Saturday morning confusion

The 2006 draft gifted the Boston Bruins a brilliant cluster of talent (Phil Kessel, Brad Marchand, Milan Lucic) and added three quality wingers for previously drafted centers Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci. There’s more than one way to build a railroad, but I think we can draw a parallel between Boston 12 years ago and the Oilers today. Edmonton boasts two fabulous centermen (Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl) and are looking for matching wingers. You and I can yell from the rooftops that the answers are JP and KY, but life (and hockey) doesn’t work that way. This year’s draft could be a key for this organization and it all starts at No. 10 overall.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great playoff special! Try The Athletic on for size free and see if they enjoy the in-depth, ad-free coverage on the site. Offer is here.

2018 TOP 10 MOCK

1. Buffalo Sabres: LD Rasmus Dahlin, Frolunda (SHL).
  2. Carolina Hurricanes: R Andrei Svechnikov, Barrie Colts (OHL)
  3. Montreal Canadiens: L Filip Zadina, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL).
  4. Ottawa Senators: L Brady Tkachuk, Boston University (NCAA).
  5. Arizona Coyotes: RC Oliver Wahlstrom, U.S. N. D. P. (USHL).
  6. Detroit Red Wings: RD Evan Bouchard, London Knights (OHL).
  7. Vancouver Canucks:  RD Adam Boqvist, Brynas (SuperElite).
  8. Chicago Blackhawks: LC Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Assat (Sm-Liiga).
  9. New York Rangers:  LD Quinn Hughes, Michigan (NCAA)
  10. Edmonton Oilers: LD Ty Smith, Spokane Chiefs (WHL)

2018 OILERS MOCK

• First Round—No. 10 overall—LD Ty Smith, Spokane Chiefs (WHL). The item I wrote for The Athletic yesterday includes math and saw him good endorsements. I’m on an island with this player but that’s happened before (good and bad) and if the draft rolls out this way it’ll come down to Farabee, Dobson or Smith in my opinion. The analytics show a quality prospect.
  • Second Round—No. 40 overall—R Jonatan Berggren, Skelleftea (SuperElite)All of the cats who had a big U18’s are going to be moving up everyone’s board, so it’s important to remember some of these guys are real and some are not real. I like this player because—like Farabee—Berggren has a range of skills. Undersized, skilled and smart.
  • Third Round—No. 71 overall— LC David Gustafsson, HV71 (SHL). Courtesy Swedish Poster: Had a strong season as an SHL regular, which in itself is a feat, especially considering he held a spot as an actual center, put up 12 pts in 45 games which is solid for a 17 year old in that league. Very defensively responsible for such a young player, good playmaking center but won’t make the spectacular play, not the most dazzling hands but really good puck control and strong on the puck not very dynamic and needs to up his skating, works really hard on the ice. Think he’s been captain for several of his junior teams.
  • Fourth Round—No. 102 overall (Oilers acquired goaltender Al Montoya from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for a conditional fourth-round pick in 2018. Montoya covered the condition).
  • Fifth Round—No. 133 overall—L Michal Kvasnica, Ocelari Trinec (Czech)Smart two-way winger.
  • Sixth Round—No. 164 overall—L Ivan Kosorenkov, Victoriaville Tigres (QMJHL). Offensive winger from Russia, average in size but a 34-goal score in 2016-17. Scored 36 this season.
  • Seventh Round—No. 195 overall—G Vincent Purpura, Omaha (USHL). Hugh goalie, .916SP, off to Boston College eventually. Fits Oilers at this position because he is a draft and follow (heading to college 2019).

TRADING UP TO NO. 2 OVERALL

Apparently Carolina’s new owner (Crazy Joe Davola) has the Hurricanes entertaining trade ideas involving No. 2 overall (Source). If this is so, Edmonton would be wise to pursue a deal. Carolina would be crazy (Joe Davola) to do it, because the guy they would be drafting should turn into a dynamic, 200-foot player. The Hurricanes lack that kind of forward, and he’s right there. Edmonton could slide him onto one of their top two lines and consider themselves fortunate for the next dozen years. At what cost? No idea.

Swift Current lost last night, 2-1 to Hart’s club. Skinner stopped 23 and allowed two goals. No one is going to argue Skinner is the same range of prospect as Hart but he had a very nice spike in performance when heading over to the Broncos late in the season. Skinner is a good prospect, we shouldn’t project him beyond that plateau. Still, it’s nice to have one goalie in the system post career numbers in 2017-18.

There are certain advantages to being old, one of which is you have trunks of memories (hat tip Neil Young) gone down and to come. If Manny Viveiros had Manny Viveiros mid-80’s on his power play I think he’d be an excellent power-play coach. I think he might be a solid choice for Edmonton’s PP coach. With Jay Woodcroft heading to the coast, rumors have Manny (whenever I hear that name I think of the movie Runaway Train) Viveiros doing just that thing. If they also grab Trent Yawney, they’d have much of northern Saskatchewan’s mid-80’s WHL defense surrounded. I like the names being dropped right now. This should be interesting.

COLLISION COURSE

We’re on a collision course with a quiet, around the edges summer or another late June deal that sees part of the young cluster sent away. Oscar Klefbom is the obvious one, don’t think Nuge is going. Are they going to find someone for one of the NMC’s? I can’t see an easy way out of this cask of Amontillado PC has created.

164 Responses to "Saturday morning confusion"

1. Colieo87 says:

Edmonton bleeds value. Horcoff. Hemskey cogs, passani,

2. slopitch says:

Interesting. I think the cost would be JP + Jones. 10 + 40, perhaps works for us but if they are moving a pick I think they’d want immediate help. Is it possible Chai doesn’t want to resignTalbot after last year? I suspect that’s not the case, better to decide after this year and we have no internal solutions. Interesting. I think boring summer + a solid draft is the way to go but adding svechnikov to RW is fun to consider.

3. dustrock says:

LT I’ve been on the Smith train as well thanks to you and Kournianos.

When Mitch from the Athletic was digging into some of the stats what caught my eye is that Smith was in the 98th percentile for zone entries AND opposing team zone entries. He can defend the NZ.

Whereas Bouchard is in the 98th percentile for zone entries but the 4th(!) percentile for defending opposing zone entries and that sums up my worry for Bouchard in the bigs.

Some talk about Smith being similar to Kris Russell in junior but man he’s a way better transition player and skater.

Highest 5v5 points in the WHL in the last 16 years over guys like Seth Jones, Provorov and Rielly.

Feel like he’s being pushed down more than any other prospect around the top 10.

Also captain of the U-18 squad and WHL scholastic player of the year if you care about intangibles.

4. dustrock says:

Also looking for the next Lander with Gustaffson? 😉

5. Ben says:

Russell and 10 for Hamilton puhleeeez.

6. stevebergeron97 says:

Does #10, #40, and KY or JP get the #2 overall?

7. Bryan says:

I would have to say that trusting Chiarelli to make a deal involving the 2nd pick is just a little too scary. I can think of a lot of different directions that deal could go and none of them sound good. He should just keep the car idling in the parking lot and let Gretzky make the picks and then get out of town.

8. tarvbc says:

Im hoping for a summer that brings in one support veteran. When i say that i mwan the Adam Oates, Mike Peca, Petr Sykora kind of players. Guys that have been in the league forever, At the tail end of their careers but could post a couple good seasons here. Go out and find a Justin Williams for McD and Nuge. This team isnt far away from being great. As for D, not to sure what options are out there for real but there will need to be an upgrade. Keep Klef, try and find a taker for Sekera or Russell or package Benning in a bigger deal. Cant keep the same 6 guys that looked pretty shaky all season long. If there is a position that needs immidiate upgrade i still think it is on D for this team. Oilers need to find speed and in bunches. The New NHL is upond the horizon and it is full of players like Braydon Point, Timo Meier, Tory Krug, Viktor Arvidsson. These players that can bip around the ice and make plays at full speed with their eyes closed are going to be the players hoisting the stanley with Connor.

LT,

With Pak and slepy leaving remind me why Charielli let Pitlick go ? If it was because he was to expensive then thats a weak arguement considering we traded Eberle + 6mil for cap space. Pitlick would sure look good right about now.

