San Fransisco, Baltimore Favored for NHL Berths

February 9, 1966

By Dick Beddoes – Globe and Mail Reporter

NEW YORK – Governors of the National Hockey League, groggy from two days of having their ears bent by 13 applicants from eight locations, will decide today whether any new franchises will be awarded at this time.
There are indications that two territories, Baltimore and San Francisco-Oakland will be granted admission immediately.

David Molson, president of the Montreal Canadiens said, “I’ll be disappointed if we don’t announce two and I’d like to see us choose all six.”
Expansion from six to 12 teams is projected toward two six-team divisions in time for the 1967-68 season.

Stafford Smythe, speaking for the Toronto Maple Leafs, supported Molson’s stance. “San Francisco and Baltimore are both dealing from strength since each city has only one applicant. The Baltimore people particularly are the sort we like for partners.”

The Baltimore applicants are Zanyl Krieger and Jake Embry, 90 percent owners of the Baltimore Clippers in the American Hockey League. Krieger, a lawyer, is a majority stockholder in Baltimore Orioles of the American Baseball League, and once shared ownership of the Baltimore Colts of the National Football League.

“How can they resist our bid?” Embry demanded yesterday.

At least one influential voice in the NHL conclaves can resist intruders and wishes expansion had never been contemplated. Jim Norris, burly co-owner of Chicago Black Hawks in grumbling.
“We can’t make a nickel by expanding,” Norris said. “So the new guys cough up $2,000,000 for a franchise and players. How much will we see of that after taxes?”
Norris knocked down the notion that a golden stream of television dollars will be diverted into the governor’s pockets. “The Hawks already get $200,000 for televising 35 away games, and how much more can we expect?”

Toronto and Montreal among present NHL teams expect and receive TV revenue that makes old King Midas resemble a piker panhandling for dimes. The Leafs anticipate $9,000,000 from their electronic package in the next six years.

NHL President Clarence Campbell cautioned: “The expansion formula is not based on a TV contract, but naturally we hope something can be worked out in that area.”

11 Responses to "San Fransisco, Baltimore Favored for NHL Berths"

1. Mr DeBakey says:

burly co-owner of Chicago Black Hawks in grumbling.
    “We can’t make a nickel by expanding,” Norris said.

Well, nothing has changed.
    The owners of the Black Hawks aren’t any smarter 4 decades later

2. Muller says:

Expansion has hurt the NHL. There is too many average players in the game. Thats one of the reasons for all of the rule changes is to acommadate these watered down players. The League would be perfect if it was 26 teams.

3. Big T says:

The more things change, the more they stay the same. More of the same from the NHL searching for their ‘Golden Strea of TV Revenue.’

And isn’t it funny how the three people who have commented thus far have completely different takes on what the story said. We all just hear what we want to hear don’t we (myself included).

T

4. mc79hockey says:

There is too many average players in the game.

I too miss the Original Six, when everyone was above average.

5. Big T says:

nice

6. James Mirtle says:

I call copyright violation.

Mirtle: Even if I told you you’re twice the writer Beddoes was (and I liked Beddoes)?

Even THEN?

8. Doogie says:

Wasn’t Beddoes the one that was still trying to call Gretzky a flash in the pan in 1981 or 1982? I seem to recall seeing a YouTube interview with him and the guy who wrote The Game of Our Lives where they were arguing over it.

9. Julian says:

You mean this, Doogie?

I think Beddoes was playing devil’s advocate a bit, he must have been.

The author is Peter Gzowski, BTW. Great book.

10. Shadow2kx says:

I’d prefer to see the NHL not expand at all anymore, it’s really starting to get irritating, we already have too many teams

11. ClaytonMagnet says:

I don’t think there are too many average NHL players; I believe there is exactly the right amount. If there were more ‘above average’ players, they’d simply raise the average, leaving us with exactly the same amount of average players ;)

All kidding aside, I think that having more crappy players makes the stars that much brighter. If you want to see the Holy-Crap-Crosby-Just-Made-That-Defender-Eat-His-Own-Jockstrap highlights, it’s beneficial to have lots of lead-footed defencemen out there, because he’s not going to embarrass the Niedermayer or Lidstrom types too often. IMHO.

Come to think of it, I don’t really buy that players are worse today. I’ve heard players from the ’80s era talk about why the scoring is lower, and one of the main points they make is that on average, defencemen are bigger, faster, and stronger. And the off-season used to be about golf, fishing, and beers…now it’s about circuit training, rehabing, and plyometrics.

To summarize, I just argued against my own opinion, so I guess I, uhhh, what was I saying?