G61 2017-18 Oilers at Kings

The Edmonton Oilers are heading to the deadline with a lot of balls in the air, according to general manager Peter Chiarelli. His media avail revealed little but there were a few worthy nuggets thrown out for the fan base to mull. One of the prime takeaways? If he’s being replaced in April, pretty clear the general manager is unaware of the coming storm.

THE ATHLETIC!

COMING INTO LOS ANGELES, YEAR OVER YEAR

• February 2016: 3-8-0, goal differential -10 (6 points)
  • February 2017: 5-6-0, goal differential -3 (10 points)
  • February 2018: 3-7-1, goal differential -7 (7 points)
  • February 25, 2016: Los Angeles 2, Edmonton 1 (Source)
  • February 28, 2017: Edmonton 2, St. Louis 1 (Source)

The last time Edmonton hit California things didn’t go well. The goaltending is a little more settled now, and of course the three teams are pushing in the Pacific Division. There is little separation between Los Angeles, Anaheim and San Jose as days go down, so a loss to the Oilers by any of these teams would be a dagger. If the visitors are to be effective in a spoiler role, then two wins over the next few days would be required. A tall order.

AFTER 60, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 22-32-6, goal differential -42 (50 points)
  • Oilers 16-17: 32-20-8, goal differential +17 (72 points)
  • Oilers 17-18: 25-31-4, goal differential -30 (54 points)
  • February 23, 2016: Ottawa 4, Edmonton 1 (Source)
  • February 22, 2017: Edmonton 4, Florida 3 (Source)

This year’s team could put some real daylight between themselves and the 15-16 team with a win tonight. Last year’s team is long gone and it won’t get any better. How bad is the gap? The 2015-16 team went 9-11-2 to finish 31-43-8, 70 points. Last year’s team went 15-6-1 to finish 47-26-9, 103 points. This year’s team has shown a baffling inability to get on a winning run so 20 points in 22 games (the 15-16 route) is the reasonable expectation.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM FEBRUARY

• At home to: Colorado, Tampa Bay (Expected 0-1-1) (Actual 1-0-1)
  • On the road to: Los AngelesAnaheimSan Jose (Expected 1-1-1) (Actual 0-3-0)
  • At home to: Florida (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: Vegas, Arizona, Colorado (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 1-2-0)
  • At home to: Boston, Colorado (Expected 1-1-0) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose (Expected 0-2-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 5-6-3, 13 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 3-7-1, seven points in 11 games

CHIARELLI’S AVAIL

Peter Chiarelli is proceeding with a plan and wanted to be clear there are no plans to blow up the roster. I hadn’t heard that rumor, but it was apparently something management wanted to make clear. Some comments.

• “There is interest in (Maroon and Letestu). We have talked to those two players about re-signing. These are two playoff-proven players from last year. They’re very versatile players. They bring a level of experience and expertise. There is interest there. I don’t like talking about players specifically in the trade context, but it’s a reality. There’s interest there so we’ll see where it goes.”

Surprising item on attempts to re-sign both men, I think we can see Letestu’s replacement (Jujhar Khaira) and Maroon exiting means increased speed likely inside the top-six forwards. There was chatter about getting young, NHL-ready types (the entry-level deals we have discussed) and I imagine it’ll come down to a choice between picks or prospects. Edmonton almost dealt Justin Schultz to the Los Angeles Kings for Nikolay Prokhorkin in 2016 before dealing him to Pittsburgh for the third-round selection that turned into Filip Berglund, that may be the kind of choice we’re talking about with these two UFA’s.

• “As far as hockey deals, we’re looking at a couple. I don’t know where they sit right now. There’s some larger action going on right now and we’re not in it.”

I’ll guess Ryan Strome and Matt Benning but these are guesses from the ‘pissing in the wind’ file. Edmonton making four moves before Monday deadline seems rich. Two? That seems right.

Bear is having a solid year, even with the injury issues that cost him a bunch of games. Could he receive a recall before season’s end? Possibly.

One of the reasons I have Ty Smith ranked No. 5 on my 2018 draft list is that the offensive package is outstanding. He can defend, skate, pass beautifully and impact offense. We all have our favorites and there’s a pile of fine blue this time but that guy appears to be the real deal. Smith went 3-4-7 +7 last night in a huge game for the draft-eligible defender. Kailer Yamamoto was 1-2-3 +5 on the night.