9. jtblack says:

PC had a chance to follow the CHI & PIT model. Both teams ammassed major talent and had the Superstar come as the last piece (KANE & CROZ). Oilers had loads of talent in place when McD was selected and with 24 months of patience, they could have been a Super team.

As soon as PC moved #16 & #33 ; & Traded #4 That ship sailed.

So now the only hope is to pick more pieces AFTER McD has arrived (A la your BOS example).

Lets hope PC can pick an impact player at #10OV & find a gem in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Paying a 4th rounder for a backup goalie who played 8 games was silly. Season was lost by then. waste of another asset. Bleed Peter Bleed.

10. tarvbc says:

Woodguy, if your listening.

Ive read that you are 100% against trading for Faulk from Carolina (RHD) cause he has poor underlying numbers. Can I ask you why wouldnt you give him a chance here? Carolina hasnt been a model of consistency latly and teams like that bleed actual NHLers all the time. Hell we ran Schultz out of town cause he was a bum and when he arrived at a steady team they put him in a spot to succeed and now he has two cup rings. Im sure his numbers here were horrible but got better once he arrived in Pitts. Has there been other Dman that have had bad numbers on 1 team but imrooved when traded to another team? When their new coach changes the players usuage and they strive making them look like a completely different player.

11. Woogie63 says:

stevebergeron97:
    Does #10, #40, and KY or JP get the #2 overall?

Is your question does

2016 #4
    2017 #22
    2018 #10
    2018 #40

Get you the 2018 #2?

Why would we do that?

12. jtblack says:

tarvbc,

“When their new coach changes the players usuage and they strive making them look like a completely different player.”..

Faulk is playing 2RHD in CAR. We cant hide him anymore than that. We need him to play 2RHD in EDM. WG has shown his nunbers are poor based on REL & WOWY.

As WG would say, he gives up more than he gets; for the last 3 years.

There is always a chance a player can turn things around, but you have to play the odds The odds are he is not and won’t be the D man he was 4 years ago.

13. Oilin4 says:

Hey LT. I like your argument about Smith but why so you think a team should walk away from Dobson?

14. The Trade Guy says:

I’m onboard with Ty Smith as well. He, like RNH, was the top pick in the Bantam draft, and while that doesn’t mean he’s the best player, it does imply a long track record of being recognized as a top player and I think those guys typically have a high floor.

I’m a fan of the Oilers getting a supporting cast of players with high floors even if the ceilings don’t go much higher.

15. tarvbc says:

jtblack,

Fair enough I agree with all that. So if he has bad odds of being a better player and Carolina (who has been a tire fire for most of my adult life) wants to get rid of him, could we not obtain him for a cheap cost without involving Nuge or Klef ? (100% don’t want to get rid of anything substantial for him) me personally views him as an NHL dman with warts. No difference than Schultz and if we can get him plus his very modest cap hit for pennies on the dollar (seems like we are always bleeding that talent for nothing instead of adding that talent) I’d take it. We need a shake up and can’t afford giving up talent for futures at this point. Would we be upset if it was Jones + a draft pick for him ? I wouldn’t

Nurse Lars
    Klef Russell
    Sekera Faulk

With Sekera and Russell exiting this team in near future and if Faulk is so god damn awful we could dump him.

I think this team needs to go to the discount bin and find a treasure. I don’t see many upgrades for this team without giving up an arm, a leg, and a first born son.

16. The Trade Guy says:

I should add that Tyler Benson was another top bantam pick. Another potentially high floor player.

17. flyfish1168 says:

I will be very angry at PC if he trades Oscar. A healthy Oscar and another year of experience he is now coming into his prime. Most moves after considering his CAP hit and if we need to package him will look more like a lateral move. Lots of talk about Justin Faulk. Someone on a slippery slope and Oscar coming into his prime. This is an example of a trade we look desperate and bleeding talent again.

To me, it is obvious PC needs to deal one of the 3 Stupid contracts he signed. These NMC contracts show he had no foresight when there was so much talk of an expansion team coming. He needed to be mindful of this and he showed his carelessness along with lack of self-control.

18. who says:

tarvbc:
    jtblack,

Nurse Lars
    Klef Russell
    Sekera Faulk

I think the question you are asking, given your prospective lineup, is should the Oilers do Benning for Faulk?

19. digger50 says:

I enjoyed McCurdy’s article about three Europeans leaving town.

It seems we are focused on the #10 pick and making improvements to find a top winger or 2RHD.

Perhaps the focus should be on rebuilding the bottom 6?

Pakarinen, Sleppy, Letestu, Auvitu, Maroon, Camallari
    Who else is going? Strome? Kassian?

Are we to believe Pontus, Rattie, Malone, Caggiula are going to get it done?

This is looking quite poor actually. How could we be in such bad shape? And how are they going to strengthen the bottom end of the roster?

20. Bryan says:

I would compare allowing Slepyshev to slip away to silently watching Pitlick leave town. The team develops these players over a number of years and then after the time and expense invested and just as they are ready to become solid role players with perhaps spurts of top six play they are bid adieu. Strange asset management.

Oilin4:

22. Connoreah says:

Who is the comparable for Svechnikov? Tarasenko? Ovechkin? Kucherov? Someone else?

If the Oilers do chase Svechnikov at #2, would any of these be in the ballpark and if so, which would you prefer?

a) Nurse and #10
    b) Klefbom and #10
    c) Puljujarvi and #10
    d) Yamo, #10 and the 2019 3rd rounder

My sense is that we would try to move one of the LD which would give us a top 6 in 2019-20 of McDavid, Draisaitl, Svechnikov, Puljujarvi, Yamomoto and Nugent-Hopkins, while still running Nurse/Klefbom and Sekera as 1LD and 2LD (with Jones emerging).

23. Scungilli Slushy says:

stevebergeron97:
    Does #10, #40, and KY or JP get the #2 overall?

It depends on the urgency in Carolina. I think it’s high. Impatient owner, money IMO will be an issue for him. He’s not going to want to lose money, that’s not how he got wealthy. So draft and wait might not interest him. He may also not know much about the draft and who he’s giving up.

Others might have a better idea, but it seems the Canes need a goalie, an established C with more offense and a RW.

They have tried to move Skinner, want to move Faulk. I can see a deal there, even a larger one. The exchange depends what the Oilers value and what they value.

I think Svech is the better player of he, Yama and JP, and will likely play next season. I think he has more offensive upside than Nuge as well, his junior rates were massive. Very likely an impact player here, risky but I’d do it.

24. flyfish1168 says:

Connoreah:

a) Nurse and #10
    b) Klefbom and#10
    c) Puljujarvi and #10
    d) Yamo, #10 and the 2019 3rd rounder

None because Andrei Svechnikov has not played an NHL season yet. Does his style and will he be able to translate his game to the NHL? These need to be answered. Nurse and Klefblom are proven NHL players.

25. Zav19 says:

What’s funny is that nobody is criticizing losing Osterle and Pitlick for nothing. Both guys are built for the new NHL and we let them walk for the same price we just signed a back up goalie

26. JimmyV1965 says:

tarvbc:
    jtblack,

Nurse Lars
    Klef Russell
    Sekera Faulk

Totally agree with this. I would trade for Faulk in a heartbeat. Everything isn’t always black and white and we can’t always rely on numbers to inform the entire decision. The last time we played the Canes, Faulk was absolutely horrible. He had clearly checked out and was going through the motions. We should know first hand how a steady diet of losing impacts a player. For me, I would trade the 10OV for Faulk and a pick later in the first, but they don’t have one. I wouldn’t give up Nuge or Klef for him.

27. limit says:

Yeah Svech has size speed skill shot smarts to translate but he seeing him live he is still a young kid so wouldn’t mind leaving him outside NHL to let him develop under Hawerchuk

David Gustafsson a monster at faceoffs, what we need with McD, Nuge, Strome, Khaira all sub 500

Zav19:

Oilers were a bit unlucky in that both men would have been RFA’s but Pitlick’s injury left him as a UFA instead. Dallas offered three years, with his injury history you could make a case for passing on that deal. I do think the Oilers probably could have retained him if they had matched and it looks like a bad move today.

