AHL Game 68: Reign at Condors

Jesse Puljujarvi was the most successful recall this season by the Edmonton Oilers. Fans got to see the big Finn, a surprising 20-year old defender and a veteran winger still trying to break into the show at age 25. It’s not close to where it needs to be but the Condors sent their best to the show.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great offer! Includes a free 7-day trial so you can try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. Offer is here.

CONDORS RECALLS, THE FINAL ROLL

• October 7 recall Anton Slepyshev (50, 6-6-12)
  • October 15 recall Brad Malone (7, 0-0-0)
  • November 10 recall Jesse Puljujarvi (65, 12-8-20)
  • November 29 recall Nick Ellis (did not play)
  • February 10 recall Keegan Lowe (2, 0-0-0)
  • February 24 recall Ty Rattie (15, 5-4-9)
  • February 27 recall Ethan Bear (18, 1-3-4)
  • March 19 recall Dillon Simpson (did not play)

GERRY FLEMING’S GRADUATES

With due respect to Bakersfield fans, Fleming’s job is to develop prospects for the NHL team and through three seasons the list of graduates is impressive. In giving credit to the AHL coaching staff, it’s important to be realistic in evaluating how much influence they have on a specific prospect. We can’t give Fleming credit for Leon Draisiatl (six games) or Darnell Nurse (nine games), but we should be able to establish a reasonable measure of influence. Here are the men who played at least 50 games under Fleming in the AHL and have played at least 25 (10 for goalies) games in the NHL at this time:

• Tyler Pitlick: 51 AHL games, 138 NHL games
  • Anton Slepyshev: 59 AHL games, 102 NHL games
  • Jujhar Khaira: 76 AHL games, 94 NHL games
  • Jesse Puljujarvi: 49 AHL games, 93 NHL games
  • Jordan Oesterle: 153 AHL games, 80 NHL games
  • Brad Hunt: 142 AHL games, 78 NHL games
  • Griffin Reinhart: 84 AHL games, 37 NHL games
  • Laurent Brossoit: 131 AHL games, 28 NHL games

You can only coach the players given, and there wasn’t a lot of talent on this year’s team.  Fleming was an assistant coach for the 2008-09 Springfield Falcons. It had more prospects than this year’s Condors. That team featured Devan Dubnyk, Rob Schremp, Ryan Potulny, Ryan Stone, Slava Trukhno, J-F Jacques, Gilbert Brule, Colin McDonald, Taylor Chorney, Theo Peckham, Ryan O’Marra, Liam Reddox. That is 12, only Devan Dubnyk made it in a big way. I think Jesse Puljujarvi will have a handsome career in the NHL, but after that there are no sure things.

I think we can give credit to Fleming for Jujhar Khaira, and Peter Chiarelli said Jesse Puljujarvi was improved after returning from California. I think that’s fair. Anton Slepyshev performed as well for Fleming (per 82 AHL games, Sleppy is 22-19-43) as he did in the NHL (now 102, 10-13-23). I think Ethan Bear (not listed) is also a player who flourished under Fleming. The other thing you can say about Fleming’s callups is they seem to hit the ice ready to perform. Khaira to Rattie these guys help. Puljujarvi was fire on ice when he arrived.

Assistant coaching candidates

My favorite candidate: Rocky Thompson. Smart and with a growing resume, I think he would be a good addition. Met him years ago, he was wicked smart and I expect that remains true. Bright people, good ideas. They never go out of style. Todd Nelson we all like, I liked Craig Ramsay and Billy Moores (he’s probably the smartest of the bunch).

I think Craig MacTavish would be a brilliant assistant coach. I don’t know if he is wired to do it and you would have to threaten him with violence if he tried to take over the power play, but man that guy is smart. I also like Charlie Huddy as an option but he isn’t coming back.

Trent Yawney worked on McLellan’s staff in San Jose, I’ve read good things about him.

Stuart Skinner is sporting a .931 save percentage in the WHL playoffs, trailing only Carter Hart among regulars. He was .914 during the regular season for Swift Current (after coming over from Lethbridge) and continues to build his resume as the best goalie in the system. I’ll speak to Shawn Mullin about Skinner (and the series) on Saturday Sports Extra at 3:05 today.