KAILER YAMAMOTO

• Yamamoto 2016-17: 65GP, 42-57-99 (1.52 points-per-game)
  • Yamamoto 2017-18: 31GP, 17-35-52 (1.68 points-per-game)
  • Yamamoto first 10 games: 1-8-9
  • Yamamoto second 10 games: 7-11-18
  • Yamamoto third 10 games: 8-14-22

I’m not sure he’ll get to 2.00 points-per-game but he’s having a terrific run now. Yamamoto turns pro this fall and will have an excellent chance to make the big club. I think Peter Chiarelli should do everything he can to force Yamamoto into the AHL, at least at the beginning of the year. Not as punishment, but rather in an effort to improve the overall depth of the organization. The recall quality of this year’s forwards is as poor as I’ve ever seen in this organization. It isn’t all on Chiarelli, that 2014 draft was a strange one, but having an extra offensive winger on the farm with NHL ability would be a wise choice for Edmonton in 2018-19.

The Calgary Flames have deployed several players from their minor league team (the Stockton Heat) this year: Mark Jankowski, Andrew Mangiapane, Garnet Hathaway, Ryan Lomberg, Marek Hrivik among others. Several have performed very well once recalled. That should be the goal for the Oilers and it won’t happen in one summer.

A good start? Once Kailer Yamamoto and Tyler Benson arrive in Bakersfield, play the hell out of them. They need the at-bats from Day 1.

718 Responses to "G61 2017-18 Oilers at Kings"

« Older Comments
  1. Diablo says:

Hahahahahaha

2. russ99 says:

Omg! The streak is over!

Bettman let us have one.

3. Dominoiler says:

Insane, why is it even a conversation, it’s obvious interference.. I Feel Like Im Taking Crazy Pills!!?? #NHL201718

4. HenryDrix says:

What has hockey become?!?!?!

5. Nailer Yakumoto says:

Just NHL things.

6. Spooky Lynx says:

Spooky Lynx:
    Can’t push the goalie into the net.

Caggs had a goal called back a few weeks ago against the Avs for EXACTLY this reason.

Should be no goal.

A-thank you.

7. flyfish1168 says:

The streak is broken. Only because it was brought out the consecutive decisions made against us. A$$holes

8. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Hallelujah. Does not excuse the inexplicably bad defending but it’s about time one went our way.

9. Pouzar says:

I still like Drai in OT

10. russ99 says:

Replay/challenges is killing the league. Take them away and make running the goalie a game misconduct,

11. Pouzar says:

Wonderful. I’m sober again.

12. Nailer Yakumoto says:

I don’t get why they put time on the clock, they let the time run out without a whistle.

13. Side says:

LOL why does the NHL do this runaround? The ‘War Room’ reviews to see if it’s a good goal and they say it is. How is it a “good goal” if it’s goaltender interference? It’s ridiculous for them to put on the blinders and say it’s a “good goal” when they know it’s not a goal due to goaltender interference.

14. Diablo says:

NHL is so stoopid – could have just reviewed the whole thing, acknowledged that the puck crossed the line but that there was goalie interference, so no goal. Instead they went through that long drawn out process. Stoopid

15. BONE207 says:

NHL replays=Letestuing

16. OilClog says:

Isn’t goalie interference a 2 minute minor

17. Pretendergast says:

May have got lost on the last page, they gave us that one to get us off that ridiculous Leaf trail. #conspiracytheory

18. Minister D- says:

Seriously, the NHL review process is reaching Monty Python levels of bufoonery. FFS.

19. BONE207 says:

Pouzar:
    I still like Drai in OT

The New Improved Drai ist good

20. Dominoiler says:

Side,

Exactly, it’s so bizarre and frustrating..

21. Material pocession says:

Nailer Yakumoto:

Me either. I’d like an explanation. The clock ran down to zero.

22. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

I continue to like what Cammy brings. I would trade him at the deadline for a pick but ask him if he would like to sign back with the team this summer. He makes savvy little plays. Smart player. One year deal for 1.5m to play a bottom 6 wing role.

23. Kepler says:

Material pocession,

Makes absolutely zero sense why they put time back on the clock.

24. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OilClog:
    Isn’t goalie interference a 2 minute minor

Not always.

25. Side says:

“It’s not a goal”

“Are you sure?”

“It’s a good goal.”

“Are you sure?”

