Running wild

Oilers fans were treated to a throwback game that looked like last year all over again at Rogers on Thursday night. Connor McDavid could have pocketed a dozen, Leon Draisaitl put the steam in steamroller and the defense punished and passed well enough to keep the Avalanche at bay. Cam Talbot was beaten on a long ranger that was screened and a gigantic fluke, but kept Colorado from finding the dagger. Now it’s on to California and the trade deadline.

THE ATHLETIC!

FOUR STRONG WINDS, YEAR OVER YEAR

• February 2016: 3-8-0, goal differential -10 (6 points)
  • February 2017: 5-6-0, goal differential -3 (10 points)
  • February 2018: 3-7-1, goal differential -7 (7 points)

Crazy months all three, the Oilers of 15-16 were deploying 97, 29, 4 and 14 regularly. Justin Schultz and Teddy Purcell were still on the team and we were still discussing Nail Yakypov’s future. The 16-17 team was about to go on a terrific run through the end of the season and you already know about this year’s model.

AFTER 60, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 22-32-6, goal differential -42 (50 points)
  • Oilers 16-17: 32-20-8, goal differential +17 (72 points)
  • Oilers 17-18: 25-31-4, goal differential -30 (54 points)

In a season where it’s been necessary to revise expectations on a daily basis, perhaps there is some traction now for the good ship Oiler this year. It would be nice for the team to leave the 15-16 in the dust (that club would gather 20 points in the last 22 games) and push toward 82 points. Small victories are big steps.

WHAT TO EXPECT IN FEBRUARY

• At home to: Colorado, Tampa Bay (Expected 0-1-1) (Actual 1-0-1)
  • On the road to: Los AngelesAnaheimSan Jose (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 0-3-0)
  • At home to: Florida (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: Vegas, Arizona, Colorado (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 1-2-0)
  • At home to: Boston, Colorado (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose (Expected 0-2-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 5-6-3, 13 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 3-7-1, seven points in 11 games

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• Nurse-Larsson went 28-17 in 18:04, the two men spending 11 glorious minutes with McDavid rolling down the highway. Went 15-10 against Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen, pairing had three giveaways. Nurse looks good to me, I wonder if the coach would consider putting him with Russell and then playing the Swedes together. I think that’s the right setup.
  • Klefbom-Russell were 18-17 in 13:52, 0-1 GF and just six fabulous minutes with 97 (everybody was enjoying themselves with the top line). Pairing went 13-10 against the MacKinnon trio.
  • Davidson-Benning went 8-10 in 11:48, 1-0 GF together. Played just 91 seconds with McDavid, that was all it took for the goal to be scored. Went 4-2 in 2:22 against the Landeskog line.
  • Cam Talbot stopped 28 of 30, .933. He’s posting some nice save percentages in recent games (.969, .923, .933 and now .933).
  • Among these men, if I’m trying to figure out if anyone was being showcased, I think the answer is Matt Benning. Come summer, my guess is Klefbom might be in some danger.
  • NaturalStatTrick and NHL.com.

FORWARDS, LAST NIGHT

• Puljujarvi-Letestu-Kassian were 21-6 in 13:12, of course the goal by Kassian being the highlight. The Oilers got what they wanted, a showcase for the center on this line. He had his family in the stands, there was an article (Matty?) about he and his wife turning the entire trade deadline into an adventure. Good parents, those. Puljujarvi looked really good all over the ice, had one brilliant chance and a few other in the area moments. Line went 11-3 against Compher-Kerfoot-Wilson.
  • Lucic-McDavid-Draisaitl were fire, 25-19 and 1-1 GF while going 10-0 in HDSC’s. Colorado’s goalie was incredible on the night. McDavid had 7 HDSC’s, Leon 2 and Lucic 1. Went 20-16, 1-0 GF against the MacKinnon line.
  • Slepyshev-Strome-Cammalleri went 18-17, 0-1 GF and Slepyshev had two brilliant chances. I’m really impressed with his late season showing, wonder if the Oilers are thinking about bringing him back next season. Went 9-5 against the MacKinnon line.
  • Auvitu-Khaira-Pakarinen went 2-8 in 5:55, very little going on from any of them.
  • If I’m looking for showcase evidence, Mark Letetu got the big time on ice push. He played 14:05 at 5×5, the pivot is averaging 8:45 in the discipline this season. Zack Kassian also played four more minutes than he is averaging but that’s probably part of the Letestu bounce.
  • Anton Slepyshev also played four more minutes than average but in all honesty he was the best option. It may be a case of renewed faith in a pretty talented hockey player.  Talk about your last minute recoveries.

WHAT’S THE PLAN, MAN?

Terry Jones is reporting Peter Chiarelli will have a media avail at 10 this morning. This could be a quick track suit update or sometimes they morph into a full fledged media conference. If it was more formal, I’d suggest signing Patrick Maroon would have been on the agenda. As it is, I don’t think that will happen.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. We’ll talk about Germany’s massive win at the Olympics and lots of hockey. Scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, BigMouthSports. What the hell happened at the Olympics?
  • Chris Ryan, NJ.com. Big trade for Grabner, Hall setting the woods on fire.
  • Matt Iwanyk, TSN1260. Point Counterpoint on NHLers not being at the Olympics. How do you like it now?
  • Paul Almeida, SSE. Deadline chat.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.

459 Responses to "Running wild"

Newer Comments »
  1. Woogie63 says:

JP is figuring out his game.

He is very good skating the puck through the neutral zone!

He is strong strong down low.

He has built a better shot.

He need a skilled centre to be paired with for the balance of the season.

2. OriginalPouzar says:

4 solid games in a row for Talbot and 2 of them were VERY good games.

To me it will be huge if he can play this way through the end of the year. No, it won’t ensure that he will be great again next year but it would be a very good indicator and make it likely that the first 2/3 of this season was indeed the outlier. His career indicates as much.

It would give him great confidence going in to next year and, more importantly, give his remotes confidence in him going on to next year.

Go Talbot.

3. frjohnk says:

“This could be a quick track suit update ”

Ha ha.

Always nuggets in LT’s posts.

4. Clay says:

So the Michael Grabner deal – does that set the price range for Maroon? I would expect a 2nd round pick would be reasonable, and because Chia, we’ll likely get a 4th?

5. OilSafety says:

What? A press conference at the start of the Lowedown? Breaking news for Lowetides show…. nah, probably just a ‘were keeping our options open’ statement.

Alan couldnt get that lucky, or could he?

6. slopitch says:

Ohhhh SA = shot attempts (I thought it was shots against the first time reading it).

Didn’t watch the game last night. Im on an olympic boycott. Sounds like Leon has returned to last years form. Very promising.

Common LT, its the Erik Karlsson presser 😀

7. Chelios is a Dinosaur says:

Nights like last are why winning out the stretch matters. Defining trait of later era DoD was a lack of pride, frighteningly evident on too many nights this year. The oilers still have the opportunity to show us this team has more than it’s delivered. I prefer this outcome for the sake of McDavid and Draisaitl as opposed to 6 months of abject and total doom.

I’m sure there are arguments for flushing the season and pushing out Chia and Todd. But Conor wants to win every night and I would go about flushing his intentions with a great degree of caution.

8. frjohnk says:

Clay:
    So the Michael Grabner deal – does that set the price range for Maroon?I would expect a 2nd round pick would be reasonable, and because Chia, we’ll likely get a 4th?

I think the injury to Maroon may cloud the issue.

As it stands there are more sellers than buyers. If I was a prospective buyer I would not want to be spending good money on something that might not be close to 100%.

I wouldnt fault Chia if he only got a 3rd rounder for Maroon right now.

EDIT: should have said 3rd rounder and a prospect.

I think he has less value than Grabner because of the injury

9. texmex says:

Maroon to the Bruins for Bjork is all but guaranteed now :p

Boston Bruins on CLNS

@BruinsCLNS
    19h19 hours ago
    Per @HackswithHaggs: Anders Bjork is done for the season after undergoing shoulder surgery.

