Workshy

The Edmonton Oilers recalled Ty Rattie to the NHL yesterday, he should get some games between now and the end of the season. Thinking alongside management, now that the Condors playoff chances are sunk, might as well see how he shines in Edmonton. Question: What job might Rattie be applying for next season?

THE ATHLETIC!

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. If you don’t feel it’s worth the $4.49/month, cancel anytime during trial before getting charged. Offer is here.

PROJECTED 2018-19 50-MAN

Ty Rattie is an unrestricted free agent, if the Oilers signed him (over Brian Ferlin, the other UFA right-wing), could he compete for an NHL job in the fall? My guess is no, Todd McLellan had him last fall and sent him to Bakersfield despite some real issues at skill right-wing. Rattie had a good year in the AHL (21 goals tied for his second-best minor league season) but I see Jesse Puljujarvi, Kailer Yamamoto, Pontus Aberg and Zack Kassian as clearly ahead of him. Early recall? Sure.

Who will Rattie replace in the lineup when he jumps in this season? It could be any number of wingers but it sure as hell shouldn’t be Puljujarvi. Give the kid at-bats! Lots of them!

THE FALL LINEUP

I think we can (depending on what kind of feature deal management comes up with) count on McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Puljujarvi, Lucic, Khaira, Strome and Caggiula for next season. If we look for pairs, that might mean Nuge-McDavid, Lucic-Draisaitl, Puljujarvi-Strome and Khaira-Caggiula.

Kailer Yamamoto would make the team as a skill winger, or not at all. Zack Kassian would be a candidate for 4R if he isn’t dealt. The contract may force a trade. There will be a feature trade but it might involve the pick plus Oscar Klefbom (is my guess). As I have mentioned, this much madness is too much sorrow but Peter Chiarelli is an aggressive general manager badly in need of a brand new plan.

My preview of summer? I’ve said it many times but Nuge for Tyson Barrie and Klefbom for a scoring winger is the next chapter in a Peter Chiarelli ‘war games’ restructuring.

Projected 18-19 Opening Night Roster

• Mike Hoffman (25 goals)—Connor McDavid (35 goals)—Kailer Yamamoto (15 goals)
  • Milan Lucic (14 goals)—Leon Draisaitl (25 goals)—Jesse Puljujarvi (16 goals)
  • Pontus Aberg (7 goals)—Ryan Strome (14 goals)—Anton Slepyshev (9 goals)
  • Drake Caggiula (6 goals)—Jujhar Khaira (10 goals)—Zack Kassian (5 goals)
  • Brad Malone (2 goals)—Iiro Pakarinen (2 goals)
  • Darnell Nurse—Adam Larsson
  • Andrej Sekera—Tyson Barrie
  • Kris Russell—Matt Benning
  • Eric Gryba
  • Cam Talbot (Anton Khudobin)

I think we’re likely to see three major veteran additions (represented here by Mike Hoffman, Tyson Barrie and Anton Khudobin) under the Chiarelli plan. I also think Brady Tkachuk might be the the first-round pick, who gets signed and inserted in the “Aberg” slot on opening night. I do not endorse this plan.

KIRILL MAKSIMOV SIGNS

This is an important one, Maksimov is a legit scoring winger in the OHL. His progression in Draft+1 (21 goals to 33 this season, in six fewer games) suggests we’re dealing with a real straight shooter. Edmonton isn’t going to cash on all of these depth picks, but if even one of Maksimov, Safin or Samorukov has an NHL career it will signal success compared to this organization’s own past. The club is drafting players who own resumes on draft day that suggest there is a useful talent involved. It’s a long and winding road, but it begins with one step.