“It’s not a good goal.”

The NHL in a nutshell.

26. Confused says:

Seriously, the Edmonton Oilers should come with a health warning that one nearly gave me a heart-attack

27. BONE207 says:

Time for Oly hockey where the reffing is starting to look professional. They even reversed a 4 minute highstick call in this gold medal game with the replay.

28. Pouzar says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker):
    I continue to like what Cammy brings. I would trade him at the deadline for a pick but ask him if he would like to sign back with the team this summer. He makes savvy little plays. Smart player.One year deal for 1.5m to play a bottom 6 wing role.

29. npanciroli says:

Didn’t the NHL review for goalie interference? I think streak still on since no team challenged.

30. Offside says:

Is it wrong that there’s a part of me that’s slightly disappointed the goalie interference streak is over? The streak was almost fun in its absurdity

31. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Putting time back on is the correct call.
    The puck was deemed to have crossed the goalline. At that moment the clock has to stop so they need to put that time on the clock.

The goalie interference then negates the goal.

But the goal being canceled out does not mean the play keeps going since it was a goal (over the line) in the first place.

32. Nailer Yakumoto says:

NHL war room is like a game of Guess Who, where you only get to ask 1 question at a time.

33. Pouzar says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Putting time back on is the correct call.

Strome disagrees.

CHED interview says he thought game should have been over.

34. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Pouzar: He does all that when he has the time and space to do it. Don’t think he has the boots to get it done for himself anymore and he will be another year older. He isn’t top 6 and we desperately need PKers in the bottom 6.

Yes we need PKers. Priority would be to add one, and fire the special teams coaches. But I would bring Cammy back. I don’t know why he hasn’t been told to pack heavy for this trip though.

Trade him then bring him back.

35. BONE207 says:

Nailer Yakumoto:

4 guys sitting at a table playing Fish

36. deardylan says:

REFEREEBLANCA

Lots of Laughs. Rollercoaster Baby. Unexpect the Expected This Season.

What an start and ending by Oilers, riding high with 4-2 lead with seconds to go, LA fires its guns, refs lose control and Oilers win in regulation.

What Will Be The Ramifications for Draft Day Lottery?

Lets look at end of the season. Oilers could have ended up with OT/SO loss and instead they get 2pts. Will that make a difference for the lottery pick they win?

Will that make a difference for the lottery pick LA wins? Or missing the playoffs. Look forward to where Oilers and the teams they eliminate from the playoffs end up ondraft day.

#GroundHogVideoDay

37. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Pouzar: Strome disagrees.

CHED interview says he thought game should have been over.

38. Side says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Well, Strome is wrong. A goal stops the clock. A goal was scored, then overturned.

Is it a goal scored, if said goal is scored because of goaltender interference?

39. Pouzar says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): He doesn’t have the boots but I see him making good plays, mostly backchecking atually. He has a big hockey brain.

Yes we need PKers. Priority would be to add one, and fire the special teams coaches.But I would bring Cammy back. I don’t know why he hasn’t been told to pack heavy for this trip though.

Trade him then bring him back.

I’m a big no on a Cammy return given the Chia mandate to improve speed.

40. prefonmich says:

That was a wild finish. Just wondering if LA would have scored in the last 8 seconds as play continued before all the review drama could Oilers have reviewed play and negated the goal after interference??

41. Nailer Yakumoto says:

Gold medal game is great, if anyone is not watching.

42. Pouzar says:

The NHL shouldn’t feel too bad, the NFL still have no fuckin clue what a catch is.

43. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Side: Is it a goal scored, if said goal is scored because of goaltender interference?

Yes. Put it this way, it’s not like they deened the puck did not cross the line. If it did not, then time ran our.

But the puck crossed the line — goal. Clock stops

Upon review –goal was scored due to interference. That means no goal but the event marks the play dead. Clock stops then.

44. Pouzar says:

Wow Germany

45. digger50 says:

Kings are still a handful.

They terrorize the front of our net three at active me. Dam wish we could get our share of those net front goal which seem to have dried up.

Good reminder that while we can increase our team speed, we still need some size to go with it. We are a little light on d right now.

46. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Pouzar: It’s hard to tell how many PKers we need based on the ability of this coaching staff to coach a PK but I think we are going to need 2 for sure.

I’m a big no on a Cammy return given the Chia mandate to improve speed.