10. Nailer Yakumoto says:

Who would have ever thought the gold medal game would be The Eastern Front 2 : Electric Boogaloo ?

11. dustrock says:

Drai said something after the game like “you can’t always beat them with speed”.

If a lightbulb went off last night and he is going to mini-Lindros the opposition, then watch out.

Both the goal and the assist were ridiculous.

He and McDavid are so far ahead of the rest of the team it basically underscores how disappointing the overall team composition is.

I kept thinking of Fat Albert playing “Buck Buck”: “What was that? A mosquito? A piece of paper? Someone threw a piece of paper on me!” watching Drai play.

12. OriginalPouzar says:

The Larsson we saw last night was the Larsson we saw most nights last year and in the playoffs – he was a beat – nasty to play against, effective moving the puck and making smart plays in the offensive zone. I LOVE that players.

Russell had a very nice game last night by my eye.

13. OriginalPouzar says:

Slepy is really starting to string some games together now. When he has his legs going he is a plus skater and great on the forecheck.

He seems to be finding some chemistry with Strome and I look for that to be a strong 3rd line duo next year.

14. OriginalPouzar says:

On that note, there is zero reason to not have Slepy back next year. The return in a trade would be much lower than his potential value in our lineup next year. On a team devoid of winger depth with offensive accumen and in a cap crunch, this cheap developing player should have a role.

15. OriginalPouzar says:

Very encouraging to see Jesse have a plus game away from McDavid.

We know he can play with Connor (and that is an option next year), however, it is important that he isn’t reliant on Connor.

Damn I wish he would have cashed on that one glorious opportunity.

16. J-Bo says:

Late in response to your Klefbom article on the Athletic, I’m becoming more and more convinced that Nuge is the play and not Klefbom. Nuge plus Benning or Davidson for Faulk and Ryan (balance with picks if necessary) would be ideal to me at the deadline. We would balance our D out for the foreseeable and still have strong centre depth and options on who to sign for 3C. Then we could focus on the wings over the next couple of years. I love Nuge, but trading Klefbom unbalances the defense long term to me while trading Nuge doesnt unbalance the centre depth.

17. OriginalPouzar says:

I think Chia will essentially state that they aren’t looking to make any huge moves such as trading Nuge or Klef but will be looking to make smaller moves that will improve the team next year and in the future.

18. OriginalPouzar says:

Clay:

Its a bit disapointing as the level of prospect was lower than I was hoping for.

I’m thinking we are looking at a 2nd round pick and Austin Czarnik from Boston.

I would personally like to forego the pick or add to get a better NHL ready prospect.

If we could grab a higher tier NHL ready prospect that is probably to play in our middle 6 on his ELC, that would really help.

19. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar,

Slepy is gone bro. Book it.

20. octobergirl1 says:

Hunter1909’s Emergency!™ Death March™ MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT:

As a result of Death March™ technical issues between February 1 – 16 ALL subscribers registered between February 1-16 must RE-REGISTER!! No exceptions!! In order to assist these wretches, Death March™ will extend it’s deadline until one of the following dates:

March 7
    March 10
    March 17

Giving time to these lost subscribers who now have time to register(again) at: http://www.oilersdeathmarch.com

Meanwhile, ALL registered players are eligible to vote until March 1, 2018.

Thank you for your cooperation. Looks like Oilers are going to be on a Death March™ for a very long time.

21. octobergirl1 says:

Hunter1909 Emergency Death March Update for new/returning players:

Here’s how you play: Go to http://www.oilersdeathmarch.com and click “Enter Emergency D.M.”

It’s easy!

With the team’s improbable suckage, it’s time to get predictions in. Prizes to be won!

Contest book to remain open until further notice.

22. Woodguy v2.0 says:

I love you.

23. hags9k says:

Larsson did look great last night. Doing his Gator impression again. When his confidence is up, he starts to sniff out the offense too a little bit. This is a wonderful player. We have missed him.

24. Brantford Boy says:

Clay:

Although Grabner has put up more goals, I think Maroon is still worth a 1st and/or significant prospect, Devils just doing a smart play by getting in on the action before the prices drive up on Monday… now they got a player and don’t need to outbid other teams… probably knew the cost of the other names out there and said ‘F that noise, lets take Grabner, they only want a 2nd’

Guessing, Maroon to Jets, Letestu to Pens, Cammalleri to Jackets…

25. Pouzar says:

Sounds like he wants to upgrade speed via prospects preferably.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

Chiarelli said he’s interested in hockey trades – there are some big things going on out there but the Oilers are not involved.

Looking for prospects that are close to ready to play.

Looking at speed.

27. OriginalPouzar says:

Need to make some “Hard Changes” but not blowing it up.

28. Rondo says:

Sounds like Chiarelli is going after Griffin Reinhart.

29. russ99 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    On that note, there is zero reason to not have Slepy back next year.The return in a trade would be much lower than his potential value in our lineup next year.On a team devoid of winger depth with offensive accumen and in a cap crunch, this cheap developing player should have a role.

Zero reason?

RFA status, points per game 5×5? One or two games doesn’t change a season of subpar NHL results.

Would you pay Slepyshev $2.5M next year just for skating?

30. OriginalPouzar says:

Approach for the rest of the year includes improving special teams and giving opportunities to younger players.

31. Pouzar says:

Bye Nuge.

32. OriginalPouzar says:

Todd has free-range to to deploy the lineup (regarding the “3 centers”) but that is alot of money to tie up at center – Chia implying that, yes, Nuge and Drai on the wing at times is just fine.

33. 99thoilerfan says:

…… and his track suit ?

34. Brantford Boy says:

Rondo,

LOL, Beat me to it… +1…

35. Wilde says:

Connecting the two points about ‘looking for improvement in special teams to close out the year’ and ‘preference for players who could step in now or soon, I think we might see a PKer brought in over a PP guy

36. frjohnk says:

Pouzar:
    Bye Nuge.

Yup. Im paraphrasing but
    “Cant have that amount of money tied up with the centers”

He is looking at trading Nuge, maybe not at the deadline, but definitely this summer.

And as I said before, he has to trade Nuge for a cheaper, lesser player if they want to upgrade the top 6 wingers.

37. StixMalone says:

So what was the need for this media avail? Tell us something we want to hear Chia. Sounded like a plea for the other GM’s to hear…..

38. Rondo says:

After looking at Chiarelli ‘s record, why would anyone think he might do something good?

39. Pouzar says:

frjohnk: Yup. Im paraphrasing but
    “Cant have that amount of money tied up with the centers”

Summer for sure.

40. Wilde says:

frjohnk: Yup. Im paraphrasing but
    “Cant have that amount of money tied up with the centers”

I think if we roll the dice 10 times, it’s Klef out 7.

41. Wilde says:

I love how no one asked about shutting down injured players. that’ll be a good canary for the Klefbom trade possibility.

42. OriginalPouzar says:

Pouzar:
    OriginalPouzar,

Slepy is gone bro. Book it.

Hope not – doesn’t really make any sense unless we are getting an NHL player back which is highly unlikely.

Could be right but I doubt it at this point (unless he’s an add to Maroon to upgrade the prospect coming back – that would make sense).

43. Pouzar says:

Wilde: I think if we roll the dice 10 times, it’s Klef out 7.

I smell a bet.

44. frjohnk says:

Wilde: I think if we roll the dice 10 times, it’s Klef out 7.

Good chance that both Klef and Nuge are gone this summer

45. OriginalPouzar says:

russ99: Zero reason?

Would you pay Slepyshev $2.5M next year just for skating?

Where is $2.5M coming from? We are talking about a contract in the 900K to $1.1M range.

46. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar: Ya, I think it does set the market and Maroon’s value may be below that of Grabner – tough to say.