LEADING SCORERS, LAST 10 GAMES

1. Connor McDavid 6-9-15
  2. Leon Draisaitl 4-3-7
  3. Ryan Strome 3-4-7
  4. Mike Cammalleri 0-5-5 (in nine games)
  5. RNH 3-2-5 (in six games)

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, I’m back baby! Hopefully the voice holds up because my guest list is strong. It’s all on TSN1260, scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, BigMouthSports. NHL playoffs getting closer, we’ll talk shop about what the networks would like to see down the stretch.
  • Paul Sir, The Basketball Show. March madness, Raptors and we’ll preview Paul’s amazing Saturday show.
  • Matt Iwanyk, TSN1260. March madness is pure misery unless you went Buffalo!

240 Responses to "Workshy"

« Older Comments
  1. Woodguy v2.0 says:

jtblack:
    Fancies crowd. Rather than some % data, can you tell me raw GF-GA @ 5×5 for.

McD
    Puli
    Lucic
    RNH
    Klef
    Nurse
    Russell

These sites are easy to navigate and find out info.

Just takes some time to figure it out.

2. Scungilli Slushy says:

Great thread today people.

I believe that with a strong backup and a coach that suits the roster things are good enough to win the cup.

There are 6 NHL defencemen on the team now of varying qualities. This hasn’t happened in years. There is a good starting goaler. He has issues but when on is good enough.

The thing is to get the performance out of the talent PC has brought. Contracts aside if all players over a season played closer to their potential it would be a strong team.

The cap means perfection isn’t possible. Each team gains and loses players, a few went all in and will pay down the road chasing the grail, it’s still so based on luck you need the lady on your side.

Because Connor

3. hunter1909 says:

FINAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

Death March 2017-18™ Emergency Edition finishes tomorrow when the 1st puck drops.

Thank you for your wonderful participation.

4. hunter1909 says:

Yesterday an old colleague who I’m due to return to work with emails me – suggesting among other things that we talk on Skype.

MacT/Kreuger aside, there’s no chance of that happening. Skype seems dated in 2018.

What do modern people do?

5. Pescador says:

hunter1909,

Face time without pants on

6. HT Joe says:

hunter1909:

What do modern people do?

There’s something nice about meeting in person, or barring that, picking up the phone. But I use a 7-year old cell phone, so maybe I don’t speak for the modern techie…

7. HT Joe says:

Pescador:
    hunter1909,

Face time without pants on

You can also meet in person without pants on… just sayin’

8. sliderule says:

Maksimov with four assists for ice dogs

Now has 78 pts and 1.28 pts per game.

Highest point total in CHL for draft plus one oiler since Chase.

Which gives us a word of caution but Chase is a head case .

The thing I like is he kills penalties and has picked up 2 g and 2 a.

That shows the coach trusts him defensively

9. Melvis says:

Woodguy v2.0: Its all right here: http://naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?season=20172018&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&stdoi=oi&rate=n&team=EDM&pos=S&loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=82&lines=single

These sites are easy to navigate and find out info.

Just takes some time to figure it out.

I just look at the pictures.

10. Justthestatsman says:

hunter1909:
    FINAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

Thank you for your wonderful participation.

Dang, couldn’t find the link. Please put me down for 77 its, if I can enter this way. Thx.

11. Melvis says:

hunter1909: Skype seems dated in 2018.

12. leadfarmer says:

I don’t see how Doug Weight survives the season. Their defensive strategy should be named the 5 Russells

13. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Melvis: I just look at the pictures.

You’re my key demographic!

14. Melvis says:

Woodguy v2.0: You’re my key demographic!

They’d spend the time checking out the backs of the cards. I ‘d pull them out and stare at the pictures. Then I’d arrange them on the floor in groups of six or nine – like tarot cards, like a baseball field or a top six lineup. Imagining shizz.

15. Crazy Pedestrian says:

hunter1909:
    FINAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

Thank you for your wonderful participation.

If it didnt save or something, could you please put me down for 79 points hunter? And the tie-breaker points predictions as follows: 3rd- RNH, 7th- Russell, 8th- Nurse.

Thanks!

16. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Melvis: I used to toss a ball around with a couple of friends in the park when I was a kid. Lazy weekend summer afternoons. Then we’d go over to their house. The moms would haul out a pitcher of fresh, cold lemonade and home made chocolate chip cookies. And they’d haul out a couple of shoeboxes of Topps and O Pee Gee.

They’d spend the time checking out the backs of the cards. I ‘d pull them out and stare at the pictures. Then I’d arrange them on the floor in groups of six ornine –like tarot cards, like a baseball field or a top six lineup. Imagining shizz.

If you won you got your buddy’s cards.

Basically gambling.

We also used to sneak cigarettes from the parents’ packs (everyone smoked in the hood)

Good times.

17. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909 Emergency Death March™ Update for new/returning players:

Tomorrow is the Final Day!!

Emergency Death March™ is a brand new game!

Here’s how You play: simply go to http://www.oilersdeathmarch.com and click ENTER NEW CONTEST

It’s Easy! Free to enter!

More prizes for Emergency Death March winners

18. hunter1909 says:

Melvis: Actually Skype seems rooted in a Dick Tracy wrist device. Pre modern. Pre pre post modern. I’m back to actually talking to people on a phone or meeting them face to face, if possible.

There’s back to the days when Oilers general managers liked to stay in touch, using Skype.

19. hunter1909 says:

Crazy Pedestrian: Don’t know if the emergency death march website is up to date or not, but I don’t see my prediction up there. (I re-entered yesterday)

If it didnt save or something, could you please put me down for 79 points hunter? And the tie-breaker points predictions as follows:3rd- RNH, 7th- Russell, 8th- Nurse.

Thanks!

You’re in. Just checked it myself, personally. Some of our slaves escaped recently, so updating lists has been put on hold until the final names are known tomorrow.

20. Gret99zky says:

Woodguy v2.0: We used to line up the cards against a wall and try to knock them down by whipping other cards at them.

If you won you got your buddy’s cards.

Same.

All my best cards have damaged corners.

Doh.

21. flyfish1168 says:

Tonight I am enjoying a nice cool Rickard’s dark and the phucken phlegms losing.

22. Bank Shot says:

Gret99zky: Same.

All my best cards have damaged corners.

Doh.

I started collecting cards during the hockey card boom that started around the turn of the 90s. I’ve got probably 6 Lidstrom rookies worth about $1.25.

23. Melvis says:

There’s also a pile of those triplicates featuring BB and pellet shot. After stealing the old man’s liquor.

24. OmJo says:

sliderule,

Was Chase a victim of the Bakersfield development “strategy” or just a prototypical 7th round pick?

Was there ever supposed to be a player there?

If Maksimov can change his nationality we are going to have a very good player on our hands. If he can’t, some other team in this league is going to have a very good player on their hands for a 3rd round pick.

25. OmJo says:

hunter1909:

What do modern people do?

Modern people are all introverts, they don’t use anything anymore.

Unless they’re hipster introverts. Then they use FaceTime.

26. OmJo says:

Scungilli Slushy: Every team has deficiencies. Nashville is the strongest team in the west but doesn’t match the Oilers forward talent.

Idk if I’d say that.

Of course we have McDavid and Draisaitl. They don’t.

But we have 5 forwards with more than 30pts this season, two of them being those two.

The Predators have 5 forwards with more than 40pts this season. 7 over 30pts. So for overall depth, while they lack that elite level player, they more than make up with it with solid F depth and an elite backend. And that is why they are playoff bound and we are stuck watching the worst winger depth in the league, maybe even NHL history.

27. JimmyV1965 says:

The more I think about it, the more I think the Oilers should trade RNH. There are a bunch of teams in this league that could desperately use a C. If our GM plays his cards right and creates a bidding war, he could bring in a bunch of assets that exceeds the value of RNH as a player.

These are the teams i think desperately need a C.

Carolina
    Colorado
    Montreal
    St. Louis
    Columbus
    Dallas
    Ottawa

These teams could use a C as well, but might not be in the market or have more pressing needs.

