Oilers Sign T. J. Kemp

This is T.J. Kemp. He’s an AHL defender (turned 26 earlier this month) who didn’t arrive in hockey’s highest minor league until he was 24.

He’s a depth signing for the new AHL farm club, but he does apparently have a two-way contract that will pay him $100,000 if he makes the big club.

According to the Reading Eagle “A product of Mercyhurst College, Kemp signed an ECHL deal with Reading in 2005 after going undrafted. He scored 40 points in 60 games with the Royals, was named to the ECHL all-star and all-rookie squads and received call-ups from four different AHL teams.”

He’s an offensive defender (5-33-38 in 65gp), 5-11 and 200 pounds. Kemp finished tied for fifth among league D-men in assists and was named to the AHL all-star game.

He shoots left.

11 Responses to "Oilers Sign T. J. Kemp"

1. Aaron Paquette says:

left, you say?

2. mc79hockey says:

I’m reliably informed of the following:

a) nice guy;
    b) goes by Kemper;
    c) small as fuck;
    d) has a deer in the headlights look in person;
    e) extreme shape to eyebrows; and
    f) will occasionally ask for 10 weeks of information from you the day before an exam.

That is all.

MC: Now that the Oilers have signed him he’ll have to go by “Smitty” of course. Also, I think we have too many “small as fuck” types.

4. Aaron Paquette says:

Although I’m relatively consigned to a gong show of a season, I hope we don’t see this guy after we burn through al our other options due to injury and bad trades.

5. Asiaoil says:

MC you fuckin kill me sometimes :)

6. Bendelson says:

All part of the KLowe masterplan.

I haven’t heard much in the way of the Oil going after another RFA…

Though I was amused by the Vanek contract, I think it would be a shame to take the team out of the Tavaras lottery for one of the remaining RFA skill players.

If Tavaras really is another Crosby-type impact player – KLowe would be making a big, panic driven mistake to sign… Parise for example.

Wouldn’t you say?

(This assumes the Oilers will be very young, inexperienced and in transition/flux – thus recieving a lottery pick in ’08 and ’09).

7. oilerdiehard says:

Are they letting Tavares in the draft this year? I keep hearing the league is likely not going to allow it.

Besides we will probably be just barely good enough to stay out of the lottery.

8. Oilman says:

Kinda looks like Toby Peterson – all is not lost

9. Master Lok says:

Sounds like MABergeron

10. Oilman says:

looks like Toby…plays like Bergie…now I’m excited!

11. uni says:

The Bergie that languished in Oil Town most of last year, or the PP/offensive wizard that ended the season with NYI Bergie?