I’m thinking we are looking at a 2nd round pick and Austin Czarnik from Boston.

Czarnik and a 2nd is better than Grabners return, imo.

I’d take that in a heartbeat. You can trade the 2nd in a package for your better prospect in July. Not many offers are going to have two assets, likely.

47. Pouzar says:

frjohnk: Good chance that both Klef and Nuge are gone this summer

I’d say No only because I put that in the “blow it up” category.
    One for sure, and my $$ is on Nuge.

48. Rondo says:

Oilers are looking for speed, how about trading Larsson for Hall?

49. Wilde says:

russ99: Zero reason?

Would you pay Slepyshev $2.5M next year just for skating?

What? 2.5M? Who has ever said that on this board, or even close?

50. Wilde says:

frjohnk: Good chance that both Klef and Nuge are gone this summer

Nah, I think the ‘we’re not going to blow it up, but changes etc’ lands in the middle for one Chiarelli special, an then a series of little deals.

51. Wilde says:

Pouzar: I smell a bet.

If they don’t shut down Klef for rehab, I’ll wager.

52. krakman says:

With that awesome press conference we can all rest easy now. Chiarelli is on it boys!

Yup after another write off season, steady as she goes. Man I hate this organization, not a shred of accountability from either the gm or coach, not even going to mention Bob’s burgers.

53. OilClog says:

Chia aiming for speed, just makes a brain dizzy hearing it. You had all the speed

He’ll be back with a new coach.

54. Pouzar says:

krakman,

He said the Special teams were “awful”.

Draft up dem walking papers!!!!!!!!!

55. russ99 says:

Interesting presser.

I’d hope they move away from that center/wing flexibility as it’s not helping the players when they switch around so frequently.

I’d also hope that Leon’s game last night starts to progress him away from wing and towards centering his own line, which both he and the team needs.

The RNH comments are telling. I still think a big mistake this year was lessening his defensive responsibilities to focus on offense, so if Chia doesn’t see him as a #3 center next year with that 2-way focus, Leon is at center and RNH’s skill set not well suited for wing after the initial rush or as a shooter, the writing may be on the wall…

An NMC question from the press would have been useful, would like that speculation put to bed.

56. Pouzar says:

“we need more speed”
    “we are looking at resigning Letestu and Maroon”

Chia’s got this.

57. russ99 says:

Wilde: What? 2.5M? Who has ever said that on this board, or even close?

58. Side says:

Anyone got some cliff notes about the media conference?

Bonus points for descriptions of his track suit.

59. Pouzar says:

OilClog: He’ll be back with a new coach.

I smell a bet.

60. OilClog says:

Pouzar: I smell a bet.

If it involves creating a FanDuel league where we can all settle our various quarrels with sweet victory.

61. Brantford Boy says:

Rondo:
    Oilers are looking for speed, how about trading Larsson for Hall?

Unnecessary -1

62. OilClog says:

Side:
    Anyone got some cliff notes about the media conference?

Bonus points for descriptions of his track suit.

I was saddened he didn’t have his Stache on, I’m convinced every successful Chia trade ends with a finger twirl and snickering. Can’t finger twirl a bare lip Chia gawd.

63. russ99 says:

Pouzar: I smell a bet.

Those were some pointed comments. Gauntlet thrown. Play the kids and fix the systems.

64. OilClog says:

All I heard when Chia said speed was “Hall flying down the wing entering the zone”

65. russ99 says:

Side:
    Anyone got some cliff notes about the media conference?

Bonus points for descriptions of his track suit.

It’s up on YouTube if you want to watch.

66. OriginalPouzar says:

krakman:

Yup after another write off season, steady as she goes. Man I hate this organization, not a shred ofaccountability from either the gm or coach, not even going to mention Bob’s burgers.

MacT says too much – vitriol

Tambi doesn’t say enough – vitrioil

Chiarelli kind of gives a path forward without details – more vitriol

67. OilClog says:

OriginalPouzar: MacT says too much – vitriol

Tambi doesn’t say enough – vitrioil

Chiarelli kind of gives a path forward without details – more vitriol

Funny his path forward sounds like a backwards trek. Well we need speed…. TROGDOR MAD!

68. frjohnk says:

OriginalPouzar: Chiarelli kind of gives a path forward without details

Maybe he is not sure what to do.
    When he first got here, he said we need to get heavier.

Three years later, he is now saying we need to get faster.

Making it up as he goes?

69. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar: MacT says too much – vitriol

Tambi doesn’t say enough – vitrioil

Chiarelli kind of gives a path forward without details – more vitriol

I’d say that’s probably more to do with the fans having plenty to be angry about, than the actual things the guy says.

Humans, with feelings.

70. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar: MacT says too much – vitriol

Tambi doesn’t say enough – vitrioil

Chiarelli kind of gives a path forward without details – more vitriol

They all have something in common.

71. hags9k says:

My takeaways….

Maroon and Letestu are going.

They are looking at Kyrou type prospects in return.

They are likely to get only picks.

Nuge is not safe this summer.

Track suits are comfy.

72. digger50 says:

Maroon for a second? That’s not going to replace his goals.

Nuge out? That’s another skill dump

This is worrisome. Am I to trust Peter is going to trade our way back to success?

73. Georges says:

Hi Peter. Georges here. I’m a poster on the Lowetide blog.

Coming into this season, the Oilers were expected to represent the Western Conference in the Cup Finals. With 22 games left to go, the Oilers are 6 games below fake .500, 18 points out of a playoff spot, and 10 points out of last place in the League. Can you explain to the fans how this happened to a team under your watch?

74. OriginalPouzar says:

OilClog:

I did very much enjoy watching Adam Larsson at the top of his game last night – playing excellent defence, being nasty and extremely hard to play against, moving the puck well and activating smartly in the offensive zone – that is a material player.

Things looked very ugly for a month there when the right side of our defence was led by Russell (a leftie), Benning and Davidson (a leftie).

75. OriginalPouzar says:

frjohnk: Maybe he is not sure what to do.
    When he first got here, he said we need to get heavier.

Three years later, he is now saying we need to get faster.

Making it up as he goes?

76. exoilinxs says:

What penalty killer is Chia going to sign for 6 mil a season? What winger will we receive for Nuge when Chia once again loses a trade?

77. Material pocession says:

No one mentioning Josh Bailey’s new deal. 6 years/30M. That’s a nice contract.

78. Georges says:

frjohnk: Maybe he is not sure what to do.
    When he first got here, he said we need to get heavier.

Three years later, he is now saying we need to get faster.

Making it up as he goes?

Right?

Does PC think no one’s keeping track of the track suits?

Why is he talking about the need for speed after he made the Hall-Larsson trade? Is he borrowing someone else’s ideas on winning or does he have ideas of his own? Is he just saying what he thinks people want to hear or is he, in fact, making it up as he goes?

79. OilClog says:

OriginalPouzar: I do miss watching that and it would be great to still have it – Hall is a wonderful player.

Sweet story.

Scoring for the forwards has looked ugly all season long.

One fulltime winger over 10 goals.

1st line left wing last night, 24..25 games without a goal.

First line LW for the Devils.. 20 game point streak. 5th longest in the last 25 years..

GM holding a presser about wanting the things he use to have..

For the last month.. the Oilers have what is it 3 no 5 goals from the forwards not 97 or 29… lol!

Defence isn’t the damn glaring issue.

80. OilClog says:

OriginalPouzar: Acknowledging the league is changing and the structure of the team needs to change with it?

The league was a speed league when he showed up to Edmonton lol

81. OilClog says:

exoilinxs:

Patrick Sharp, Benoit Pouliot. Lol

82. OilClog says:

OilClog: The league was a speed league when he showed up to Edmonton lol

Was without a doubt a speed league when he shipped Hall out, didn’t resign Pitlick for pennies, paid Pouliot to go away… all players with speed.. all players shipped out after the first season.

83. krakman says:

So he is only like 5 years behind the league, awesome!

