Irreversible

If the Edmonton Oilers continue to lose (now five in a row) it’s going to cost a lot of people their NHL jobs. Fans are talking about the coach and the general manager, but the real cost will be to the players. Same as it ever was. In 2009-10, Robert Nilsson played in 60 games for the Oilers, scoring 11 goals and 27 points. He was 24, and would never play in the NHL again. Patrick O’Sullivan was also 24 that year, scoring 34 points in 73 games. He would play for three more teams in two seasons and then find his way to Finland. Drake Caggiula is 23, on pace for 13 goals in his second NHL season, and attached to the Chiarelli regime. Does he have a future in the Gretzky administration? History is most informative in these things. There is an overwhelming sense of finality in watching a hockey team on a death march. The coaches and managers may end up in a new town and in a different role in an NHL city, but the players are the truly vulnerable. I hear Khanty-Mansiysk is nice this time of year.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

VIVA LAS VEGAS, YEAR OVER YEAR

• February 2016: 3-4-0, goal differential -1 (6 points)
  • February 2017: 4-3-0, goal differential +1 (8 points)
  • February 2018: 1-5-1, goal differential -8 (3 points)

Absolutely bleeding now, Edmonton is going to get a great spot for the draft and that could mean one of the fabulous forwards (Svechnikov, Zadina) will still be on the board when the club selects in the first round.

AFTER 56, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 22-29-5, goal differential -36 (49 points)
  • Oilers 16-17: 29-19-8, goal differential +12 (66 points)
  • Oilers 17-18: 23-29-4, goal differential -31 (50 points)

Shameful position for this team now, that 15-16 team had all kinds of issues. In the days after the season, stay close to your preferred media alerts. I think we’ll see some bloodshed and I don’t think that’s breaking news. It would be impossible at this point to frame this season as anything more than an unmitigated disaster. There is still time, but a winning streak, the sudden emergence of Jesse Puljujarvi as a scorer on 97’s line and an improved penalty kill seem out of reach for the Edmonton Oilers. What a mess.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM FEBRUARY, YEAR OVER YEAR

• At home to: Colorado, Tampa Bay (Expected 0-1-1) (Actual 1-0-1)
  • On the road to: Los AngelesAnaheimSan Jose (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 0-3-0)
  • At home to: Florida (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: Vegas, Arizona, Colorado (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • At home to: Boston, Colorado (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose (Expected 0-2-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 5-6-3, 13 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 1-5-1, three points in seven games

The disappointment of letting go the rope is probably part of the current showing, but this Oilers team appears to have poor work habits married to the attention span of a gnat. Very poor performances, I’m talking Pat Quinn Oilers outings, have peppered this season’s schedule. If you’re Daryl Katz, that has to be a major concern. If it isn’t a concern, then it’s going to be. I hear from Oilers fans every day, and have for over a decade. It has never been this raw, this angry. I don’t believe this group, on ice and off, will remain intact.

YOUNGSTERS, LAST NIGHT

I didn’t run the numbers from last night’s game, you’ve seen the movie before. I do have some comments to make about the young people, the ones who should be playing a lot and hopefully showing well.

• Anton Slepyshev impressed me, playing 13:46 and getting three shots on goal, one HD scoring chance. He played just shy of five minutes with 97 and might have been the best forward on the night. No time on either special team.
  • Drake Caggiula played 13:21 and also had a HD scoring chance, didn’t notice him as much but he was working hard and can skate like the wind. Played just under one minute on the penalty kill, 1:37 on the power play. Of the young group, he continues to get the special teams push.
  • Jesse Puljujarvi played 13:28 and I don’t recall any great chances. He did handle the puck a lot in the offensive zone and you can see some creativity in his play. He had 28 seconds on the power play and less than a minute 5×5 with McDavid. I know it may seem like nothing is happening but to my eye he’s getting more comfortable with the puck on his stick. Keep on playing him! And play him with McDavid or Draisaitl. I implore you!
  • Jujhar Khaira played 10:37, had two HD scoring chances and a fight he won. I really like his game and suspect he’s a lock for next year’s team (inexpensive, durable and has utility). He played 1:10 on the 4×5.
  • NaturalStatTrick.

