I’ve been zipping through the draft and MAN there were some interesting selections. A few notes:
- According to today’s Journal, the Oilers selected one of the Euro’s on day 2 because Kent Nilsson was passionate about him. This is probably the most depressing thing I’ve heard in a year.
- The Oilers have given all kinds of explanations for why they chose Plante at #15 except the one that makes sense based on their own past: they’d taken a F, so the plan calls for a D. The Oilers don’t draft best player available, they draft for need.
- I wonder what Oilers fans would have done had Lowe drafted (as Washington did) Josh Godfrey at #34. He was ranked 149th on ISS, 141st North American skater by CSB.
- Redline report had all three of Edmonton’s first round picks….in the first round.
- ISS does a “style compares to” which doesn’t say how good he’ll be so much as who he looks like. For the Oilers the answers are:
Sam Gagner=Marc Savard
Alex Plante=Kyle McLaren
Riley Nash=Patrick Eaves