Deja Vu

The Edmonton Oilers lost the possession battle in a landslide, Cam Talbot performed many miracles and Connor McDavid called on the Gods of thunder and lightning for the Oilers 4-1 win last night. Special teams shined and the team outpaced the mistakes. In other words, it was throwback Saturday, an oldie but goodie from 2016-17.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

MACHINE HEAD, YEAR OVER YEAR

• March 2016: 3-2-0, goal differential 0 (6 points)
  • March 2017: 3-1-1, goal differential +7 (7 points)
  • March 2018: 3-2-0, goal differential +1 (6 points)

A nice run over the last few games is giving March a better feel, almost like one year ago. The club hasn’t put together a real winning streak all year and in a way it would be maddening to see it happen now. Still, this was a fun week.

AFTER 68, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers 15-16: 26-35-7, goal differential -42 (59 points)
  • Oilers 16-17: 36-23-9, goal differential +18 (81 points)
  • Oilers 17-18: 30-34-4, goal differential -31 (64 points)

Some traction now and the ghastly goal differential is correcting slightly. That’s an ugly number and this team, even with the extreme lack of depth, should be able to post a positive goal differential.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM MARCH

• At home to: Nashville, NY Rangers, Arizona, NY Islanders, Minnesota (Expected 2-3-0) (Actual 3-2-0)
  • On the road to: Calgary (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: San Jose (Expected 0-0-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Florida, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Ottawa (Expected 1-2-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • At home to: Los Angeles, Anaheim, Columbus (Expected 2-1-0) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • On the road to: Vancouver, Calgary (Expected 1-0-1) (Actual 0-0-0)
  • Overall expected result: 6-7-3, 15 points in 16 games
  • Current results: 3-2-0, 6 points in five games

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

• Sekera-Benning were 13-11 in 11:40, 5-5 shots. Were 8-5 against Cullen-Coyle-Ennis. I’d bet on both men for next season.
  • Russell-Bear went 15-17 in 13:34, 1-1 GF and 6-11 SF. The veteran made the biggest mistake for the pairing on the night, once again leaving his feet and becoming a stationary figure who could be avoided. Bear made some fine plays, including a nice breakup of a play that led directly to the Leon Draisaitl goal. Also drew a penalty. Needs work defensively and needs to get stronger, but he is an encouraging player for Oilers fans. Pairing went 4-10 against Zucker-Staal-Granlund, 7-5 (and 1-1 GF) against Cullen-Coyle-Ennis.
  • Nurse-Larsson went 8-18 in 17:28, the pairing played monster minutes and got caved several times. Were 0-0 GF, 0-5 HDSC, and as is always the trend the time with and without McDavid is jarring. Pairing was 6-6 with 97, 2-12 without. Were 0-10 against Parise-Koivu-Niederreiter, who did not score but were dangerous. It was a bend not break evening from the pairing, would like to see sharper passing but Nurse once again showed his impressive transporting ability.
  • Cam Talbot stopped 32 of 33, .970. The biggest difference between a win and a loss in the last two seasons is Talbot’s brilliance. I’d bet on him again next year but would also give him a strong backup. Strong backup.
  • Natural Stat Trick and NHL.com.

FORWARDS, LAST NIGHT

• Puljujarvi-Strome-Slepyshev were 10-12 in 10:30, 3-4 in HDSC. Each man had a strong chance and I like the JP-Strome combination quite a lot, to the point where it’s an interesting idea for next season. Were 6-8 against the Coyle line (0-0) and had their share of good opportunities.
  • RNH-McDavid-Aberg were 16-23 (Nuge) and 16-17 (Aberg). Nuge-McDavid were 1-11 in HDSC (!!!) which is basically impossible but that’s what NST is telling me. Were 10-19 and 1-9 HDSC against the Staal line and we’ll have to see this pairing again (Aberg had a couple of chances but there was no magic). On the other hand, Nuge scored and 97 chimed twice so yeah. I’d run them together again (97-93) and would run Jesse Puljujarvi as the other winger post haste.
  • Lucic-Draisaitl-Cammalleri went 9-12 in 12:21, honestly the Draisaitl goal was a beauty and important. Edmonton badly needs its two best players to buy in to playing on separate lines, and the goal gave us a glimpse of what might be someday.
  • Caggiula-Khaira-Kassian were 5-8, 0-1, the goal against coming on a quick turnover at the blue line. Bear rapped the puck but it didn’t get out, there was some chaos and none of the forwards were able to impact the play. So much bad happens at the Edmonton blue line. I continue to see Khaira good.

If you’re picking fights with RCN on twitter and an Oilers fan, I’m thinking you have some bias. It’s good to follow and pay attention to intelligent people online who also offer credible opinions. He is correct on both points, although Andrew Mangiapane may end up being a terrific NHL player who rivals Yamamoto. A good line in the sand assessment of all involved.

Joey Laleggia will be unrestricted at the end of the season. It’s possible he re-signs with Edmonton but the young winger may want to check out other opportunities. I wonder if the Oilers bring him up before the end of the season for a look. Maybe he could help the team offensively and offer them some recall depth for next season. Or maybe player and team have already made the call.

119 Responses to "Deja Vu"

1. Jethro Tull says:

Interesting point from RCN, bit I would suggest to him that being any kind of defensive prospect for the Flames is not a good thing. Bear is, in fact, ahead of most of them as we have seen him drink his coffee at an NHL level.

Unless somebody implodes, or loses a leg, no prospect is cracking that CGY D corps.

2. Professor Q says:

I mean, I don’t know about 4th or 5th.

Maaaaybe Välimäki or Kylington could be said to be better prospects, but Bear is still outperforming them in the WHL and AHL, and, well, is in the NHL right now while they are not. *And* he’s a RHD…

But, I mean, by no means am I as intelligent as Lowetide or whoever this RCN person is. I just think claiming that they’re correct on both *extreme* points when data and performances suggest otherwise is foolish.

And all because he and Jones were drafted much lower than Calgary’s 1st and 2nd Round D Prospects…

3. Professor Q says:

Also, Nuge and McDavid are magic together. Reminds me of the World Cup, where he had a few chances at Wing, but Matthews/McKinnon with McDavid was also magic.

Make it and keep it so, Todd. And the next coach.

4. Shane says:

Professor Q,

Coach Todd does funny things. He FINALLY gives us Nuge-McDavid but he puts Aberg as the RW..?
    Ugh..

Professor Q:
    I mean, I don’t know about 4th or 5th.

6. Jethro Tull says:

Shane:
    Professor Q,

Ugh..

Yep. Because even Todd wouldn’t run Nuge-McDavid-Draisaitl.

7. Stud Muffin says:

Professor Q:
    I mean, I don’t know about 4th or 5th.

Kylington isn’t that good.

Fox and Valimaki are probably better than Bear possibly Andersson is better also.

8. Woogie63 says:

When was the last time the Oiler’s defense was righty, lefty on each pairing?