The problem is you develop a past. Peter Chiarelli has a major problem now, because his remaining chips (Klefbom, Nuge) can’t be cashed in for less than 100 cents on the dollar. I think the organization remains onside with him through the deadline, but after that we’ll have to wait until early April. My guess, without any inside knowledge, is that a shadow cabinet has formed and the owner is filtering everything through the Gretzky group, either on the side or openly.

Is that good? No idea. I do think approaching any major trade recommended by the current regime should be met with the hockey equivalent of a SWAT team. I also wonder what possessed Peter Chiarelli to deny his team the cover of a veteran free agent signing in case no one was ready to replace Eberle.

Peter Chiarelli did little to help his team at last year’s deadline because he felt they weren’t ready for a run. He signed Ty Rattie in free agency as his feature man because he thought Ryan Strome, Jesse Puljujarvi and Anton Slepyshev would all cash. The thing Daryl Katz has to ask himself is can he trust Chiarelli to identify the areas of weakness, address it by using duplicate assets, and have the coach agree with the solutions as stated.

Man what a mess.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWEITDE

A busy morning, TSN1260, and a fluid guest list. We’ll have Steve Lansky from BigMouthSports at 10:20 to talk Olympics and Frank Seravalli at 11:05 to discuss trade deadline. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Friday on my mind!

276 Responses to "Irreversible"

« Older Comments
  1. Scungilli Slushy says:

GMB3: didnt the team outscore their mistakes when Hall was on the ice? The team sucked because of them and not the horrible d core, horrible bottom 6, lack of centreman, and terrible goaltending?

You can give leeway to players that drive offense , or you end up with a team of pluggers. There aren’t many Bergerons out there. Most scoring players give up some. Minnesota, Nashville and St Louis tried for years to grind out Cups, usually doesn’t happen without the scoring. Not for a while. Both have added speed and skill.

2. Gayfish says:

GMB3: Reply)

The Eberle argument is lost. The stats supported him in almost every way. I blame guys like Woodguy who stopped to enjoy the playoffs and let the stupid people spin their narrative until it was out of control.

3. Nix says:

jtblack: Oh manWell I love 99, so hopefully it doesnt happen often

4. jtblack says:

JD_Wry: Wasn’t he picked with the 3rd rounder that came back in the Yakupov trade?

Well they traded up a bit to get Skinner. So they prob traded that pick and moved up to 78th I Believe.

Skinner has the size and tools of the modern goalie. I think if he gets with the right goalie coach, he COULD (might) become an NHL Goalie

5. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack: Stuart Skinner is 10-3, 2.39 GAA, .923SV% since being traded to Swift Current.

Good Arrows

Yup, he’s having a very good second half of the year.

We’ve got a goalie glut at the pro level next year, even if we let Brossoit go:

Talbot, Montoya, Ellis, Starett, Wells.

Skinner is eligible to turn pro but I think he’ll spend another year in the WHL as an over-ager – he’s not signed in any even I don’t think but that will happen this spring.

6. jtblack says:

Nix: Me too bro, on both counts and Ill drop it. Hes just on such a high pedestal in my heart & mind that it felt gross. And I’m Irish stock.

and when you have accomplished things on a planet of 7 Billion, that nobody else has accomplished; you get a lot of Leeway. All deserved.
    #LoveGretz

Got to meet him in 1984 in Banff. I was a kid. He was mythical. I couldn’t believe I was standing beside The Great One.

7. thehop says:

Scungilli Slushy: The thing with broke teams is that they need to cycle in high picks to keep the payroll down. Usually, Stepan was a weird get, and they have a fair bit tied up on D, for them.

OEL will be expensive but probably less than Karlsson and Doughty.

They are sour on Domi, so unless he’s a complete ass hat, he has the type of jam the Oilers seem to want and the aggression to get points.

Too many Oiler young guys lack enough lust for goals and to me play a lot of flat games just doing the process. Top point getters are wild to score goals, just look at Connor’s face.

I could see a multi player deal. OEL and Domi for ??

That would be a great start down the path to redemption for this management team.

Sadly I doubt this will happen as much as I would love to see both those players in Oilers silks.

Domi especially, love his game and the chemistry he and MCDavid had at the world juniors.

I wasn’t kidding about a less talented Hall.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Kind of.

The 3rd round pick we got in the Yak trade was traded to ARI along with our 5th round pick to move up and pick Skinner.

9. jtblack says:

OriginalPouzar: Yup, he’s having a very good second half of the year.