ALEXANDER HAIG

• Elliotte Friedman to Bob Stauffer via 630 CHED: “Like if he says, ‘I want to do this trade,’ can he just do it. Every GM – and he’s the president of hockey ops too – everybody has a boss, right. But I do wonder if there’s anything been done to say, ‘Before you do this, we need to run it through some people.’ Source

This is nuts. If this is true, then this will end in absolute disaster. I don’t believe in this kind of thing and if the Oilers management have this arrangement they’ll deserve their fate. If you don’t believe in the general manager, you can fire him today, with cause. This is the simplest business move in the book. However, if you bring the man back then at least give him all of the tools required to make things happen. We don’t know what we don’t know, but to my mind this is just strange enough to be true. What a way to run a railroad.

314 Responses to "AHL Game 68: Reign at Condors"

« Older Comments
  1. Woodguy v2.0 says:

VOR: I loved your explanation of why you need result data. Brilliant.

For years I, like you ground d-man data. But nothing produced consistent results except as you say the same few names kept showing up at the bottom of each analysis. And of course that one name that kept showing up in first place. Zeno Chara. I remember year after year he’d be #1 in relative metrics and the rest of the top ten would change completely.

Thanks Vor, that means a lot.

Chara is *still* near the top at 40. Crazy.

Modern day Larry Robinson.

So good for so long at every aspect of the game.

2. VOR says:

Bryan:
    VOR,

I’ll take Ken Linesman off the retired list

3. hunter1909 says:

Ryan Smyth would have made a great Bruin.

hunter1909:
    Ryan Smyth would have made a great Bruin.

Made a better Oiler.

5. who says:

Confused:
    who,

So we are just ignoring Winniepags cap, how are they fixing it?

Teams pay for a 4M plus cap dump, not receive assets.

I’m not ignoring their cap situation. I am agreeing with you that they might be willing to trade Myers because of it. I just don’t see why they would want Russell.
    And Myers still has positive value despite what Woodguy’s data? says. It’s not like a Lucic situation where they have to add assets to trade him.

6. Confused says:

Rattie, 800, good stuff.

7. JimmyV1965 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    7 out of Grabner’s 25 goals were empty net.

A hard no to Grabner for me as he’s going to get paid as a top 6 guy (and that’s where he’d be slotted in our lineup) whereas he’s really a middle 6 guy.

I guess those empty net goals show he’s trusted in the last minutes protecting a lead but, at the same time, his goal scoring prowess is, in my opinion, inflated.

If he can be acquired for less than $3M and no more than 3 years then, sure, but that doesn’t seem likely.

8. Confused says:

who,

Yes, you ignore the cap everytime I mention it.

So Myers and Enstrom out 7, and you need no D coming back? Or keeping Enstrom?

Who is taking Myers at 5.5M with no return?

9. OriginalPouzar says:

I really want to buy the Condors game and watch all the young pros (Vesel, Marody, Safin, Benson, Samorukov) but, with an 8pm start, who the hell can stay up until close to 11?

10. Wayne Kenov says:

VOR: Another great guess. Boy have there ever been a lot of great little psychopaths in hockey’s long history. Both guys I was thinking of are, like Linesman, biters.

Luis Suarez? Mike Tyson?

11. OriginalPouzar says:

JimmyV1965: I went to a Devils blog and asked; “If you had to choose between the two, would you rather keep Maroon or Grabner?” I only got about 10 responses, but only one of them chose Grabner. Lots of positive comments about the big rig. Lots of negatives about Grabner.

No really surprising since Grabner’s offense has fallen off a cliff since the deadline – 5 points in 21 regular season games compared to 13 in 17 for the Big Rig.

No surprise the Big Rig is stepping it up down the stretch – he’s a solid player and a good playoff guy.

I make that trade again though – we couldn’t afford to bring Maroon back and, with our prospect pool, a trade was a must. Dudek means very little to me but I really like Marody – I watched 3 Michigan games after the trade and he was an all-situations guy trusted by his coach with some skill.