As for Oesterle, if I’m the player and agent no damn way I’m coming back to Edmonton. The Oilers leftorium would have had him in Bakersfield in 17-18 and beyond.

29. Zav19 says:

The Oilers don’t need Svechnikov they need a player like Tkachuk yo play on the second line with Leon. He would be perfect guy to help out on the pp as well because he has great hands and will actually stand in front of the goalie unlike the big pilon Lucic!!

30. slopitch says:

Sekera has ties to Carolina and played very well there. I wonder if we could include him in a deal to start improving the cap situation.

Unrelated – Is Pouliots cap hit tradeable?

31. leadfarmer says:

So many draft picks have been wasted on good in the room and future captain material. Defensively responsible but needs to work on skating. NEXT!!!!!

32. rickithebear says:

The question we need to ask is in any goal sport.

Is it easier to outscore (1 Goal more)
    1,2, 3 goals against.
    Or
    2,3,4 goals against.

League average EVGA is 2.30-2.35 year to year.

Bottom 30 HD dmen are around 3.00 + EVGA year to year.
    These guys make your team a 2,3,4 ga team.

This has been obvious for 12 years!

You guys might want to look at goal scoring from the oilers forwards last year and compare them to WC teams.

Thier is no Goal dif justification for these god awful def dmen.

Analyze the game!
    Goal Diff!

Can our team outscore poor HD defence?

Once in 12 years!

33. speeds says:

Would you trade Draisaitl for 2OV?

*edit to add* Not necessarily one for one, but would you include him depending on the deal?

34. Doug McLachlan says:

Connoreah,

I see the Canes looking at a trade down (to #3 so they can pair Necas with Zadina) or for JP to pair with Aho.

Love, love, love Puljujarvi but would trade him for Svechnikov in a heartbeat.

You do not need to add the #10 unless the plan is to trade for Faulk AND the 2nd.

35. leadfarmer says:

Zav19:

You would pick Tkachuk over svechnilov? Alrighty then

36. leadfarmer says:

Doug McLachlan:
    Connoreah,

Love, love, love Puljujarvi but would trade him for Svechnikov in a heartbeat.

Why would the Canes do that? I don’t see them moving that pick short of Draisatl coming back as a return

37. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear,

Yes but all the dmen you always like don’t outscore squat. They are good HD dmen than are a black hole everywhere else on the ice. Teams sports require players to play as a team. When your HD dmen only play in one zone and only thing they do in that zone is defend the area right in front of the goalie well then they are not playing a team sport. Analyze the game!!

38. dustrock says:

You guys Svechnikov is scoring essentially at McDavid rates and in fact his goal scoring is better.

He was scoring at almost a goal per game – not a point per game.

If you can get him without selling half the team I absolutely do it.

Klefbom or Nurse and the 10th I absolutely do it without any hesitation.

Then I try to draft Merkley or Addison.

39. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear,

Vegas is not going to the conference final because the year are a good box protection team (even though they are pretty good) they are going because they play the game so much faster than their opposition despite their slow box protection D. Same could be said about Lightning.
    The name of the game is speed speed speed. Not box protection and up the boards and out and safe D-d passes. Analyze the game!!!!

40. Zav19 says:

I am not saying Tkachuk is better then Svechnikov. I def think he would be a better fit for the Oilers though.

41. jtblack says:

tarvbc:
    jtblack,

Nurse Lars
    Klef Russell
    Sekera Faulk

Yes, the key is IF we can get him for a low cost Then I am in. Something tells me OVERPAY Pete would pay too much

42. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear,

How many times do the Penguins have to win the cup? How many series does Vegas have to win against big box protection teams for you to give up on your dated analysis of the league. All 5 players have to play together on the ice. Dmen need to get the puck up to their forwards with speed and then contribute in the offensive zone and not have one foot across the line just in case. Dmen that stop rushes but then give up the puck with an up the boards and outplay are always defending and are next to worthless in this league hence lack of employment of the Ricki dmen Gryba Faynes Nikitins

43. supernova says:

LT

Couple notes or thoughts

1) wonder if Guy Fleming or someone similar is avaible to talk Lethbridge System versus Swift Current System for Skinner.

Skinner isn’t in the same tier as Hart but for me I wonder if he is Dubnyk range or Keumper.

My understanding of the Lethbridge System was they had a lack of talent and played “Overload” or as Oilers fans recall “Swarm”, this can be effective and it’s often seen in Junior but also allows a lot of High Dangers or odd man’s.

2) keep an eye on Peter Anholt when we talk about talent evaluators

He is a long time WHL coach but perhaps miscast and has done a very good job so far as Scout / GM in Lethbridge

44. Richard S.S. says:

Trading with Carolina only works if something matches, Carolina needs a lot and money is an issue.
    They need an established C with good offense, but don’t most Teams need one too?
    They need a quality RW, but so do the Oilers, badly.
    They need a proven Goalie and they are not alone.
    The Oilers might not have what Carolina wants but they cetainly don’t have what they need.

45. cowboy bill says:

Hey Lowtide ! You’ve already eluded to the fact Oilers should draft forwards . Why would they draft Ty Smith , who is another LHD . Is he really any better than Caleb Jones ? At least Dobson is a RHD . But would he really be any better than Ethan Bear ?

46. Zav19 says:

I think trading Draisaitl for the second pick would be bad move. He is a number 1 Center on most teams and you don’t normally trade center of his caliber for a winger

47. Wilde says:

I’ll be absolutely thrilled if it comes down to Smith or Farabee on the Oilers list.

The absurd GF% numbers and others posted in your Ty Smith article don’t come as a surprise to me after watching that last half of Spokane’s season.

When Smith was on the ice with the J.A. Dolan line, they tilted the ice in Olympic table-flipping fashion.

stevebergeron97:
    Does #10, #40, and KY or JP get the #2 overall?

No. Leon Draisaitl will.

49. Brantford Boy says:

cowboy bill,

It’ ok, LT does this (I know what he’s up to), its a carousel choice for the blog, tomorrow’s post he’ll have Dobson in at #10…

tarvbc:
    Im hoping for a summer that brings in one support veteran. When i say that i mwan the Adam Oates, Mike Peca, Petr Sykora kind of players. Guys that have been in the league forever, At the tail end of theircareers but could post a couple good seasons here. Go out and find a Justin Williams for McD and Nuge. This team isnt far away from being great. As for D, not to sure what options are out there for real but there will need to be an upgrade. Keep Klef, try and find a taker for Sekera or Russell or package Benning in a bigger deal. Cant keep the same 6 guys that lookedpretty shaky all season long. If there is a position that needs immidiate upgrade i still think it is on D for this team. Oilers need to find speed andin bunches. The New NHL is upond the horizon and it is full of players like Braydon Point, Timo Meier, Tory Krug, Viktor Arvidsson. These players that can bip around the ice and make plays at full speed with their eyes closed are going to be the players hoisting the stanley with Connor.

LT,

Pitlick is playing 4th line RW and a little 3rd for 50% of Kassian’s salary on a three year deal at $1 million per. Tyler Pitlick on a 15 goal per season pace over the last two years. Kassian on a 7 goal per season pace for the last two seasons.

McLellan should be fired for choosing Kassian over PItlick. One of several reasons.

51. Doug McLachlan says:

leadfarmer: Why would the Canes do that?I don’t see them moving that pick short of Draisatl coming back as a return

52. Scungilli Slushy says:

speeds: speed

I’d trade anybody but McD (because you can’t get value for him) to get better and more balanced, for Drai it has to be a King’s ransom.

#2, Necas and more.

* would require taking salary back of course.

Connoreah:

a) Nurse and #10
    b) Klefbom and#10
    c) Puljujarvi and #10
    d) Yamo, #10 and the 2019 3rd rounder

Carolina doesn’t need defensemen.

If you are talking about the #2, the talk starts with Draisaitl. #2 and Faulk for Draisaitl. Carolina might do that.

54. jtblack says:

godot10,

Are we moving Drai out simply for $$?