We’ve got a goalie glut at the pro level next year, even if we let Brossoit go:

Talbot, Montoya, Ellis, Starett, Wells.

I think the Oilers are betting (hoping) 1 of Ellis, Skinner or Wells becomes NHL material. All similiar pedigree, would you agree?

10. jtblack says:

I am going to watch 16 yr old (just turned 17) Kirby Dach. He has 18 pts in his last 15.

Projected to be a high NHL pick nxt year.

jtblack:
    I am going to watch 16 yr old (just turned 17) Kirby Dach.He has 18 pts in his last 15.

Projected to be a high NHLpick nxt year.

12. Wilde says:

russ99: These are all “For” metrics.

Where’s the HDCA%, the save percentage against when on ice?

Klefbom’s decline this year on the defensive side of the ice is much more drastic than on the offensive side of the ice.

There’s two issues at play with Klefbom, both weigh heavily in trade discussions:

1. He’s frequently and/or chronically hurt, and has recurring injury issues
    2. He’s a liablity on the defensive side of the ice without the puck and has been other than a small stretch of games late last season.

If only one of these is true, value contract or no value contract, I’d have no issue with my GM making a deal to maximize his value, given a much better right side defenseman coming back in.

There’s a pretty good chance both are true. Would be worse to trade too late than to trade too early.

No, you don’t understand. Those metrics are the percentage of the shots, unblocked shots, and scoring chances that occurred for the Oilers on the ice while Klefbom was playing.

The second part of the equation that spits out the percentage is the events against the Oilers.

I would not argue in favour of Klefbom’s defensive prowess by submitting evidence of his offense, and I would hope that no one would assume that’s what I just did.

The HDCA% would simply be the opposite of the HDCF%, and a lower number would be better than a higher one.

There is zero evidence of a significant correlation between a defenseman’s ability to defend and his on ice save percentage.

1) His injury’s impact this year is a result of an unwillingness by management to shut him down for surgery and recover in the wake of Sekera also being out and should not be an indictment on the player or his durability.

His other major injury was a freak staph infection.

2) This is just patently false, and it’s actually the reverse: Klefbom has only shown that he’s ‘poor defensively’ for an early stretch this season, while showing that he creates more than he gives up in every other stretch of his career. This is why it was such a big deal to have him out for most of 2015-16.

13. Confused says:

So if Backlund is good value at 5.35M.

Is Nuge a steal at 6?

14. OriginalPouzar says:

jtblack: I think the Oilers are betting (hoping) 1 of Ellis, Skinner or Wells becomes NHL material.All similiar pedigree, would you agree?

I’m sure they are hoping one of them becomes an NHL goalie – I know I am – you just never know with goalies at this stage of development though.

15. OriginalPouzar says:

Tyler Vessel with a second period goal.

16. ArmchairGM says:

It seems like OEL is one of the most overrated players in this league. People talk about him in the same breath as Doughty and Karlsson, but nothing he’s done in his career bears that up, from what I can see. Am I completely wrong? What do the Woodmoney’s say?

17. frjohnk says:

Interesting article at the Athletic that talks about the Phaneuf/Gaborik trade that also has a bit about Lucic and Eriksson from Duhatschek

“One could conceivably argue the two worst contracts in the NHL right now belong to the Oilers’ Milan Lucic and the Canucks’ Loui Eriksson. What if Oilers’ GM Peter Chiarelli and Canucks’ GM Jim Benning swapped them for each other?”

Regardless if one believes these two contracts are the worst in the league or not, that kind of transaction is something that each team could ponder moving forward.

18. jtblack says:

Lowetide: Very impressive young player. If he can stay healthy in his draft year, he’ll go way high.

LT, you know I love this draft class.

This year the WHL will prob have only 2 – 1st round picks (Smith & Woo). next years class will possibly have 7 ish …. Exciting class none the less

19. JD_Wry says:

frjohnk: What if Oilers’ GM Peter Chiarelli and Canucks’ GM Jim Benning swapped them for each other?”

I could trade you a ’91 Lada for an ’87 Skoda, but what have we accomplished exactly?

Yes, two tow-truck drivers are walking away with our cash.

20. jtblack says:

frjohnk:

Ryan Callahan at $5.8 mil per is sort of bad.

Every GM has one of those

21. JD_Wry says:

ArmchairGM: Am I completely wrong?

