Daum

The Edmonton Oilers have hired Rob Daum to replace Craig Simpson (although his duties will be somewhat different from the published job description).

Daum is a westerner, played for the Melville Millionaires (SJHL) a few years before Jarret Stoll was born in the same town. Daum went to the University of Alberta (a very distinguished university that has first class people everywhere, it truly is a quality institution) and eventually got into coaching.

He spent the late 80s in the WHL, the 90s in the CIS with the U of A, and then a couple of seasons ago got a job with the Minnesota Wild coaching their AHL team. Daum’s reputation is a very good one, and his hiring at the NHL level is overdue.

What I don’t know about coaching is a lot, but I’m hopfeul that Billy Moores grabs the PP by the short and curlies and makes it into something grand (maybe with Daum’s help). After all, Ales Hemsky is a license to print money on the PP. Perhaps Daum and Moores can get someone to move their feet, have others hit the fricking net, and convince MacT that a Cory Cross-Toby Petersen type “guarding the blueline” isn’t a good bet.

If the Oilers are going to succeed with this bunch it will be due to a glorious, historic powerplay. It starts with new ideas. God knows the old coaching staff ran out of them (PP ideas) a long time ago.

25 Responses to "Daum"

1. Scarlett says:

I read somewhere that MacT and Billy were taking over the PP and new dude Rob was doing game prep. I’d like to see MacT’s fingers kept out of the PP…like we all do!

2. mc79hockey says:

Does anyone else find it strange that the Oilers streak of finding that the best possible hire is someone who already has ties to the organization continues? I mean, I have no feel for Daum’s potential as a coach, no idea if he’s any good…it just strikes me as passing strange that all of these hires are associated with the organization before they get hired.

MC: They saw him good.

4. IceDragoon says:

LOL

Lain, your funnybone is working overtime tonight.

As an aside… (it’s me :-D)

What is this hiring going to tell us about Bob Stauffer?

a) MacT has effectively neutered him for the year.

b) He just might learn a little something about coaching from his pal.

c) He’s in the business of radio… not in the business of keeping friends.

L8r

5. oilerdiehard says:

Great post LT. I could not agree more with your comments on the PP and the line about printing money cracked me up.

6. Whippy says:

And how, LT: this team breathes or burns by the PP.

Should make for good viewing.

//Does anyone else find it strange that the Oilers streak of finding that the best possible hire is someone who already has ties to the organization continues?//

Geez…like Daum has been a bum. Have you checked out his record? Have you checked out the record of the University of Alberta hockey program, and how he was pretty much able to transparently move to the AHL.

Daum is not an ex-Oiler. They hired him out of the Wild organization.

Was Claude Julien an ex-Oiler? He has now been hired by 3 different NHL teams.

8. mc79hockey says:

He went to the AHL by way of a Doug Risebrough farm club. I’m sure that I don’t need to remind anyone here that Risebrough has ties to the Oilers – I’d bet that his time in Edmonton was how he met Daum.

His AHL gig doesn’t seem to have wrapped up too well either – Houston was a train wreck last year and it sounds like both sides were happy to walk away.

I know that he’s not an ex-Oiler, which is certainly some progress, but he’s an ex-U of A guy and an Edmonton guy already. Just once, I’d like to see them say “Yeah, we found this guy out in Quebec (or somewhere). He’s never been to Edmonton but he seems like a hell of a coach so we’re bringing him in.”

Again, as I said the first time, I don’t know a hell of a lot about Daum as a coach (excuse me if his CIS record doesn’t mean a hell of a lot to me, although the Oilers could probably have used a good recruiter on July 1). He might be a genius for all I know. I just find it amazing that they continue to find all of their coaching geniuses living within a 50 km radius of Rexall.

9. Pat says:

I have some of the same feelings as mc79 on this one, though maybe mine are blunted a little by the fact that Daum is, at the very least, not a member of the 80′s alumni.