84. frjohnk says:

Georges: Right?

Does PC think no one’s keeping track of the track suits?

Maybe in 2 years he will say

“uhh, we now need to get more skilled”

All kidding aside, I have no doubt he is looking to get faster and by next year when Cammy , Letestu and Maroon are replaced, the Oilers will have have faster players in those spots.

But I do think his options are limited with the team at cap and no prospects ( other than Yamamoto, and he may not be an option yet) ready to make an impact.

85. Wilde says:

What the fuck is up with Dorion and this Bobby Ryan string attatched shit?

You neuter your return through value depreciation AND narrowing of potential suitors.

This is gross to watch, even from here.

86. OmJo says:

Wilde:
    What the fuck is up with Dorion and this Bobby Ryan string attatched shit?

This is gross to watch, even from here.

Two words: Eugene Melnyk.

87. Bling says:

The biggest problem with Chia is that his ideas are universally terrible, he won’t learn from his mistakes, and his proposed solutions are frequently preposterous because he isn’t knowledgeable enough to identify real areas of concern.

88. Bank Shot says:

What amount of Bobby Ryan would be worth it to acquire Karlsson?

If you could get Ottawa to retain $2 million per season could you live with a $5 million dollar Ryan for two years until you could buy him out in 2020?

89. Georges says:

If PC comes back with the current HC, he’s getting bad advice or he doesn’t know what he’s doing or he has no power.

The team I pay attention to right now is PIT. They’re the first repeat champions since DET. They turned that corner after getting rid of a coach who started the season 15-10-3. I don’t know about the rest of their org. but they have Sam Ventura in charge of their data side. Not only will he not make obvious mistakes, he’ll put them way ahead of other teams in their decision-making and understanding. I don’t know if people get how big an edge a guy like Ventura (a stats PhD from CMU who is into hockey) gives to a team in a league where the other teams employ, for example, Tyler Dellow (a lawyer who is into hockey) to do data work.

90. Bling says:

OilClog: Sweet story.

Scoring for the forwards has looked ugly all season long.

One fulltime winger over 10 goals.

1st line left wing last night, 24..25 games without a goal.

GM holding a presser about wanting the things he use to have..

Defence isn’t the damn glaring issue.

This all day.

russ99: Good point, my mistake. I looked up Pitlick and he’s at $1M so Slepy would be around the same next year.

Then why, for $%#%^# sakes is Kassian earning nearly $2 million.

92. OmJo says:

Bank Shot:
    What amount of Bobby Ryan would be worth it to acquire Karlsson?

The only obstacle is Ryan has a modified NMC/NTC with a 10 team no trade list.

93. OmJo says:

godot10: Then why, for $%#%^# sakes is Kassian earning nearly $2 million.

He’s a Chiarelli type player.

94. OilClog says:

godot10: Then why, for $%#%^# sakes is Kassian earning nearly $2 million.

Successful playoff flying body checks.

95. jtblack says:

Pouzar:
    “we need more speed”
    “we are looking at resigning Letestu and Maroon”

Chia’s got this.

Made me Laugh.

96. jtblack says:

Nobody is complaining about Leons Salary today 🙂

97. StixMalone says:

godot10: Then why, for $%#%^# sakes is Kassian earning nearly $2 million.

He’s our only source of secondary scoring on the team……

98. OmJo says:

OriginalPouzar: MacT says too much – vitriol

Tambi doesn’t say enough – vitrioil

Chiarelli kind of gives a path forward without details – more vitriol

Chiarelli is on a very short leash with the fanbase, and it’s not unjustified.

99. Bank Shot says:

OmJo: I think the answer is a 3-way trade, like what they did with Turris/Duchene. No team can really take both players without sending salary back to Ottawa, and the whole point of trading them is to clear salary.

The only obstacle is Ryan has a modified NMC/NTC with a 10 team no trade list.

The other obstacle is that no one wants Ryan.

He makes too much to go to a contending team, or even a team that is trying to contend, and his annual salary is the same as his cap hit so he is completely undesirable for teams like Phoenix that are the usual dumping grounds for salary cap mistakes.

100. GMB3 says:

russ99: Zero reason?

Would you pay Slepyshev $2.5M next year just for skating?

101. GMB3 says:

russ99:
    Interesting presser.

102. who says:

I thought Tmac made a very insightful comment after the game last night about the deployment of JP and Slepeshev.
    Lot of people, including myself, have been urging him to play these guys with a skilled center. Mcdavid or Draisatll.
    He basically said that these guys might be more comfortable being the most skilled guy on their line. That they might be more comfortable hanging on to the puck and making plays rather than forcing everything to Mcdavid and Drai all the time.
    I think there is a lot of merit in what he said. Playing with Mcdavid is probably quite intimidating for a young player trying to establish himself. It is probably considerably more relaxing to play with mere mortals. It may allow these players to express their natural talents more often.

103. OmJo says:

Brassard for a [late] first round pick?

104. krakman says:

GMB3: Rick R. I don’t think anyone said sign Slepyshev for 2.5 million. Do you have any evidence of anyone throwing that out there? Are you trolling?

He just used the standard Chiarelli contract multiplier of x1.5

105. jtblack says:

Georges:
    Hi Peter. Georges here. I’m a poster on the Lowetide blog.

Hi Georges. Great Question. Let me adjust my track suit (1st sign of a stellar Executive. You see this all the time on Bay street and Wall Street. Oh wait, no you don’t).

Now to your questions. Please don’t blame me for this mess, have you seen what Bergevin has done to the MTL Roster.

Here’s the deal. Griffin Reinhart was the Best AAA Midget player ….. or So I was told. So I thought 2 – 1st round picks were ok for Griff. He was playing 2nd pair AHL at the time but …… where is he now? 2nd pair AHL Pete Oh … hmmmmm

Then I got rid of that cancer Hall. Wouldnt know winning if he bumped into the ’85 Oilers ….. whats that? He’s on a 20 game point streak and has his team in the playoffs?

anyway, back to your question Georges; This summer I decided to do …. well ; virtually Nothing. And I am quite happy with the way the last 6 months have gone. Really I have done mostly Nothing to help the Team.

As GM I would also like to say that there is no blame here. Coaches are good. Players are good. GM is good. The record just isn’t correlating to how great i think the team is …..

Anymore questions? Don’t get me started on Barzal …. or Eberle …. or Lucic ….. (Adjusts track suit and leaves)

106. OmJo says:

If you were TBL would you give up Sergachev for Karlsson, and if not, why not?

107. russ99 says:

I admitted my mistake, see an earlier post.

108. Georges says:

jtblack,

Being a reporter is tough.

I asked one question. You answered a completely different one!

109. russ99 says:

GMB3: What do you know about RNH’s skill set? What about it isn’t useful on the wing? Please enlighten me?

He’s a much better fit at center where he can wheel on offense and help out on defense.

110. OilClog says:

who:

Madness

Hey JP you’re clearly more successful away from Mcdavid so would you just become a grinder already lol

Hey Slep you’re clearly one of the only other guys other then JP that has the wheels to keep up with Mcdavid.. more grind time for you fool!

TMac is in the early stages of Quinn Syndrome.

111. OilClog says:

russ99: Go back and watch the Sharks and Ducks playoff games and see what happens when he has the puck on the wall. After the one rush chance, that’s what we’ll get.

He was playing C in those series… not wing. You should probably go back and watch it.

112. frjohnk says:

Pittsburgh now not only have the best center depth in the league, they also have one of the best wingers in the league to compliment them.

Making another run for it.

EDIT:
    Dimitri Filipovic
    ‏Verified account @DimFilipovic
    25s25 seconds ago

Penguins forward group is unfathomably good. Good luck replicating Crosby and Malkin up top. But what other teams could stand to learn from them is how they’ve stayed away from locking up bad long term money on replaceable depth players. That’s why they can keep adding.