//New Lowetide: Hard Target Search for power-play quarterback.//

The Oilers have McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nugent-Hopkins. Why would they be looking for a power play quarterback, when they already have three better than anyone they could find.

What the OIlers are looking for is a RD with passing ability and some facility at getting his shot off from the point. With the cap situation, it might just be best to wait for Bear. Bear is probably one year away from being a 3rd pairing D who can work the point on the PP.

Too bad the Oilers discarded Justin Schultz. He seems to be able to manage that role in Pittsburgh.

10. Bling says:

McDavid’s stamina is something else. Oil were getting killed last night and he once again went into God-mode.

I like having quick, shifty guys like Nuge and Aberg up with McDavid. Those two can win puck races and maintain possession for 97 to do his thing. Good on McLellan for sticking with those lines for the most part.

Aberg has a very good shot. He took a wrist shot low glove side that Dubnyk had trouble with.

The PK is so much better without Letestu. My goodness. If McLellan loses his job, it will have been because of his stubbornness in playing Lucic and Letestu high up in the order.

11. flyfish1168 says:

I am warming up to the idea that Etan is here until the end of the season. Not sure if it is the correct thing to do but we are here now. Bye eye he is looking better and making some nice simple plays. For sure he needs to get stronger along the board and front of the net battles.

12. Woogie63 says:

Is LB still in the Oiler’s plan? He is playing every game in Bakersfield, wouldn’t the Oilers be playing Starlett or Ellis on a last place team if they were moving on from LB?

13. flyfish1168 says:

godot10:
    //New Lowetide: Hard Target Search for power-play quarterback.//

The Oilers have McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nugent-Hopkins.Why would they be looking for a power play quarterback, when they already have three better than anyone they could find.

What the OIlers are looking for is a RD with passing ability and some facility at getting his shot off from the point.With the cap situation, it might just be best to wait for Bear.Bear is probably one year away from being a 3rd pairing D who can work the point on the PP.

Too bad the Oilers discarded Justin Schultz.He seems to be able to manage that role in Pittsburgh.

Many teams use a forward back there on the PP. We have Strome, Slepy and Jesse that are RH. They all have a good shot. It can be trouble if there is a turnover. I really like Jesse back there he has the best slapper and mobility.

14. VOR says:

Melvis and Munny,

I think the book that every Oiler fan should read is that tiny picaresque by Senor Cervantes. But the Divine Comedy and The Prince would be high on the list. Right up there with Heart of Darkness and One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.

Professor Q: I must admit, I missed Fox. Definitely looks good. My apologies.

I was just iffy about the extreme words there. Bear outperformed both Välimäki and Andersson in the CHL by a lot, and is doing well in the AHL and even now in the NHL, so the claim that they’re automatically better just because of their draft positions seemed a bit soon to me. They might be substantial prospects though, still, as you say.

Kylington fell from his 1st Round projection, but he still has what? 20-25 points in the AHL? But yes, still outperformed by Bear.

Where a prospect ranks as a prospect is important because you want to know what’s in the pipeline. I never had Jeff Petry close to No. 1 in the system but he was better than all of the defenseman I ranked ahead of him, a list that included Alex Plante and Taylor Chorney at one time or another.

16. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: Fox, Andersson and Valimaaki are all more substantial prospects in my opinion. It doesn’t mean they’ll succeed at the NHL level on par with Bear, but they are quality. Bear is in the NHL but that reflects opportunity, talent and accomplishment. Fox can’t play in the NHL today, as an example.

I concede to you and your points, and admit that I was defensive and hasty.

I still have hope for Edmonton’s prospects, however. Even if I am too optimistic.

17. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: No worries. One thing we can say is that Bear is showing a lot of acumen at the NHL level. The things that dragged him down in the draft (I had him higher than anyone who publishes a list iirc) were skating, conditioning and coverage. Well, he’s showing well in conditioning and skating, so coverage remains but that’s true of all young blue.

I still am upset over the Petry deal, but hey, McDavid!

Professor Q: I still am upset over the Petry deal, but hey, McDavid!

That’s exactly how I feel. I am taught that forgiveness is necessary but have trouble with it sometimes. 🙂

19. Pescador says:

flyfish1168:

It doesn’t appear to be hurting his confidence ala Jultz.
    That is all that matters to me,
    The kid can tape to tape like a Bear

20. Pescador says:

Thank goodness for that, otherwise 83% of us would be banned for life!

21. who says:

It’s fun to watch Mcdavid singlehandedly win games for the Oilers but he sure is sewering our draft position.
    The Oilers were pretty bad for large stretches of this game, especially the first half. It seems like everybody just stands around til Mcdavid does something special and then they decide to start playing.
    Pontus Aberg does not look like a first line winger.
    Didn’t see much magic between Mcdavid and Nuge. I would leave them together for the rest of the season. My thinking is that we’ll get a lot more offense from Drai at 2C than we will from Nuge at 2C.
    Doesn’t make sense to play 2 left wingers on the second line and 2 right wingers on the third. Would love to hear Tmacs reasoning on this one.
    For the summer
    Hang on to Mcdavid, Drai, Nuge, JP, Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse, 2018 1st. That is your core moving forward.
    People say the Oilers should trade the 1st round pick because they don’t develop them properly. That is hogwash. Other than Yak every Oiler 1st rounder since 2010 has turned into a significant NHL player.
    After next year the Oilers can trade Sekera and/or Russell to create cap space.
    Patience, Mr Chia. Patience.

22. Pescador says:

Stud Muffin: Kylington isn’t that good.

5 years or 246 NHL games
    We’re not there yet, but early arrows are looking up

23. flyfish1168 says:

Professor Q: I still am upset over the Petry deal, but hey, McDavid!

Lowetide: That’s exactly how I feel. I am taught that forgiveness is necessary but have trouble with it sometimes.

LOL, now we have to get over the Hall deal, And that is a big deal

24. Dominoiler says:

I saw lucic good last night, first time i could say that maybe all season.. he still wasn’t great or worth 6M, but seemed to be contributing, a welcome sight..

I was a little ho hum on the Nuge / CmD pairing and still think CmD / Drai is deadly.. it’s tough to suss out, whom best to play 2C because the wingers have been so craptastic that it means the centre needs to create individual scoring chances.. i think, with more capable wingers, Nuge, and the oilers, would flourish with him at 2C.. with that said, I’m glad McL is at least taking a look for more than a couple periods..

I’d bet, if they keep playing Nuge on the wing till season’s end then he’ll be sent down the road, sail on post in waiting.. playing Nuge as a LW doesn’t maximise his abilities, imo..

