seems to be moving the goalposts on what is or isn’t goaltender interference mid-season. If that McDavid play happens now I bet they let it go.

What a joke reffing/rules have become in this League.

105. OriginalPouzar says:

Sounds like Kassian is out and Pak will take his spot.

Not sure what the issue is.

106. OriginalPouzar says:

Pak is a PPG player in his career against TBL.

107. CrazyCoach says:

Hey LT,

Congrats on the Eagles. Never saw one minute of the game. Mrs Crazycoach and I were taking the little one to Paddington. Seeing we’ve both been busy lately, it was high time for family. Was glad to see the Eagles win it though. It was ironic to me that Brady had the best game of his playoff career (Statistically anyway) and he lost when I thought the last two the Pats SB wins were more the result of their opponents shooting themselves in the foot than the Brady mystique.

Anyway, and Bruce will back me up on this. I went down to the Quarry (Rolling Mix Concrete Arena) here in PG, to see #17 Skyler Brind’Amour play. Mrs. Crazycoach and I decided to bring our daughter and just get out of the house. 6 inches of snow overnight and -20 will give you cabin fever pretty quick.

Get there, clipboard in hand only to find out #17 is a scratch and was a scratch the night before as well. Seems our #17 only had 3 points in his last none games and ended up not even being taken on the road to PG. Healthy scratch? Possibly. Nothing online indicates he is injured though. Going to poke around here with my BCHL contacts and see what is up. Looks like PG and Chilliwack are going to be 1st round opponents, so I’ll try and get a writeup done then.

Chilliwack was supposed to be on a tear this season as they are hosting the RBC Cup, but as of last weekend, they sit 4th in the 5 team mainland division. I know they had big expectations for Brind’Amour due to his draft position, pedigree, and his commitment to Michigan State.

Maybe I’m reading into this too much, but a healthy scratch for two straight games for a team trying to gain playoffs points is a bit disconcerting to me. 24 points in 44 games for a centre just doesn’t scream “NHL regular” to me. However, he is a rookie, so I’ll leave it at that. The BCHL is the best junior A league in the country, so that could be a factor.

Either way, more to come.

108. Munny says:

LT said…

Well I hope QUALCOMP is a big part of the article, because it appears to be a big part of TMac’s thinking. They’ve been slow playing his development… a la Detroit back in the day, rather than throwing Pujo to the wolves . I thought this was what we’ve always wanted?

109. Mike Wazowski says:

jtblack,

What is the best way to acquire those 3 RHD? By all accounts RHD are among the hardest, and most expensive players, to acquire.

I haven’t looked into it but how many teams truly have 3 d-pairings that are LHD-RHD? I would think it’s a very short list.

As well, I’ve followed this site for 4-5 years. I find it interesting that the focus on RHD has only been discussed in the last couple of seasons. It wasn’t something that appears to have been made a priority by any team previously.

110. Pescador says:

In the Grease,

Awesome post

111. JD_Wry says:

Stamkos intolerant?

112. JD_Wry says:

JD_Wry:
    Stamkos intolerant?

Even Gene is off to a slow start tonight.

113. ArmchairGM says:

For the Athletic: The Oilers Keeper list and just how far there is togo

Great article as usual!

114. OriginalPouzar says:

Nice power play by Strome there and got a solid shot away.

115. Munny says:

The Commander commands!

116. OriginalPouzar says:

Good looking PP – Caggulia actually with a nice play at the blueline.

Nice shot/pass by Strome.

117. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Pegasus sighting! A power play goal for the Oilers? What?!

118. flyfish1168 says:

2 streaks broken. scoring 1st and scoring on the PP

119. LMHF#1 says:

2 men in front?

Shot-pass?

McDavid with the last touch?

Who is this team??

120. JD_Wry says:

The Sedins made $1.27 in royalties on that PP goal.

121. Munny says:

JD_Wry: Even Gene is off to a slow start tonight.

Wasn’t exactly milking it.

122. OriginalPouzar says:

Oilers dominating early.

123. Munny says:

JD_Wry:
    The Sedins made $1.27 in royalties on that PP goal.

Each or together?

124. Munny says:

That was an optimistic pass through the neutral zone considering the Bolts had 5 men back waiting.

125. Sighduck says:

Wow TBL passes that puck around well.

126. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

When we talk about the Oilers being too slow and contrasting that with Tampa, that Stamkos line shift is what we are talking about.

It’s not the speed of the skaters; it’s how quickly they move the puck. The puck is on their sticks for less than a second before it’s on its way to another stick.

