Pet Sounds

Yesterday we made the ‘summer needs’ list and found the Oilers need to acquire a puck mover (left or right), a winger (or two), a backup goaltender, and to increase the footprint of the ’94s (which may involve acquiring more ’94s). It’s a fairly substantial list. Question: Who’s leaving via trade in order to get these things done?

THE ATHLETIC!

Great playoff special! Try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. Offer is here.

• New Lowetide: Nuge finds a sweet spot in the heart of the order.
  • Lowetide: Milan Lucic at a crossroads after disastrous season.
  • Jonathan Willis: The problem was never Ryan Strome, it was Oilers’ expectations.
  • Justin Bourne: What the other 30 GM’s can learn from Vegas Golden Knights.
  • Lowetide: Connor McDavid’s outstanding 2017-18 season.
  • Lowetide: Oilers summer to-do list short and sweet.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and Russia: A draft tragedy.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and the Republic of Finland
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and Sweden.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and the QMJHL.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018Oilers and the WHL.
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: Oilers draft history and the OHL
  • Lowetide: Draft 2018: The Oilers and the NCAA.

POSSIBLE ASSETS OUT

1. No. 9 overall pick. Peter Chiarelli specifically mentioned he would be willing to trade the pick (unless the team wins the lottery) in answer to a Jim Matheson question at the exit interview. I’m not sure what the value of a No. 9 pick would be, but in recent seasons a pick in this area was the cornerstone for deals that fetched Dougie Hamilton and Travis Hamonic.
  2. Andrej Sekera buyout/trade. Edmonton would save $3.89 million toward next year’s cap and that’s a big deal. I’m not recommending it (or trading the pick) but it does give the team room to wheel.
  3. Oscar Klefbom. His surgery may mean he stays, but if I’m another NHL team and Edmonton comes calling, Klefbom is near the top of my list. That’s a great contract.
  4. Matt Benning. I’m a fan of this player (he closed well) but included him because he’s probably going to attract interest. Benning and No. 9 might get you a really good puck mover.
  5. 2019 first-round pick. If this season crashes, PC won’t be here to make the pick anyway.
  6. Ryan Strome. I imagine Edmonton will sign him to a deal around $3 million, but there might be a team looking for a RH center and offer extra value or cap relief.
  7. Zack Kassian. Jon Willis suggested this a few weeks ago, makes sense and would mean the fourth line goes from very expensive (Letestu-Kassian) to possibly $3 million or so for the trio. Not certain of Kassian’s value.
  8. Anton Slepyshev. Uncertain value, I have him on the list because he is among the most likely to be playing in a new city this fall.
  9. Jesse Puljujarvi. I don’t believe Chiarelli will trade the player but have him on the list because it’s possible. JP’s potential far outweighs his current trade value.

A Sekera buyout has all kinds of negatives (you’d be spending cap on buyouts for the next six seasons) but desperate times call for desperate measures. Here’s a look at what the roster would look like, $80 million cap, with the “acquisitions” placed instead of available options.

Edmonton could sign Jhonas Enroth or Pavel Francouz out of the KHL as a backup, Derek Ryan from Carolina (Bob mentions it often, don’t know if Bill Peters to Carolina impacts). Let’s say that takes $3.5 million worth of cap. That leaves $8.4 for the two feature adds, a defenseman and a scoring winger (plus you need a cushion). Trading a healthy Sekera is a sin against hockey, but we’re not sure about his future and money’s tighter than a drum. It’s an option, and Peter Chiarelli has shown a willingness to use that option.

MCLELLAN

Sounds like Bill Peters is off to Calgary, or at least there is a strong rumor of same. Still no word on Todd McLellan, but as the days go down and nothing is announced, we can assume his return is more likely. A quick exit for one of the established teams might have indicated change, Bob was muttering about Anaheim yesterday and my heart soared at the thought of Trent Yawney being available. Well, maybe “my heart soared” is a little over the top, but I’d like to see Yawney here. Montour too, please and thanks.

STUART SKINNER

Oilers haven’t signed him yet but you would think that’s going to happen in the coming weeks. He is flourishing in front of a solid WHL team after some years in front of a chaotic one. Early days, but good arrows with this Skinner chap.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fun Friday and a busy one. At 10 this morning, TSN1260, scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, BigMouthSports. Leafs in trouble, Jays on fire, Bob Cole cooling his jets.
  • Matt Iwanyk, TSN1260. NFL draft beckons, should Oil go hunting for John Carlson or similar?
  • Paul Almeida, SSE. We’ll discuss the Oilers’ summer and holes that need to be filled.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. Big playoff weekend for NHL teams. Leafs could be out, Jets could be moving on.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

149 Responses to "Pet Sounds"

1. OriginalPouzar says:

Excited to see Skinner in the 3rd round against his former team.

On paper, this is a much easier match-up for the Broncos than they had in the first two rounds but that’s on paper.

Hopefully Skinner and the Broncos can advance and give Skinner the chance to out-duel Cart Hart in the WHL Finals (presumably Everett advances).

2. OriginalPouzar says:

Valeno in the lineup for Canada today.

Valeno, Merkley, Ty Smith, etc.

3. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m not positive they will sign Skinner this off-season (although they might).

Although he’s eligible to turn pro and head to the minor leagues next year, we have a bit of a logjam (even if they do move on from Brossoit) and I’m not sure where all the goalies will play.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s back in the W next year.

Would his contract slide in the W as an over-ager?

4. AshetonisGod says:

Wouldn’t it be nice if Chia was smarter?
    Then we wouldn’t have to wait so long
    And wouldn’t it be nice with Connor and Taylor together
    In the kind of world where we belong
    You know it’s gonna make it that much better
    When we can raise the Cup together
    Wouldn’t it be nice if we could wake up
    In the morning when the season is new?
    And after having spent the year together
    Hold the Stanley Cup the whole night through
    Wouldn’t it be nice ….

5. leadfarmer says:

Put me down as predicting 1st and Russell for Brodie. We get that puck mover and pp qb playing on his off side. I just dont see any other puck mover being available. Dumba we waited too long now he is too expensive. Montour would be amazing but given what the ducks lost to keep him they wont move him unless its for JP (They need youth and speed in their forward ranks)
    And yes Brodie had stats as bad as Hamonic had before he got traded. Thats why hes available.
    No GM preaches patience when he is heading to the gallows although in my view rebuilding for next 3 years should be the move

6. jtblack says:

DRAFT TARGET.

LT: You like skill.
    I am wondering what some of your sources think of Luka Burzan. Central Scouting has him at #91.

He was buried on a deep Moose Jaw team. Traded to Brandon and numbers spiked up. 21 Points in last 30 gms. 7 pts in 11 playoff games.

He’s very skilled. Could fall to Round 4. I think EDM should pay attention.

7. who says:

leadfarmer:
    Put me down as predicting 1st and Russell for Brodie.We get that puck mover and pp qb playing on his off side.I just dont see any other puck mover being available.Dumba we waited too long now he is too expensive.Montour would be amazing but given what the ducks lost to keep him they wont move him unless its for JP (They need youth and speed in their forward ranks)
    And yes Brodie had stats as bad as Hamonic had before he got traded.Thats why hes available.

Would you make that trade? Or is that just a prediction?
    Huge overpay in my opinion. Russell alone or with a small add should get it done.