I don’t mind Cammy on the bottom 6. I would include Caggiula in a deal for an upgrade 15-20g winger for the top 6.

47. Gerta Rauss says:

I still haven’t seen a replay that definitively shows the puck crossed the line but whatever

eff you Doughty…lol

48. Pescador says:

Nailer Yakumoto:
    Gold medal game is great, if anyone is not watching.

ZE Germans!!

49. striatic says:

Pescador: ZE Germans!!

Glaubst Du an Wunder!?

50. striatic says:

OH NO!!!!

51. Nailer Yakumoto says:

Craziness

52. Pescador says:

Lordy,
    They had it

53. Woogie63 says:

Louie is literally working off the back of an envelope

54. Pouzar says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): I don’t interpret speed as foot speed. I think Cammy brings more to the table than speedster Caggiula. Yeah I know the age gap.

He is definitely more effective than Caggs. No argument there.

I just don’t see Cammy as an effective bottom 6 player since he will be playing with less offensive talent which negates his strengths imo. That and the fact he doesn’t kill penalties is a no for me.

55. Westchester Oil says:

Germany-Russia is a wild & crazy game. 4 goals in the last 7 minutes. Russia scores a shortie in the last minute to tie?!!

I’m actually cheering for Russia. If Germany wins they’ll break our record of 14 gold medals.

56. Pescador says:

Pescador: ZE Germans!!

In our life times,
    They will never get closer

57. Pouzar says:

Is Rob Brown drunk on CHED?

He thinks it was a good goal by Kings and the women’s Gold Medal game was 4 on 4 in OT?

58. striatic says:

The Germans have to remind themselves that at the start of this tournament if they had been given the option to start the tournament in OT versus OAR for the Gold Medal, they would have taken that option.

59. OriginalPouzar says:

Craziness in the gold medal game.

Almost as crazy as being awake at this perverse hour with a 237 am alarm.

60. Spooky Lynx says:

Westchester Oil,

I want some more of those great German athletes to choose hockey over football. Drai is a good start, a gold medal would be a difference maker.

61. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Pouzar: He is definitely more effective than Caggs. No argument there.

I see where you are coming from.

Next year I would like to see

Caggiula, a pick and a prospect for a decent 2-way winger on a relatively cheap contract. Oh, like a Conor Sheary

Sheary-McDavid-Puljujarvi
    Slepyshev-Draisaitl-Strome
    Lucic-Nuge-Cammy
    PKer-Khaira-Kassian

Something like that. But I doubt it goes down that way. Chia feels the heat.

62. prefonmich says:

Pouzar,

It’s not a good goal BUT it was 4 on 4 in the gold.medal women’s game. He’s only partly drunk.

63. Westchester Oil says:

Spooky Lynx:
    Westchester Oil,

If young Germans start taking up hockey like Americans did after the ’80 Miracle on Ice, we’ll have one more country to seriously worry about. 🙂

Plus, I”ve got the rights to Kaprizov (3 points tonight) in my fantasy hockey league – hope he comes over to the NHL soon.

64. Pouzar says:

prefonmich:
    Pouzar,

65. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Pouzar: Holy shit I need to start drinking on school nights again. I had no idea OT was 4 on 4!

Yep, and why our women’s team got owned by the US’s dominant speed in that OT.

66. Pescador says:

striatic:

True,
    But I’m sure they would have picked themselves for the lucky winner!
    Go Germs

67. deardylan says:

What the LA Kings Fan said with a few seconds to go in regulation…
    What the German Fans said with 55 seconds to go in regulation…

Thanks Eurosport Twitter for making me laugh many times in Olympic game.

68. Nailer Yakumoto says:

Wow

69. striatic says:

Dammit.

What a dumb fluke penalty to end that game.

70. Nailer Yakumoto says:

Well fudge.

71. Pretendergast says:

Pouzar,

Olympic ice and 4 on 4. Those US ladies were born for that kind of game. No idea how our girls hung on that long.

72. GMB3 says:

russ99:

Yes because the goalie got ran there. Rick’s bizzaro world

73. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Hats off to all the Canadian athletes this year. You made us proud! 29 medals is a great haul.

74. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

My wishlist for the deadline…

Cammy for a 3rd
    Letestu for a 3rd
    Maroon for a 2nd
    Montoya for a 4th
    Find out what Strome wants on a 2 year extension–depending on the answer–deal or keep

If those picks can be substituted for actual prospects, fine. But I don’t like the idea of trying to get NHL-ready prospects just for the sake of speeding things up vs picks. That mentality is what led to the Reinhart trade.