25. Jethro Tull says:

VOR:
    Melvis and Munny,

One book was recommended by Rex. The Ghost Map, highlights the importance of interpretation of data, that numbers are meangingless without context and that it’s possible for different people using vastly different tecniques and investigative lines to reach the same conclusion.

flyfish1168:
    LOL, now we have to get over the Hall deal, And that is a big deal

27. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: Haha. I got over the Hall deal long ago, the Messier deal not so much. I caused property damage in my own house that day, had the woman I love look at me with disdain and call me (rightly) an idiot. I’ve grown since then, thank God.

28. Jethro Tull says:

29. v4ance says:

Impressions from first visit to Rogers:

Lovely looking facility inside and out. I only catch a few games at the Saddledome from time to time and the difference is night and day. Rogers still looks and feels brand new.

Even from my seats 2nd row from the verrrry top, sightlines were amazing. I rarely glanced at the scoreboard all game, preferring to follow the action all over the ice.

I remember the complaints about the bathroom lineups from when the building first opened but for the guys, there was no problems at all getting in and out between periods.

****

I went into it hoping for a good game but expecting the usual 2 -0 or 5 – 2 loss at the hands of the defensively suffocating Wild. After the 1st period, I was sighing and thinking, oh well, another two boring periods, just one bad mistake into the back of our net and then lockdown til the inevitable empty net goal.

Thankfully we have McDavid.

Dubnyk seemed to be having trouble with blocker side shots letting in McDavid’s 2nd and Drai’s 3rd period goals there.

The Wild’s breakout seemed to be: when under pressure, defence gets it in corners and makes a touch pass to a teammate in the middle near the faceoff dot who moved it quickly to a forward waiting at the blueline. If the D wasn’t under pressure, they would execute the Oilers breakout and go D to man waiting at blueline.

The defensive structure was a collapsing zone towards the net. In the first period, they executed it beautifully, smothering all forays before they became dangerous. In the second, McDavid came off the rush and scored before they could establish a good perimeter and same for Drai’s goal on the pp.

I’m envious and wish our coaches could install something like the WIld’s structure both on defence and during the breakouts.

Jethro Tull: Haha, i call BS. We stay the same. The only thing that changes is the lever. If they traded McDavid tomorrow, I know a good dry waller!

Maybe it was me worried about what ELSE they might be doing, or maybe it was telegraphed, but the Hall trade didn’t stay with me like Messier’s (or the Gretzky sale). I choose to believe in maturation, you can’t take that away from me! 🙂

31. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: Maybe it was me worried about what ELSE they might be doing, or maybe it was telegraphed, but the Hall trade didn’t stay with me like Messier’s (or the Gretzky sale). I choose to believe in maturation, you can’t take that away from me!

You say there’s hope for us youngsters yet?

32. Melvis says:

VOR,

They’re all on the bottom shelf collecting dust, along with Sheila Watson’s The Double Hook. The latter is certainly worthy of another read these days.

“Watson has said the “double hook” of her title refers to the idea “that when you fish for the glory you catch the darkness too. That if you hook twice the glory you hook twice the fear.”

33. CrazyCoach says:

Bear will get stronger that’s for sure. I know the last time I saw him in junior, he had no problem taking on bigger opponents due to his balance and skating.

At the pro level, he needs to add some strength training to his regimen.

So far, so good.

34. flyfish1168 says:

I understand the business side of it more and have more emotional control. lol

35. Bryan says:

I like Larsson but the Hall trade still bothers me. Of course I am also still pissed that the Oilers got shafted in their entry draft and that they traded Adam Graves for smoke and mirrors. Gretzky and Messier and all the other sell offs too obviously. I grew up cheering for the Leafs during the Harold Ballard regime so a lot of scars.

flyfish1168: lol. To be totally honest with you, I still have a heavy heart from the Gretz trade. What could have been for the next 5 years with him?

The OIlers didn’t have five more years with Gretzky. There were only four years left on his contract. He and his agent shrewdly had used Pocklington’s increasingly dire financial situation to progressively shorten the time till he became an unrestricted free agent.

37. Jethro Tull says:

Professor Q: You say there’s hope for us youngsters yet?

Only if we get off LT’s lawn!

38. Doug McLachlan says:

Professor Q: I still am upset over the Petry/Reinhart/Hall/Eberle deal, but hey, McDavid!

Fixed that for you.

39. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– The dream of the Boys in the Bus, there was a quote in Gzowski’s Game of our Lives where Gretz says they wanted to win 10 Cups

– Now we know that was naive to believe that as they got older they wouldn’t all want to get paid (which they did, elsewhere), but you wonder if a rich owner, who had the dream as well, in a non-cap era: how many Cups they could have won… And the battles vs the Lemieux and Jagr, vs the vet Oilers stayed intact against that formidable team.

– It’s fun to dream about this: I still do from time to time: how the mature not-quite-in prime-but-still-awesome-boys-in-the-bus: how many seasons could they have been Cup contenders?

40. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woogie63:
    When was the last time the Oiler’s defense was righty, lefty on each pairing?

When Gryba was on the team.

41. Bobcaygeon says:

@ Lowetide

Would you consider moving Sekera & JP or the 1st for a signed OEL & Domi?

Then having a better option to trade Klefbom, Nurse or Russell..

IMO bringing the cap inline and areal need to rid themsleves of as many NMC as possible prior to expansion

42. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woogie63:
    Is LB still in the Oiler’s plan?He is playing every game in Bakersfield, wouldn’t the Oilers be playing Starlett or Ellis on a last place team if they were moving on from LB?

Yet they play the shit out of him in the AHL as if he were their Talbot down there, while the other alternatives you mention wither on the vine. Nice of them to develop LB for his next organization, what? Makes no sense to me, which puts it on a par with a bunch of other things this org is doing.

Bobcaygeon:
    @ Lowetide

Would you consider moving Sekera & JP or the 1st for a signed OEL & Domi?

Then havinga better option to trade Klefbom, Nurse or Russell..

OEL is an interesting target but for me this team needs to add quality, no three for one’s. Which means they will. 🙂

Bruce McCurdy: It’s an odd thing. As I understand it LB will be a Group VI free agent unless he plays 28 games (defined for goalies as 30 minutes or more). He’s currently stuck on 27, but 5 of those are under 30 minutes so there is no way he gets there. Clearly McLellan lost faith in him during the Talbot injury; from the day Cam came off IR to now LB has not played a single minute in the Oilers crease.

Phone connections and internet in Bakersfield spotty.

45. oilersfan says:

Do any of you advanced stats smart people know
    What the oilers PK record is with Letestu and without? It seems to
    Be much better since he was traded. That alone is a fireable offence for McLellan.

46. VOR says:

Melvis:
    VOR,

The works I remember from that class are The Studhorse Man, Fifth Business, the short stories of Alice Munro, and the poems of Leonard Cohen. It is funny what sticks in memory and what fades away.

I am taking part in this challenge, a group of local people decided to challenge themselves to read the 10 most important novels in English literature based on a list from the New Yorker. Right now I am wading through Moby Dick. I was forced to read it in school. I hated it and remembered not a word. I am enjoying it immensely. It is often intentionally laugh out loud funny, the dialogue amazing and the descriptive passages evocative but 20 times too long. They bog down a great yarn.