He may never make it but he’s a real prospect and has had early success in the AHL (something a guy like Joe G. never had early).

12. OriginalPouzar says:

On that note, here is hoping Vesel gets inked to an ELC shortly after the Barons season winds down tonight.

13. VOR says:

Woodguy v2.0: Fleury was the old one.

Sobatka, Paul Byron, Blake Coleman

In fairness my pick for a modern version is a bit obscure and somewhat younger than your suggestions.

A clue for each player:

Modern player has been timed coming back on defence – producing a faster time than Connor McDavid at the All Star game. Floats on offence but God does he come back hard on the back check. He has ever growing side burns having recently added the title career killer to his resume. In his latest assault on another player he “accidentally” got tangled up with another team’s goon, then “accidentally ” stepped on him.

14. Wayne Kenov says:

VOR: Fleury is yet another incredibly fast, incredibly aggravating, really dirty mega talent in a tiny body.

A clue for each player:

Now I’m thinking the Rocket, but he wasn’t that small for the time period.

15. Woodguy v2.0 says:

BOS up 4-0 after one.

If you’re ever going to ask LT for a favour, now is the time.

He’s probably very agreeable and not near sober.

16. Munny says:

Wayne Kenov,

Lach was the center on the Punch Line and reputedly a real asshole to play against. At one point I think he might’ve been the NHL’s all-time points leader.

17. VOR says:

In fact think about this, would a modern Theo Fleury be enough to turn the Oilers’ fortunes around?

18. Wayne Kenov says:

Munny:
    Wayne Kenov,

Lach was the center on the Punch Line and reputedly a real asshole to play against.At one point I think he might’ve been the NHL’s all-time points leader.

Yeah, but I thought we said it wasn’t him.

19. Confused says:

Coffey talk starts at the Bake in 10 mins, LOL

20. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy v2.0,

If we could just get Bruins GM

Doh!!

21. Woodguy v2.0 says:

A clue for each player:

Larkin?

I was going to guess his earlier but he’d cost more than a bag of pucks

22. who says:

Confused:
    who,

Yes, you ignore the cap everytime I mention it.

So Myers and Enstrom out 7, and you need no D coming back? Or keeping Enstrom?

Who is taking Myers at 5.5M with no return?

I don’t think I’m ignoring the cap.
    I said if Edmonton took on Myers salary they would have to trade Sekera or Russell to someone else which would require them to waive their NMC. In your Russell for Myers scenario Russell would have to waive as well.
    In Winnipegs case I doubt they resign Enstrom so he is gone. If they have cap issues next year and they trade Myers this summer they will not want to take much salary back. And they certainly don’t want to take salary back in a position of depth. Otherwise why trade him at all.
    You brought up the Myers trade, and its a very interesting scenario. It also makes for an interesting discussion. But you seem pissed at me. Why?

23. VOR says:

Okay, Lach and the Old Timer I am looking for are both on the list of 100 greatest players of all time.

And the clue that should make it obvious.

Bill Russell.

24. Wayne Kenov says:

Ted Lindsay?

25. VOR says:

Woodguy v2.0: Larkin?

I was going to guess his earlier but he’d cost more than a bag of pucks

Larkin shares some things in common with the young man I think could forever change the Oilers. Some really important things.

26. Munny says:

Wayne Kenov: Yeah, but I thought we said it wasn’t him.

True, but he was the asshole on the line, and Rocket the McDavid. Can’t see it being Richard. Never played 4th line, nor C, nor as you say little.

27. VOR says:

Wayne Kenov:
    Ted Lindsay?

Another venomous, hard as nails superstar. Just the wrong one.

28. Confused says:

who,

I never get pissed, we had a nice discussion. But apart from changing tone, I have no mechanism to try to refocus you when wandered off onto Benning. Your segway seemed illogical to me.

Sorry if I sounded angry, just trying to chat about my favourite team and understand hockey better.