8. flyfish1168 says:

leadfarmer:

If you talk to many phlegm fans and see some of there blogs they are very down on Brodie. I do believe a change in scenery would be good for him. But a 1st and russell would be a major overpayment.

9. Woogie63 says:

If we can agree the Oilers’ centers are McDavid, Draisaitl, Strome, Khaira then last year the Oiler wingers (Including Maroon) scored 99 goals.

IF next year the team gets 95 goals from this group

RNH 30 goals
    Lucic 20 goals
    Puljajarvi 25 goals
    Rattie 20 goals

it solves a lot of the secondary scoring concerns

Woogie63:

IF next year the team gets 95 goals from this group

RNH 30 goals
    Lucic 20 goals
    Puljajarvi 25 goals
    Rattie 20 goals

it solves a lot of the secondary scoring concerns

The “winger” Kool-Aid you are drinking must have some interesting ingredients.

11. Cassandra says:

who: Would you make that trade? Or is that just a prediction?

It would be, indeed, an awful trade. Given our general manager’s track record, just awful enough to be believable.

12. Doug McLachlan says:

I understand that Calgary is interested in moving Brodie but what is the appeal for Edmonton?

He has had only one season where he crests 10 goals and that was four years ago. He is defensively suspect and shoots left.

I can, as I’ve stated before, see them interested in acquiring Russell and, unlike many other destinations, I could see Russell waiving his no-move to return to Calgary, but not sure this is the fit.

13. leadfarmer says:

who,

Prediction. Probably only place Russell would waive to. They want a first round pick. Chia will overpay for a puck moving defenseman. No one is trading puck moving defensemen so he may be the only one available.
    Dont think Russell with a small add does it. Calgary really wants a first round pick. I’m sure the braintrust remembers how well Gio and Brodie looked a few years ago and have their mind made up.

14. leadfarmer says:

Doug McLachlan,

One thing I would say is that Brodie is a pass first defenseman so judging him by his goal total is completely irrelevant. Now if you want to say that every single player advanced stats are significantly worse of with him now that would be a relevant discussion

15. who says:

leadfarmer:
    who,

Prediction.Probably only place Russell would waive to.They want a first round pick.Chia will overpay for a puck moving defenseman.No one is trading puck moving defensemen so he may be the only one available.
    Dont think Russell with a small add does it.Calgary really wants a first round pick.I’m sure the braintrust remembers how well Gio and Brodie looked a few years ago and have their mind made up.

The braintrust can’t be that dumb, can they?
    I don’t know what Calgary has, that they would be willing to give up, that is worth 9OV.

16. Wolfpack says:

Brodie makes about $650K/yr more than Russel over the next two seasons and is under contract for one fewer year. Also has a NTC and is left-handed. I am not sure that Brodie is the answer to be honest. I also agree that Russel plus a first would be an overpay by the Oilers. But if we are talking about a situation where both players would need to waive their NTC then I tend to think this might be a pipe dream. Also, maybe a situation of “the grass is always greener”.

17. Stud Muffin says:

I’d be looking for a LW as well and also would not pencil Rattie in on the top line(or any line).
    Also there’s Speculation that the Oilers may be signing Mikko Koskinen out of SKA St.Petersburg.

18. "Steve Smith" says:

Woogie63,

It would solve even *more* of our secondary scoring concerns if Pakarinen scored sixty.

19. dustrock says:

LT, your heart soared when Stauffer mentioned Anaheim?

Mine skipped a beat, because this is the Darkest Timeline, and I imagine a world where McLellan is fired and they hire Randy Carlyle.

20. 90s fan says:

“No. 9 overall pick. Peter Chiarelli specifically mentioned he would be willing to trade the pick (unless the team wins the lottery) in answer to a Jim Matheson question at the exit interview. I’m not sure what the value of a No. 9 pick would be, but in recent seasons a pick in this area was the cornerstone for deals that fetched Dougie Hamilton and Travis Hamonic.”

We can’t do this. It’s short sighted. It gives us one more player that we will lose in the next expansion. ** Unless as others suggest its packaged with another player like Russell that we have to protect anyway.

“Andrej Sekera buyout/trade. Edmonton would save $3.89 million toward next year’s cap and that’s a big deal. I’m not recommending it (or trading the pick) but it does give the team room to wheel.”

I also think buyouts are short sighted. Stacks that cap loss on future years, PLUS we have to pay another player in their stead. Not too mention we don’t really know what we will have in this player next year. (Although I fear we will have a Ryan Whitney situation all over again).

I know that gives us nothing work with, but thats the bed we made.

21. ArmchairGM says:

Give us some names – who is this summer’s Dougie Hamilton?

22. frjohnk says:

ArmchairGM: Give us some names – who is this summer’s Dougie Hamilton?

It could be….Dougie Hamilton.

I heard that Calgary had quietly shopped him at the deadline.

ArmchairGM:

Give us some names – who is this summer’s Dougie Hamilton?

Matt Benning.

24. Cassandra says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Woogie63,

godot10: Matt Benning.

This is a much better response than what I was going to say.

25. anjinsan says:

Here’s the lyrics to Sloop John B.
    Someone turn it into an Oiler drinking song about
    having had enough of Chiarelli and sending him packing?

We come on the Sloop John B
    My grandfather and me
    Around Nassau town we did roam
    Drinking all night
    Got into a fight
    Well I feel so broke up
    I want to go home
    So hoist up the John B’s sail
    See how the main sail sets
    Call for the Captain ashore
    Let me go home, let me go home
    I want to go home, yeah yeah
    Well I feel so broke up
    I want to go home
    The first mate he got drunk
    And broke in the Cap’n’s trunk
    The constable had to come and take him away
    Sheriff John Stone
    Why don’t you leave me alone, yeah yeah
    Well I feel so broke up, I want to go home
    So hoist up the John B’s sail
    See how the main sail sets
    Call for the Captain ashore
    Let me go home, let me go home
    I want to go home, let me go home
    Why don’t you let me go home
    (Hoist up the John B’s sail)
    Hoist up…

26. russ99 says:

Good post, but I still think that increasing the footprint of the ’94s is a bad idea. It seems to me the organization is overvaluing the ’94s due to a lack of good drafting around that age group.

If anything, I’d like to see some low-cost veteran support added at forward, since that way the ’94s need to earn spots, not be forced into higher spots that they can’t perform at.

I also think that both the salary difference with raises and skill gap between Strome/Benning and more established, less expensive NHL players could lead them out of town.

Would we be better to not pay Strome and Benning a combined $5.5M and save $2-3M by signing players like Daniel Winnik or Brodziak and Christian Folin or Cody Franson instead?

27. russ99 says:

who,

Seems ridiculously dumb to give up a first to move a player who’s useful and loses some trade protection next July.

28. Dustylegnd says:

Last year after Sekera suffered his knee injury, the savvy posters warned about how difficult it would be for him to return from the surgery, with only a few exceptions (Adrian Peterson) it takes athletes over a year to recover to their former condition.

Sekera was clearly our best all round D man last year (2016/2017), a buyout of this player is a truly short sighted move. He has a full off season of training in front of him, and by definition can’t be as bad as he was last year

A return to form by Sekera solves a number of problems for the Oil….get him back, hopefully he returns to peak form and if he doesn’t then we only have 2 more years to buy out

Why have so many lost all confidence in this very fine puck moving D man and 3 on 3 Wizard?