I dont understand why PC would sign a guy for 8 years and then look to move that player after 1 year? Cant see it happening. And I want to keep Drai I believe he has more to give. Hes young. Give him 2 / 3 more years and he should (could) be dominant.

slopitch:

Unrelated – Is Pouliots cap hit tradeable?

Carolina’s left D is Slavin, Hanifin, Fleury, and Jake Bean and I’m probably missing a guy. It is their strongest position grouping.

56. speeds says:

Doug McLachlan: So the owner who won’t pay $500K for a GM wants to pay Drai $8.5M. No evidence he would do this but if he were, I’d offer the 2nd to Buffalo for ROR.

Draisaitl is 5 yrs younger and signed for 2 more years. he makes 1 M more, but of the 2, my guess is most would prefer LD.

Also, my guess is general manager pay is viewed differently from player pay.

57. Scungilli Slushy says:

jtblack:
    godot10,

Are we moving Drai out simply for $$?

I dont understand why PC would sign a guy for 8 years and then look to move that player after 1 year?Cant see it happening.And I want to keep DraiI believe he has more to give. Hes young. Give him 2 / 3 more years and he should (could) be dominant.

I doubt he wants to.

speeds:
    Would you trade Draisaitl for 2OV?

McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins, Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse is the core I build around. With that core, one is just a good GM and a good coach away from contending quickly.

59. jtblack says:

We know what Drai is …. and he still might (should) become Better all around. Hes coming off 77 & 70 point seasons.

Moving him for an unproven prospect is Crazy. What if the #2 turns out like Nail Yakupov or Dylan Strome? There is that risk. And it would kill the franchise.

Draft Good Players. KEEP Good Players.

60. John Chambers says:

speeds:
    Would you trade Draisaitl for 2OV?

Draisaitl is a true #1 Centre, and perhaps his ceriling is Kopitar / Getzlaf.

If we weren’t in a desperate cap pressure situation I would say no, but like Godot is suggesting, if PC can trade, say, Draisatil, Lucic, Benning, and #10 OV for Faulk, Rask, and #2 OV, then I think it helps solve problems for both teams.

Oilers would likely need to retain salary, but that type of deal would deliver balance.

Carollina needs scoring/finishing. There centres are actually more than fine if one gives them an elite winger like Svechnikov.

Carolina’s main need is someone who can score goals, and a two goaltenders. And they need to trade Faulk to free up money to pay Hanifin.

Svechnikov is like manna from heaven.

62. Scungilli Slushy says:

jtblack:
    We know what Drai is …. and he still might (should) become Better all around.Hes coming off 77 & 70 point seasons.

Moving him for an unproven prospect is Crazy. What if the #2 turns out like Nail Yakupov or Dylan Strome?There is that risk. And it would kill the franchise.

Draft Good Players. KEEP Good Players.

It would be very risky. Drai was drafted to play a game that’s disappearing. I have concerns that his heavy legs might curtail some of his potential offense in the future, and he hasn’t established at centre close to the level at Connor’s wing.

He could produce more or he could plateau where he is as the game gets faster and protecting pucks on the boards becomes less a part of the game.

It depends how good you think Svech will be, and whether Nuge is enough at 2C, or if ROR can be acquired (I think he’s gone from the Buffalos after his Hall like comment). As a new GM that’s not and attitude I’d want around the young guys.

63. Wilde says:

John Chambers,

I don’t know if that’s realistic at all

jtblack:
    godot10,

Are we moving Drai out simply for $$?

I’m not trading Draisaitl. I am opposed to trading Draisaitl. I’m just trying to rebut the nonsense that prospects and draft picks (i.e. magic beans) with get you the #2OV pick like some are suggesting.

65. Wilde says:

Every time I’m digging for comparables for draft eligible under-the-radar picks, the guys from years past have been drafted by the fucking Jets or Lightning in the 6th round despite being a top 10 most efficient scorer in their league.

66. bendelson says:

Great read LT. Referencing both, crazy Joe Dalova and the Cask of Amontillado? You’re ‘all over the map’ wonderful.

Personally, I’m still leaning towards Kotkaniemi, but see Ty Smith as a fair choice and the most likely outcome with the Oilers picking at #10.

Have a great Saturday, folks!

67. jfry says:

Gustaffson sure reads like Lander 2.0

68. leadfarmer says:

Doug McLachlan,

ROR is not worth a franchise player

69. who says:

So basically you are saying you would trade Drai for OReily?
    No thank you.

70. leadfarmer says:

Doug McLachlan,

I’m sure he would. The world is going to go nuts when they see the contracts in this offseason.
    Plus addition of Drai makes them a playoff team with higher in season revenue plus playoff revenue and would more than pay for the contract

71. leadfarmer says:

jfry:
    Gustaffson sure reads like Lander 2.0

But it’s ok cause it’s only a third round pick we are lighting on fire this time

72. ntrprtr says:

I spent 15 years as a referee in St Albert back in the 70’s and 80’s (yikes!) and I had the pleasure of watching and interacting with Emanuel Viveiros often. He was, even at a young age, always of outstanding character as well as an excellent hockey player. I believe that the Oilers, or any other NHL organization, would be adding a valuable asset if they were to hire Manny as an NHL assistant coach or an AHL bench boss.

73. Biggus Dickus says:

Who knows what Carolina is doing. I also tend to think that they might not be off base on the GM thing. There is no reason your GM should be micromanaging scouts, coaches, etc. His job should easily be filled by an outsider. If that gives Carolina money to up their payroll, I’m all for it.

Majority of NBA GMs didn’t play past college hoops, if at all. It isn’t commonplace in the NFL either, which is a much more difficult sport in terms of X’s and O’s. I also like that it makes things a lot more cutthroat, because the GM won’t have the same old tired biases. He will easily see scouts who are incapable of identifying good players. As opposed to agreeing with them that GR was can’t miss, and not holding people accountable.

Back to my point. I don’t think Carolina has done anything yet to put them in stupid territory, but we can put them in wild card territory.

74. Bruce McCurdy says:

Justin Faulk had 12 even strength points this year. 12.

He posted a huge minus yet again & he is now -109 on his career. Obviously, team effects, but he has been on that team for years & hasn’t been a big difference maker, let’s put it that way.

I have had him in my keeper league the entire time (ditching him this summer) so on those occasions I see Carolina — admittedly, rarely — I do watch Faulk & he is to my eye a defensive tire fire. Pretty sure the verb wuld go for jultzing to faulking in a quick hurry. As in, “what the hell kind of faulking play was that?!”

I also have had Draisaitl in the same keeper league for his whole career and have watched him a lot. No way do I trade that guy. 22 years old, back to back 70 point seasons, big powerful puck control pivot capable of playing wing. To my mind you don’t hit a #3 out of the park, groom him for 4 years, & then tade him for a winger-only with 0 NHL experience.

75. LadiesloveSmid says:

Like Lander wasn’t a good pick at the time. Rushed to the NHL at 20, got dick for ice time for half of the lockout season.

Not to mention the most pertinent point that Gustafsson is a different person and will develop entirely different. Would be a great bet at 71 IMO

76. leadfarmer says:

LadiesloveSmid,

The Detroit model of drafting is only useful when you use it. Shoot for the moon with each pick. That means now get forwards with speed and skill. If they are elite in either of these give them a huge bump. Picking a safe defensively responsible may become a 4th liner in the top 100 is not smart drafting in my view

77. rickithebear says:

leadfarmer:
    rickithebear,

Yes but all the dmen you always like don’t outscore squat.They are good HD dmen than are a black hole everywhere else on the ice. Teams sports require players to play as a team.When your HD dmen only play in one zone and only thing they do in that zone is defend the area right in front of the goalie well then they are not playing a team sport.Analyze the game!!

That were your thinking is flawed.

Dmen are 4 times less efficient at generating even offence than forwards.

The 10-15 that do generate even offence are fucking nightmares at even ga.

You do not compare D vs D

You compare d abondoning defence to take a fwd structure position
    Off D vs Fwd.

How do you not fucking recognize that?

You believe abandoning defensive area to yield 125% more GA than the best HD dmen to achieve 4 times less GF than forwards is brilliant use of pocession.

Holy is that the dumbest thought process of all the sports I analyze. The worst! Football, soccer, handball, rugby, downhill skiing.