Young Willis is pointing out on twitter that OEL’s PP scoring rate is well below that of a guy who goes by the name Petry.

Interesting – never heard of him.

22. frjohnk says:

jtblack: Ryan Callahan at $5.8 mil per is sort of bad.

Every GM has one of those

Callahan fell off a cliff right at age 30 right after 14-15. Guys that can not skate well do not age well. That contract will run out when he turns 35. TB will have 5 years of a terrible contract. Though they can trade him this summer, or buyout.

Yzermans woof contract might actually be worse than Chias woof contract.

23. OriginalPouzar says:

Maksimov with an assist – Niagra down by 2 with 7 to go.

24. OriginalPouzar says:

Hebig with a second period assist on the tieing PP goal.

25. Pescador says:

frjohnk

Yzermans woof contract might actually be worse than Chias woof contracts ses

Adjusted that for truth

26. OriginalPouzar says:

Dylan Wells stops 32 of 34 but the Petes lose 2-1.

27. Pescador says:

ArmchairGM:

They say he is good & the Coyotes are terrible

28. rope-a-dope says:

OriginalPouzar:
    From various accounts (Lebrun, Matheson, etc.), management has been talking contract with the Maroon camp still and they exchanged numbers last night.

I think I’ve been very clear on my opinion that our long term cap structure requires extreme value contracts in the top 6 (ELC value contracts) and management should not commit term to any UFA level winger at this point but only sign one-year stop gaps to bridge the gap until prospect graduation.

I will not be happy if this contract gets signed, not only would, in my opinion, it be the wrong path forward but its essential that we get some futures back in a Maroon trade. I am still hopeful a trade in consummated and an NHL-ready prospect is acquired who can earn a job in the fall (on merit).

frjohnk: Callahan fell off a cliff right at age 30 right after 14-15.Guys that can not skate well do not age well.That contract will run out when he turns 35.TB will have 5 years of a terrible contract. Though they can trade him this summer, or buyout.

Yzermans woof contract might actually be worse than Chias woof contract.

The Oilers don’t have the prospects or the draft picks to do that.

Pescador: They say he is good & the Coyotes are terrible

They say McDavid is good, and the Oilers are terrible.

31. deardylan says:

“Marching a slow death, painful death of a franchise”

Lately when I read Lowetide, watch the energy of the team and many of the comments I feel that all involved with team aren’t having FUN anymore. I see McDavid on the bench and not out there playing with JOY.

Read these comments by a coach and let them sink in…

“I think, in large part, we want to address the culture of the team and the building. And I would imagine a lot people on the conference call that have been around our team saw the lack of energy and enthusiasm, and that was really disappointing to me.

We have people on team that are not the right fit to a winning mindset.

“We want fountains, not drains.”

“You have to figure out fit,” “My former boss was huge about fit. Is it the right fit? We had a chance to really look at that over the past month or so and address that fit.”

“I think we’re going to get a rejuvenated captain, and that’s the key,” “This guy is so good, he dictates outcomes. That was the hardest part for me was seeing him … and I don’t want to say he didn’t believe in this group and want to be careful in saying that because he’s going to compete every night and try to get whatever teams he’s on to the Finals. But I wanted to see a renewed sense of joy in him.

THIS IS NOT THE OILERS COACH…
    This isn’t the Oilers coach…this is the coach of the Cavaliers saying why he created a franchise altering trade recently.

Altman completed three trades involving four teams, sending six players and two draft picks out the door for four players and one draft pick in return.

I’m really excited about the new guys we have, and I’m really excited about what they are going to bring to the table,” Altman said on a conference call with reporters Thursday evening. “I think we’re going to be energetic, and we’re just going to be fun again, and fun to watch, and fun to be around.”

“I think we’re going to get a rejuvenated LeBron James, and that’s the key,” Altman said. “This guy is so good, he dictates outcomes. That was the hardest part for me was seeing him. But I wanted to see a renewed sense of joy in him, and being around him the last 24 hours has been great.”

But the excitement in his voice made it sound as if he would gladly do the whole thing over again if given the opportunity.

“Did we ever think we would get this much done? No, and you don’t know what it’s going to mean to the team, but I do know we are going to be a lot more athletic, more youthful, and we’re just excited about the guys we added,” he said. “With the window we have with LeBron and with this team, we figured it was time to do something to reenergize the group, but also to have sustainability going into the future.”

