Oilers to hit Grand Slam with No One On Base

Bob Stauffer from TEAM 1260 is reporting this morning that the Oilers are going to heavily pursue Scott Gomez right after the anthem and the start of free agency this morning.

I think Gomez would have to be the first piece of a very big overhaul this summer, as center is the one position where Edmonton would appear to have adequate depth (Horcoff, Stoll, Pouliot, Reasoner and about 12 prospects from the A and B pile).

Gomez told an Anchorage newspaper yesterday that two of the main factors in where he’ll sign are “chances of winning the Cup again” and “number of quality wingers.”

It would seem Edmonton would be bringing up the year on both counts (save Hemsky), but you never know.

I don’t think the money should be spent on Gomez, in fact you could probably get two off the list of 5 I mentioned yesterday (or damn close) based on the rumored money it’ll take to get Gomez.

Also, the Oilers are about four players away from being a contender, not one. The only way this move makes any sense is as a public relations move, a “we lost Pronger and Smyth but here’s the future” kind of move.

It’s come to this: we’re the Chicago freaking Cubs.

24 Responses to "Oilers to hit Grand Slam with No One On Base"

1. Chris says:

We’re glad to have another team sharing the distinction of “The Chicago Cubs of the NHL”.

Sincerely,

The St. Louis Blues

2. Lord Bob says:

On the other hand, if Kevin Lowe and company actually said “you know what? We’re rebuilding. Hopefully we’ll be better in a few years”, you know as well as I do that most of the fans would murder Lowe in his sleep and just wish they could overpay for one star.

3. Muller says:

I wouldn’t mind if the Oil said they were rebuilding for the future. Then you know there being honest and not overpaying a guy like Gomez or Kubina.

4. oilerdiehard says:

I still hope they go after Paul Kariya instead. But that is just me.

5. Mr DeBakey says:

number of quality wingers.

Well
    the Oilers have a number of quality wingers,
    A very small number

It looks E-town will remain a Gomez-free zone

6. Vic Ferrari says:

You never know, but I would imagine this Gomez talk is just for show. Once they have confirmed that Gomez won’t come here, they can match the monetary offer of the highest bidder just to have a great “one that got away story”. And a “we TRIED to spend $45 million, honest” story in October.

I think that high risk guys on short term contracts would make more sense. Guys coming off terrible seasons, the elderly and the injury prone would all make sense.

Vic: Agree completely. Sign two forwards and at least a defender from the second tier and then if there’s still some room send 3 prospects away for a real player later in the summer.

8. Tyler says:

I think that most of us would be satisfied with firing the guy who turned a Stanley Cup finalist into a team in need of a rebuild in twelve months, but that’s just me.

I hope that you’re right with respect to Gomez. I also agree with this. I’m not sure what kind of money Nagy is looking at but he could be a sweet signing.

I can’t see Lowe surviving this season MC, and his legacy MIGHT be (along with the Pronger deal and not signing Smyth) a horrible contract signed today.

With Gomez, Horcoff, and Stoll, the Oilers would be a hard team to play against.

Hey Ryan…Joe Thornton justed signed an extension with nearly a $3 million per season hometown discount.

12. Dennis says:

It’s funny but Ty made the Cubs comparison to me the other day and I said I didn’t see it just yet because the Cubs don’t mind spending money and the Oilers clearly do.

Now, if the Oilers go out today and hand out one or two stupid contracts and we can compare that to how they handled their own big ticket items, then I’m on board.

But, a 45 mill budget won’t allow for two bad contracts so I doubt it’s going to happen.

Interesting exchange that time on the TSN panel about what the Oilers should do today. Jones said they should wait until next year and Maclean said that’s what he was told in CBJ and then he wound up getting fired. I think I was pretty much the first person to say this as I was pimping this idea to Cam and Ty for awhile now but we’re in a very dangerous situation with Lowe right now. He’s angling for his next job and I really can’t blame him so it was up to the Oilers to either give him a vote of confidence so he could work on the rebuild OR fire him and let a new guy work on his plan.

Though, seriously, Lowe should’ve been fired for how he handled 44 and 94.

godot10: They’d still be poor as church mice at LW and sadly lacking at D..

Lupul, Gomez, Hemsky
    Moreau, Horcoff, Pouliot/Thoreson
    Torres, Stoll, Pisani.

godot10: That’s not good enough by a bunch.

One starts by fixing the foundation.

Gomez, Horcoff, Stoll, Hemsky, Pisani, Moreau is one hell of a foundation.

17. mc79hockey says:

Hey Godot10: Notice how the Sharks got it done 9 months before the trade deadline? Might be something to that.

Hey Ryan…rumour has it that Jarome Iginla is about to sign a 4 year extension with nearly a $3 million per season hometown discount.

19. Mr DeBakey says:

20. Doogie says:

Gomez doesn’t make sense to me. We don’t need another passer: we need an honest-to-God scorer. We may have the depth at C already, but I’d still be taking a run at Chris Drury.

//I wish Lowe had given Ryan the opportunity to turn down the same home town discount Thornton got.//

Thornton and Ignila are both taking 25-30% hometown discounts by signing for around $7 million instead of $10 million.

Ryan Smyth would have to sign for $7.7 million for Lowe’s $5.4 million offer to be as big a home town discount.

22. Black Dog says:

I wouldn’t be taking a run at any of these 5 years at 35M guys – not a one. And you know what – I think the Iginla and Thornton signings (and Whitney as well, note as an RFA) are the way a lot of guys go. Meaning, next year’s pool looks great right now, but come a year from now, it will be shallow again.

The way to dig out of this hole – sign a couple of the guys Vic refers to – Guerin, Nagy etc – and try and swing a deal for a real building block. See if you can eke out a playoff spot this year and then figure out where you are next summer. Spend the money wisely not just for the hell of it.

Put it this way – I’d rather not sign Gomez for twice of what Horc makes when Horc brings almost the same to the table (some would argue more/some less I think).

23. Dennis says:

True enough Pat. The big ticket items are being handled properly by the other teams so the trick is if you have guys that make a difference, try like fuck to hold onto them. Joe T’s a done deal and Iggy’s to follow so that leave Hossa and someone else big, can’t remember who it is, next summer

24. Black Dog says:

Hossa and hmm, Heatley, maybe? Next year is a big year for RFAs but I think a lot of them get locked up as well – Crosby, Ovechkin etc.

The Hemsky, Horton and Whitney deals are the way to go – lock up your young difference makers for six years – its a bit of a risk but the reward (a couple of years of UFA gone, arbitration years as well) far outweighs it. Bouwmeester is an RFA next season. There are a ton, real cream of the crop.

What Lowe has to do is find some team that is dumb or cheap or both and pry a player or two away. That and drafting and then long term deals for the elite guys. Like he did when he traded for Pronger.

On the other hand Souray for five years, which he will get at big money – the team that does that will not win the Cup. (See McCabe, Bryan)