Like Spanish style football at its finest.

Passes are going to be faster than any skaters and put pressure on the defending team to keep up and cover it all.

That said, on that shift, the Oilers did a great job of containment, in my opinion, defending against Tampa’s best.

127. JD_Wry says:

Munny,

Combined, but the lawyers took 0.94 of that then they paid taxes on the total.

128. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Oilers dominating early.

??? Are we watching the same game? Neither team is dominating.

129. OriginalPouzar says:

Strome continuing to make play after play – he’s made 4 good plays already.

130. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Tampa feed just now:

“They have fast players, including McDavid, the fastest thing on two feet. But they don’t play fast. They aren’t quick moving the puck out of their own zone.”

That’s it right there.

131. OriginalPouzar says:

TBL ties it up on a bad break – pass got deflected to the guy in front.

132. Sighduck says:

What an exciting game so far!

133. flyfish1168 says:

Kassian healthy scratch? or injured?

134. Sighduck says:

This is the kind of game the NHL should get excited about instead of the endless promotion of teams like the Yotes

135. OriginalPouzar says:

flyfish1168:
    Kassian healthy scratch? or injured?

Flu

136. Zelepukin says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Tampa feed just now:

That’s it right there.

137. OriginalPouzar says:

Zelepukin: Every opposing team feed says the same thing. It’s awesome because they pick apart our entire strategy like everyone knows it but our coaching staff.

That’s more of a personnel thing than a coaching thing.

Russell playing on the right side – that isn’t going to lead to a quick transitioning of the puck.

138. OriginalPouzar says:

Loving Ryan Strome’s game right now – he is carrying the puck with authority and making plays in the offensive zone.

I think he likes center – wonder how he would do centering some true top 6 wingers?

139. Munny says:

I think Connor had a different power-skating coach than I had.

140. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar: That’s more of a personnel thing than a coaching thing.

Interesting that Tampa deploys 7D in this game.

4 lefties, 3 righties.

It’s a bit of both personnel and coaching, though, because right now the system for breakouts has the forwards coming back quite deep, but not having forward momentum when the D passes them the puck, so then the forwards skate with the puck and try to accelerate.

Tampa seems to opt for outlet passes to the side then have the next forward at full flight through the neutral zone before the short pass goes to them, and as soon as the defending team closes on that player there is another outlet pass to another player in full flight.

That’s coaching/systems.

141. Munny says:

Cags! …I think.

142. OriginalPouzar says:

Great PP there – nice pass by Strome!

143. JD_Wry says:

Munny:
    I think Connor had a different power-skating coach than I had.

We’re back to blaming the coach again?

😉

144. Munny says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Pegasus sighting! A power play goal for the Oilers? What?!

Pegasi!!

145. Munny says:

JD_Wry: We’re back to blaming the coach again?

I coulda been a contenda

Now I’m an armchair Remenda

146. LMHF#1 says:

Leon’s goal I’m assuming.

147. Munny says:

Felt like there was about 4 whistles this entire period.

148. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Drai’s gotta be a little more careful with those 100 foot passes, especially late in the period when you just took the lead.

149. OriginalPouzar says:

Hell of a fun period to watch.

McDavid, Drai and Strome the best Oiler forwards to my eye.

150. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Isles continue to struggle, blow a 4-2 lead at home and lose 5-4 in OT.

151. OriginalPouzar says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    Isles continue to struggle, blow a 4-2 lead at home and lose 5-4 in OT.

152. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar: They need to stay “in it” so they can send us the flames 1st round pick for Maroon which will turn in to Zadina (or the Russian) after the flames miss the playoffs and win the second lottery.

I know this was tongue-in-cheek but their biggest problems by far are their weak blue line and in net.

Amazing how Maroon is better than Ladd now and Ladd makes so much more money. But ya know, Cup Rings.

153. Confused says:

Wow Tampa is really fast, good coaching, let’s hire an assistant coach.

Liking Strome again. Please leave him at center.

After One:

2-1 Edmonton
    13-11 Edmonton shots
    22-20 Lightning Corsi for 5×5

155. JD_Wry says:

Surprised at the home teams pace.

156. JD_Wry says:

I thought they fired that guy in the purge?

157. OriginalPouzar says:

Nice kill – no shots for TBL.

Strome with more PK minutes – 3 games in a row now – he’s getting a push in all areas.

158. Munny says:

McDeity goes full deus ex machina!

159. OriginalPouzar says:

What the hell was that? What a goal by 97.