Time to BLOW up this team and build it with WINNING culture, Castaway fits like Vegas did and build JOY around McDavid. Lets have fun and re-energize for 2018-2019 season BABY!

32. deardylan says:

An equivalent change to Cavs would be 40-50% of our players would change in one massive trade with multiple teams. If Oilers traded 50% of team for upcoming young talent, draft picks (we are starting to get better at selecting in draft), other fringe players like Vegas did which 50% players would go out the door?

Who is our equivalents of Isaiah Thomas, Crowders, Rose, Wade to trade off…etc.

#IwannaseeMcDavidHappy

33. OriginalPouzar says:

Tyler Vessel finishes with a goal and an assist.

34. Professor Q says:

godot10: Yzerman has the prospects and draft picks to get a cap floor team to take Callaghan, as long as Callaghan isn’t too restrictive when his contract goes to NTC from NMC next summer.

The Oilers don’t have the prospects or the draft picks to do that.

I’m fairly certain one doesn’t go into a contract signing with the hopes of dumping valuable prospects and draft picks in order to get rid of it.

And I’m fairly certain Edmonton has better picks and prospects than TB, anyway. Although not according to the majority here nor in the MSM (just today there was an Oilers Nation post on how Oilers have no or crappy prospects, and it hasn’t been the only one), I hold that belief and hope.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

Safin score 2 goals a minute apart in the last few minutes of the game to tie the game at 2 and get it to OT. Wow!

36. OriginalPouzar says:

rope-a-dope: If they are talking extension for Maroon, makes sense if you can trade Lucic this year. Sounds crazy at first but playoff hockey is going to be more physical and someone may be interested. There’s also the fresh start, new environment angle, other teams may feel they can utilize him more effectively, Lucic may agree to it to go on a playoff run.

I see about a 0.00000001% chance Lucic gets trades this year:

1) Management has to want to move him – they may

2) He has to agree to go a destination

3) A team must be willing to take him and his contract on without requiring us to retain $3M (which would lead to it being more expensive when taking in to account replacing the production in the middle 6).

To find a team willing to make a deal that Milan is willing to waive to go to – I don’t see it.

37. OriginalPouzar says:

Skinner stops 21 of 23 in a 6-2 win.

38. VOR says:

I’ve designed a little self test for aspiring GMs.

Here is your hypothetical – imagine I have taken over Pete’s body. We are now PC V 2.0.

You will realize I have succeeded in upgrading the software because I am going to fire everybody else in management and coaching but Keith Gretzky..

A few hours later I will announce the hiring of William Kawam and Trevor Georgie as new Assistant General Managers.

My new head coach is Sheldon Keefe.

I am also hiring the coach of the Moose Jaw warriors to be GM and Head Coach in Bakersfield. He will also be an Assistant General Manager of the parent Oilers.

The last member of my management team will be an AGM without portfolio and a coach without portfolio. He is of course the greatest NHL player who was never drafted.

So here is the test:

1. How many of William, Trevor and Sheldon had you ever heard of before today? 1 point for each. (3 total points)
    2. Did you recognize the name of the Warriors coach after you looked it up online? 1 point. (1 Total Point and a free one at that.)
    3. Who is the final member of my imaginary management team? 1 point. (1 total point and it should be another free point).
    4. Why do I want each of the 5? 1 point for each correct answer. These are all obvious answers. I want Keith Gretzky because we worked together in Boston and his scouting impressed me enough I promoted him would be an example. (5 total points, none difficult)
    5. What is each man’s greatest strength and biggest weakness. 1 point for each correct answer. (10 total points, 2 you should all get, the rest are varying degrees of difficult.)

Score out of 20.

20 points. You are already a working GM with lots of experience (Lou is that you?)
    16-19. You are too good to work for the Oilers.
    15. The Oilers have a job for you. Anybody who knows hockey this well should be working n the business.
    12-14. You can have Craig’s job.
    9-11. You can hang out with Wayne but you have to BYOB.
    6-8. Kevin stop reading Lowetide you know it upsets you. Stick to kissing first tier fan asses.
    3-5. Typical fan.
    0-2. MSM hack!

39. OriginalPouzar says:

Benson scores 14 seconds in and adds a primary assist just a few minutes later.