As a pallet cleanser I just reread Harry Kellermans brilliantly quirky Friday the Rabbi Slept Late. Couldn’t remember it either. Red Harvest I can recite entire passages even though I haven’t read it in 40 years.

So which books still reside in your brain? Which books helped make you who you are?

47. who says:

Bobcaygeon:
    @ Lowetide

Would you consider moving Sekera & JP or the 1st for a signed OEL & Domi?

Then havinga better option to trade Klefbom, Nurse or Russell..

They are a young rebuilding team. At least 2 or 3 years from contending.
    A more realistic scenario would be Klefbom instead of Sekera. Young dman on bargain contract for 5 more years.
    If the Oilers want OEL the best thing to happen would be for the Coyotes to win the lottery. If they have Dahlen they may be willing to trade OEL

48. Woogie63 says:

We all agree the NHL has got faster.

But has the NHL referees got faster as the players got faster?

NHL referees by age;

12/34 are in their 30’s
    14/34 are in their 40’s
    8/34 are in their 50’s

Freaks of nature reffing this fast league?

49. JimmyV1965 says:

I think the best thing for Bear’s development is to send him down after a couple games. It will be good to see how much slower the game is at the AHL level and I’m sure he’ll rip it up there, boosting his confidence even more.

50. Woogie63 says:

Let’s have a look at Gamberdella.

RNH-McDavid-Aberg
    Lucic-Driasaitl-Puljujarvi
    Khaira-Strome-Slepyshev
    Pakarinen-Gamberdella- Kassian

51. OilClog says:

They don’t have skype in California just Sharknados

52. Pescador says:

VOR: I will have to find a copy of Double Hook and check it out. I know I read it in Canadian Literature at the UofA but can’t remember a single word. I remember details of her bio as if it were yesterday.

Is Penthouse a book?

53. Pescador says:

Woogie63:
    Let’s have a look at Gamberdella.

RNH-McDavid-Aberg
    Lucic-Driasaitl-Puljujarvi
    Khaira-Strome-Slepyshev
    Pakarinen-Gamberdella- Kassian

Agreed but;
    RNH- McDavid- PupuJarvi
    Boocic- Dr.- Sleppy
    Khilla -Vanilla – Aburg R
    Cagg- Gamble- Sassy N

54. Jethro Tull says:

VOR,

To understand Moby Dick, you have to consider the names of the ships, the order in which they are met and the not the differences between Ahab and Ishmael, but their similarities.

55. BVOiler says:

VOR,

Knight of the Black Rose & Spectre of the Black Rose ( Lord South; mean bastard but lived by a code)
    The Spite House/ Kiss the boys goodbye by Monica Jensen-Stevenson (completely mind numbing, about the lack of acknowledgement and mistreatment of POW/MIA soldiers during Vietnam War and after the fact.
    Anything ever written by Hunter thompson, Ken Kesey, Charles Bukowski, Aldous Huxley

56. prefonmich says:

On a completely different note does anybody else find it funny that the Eastern media are so focused on goalie interference now after a few calls have not gone the Leafs way and the talk is “What happens IF this decides a playoff game”? They must get this fixed before playoffs. The same leaf fans that were giving Oiler fans a hard time for complaining about being $crewed last playoffs by goalie interference. Of course our coach didn’t say anything at the time… now every coach is speaking out and being told to quiet their complaints. I just have to sit back and laugh at the absurdity of the whole thing. A playoff game and arguably a series in the playoffs HAS ALREADY BEEN DECIDED BY GOALIE INTERFERENCE.
    Sorry, I had to vent and see if anyone else feels the frustration of Eastern bias in NHL.

57. Bobcaygeon says:

who: I don’t think thats a realistic trade from the Coyotes point of view. Why would they want Sekera?
    They are a young rebuilding team. At least 2 or 3 years from contending.
    A more realistic scenario would be Klefbom instead of Sekera. Young dman onbargain contract for 5 more years.
    If the Oilers want OELthe best thing to happen would be for the Coyotes to win the lottery. If they have Dahlen they may be willing to trade OEL

The first OR JP is the actual trade….

58. speeds says:

godot10:
    //New Lowetide: Hard Target Search for power-play quarterback.//

I dont know a ton about Quinn Hughes, but saw this today:

Hughes never ceases to amaze me. I will most certainly rank him at #2, minimum. I suspect he will be taken between 6 and 9, and if that's the case, he will be the steal of the year. https://t.co/lirgL9vviX— Simon Boisvert (@simonsnake70) March 11, 2018

lh, not rh d, but perhaps a fit with EDMs 1st?

59. Jethro Tull says:

prefonmich,

Yep, it’s disgusting. Totally the league’s fault. They have had chance after chance to put this to bed. All they needed to do is set definitive rules or ensure current rules on goaltender interference are enforced in an even handed way.

60. New Improved Darkness says:

Jethro Tull: The Ghost Map

Ah, yes, the Broad Street Bowel Bullies.

Don’t leave home.
    Hurry to the bathroom.
    Secure the door.
    Maintain a ready crouch.

I have seen the enemy, and the enemy is: splash damage.

———

Runner up: mid-winter bidets in the Swiss Alps.

Stalactite/stalagmite,
    Guess I didn’t diet right—
    Must have noshed a spinach blight,
    On the Swissair discount flight.
    Thus already twelfth tonight,
    Yelping out my taint frostbite.

———

Room service:

Ten percent of a person’s body weight in fluid may need to be given in the first two to four hours.

Gatorade in, garbanzo out.

Gonzo garbanzo.

Good riddance.

Thank you, Dr. John Snow.

61. bendelson says:

Jethro Tull: They seem to be reveling in the inconsistencies. A wry grin, a shrug of the shoulders, “yeah, but what can ya do?”, cavalier attitude.

If you subscribe you to idea that NHL referees simply ‘manage’ the game as opposed to call infractions when they occur, this grey area surrounding goaltender interference is awfully handy… and who to blame for that questionable interpretation of that goal? Also, very muddled.

Another technique witnessed last night in the Leaf/Pen game? Call the goalie interference penalty and thereby avoid the replay on the seemingly good goal altogether!

62. Pouzar says:

Fuck RCN.

63. Pouzar says:

speeds: Simon Boisvert

He had Nolan Patrick at 7.
    We all have our “Button” moments I guess. #Drai

64. --hudson-- says:

Todd’s postgame availability was recorded in the hallway so some questions were inaudible/not picked up by youtubes auto captioning. Highlights:
    – Talbots game
    – Playing RNH with McDavid, Leon skates better at center. Coach likes Strome and Khaira as 3rd/4th line centers.
    – Questions about McDavids scoring “tear”
    – Discussion on Aberg and Bear again.