160. Spooky Lynx says:

Hoooooooooo boy! Connor is a savage!

161. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OMG. McDavid.

When you can do THAT it just teases us to the possibilities of what he can really do.

162. striatic says:

It’s difficult to put away chances when you’re in alone that tight at that speed. If it weren’t, Connor would have 50 goals this year.

163. OriginalPouzar says:

Strome causes a turnover and a gimme for Drake but he’s stoned by some unreal tending – raise the puck Drake.

164. OriginalPouzar says:

Oilers just coming in waves right now.

165. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Oilers dominating in the 2nd period

Fixed that for you, Nostradamus Pouzar

166. JD_Wry says:

That Hedman guy is looking pretty ordinary tonight.

167. Zelepukin says:

Kucherov for Art Ross?

McDavid: hold my beer.

168. Sighduck says:

These are the Oilers we should have been watching all year

169. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Sighduck:
    These are the Oilers we should have been watching all year

So frustrating.

McDavid. Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

171. Crazy Pedestrian says:

Sighduck:
    These are the Oilers we should have been watching all year

Sooo… the oilers without Nuge, Larsson or Kassian?? And Khaira as 2nd line Center?

172. Confused says:

Where has this team been all year!

173. OriginalPouzar says:

Strome fluffed that one – had a gimme I think.

174. OriginalPouzar says:

Decent looking PP shift but 97 with a couple puck bobble giveaways.

175. jp says:

Sighduck:
    These are the Oilers we should have been watching all year

Damn shame.

176. Munny says:

Well they had a shot at a hippogriff… or is three PPGs a sphinx?

177. Munny says:

Patented Pak attack pots the fourth.

178. OriginalPouzar says:

Pak continues to be a PPG guy against TBL.

179. JD_Wry says:

Pak Man!

180. flyfish1168 says:

Pak should be on our 4th line

181. BONE207 says:

Confused:
    Where has this team been all year!

Sure is something weird going on.
    Oilers ready from the start
    Refs calling penalties against Connor
    Oilers scoring on PP
    Refs picking up broken sticks to Edmonton’s advantage
    Oilers winning

182. OriginalPouzar says:

Tyler’s Johnson is quite shifty and speedy out there.

183. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Pak– keeps head up on the odd-man rush–sees Vasilevkiy cheating for the pass and rifles it home short side. His teammates could learn from that example next time they try to pass it into the net. I mean, the pass is just fine if that looks like the best option. But you need to also be a threat to just shoot and score.

184. OriginalPouzar says:

Strome sets up Caggulia for a nice break and a good scoring chance – those two seem to have some chemistry – they’ve even looked good on the cycle. The makings of a decent third line perhaps?

This should be 4-on-3, 97 could kill with the open ice.

186. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

This should be 4-on-3, 97 could kill with the open ice.

I think we take that trade. Especially as it’s Hedman with that reach.

187. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Oh weird. It SHOULD be, shouldn’t it. That’s weird.

188. BONE207 says:

I bet the team read LT’s math (32 games in 62 games) & they felt that according to that they also could gain 64 points in 124 points so a first place finish was deal at twice the price. Ask VOR…he’ll back me up.

189. jp says:

Tyler’s Johnson

I assume this was not intentional?

190. OriginalPouzar says:

Nice fourth line shift – each of Slepy, Pak and Letestu making plays.

191. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: I assume this was not intentional?

Incorrect – 100% intentional.

192. striatic says:

Lightning look tired.

193. BONE207 says:

jp: I assume this was not intentional?

Someone is borrowing Woodguy’s phone

194. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Slepy has some skills. Still think there is a player there. Man.

195. JD_Wry says:

jp: I assume this was not intentional?

Ya doesn’t has to call it a Johnson…

196. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Strome sets up Caggulia for a nice break and a good scoring chance – those two seem to have some chemistry – they’ve even looked good on the cycle.The makings of a decent third line perhaps?

Those 2 really have looked good together.

197. Confused says:

Anyone think the effort level went up tonight!

Tampa, Vegas no problem. Buffalo no way.

198. Scungilli Slushy says:

A well played game by the Oilers so far, dominance. Tampa is crapping the bed on a b 2 b, but clearly have trouble with a bigger team skating as well as them and equal goalering.

After Two

4-1 Edmonton (2-1 that second period)
    26-15 Edmonton shots (13-4 Edmonton that period)
    35-33 Edmonton5x5 Corsi for (15-11 Edmonton in the second)

Newer Comments »