113. OilClog says:

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, 7. Did outstanding work on the penalty kill and was one of the few Oilers who seemed keen to take the puck and try to make a play. In the third period when a four-on-four situation developed, he was fresh and I expected to see him and Jordan Eberle out there, but Oilers coach Todd McLellan seemed to want to play it cautious. McLellan put out Drake Caggiula and Mark Letestu instead. I like Letestu fine, but not four-on-four where his lack of speed is an issue, and I also didn’t like the coach treating that moment as if the Oilers needed to kill off that time, instead of attack then.

RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS. 7. Did not get a point in the series, but again Saturday, played a terrific defensive game against San Jose’s best. Two blocks in 16:05, and was great on the penalty kill. Has really turned his season around. The capper (to date) is the fact that Todd McLellan (confirming in his post-game comments) chose Nugent-Hopkins to go head-to-head against Joe Thornton in the series. Nuge won a majority of those battles, and in the end? The war. What a feather in his cap.

That’s game 1 and game 7 against the Sharks.

Why would the Oilers move this guy? Where’s the evidence Nuge doesn’t have the requirement aspects to his game to succeed?

114. Gerta Rauss says:

OmJo:
    Brassard for a [late] first round pick?

Where does that leave Letestu…?…how many other teams was he tied to…?

115. who says:

OilClog: Madness

TMac is in the early stages of Quinn Syndrome.

Yeah I understand what you are saying.
    But I’ve also seen lots of cases this year when a player, including Drai, tries to force a puck to Mcdavid in traffic. Instead of passing to a better option at the time.
    I think those mistakes get compounded when young players are struggling with their confidence. Maybe it’s better for their development to be the puck transporter on their line. At least till they believe in their own abilities at this level.
    Both JP and Slepeshev sure looked like they were enjoying themselves last night.

116. Pouzar says:

Jets were in on Brassard big time.

Letestu for Lemieux or Petan would be frickin awesome.

117. OilClog says:

who: Yeah I understand what you are saying.
    But I’ve also seen lots of cases this year when a player,including Drai, tries to force a puck to Mcdavid in traffic. Instead of passing to a better option at the time.
    I think those mistakes get compounded when young players are struggling with their confidence. Maybe it’sbetter for their development to be the puck transporter on their line. At least till they believe in their own abilities at this level.

Put the skill with the skill and the drakes with the marks. From TMac’s own philopshy on how to get guys confidence up, why isn’t Lucic driving his own line then?

I agree they looked like they enjoyed themselves, doesn’t mean they couldn’t of been deployed better.

118. Gerta Rauss says:

You’d think that OTT tries to flip Cole before Monday to boot

119. russ99 says:

OilClog:

That’s game 1 and game 7 against the Sharks.

Yes, exactly.

So why the singleminded focus on offense this season? Would we have had so many bad goals against if Nuge was the first forward back against the toughs? Probably not.

120. OilClog says:

If TMacs goal is to get JP driving his own line.. couldn’t he atleast play in his proper position? Hey guy go drive your own line on a wing you’re unfamiliar with in a league your trying to figure out.. good luck!

Chia has gutted the skill, and TMac is cremating the rest slowly and surely.

121. HenryDrix says:

Far too much trolling today boys. Let’s get real and stop throwing toys on the floor.

122. HenryDrix says:

OriginalPouzar:
    4 solid games in a row for Talbot and 2 of them were VERY good games.

To me it will be huge if he can play this way through the end of the year. No, it won’t ensure that he will be great again next year but it would be a very good indicator and make it likely that the first 2/3 of this season was indeed the outlier.His career indicates as much.

Go Talbot.

Intelligent comment #1

123. OilClog says:

russ99: Yes, exactly.

So why the singleminded focus on offense this season? Would we have had so many bad goals against if Nuge was the first forward back against he toughs? Probably not.

What? Single minded focus on offense? What are you talking about? He has no wingers that can score so he’s doing it himself. His face off % is at an all time career high. How does the Nuge stop the goaltenders from letting in soft goals? How is the Nuge responsible for the systems?

Not one winger on the team has more goals then Nuge, not a winger that has more points then Nuge.

He’s tied with Mcdavid for the PP lead in goals with 4,

Your arguements are bewildering

124. HenryDrix says:

OriginalPouzar:
    The Larsson we saw last night was the Larsson we saw most nights last year and in the playoffs – he was a beat – nasty to play against, effective moving the puck and making smart plays in the offensive zone.I LOVE that players.

Russell had a very nice game last night by my eye.

Intelligent comment #2

125. OilClog says:

HenryDrix: Intelligent comment #1

Dr. Phil in the house

126. HenryDrix says:

OriginalPouzar:

You were right!

127. thehop says:

Anyone want to take a stab at deciphering what the Coacj meant when he said: paraphrasing here ” Letestu did a good job of managing that line”????

I’m still vexed by it. Mostly because no matter which way I look at it, it sounds wrong.

That can’t be a compliment to him and sure as hell not to Kassian and JP. They drove that line and Letestu was in the trunk.

Reminds me of the game manager quarterback in the NFL. When I hear that from commentators I think, talentless b grade player.

Love to read what anyone else thinks

128. HenryDrix says:

OriginalPouzar:

Intelligent comment #3

129. Bank Shot says:

thehop:

Love to read what anyone else thinks

Why are you reading so much into a throwaway comment by the coach?

130. Bobcaygeon says:

OriginalPouzar:

Russell had a very nice game last night by my eye.

He did but he failed to pick his man up on the second goals which is something he has done a lot this year, he gets puck watching and misses assignments.

131. I don't Khaira bout Hall says:

Was at the game last night and I was really impressed with #49 Girard. He has some great boots on him and was great with the transitions. Leon made him look pretty bad on that game winning play but I thought he was the best D on Colorado last night. Wondering how others saw him and if the stats confirmed what I was seeing? I also wonder what the ask would be for him. I know he’s a lefty but he’d be a great puck mover.

132. OriginalPouzar says:

Gerta Rauss:
    You’d think that OTT tries to flip Cole before Monday to boot

Definitely.

133. Bank Shot says:

I was pretty surpised in the last thread when Georges told me that the facts supports 70 point teams and 80+ point teams both have about a 25% chance of making the playoffs in the next season.

I wouldn’t have predicted that.

Either way I still would like to see the Oilers succeed down the stretch. I’m tired of watching losses. I want to see McDavid pile up the points and have the rest of the players play well.

A last quarter push could convince some of the old free agents to give Edmonton a chance. If the Oilers flounder you can be sure they will have to overpay in free agency to fill any hole.

134. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m highly confident in saying the Nuge’s single-minded focus this year hasn’t been offence and he hasn’t been “cheating for offence” and neglecting his defensive game. Of course, he’s made defensive mistakes, so has Patrice Bergeron.

135. HenryDrix says:

frjohnk: Maybe he is not sure what to do.
    When he first got here, he said we need to get heavier.

Three years later, he is now saying we need to get faster.

Making it up as he goes?

Hockey is not static, have to adapt and change. Progress.

136. OilClog says:

78 goals – Mcdavid, Leon, Nuge, Strome, Letestu.. middle men. 15.6 goals per C over 60 games.
    62 goals – Wings..9 guys. 6.8 goals per wing over 60 games.

There’s a terrible glaring weakness with this team.

They have 3 guys that carry around everyone else.

137. OriginalPouzar says:

Looked to me last night that Puljijarvi was quite comfortable on his off-wing – maybe it was a genius move by the coach.

138. who says:

OilClog: You could put a 10yr vet with 400 goals to his name with Mcdavid and their going to try and give him the puck as much as possible too.