Lowetide: “Daum went to the University of Alberta (a very distinguished university that has first class people everywhere, it truly is a quality institution)”

Is that a little thumbs up to your own alma matter or something? :)

10. namflashback says:

MC,

Geez, you are reaching for conspiracy now. Riseborough hasn’t been in the Oilers org for awhile now — and has linkages to a few other orgs in his history anyway.

Hiring “who you know” is de rigeur for almost all the teams in this league — particularly below the head coach waterline. They all had player or organizational connections before.

PLUS The Oilers made 2 hockey management hires this summer that had absolutely NO prior connections to the Oilers, and it can’t be argued that they were not appropriately qualified.

Truitt — assistant for Springfield, long standing GM, Head Coach in the WHL. Good resume to be developing

Olcyk — capologist, lawyer– former outside counsel to the NHLPA. Read that he was one of a handful of individuals that had been through a special training and simulation workshop on the new CBA.

+ Mancini — one year as a scout for the Oilers in 2000 — but now the new development coach. Former GM for the Saginaw Spirit.

Nary a peep out of the ‘sphere on these ones.

I expect the MSM to have their running biases. I was happy that the Oilogosphere used to have a nice balance of opinion.

The Oilogosphere is all about “they saw him bad” lately.

11. OYLer says:

The Oilers’ coaching staff have been PPing all over themselves for years. Too much individual creativity and not enough rehearsed, practiced, drilled, skill-tested repetition, non-thinking, instant reacting, (did I say practiced?) perfected, get the job done, pay the price in front of the net, grind it out, stuff the puck down the oppositions’ throat with intensity for too long.

In the PP the operative work is POWER! Not pretty or plodding but 2 full minutes of powerful intensity where who plays depends on who puts the puck in the net. Those who are committed, hardnosed, and with smarts to get the job done – get to play.

12. Ribs says:

“Was Claude Julien an ex-Oiler? He has now been hired by 3 different NHL teams.”

Not a player, but Julien coached a bunch of Oilers in Hamilton for a few years!

There’s connections everywhere to nearly everyone for every team and I can’t see a good reason to get upset about this hiring.
    We’re having a hard enough time trying to convince players to play here. We don’t need coaches who would like to be elsewhere!

He’s a good coach and we’re lucky to have him.

13. CrazyCoach says:

Hey LT,

I know as a member of the coaching fraternity, I have great admiration for Rob Daum. In terms of technical knowledge, you will not find a better fit for the NHL bench.

Someone mentioned that CIS records don’t mean squat, but in all reality, most CIS teams (Successful ones anyway) have rosters that are filled with former major junior players. For Daum to be able to motivate young guys in university, many of whom the CIS is a step down on their road to the NHL, is a testament to his ability.

I know of one former player of Daum’s who remarked that Daumer was the best coach he ever had, and he is great at player development.

Seems like a great fit on this team which is filled with youngesters in need of direction.

This has been the best move the Oilers have made in two summers.

14. rstahl says:

Hiring “who you know” is de rigeur for almost all the teams in this league

I’m going to pile on with namflashback here – this ‘phenomenon’ isn’t just seen in hockey, hiring who you know is done EVERYWHERE. Sure, you may find someone from Quebec with a similar resume, but you have no idea if he’s going to start carving pagan symbols into Billy Moores scalp or not. That’s why so many hirings happen this way, you have a feel for their personality, and whether they will fit with the other employees.

Like it or not, people prefer to do business with the devil they know.

//Someone mentioned that CIS records don’t mean squat, but in all reality, most CIS teams (Successful ones anyway) have rosters that are filled with former major junior players.//

Former CIS or Canadian college coaches include Tom Watt, Mike Keenan, Bryan Murray, Perry Pearn, Mike Babcock…and I’m sure I’m missing a bunch.

Claude Julien had no ties when he signed to coach in the AHL for the Oilers. A third NHL team has now hired him as an NHL head coach. He was replaced in Montreal by Guy Carbonneau…no disgrace. He got fired for playing Huet or Theodore, and in a month Gainey was doing the same thing. He got fired in New Jersey for having a winning record while playing shorthanded most of the year because Lamorello couldn’t manage the cap.