29. who says:

russ99:
    Good post, but I still think that increasing the footprint of the ’94s is a bad idea. It seems to me the organization isovervaluing the ’94s due to a lack of good drafting around that age group.

If you are assuming that Strome gets 3 million next year you are projecting Benning at 2.5. I think he gets half that, max.

30. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

– LT – I’m not following you on some of the potential Les.

– Any player on the roster is a buyout candidate. Do you put sek there because you think the oil might do that? If so what makes you think this?

– At the worlds we will have a better sense of where he is. At training camp even more.

– Sek in particular you’ve been all over the map. He’s been slower to recover than some thought (but that is probably our bad projections rather than anything concrete)

– If Sek can’t recover fully from injury he is a buyout candidate or ltir.

– You are either suggesting the Oil management are going to buy him out without all the information or your just angry.

– Sure they could buy him out. They could buy out anyone on the team

– sorry if this comes across the wrong way but others too have pointed out the inconsistency with your takes on Sek

31. fifthcartel says:

I agree with your list of assets, LT. I’m not sure about Strome since he’s ‘Chia’s guy’, but otherwise that’s how I see it.

RNH – His move up to 97’s LW means if he’s moved Chiarelli has to absolutely hit a home run with an RNH trade. That’s highly unlikely given his record so my guess is he moves one of these assets:

1st: He’s trading for his job so I don’t think he cares about getting full value (a pattern in his moves) or about a future expansion draft.

Klefbom: I think the organization thinks he’s soft and loves Darnell Nurse more than anything. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see him moved for a W or RD.

Puljujarvi: Peter Chiarelli dealing a young highly-drafted player is like Katz hiring former Oilers, expect it almost every year. I’m betting they expected more out of him sooner and the clock’s ticking so he could be sent out for a Chris Krieder or similar.

A Sekera buyout makes sense too. Chiarelli can’t wait for cap space, or he’s gone, so adding a cap hit for multiple years won’t matter to him.

This is why I wanted Chiarelli fired. His moves this summer will be made to try and save his job. If they miss the playoffs, he’s gone. If they have a bad start, he’s probably gone. If they have a bad 20-40 games, he’s gone. Rather than seeing if Peter Chiarelli can finally add talent without losing a trade or adding a tough contract, I would have just fired him and set out for a new general manager from a good organization.

Chiarelli isn’t going to completely alter the way he manages, he’s going to do more of the same and likely be gone by next summer. Sigh.

32. speeds says:

LT (or anyone):

Would you move 9OV if it meant you could trade Lucic with no retained money, in some sort of deal?

33. Woogie63 says:

Isn’t the objective for this year to increase the footprint of the 95s?

if it is a conveyor belt, PC has moved on from the 94s

34. ArmchairGM says:

godot10: Matt Benning.

Good one!

Seriously though, when Hamilton was traded he was 21 years old and coming off a 10 goal, 42 point season, while playing 21:20 for 72 games. First pairing stuff, at 21, at 6’6, plus RHS. I’d give up #9 and Benning for that!

35. ArmchairGM says:

ArmchairGM: Good one!

The only player I can see who is remotely close to this is Charlie McAvoy.

36. jtblack says:

speeds:
    LT (or anyone):

Roght or Wrong, this is the problem PC created. He now has to look at burning MORE assets to undo some of the shit he did.

#Fail

What Chiarelli has to engineer is a three-team deal, where the main pieces are

Russell to Calgary
    Brodie to Colorado
    Barrie to Edmonton

The main problem being, with Girard, Colorado really no longer needs Brodie.

38. Confused says:

Given the talent available, trading the 9OV is only something a loser would do.

Desperate organizations, desperate men make bad decisions.

I can only hope we have turned the corner and are on the path to winning.

Draft and develop, the only way!

39. leadfarmer says:

speeds,

No. Although thats what it would take. I think you can trade a lesser asset for another team to retain some cap and trade him for a player that is easier to buyout like Darling.

40. Melman says:

fifthcartel,

This sounds like a depressingly accurate prediction.

The best way to see if Lucic is really done is to change the coach. Lucic really only has been this horribly bad 5v5 with McLellan as his coach.

Lucic’s power play production in his first season with the OIlers obscured how bad he was that year also.

42. Melman says:

Confused,

You must be new around these parts!

43. Woogie63 says:

Conveyor Belts….

94s
    Caggiula, Khaira, Slepyshev, Benning,

95s
    Driasaitl, Nurse

96s
    Marody, Lagesson, Mantha, Dudek

97s
    McDavid, Hebig, Bear, Berglund, Jones, Marino

98s
    Puljujarvi, Benson, Yamamoto, Rasenan, Skinner, Wells, Niemelainen, McPhee, Cains

99s
    Maksomov, Safin, Kemp, Samorukov

44. who says:

speeds:
    LT (or anyone):

If you include Lucic in a 9OV trade I don’t think you get enough value back. The Oilers don’t have enough talent depth to lose value on the 9OV.
    I would make the pick and learn to live with Lucic.

45. Brantford Boy says:

Probably no secret about my hope for Noah Dobson at No. 9… I think someone else has mentioned it before but it does have a nice ring to it… what about trading the pick down to the Philadelphia Flyers and take the 14 and 19 overall… of course there would need to be someone on the board for the Flyers to do this but… is the 9th alone enough or do we need to add the 2nd rounder in as well?

46. Melvis says:

AshetonisGod:
    Wouldn’t it be nice if Chia was smarter?
    Then we wouldn’t have to wait so long
    And wouldn’t it be nice with Connor and Taylor together
    In the kind of world where we belong
    You know it’s gonna make it that much better
    When we can raise the Cup together
    Wouldn’t it be nice if we could wake up
    In the morning when the season is new?
    And after having spent the year together
    Hold the Stanley Cup the whole night through
    Wouldn’t it be nice ….

I can appreciate that…

47. Melman says:

Can’t help but wonder how much this has to do with going home vs. wanting to get out of the Hurricane (pun intended) while he still can. With the front office turmoil going on there, there is bound to be a stinker of a deal from Carolina’s perspective coming within the next few months. Not every team will have needs that match up with their roster, but there are some nice pieces there for an astute GM. If only….

48. Confused says:

Melman,

Well PC talks about the 5 year plan, so this is patience year.

Draft high end D or elite scorer.

This year, have we got enough 1994 born players, progression.

Got to fill the pipeline.

Goalie euro, low end D, unless Russell waives, cheap W, D. Ryan, we make the playoffs next year without blowing the future.

Main risks, injuries, Todd

49. Scungilli Slushy says:

speeds:
    LT (or anyone):

I wouldn’t. Unless a good young player was involved filling a hole, why would anyone make that deal? Teams can and do carry bad contracts, and Lucic’s possession numbers are still pretty good. I’d keep my powder dry and see if possibilities come up as time goes on to shed the contract.

He may not be worth his money but he isn’t what’s hurting them most. For salary relief I’d move Kassian who essentially duplicates what Lucic was brought in for, is also too expensive and despite having skill isn’t consistent enough for top 6 or for a bottom 6 shut down role.

50. Scungilli Slushy says:

If The Flames want to move Hamilton and would deal with the Oilers I would move a first, but not this year’s unless it drops, maybe.