40. rope-a-dope says:

OriginalPouzar: I see about a 0.00000001% chance Lucic gets trades this year:

1) Management has to want to move him – they may

2) He has to agree to go a destination

Chances are limited to be sure. But there’d be better chance of it this year than next if it’s more of the same to come. You’re still able to use the (slim) potential of a bounce back.

41. JD_Wry says:

… the right to bare arms…

Thanks for that one Ron, but sitting through 5 minutes of hot air for it was very arduous.

42. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m calling Maroon for Jack Roslovic!

43. LMHF#1 says:

Sure hope Desjardins figures out that Poulin is better than Scrivens quickly.

44. JD_Wry says:

LMHF#1:
    Sure hope Desjardins figures out that Poulin is better than Scrivens quickly.

But Willie?

45. VOR says:

So let me introduce you to the Oilers new management team:

46. JD_Wry says:

VOR,

The Whippany Whipper-Snapper.

47. JD_Wry says:

VOR: And your new Head Coach,

If Canada wins a medal, it’ll be Willie.

48. VOR says:

And my point is anybody can suggest trades and identify the top prospects in hockey. However, that is not the job of a GM. The job of a GM is to build a team and that starts with his management team. You are all busy fixing the on ice team. But first you have to fix the off ice team.

You want the Oilers to win you need a GM with the ability to build a great management team. And who having done so will treat all of the BOTB with respect, affection and awe while totally ignoring everything they say. We fans need them to be well polished decorative door knobs.

49. VOR says:

JD_Wry: If Canada wins a medal, it’ll be Willie.

Willie has made it very clear that literally you couldn’t pay him enough.

50. JD_Wry says:

Too many Czechs!

51. Scungilli Slushy says:

VOR:

I thought that was Burger’s mission, no?

I’m all for Oates as a key component in identifying needs. The
    Oilers have a tradition of innovation and with another world beater player it’s time again.

I would get a horse trader to do deals. I would use the BOTB to shmooze players when needed and provide the tradition.

I’m all for a coach who motivates and plays to his team’s strengths and adapts on the leading edge. I don’t know if those guys are that.

While the young guys resumes are impressive what makes them unique. What do they know that more experienced guys don’t? I’ve had enough learning on the job st Oiler’s fans expenses.

52. JD_Wry says:

I haven’t watched an Olympic game until tonight, but I’m not missing the NHLers at all.

53. SK Oiler Fan says:

JD_Wry,

I do. They already have a Spengler cup every year. Not enough skill for 5 v 5 play for anything interesting to happen. They should have just went 4 on 4 all game

54. VOR says:

Scungilli Slushy: I thought that was Burger’s mission, no?

I’m all for Oates as a key component in identifying needs. The

I am glad you asked –

Georgie and Kawam are considered two of the three brightest young people in hockey. Kyle Dubas, who most fans will recognize, is the third. Dubas, if we were hiring a new GM would be on the short list, the short, short list and might well get the job. He has said repeatedly the day he becomes Leafs GM Georgie and Kawam are his first hires. He already hired Keefe to coach the Leafs farm team and before that in junior.

What they share in common, Georgie, Kawam, Dubas, and Keefe is a whole new way of thinking about hockey. It blends stats, human performance, and coaching theory to create better team performance. Hearing Kawam talk about using analytics to manage indidual talent and help players improve their performance will forever change how you think about hockey. Kawam is to analytics what Oates is to skill development. Georgie creates innovative new analytical tools and algorithms that help him win trades and find the right fit players. Aren’t we tired of losing value in trades – Georgie is the solution. Keefe has a truly rare mind he can coach, be in the game, be making bench decisions, and be running metrics in his head. Alone among coaching prospects for NHL head coach jobs he can use analytics in real time.

In any field youth must be served. You want to get, develop, and keep the best young talent. If you can find better young talent please post their resumes here.

Interestingly, if you listen to Keith, Tim, and Adam talk about hockey you will realize what I have done is surround PC V 2.0 with 6 great innovators (3 mature professionals and 3 young guns) all of who are thinking out on the edge of the envelope. My plan for PC V 2.0 is to oust Burger in a palace coup, take that job and hire Kyle as his replacement when Lou refuses to go quietly into the good, good night.

I figure the best player in hockey should be supported by the best management team. The time for tired old ideas is over. Now is the time to build the soul of a new machine. We are going to innovate the shit out of hockey.

That is my message of hope for Oiler fans.