Surely you’re not comparing his skills to JP or Slepeshev?
    Pushing a 19 year old JP onto the first line is kind of like forcing a 20 year old Nurse to play first pairing minutes. We all picture them in that position someday, they’re just not ready for it today.
    Two years later Nurse looks pretty comfortable playing those first pairing minutes. But that first year was ugly.
    Anyway, using this reasoning, my line combos after the deadline would be
    Nuge Mcdavid Kassian
    Kharia Drai Slepeshev
    Lucic Strome JP

139. OilClog says:

HenryDrix: Hockey is not static, have to adapt and change.Progress.

140. OriginalPouzar says:

Bobcaygeon:

141. Pouzar says:

OilClog: Dr. Phil in the house

Seriously.

142. OilClog says:

who: Lucic does not have the skills to drive a 4th line. Pure and simple. At his best he’s always going to be a complimentary player.
    Surely you’re not comparing his skills to JP or Slepeshev?
    Anyway, using this reasoning, my line combos after the deadline would be
    Nuge McdavidKassian
    Kharia DraiSlepeshev
    Lucic Strome JP

At no point have we seen 97 and 98 get their head kicked in playing together.

Comparing forward to defence in development time is insanity.

Asking a 19yr to run his own line with a couple of 4th liners is a wee bit insane,

Yes, if Todd’s logic for guys running their own lines is what it is.. Lucic shouldn’t be flailing away with no confidence on the 1st or 2nd lines and should be in the bottom 6 trying to regain himself and drive a lesser line. He’s paid like a line driver, so put him to work. They guy he replaced..he drove his own line from day 1.

143. OilClog says:

OriginalPouzar: True, he failed to pick up his man on the 2nd goal but that goal was a direct result of a crazy and unexpected bounce that couldn’t really be defended against.

But he’s not RHD so switch him out!

That’s how it’s done right?

144. Professor Q says:

OmJo:
    If you were TBL would you give up Sergachev for Karlsson, and if not, why not?

What would they have to add, is the question? I’m sure they don’t care though. Add a first and second and another contract and maybe they’re gravy.

145. Bobcaygeon says:

frjohnk: Yup. Im paraphrasing but
    “Cant have that amount of money tied up with the centers”

So trade the 24 year old who can play Center, move around the line up, can quarterback second PP and is one of the best PKer’s on the team and has the speed but keep the one dimensional Lucic on LW sound about exactly what Chiarelli is all about…..

146. Bank Shot says:

OilClog: It’s been a speed and skill league for years now. Was a speed and skill league when they shipped out their speed and skill. They went against the game grain and should not be surprised the game passed them by.

Seems like slower teams have still been able to compete lately.
    Kings won their last cup pretty recently.
    San Jose was just in the Finals two years ago.

I think the Oilers should focus on picking up some guys that can score goals and some guys that can prevent goals because this league is all about scoring more goals than you give up these days.

147. Professor Q says:

The Kings were dominate but only for like 3-4 years. And that really only occurred in the vacuum of the Red Wings growing old and retiring (speed team) as they were the speed and skill symbol of the league for a while.

The Bruins occurred in a single year only, really. Now they’re more skill and less heavy.

The Hawks and Penguins and Lightning and Capitals have been dominate for much longer.

148. HenryDrix says:

It wasn’t speed and skill vs Anaheim last spring.

I keep saying this, that PC has been trying to build a team to win in the playoffs. Can we agree that playoff hockey is different than regular season? Was it wrong for PC to make personnel and contract offers/decisions based on playoff performances last spring? I think that is what he did and I don’t fault him for it. One and done in the playoffs is not a successful season.

Also, 97 and 29 are like ice cream and hot fudge, so different yet great together. Why does everyone want them split up? It’s a dynamic duo, and our best offensive pairing. Can’t manufacture chemistry. That said, agree we need another dynamic duo. 93-98?

149. HenryDrix says:

This is another troll. 27 has a NMC!!! He was brought in for toughness on the softest team in the league, and to be 97’s Semenko.

150. Bank Shot says:

Speaking of pickups. The free agent crop of wingers is mighty thin this year.

Not too many guys available that topped ten goals that will be in the Oilers price range.

A guy like Vanek might be the best bet, but I don’t think he really adds anything to this team.

For left Wingers you have JVR, E.Kane, Nash, Vanek. Sedin, Maroon, Perron, Kunitz, and Comaeu for guys with 10 goals.

Guys that the Oilers could realistically acquire are Maroon, Vanek, Kunitz, Comeau.

On right wing you have Grabner and Hornqvist who have reached ten goals.

I’d take Grabner if he comes cheap enough. He probably comes cheaper than Hornqvist.

Resigning Maroon might be the best option out of the bunch.

151. OilClog says:

Bank Shot: I’m not sure what this even means. Great NHL teams have always had lots of skill.

Seems like slower teams have still been able to compete lately.
    Kings won two cups this decade.
    San Jose was just in the Finals two years ago.

Kings had Carter, Gaborik, Kopitar, Doughty to name a few.. all speed and skill.

Sharks were a fast team other then Jumbo and lost to a team that was more skilled and a bit faster.

Chicago has never been a heavy team. Pittsburg has never been a heavy team.

The league was transition to speed and skill before Chia arrived.

You’re asking the Oilers to go get guys that can score with speed and skill… they had that. And those players are currently far more successful then the ones they were replaced with.

152. who says:

OilClog: At no point have we seen 97 and 98 get their head kicked in playing together.

Comparing forward to defence in development time is insanity.

I don’t even know where to start. And clearly I am insane.
    But according to your logic Lucic should drive his own line because he is paid 6 million dollars and the guy he replaced did it. No matter what his skill set is. Okay then.
    In my mind the GM made a horrible signing. End of story. Why compound the problem by asking this guy to do things he’s not capable of doing. That’s what bad organizations do.
    Bad organizations also force young, talented players in to roles they’re not ready for. Has JP looked like a first line winger to you over the last month?

153. Bobcaygeon says:

I didn’t see it that way, the puck was centred and deflected off Klefbom, the attempted pass was still going to the slot, the player was still charging in from the top. Russell puck watched.
    Having said that…..I did think he played a very calm relaxed game.

154. Bank Shot says:

Professor Q: The odd thing was that Todd didn’t object too much (at least not publicly) to the King Bruinization of Edmonton, which is sort of against his skilled Sharks he was used to.

The Lightning have only made the playoffs 4 times in the last ten seasons. Strangely going far 3 out of 4 times.

The Sharks have always been a big heavy, grindy, half court press team. They’ve never been about speed.

155. Professor Q says:

Bank Shot: Bruins were a juggernaut for about 6 years. They had two seasons over 115 points. Two finals appearances. Made the second round 5 out of 7 years.

Mind you, they lost both heavy hitters and skilled players in that Finals. They were a different team against Chicago if I remember correctly.

Although Marchand is still a wee brat. Even if he’s improved his skill.

156. OilClog says:

HenryDrix: It wasn’t speed and skill vs Anaheim last spring.

I keep saying this, that PC has been trying to build a team to win in the playoffs.Can we agree that playoff hockey is different than regular season?Was it wrong for PC to make personnel and contract offers/decisions based on playoff performances last spring?I think that is what he did and I don’t fault him for it.One and done in the playoffs is not a successful season.

Also, 97 and 29 are like ice cream and hot fudge, so different yet great together.Why does everyone want them split up?It’s a dynamic duo, and our best offensive pairing.Can’t manufacture chemistry.That said, agree we need another dynamic duo.93-98?

Pretty sure it was speed and skill.. they won when they played with speed and skill and lost when they played into Anahiems game.

Chia is trying to build a team that can win in the playoffs while forgetting to build a team that can make the playoffs?

Chia is holding a presser stating he’s looking for speed and skill after he shipped it all away..

Chia has no idea what he wants, there’s no short term or long term plan. The trades, signings, and walk aways provide all the necessary evidence that their game plan was/is absolutely failing.

47 goals traded away, Eberle and Hall have 2/3’s of what the Oilers current wingers are providing.

157. Bobcaygeon says:

HenryDrix:
    This is another troll.27 has a NMC!!!He was brought in for toughness on the softest team in the league, and to be 97’s Semenko.