Quit honestly how flawed do you have to be to think that off dmen generate enough offence to justify the possible 200% negative goal dif affect.

200%

Crazy!

Dmen get the forwards who are 4 times better at even goal production the damn puck as quick as possible.

Eva from your d would be what you want.

Same mantra from me for 10 years.
    EVA!

78. Biggus Dickus says:

leadfarmer:
    LadiesloveSmid,

The Detroit model of drafting is only useful when you use it.Shoot for the moon with each pick.That means now get forwards with speed and skill.If they are elite in either of these give them a huge bump.Picking a safe defensively responsible may become a 4th liner in the top 100 is not smart drafting in my view

I think there is a range. The second round of 2009 wasn’t murderers row, especially immediately following Lander. I still think he could have been a very useful player in another org. Other players like Travis Ewanyk were utterly stupid.

It is scary when defense, toughness, etc are mentioned first in a scouting report. It’s the reason I was so afraid of Nurse. I think there is more nuance than we see most of the time.

79. commonfan29 says:

Biggus Dickus,

If the Oil had axed Chia and TMac, I’d have been 100% on-board with Katz plucking an up and coming MLB exec as GM and looking to the NFL fora Head Coach.

Down with hockey men.

80. --hudson-- says:

Wilde:

The Jets have been doing amazing, 7 straight years of crushing their first round pick with lots of depth throughout the rest of the draft.

Tampa on the other hand has not had the same fortune with their first round picks. Koekkoek at 10, Drouin at 3, DeAngelo at 19. Cal Foote and Brett Howden seem to be tracking well and of course lots of depth in the late rounds.

81. Scungilli Slushy says:

dustrock:

He was scoring at almost a goal per game – not a point per game.

If you can get him without selling half the team I absolutely do it.

Klefbom or Nurse and the 10th I absolutely do it without any hesitation.

Then I try to draft Merkley or Addison.

For me this is key. We don’t see many big trades these days, and perhaps that’s why many teams get stuck in mud.

If you have a chance at a game breaking elite player and the ask is a second tier good player that is a risk to strongly consider. To me Klefbom isn’t actually established, Nuge is not elite and Drai hasn’t established as better than a good top level player.

Svech’s skill set and scoring don’t suggest Yak, they suggest a winger pushing Connor for the scoring title.

PC hasn’t shown the acumen to see a competitor potentially make a big mistake and jumping on it, he’s been the goat.

He could change his fortunes and his team’s with some smartly applied bravery. Sather style. Or maybe it backfires. For the right players I’d risk it.

82. OriginalPouzar says:

tarvbc:
    Woodguy, if your listening.

Ive read that you are 100% against trading for Faulk from Carolina (RHD) cause he has poor underlying numbers. Can I ask you why wouldnt you give him a chance here? Carolina hasnt been a model of consistency latly and teams like that bleed actual NHLers all the time. Hell we ran Schultz out of town cause he was a bum and when he arrived at a steady team they put him in a spot to succeed and now he has two cup rings. Im sure his numbers here were horrible but got better once he arrived in Pitts. Has there been other Dman that have had bad numbers on 1 team but imrooved when traded to another team?When their new coach changes the players usuage and they strive making them look like a completely different player.

Giving a player a chance is one thing but, in order to give this player a chance, we’d likely have to pay a very stiff acquisition cost. I think there is too much risk that this player doesn’t really work as an Oiler.

I find it very concerning when every other player paired with him always fairs worse that when they are not paired with him.

That combined with how awful he was in the times I saw him this year lead me to agree with WG – buyer beware (even without getting in to contract issues – 2 years until UFA payday).

83. rickithebear says:

As a GM do you pay 9 M for a off dman that gets +5 goal diff
    Or
    2.7m for HD dman that gets you +5 goal diff.

84. OriginalPouzar says:

Woogie63: Is your question does

2016 #4
    2017 #22
    2018 #10
    2018 #40

Get you the 2018 #2?

Why would we do that?

JP or Yamamoto – not both.

Svechnikov is on another tier from either of those guys – from all I’ve read and seen, this player is very probably to be elite very soon.

85. rickithebear says:

Detroit model is utter bull shit.

You value a player.
    You pick them before others.

Look at who they thought were better than datsyuk and explain to me what the f…… Detroit model is!

86. OriginalPouzar says:

flyfish1168:
    I will be very angry at PC if he trades Oscar. A healthy Oscar and another year of experience he is now coming into his prime. Most moves after considering his CAP hit and if we need to package him will look more like a lateral move.Lots of talk about Justin Faulk. Someone on a slippery slope and Oscar coming into his prime. This is an example of a trade we look desperate and bleeding talent again.

I hope you are not including Sekera in the “stupid contract” category. Injury aside, he is worth every cent of that contract – not its not value deal like Klefbom’s contract (when healthy) but, injury aside, he is arguably out best d-man – just as valuable as Klefbom and Larsson.

Of course, the potential that he is now no longer the same player changes thing but I don’t agree about the contract being “stupid”.

87. OriginalPouzar says:

Bryan:
    I would compare allowing Slepyshev to slip away to silently watching Pitlick leave town.The team develops these players over a number of years and then after the time and expense invested and just as they are ready to become solid role players with perhaps spurts of top six play they are bid adieu.Strange asset management.

I imagine the Oilers qualify Slepyshev and retain his rights – he very well could come back to the NHL after establishing himself a bit more at the “pro level”.

88. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear,

Your lack of understanding amazes me. The offense most defenseman generate do not count in statistics. They are the 3rd 4th 5th assist that does not count in point generation. It is the tape to tape pass out of the zone. It is the maintaining possession in the offensive zone. No one says that Faulk is a good defenseman and no one advocates abandoning the hd zone.
    Look there is a reason the league dumped the Bear defenseman. The whole league dumped them!!! It is not that you are smarter than them it’s because you are a decade behind the thinking in the league. You need three zone defensemen and not defensemen that can only play in a 10 foot box. League doesn’t want Faynes. League wants Theodore’s and Montours. So coming in here daily and insulting everyone makes you more wrong everyday

89. OriginalPouzar says:

I would like to have Pitlick on this team as well but I think there is a bit of revisionist history going on and I doubt many here would have been OK giving him a 3-year contract. Yes, almost fully buryable in the minors but, at the same time, it sets a precedent and comes with risk and takes up a contract on the 50 for the term.

Lets also not get too crazy with Pitlick and his performance – he had a hot start to the year (like he did last year before injury) but he did end the season with 27 points and 14 goals (one more than the “non-NHL player” that is Drake Caggulia.

90. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear:
    Detroit model is utter bull shit.

You value a player.
    You pick them before others.

Detroit model is place a bunch of shoot the moon bets. That means you are wrong a hell of a lot more than you are right but when you are right you got a player that you will never otherwise get. Sure people scoff at it and go. Huh if they are so great why did they miss so much. It’s not the guys you miss that’s important. It’s placing bets on guys that have a chance at being stars in the league. And that right now is putting bets on forwards with speed and skill and defensemen that can defend, skate and pass the puck

91. OriginalPouzar says:

Unrelated – Is Pouliots cap hit tradeable?

Interesting thought but, no.

92. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear:
    As a GM do you pay 9 M for a off dman that gets +5 goal diff
    Or
    2.7m for HD dman that gets you +5 goal diff.

The leadfarmer model has always been get 3 zone defensemen but make sure they are better in the neutral zone and dzone cause they don’t get paid for those.

93. Jethro Tull says:

rickithebear:
    Detroit model is utter bull shit.

You value a player.
    You pick them before others.

94. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar: JP or Yamamoto – not both.

I’d go for it.

95. rickithebear says:

Woodguy s underlying numbers?

It’s a calculator based on my HD theory.

If the guy who identifies the pocession and anslytic mechanism says
    That under The HD mechanism Faulk and Barrie are useless.
    they are useless.
    Or
    Ignore the calculator that is finally starting to slowly get close to what I have said for 10 years.

Christ educate yourself and laugh with me at some of the so called experts beating the Barrie and Faulk drum.

or me telling woodguy that he would finally get to observe what I already knew.