29. Pescador says:

VOR:

Theo was an unreal scorer until he landed on Broadway

30. Moncton Mounties says:

Woodguy v2.0: Old timer was the youngest of giant family. I think there were 13 of them. He holds one of the most incredible and enduring records in sport. He attributed it and his belligerent attitude to having 12 older siblings picking on him. It made him an unbelevably competitive and vicious opponent. He his famous for “accidentally” tripping players and then “accidentally” stepping (or jumping) on them.

I have to go with Ted Lindsay. But for the longest time I was picking a Sutter.

Modern guy is still a bit of a mystery, but I’m working on it. Excellent trivia Vor, thanks.

31. Woodguy v2.0 says:

VOR:

He’d help a lot.

We don’t have the metrics for his era, but you’d have to think that Fleury was a major driver of GF%

32. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Willie O’Ree
    5’10
    Youngest of 13.
    Never huge PIMS, but a goodish amount

33. VOR says:

Woodguy v2.0: He’d help a lot.

34. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Vatrano, Leipsic or Dano

35. Woodguy v2.0 says:

VOR: My memory of watching him play in Calgary was that there were games he would take over and win by himself. Simply because he wanted it more. There was no quit in him.

Always skating, always harassing the puck carrier, always dangerous.

36. who says:

Confused:
    who,

No need to apologize. I am enjoying the discussion. I think we both agree on acquiring Myers. We just don’t agree on how.
    I don’t see Winnipeg wanting Russell and I am guessing you have a higher opinion of Benning than I do and therefore are against trading him.

37. Professor Q says:

VOR:

And the clue that should make it obvious.

Bill Russell.

Arguably *the* best, vs. Jordan, Abdul-Jabbar, Bryant, and King James, in the sense that Howe/Orr/Henri Richard could be considered the best vs. Gretzky, Lemiuex, Crosby, and McDavid.

Certainly in terms of Championships he lines up with Henri Richard.

38. VOR says:

The interesting thing is many of you are simply missing the old time player.

Tiny.
    He started his career as a 4C
    Could skate like the wind.
    He was an astounding penalty killer.
    He was a tremendous face off man.
    He turned out to be a major psycho.
    He took on an entire team, actually the toughest team in hockey.
    It took four ambulances to take his victims to hospital.
    Youngest child in monster family.
    Holds one of the most impressive and enduring records in sports.
    One of the top 100 players of all time.
    Bill Russell.

I think it would be obvious.

39. who says:

Woodguy v2.0:
    Vatrano, Leipsic or Dano

Leipsic would be a very good, low risk, low cost acquisition.

40. who says:

VOR:
    The interesting thing is many of you are simply missing the old time player.

Tiny.
    He started his career as a 4C
    Could skate like the wind.
    He was an astounding penalty killer.
    He was a tremendous face off man.
    He turned out to be a major psycho.
    He took on an entire team, actually the toughest team in hockey.
    It took four ambulances to take his victims to hospital.
    Youngest child in monster family.
    Holds one of the most impressive and enduring records in sports.
    One of the top 100 players of all time.
    Bill Russell.

I think it would be obvious.

For God’s sake. Tell us who this legend is.

41. Woodguy v2.0 says:

Well Russell has 11 rings and so does Henri Richard, but he “only” had 7 brothers and sisters.

42. Munny says:

Henri Richard. Bill Russell gave it to me.

43. VOR says:

Professor Q: Arguably *the* best, vs. Jordan, Abdul-Jabbar, Bryant, and King James, in the sense that Howe/Orr/Henri Richard could be considered the best vs. Gretzky, Lemiuex, Crosby, ans McDavid.

Certainly in terms of Championships he lines up with Henri Richard.

Henri Richard single handed beat the crap out of the Boston Bruins. It is still known as The Night The Gardens Ran Red With Blood.

He was a tremendous and effortless skater and a lethal, incredibly dirty player. Arguably hockey’s greatest agitator though Terrible Ted would be in the running.

The youngest Richard.

He started with the Canadians the year after Lach retired.

In his early career he did the heavy lifting on the penalty kill and took an incredible number of D Zone draws. But even in the early days he had a remarkable amount of offence for a 4C.

44. Munny says:

Woodguy v2.0,

Damn you! lol

45. Munny says:

Professor Q: Certainly in terms of Championships he lines up with Henri Richard.