No to Nic Petan–yes to Klim Kostin–I don’t believe it will happen, but if I am Chia I stay firm. Don’t really need a not fast 5′ 9″ somewhat skilled guy like Petan. Someone with a real shot at a valuable NHL role, otherwise I take the picks.

With enough picks in the draft I can deal from strength. It’s good to get picks now when they are cheaper and sell them at the draft when they are in higher demand. I know he talked about that in his presser, but that was because he was specifically asked about that context. It was a good question and I hope he really considers it. He didn’t sound at first like he believed the value see-saw between now and then to be true.

If Winnipeg offers you Petan for Maroon and St. Louis offers a 2018 2nd, don’t hesitate and take the pick.

75. trencan says:

Crazy final… Datsyuk in Triple Club… Legend

76. OriginalPouzar says:

Game Day!

Can Ryan Strome lead the Oilers to victory on back to back nights?

I’m guessing Montoya gets the net tonight but who knows with Talbot regaining his form from last year over the last few weeks.

Will Maroon back in the lineup tonight?

Looking to see Jesse force his way on the scoresheet and some continuing chemistry between Strome and Slep.

Go Oilers!

77. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Game Day!

Can Ryan Strome lead the Oilers to victory on back to back nights?

Will Maroon back in the lineup tonight?

Go Oilers!

78. OriginalPouzar says:

Here is hoping that Russell is good to go – I’m not liking the thought of recovering Sekera on the right side along with Auvitu paired with Benning. Could be lots of chaos.

79. Nailer Yakumoto says:

If you are thinking of watching the closing ceremonies when they rebroadcast during normal people hours, the music segment right before the athletes walk in at the beginning was AWESOME, MUST WATCH TV.

80. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Nailer Yakumoto:

Hey! People who live in Asia are normal people, too!! Ha ha

81. Wilde says:

Mornin Fellas, I missed the game.

What’ll I miss watching the highlights?

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Showcase Montoya–hope he gets a shutout, and then deal him for a 3rd! 😉 I know you disagree with me on this OP, but I want to aim higher than Montoya for next year’s backup role. If we could have gotten a Mrazek type for a 1B role with salary retained like Philly got .that would have been nice. But, either way, GOILERS

I think whether or not Montoya gets them something is out of their hands, mostly just if someone wants him. He’s got another year on his contract and if you don’t need a goalie you don’t need a goalie

82. Nailer Yakumoto says:

Wilde:
    Mornin Fellas, I missed the game.

What’ll I miss watching the highlights?

100s of men almost having a heart attack when Connor gets smoked by Lucic

83. Wilde says:

Holy shit, that goal from Khaira.

When I’ve been projecting him for next year, I’ve been dropping his iSH% to like 9, but he’s just scored so many nice goals…

Wild game, wow.

The uh… Mark Letestu showcase didn’t go so well.

9-20 CF
    3-16 FF
    0-5 HDCF (I would have counted that Pulju chance after the backhand spin pass as HD)
    0-2 GF

84. Wilde says:

This is so weird, why would McLellan play a showcase by just giving Letestu pure TOI, instead of picking the soft minutes so he’d look good?

The only line that won possession was the Khaira line.

Letestu + opposition TOI:

6:09 Toffoli
    4:04 Carter
    3:49 Kopitar

Khaira:

1:57 Toffoli
    1:01 Carter
    2:31 Kopitar

This is partially just because the raw TOI is super low for the Khaira line in general, but all of the big guns for the Kings spent the most time with Test and the least with Khaira.

I know it’s a road game, but I’m looking at the shift chart and I’m seeing multiple instances of OTF’s with a swap-in of 55 vs top units

85. OriginalPouzar says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Showcase Montoya–hope he gets a shutout, and then deal him for a 3rd! I know you disagree with me on this OP, but I want to aim higher than Montoya for next year’s backup role. If we could have gotten a Mrazek type for a 1B role with salary retained like Philly got .that would have been nice. But, either way, GOILERS

I would love to aim higher the Mrazek as well but realistically we aren’t going to acquire any sort of 1B tender for under $2M (likely more) and we can’t afford that type of cap hit for a back-up – we need our back-up to be around $1M with our limited (i.e. no) cap space.