Source video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW3ihwdVEIs
    ————————————————–
    Q: (video starts after question about Talbot)
    A: I thought he played well from beginning to end. We needed him early we were a little bit hesitant. I thought the first period he made some saves, and then saves on the penalty kill, and or right after it, and in the third. Kind of along that same lines as we talked about after he played the game prior to this where he was a calming influence, made the big saves when we needed, got us whistles when we needed, playing with a lot of confidence. We feel real good about him right now.

Q: (question about Nuge with McDavid)
    A: Well and it’s something that we want to try, and you know whether there’s people, or media people screaming for it, you know it’s something that we want to try, and we want to experiment with. We used him there at the world cup, and he was effective, but we’re also you know trying to get Leon skating again. I didn’t think he skated real well in the game before, he was much better tonight, and he has a tendency to skate better in that center ice position. So 93 29 they can both play there, we feel good about Strome and JJ Khaira playing in those three and four holes right now. So we get a chance to fiddle with the lineup somewhat and see what we have moving forward.

Q: (question about Aberg)
    A: Yeah and you know coming in the scouting report on him, when we acquired him, is he likes to shoot and he has a fairly good shot. We saw him try to use it tonight a few more times than we did the prior game. But still that I think there’s a little bit more there we’ve got to get it out of him.

Q: Connor’s had a lot of impact in the last few weeks, Todd. A little extra, why do you think that is?)
    Q: Well he’s the captain, he’s got all the talent in the world, and I think he’s a little bit sour, and a little bit bitter about how the years gone, and he’s not going to go away whimpering, and when your leader does that, it forces everybody else to play their game. Connors been doing it and I noticed even in practice we haven’t, we don’t practice that long at this time of the year, but when it’s time to go, he is very aggressive in practice he’s working at his game, and everybody else seems to follow. So we’re lucky to have him.

Q: Sometimes when you call a young player up, he’ll get maybe a bit of a jump for a few games just on adrenalin, but I think after 5 games with Ethan Bear now I mean your assessment of his play now heading in the right direction?
    A: It is, you know the poise and patience he has with the puck, he makes some really nice tape to tape passes. I know that a lot of the forwards want to play when he’s on the ice so that’s a real good sign. He’s learning and gaining experience defensively. You know the players are just a little more sly here, they’re a little bit, you know, they’re not necessarily always faster or stronger, but there’s often a little bit smarter and they can pick your pockets at certain times, and he’s learning that but he’s doing a real good job while he’s doing it.

Q: Talked about McDavid being aggressive in practice but when it comes to shooting the puck it seems like he’s getting more aggressive and he seems like he is on a tear scoring wise right now.
    A: Well he is on a tear scoring wise and he is shooting the puck. You know, I know all year long everybody’s saying you know Connors gotta shoot, he’s gotta shoot, he’s got over 200 some shots on goal right now. His powerplay shooting numbers are higher now than they were last year and we’re gonna continue to require that from him or ask that of him, but I don’t think he’s shortchanging anybody when it comes to shooting.

65. mustang says:

Haha to funny LT, Gretz being shipped out was something I just couldn’t believe. I didn’t and couldn’t actually believe what I heard and saw… totally devastated, just numbness.

Every trade since isn’t a shock at all, it’s kind of ho-hum

66. speeds says:

Pouzar,

What are your thoughts re: Quinn Hughes?

67. Pescador says:

New Improved Darkness: Ah, yes, the Broad Street Bowel Bullies.

Don’t leave home.
    Hurry to the bathroom.
    Secure the door.
    Maintain a ready crouch.

I have seen the enemy, and the enemy is: splash damage.

———

Runner up: mid-winter bidets in the Swiss Alps.

Stalactite/stalagmite,
    Guess I didn’t diet right—
    Must have noshed a spinach blight,
    On the Swissair discount flight.
    Thus already twelfth tonight,
    Yelping of my taint frostbite.

Gatorade in, garbanzo out.

Gonzo garbanzo.

Good riddance.

Thank you, Dr. John Snow.

Interesting fact
    Taint frostbite is the 7th leading cause of hospitalization in Norway

68. BONE207 says:

New Improved Darkness: Ah, yes, the Broad Street Bowel Bullies.

Don’t leave home.
    Hurry to the bathroom.
    Secure the door.
    Maintain a ready crouch.

I have seen the enemy, and the enemy is: splash damage.

———

Runner up: mid-winter bidets in the Swiss Alps.

Stalactite/stalagmite,
    Guess I didn’t diet right—
    Must have noshed a spinach blight,
    On the Swissair discount flight.
    Thus already twelfth tonight,
    Yelping of my taint frostbite.

Gatorade in, garbanzo out.

Gonzo garbanzo.

Good riddance.

Thank you, Dr. John Snow.

Just to be a CaveMan Dick…shouldn’t you have to qualify these entries with a warning or at least:

…And now, a word from our sponsors…???

69. BONE207 says:

Pouzar: He had Nolan Patrick at 7.
    We all have our “Button” moments I guess. #Drai

Ok, now I think that you write #Drai as a form of self restraint, keeping yourself “dry”.

It’s ok, I just think sometimes you are a little obsessive. Sleppy, Darnell & now Drai.

70. Melvis says:

VOR,

All of The Hardy Boys – grins.

“It’s Like This Cat” at the age of 12 had me thinking about living in a larger, urban, sophisticated world.

As did “The Catcher in the Rye.”

These were concomitant with the exchange of the children’s library card at 13 for the adult version, after which I was cleaning out the stacks for anything and everything I could get my hands on related to art and architecture. After which the world became my oyster.

“Catch 22” plays a role in my teens.

Leonard Cohen, “Beautiful Losers” and the rest of the well known Canadians. Mordecai Richler especially.

My dad had a sub to Esquire – so all of those short stories. As well as everything New Yorker. And most of those authors and their books.

I had the first edition of Rolling Stone and many following , so Hunter S. Thompson and all that pin headed rebellion of the 60’s.

“Macys, Gimbels and Me”. Bernice Fitzgibbon. In my youth, the close study everything “advertising copywriting and media” as a practical means of getting to NYC or some larger world. Mcluhan influences my thinking in that regard.

In hindsight, anything and everything that might serve in escaping home and small town provincialism.

The list goes on and on. Various years brought various interests into play. All the classic Americans like Fitzgerald, Capote, Kerouac, Bukowski. etc.

In this vein, I had an English prof given to beating the shit out of overused inactive verbs. We didn’t get along untilI I mentioned John Updike and Rabbit Angstrom over a beer spent pleading out that 42% in some long forgotten essay. As it turns out, that was her grad thesis. Far less circling around each other after that.

Deep dives into the Brits, the Europeans, and the Asians, Japanese and Indian at various times. “Death in Venice” – Thomas Mann, still has me thinking about spending a winter in Venice. “A Fine Balance” and ” Such a Long Journey” – Rohinton Mistry – really moved me.