And you too! 😉

Woodguy v2.0:
    BOS up 4-0 after one.

If you’re ever going to ask LT for a favour, now is the time.

He’s probably very agreeable and not near sober.

This is true.

47. Harpers Hair says:

who: Leipsic would be a very good, low risk, low cost acquisition.

48. who says:

VOR: Henri Richard and Bill Russell share a record of 11 Championship titles the most in pro sport.

The youngest Richard.

He started with the Canadians the year after Lach retired.

Wow. I didn’t know he was that viscious. Probably cause I only remember him with grey hair. And scoring from center ice on Tony Esposito in 73 finals.
    Maybe I missed it but who is the current psycho?

49. Munny says:

VOR,

So who is the modern day Pocket Rocket?

50. VOR says:

My apologies. I was going from an interview Henri gave Le Devoir about why he was so competitive after his retirement and I have said my French is atrocious. He just says 13 kids in the house not specifically siblings. And that he was the youngest and picked on. His and Maurice’s bio makes clear he had far fewer siblings than that. Should have used two sources.

51. who says:

Harpers Hair: Has another year on his contract with Vancouver at $650k and scored 9 points in 13 games for them. Why would they give him up?

If they are smart they won’t.
    But he has been passed around a bit. Makes me wonder what Chia was doing when Vegas made him available. It’s not like he would be blocked in Edmonton.

52. Professor Q says:

VOR,

I don’t think I’ve heard of the others. Oldest Maurice and Youngest Henri, each reaching great success, yet not much for the Middlings?

53. Woodguy v2.0 says:

VOR:

Now cough up the current player please.

54. Harpers Hair says:

who: If they are smart they won’t.

Don’t think would unless they got a high draft pick in return. He was blocked in Vegas and VCR took advantage.

55. Moncton Mounties says:

Ok, going to guess Rocco Grimaldi for the modern player. He’s tiny, a center, fast, scores well in AHL. They say he’s scrappy, but his PIM don’t show a tough guy who fights dirty…

56. Confused says:

So at the risk of upsetting everyone …
    Someone at this site, VOR I am guessing, pointed me at a M.Sc at the University of Ottawa which argues that hockey is only 62% predictable. I analyzed the thesis carefully, the analysis is rather debatable in many places, but let us assume he is correct.
    WG, via much analysis and experience, seems to quote 60-something as well, if I am not mistaken. WG many apologises if I am mis-inferring.
    So assuming 62, noise or randomness is 38%. So given such a signal to noise ratio, what facts do people believe are numerically stable and meaningful over a season? Or when do we just measure things which are possible without being meaningful.
    Sorry if this seems boring, but I think it is really interesting.

57. Harpers Hair says:

who: If they are smart they won’t.

Markus Granlund and Sven Baertschi may be available. Both could help the Oilers.

58. Confused says:

Legs scored. Anyone know if he is playing O or D tonight?

Ooops, assist thanks LT.

Gambardella from Laleggia, 1-0 after one.

60. Pescador says:

Woodguy v2.0: Now cough up the current player please.

I don’t even want to know anymore,
    Haha

61. OriginalPouzar says:

Confused:
    Legs scored. Anyone know if he is playing O or D tonight?

Ooops, assist thanks LT.

He’s paired with Samorukov on the back-end.

62. Pescador says:

Harpers Hair: Sven Baertschi may be available. Both could help the Oilers.

Meh,
    We already have Ryan Strome
    Granlund is a beauty tho

63. OriginalPouzar says:

Samorukov/LaLeggia
    Lowe/Bear
    Jones/Day

Benson/Currie/O’Brien
    Gust/Marody/Vesel
    Christoffer/Joe G./ Russell
    Polie/Larkin/Safin

64. OriginalPouzar says:

Stuart Skinner finally gives up a goal, nearing the end of the second period, Broncos up 2-1.

65. Confused says:

OriginalPouzar,

Thanks. Nice to see so many prospects.

66. OriginalPouzar says:

Probably LaLeggia’s last game in the organization.

67. VOR says:

Let me try the modern psycho again with a focus on small details. From two sources.