Accept the fact this same guy sys you are still well behind.
    Even in WOWY.

Though I think this is the area you can best advance analytics.
    But you must match variance to mechanism or it is a waste of time!

Just like your inaccurate and cap useless calculator.

96. OriginalPouzar says:

cowboy bill:

1) He’s a left shot D but plays the right side and feels more comfortable on the right side.

2) Leftie/rightie matters, definitely, but not with respect to making this pick as the d-man will be a few years away and we don’t know what our rightie/leftie balance will look like

3) Smith is just a junior prospect right now whereas Jones is an AHL prospect a few years older. Noone can say who “is better’, however, Ty Smith is about 4 tiers higher on draft day than Jones was. We are talking about a top 10 (or so) pick in a deep first round vs. a mid round pick that was Jones.

97. Scungilli Slushy says:

Jethro Tull: 100% with Ricki; the Red Wings won their own version of the lottery with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. The fact they did it twice convinced other teams they had draft mojo. They did not. They had arguably the best D man to ever play on their team.

Smart to look in Europe before others really did, super lucky, and also could sign any UFA they wanted for years. The slow development had to do with having a stacked team that contended, not much space for rookies.

98. rickithebear says:

Permutations from Binary exclusion and HD/Closed corsi are keys to WOWY variance.

99. OriginalPouzar says:

godot10: Pitlick is playing 4th line RW and a little 3rd for 50% of Kassian’s salary on a three year deal at $1 million per.Tyler Pitlick on a 15 goal per season pace over the last two years.Kassian on a 7 goal per season pace for the last two seasons.

McLellan should be fired for choosing Kassian over PItlick.One of several reasons.

Chiarelli makes the decision on player transactions not McLellan – sure the coach has a voice but the choice is that of the general manager.

100. OriginalPouzar says:

I’m a big fan of these High Definition d-men I keep reading about.

101. rickithebear says:

leadfarmer: But that is not the Ricki model. The ricki model is just some defenseman that has good box protection with zero regards to their net goal contribution.

You forget that fwds need to outscore the dmans.
    Which is +1 in a win.

Elite HD 1.8 or less.
    2-3 gf

Awful HD 2.75 or greater
    3-4 gf

You have to include the cost of increased forward goals. For shite HD dmen.

102. ArmchairGM says:

***************

I just wanted to clarify my position, because you and I have sparred on the topic. While I do not agree with ranking Smith at 4 or 5, I have absolutely no problem with the Oilers picking him at #10.

103. RonnieB says:

OriginalPouzar: He played almost the entire season with Radek Faksa as his center – 800 minutes – third line (actually Faksa was one point from being the second highest scoring center on the team).

Agreed.
    There are a myriad of legitimate reasons to criticize Chiarelli. Failing to offer a perennially injured Pitlick a 3-year contract before Dallas did isn’t one of them.

104. LadiesloveSmid says:

leadfarmer:
    LadiesloveSmid,

Gustafsson’s scoring as a 17 year old in a men’s league is quality, and he scored well in international tournaments. Lander wasn’t touted as an offence-less prospect, he just didn’t develop his skills enough post-draft day to become an impact NHLer.

105. slopitch says:

I’m warming up to Smith now. You guys are convincing me. I’ve been a Bouchard guy this whole time but now I don’t have a preference. Sounds like a future Ryan Ellis.

The oilers can take a step forward by winning a trade or 2 or by having a watershed draft. Given Chai’s history trading, I like just keeping the picks. The number of assets required to fix the bottom end of the roster is alarming. So much work to be done.

And no. Don’t trade Drai. Lordy.

106. OriginalPouzar says:

Sekera has a goal and an assist as Slovakia is up 2-1 through 40 min

107. tarvbc says:

jtblack,

That honestly made me laugh out loud “overpay Pete”. For the record I’m not banging on the drum saying Faulk will turn this team around. But I see him as an NHL player on the outs and maybe we could grab him for cheap. That’s the point I was trying to make.

108. OriginalPouzar says:

RonnieB: Agreed.

Its even less of a reason to criticize the coach, as the poster was doing – intentionally I believe.

109. Wilde says:

OriginalPouzar:
    I’m a big fan of these High Definition d-men I keep reading about.

Oh close your Corsi, OP.

110. RonnieB says:

OriginalPouzar,

Right. I missed the obvious there. I blame my elementary school teachers for my poor reading skills.

111. SwedishPoster says:

rickithebear:
    Detroit model is utter bull shit.

You value a player.
    You pick them before others.

If I have a McDavid level talent playing in the Tongan junior league and I’m certain no other team knows about him I sure as hell wouldn’t pick him in the first round, despite him being the best player on my board.

112. leadfarmer says:

SwedishPoster: I agree that Detroit sometimes gets more love than they deserve, especially the last few years, but picking other players before Datsyuk doesn’t necessairly mean you value them higher, just that you think Datsyuk will be there in the later rounds while the other guys won’t.

I remember a few years ago the vikings picked someone at the end of the first round that probably would have been available in the second or third round, and it was panned as the organization has no idea how the draft works. Similarly picking someone with a 4th round pick that would have been there in the 7th round is not knowing how the draft works

113. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear:
    Woodguy s underlying numbers?

It’s a calculator based on my HD theory.

If the guy who identifies the pocession and anslytic mechanism says
    That under The HD mechanism Faulk and Barrie are useless.
    they are useless.
    Or

or me telling woodguy that he would finally get to observe what I already knew.

Accept the fact this same guy sys you are still well behind.
    Even in WOWY.

Though I think this is the area you can best advance analytics.
    But you must match variance to mechanism or it is a waste of time!

Just like your inaccurate and cap useless calculator.

Or just admit it. Youve been banging the drum on the worst defensemen in the league that now cant find work.
    I think you’re theory is even more flawed than everyone elses theory
    But when Fistric and Gryba find employment again we will make sure to give you full credit.

114. McSorley33 says:

For the record, given we have falllen to 10, I am on board with Ty Smith.

We need a puck mover. PC will have to figure out how to turn one of the LHD into a RHD.

This endorsement is of course contingent upon one of the RHDs not falling to 10

115. leadfarmer says:

Detroit model is so flawed that for a decade outside of the first round they drafted players that have played (1998-2007)
    953 games, 1082 games, 578 games, 708 games, 657 games, 876 games, 610 games, 461 games, 586 games, 602 games, 619 games, 568 games, 551 games, 419 games

Their problem is they stopped following their model

116. McSorley33 says:

speeds,

Nope.

117. Wilde says:

leadfarmer,

I don’t think they stopped, just other teams got wise, there aren’t any more under scouted leagues at the level there used to be.

118. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar: 1)He’s a left shot D but plays the right side and feels more comfortable on the right side.

3) Smith is just a junior prospect right now whereas Jones is an AHL prospect a few years older.Noone can say who “is better’, however, Ty Smith is about 4 tiers higher on draft day than Jones was.We are talking about a top 10 (or so) pick in a deep first round vs. a mid round pick that was Jones.

119. Scungilli Slushy says:

Scungilli Slushy: I would bet he plays left in the NHL. Especially on the Oilers. They won’t let many weak board plays go because he’s off hand.

120. Scungilli Slushy says:

From Morrison at SN

“Maybe one of Torrey’s greatest moves was a trade he didn’t make. The old master, Montreal Canadiens general manager Sam Pollock, who had fleeced a few GMs over the years for their top picks, tried to do the same with Torrey, offering five players off his roster for the pick that turned into Potvin.”

Chia needs to Pollock somebody. Or somebodies, to repair what he broke.

121. ArmchairGM says:

rickithebear: That were your thinking is flawed.

Dmen are 4 times less efficient at generating even offence than forwards.

The 10-15 that do generate even offence are fucking nightmares at even ga.

You do not compare D vs D

You compare d abondoning defence to take a fwd structure position
    Off D vs Fwd.

How do you not fucking recognize that?

200%

Crazy!

Eva from your d would be what you want.

Same mantra from me for 10 years.
    EVA!

Get well soon, ricki!

122. sliderule says:

Insert Farabee for Smith and you would have a fantastic draft.