Travel? Theroux, Bryson, Laurie Lee. Bruce Chatwin “In Patagonia” especially – had me and a couple of Nikons wandering around Central and South America pursuing some foolishness in the 80’s.

I’ve thrown darts at Joyce for choice imagery and read Seamus Heany quite frequently for similar reasons.

It’s a cast of hundreds or thousands actually – inhabiting a fair number of cells.

As for right here, today – McCurdy is a pretty good writer. He’s fully capable of wringing out something prettay good in the sports category, imho.

71. Gayfish says:

Woogie63:
    We all agree the NHL has got faster.

But has the NHL referees got faster as the players got faster?

NHL referees by age;

12/34 are in their 30’s
    14/34 are in their 40’s
    8/34 are in their 50’s

Freaks of nature reffing this fast league?

I don’t think it’s that important. Linesmen basically cover 1/3 of the ice. Refs cover 1/2-2/3, so as long as they are moving at half speed, then can manage. Plus we have video review to catch anything they miss :).

72. Melvis says:

VOR,

Oh yeah, one more thing. I did escape home and provincialism. It was the music.

For shits and giggles, you’ll find me upstage center in the red t-shirt at the 2:12 mark. With the exception of the Marlboro, the postureand demeanour all too eerily reminiscent of that ass – Eakins.

And I haven’t changed a bit;-)

73. Pouzar says:

speeds:
    Pouzar,

What are your thoughts re: Quinn Hughes?

I’m no draft guru….I like to bug Simon on twitter about his Patrick rating.

74. who says:

Bobcaygeon: The reason for Sekera isn’t about the actual player as much as its about player and cap space. ARZ needs money back on any trade or they fall bellow the lower cap limit.
    The first OR JP is the actual trade….

If that’s the case I would offer the 2019 first plus Kassian and Klefbom. I am reluctant to trade JP.
    There is less than 1.5 million difference between Klefbom and Sekera. Pretty sure the Coyotes would prefer the younger player with the bigger upside. I know I would.

75. Nix says:

–hudson–:

A: It is, you know the poise and patience he has with the puck, HE MAKES SOME REALLY NICE TAPE TO TAPE PASSES. I KNOW THAT A LOT OF THE FORWARDS WANT TO PLAY WHEN HE’S ON THE ICE so that’s a real good sign.

He he 🙂 Eat shit Russell.

76. Bling says:

Todd is bang-on in saying that Bear’s passing ability is impressive.

Hard, accurate passes, and he isn’t afraid to break-out the puck to the middle of the ice. He might already be the best on our d-corps in that department.

77. Nix says:

Bling:
    Todd is bang-on in saying that Bear’s passing ability is impressive.

Amen.

Methinks a wide open, neutral zone swooping German got looked off a few too many times lately in favor of a ‘reset’.

Just getting my daggers in when I can.

78. Bling says:

A quick note on shoulder injuries:

They are no joke.

I have chronic shoulder instability from repeated dislocations with a labral tear and cartilage injury. When it gets injured, it takes a long time to feel normal again. I did not have surgery, and even doing physio, it can take a solid 6-8 months to feel completely 100% on the ice.

When I played competitively and dislocated it the first time, after coming back, I did not have full range of motion. Your passing and shooting is waaayyyy off. The strength is not there. Not only that, but there is the psychological component of your shoulder feeling “loose”.

Not sure what Klef has, exactly, but if he has instability or a labral/cartilage injury, that is a hell of a thing to play through.

79. digger50 says:

Does Lonesome Dove count? Man I love that book.

Especially after growing up with 50 versions of Louis L’amores west, which were basically all the same story and character – over and over! Then along comes McMurrty’s characters. Fantastic.

I’m probably kicked out of the book club now.

80. hunter1909 says:

Melvis:
    VOR,

Oh yeah, one more thing. I did escape home and provincialism. It was the music.

And I haven’t changed a bit;-)

I think the roadies in those old timey music films are as/more interesting than 90% of the musicians.

digger50: I think I represent a segment of lowtidians that found something else to do when a trip to the library was planned. I can’t hang with the serious booksters.

Does Lonesome Dove count? Man I love that book.

I’m probably kicked out of the book club now.

82. VOR says:

Melvis:
    VOR,

Oh yeah, one more thing. I did escape home and provincialism. It was the music.

And I haven’t changed a bit;-)

I am in the midst of realizing my view of the world is far too shaped by “western “philosophers. I am on a kick of reading Asian and African philosophers because I am still trying to escape that small town mindset. Though I just bought a house in a small town to retire to when we move off the farm. My life has taken me far from the small town farm community where I was born and brought me right back again to the same sort of town and the same world view. But I refuse to stop trying to be a citizen of the world.

Books have always been my escape. I loved the Hardy Boys and I will admit I also loved Nancy Drew. In fact I still spend most of my reading time on mystery novels. I can devour the latest Lee Child or the newest “That Fucking Virgil Flowers” in hours.

But the books that gutted me are few in number but stuck forever in my head. The short list is Cannery Row, The Human Comedy, A Farewell to Arms, To Kill a Mockingbird, Red Harvest, and oddly Ulysses.
    Though I once worshipped at the alter of Hunter and the other founders of narrative non-fiction.

The one I return to again and again is The Human Comedy. I think it is because in a few deceptively simple words it teaches a great truth. In our darkest hours, at the height of crushing despair there is still hope. Though that hope may show up at the most surprising times, in the most surprising places, and among the most surprising people. It is a message as relevant today as it was 50 years ago.

Thanks for the link.

83. hunter1909 says:

Re “book reading”:

Bram Stoker’s Dracula reads like an Irish comedy; particularly when the Count is forced to constantly make excuses for not eating.

84. slopitch says:

Maybe the play is to send Nurse+ for OEL, draft Boquist and go for an all Swedish top 4 🙂

85. Georges says:

–hudson–,

(Thank you for these, hudson!)

Q: (question about Aberg)

The scouting report when the Oilers acquired Aberg was:

1. “he likes to shoot”

– according to NST, Aberg is shooting 6.12 per 60 at 5v5 this season
    – that puts him 342 out of 470 forwards who’ve played at least 100 5v5 minutes

– last season, Aberg shot at a 4.06 per 60 rate at 5v5
    – 450 out of 472

2. “and he has a fairly good shot”

– this season, his shooting percentage is 4.17%
    – 422 out of 470

– last season 8.33%
    – 255 out of 472

Was that really the scouting report or did Todd not read the scouting report?

86. VOR says:

Does Lonesome Dove count? Man I love that book.

I’m probably kicked out of the book club now.

Of course Lonesome Dove counts. It is a master work of a hugely talented writer and it captures the vigour and the beauty of the old west like no other novel ever has. I think many of McMurtry’s other novels are brilliant as well. The journalist, sociologist, historian and storyteller all blend seamlessly in an amazing body of work. But Lonesome Dove rises above his other work in my opinion.