New Jersey
    Islanders (if they lose Tavares)
    Rangers
    Detroit

28. Munny says:

Melvis:

Worst I ever did was take these shotgun shells. They were the paper covered ones not the plastic and when I saw them I’m like when am I ever gonna see these again? I’m keepin a few for prosperity’s sake.

That… did not go over so well.

29. Gret99zky says:

JimmyV1965:

These are the teams i think desperately need a C.

Carolina
    Colorado
    Montreal
    St. Louis
    Columbus
    Dallas
    Ottawa

New Jersey
    Islanders (if they lose Tavares)
    Rangers
    Detroit

Dear God, not Jersey or NYI.

See: History

30. bod says:

leadfarmer,

I like Hall too. Always did but this is ridiculous. He’s been good before but didn’t get a sniff until he moved from Edmonton.

31. Professor Q says:

JimmyV1965:

These are the teams i think desperately need a C.

Carolina
    Colorado
    Montreal
    St. Louis
    Columbus
    Dallas
    Ottawa

New Jersey
    Islanders (if they lose Tavares)
    Rangers
    Detroit

There is one more team that needs a C/W:

Edmonton

32. Bank Shot says:

Wonder how much Mike Green will be offered in the offseason?

Didn’t even get traded at the deadline which is just bizarre. Apparently he was injured but near a return. You would think someone would have offered something for him.

If the Oilers could land him for three years and trade off Russell that would be looking alright. With Green not playing in the playoffs this season there might not be a huge market for him. No cachet.

Unfortunately, after this season, UFAs will probably avoid Edmonton.

Not much out there for UFAs this year at all. Maybe the Oilers could land Comeau or Brodziak. I’d like to see Chiarelli take another shot at a Jussi Jokinen signing or two.

33. sliderule says:

Chase is a strange duck

Had trouble with coaches and teammates .

After his draft plus one season he had a tiff with Calgary coaches was sat for a while and traded.I don’t know whether that continued in minor pro but I suspect it’s one of reasons he is gone as he did have some skill.

I have read Maksimov was born in Canada and has dual citizenship..He played midget hockey in Toronto so I don’t think the Russian stuff is a factor.

Looks like a good player who has coaches trust and that’s important in team sports.

34. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Gret99zky: Same.

All my best cards have damaged corners.

Doh.

My first year collecting was 79/80.

Had 3-4 Gretzky rookie cards (collection ebbed and flowed)

None of them made it out alive.

35. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Bank Shot:
    Wonder how much Mike Green will be offered in the offseason?

Unfortunately, after this season, UFAs will probably avoid Edmonton.

Problem with Green is that these days he really needs to be sheltered 5v5.

Gets killed when not in that spot.

3RD should be a spot for your Benning and Bear types and not a vet.

36. flyfish1168 says:

bod:
    leadfarmer,

No buddy out east stayed up to watch us.

east media > west media

37. OmJo says:

Never collected hockey cards when I was younger. But I remember how crazy Pokemon card collection was. And Yugioh. Kids would have catalogs of that crap, sorted and everything. Used to go around the condo complex my mom lived in when I was younger trading those cards.

Then got a bit older and started causing other trouble instead.

Such innocent times.

I think the first and only hockey card I ever got was in a cereal box lol. Back when companies used to put things inside the boxes. Can’t remember the player. I want to say Mario Lemieux or Alexei Kovalev.

38. OmJo says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Could be play as a winger? 3RW?

bod:
    leadfarmer,

Nobody respects the Oilers.

39. leadfarmer says:

bod:
    leadfarmer,

Cool, but how did you get that out of the Isles have absolutely no interest in contesting zone entries

40. Wilde says:

Almost every time I run a draft lottery sim, one of the bubble playoff teams wins a top 3 pick.

One of the times it was Anaheim.

Imagine.

No, I’m not going to delete this post.

« Older Comments