Unfortunately Berggren will not be there for our second pick but if he is it would set the oil up to have what they need cheap wingers for Connor and Draisaitl.

This draft has some nice D but the oilers need wingers who will play and contribute in the next five years.Farabee !Berggren and Gustafsson should play while almost all the D at 10 are five year projects

123. Rondo says:

sliderule,

I’d take Jesperi Kotkaniemi over Farabee or Smith.

Don’t forget Barrett Hayton.

124. sliderule says:

Rondo,

I liked JK but i only saw him in two games.

Farabee to me looked like the best all round forward in u 18.He has outstanding skating and puck skills.On the number one penalty kill and had the tough job on PP at net front.

From all reports JK will be gone at 10 but if I had a choice I would take Farabee as he is exactly what the oilers need.

125. pts2pndr says:

Lowetide: I think Dobson will be a solid two-way NHL defenseman. Smith is a different player type. Dobson has offensive ability but I think Smith has more pure skill.

Please explain why a team that has so many holes moving forward should draft a smaller left shot defensenman? This is the second strongest position on the team behind only the center position. Is Ty
    Smith this years Elite defenseman because if he is not it is incomprehensible to me why the Oilers would draft him at number 10. Left shot defensemen are covered now and in the forseeable future. At what point is there too much of a good thing. I loved your initial mock draft but this pick at number one defies logic as I see it. Please explain!

126. pts2pndr says:

leadfarmer: You would pick Tkachuk over svechnilov?Alrighty then

As long as they keep current coach who does not seem to play Rusians it is questionable!

127. pts2pndr says:

jtblack:
    tarvbc,

Faulk is playing 2RHD in CAR.We cant hide him anymore than that. We need him to play 2RHD in EDM.WG has shown his nunbers are poor based on REL&WOWY.

As WG would say, he gives up more than he gets; for the last 3 years.

There is always a chance a player can turn things around, but you have to play the oddsThe odds are he is not and won’t be the D man he was 4 years ago.

I agree and we have not even discussed cost! Wood guy has it right!

128. who says:

Scungilli Slushy: Of the teams remaining a few teams have lefties on RD, all third pair except McNabb who plays above that off hand. I believe it’s because of how fast good teams play now, D need those extra split seconds to move the puck effectively

Pretty sure that Schmidt is playing the right side on that Vegas pairing.

129. Munny says:

Cuts-his-nuts-off with a timely marker.

130. Scungilli Slushy says:

who: Pretty sure that Schmidt is playing the right side on that Vegas pairing.

Fair enough and a leftie

131. Munny says:

Russian machine never breaks.

132. who says:

Scungilli Slushy: Fair enough and a leftie

Yep.
    Better hands and better skater than McNab. Looks just fine on the right side.
    I guess he never got the memo that he can’t play there as a lefty.

133. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar,

Wrong! We have a very good idea what our left D is and will be! Klefbom great contract 25 with 4 more years. Nurse looking to be top line D with ability to secure same for 7 years. Sekera for 2 more years. Russel for three years. Lagesson over from Europe good arrows 21. Jones good skating D progressing nicely just completed first year AHL. Samorukov very good showing in a few games in AHL only 19. Left shot D is at worst 2nd strongest position present and forseeable future. Given the holes in current roster drafting another left shot defenseman unless he is the next Orr is not a rationale move!

134. pts2pndr says:

ArmchairGM:
    First Round—No. 10 overall—LD Ty Smith, Spokane Chiefs (WHL). The item I wrote for The Athletic yesterday includes math and saw him good endorsements. I’m on an island with this player but that’s happened before (good and bad) and if the draft rolls out this way it’ll come down to Farabee, Dobson or Smith in my opinion. The analytics show a quality prospect.

***************

While I have no doubt about the quality of Ty Smith how many left D can play on the team at one time?

135. Scungilli Slushy says:

who: Yep.
    Better hands and better skater than McNab. Looks just fine on the right side.
    I guess he never got the memo that he can’t play there as a lefty.

If they can find a good right hander they improve their top pair in two ways, and these increments count in an age when there isn’t much wiggle room because of cap, training and coaching.

136. OriginalPouzar says:

pts2pndr:
    OriginalPouzar,

Wrong! We have a very good idea what our left D is and will be! Klefbom great contract 25with 4 more years. Nurse looking to be top line D with ability to secure same for 7 years.Sekera for 2 more years. Russel for three years. Lagesson over from Europe good arrows 21. Jones good skatingD progressing nicely just completed first year AHL. Samorukov very good showing in a few games in AHL only 19. Left shot D is at worst 2nd strongest position present and forseeable future. Given the holes in current roster drafting another left shot defenseman unless he is the next Orr is not a rationale move!

The make-up of a defensive group, the make up of a team, can change quickly. When Ty Smith is ready for the NHL in a couple of years, there very well could be a spot there for him.

Yes, Russell and Sekera are under contract for a few more years and moving one, if not both of them over the next two years is a priority for our management group. Further, there is almost zero chance Russell is an Oiler for that 4th year of his contract – there is no way they protect him in the expansion draft and he would be bought out if he can’t be moved before then.

I certainly would LOVE to have Klef/Nurse/Sekera anchor our D for the next few years but one of the them might need to be moved for cap relief – we hope its Russell but it may be Klefbom.

I’m a big fan of Lagesson and Samorukov – they may be material parts of the future but they may play zero NHL games between them.

Ty Smith also plays the right side and, apparently, is more comfortable on that side. Maybe that needs to change at the pro level but, maybe not.

At the 10 spot take the best player available and, if the organization deems its Smith, draft.

pts2pndr: Please explain why a team that has so many holes moving forward should draft a smaller left shot defensenman? This is the second strongest position on the teambehind only the center position. IsTy

138. Spooky Lynx says:

Lowetide: This is the same reasoning that allowed the Oilers to trade down so NJD could draft Zach Parise. If you’re looking to fill current holes on the NHL roster at the draft, then all is lost.

^this right here.

Draft the best player available (in the opinion of the scouts). Full stop.

139. who says:

Scungilli Slushy: There are a few, but not many, that fair well off hand, and many looks at the stats have shown he would be considerably better on his natural side with a good enough partner, like all of the others.

I would also prefer righty/lefty on all 3 pairings. But at what cost?
    I would prefer to have Sekera or Russell playing 2RD rather than Benning.
    And I don’t want to overpay, in assets or salary, to bring in a true top 4 right shot dman. We’ve done that once already, according to most of the posters on here.

140. who says:

OriginalPouzar: The make-up of a defensive group, the make up of a team, can change quickly.When Ty Smith is ready for the NHL in a couple of years, there very well could be a spot there for him.

Ty Smith also plays the right side and, apparently, is more comfortable on that side.Maybe that needs to change at the pro level but, maybe not.

Okay OP. Now you are arguing out of both sides of your mouth.
    We can’t have leftys playing RD in Edmonton but we should draft Tyler Smith because he is comfortable playing the right side, despite our obvious depth at LD.
    You must be a trial lawyer. LOL.

141. Munny says:

Wow. Preds have been coming in waves all game, but have nothing to show for it. And now Jets get a lucky bounce and they take the lead.

142. OriginalPouzar says:

Was just mentioning a piece of information, a factoid, about Ty Smith and his usage as I’m guessing many don’t realize he’s been playing the right side.

I’m not advocating this, but just stating the fact.

Some d-men are “better” on their off-side – I believe its rare – I’m not sure if its the case with Ty Smith or not.

I know for certainty that it is NOT the case with Kris Russell or Andrej Sekera.

I haven’t been in court since 2003.

143. Scungilli Slushy says:

I think it depends on who you are talking about. This reminds me of Connor’s draft year when you and I made many comments about what he would be, and many here didn’t see it and doubted. And then the lucky draw.

In this draft Dahlin and Svech have the stats that say game changers. Like Connor. Not Connor but better than the Oilers have, in a hurry. Better than Klef, Nurse, Yama, JP, Nuge and maybe Drai. That don’t need 5 years to get going and contribute.

The glory Oilers were built on prodigious and lucky drafts and trades. The islanders were as well. I feel like it’s time again for that kind of push because Connor, although I have no confidence in management. There aren’t enough impact players close and we’re wasting Connor.