87. SwedishPoster says:

The SHL regular season is over and both Oilers prospects respective teams made the playoffs. Lagessons Djurgården team finished second in the league while Berglund and his Skellefteå team finished 5th.
    They’ve both had strong seasons, they are better players today than they were when the season started, they have both established themselves as top 4 D on their SHL teams which are all good signs. Neither has had such a strong development that you’d name them all but certain nhlers, lots of work to do, but they are both on a positive trajectory and absolutely still in the race to make it all the way.

Lagesson ended up with 13 points, one goal in 49 games. Offense ain’t his game so that’s a solid total tbh, though I was pretty blown away when I saw him last week by how much better his skating and puckhandling looked compared to earlier in the season, far more agile and comfortable with the puck. His forte is still his defense though. His physicality and positioning is great, he defends rickis box like life depended on it. If you talk to guys who watch Djurgården week after week he’s seen as the teams unsung hero, a consistent, mistake free D who is easy to like. A player who quickly earns the trust of his coach. He’s the archetype of a player that fans, once the new car smell wears off, might feel the coach gives a bit TOO much ice time over more skilled players because the coach knows he makes the safe play.
    He’ll be interesting to follow in the playoffs as the intensity and physicality ramps up, it should suit his no nonsense style well, but it will also be interesting to see how his hands and feet keep up once the pace is higher. His big obstacle going forward will be if his hands and puckmoving can handle the NHL pace, and if his lateral movement is good enough to face nhl level forwards. Which is why it’s great that those are the exact areas where he’s improved the most during the season. The playoffs might give us a hint on how far he still has to go.

Berglund ended up with 13 points as well, but in fewer games, 44 and three of them goals. You would be wrong to assume that Lagesson and Berglund matching each other in points says they have similar offensive ability. While the totals are the same Berglund has gotten more of his points from plays where he himself played a crucial part while Lagesson has gotten more 2nd assist and simple plays to the net, still counts the same but if we’re to make projections one is not like the other.
    Having said that, Berglunds role this season has not been an offensive one, instead he’s been cast as the defensive conscience of Skellefteås second pairing, he’s played with offensive D Emil Djuse all year who is more of a roaming type which meant Berglund had to play the part of Adam Larsson. And he did it really well, for a guy who came up from juniors as a offense first guy with question marks around his defense it’s quite remarkable. He’s been a main feature on the PK, whenever I watch Skellefteå his pairing is getting the majority of the defensive zone starts, he’s barely played any PP, that’s usually his bread and butter, of his points all but one came 5×5. They gave him a completely different role and he ran with it. He has still shown his offensive ability at times, he’s had some beauty plays lately and he’s gotten off a lot of shots the last few weeks. A few games ago he had 10 shot attempts. It still hasn’t translated into production but with a little more poise, accuracy and PP time there’s a good chance we see an offensive breakout next season. He’s got good enough vision and a powerful shot that he gets off quickly.
    If you talk to people who watch Skellefteå every week he’s now seen as the teams 3rd-4th best D, at the start of the season it was more 6th-8th depending on who you asked. He’s surpassed AHL/NHL tweener Mike Kostka in most peoples eyes and made AHL all star Morgan Ellis expandable(he was shipped off to Färjestad where he’s been a success).
    He’s not as consistent as Lagesson and he still could be more physical but just like Lagesson he’s greatly improved in an area of weakness, in Berglunds case defensive play. To make the NHL he needs to get more explosive, his straight line skating looks better but he needs an extra gear and quicker first few steps.
    Playoffs will be a good measuring stick for him as well, with a bit of a twist, his D partner through 95% of the season Djuse was seriously injured the second to last game of the regular season and will probably be out for the whole playoffs. His new partner is 37 yo vet Fredrik Lindgren who started the year in the second tier and only played 7 games with Skellefteå. He’s a defensive D so a very different player to the guy he’s replacing and also far worse, though very experienced and a warrior. Will be interesting to see how Berglund handles it, he will have to take on a bigger role, especially in the offensive zone.

88. Professor Q says:

hunter1909:
    Re “book reading”:

Reference to Jonathan Swift?

89. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

SwedishPoster,

Great post, always love reading your updates. Thanks.

Those are two guys I’m definitely rooting for to succeed.

90. hunter1909 says:

Professor Q: Reference to Jonathan Swift?

If anyone is looking for an incredible yet relatively obscure book which gives an on the ground account of life in the 17th century I’d recommend Daniel Defoe’s “A Journal of the Plague Year”… Defoe lived in the next generation after the Great Plague of London and was able to incorporate survivors testimony into one of the first if not the very first novels ever written.

For the Athletic: How the Oilers can win summer without breaking the bank

92. digger50 says:

Lowetide: My Grandpa loved Louis L’Amour’s books. He used to listen to Harry James on the Hi-Fi, read L’Amour books and tell me about his childhood. Whatever touches us has value, and that’s a fact.

Well I’m not a grandpa yet LT but I’m glad to know I’m in good company!

On the inside cover of L’Amour’s books he always has a short biography. Just a few notes about his life and if I read that once I have read it a thousand times. Each time I’d say to myself “Dam I hope I can live an interesting life”

so far, so good

93. Yeti says:

SwedishPoster,

Wonderful – thanks so much!

94. hunter1909 says:

Melvis:
    VOR,

Oh yeah, one more thing. I did escape home and provincialism. It was the music.

And I haven’t changed a bit;-)

Another thing.

In my opinion Lynyrd Skynyrd’s performing “Freebird” at Oakland in July 1977 represents the high water mark of western youth civilization. You sir, were a part of the greatest era in rock music history.

95. hunter1909 says:

3-1 NYI over the lames, 1st period.

Looks like NYI is treating this like game 7 in the finals.

Calgary don’t want to lose this one. They’re starting to run out of games, lol

96. VOR says:

hunter1909: I’m ashamed to say I have no idea what you’re talking about. Much of my education came from the “Travis Bickle” school of education – a bit here, and there.

Hunter,

DeFoe wrote one of the seminal works of journalism. It may well be the first work of journalism. It is certainly the first work of science journalism.

It is called The Storm. It was published in 1704 but is based on events that occurred between November 24th and November 30th 1703.

This is the so called Great Storm. Modern meteorologists believe the most likely explanation is that a Category 5 hurricane came ashore in Great Britain. Much of what is known about the storm comes from DeFoe’s book. He actually had stories solicited from people all over England. After making sure each story was accurate he used them in their entirety in the book. But there is also an overarching narrative and what may be fictional characters.

But you can see how it sets the stage for Robinson Crusoe and a Journal of the Plague Year. Real events DeFoe lived through, sometimes as a child are blended with historic fact to become epic tales. It seems at least Moll Flanders and maybe Roxanne are based on stories he heard while living in The Mint. That was the only part of London where a Debtor couldn’t be arrested by a Creditor and imprisoned. It is while hiding out in The Mint that he started his early work on the plague.

97. Wilde says:

hunter1909,

That’s funny, I’ve watched that performance a good number of times.