86. Nailer Yakumoto says:

Watch the gold medal game too. From the 10 minute mark in the third til the end was pretty good.

87. OriginalPouzar says:

Nailer Yakumoto:

Rising at 2:17am on a Sunday morning for the gym is normal, isn’t it?

88. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar: The Mrazek deal wouldn’t have worked to help us next year. Sure, DET is retaining $2M for this year but PHI still needs to qualify him at $4.15M next year or else he becomes a UFA.

89. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar,

I think the real target is a guy like Grubauer, Appleby, Dell(obviously price is too high for him now)

90. OriginalPouzar says:

Another strong game for Strome last night.

He is developing chemistry with Slepy and I like it.

More solid work on the PK and even some time as the lone forward on the 5 on 3.

I like the looks of a Slep/Strome pairing for the 3rd line next season.

91. Wilde says:

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): I know that particular deal would not have worked, but a lot depends on whether you spend 3m on Strome or 2m ish on him/a guy like him, etc., etc. Every dollar counts from here. I still would like to aim higher than Montoya and extend Talbot for around the same current cap hit, given his poor numbers this year.

I think Talbot’s gonna have a killer year next year with a new coach.

92. Nailer Yakumoto says:

Beijing 2022 segment pretty awesome as well.

93. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Another strong game for Strome last night.

He is developing chemistry with Slepy and I like it.

More solid work on the PK and even some time as the lone forward on the 5 on 3.

I like the looks of a Slep/Strome pairing for the 3rd line next season.

Strome+Slepyshev in 91:55 ES

110-84 CF
    80-62 FF
    60-38 SCF
    14-13 HDCF

I’d say all they need is a finisher, Khaira or somebody else

94. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Wilde: Strome+Slepyshev in 91:55 ES

110-84 CF
    80-62 FF
    60-38 SCF
    14-13 HDCF

I’d say all they need is a finisher, Khaira or somebody else

95. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Wilde: I think Talbot’s gonna have a killer year next year with a new coach.

Hence buying low on an extension. A .906 goalie should be happy to sign on for 2 more years at starting money.

96. OriginalPouzar says:

Wilde:
    OriginalPouzar,

I don’t think we have the luxury of aiming for a higher end back-up.

We can barely pay to fill out our 23 man roster next year.

97. OriginalPouzar says:

Wilde: I think Talbot’s gonna have a killer year next year with a new coach.

He’s looked like the 2016/17 Talbot in the last 5 games.

Small sample size of returning to form but his career history says that the first 2/3 of this season is the outlier.

I’m anticipating a strong run from Talbot down the stretch which will parlay in to next season.

98. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar: I don’t see why a team like WSH would let Grubauer go – he’s an RFA and the only reason they let him go or trade him would be if his salary demands are too high and, if they are too high for WSH, they will be too high for us.

I don’t think we have the luxury of aiming for a higher end back-up.

We can barely pay to fill out our 23 man roster next year.

A guy like those guys isn’t those guys specifically, what they all have in common is that they’re on ELC.

Guy who’s acq. cost is may be higher but cap hit is lower.

NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker): Only quibble I have is having all the right shots in the bottom six and having nothing but left shots in the top six. I know it matters less with forwards but either JP needs to take the next step or Slepy or Strome or someone needs to move up (or we acquire someone else).

Yamamoto and Puljujarvi 🙂

99. GMB3 says:

Nice to see Slepyshev coming on. One play that really stood out to me was when he received a pass rimmed around the boards in his skate at the blue line when his line had been getting hemmed in and he kept the puck close to his feet and used his size to initiate contact at the blue line and maintain control of the puck, and get the play headed north. He’s a player.

I have vocally opposed the Eberle for Strome deal and I still don’t like it, but he’s really picked up his play of late. During the first 40 or so games he was a non entity often, but lately he’s been carrying the puck and he’s surprisingly more effective defensively as a center than as a winger to my eye.

I have always thought Strome wasn’t a very good skater, and he is by no means a burner out there, but I think he’s perceived as being slower than he is because he doesn’t get his feet moving enough when he’s on the wing. As a centre he’s forced to skate more, and I think he may not having the quickest first step.

Kudos to OP for banging that drum consistently for the last few weeks. Both the #freesleppy crowd and OP have had several positive things to come from the recent run of games.

