This is Kevin Prendergast, the Oilers chief scout. Edmonton fans seem to be fairly divided about his performance at this weekend’s draft, but the majority agree that Edmonton’s draft record has been shoddy for years.
I don’t really know the best way to measure these things, but ‘career games played’ is the weighting system that seems the fairest (still nicks the goalies a little, but they can’t skate so to hell with them).
There’s also the question of how many years it takes to measure a draft. I think we can probably have a glance at 2001 (the first official KP era draft) and shed some light on the situation. Here’s the players and career GP by NW team:
EDM: Hemsky (275gp), Doug Lynch (2gp, then injured), Markkanen (128gp), Kari Haakana (13gp), Ales Pisa (53gp)
CAL: Kobasew (220gp), Tomi Maki (1gp), David Moss (41gp)
COL: Peter Budaj (91gp), Danny Bois (1gp), Cody McCormick (95gp), Charlie Stephens (8gp), Marek Svatos (131gp)
MIN: Mikko Koivi (146gp), Kyle Wanvig (68), Stephane Veilleux (203gp), Tony Virta (8gp), Derek Boogaard (113gp)
VAN: RJ Umberger (154gp), Fedor Fedorov (18gp), Kevin Bieksa (120gp), Jason King (55gp)
Going by GP totals:
- Minnesota 538gp
- Edmonton 471gp
- Vancouver 347gp
- Colorado 326gp
- Calgary 262gp
- Minnesota first drafted 6th, Edmonton 13th (traded up to get Hemsky, they really did), Calgary 14th, Vancouver picked 16th and Colorado 63rd.
- Vancouver had 6 picks, Minnesota 7, Colorado 10, Edmonton 11, Calgary 11.
- Edmonton “cheated” because so many of the overagers made the team, but I think you also have to give credit for stocking the shelves cheaply.
Based on that info, Vancouver (6 picks, first one at 16) and Colorado (10 picks, but first one at 63rd) should have been expected to have had the poorest performance. Agree?
- Minnesota had a nice draft, Koivu is a player and they got two nice role players.
- Edmonton got Hemsky, plus did a nice job with the overagers.
- Vancouver drafted two actual NHL players and may have had the best day.
- Colorado also got two players, including Svatos after Bettman went home.
- Calgary is funny.
Oilers got the best player in Hemsky. Agree?
So if we’re going to say the Oilers are a poor drafting team, can we point to 2001? I don’t think we can.