He is slightly shorter and slighter than Ryan Nugent Hopkins.

At time of draft (and yes he was drafted quite high) he was described as a powerful skater with tremendous explosion. He was also described as having an exceedingly high hockey IQ and being defence first. The knock was an already clearly well developed tendency to go off the deep end as one scout put it. Others just called a spade a spade and said he was dirty, really dirty.

Watching film of this kid is like watching early Glenn Anderson. He goes into a corner digs the puck out and often succeeds in committing several fouls on the same play. None of which get called. He agitates while flying around the ice with a big grin. He goes hard to the net and likes to run the goal tender. He is either really clumsy or he is uniquely vicious. Maybe a bit of both. He draws a large number of penalties. His own infractions go largely unnoticed.

The player he is most commonly compared to is Jacques Lemaire. He comes back on D like a man possessed and provides astonishingly strong puck support. He is great on draws, especially in his own end and a relentless penalty killer.

So post draft he comes to the NHL, in brief stint shows he has real talent then concludes he isn’t ready yet and essentially forces his team to “loan” him to his home town pro team.

Post draft pro scouts realize:

A) he has gotten faster, from strong to elite on offence and from elite to “never seen anything like it” on defence
    B) he has added tremendous lateral movement to his skating arsenal
    C) he has gotten even more committed to defence
    D) he has gotten even dirtier and far better at not getting caught
    E) several sources say at a team practice he snapped when a teammate ran him – giving up five years, four inches, and fifty pounds he beat the crap out of the guy and then nearly eviscerated a teammate who stopped him from jumping up and down on his supine opponent
    F) in his home land press have wondered in print if he is Sean Avery though the evidence appears thin
    G) criticism is muted because he is a star, perhaps a superstar on the international stage
    H) he is gaining a reputation for being difficult to coach and impossible to negotiate with
    I) his club team has him playing with two vets who are considered very hard men, they have taught him a large number of new dirty tricks

He would be in the NHL right now except he doesn’t want to be. I am sure given how many “best player not in NHL” lists he appears on some of you will quickly identify him. Just most casual fans wouldn’t think of him as vicious. But I have watched a number of his games and get what the scouts are saying.

His reputation for being difficult and his refusal to return to the NHL have certainly made the team that drafted him wonder if he has the right stuff. So he is probably available for less than we’d think reasonable value.

When you think about it the kid by all reports is truly a phenomenal skater who plays defence at an elite level and with a passion almost unheard of in today’s game. He excels against the world’s best. And he is going to get under a lot of opponents’ skins. I can’t believe any Coach, GM, or Owner wouldn’t bend over backwards to accommodate his eccentricities. But hockey is funny that way. Many teams like their players submissive, docile, and malleable. This kid is none of the above.

68. Confused says:

OriginalPouzar,

No chance, he could become our Burns?

69. OriginalPouzar says:

Vesel and Marody assist on a Gust goal!

Bakersfield Condors

Verified account

@Condors
    2m2 minutes ago
    CONDORS GOAL!!!! Gust pinballs one in after a great Marody play. 2-0, 4 min. in. #Condors20

70. OriginalPouzar says:

Confused:
    OriginalPouzar,

No chance, he could become our Burns?

He’s a group IV UFA – quite certain he will be moving on.

71. VOR says:

If that doesn’t make it obvious I will give the answer in a few minutes.

72. Scungilli Slushy says:

VOR:
    If that doesn’t make it obvious I will give the answer in a few minutes.

I knew it was Omark!

73. Wayne Kenov says:

I’m thinking Sam Bennett, but hockeydb has him at bigger than I thought he was (6’1, 200), so I’ll keep looking.

74. N64 says:

OriginalPouzar: He’s a group IV UFA – quite certain he will be moving on.

group VI UFA? (group IV would be “defector” RFA)

75. Confused says:

VOR,

So is this about who he is or how many people you can get to Google:-)

Great tease.

(No idea if he is real, and not Googling that would be cheating.)

76. digger50 says:

Was he drafted by LA?

77. Pescador says:

VOR:
    If that doesn’t make it obvious I will give the answer in a few minutes.