Also, there is zero need for stick punchy guys for protection ….it’s not “thing” that works like people think.

158. OilClog says:

who: I don’t even know where to start. And clearly I am insane.
    Bad organizations also force young, talented players in to roles they’re not ready for.Has JP looked like a first line winger to you over the last month?

At 6million yes you should be able to drop down into a bottom 6 role and being able to push against the lessers.

They’re paying him to be a 1st line producer, if he can’t drop down to the bottom 6 and inforce his will and skill set..

Not sure how a coach can ask a rookie to drive his own line because his percieved confidence is low while running Lucic out there in prime minutes doing absolutely nothing.

159. who says:

Bank Shot:
    Speaking of pickups. The free agent crop of wingers is mighty thin this year.

On right wing you have Grabner and Hornqvist who have reached ten goals.

Resigning Maroon might be the best option out of the bunch.

Of course there’s no way the Oilers do it.
    If they are looking for a cheap, stop gap righty dman they should also consider Luke Schenn. Don’t know how he’s playing this year but I thought he was better than Stone in Arizona last year.

160. P2theickles1 says:

Next Season Lineup ??

93 – 97- XX
    58 – 29 – 98
    XX – 18 – XX
    XX – 16 – 44

77 – 6
    25 – XX
    2/4 – 83

2 or 4 – Traded for a Right Handed puck moving Dman – (#3/4 dman would be fine)
    27 – Traded for anything
    18 – resigned only if for 2mil or less
    58 – resigned for a cheap deal give him a real chance next year on a skill line

Look for a cheap RW (right handed) shooter for McD line
    Get speedy players for third and fourth line on cheap contact that can also PK

161. Professor Q says:

Bobcaygeon: A NMC is nothing if the coach and GM tell the player he’s not going to play in top 6 role and his minutes severely cut……Would you want to stay?

Holdouts are still a thing, though. Sit back and hold a spot and large cap space while the team suffers?

Sure, you could say competitive spirit would take over, but hey contract years they occur as well. And there’s a reasom they have a NTC or NMC in the first place.

162. Bank Shot says:

Professor Q: Was it the heavy Bruins team or the skilled one? I was addressing the heavy Bruins hockey that beat Vancouver. Not the skilled ones where they had the top scorers etc.

Although Marchand is still a wee brat. Ecen if he’s improved his skill.

I’m talking about the Bruins team from 2008-2014. They were heavy. They also had skill, but never had top scorers.

They made the Finals twice in that span.
    They also lost in game 7 of the second round three times over that span.

That was a very successful team.

163. who says:

OilClog: When JP gets the odd opportunity to play on the 1st line for a shift here and there… he looks better then everyone but 29… so yea,

I’d let him get comfortable, and have a run of success, on the third line before I moved him up the lineup.

164. Bobcaygeon says:

Professor Q: Holdouts are still a thing, though.

Very true, how long will a player sit for? Right now, I’d argue a sitting Lucic vs a Playing RNH at LW will drives better results…….This is ultimatly what it comes down to, pay RNH or pay Lucic.
    You can’t have both so pick one that’s going to give your team the best bang for the buck a better investment for the team. It isn’t nice for the player but if you show me a GM with loyalty I’ll show you a bad GM

165. OriginalPouzar says:

Vanek says he’s willing to take a one-year deal to come back and play with the Sedins but he doesn’t know if they are coming back.

Here is hoping he is willing to take a one-year deal to play with McDavid. He’s the perfect one-year stop gap acquisition.

166. who says:

OilClog: When JP gets the odd opportunity to play on the 1st line for a shift here and there… he looks better then everyone but 29… so yea.

Doesn’t matter what they’re paying Lucic. That money is spent. Expecting him to play better because of his salary is wishful thinking. I think everyone knows what kind of player Lucic is.

167. OilClog says:

who: Better than every winger on this team, doesn’t make him a first line winger. And it’s been a couple months since he looked like that guy.

What? It does when you’re clearly better then the rest of the wingers.. successful teams play their best players.

Couple months? What? Is anyone surprised his offense didn’t skyrocket running with Letestu or Strome?

Speaking of Strome how was Weight able to figure out how to get him to score while TMac can’t get anyone to produce?

How do you get offensive minded players confidence up? you put them in positions to succeed.

Sitting on the bench trying to succeed with Letestu while Mcdavid and Leon watch their passes whiffed on.. yea that’s a real sweet environment.

168. Andy Dufresne says:

Pouzar:
    “we need more speed”
    “we are looking at resigning Letestu and Maroon”

Chia’s got this.

I dont think Chia is an Idiot so I beleive he’s negotiating in public. “We’re ready and willing to resign Maroon AND Letestu if we dont receive an offer we like.” Smart if you ask me.

Anyway what do memebers of this community think Maroon is worth to us to resign? Whats a good number? Assume we didn’t like the offers at the deadline?

Would you resign Maroon at $3.25 x 2 ? Yes/No

169. OilClog says:

who: Doesn’t matter what they’re paying Lucic. That money is spent.Expecting him to play better because of his salary is wishful thinking. I think everyone knows what kind of player Lucic is.

Put the kid in a position to succeed if you want him to be confident.

Letestu and Kassian aren’t helping anyone’s 5×5 game confidence,

Lucic should be able to drive a line with Letestu and Kassian and if he can’t, LTIR.

170. OriginalPouzar says:

I don’t Khaira bout Hall:

He looked like a great skater and had very good poise for a 19 year old.

Considering he was the main piece in the Duchene return, I’m guessing he’d be extremely expensive to acquire.

171. Bank Shot says:

who: I would offer Yakupov a contract before Maroon. He will cost less than 1 million and has a lot of the skills Oilers are supposedly looking for. Speed, skill, shoot first mentality.
    Of course there’s no way the Oilers do it.

I looked up Yakupov as I hadn’t heard anything about him lately. He’s got 2 goals in his last 32 games since scoring 7 in Oct+Nov.

Yiesh.

172. who says:

Andy Dufresne: I dont think Chia is an Idiot so I beleive he’s negotiating in public. “We’re ready and willing to resign Maroon AND Letestu if we dont receive an offer we like.”Smart if you ask me.

Would you resign Maroon at $3.25 x 2 ? Yes/No

173. OilClog says:

Would you resign Maroon at $3.25 x 2 ? Yes/No

174. Andy Dufresne says:

I would be HAPPY to resign

Strome $2.25 x 2
    Sleppy $0.925 x 1
    Maroon $3 x 2

I get all these numbers look a little low….but a little low would be REALLY nice for a change.

175. Bobcaygeon says:

OilClog: Expecting a kid to drive a bottom 6 line is wishful thinking to get his confidence up.

Put the kid in a position to succeed if you want him to be confident.

Letestu and Kassian aren’t helping anyone’s 5×5 game confidence,

You cannot LTIR a player who’s not injured that would be circumventing the collective bargaining agreement and would cost the Oilers a # 1 draft pick plus a fine IIRC..

176. RonnieB says:

I’m one of what seems to be a rapidly diminishing number of fans who still see lots of potential in Benning. As an adult i am also willing to consider that my opinion could be off. Therefore i am toying with trade possibilities for him. Toronto is reportedly looking for a defenseman and some depth at center. Do any of the following deals seem fair to both teams ?
    (1) Benning for one of Leivo or Carrick plus a 1st ?
    (2) Benning + Letestu for Leivo + Carrick + a 2nd ?
    (3) Benning + Patrick Russell for Leivo + Carrick + a 2nd ?
    (4) Letestu for one of Leivo or Carrick ?

177. Andy Dufresne says:

frjohnk: Maybe he is not sure what to do.
    When he first got here, he said we need to get heavier.

Three years later, he is now saying we need to get faster.

Making it up as he goes?

178. thehop says:

Bank Shot,

Because I’ve never heard a coach, refer to a player that way.