Hamiltons relative stats

ReIT CF% 5.77 (2nd behind Gio)
    ReIT GF% 6.01 (best of their D)

Wowys
    Player / Together / Player without / Hamilton without

Giordano / 58.25 / 53.33 / 53.33 doesn’t look like Gio is zooming Hamilton
    Gaudreau / 56.82 / 51.62 / 57.93
    Monahan / 56.74 / 52.60 / 58.56

He’s good. They’d have to take salary. The 2019 first, 2018 second (or a prospect) and Russell seems like about the right payment. I’d do Yama, 2018 2nd and Russell for Hamilton as well.

51. Oilman99 says:

leadfarmer:

You sound like a Chia clone. Huge overpay for a guy that isn’t even an upgrade from Russell in his own zone, and has not done anything offensively to warrant a first pick.

52. Melman says:

Confused,

He talks about a 5 year plan and not doing something drastic for a quick fix is the right move, but the concern is that he will sell the future to save his hide

53. McSorley33 says:

speeds,

Great question – as usual.

Personally, I would not – I believe this is to be a sneaky deep draft at D .

Plus, I do think there is salvage value with Looch on the 3rd line – knowing
    he will never be worth is contract though.

54. ArmchairGM says:

Brantford Boy:
    Probably no secret about my hope for Noah Dobson at No. 9… I think someone else has mentioned it before but it does have a nice ring to it… what about trading the pick down to the Philadelphia Flyers andtake the 14 and 19 overall… of course there would need to be someone on the board for the Flyers to do this but… is the 9th alone enough or do we need to add the 2nd rounder in as well?

* 1st to 31st is a huge value gap, whereas 62nd to 93rd much less so.

55. Melman says:

Scungilli Slushy,

Hey Slushy – you mentioned an article yesterday in the Athletic by Marchand. Which one was it? I was going to give it a read

56. AshetonisGod says:

Wouldn’t it be nice (alternate lyrics)

Wouldn’t it be nice Lucic were quicker?
    And didn’t have hands of stone
    And wasn’t a $6mm fourth liner
    Always stuck in the O-Zone
    You know it’s gonna make it that much better
    When we can trade him to Arizona
    Wouldn’t it be nice if we could wake up
    In the morning when the season is new?
    And after having spent season sans Lucic
    Our forwards no longer stuck in goo. . . .
    Wouldn’t it be nice…

Marody, Lagesson, Mantha, Dudek

97s
    McDavid, Hebig, Bear, Berglund, Jones, Marino

98s

99s
    Maksomov, Safin, Kemp, Samorukov

This is nice, it’s a good way of looking at what Chiarelli is faced with. The conveyor belt on the 93s is pretty strong: Nuge, Larsson, Klefbom

With that in mind it seems we have a primary cluster of talent centered on Draisatl though I guess some of that is survival bias. Will be interesting to see if Chiarelli trades from the 00s to reinforce the cluster.

I absolutely would not want to see a trade from the 00s to add players born before 93 until we are more than a playoff bubble team.

58. Bad Seed says:

Melman,

It’s actually in the player’s tribune, not the athletic.

59. ArmchairGM says:

ArmchairGM: IIRC we moved up four spots in the third round (from 82 to 78 or something) and it cost us 82 and an early 5th (125th?). Being as the talent in the first round is so divergent*, I would like to think 14 + 19 = 9.

* 1st to 31st is a huge value gap, whereas 62nd to 93rd much less so.

Did I just make that more clear or less? :/

60. Jaxon says:

If Hamilton is available, trading Russell plus might be Edmonton’s best chance at getting rid of $4M in cap without a buyout. As mentioned, Russell might waive for Calgary. I’d add a second this year and plus Caleb Jones. Would that work/make sense? If you can’t trade Russell this summer I think they almost have to buy him out. His contact is NMC and modified NMC throughout, so he will have to be protected for the expansion draft in 2020. That would force the Oilers to expose one of Klefbom, Nurse, or Larsson, which is a no go. Further, if you don’t buy him out this summer, he also starts to become more untradable as the expansion draft approaches. What GM will take on his NMC next summer, one summer before expansion. And he’s only tradeable to 10 teams of his choice, which could easily be gamed by Russell and his agent to make him untradable. He just has to pick 9 teams with 3 D that must be protected and the Flames. Bonus if there in Division and have a lot of quality forward to protect as well. His buyout save’s 3.4m in cap this season, which might be the only season the Oilers are in cap trouble for the next few years. Buyout Russell and trade Kassian is about 6M in cap savings.

61. --hudson-- says:

94s
    Gillies, Jankowski, Monahan, Foo

96s
    Bennett, Andersson, Kylington, Mangiapane

97s
    Tkachuk, Parsons, Dube, Adam Fox

98s and on (I don’t know enough about these guys)
    Valimaki, Ruzicka

62. russ99 says:

Interesting article by Justin Bourne about what GMs can learn from Vegas on the Athletic, they made a case that much of their success lies in the majority of players are around the peak age of 27.4 years old.

A cursory look at our roster shows 90% is way younger or older.

63. Jaxon says:

–hudson–: This is nice, it’s a good way of looking at what Chiarelli is faced with.The conveyor belt on the 93s is pretty strong: Nuge, Larsson, Klefbom

With that in mind it seems we have a primary cluster of talent centered on Draisatl though I guess some of that is survival bias.Will be interesting to see if Chiarelli trades from the 00s to reinforce the cluster.

64. russ99 says:

Jaxon:

Lots of players get traded with 10-team list, we should be able to move him next summer if we need to, every coach wants a player like that.

Not to mention that he could be useful next year in a right-side or third pairing role.

65. OmJo says:

Buying out Sekera, and then trading another asset along with the 9OV pick to acquire a puck-moving defenceman would be such a stupid move by the Oilers.

*pauses*

96:
    Virtanen, Gaudette

97:
    Boeser, Dahlen

98:
    Juolevi , Pettersson, Lind

Plus whatever they get in this years lotto

67. JimmyV1965 says:

ArmchairGM: In case that wasn’t clear, I think the value gap between 9 and 14 is huge, the gap between 78 and 82 is tiny. If going from 82 to 78 cost 125, then going from 14 to 9 should cost at least 19.

Did I just make that more clear or less? :/

68. Brantford Boy says:

ArmchairGM,

Crystal, and thanks… I did not anticipate giving up the 2nd, was just curious… at best I figured the 5th rounder with it being a deep draft… but I think the 9th is plenty for the 14th & 19th overalls… now, does Philly like that deal or not is one of many other questions…

69. --hudson-- says:

Jaxon: Not on the same level as Nuge, Klefbom, Larsson, of course, but Strome, Aberg and Rattie are also 93s. And Larsson is actually 92.

Appreciated, thanks for the correction!

So looking at Western Canada, the Flames are clustered around 1993, the Oilers around 1995 (though McDavid is a 97), and the Canucks look like they have a big cluster around ’97/98 (provided Boeser is back to full health and Petterson is the real deal).

70. leadfarmer says:

JimmyV1965,

Depends what you use. If we are using 200 games played its not much. But the better question why are you using 200 games played. If you get a bottom pairing d, or 3-4th line forward or backup G out of a high to mid first round pick that pick is a miss in my eyes no matter how many games played

71. Richard S.S. says:

Can the #1 Line on the Oilers score 100 Goals and attain 275 points or be even better? Connor McDavid should score 40 plus Goals and have at least 120 points next year. That might even be low. No one else on the Oilers is that sure, no one. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will be on Connor’s Left Wing, unless Chiarelli is blown away with an offer. Can he get 30 Goals and 80-85 points? Might be a first time for that. Can the Oilers get someone just as good on his right side?