Gilbert Brule
    I knew it all along

78. OriginalPouzar says:

N64: group VI UFA? (group IV would be “defector” RFA)

Yes, Group 6 UFA – he’s over 25, player 3 years pro and has not played 80 NHL games so he becomes a UFA not an RFA.

Same as Pitlick and Osterle last year.

He’ll likely move on.

Even if he was an RFA, I’m not so sure he’d be qualified.

I don’t see an NHL player here.

79. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

VOR:
    If that doesn’t make it obvious I will give the answer in a few minutes.

– gusev but he’s never played in nhl. Some euro buddies of mine say he’s awesome. So the la guy that got kicked out? Voynov then?

80. OriginalPouzar says:

Now Joey L. scores, of course.

Bear has two assists through 2.

81. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– or Nesterov?

82. Wayne Kenov says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – gusev but he’s never played in nhl. Some euro buddies of mine say he’s awesome. So the la guy that got kicked out?Voynov then?

I was looking at Gusev, but 7th round isn’t very high. I honestly have no idea.

83. Wayne Kenov says:

Kiril Kaprizov? I have no clue.

84. Bos8 says:

So, what’s the latest? Is Marody a great skater or not? I’ve read conflicting reports.

85. Wayne Kenov says:

Necas is the only other guess that makes any sense. It’s the fighting things thats hard to find.

86. Confused says:

So since we are experimental subjects, are we supposed to spot LT deleted the Googling post?

87. VOR says:

Let me try one final time. The young man came to camp looked very good in small sample and went “I am not ready for this”. He is not small but rail thin. He had a language barrier, culture shock and was home sick. He said “I’m going home make it happen”.

Has he torn it up playing against grown men back home? No. He has been good and is still very very young. In fairness his line mates are more anchors than zoomers. But he has been electric on the world stage.

So young, smallish, fast, defensively gifted, defensively obsessed center that plays in a men’s pro league in a foreign country and was drafted well up in the draft. Oh and dirty as hell and with the same step in and drive the net move that made Anderson famous. And the same vicious stick work in the corners.

So final clue, this player’s refusal to stay in North America may have been a big part of why a GM got fired, pardon me, promoted out of his job.

What you will find is, as was the case with Henri Richard and for that matter Anderson that the young man isn’t thought of as terribly dirty. Except by all the other teams in the league. And their fans. And their media. At home he is thought of and promoted as an emerging offensive dynamo that thinks the game at a high level and has defensive skills far beyond his years. A choir boy, a saint, a victim. To hear them tell it he’s Pavel Datyzuk. Then again according to Edmonton media Anderson was just a lovable space cadet. Tell that to Billy Smith.

88. Jethro Tull says:

If it’s Ho Sang, you can go nail jello to a wall.

89. Wilde says:

VOR:

Jethro Tull:
    If it’s Ho Sang, you can go nail jello to a wall.

what

90. oilersfan says:

Tkachev, right Vor?

Please let us know why he will be great/..

Do the oilers have his rights?

I didn’t know he was dirty

91. Confused says:

Crowdsourcing it’s a real thing.

Let us say we can frame a closed question, limited number of options where the correct answer is one of the options.

LT rents out the site, how many readers need to answer the question before we are probabilistically more likely to reach a better answer than Oilers management?

No, the answer is not one.

92. VOR says:

Wayne,

Necas is right. You have to watch film and read the away coverage to get the dirty, psycho thing. It was a Carolina scout who pointed it out to me. Once you are looking for it there is no question the kid plays with edge.

I will try to translate some of the very blunt profiles that have appeared in Czech media and post them tomorrow. They make him sound both interesting and a possibly a little unhinged. But then Anderson once told the media maybe he really was from outer space.

As you will see Necas talks very openly about bailing on the Hurricanes and his belief that you have to take possession of the ice around you and own it and if another player enters that space anything that happens to him is his fault.

93. Confused says:

Come on OP the game finished a minute ago, what is the final score?

94. VOR says:

For now I have to go pick up my wife. She is supporting the arts tonight. Five hour long plays are my idea of hell so I chose to blog instead.