I wasn’t close to being alive for it, though.

Observation:

People were less fat then.

—————–

I feel like playing Khaira where he’s playing right now is like training weights.

That Strome-Puljujarvi pairing would be complemented well by the addition of JJ.

Strome with JJK / / without – 225 mins / / 558 mins

53.4% / / 49.8% CF

56.0% / / 48.6% FF

55.4% / / 50.1% SCF

48.4% / / 44.6% HDCF

Much has been said about Khaira’s production and his iSH% regression, but his possession numbers are strong. If this line had some finish, well.

… I don’t know if Jesse is going to start hitting the net before the end of the season, but on this unit he’d have more chances than the opponent to do so.

But I also don’t know who you play as 4C in this scenario. It’s just a joke wiith this winger group. Put someone with Caggiula and Pakarinen, have them get caved for 8 minutes, and forget about it. Khaira’s not saving that line, and he’s not developing better cause he’s there, either. Malone?

98. Professor Q says:

Swift was famous for his satires (despite having other professions such as a scientist who predicted moons/satellites belonging to Mars, priesthood, and politics).

I must admit I don’t know much, so I’m no expert, but I do know Gulliver’s Travels and A Modest Proposal, the latter of which satirised the disparities between the rich and poor and the solution of the poor selling their babies to the rich, for them to eat. Perhaps satirising economic issues, along with schemes and solution proposals to economic problems.

99. Wilde says:

I thought I would just update you all that in the Flames vs Islanders game, Mat Barzal was knocked down and as Matt Tkachuk came in to accidentally hit him in the face while he was down, Tkachuk fell overtop of of Barzal and flung himself into the boards, and has now headed to the room.

100. Professor Q says:

Wilde:
    I thought I would just update you all that in the Flames vs Islanders game, Mat Barzal was knocked down and as Matt Tkachuk came in to accidentally hit him in the face while he was down,Tkachukfell overtop of of Barzal and flung himself into the boards, and has now headed to the room.

This seems like the weirdest paragraph and set of occurrences.

101. flyfish1168 says:

Yahoo another nail in the phlegm coffin

102. Wilde says:

Professor Q: This seems like the weirdest paragraph and set of occurrences.

Heartbreaker for the Flames. The rulebook went out the window, and a third string G stoned them.

Sound familiar?

And yeah, I wrote it to give an impression of the absurd, that’s what watching it gave me.

I hope a clip surfaces. It’s fine comedy.

103. maudite says:

On the subject of books:

Personal favourite: Player Piano – Vonnegut.

I think it’s the perfect interpretation of how soulless a world would become if it was truly managed by engineers (I have a degree in engineering and I begrudgingly sometimes admit that I am one, oft times). I think it’s perfect.

I’ve been trying to read robertson davies lately. There are just perfect sentences in his stuff. Like murderously succinct little gifts littered throughout his stuff I’ve found.

104. hunter1909 says:

Re Corsi:

Am I the only one who’s noticing the trend of poor teams shooting endless perimeter shots to please their head coaches who bend their knee to the false god of corsi?

Ditto good teams, now allowing the bad ones to outshoot them, so long as the shots are in the perimeter and therefore low chance?

This isn’t rocket science, folks. It’s like fake science.

105. Wilde says:

hunter1909:
    Re Corsi:

This isn’t rocket science, folks. It’s like fake science.

I don’t think there’s a single current HC that’s on record praising the importance of raw corsi totals.

Plenty of the opposite, however.

106. rope-a-dope says:

Wilde:
    I thought I would just update you all that in the Flames vs Islanders game, Mat Barzal was knocked down and as Matt Tkachuk came in to accidentally hit him in the face while he was down,Tkachuk fell overtop of of Barzal and flung himself into the boards, and has now headed to the room.

Sounds like his dinkness is catching up with him.

107. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

rope-a-dope,

What’s the over/under on his brother being as good or better?

We could use one of those players to get under the skin of the opposition and start drawing some penalties.

108. rope-a-dope says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    rope-a-dope,

What’s the over/under on his brother being as good or better?

Definitely need all the help we can get in drawing penalties.
    Not sure about over/under however the scouting I have read states that Brady is a bit bigger and a bit more skilled and less of a dink.

I am in the camp of drafting one of the right D in June but if Brady ends up being the pick I won’t have an issue.

109. Wilde says:

I don’t know if there’s any player that can draw calls for this team, if McDavid isn’t.

110. flyfish1168 says:

Wilde:

Only counts if the refs decide to call it. We all have witnessed Connor being mugged too many times with the ref having their hands in their pockets.

111. hunter1909 says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    rope-a-dope,

What’s the over/under on his brother being as good or better?

He could be our Lucic!

*runs*

112. JimmyV1965 says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    rope-a-dope,

What’s the over/under on his brother being as good or better?

His brother is bigger, faster, stronger and more skilled than him, but IMO Matt has been so successful because of his hockey IQ. I’m not sure if that translates with his brother. Huge upside though, but huge gamble.

113. Wilde says:

I wouldn’t be in favour of drafting Tkachuk. If you’re in the range that he’s gonna go, the defensemen or Wahlstrom would be a better selection.

114. Wilde says:

Oops, forgot to do a tank update.

We’re now 3 points clear on the MTL-DET tier on season-end projection of Dom Luscyczyczyczcczcyzcyczyzcyczycyzcn’s model, at 79.0 points.

Three shy of LT’s job saving number, but with slightly better air condition than the true depths of the cellar.

115. JimmyV1965 says:

Wilde:

116. Wilde says:

JimmyV1965: If we draft 1 or 2 I keep the pick. Otherwise, I would trade down. If we end up drafting 10th though, it might not have a lot of value.

If it’s 10, I’m tempted to sell the whole thing.

ARI got Stepan and Raanta for 7OV+DeAngelo.

Could 10OV+ get a top 6 winger and a 4D?

117. Munny says:

Melvis, VOR et alii

Some wonderful reading choices submitted by everyone above.

I too was formed by the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys/Tom Swift/Chip Hilton type series.

I’d throw some Russkies in the ring great mentioned above… Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, and Solzhenitsyn.

Nabokov’s Lolita and Pale Fire.

Kafka & Philip K. Dick

Douglas Adams goes without saying under Humour, so I’m saying him, and I’d crush a little Tom Robbins into that there bowl too.

118. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

maudite:
    times).

I’ve been trying to read robertson davies lately.There are just perfect sentences in his stuff.Like murderously succinct little gifts littered throughout his stuff I’ve found.

– Such a good thread: you learn so much I think about people by what they read/like. Love tht Melvis is a Esquire/New Yorker type: makes a lot of sense

– Robertson Dvies: I went through a time when I read bunch of his books. I love this quote form 5th Business (which I looked up after you made such a great point about his perfect senteces):

“If you don’t hurry up and let life know what you want, life will damned soon show you what you’ll get”