55. VOR says:

By the way I get that Keefe screams Dallas Eakins and there are parallels. Imagine Eakins with all the bright and none of the ego. Keefe was an egotistical arrogant young prick who grew up and became a fine man.

He is humble, thankful for a second chance, hard working and smart as a whip. He is also always massively prepared. But best of all, more than any coach I’ve ever seen he adjusts to the play on the ice in front of him. It is like watching MacT coach against Detroit in the playoffs in 2006.

McDavid needs a coach who thinks the game as fast as he plays it.

56. Scungilli Slushy says:

VOR: I am glad you asked –

That is my message of hope for Oiler fans.

I found Oates’ Tribune piece great. Your message of hope would be a dream come true.

57. JimmyV1965 says:

Thanks for trying to deliver a message of hope VOR. But the odds of the Oilers making any kind of innovative hire are slim to none. So sad.

58. HT Joe says:

JimmyV1965:

What about an innovatively bad hire?

59. OriginalPouzar says:

Back to back afternoon games – just what the Oilers needed.

Time to see if they will provide the fans with a full 60 minutes of work after a piss poor effort in Vegas.

Some players are starting to cost themselves a job and/or money next season.

Montoya was hurt at practice and is questionable for the weekend (as of reports yesterday). I”m guessing we see Talbot today and Montoya tomorrow.

Maybe Drake and Domi can switch dressing rooms?

60. GMB3 says:

VOR:

McDavid needs a coach who thinks the game as fast as he plays it.

When he was hired he wanted to make his mark on the organization. He developed a draft value chart analyzing the likelihood of success at every spot in the draft. He goes on to talk about how Jarmo has used it at times to trade down in the draft and it’s paid off with some useful players.

I immediately thought about your “thinking about the draft” posts, and some of what he says aligns with your thoughts. I think you may find it interesting although I assume it would mostly be confirmation of what you already think (maybe know?). Anyways to me it added some credibility to your posts, and I don’t mean that in a negative way, I just had my doubts.

I actually think a lot of posters would really enjoy the podcast, Friedman and Marek bring up a lot of the things talked about on this site with a bit more detail and care than most of the traditional MSM.

61. GMB3 says:

Nice to see Ostap Safin go on a bit of a heater. Seems like Maksimov has cooled a bit since his suspension although I haven’t been following the prospects as closely in the past few weeks

62. GMB3 says:

Nice to see Maksimov isn’t so far off Owen Tippett who was a first rounder in regards to Points per game

63. OriginalPouzar says:

GMB3:

Maksimov is still producing but, yes, cooled off a tiny bit since his big heater.

Safin seemed to struggle for a few games, at least production wise, when they put him at center. He switched back to RW last weekend and had 7 points in 2 games. They then put him back at center for the last few games and he’s had 3 points including the 2 goals in a minute last night to send to the game to OT.

Clearly more productive at wing that at center but his production is fantastic given he’s on an Island on the SeaDogs with very little offensive help.

64. OriginalPouzar says:

GMB3:

Krill is a steal of a pick so far – miles to go to the NHL but great arrows at this point.

65. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar:
    I’m calling Maroon for Jack Roslovic!

Why wouldn’t Jack just call Maroon himself?

66. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:
    I’m calling Maroon for Jack Roslovic!

Not happening but I think you know that. Think B. Lemieux instead.

67. VOR says:

GMB3: VOR, you seem like a busy guy, but I’d suggest listening to Elliott’s Friedman’s 31 thoughts the podcast from Wednesday. They had on the director of hockey administration from CBJ (I think that was his title, I forget his name, something Flynn).

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out.

68. Pouzar says:

I wonder if we sign Tyler Vessel. Seems to be the lost prospect. Probably because it’s a foregone conclusion he will be a free agent.

69. Professor Q says:

Pouzar:

What about Tyler Vesel instead? :p

70. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar:
    I wonder if we sign Tyler Vesel. Seems to be the lost prospect. Probably because it’s a foregone conclusion he will be a free agent.

I’ve been talking about Vessel for a bit lately and am going on the assumption that he gets signed this spring and joins Benson, Hebig, Lagesson and, potentially, Yamamoto in Bakersfield next year.

I will be disappointed if he is not signed.

71. Pouzar says:

Professor Q: What about Tyler Vesel instead? :p

I pulled a Woodguy…. Not a word JDi.

« Older Comments