A short term loss in picks won’t matter if impact players are acquired and the talent group is young.

144. OriginalPouzar says:

Skinner let in 3 goals early in the first but then shut the door and stopped 33 of 36 in regulation as the Broncos battled back to tie it at 3 and force OT.

145. anjinsan says:

Chiarelli signed Koskinen to $2.5MM when Sakic signed a better NHL goalie for .690MM. He’s already bloating. What’s the use?

146. Jaxon says:

Does anyone know where I can find 5-on-5 Primary Points / 60 stats for 2005-06 & 2006-07? Corsica.Hockey only goes back to the 2007-08 season. Thanks!

147. Jaxon says:

OriginalPouzar,

My two cents on BPA vs Need. I think most of the time we’re fooling ourselves if we think scouts know who the BPA is. If a player who fills a need is in some sort of reasonable range with other BPAs, then you should seriously consider drafting for need. I bet if you go over any 5+ year-old draft and look at who actually became the better player at any position in the draft, it will often be a player drafted a few spots lower than the consensus BPA, and that player often will play a different position meaning a team could have lucked out on that player who filled a need just as easily as the player they deemed BPA.

I think if you have a player ranked at #10 who doesn’t fill a need, and a few players in the consensus (or internal rankings) #11,#12,#13 spots who do fill a need then you should seriously consider drafting for need.

148. flyfish1168 says:

OriginalPouzar: I hope you are not including Sekera in the “stupid contract” category.Injury aside, he is worth every cent of that contract – not its not value deal like Klefbom’s contract (when healthy) but, injury aside, he is arguably out best d-man – just as valuable as Klefbom and Larsson.

I dislike NMC, and PC hands them out like Halloween candy

149. StixMalone says:

anjinsan:
    Chiarelli signed Koskinen to $2.5MM when Sakic signed a better NHL goalie for .690MM.He’s already bloating.What’s the use?

Not sure who’s the better goalie yet. I’ll wait for a season to be over to make that call. To say Koskinen is not worth the $ is speculation at this early stage. He just might outplay Talbot then he will be considered a value contract….

Because when you are drafting a defensemen, you are drafting for four years from now. Klefbom contract will be a couple of years from expiry by then.

151. Scungilli Slushy says:

Jaxon:
    OriginalPouzar,

I agree except for that the top 3 and sometimes 5 are different. Most draft years it’s a steep drop off in predictability after that.

This year it looks like 2 will be in the league and have a very good chance of a making a difference fairly soon.

So if you want one you have to solve other problems for the drafting team to make it worth their while.

I’d do it.

152. Jaxon says:

Another way to illustrate this point is to look at reputable scouts and ranking services.

Ty Smith is ranked anywhere from #8 (Robinson @ Dobber, Kournianos @ Sporting News, Future Considerations) #9 (Peters @ ESPN), #11 (ISS Hockey, Harling @ Dobber), #13 (MacKenzie @ TSN, Wheeler @ The Athletic), #14 (Hockey Prospect), #15 (Kennedy @ Hockey News), #16 (McKeen’s Hockey, Marek @ SportsNet, Cosentino @ SportsNet), or even #19 (Button @ TSN).

Who’s right? 3 scouts rank him at #16 and one as low as #19.

Now this same list of scouts has Dobson ranked as high as #6 and as low as #16, and Bouchard ranked as high as #5 and as low as #17.

Seeing as there isn’t real consensus, why wouldn’t you draft for need. That said, I don’t think you pick Bode Wilde over Smith as no scout has him higher than #11 and a couple have him as low as #23. Merkley is a wild card in that scenario. If your scouts like him and think he can learn the finer aspects of defensive hockey at the NHL level, then I might even gamble on him. Wheeler @ The Athletic has him at #6 still and Harling @ Dobber has him at #12. His upside could be absolutely huge, especially as a #2RD.

153. digger50 says:

I like Blake Zcoleman as a bet for bottom 6. Penalty kill, 25 points, hungry.
    And 600,000

154. Jaxon says:

Scungilli Slushy: After the top 5 I agree the variability gets to a point that you should draft for need. But as LT mentioned not to fill a hole immediately.

That makes sense. But the #2RD is one of those positions that may never get filled immediately. Unless you give up some very huge assets (see Larsson trade), overpay in free agency. Nobody gives up a top 4 D for free and they get paid on the open market. So you have to draft them. We’ve known we needed RD since 2012 or earlier. We could have filled that long ago with a bit of drafting for need. But if BPA is always your motto, it doesn’t happen. We finally have Bear and Berglund in the pipeline but they are far from sure things and may top out at #3RD. They were drafted too low to be considered going for it on RD.

I love Nurse, but Ristolainen instead of Nurse would make this team look a lot different today. Also if Chiarelli had kept his picks in 2015 (instead of trading them for a struggling LD?!?), Brandan Carlo would look good in an Oilers uniform. Even Dumba or Trouba instead of Yakupov would have turned out better (I realize that is a huge stretch but it illustrates the point). Drafting by need they could have Charlie McAvoy instead of Puljujarvi. Or Connor Timmins instead of Yamamoto.

That’s all done by simply going to the next RD picked in the draft.

155. mustang says:

rickithebear: You forget that fwds need to outscore the dmans.
    Which is +1 in a win.

Elite HD 1.8 or less.
    2-3 gf

Awful HD 2.75 or greater
    3-4 gf

You have to include the cost of increased forward goals. For shite HD dmen.

I agree with Ricki. Basically, it comes down to and always will that dmen are dmen and need to protect the home plate.This is a fact and their most important job. To be good at the job and a very good NHL dman you need to move the puck as quick and efficiently up to the forwards that are supporting the breakout. If you are Bobby Orr or Paul Coffey you excel above and beyond the regular-very good dman and are what most people hope and expect a dman to be.

156. OriginalPouzar says:

Broncos win in OT – Skinner stop 40 of 43.

157. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

Canes want a 1C desperately.

If I am the Oilers I dangle Draisaitl and Yamamoto for

Aho, Svechnikov, Pesce

Klefbom-Larsson
    Nurse-Pesce

make for a great top 4

Aho-Puljujarvi and McDavid-Svechnikov combos to terrorize the League

Nuge to handle 2C heavy lifting again.

Losing Drai hurts a lot, but they get a mulligan on the contract with Aho–if that number comes in at 6, Oilers are laughing.

3 years of ELC on Svechnikov and Pesce at 4 per season long term.

Oilers give up the best player but become a much better team.

I know I have harped on bleeding value, but that was in 1 for 1 deals.

A King and an 8 for 3 Jacks that are payroll efficient is a deal this team needs to consider for the long-term.

Trying to take advantage of Carolina’s desperation to land a true 1C.

158. OriginalPouzar says:

Nuge scores – 2-0 Canada after 1.

I despise the big ice, it just stifles offence. The play gets pushed to the outside which is so far from the net. Defensive systems can dominate.

Even the 3 on 3 OT in both CN/USA and SLO/CZE games weren’t very exciting.

159. NYC-Back-to-Tokyo Oil (Gentleman Backpacker) says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Nuge scores – 2-0 Canada after 1.

I despise the big ice, it just stifles offence.The play gets pushed to the outside which is so far from the net.Defensive systems can dominate.

Even the 3 on 3 OT in both CN/USA and SLO/CZE games weren’t very exciting.

It’s why Sweden plays the 1-3-1. Snoozefest.

160. OriginalPouzar says:

I drive home from the gym and prep my post-workout nutrition and it goes from 2-0 CAN to 6-0.

161. OriginalPouzar says:

8-0 Canada after two.

Canada about to solidify their dominance over S. Korea in hockey.

McDavid with a couple assists, Nuge with a goal.

Canada up 10-0, looks like Nurse is now No. 7D. Haven’t seen him much.

163. sliderule says:

The bad pinch that allowed USA to score has nailed him to bench.

As oiler fans we have experience with bad pinches

164. OriginalPouzar says:

Canada up 10-0, looks like Nurse is now No. 7D. Haven’t seen him much.

He was bumped down to the third pairing when Edmundson returned to the lineup which was too bad.