Can the #2 Line on the Oilers score 75 Goals and attain 200 points or be even better? Leon Draisaitl must drive this line. He’s done 29 and 77 in 2016/17, with 25 and 70 in 2017/18. Can he get 30 Goals and have at least 85 points? He needs Left and Right Wingers that are better than currently exist on the Oilers.

Worrying about the Bottom Six should always come last. There might not be enough money left to do anything else when it’s time to do this. The Oilers are further away than we think unless at least one player steps up, and when you need this it deosn’t happen.

72. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

russ99: Look at a Russell buyout. it’s the worst at the time where we need the cap room.

– I’m with you Russ. There seems to be a lot of what I see as “dumb” suggestions

– Maybe its passive-agressive attacks on Chia, but trading, or buying out a D who who is legitimate D, and puts up points, and does a lot of things right, and with no one on the roster or in the pipeline that is better seems like folly. He’s not the problem, and will only get easier to move. He’s only 30, and there is a market for guys like him

– And Sek, again, maybe is a veiled way of saying Chia has no noggin, but when trying to solve for next year’s improved D, putting up a lot of cash for a guy a year removed from being arguably the best D on our team: I just don’t get this conversation.

– And Lucic: at worst next year he gets the Kessel 3rd line expensive guy treatment.

– It just seems that the panic level and short-sighted problem solving solutions to get rid of three guys who are still much better than anything on our roster, to buy them out, trade them: I’m missing stuff

73. ArmchairGM says:

Jaxon:

74. ArmchairGM says:

JimmyV1965: A scout on Stauffer’s show the other day said the gap between the 10OV and 31OV is very small.

75. OriginalPouzar says:

Dustylegnd:

Absolutely agree 100% and I have stated the same position on various forms of social medial

It was widely accepted that Sekera was going to be a shadow of himself when he returned to the lineup this year. Not only because that is almost always the case when a player returns from this type of surgery but he also missed an off-season of training, training camp and game play during the season.

Its interesting to me that so many are willing to dispose of this asset for nothing and even keep a material dead cap hit to get rid of it.

I understand the need to open up cap space but Sekera is arguably our best d-man and is extremely important to this team. He is almost undoubtedly going to be materially better come October. Not having the brace (which materially effects his mobility) alone will lead to a vast improvement not to mention the extra time strengthening the area and getting comfortable mentally and physically.

Even if Reggie never gets back to 100% (who knows, he very well may but he may not), I expect him to be at least 90% and that player is significant and important.

76. --hudson-- says:

russ99: Making a dumb trade a year before we can make a smart one seems silly. There’s other ways to clear cap room.

Well said!

77. OmJo says:

Thoughts on Gulutzan coming to Edmonton as an assistant (via caller on Oilers Now)

Edit: Not a random caller but not sure who the guest is.

Edit edit: Elliot Freidman

78. Jaxon says:

ArmchairGM: Nobody has to take on his NTC / NMC. If he waives for a trade (which he has to do), the receiving GM has the option whether or not to continue the NTC / NMC. In other words, the contract loses that protection if a trade occurs.

Actually, when the player decides to waive his contract, the players agent can draft an addendum to say that the clause travels with the player to the new team. If the new GM doesn’t want to sign the addendum then the trade would be voided. If the GM refuses and the player waives anyway then the NMC is considered cancelled. Or if the player and agent agree to not try to bring the clause with them then it is cancelled. So, on summary it is really up to the player wether they want to bring the NMC with them. If Russell didn’t want to end up in Seattle he will keep it.

79. JimmyV1965 says:

ArmchairGM: Maybe the gap is small in fact (or retrospect), but it’s large to NHL GM’s, and that’s what counts.

That’s why trading down in the first seems like a good option.

russ99:

A cursory look at our roster shows 90% is way younger or older.

The Oilers have been giving up and trading away players for a decade as they turn 25-26. Stoll, Torres, Pitkanen, Hejda, Gagner, Petry, Gilbert, Smid Eberle, Hall.

Cogliano and Schultz were a bit younger.

I’ve complained about this for years and years.

It is next to impossible to win with a douohnut hole from 25-30.

OmJo:

Edit: Not a random caller but not sure who the guest is.

Edit edit: Elliot Freidman

The problem is McLellan. Gulutzan doesn’t solve that problem. The organizations that he has worked for are all our arch enemies….Calgary, Vancouver, Dallas. Failed in all three places. Ongoing failure certainly makes him qualified.

JimmyV1965: That’s why trading down in the first seems like a good option.

But aren’t be currently 9th OV. The scout said 10 to 30, NOT 9 to 30. When a scout says 10-30, he means there are 9 players signifcantly better than everybody else.

83. rope-a-dope says:

I find the idea that Chia is more likely to trade the 9th overall pick to save himself to be a strange one. If he indeed did ‘save’ himself presumably by bringing in an established veteran, the pipeline of youth coming in would then be weaker for him to work with. If he stays running things, he needs talent, this team still doesn’t have enough. Secondly, he’s taken endless criticism for the Barzal pick, I think he’d be extremely wary of a repeat of that.

84. ArmchairGM says:

David Musil
    Oscar Dansk
    Ian McCoshen
    Brendan Lemieux
    Jeremy Roy
    Yegor Korshkov

Yeah, I’m less enthusiastic about trading 9 for 14 + 19, and that scout was clearly TALKING OUT OF HIS ASS.

85. Scungilli Slushy says:

Melman:
    Scungilli Slushy,

Hey Slushy – you mentioned an article yesterday in the Athletic by Marchand.Which one was it? I was going to give it a read

It was actually The Player’s Tribune , NHL

86. Scungilli Slushy says:

If Philly wanted to move up and Calgary wanted to deal this. The first rounder has extra value because of expansion. Trade the first and a third for Philly’s two firsts, flip one to Calgary with Russell and a little bit for Hamilton maybe a bit back.

PC keeps a first everybody gets value.

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    – LT – I’m not following you on some of the potential Les.

– Any player on the roster is a buyout candidate. Do you put sek there because you think the oil might do that?If so what makes you think this?

– If Sek can’t recover fully from injury he is a buyout candidate or ltir.

– Sure they could buy him out. They could buy out anyone on the team

To be clear: I like Sekera a lot, for me he’s an effective puck mover. He can play in all disciplines and is fantastic in overtime. The general manager has absolutely put himself in a spot where he needs to free some cash. I wouldn’t buy out Sekera. PC might see that as an option.

88. who says:

Kinger_Oil.redux: – I’m with you Russ.There seems to be a lot of what I see as “dumb” suggestions

– Maybe its passive-agressive attacks on Chia, but trading, or buying out a D who who is legitimate D, and puts up points, and does a lot of things right, and with no one on the roster or in the pipeline that is better seems like folly.He’s not the problem, and will only get easier to move.He’s only 30, and there is a market for guys like him

Lucic, on the other hand, is not better than most guys on this roster. He may be better next year but nothing I have seen in the last 2 years would lead me to believe he will improve. His contract and current level of play is the biggest problem on this roster. The Oilers should be looking for ways to get rid of him. I just don’t think it’s possible at an acceptable cost.