100. GMB3 says:

Reading Craig Custance’s piece on the Brassard trade. How incredible is it that the Penguins are such a successful team despite their most recent first round roster player being from the 2012 draft in Olli Maata.

Talk about high level management and how important it is to lock up your best two players long term. A key takeaway from the Penguins would be how few bad contracts they’ve given to complimentary players.

101. Wilde says:

GMB3:

Yep, and if you have even a slightly inefficient contract, good-fuckin-bye.

See Reaves, Cole, soon-to-be Hunwick, Pouliot, Fehr, Bennett, Scuderi, etc.

102. GMB3 says:

Wilde: Yep, and if you have even a slightly inefficient contract, good-fuckin-bye.

See Reaves, Cole, soon-to-be Hunwick, Pouliot, Fehr, Bennett, Scuderi, etc.

Sure he’s a useful player, but the best GM’s find creative ways to fill out their roster and give their team the best chance to succeed.

Although I’m not sure why a first got traded for Ryan Reaves to begin with.

103. Wilde says:

GMB3: This is where I have a difficult time relating to people who think contracts like the Russell contract “aren’t that bad”. He’s not a big enough of an improvement at 4 mill over guys you can get on the waiver wire for 1 mill. Better off spending that money elsewhere.

Although I’m not sure why a first got traded for Ryan Reaves to begin with.

It was 31 to 51 swap, still retarded, but not actually ‘1st rounder for Reaves’ retarded.

The other thing here is given how fast Rutherford decided to move on, that’s either a good deal of maturity or it wasn’t his idea to begin with.

104. Wilde says:

************wee ooo trade alert*************

Rick Nash for a 1st and Ryan Lindgren, and some other stuff. Via Bob McKenzie. Not official yet.

105. JD_Wry says:

Wilde:
    ************wee ooo trade alert*************

So the Nash brothers are finally reunited…

106. Wilde says:

JD_Wry: So the Nash brothers are finally reunited…

The fucking media jobbing on this whole Nash thing though, jesus.

I wish we got that instead of our clown parade dumping on our players for months before they get traded.

NY had like ten guys driving up the price every day since January, then had them say “BOS are close, any other takers? Please? Bidding war?” all weekend.

Rick Nash is an average middle sixer who can PK.

107. Wilde says:

OFFICIAL: #NYR have acquired a first-round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft, defenseman Ryan Lindgren, forwards Ryan Spooner and Matt Beleskey, and a seventh-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft from the Bruins in exchange for Rick Nash.

I’m not even sure if Rick Nash is better than Spooner.

108. JD_Wry says:

Wilde,

Wonder how hard Jacobs is pushing for another cup?

109. sliderule says:

How would this season gone if Draisaitl hadn’t got the strange concussion.

Concussions do affect a player for a long period and he played below his standard for the first half of season.

How much did the strange concussion affect team morale and is it all good now.

110. ArmchairGM says:

OriginalPouzar: Rising at 2:17am on a Sunday morning for the gym is normal, isn’t it?

I wouldn’t know – I didn’t get up until 3:45.

111. ArmchairGM says:

Wilde:

I’m not even sure if Rick Nash is better than Spooner.

Beleksy and Nash are both 50% retained as well. So the cap hit difference is virtually nil ($200k more for Boston) .

112. JimmyV1965 says:

Spooner has 9g and 25pts in 39 games. Nash has 18g and 28pts in 60 games.

113. Wilde says:

——————————————-

@TSNBobMcKenzie
    15m
    15 minutes ago

Spooner is young enough, at age 26, to possibly stay with NYR and while he’s expected to play tonight, Spooner becomes like any other NYR at this deadline: available for the right price. So we’ll see if there’s any action on him.

——————————————-

I wonder if some team trades for him and then can’t re-sign him this summer?

Could be a decent target.

114. OriginalPouzar says:

sliderule:
    How would this season gone if Draisaitl hadn’t got the strange concussion.

How much did the strange concussion affect team morale and is it all good now.

Although he’s had a productive season overall, he did seem to be “off” even while producing – to my eye, its only really been over the last month that he’s started to looking “normal” again.

115. OriginalPouzar says:

ArmchairGM: I wouldn’t know – I didn’t get up until 3:45.

Lazy, Lazy!

116. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Wilde:

I’m not even sure if Rick Nash is better than Spooner.

He is better than Maroon though!

« Older Comments