Curious if others had.

I’m asking people for their opinions, generally what people do here.

A throwaway comment to you may mean something to somebody else.

179. OriginalPouzar says:

OilClog: But he’s not RHD so switch him out!

That’s how it’s done right?

See, even though I have been very express in my opinion that Russell cannot play on the right side in the top 4, I am able to complement him for having a nice game in that spot last night.

That doesn’t change my overall opinion that a true 1st or 2nd pairing right shot D is the biggest hole on this team and Kris Russell isn’t good enough to play that role if the team is going to be successful.

He is a left shot D who is better on the left side but still #4 on the left side depth chart at $4M.

Left D is a position of great depth and I would like to use that depth by moving on from that contract to find some cap space to fill a spot we are weak at, 1/2RD.

180. who says:

Put the kid in a position to succeed if you want him to be confident.

Letestu and Kassian aren’t helping anyone’s 5×5 game confidence,

What does drive a line mean to you?
    To me it means carrying the puck through the neutral ice and gaining the offensive zone with control of the puck. It means that you are making the plays that create scoring chances once you are inside the offensive zone. Does any of this sound like Lucic to you?
    And yes, if JP is on a line with Lucic and Strome, I think he is the guy that would be doing these things. He is the guy they would look to get the puck to in the neutral zone. I saw Kassian and Letestu doing it last night. How can that not be good for a young players confidence?

181. Bobcaygeon says:

Andy Dufresne: When he first got here we did need to get heavier. AND now we do need to get faster. Makes complete sense to me.

When Chiarelli got here he wanted to change the Oilers to Boston hockey, the league was already moving to faster, smaller more skill and the results are this team has lost all that speed and skill so now the Oilers have very little in the way of value to rebuild on the fly……Despite what Chiarelli said in the prsssr today… So look at more prospects and draft picks moving out for established players…..

182. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar:

This cheap developing player should have been a regular on this years team as soon as he was healthy! The only justification for trading him is the fact that the coach doesn’t want to play him! Keping him and the coach for the next season is counter productive. One of the two has to go and given the disconnect between him and the GM the logical choice would be the coach.

183. Bobcaygeon says:

OriginalPouzar: I’m not the one that made that statement and I expressly said that Russell had a good game last night and defended him as not being responsible for the 2nd goal against.

Well said…….he was still responsible for that goal though…😜

184. OriginalPouzar says:

Bank Shot:
    Speaking of pickups. The free agent crop of wingers is mighty thin this year.

On right wing you have Grabner and Hornqvist who have reached ten goals.

Resigning Maroon might be the best option out of the bunch.

Vanek would add an immense amount to this team – him signing a one-year contract would deter management from committing termed cap to a veteran UFA winger. With Lucic here, we do not have the luxury of adding another high priced winger with term. That cap needs to be used to improve at other areas and we need to fill the top 6 wings with cheap value contracts (emerging prospects). Vanek on a one-year deal to bridge the gap for prospect development would be amazing.

Vanek has expressed that he’s sign another one-year deal to play with the Sedins. I’d like to think he’d do the same to play with McDavid.

This has to happen.

185. Andy Dufresne says:

OilClog: The league was a speed league when he showed up to Edmonton lol

But you have to get past some large teams (that used to push us around) in order to win the Western Conference

186. Andy Dufresne says:

Bling:

Just say it…….Chia is an Idiot! Would love for you to meet him.

187. pts2pndr says:

RonnieB,

A number of these deals would be fine if there was depth on rd. Given that it is already a weak spot any movement of a younger right d that is legitimate NHL defenseman although better suited as a 5 or 6, would appear foolish at this time.IMO

188. Andy Dufresne says:

Georges:

189. VanIsleOil says:

Mere days away from the “Free Agent Frenzy” as the sport channels like to sell. Looking at this years list, not much talent to overpay for.

Remember the old pre-cap free agent signing days. How about this little stretch of time (2002-2008) where these absolutely horawful, way overpaid,way under delivered, free agent contracts we orchestrated by none other than NY Ranger GM Glen Sather.

2002- Bobby Holik 5yr/$45 mil.

2002 – Darius Kasparaitus 6yr/$25 mil

2007 – Scott Gomes 7yr/$51.5 mil

2007 – Chris Drury 5yr/$35.5 mil

2008 – Wade Redden 6yr/$39 mil

2008 – Michael Rozsival 4/$20 mil

Yeesh, that is some bad signings Slats…

190. krakman says:

Andy Dufresne: Personally, I think we’d all be surprised/humbled if we knew the amount of resources Analytical and otherwise that these billion dollar corporations have at their disposal,

The billion dollar computer told them to sign Lucic for 7 years?

I would ask for my money back

191. Professor Q says:

VanIsleOil:
    Mere days away from the “Free Agent Frenzy” as the sport channels like to sell.Looking at this years list, not much talent to overpay for.

Remember the old pre-cap free agent signing days.How about this little stretch of time (2002-2008) wherethese absolutely horawful, way overpaid,way under delivered, free agent contracts we orchestrated by none other thanNY Ranger GM Glen Sather.

2002- Bobby Holik5yr/$45 mil.

2002 – Darius Kasparaitus 6yr/$25 mil

2007 – Scott Gomes 7yr/$51.5 mil

2007 – Chris Drury 5yr/$35.5 mil

2008 – Wade Redden 6yr/$39 mil

2008 – Michael Rozsival 4/$20 mil

Yeesh, that is some bad signings Slats…

And somehow he was able to dump them and replace them not too badly.

New York Islanders, on the other hand (except when it comes to dealing with Edmonton?)…

192. Andy Dufresne says:

godot10: Then why, for $%#%^# sakes is Kassian earning nearly $2 million.

193. Andy Dufresne says:

who:

Good observation. Thank you.

194. krakman says:

Andy Dufresne: He’s getting $1 million for the regular season and $0.95 million for his play in the playoffs.

I guess its better than paying a guy 5 million to sit at the head of the table

195. rbjork says:

Just looking at the roster from yesterdays post, and what concerns me is I have no idea what PC’s plan was for this year. Even just looking at the D. They had Klef, Larson signed to great deals, Sekera at 5.5 with his nmc, Pete knew he would need to sign Nurse this off season, but he signed Russel for 4 years at 4.0 and gave him a nmc clause as well! what was the best case scenario in PC’s mind?? Russel was going to be so great that he could just trade away Klefbom? Was Benning expected to become a 2nd pairing stud? What was the plan? I would love for the media to have asked that.

196. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Surely you’re not comparing his skills to JP or Slepeshev?
    Anyway, using this reasoning, my line combos after the deadline would be
    Nuge McdavidKassian
    Kharia DraiSlepeshev
    Lucic Strome JP

Agree with your reasoning and very much like these lines. Good balance overall and JP gets the time he needs to develop on a 3rd line.

Also to answer a previous post, this is why you pay Kassian $2.5M. He can be a good complimentary piece on any line. Good boots, opportunistic scorer, does a little bit of everything and does it pretty well while putting the fear of God in the opposition. There is a lot of value in that.

197. Scungilli Slushy says:

who:

I have been thinking of softer minutes pairs for JP and Slepy. Maybe Strome JP and Khaira Slepy. Roll 4 lines and hope 3 – 4 can score if there is some skill there and decent centres.

If they keep Nuge him with JP. Slepy and JP can transport and will be more engaged until/if they can do more.

198. Andy Dufresne says:

199. pts2pndr says:

Bobcaygeon,

In fairness to Chia this team badly needed toughness! Maroon and Kassian did not cost either speed or skill going away. The trade of Taylor Hall was deemed necessary due to lack of a bonafide NHl top four Right Defenseman and they demand a premium. Eberle deal justification cap not size! The trade for Reinhart and Hall were overpays in my opinion but as a fan I am not privey to much of the infornation that these transactions were predicated on! Hindsight is always twenty twenty!

Newer Comments »