89. who says:

Scungilli Slushy:

PC keeps a first everybody gets value.

I was thinking the exact same thing.
    Do you think Calgary wants a 1st rounder bad enough to trade Hamilton?

90. LMHF#1 says:

who,

Kris Russell is not an actual NHL defenceman. He was already a #6 at best this past year as predicted, and is only getting worse.

Lucic on the other hand, while I’m very very angry with his play, could turn it around. He still has time and track record. It’s going to take a lot and likely a different coach, but he could.

The only NHL use for Kris Russell should be as a 4th line forward. I’m not joking. He has the skill set.

91. JimmyV1965 says:

David Musil
    Oscar Dansk
    Ian McCoshen
    Brendan Lemieux
    Jeremy Roy
    Yegor Korshkov

Chief scout from Central Scouting. You’re right though. He’s probably a moron.

92. Ribs says:

Scungilli Slushy: It was actually The Player’s Tribune , NHL

Pretty good read!

——————–

And while I’m dropping links… Here’s a neat one on cognitive biases that may be useful to some…

93. who says:

LMHF#1:
    who,

Soooo, based on the last 2 years, you think Lucic is a more useful player than Russell? It’s an opinion. I guess .
    In my opinion, the only thing Lucic brings to the table right now is an intimidating reputation. And even that seems to be waning. He can’t skate, can’t pass, can’t score and can’t defend.
    I’m genuinely curious what you think he adds to this team?

94. Cassandra says:

who: I agree that buying out, or adding assets to trade, Russell or Sekera this summer is stupid. They are actual NHL dmen and we don’t have more than 6 of these guys right now. The only reason to trade them would be to improve the team, not weaken it. If we still have Russell at the expansion draft then you buy out the last year of his contract.
    Lucic, on the other hand, is not better than most guys on this roster. He may be better next year but nothing I have seen in the last 2 years would lead me to believe he will improve. His contract and current level of play is the biggest problem on this roster. The Oilers should be looking for ways to get rid of him.I just don’t think it’s possible at an acceptable cost.

Russell, on the other hand, can still play in the NHL. However, he is also the team’s 4th best D on the left side (pending Sekera’s return to form). So the question is if Russell with the penalty for playing on his offside is good enough to play on third pairing. I am skeptical.

The good news is that Russell might be tradeable. If he is, you trade him in a second for whatever you can get, and trade a 3rd round pick for a third pairing RHD, which is around the established cost for a 3rd pairing guy.

Then you use whatever money you have to get the best RHD you can find.

This leaves nothing for the forwards, but this is the hand you are dealt. Play Puljujarvi more. Put Yamamota and company in the AHL and hope they are stars by midseason.

95. trencan says:

who,

I believe its leadership and off ice approach.

96. Cassandra says:

JimmyV1965: Chief scout from Central Scouting. You’re right though. He’s probably a moron.

Well he has impeccable credentials for the job.

97. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

who,

– Aren’t we all resigned to this team not being a Cup team next year? So if we aren’t a cup team, and the expectations are not there to be so, why are we talking about desperate, back-up the truck, fire-sale, whole-sale makeovers of the team with NMC bona-fide players?

– Who knows if you guys are right. Sure dream about a trade of Russel for a better d, that is cheaper, ignore his NMC. Just seems like a lot of fantasy stuff and ignores his contract terms

– Sek: Again, if the issue is get better D, or more cap space, trading him/buying him out doesn’t help (and ignores the NMC). I just see this as fantasy trade stuff:

– You guys clearly think very poorly of Chia to think these are things he is going to do (because I know you aren’t suggesting Chia is going to rip-off another GM in a trade for Russel or Sek)

– There is plenty of cap space, I thought you said in the last post. Any hockey trade is going to involve a real player that is able to be traded IMO (Nurse, Pool, Klef, RNH, Kassian, Benning)

– It’s a false narrative IMO that this team is so hampered by Sek Russel and Lucic that the only solution is to fire-sale them, or buy-them out. They are all NHL players: your not trading them for better ones, nor can you given their structures, nor does it make sense to buy them out.

– Concentrate on getting better players, and developing our own so these guys get passed (which was the reason they were all brought in anyways: pay lots of money to UFA’s to bridge the gap)

98. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

who,

– At worst I believe Lucic can be used next year in a decadent 3rd line winger that makes too much money a la Kessel. Slot him in there, and if he can move up and be with Drai great

99. ArmchairGM says:

David Musil
    Oscar Dansk
    Ian McCoshen
    Brendan Lemieux
    Jeremy Roy
    Yegor Korshkov

Good info. Yes , @ #9 almost guranteed a Good Player. Keep the pick.

It’s the right thing to do!

Kinger_Oil.redux:

who,

– Aren’t we all resigned to this team not being a Cup team next year?So if we aren’t a cup team, and the expectations are not there to be so, why are we talking about desperate, back-up the truck, fire-sale, whole-sale makeovers of the team with NMC bona-fide players?

– Who knows if you guys are right.Sure dream about a trade of Russel for a better d, that is cheaper, ignore his NMC.Just seems like a lot of fantasy stuff and ignores his contract terms

– Sek: Again, if the issue is get better D, or more cap space, trading him/buying him out doesn’t help (and ignores the NMC).I just see this as fantasy trade stuff:

– There is plenty of cap space, I thought you said in the last post.Any hockey trade is going to involve a real player that is able to be traded IMO (Nurse, Pool, Klef, RNH, Kassian, Benning)

– It’s a false narrative IMO that this team is so hampered by Sek Russel and Lucic that the only solution is to fire-sale them, or buy-them out.They are all NHL players: your not trading them for better ones, nor can you given their structures, nor does it make sense to buy them out.

102. jtblack says:

Cassandra: Exactly.The situations are not analogous.Lucic is the worst player on the team with an untradeable contract. Buying him out makes the team better immediately.

Russell, on the other hand, can still play in the NHL.However, he is also the team’s 4th best D on the left side (pending Sekera’s return to form).So the question is if Russell with the penalty for playing on his offside is good enough to play on third pairing.I am skeptical.

The good news is that Russell might be tradeable.If he is, you trade him in a second for whatever you can get, and trade a 3rd round pick for a third pairing RHD, which is around the established cost for a 3rd pairing guy.

Then you use whatever money you have to get the best RHD you can find.

This leaves nothing for the forwards, but this is the hand you are dealt.Play Puljujarvi more.Put Yamamota and company in the AHL and hope they are stars by midseason.

and draft Wahlstrom @#9. He’s a Gunner.

103. trencan says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Valeno in the lineup for Canada today.

Valeno, Merkley, Ty Smith, etc.

Most interesting players on this tournament are players who are not draft eligible this year and are currently scoring leaders – Jack Hughes and Anton Lundell. And of course the youngest player, only 15 years old G from Sweden, Wallstedt – next Lundqvist. Wahlstrom is having also fantastic tournament, strong PP.

104. trencan says:

jtblack,

I believe at #9 will be available Smith.

105. JimmyV1965 says:

ArmchairGM: Clearly. Have you ever compared Central’s rankings to actual results, years later?

106. jtblack says:

Ryan Pulock is a ’94 RHD. Good analytics 32 Points

Not sure if hes avail??? Not sure we want Peter trading with Garth.

107. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Lowetide: I am absolutely onside, have written on the ideal being a quiet summer of building around the edges and using all picks. The Oilers have retained Peter Chiarelli. I don’t think he feels a quiet summer helps him.

– Many believe Chia should be fired for cause. Fire-sale, quick-fix, pennies-on-the-dollar trade scenarios/ buy-outs : I guess thinking he will do this makes sense if this is the starting point

– I realize your post wasn’t “what should Chia do”, rather “What might Chia do, given he is a desperate, poor GM on a short lease, that has to win now at the expense of the future”

– Certainly he has shown signs of both: we will see

108. who says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:

who,

I think you are agreeing with me.
    To summarize I think you keep Sekera and Russell. If Russell is a problem at expansion draft you buy him out.
    Would love to get rid of Lucic but I don’t think it’s possible given his NMC and negative value. If he waives his NMC and you have to add a 3rd rounder to get someone to take him you make the trade.
    This is an extreme example. No way I think another team does this.

Kinger_Oil.redux: – Many believe Chia should be fired for cause.Fire-sale, quick-fix, pennies-on-the-dollar trade scenarios/ buy-outs : I guess thinking he will do this makes sense if this is the starting point

– Certainly he has shown signs of both: we will see

110. Doug McLachlan says:

Did I just make that more clear or less? :/

There are different value charts out there but the statsportsconsulting.com site

would set the relative values as follows:
    1st is 917pts,
    2nd is 871pts,
    3rd is 826,
    9th is 596,
    14th is 456,
    19th is 364,
    78th is 158,
    82nd is 151 and
    125th is 86.

So the drop from 9th to 14th is significant (almost 150pts) and the “mark-up” to drop down is steep, I don’t think a early-mid 1st rounder will get you two mid 1st rounders. If offered – call it in ASAP.

111. Scungilli Slushy says:

Cassandra: Exactly. The situations are not analogous. Lucic is the worst player on the team with an untradeable contract. Buying him out makes the team better immediately.

I would upgrade any position when possible, excepting Connor because there is no upgrade. It’s the least effective players that cause the most harm.

There is the argument that used to come up that it isn’t the 4th line that kills the team, but I think for this Oiler version it is the bottom players getting wailed on that is the problem.

Lucic is not the biggest problem.

112. who says:

Scungilli Slushy: It depends how you describe worst. I put up possession numbers a few days ago for the lesser forwards and Lucic was top 3. Slepy was good as well. Caggiula is a far bigger problem, drags everyone down.

Lucic is not the biggest problem.

If you are simply looking at performance maybe he’s not the biggest problem. Although he would make my short list.
    When you factor in his contract there’s no doubt in my mind. He is the biggest problem.

113. Kinger_Oil.redux says:

Lowetide: I think that frames my view incorrectly but I’m not certain that matters to the overall conversation.

– but you agree that your suggested “moves” like buy out sek or give something else to trade russel would be poor moves. But they are things that chia might consider? I think that’s isn’t it?

– because these moves aren’t full value and erode the future.

114. Rebilled says:

Here’s hoping Talbot(not sure), Lucic(no excuse) and Sekera(excuse) bounce back next year.

I have no idea where this team will be next season.

None.

GOILERS!

115. theboyfromsouthdetroit says:

I’m just jumping in here completely out of the blue to say I’ve just spent the last hour+ of my day reading articles on The Athletic back-to-back-to-back (etc,etc). This is not an uncommon occurrence.

I signed up the day LT announced he’d be writing there and I am 10% thrilled that I did. Obviously the Oilers coverage is superb, but if you’re a multi-sport fan like me, there’s so much more to enjoy. The baseball coverage in particular is top notch.

So stop what you’re doing. Don’t hit “post” on that wall of text about Chia’s aversion to top-flight talent, get down off your roof with that misspelled “fire MaccLellen” sign. You can always throw your 2017 Lucic #27 away jersey on the ice at your kid’s next summer league game instead of burning it live on YouTube right now. Right now, you need to get over to The Athletic and subscribe, and read Justin Bourne’s deep dive on how to defend a 2-on-1.

As always, thanks LT for all you do!

116. krakman says:

Kinger_Oil.redux:
    who,

– At worst I believe Lucic can be used next year in a decadent 3rd line winger that makes too much money a la Kessel.Slot him in there, and if he can move up and be with Drai great

So i guess playing shitty defence he has that in common with Kessel.

117. Brantford Boy says:

Doug McLachlan: Haven’t scrolled down to see if others have replied to this yet but while the gap between 78 and 82 is tiny, the gap from 14 to 9 is not so great that it would garner 19 back.

would set the relative values as follows:
    1st is 917pts,
    2nd is 871pts,
    3rd is 826,
    9th is 596,
    14th is 456,
    19th is 364,
    78th is 158,
    82nd is 151 and
    125th is 86.

So the drop from 9th to 14th is significant (almost 150pts) and the “mark-up” to drop down is steep, I don’t think a early-mid 1st rounder will get you two mid 1st rounders.If offered – call it in ASAP.

Excellent post… I knew there was values associated with the picks somewhere…

So in essence we have:
    1st round (9) = 596 points
    2nd round (38) = 211 points
    3rd round (69) = 174 points
    for a combined 807 points… (not including 3rd round)

Philly has:
    1st round (14) = 456 points
    1st round (19) = 364 points
    for a combined 820 points…

Meaning Philly might in fact want the 2nd rounder, in this case I say no to the trade… for the 3rd rounder, hmmm… need to think about that one…

118. Cassandra says:

krakman: Yes thats a good plan for Lucic put him on the third line and he will be just like Kessel except he won’t score, won’t help his teammates score, will turn the puck over and play shitty defence.

So i guess playing shittydefence he has that in common with Kessel.

The comparison of Lucic to Kessel is too strange to make fun of. It is evidence, however, of the fundamental disconnect.

One player is awesome and underappreciated. The other, not.

119. ArmchairGM says:

JimmyV1965: This will be my last word on the conversation because it’s basically ridiculous. Well, I guess calling it a conversation is a stretch. Wouldn’t it be kinda hard to compare their results, considering they rank all the players? So if they rank someone 31 and he ends up bring the 40th best player in the draft, is that a fail?

Yeah, it was tongue-in-cheek. I haven’t compared their lists, but it feels like nobody pays much attention to Central anymore.

Kinger_Oil.redux: – but you agree that your suggested “moves” like buy out sek or give something else to trade russel would be poor moves. But they are things that chia might consider?I think that’s isn’t it?

– because these moves aren’t full value and erode the future.

121. ArmchairGM says:

Doug McLachlan,

From 10 drafts, 2007-16, here are the players chosen at these specific spots.

#9

Oscar Klefbom
    Andrei Vasilevskiy
    Kerby Rychel
    Anthony DeAngelo
    Evgeny Svechnikov
    Keifer Bellows

Look at all the quality names in the #9 group – 9/10. Cowan is the only real miss and he was drafted for his size anyhow, his WHL numbers weren’t misleading anybody.

#14 contains some good players, but on average it’s clear that there’s fewer impact players in this group.

#19 is a clear step down again.

122. Jethro Tull says:

In what universe does trading Kris Russell erode the quality of the team. Maybe the team your trading him to. They’ll be worse.