Good night.

95. Wilde says:

I thought it was super weird Necas didn’t make the Canes big club from our preseason games against them. He looked ridculously good on a team without many potent scoring forwards

96. Confused says:

End of season have a great summer everyone.

97. Pescador says:

VOR,

I don’t believe that Wayne is his actual name,
    just a guess

98. Wayne Kenov says:

Pescador:
    VOR,

I don’t believe that Wayne is his actual name,
    just a guess

99. Wilde says:

I’m pretty sure this Ducks team is like the 20th-25th best team in the league in terms of skaters and they’re buoyed by having a top 3(1?) goaltender and the competitive advantage derived from the officiating crew’s perception of Corey Perry’s emotional fragility

100. digger50 says:

Ducks lose.

Perry being a jack ass finally costs them

101. Pescador says:

Wayne Kenov: Some people have silly names. It’s my parents fault. You’re just jealous you didn’t get it.

Not really,
    My real name is Pat Cox

102. digger50 says:

Lots of hitting in the Ducks/Sharks game.

Sharks d were up to it. Oilers d last year took a beating. If they do add a d man this summer I hope he has some size.

so the Oil are accused of being slow, pursuing heavy hockey as the league went for speed.
    Did the Oilers ever really achieve heavy hockey? I didn’t see it.

They had a few heavy players who could fight and lay some hits, but that wasn’t a big help. Puck battles were still lost. Aggressive style was riegned in for those
    few “heavy” players. (Tmac said no response was exactly what he wanted to see)

Who else played heavy hockey? Larson? Drake? The list is short. Point being if they were focused on heavy hockey they also failed at this objective.

103. digger50 says:

So we are getting Necas?

104. Wilde says:

digger50,

The Oilers in game 1/2/3 vs the Sharks were absolutely filthy and very much the meaning of heavy hockey.

Unfortunately they got penalties called on it because they were the new kids on the block and that was the end of that.

105. Wayne Kenov says:

Pescador: Not really,
    My real name is Pat Cox

I thought you first name was Hubert. Or am I thinking of someone else Mr. Jassole?

106. oilersfan says:

Vor

Necas won’t be cheap. Will probably cost either Yamamoto or this years first.

Unless you know some other negatives the other gm’s would
    Be focusing on

107. Wilde says:

oilersfan:
    Vor

Necas won’t be cheap. Will probably cost either Yamamoto or this years first.

Unless you know some other negatives the other gm’s would
    Be focusing on

Depending on who’s left at Edmonton’s pick, I’d do our 2018 1st for Necas.

In a parallel universe where we weren’t already trying our best to botch the development of the 19 year old ESL bluechipper we already have.

108. who says:

VOR:
    Wayne,

I wonder why you think he would be available and at a reasonable cost? This kid stood out with Carolina in the pre season. I have difficulty believing they would move him.
    I would trade Yamamoto or the 2019 first for him today. Right shot center if I recall correctly.

109. Ribs says:

digger50:
    So we are getting Necas?

I think it should now be a priority. Vor has me convinced. Get him. 🙂

110. Ribs says:

Hat tip to the GM for getting the Rattie signing done quickly. It’s likely a nothing signing but it’s nice to see they might actually be on top of things this summer. Keep it going! Nurse bridge deal tomorrow(or whenever that is possible)! Next!

111. OriginalPouzar says:

Vesel adds a goal (his second point of the game) from Benson.

Great final game for lots of the kids.

Sign Vesel.

112. OriginalPouzar says:

Broncos lose in tripple OT – 35 save for Skinner.

Game 7 in Moose Jaw on Monday night.

113. OriginalPouzar says:

Bos8:
    So, what’s the latest?Is Marody a great skater or not?I’ve read conflicting reports.

I’ve watched him play a few times since the trade, his skating is just fine – he’s not a crazy burner or anything but has solid speed.

114. OriginalPouzar says:

Confused:
    Come on OP the game finished a minute ago, what is the final score?

Given the game started at a perverse time of 8pm, I had to go to bed prior to its conclusion.

I’ll try and do better next season.

« Older Comments