Every game Russell missed this season, the Oilers were better.
    He’s the D’s equivalent of Lucic. Poor gap control, gives up too much territory, can’t outlet pass, doesn’t have a shot to speak of. But he’s great in the room and blocks shots. Noice.

123. Scungilli Slushy says:

who: I was thinking the exact same thing.
    Do you think Calgary wants a 1st rounder bad enough to trade Hamilton?

No, but IF they were shopping him and like the Oilers blaming their best or second best D as a key to their failure who knows?

Many GMs and coaches can’t appreciate the offensive players that are generating more than they give up.

Unlike Schultz Hamilton plays first pair. That is key if he doesn’t need shelter. Although he has to agree to be called Doug if he comes here.

124. Rebilled says:

Nice to see Hendricks in the line-up tonight.

Be great if The Jets got a cup before Vancouver.

125. The Trade Guy says:

I’m leaning towards the bluejays strategy. Keep your powder dry, don’t worry about chasing impact players and instead raise your floor, try and get some average players in the bottom six.

I think that would go a long ways to ensure next year is a playoff year.

126. unca miltie says:

Safely in Raddison, Saskatchewan for mother in laws 80th birthday. 4-0 jets. Wow

127. The Trade Guy says:

unca miltie:

Enjoy the excellent water!

unca miltie:

Say hello to The Red Bull for me!

129. OriginalPouzar says:

Go Broncos – Go Skinner!

I want a Hart vs. Skinner duel!

130. Brantford Boy says:

Rebilled,

Even got the intermission interview… class act…

131. OriginalPouzar says:

Skinner with 18 saves in a scoreless first period.

132. Scungilli Slushy says:

Lowetide is of course the best read on The Athletic and also here. 🙂

Another read I like is J Bourne. As I commented recently about reading Marchand’s piece, I think it gives insight to our GMs and coaches thinking.

My take is PC and McL aren’t wrong in thinking, but I’m not sure they’re executing properly. Or I am sure they aren’t executing properly.

133. Professor Q says:

Scungilli Slushy,

I also just realised that Kaitlyn McGrath writes for The Athletic. I went to Western at the same time as her and sort of watched her career blossom from the school’s newspapers to beyond. Always good to see success for Alumni.

134. Ryan says:

In breaking news… Woodguy drinks Vodka when Jameson is the only available Irish Whiskey… and he likes short ribs.

135. unca miltie says:

Water is good, red bull is still there. All is well in Raddison

136. jp says:

speeds:
    LT (or anyone):

That is an interesting idea.

It’s not the same question, but is the 9OV worth 6M X 5yrs? That’s a pretty good free agent, and approaching fair value for the pick…

Lucic the player doesn’t have zero value, but that cap space ought to be worth a premium. Made me re-think the proposed deal though!

137. deardylan says:

Q: When was the first time you made your ‘summer needs’ list and how has it evolved over the years?

138. deardylan says:

The Trade Guy: THE TRADE GUY says:
    April 20, 2018 at 6:15 pm
    I think that would go a long ways to ensure next year is a playoff year.

Trade Guy, Interesting summary of the bluejays strategy. Are you living in Toronto?

On May 1st I am reimmigrating to Toronto after 20 years living abroad so it will be fun to catch up with the BlueJays strategies and other sports teams there. Not sure the Leafs will still be playing by the time I arrive. Any recommended Toronto blogs with the type of community of lowetide.ca?

deardylan:

Don’t know off hand, will have a look.

140. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Would be interesting to hear how many people are on board with the scenario put forward by VOR in regards to trading down in the 1st round for a good RD prospect, established top 6 winger and late 1st round pick?

He mentioned Roland McKeown of CAR and Andreas Athanasiou as targets.

I’d do it.

Would you?

141. Gerta Rauss says:

Now there’s a ringing endorsement LT..!!…lol

You need to put that on your business card..:)

Gerta Rauss:

Now there’s a ringing endorsement LT..!!…lol

You need to put that on your business card..:)

I laughed when I read it. 🙂

143. OmJo says:

speeds:
    LT (or anyone):

We need to get maximum value for the 1st round pick.

Throwing in Lucic makes that impossible.

Yes, there is addition by subtraction, but I think it’s dangerous to apply that when trading a top 10 draft pick especially with another expansion draft expected soon.

144. v4ance says:

speeds,

I wouldn’t trade this year’s 1st but I would trade next year’s first as long as it was lottery protected. The transaction I would aim for is the 2019 1st, Lucic in return for a 2018 or 2019 3rd rounder.

The $6 million in cap room would give us room to grab a higher end UFA or even put in an RFA offer sheet if our GM would be creative or desperate enough to go that route.

145. OriginalPouzar says:

Stuart Skinner stays hot – stops 39 of 41 in a 3-2 win!

Broncos take game 1.

146. theboyfromsouthdetroit says:

Dammit.

I’m 9% sure I missed a digit there.

147. Andy Dufresne says:

Lowetide: I didn’t mention Russell, that’s a conversation you are having with others. I think the Sekera buyout is ill advised and PC would rightly be trashed for it. However, it would be less harmful to the future than trading Klefbom (as a for instance).

For me these conversations start to get interesting when we force ourselves to think about some of the tougher/perhaps more painful scenarios.

Thank you for positioning some of the alternatives for trading out to aquire needed assets.

The reality is, that for a certain population anything Chiarelli does is going to get trashed (which is fine). But if we can move beyond that and look at some of the tougher/less obvious scenarios…it gets more interesting IMO.

This is the Cap Era. Would you accept a Sekera buyout if the cap space was used to procure John Carlson at $6.5million x5??

If you wouldnt move Klefbom to get Barrie…….because you want desperatley to keep Klefbom…Would you give up the 9OV to get Faulk? Knowing that allows us to upgrade 2RHD and keep Klef? Would you be willing to lose the trade?? Move 9OV and Benning (More?) to get Faulk AND to keep Klef.

I think its unlikely Klefbomb moves but if you squint and look at it sideways

1) Klef contract has big value in trade market
    2) Klef not a Chia type
    3) Nurse is a Chia type
    4) Klef a lefty
    5) Org on record at every level…as going after a 2RHD
    6) Mgt plays Klef after being eliminated from playoffs to show GM’s look, hes fine, surgery is optional.
    7) Then shut him down so he can get the minor surgery and they can announce look surgery was successful.
    8) Trading Klef allow you to keep the 9OV pick

While not likely to happen……it is still a distinct possiblity. These decisions are almost NEVER the result of binary factors….THIS so THAT…..but a conglomeration of factors some of them circumstantial in nature.

So forced to make a hard choice….

1) Klef for someone……Barrie? other
    2) A deal that gets us a 2RHD PPman without moving Klef…….Faulk for 9OV? 9OV+Benning?
    3) Buyout Sekera….Sign Free Agent?……John Carlson? Other?

Of course there is a 4th option
    4) FInd a stop gap 2RHD ……Tanev? Example: Johnthan Willis likes Cody Franson as a stop gap.

But to me all of the evidence suggests 4 is highly unlikely. (doesnt mean 4 is wrong)
    But 1,2,3 represent the harder decisions.

Order of likelyhood IMO
    2, 1, 4, 3

148. Andy Dufresne says:

Ryan:

Even when I keep the “ribs” short he still hates them, whether drinking Whiskey or Vodka.

Peace Out.