16. Devin says:

Fair enough hiring, since he has some degree of track record. Still stinks (I’m with MC, do they even look at resumes from beyond Oilerville? Wouldn’t it pay to consider a foreign assistant?) at some level.

But this seems to be getting a fair amount of positive response as compared to the lack of utter outrage at the hiring of Bucky. I mean WTF!? How can one complain even the slightest about Daum when they’ve just hired a guy with zero experience in Springfield. If I was Truitt I’d be pretty pissed that I wasn’t hired as head and Bucky assistant.

17. HabsFan33 says:

Nice Work!

Here is a piece from our blog, Four Habs Fans, regarding Edmonton, that you may find interesting.

18. Doogie says:

See Julien, Claude. But the Oilers let the Habs grab him for effectively nothing.

19. RiversQ says:

namflashback said…

The Oilogosphere is all about “they saw him bad” lately.

Oh, for fucksakes.

I don’t know which offseason you’ve been watching but it should be this way.

This org has a full calendar year of dubious decision making that does nothing to inspire confidence anywhere. That runs the gamut from the owners to the GM and to the coaching staff.

Sunshine and lollipops it most certainly is not.

20. Rod says:

That may be riversq, but there’s nothing to jump on in this hiring. Nothing. Oiler-ville? So now they should ignore excellence at the UofA because it’s in Edmonton? Daum is qualified. This is not at all “the same old same old”, as mc79 alleged. Daum’s not an ex-Oiler in any regard. Sure, there’s a tangential connection via Risebrough. Big deal. By the same “logic” Mike Keenan is ex-Oiler because of the Risebrough / Gainey / Carboneau / Hitchcock / Clarke / Keenan “connections.”

Not everything is wonderful, granted. That just means there’s no need to invent conspiracy or problems where none exist. The real problems are out there…

Meanwhile, Daum is a solid hire IMO.

21. RiversQ says:

Fair enough Rod.

Personally, I think mc79 has something of a point here.

Who’s coaching the AHL squad again? That most certainly was a same old same old kind of move. Daum might be one additional degree of separation removed but that’s about it.

22. mc79hockey says:

I’m not saying that they should ignore the City of Edmonton in the slightest. Heck, if you read my first post, it states: “I have no feel for Daum’s potential as a coach, no idea if he’s any good.”

For an organization that’s got problems with cronyism though, with hiring the guys who they’re buddies with, the fact that they’ve hired a guy who was apparently hanging around the pressbox watching games and presumably shooting the shit with the boys isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement that they’ve gotten past that problem.

As far as the point that Olczyk isn’t an Oiler/Edmonton almunus: well, bully for him. It appears that the Oilers dynasty has produced far fewer lawyers than it has aspiring coaches and managerial types.

As for Julien, that’s a good point. Does anyone want to seriously make the argument that the default assumption for Oiler hires is anything but cronyism though? I was trying to figure out how Julien came to their attention. Anyone know?

23. Rod says:

riversq, that’s exactly my point. Hammering on Daum as more cronyism is a little misplaced. The real problems are out there…

24. Rod says:

mc79, if they’re supposed to ignore the coaches that might be in the press box occasionally, that’ll mean ignoring Edmonton (or at least the UofA). Besides, that kind of thing could be construed as an extended interview process. Certainly way more info than a regular interview provides, considering a key aspect of coaching is that they function together as a unit. Press box interaction wasn’t necessarily all bad.

Who was normally in the press box? Moores? He already knew Daum (UofA). Uh oh. I’ve just shown another angle on cronyism in Daum’s hire… :-)

I suspect MacT chose Daum over Ward–the Oilers knew Simpson was leaving before Ward went to Boston. MacT definitely knew Ward. During the lock-out, the Road Runners played in Edmonton right in front of Oiler coaches, so they “saw him a lot.” That provided way more contact than Daum rubbing elbows in the press box. Between the two though, they chose Daum.

Just saying it wasn’t simply a case of hiring the guy they’re most familiar.

25. Rod says:

Still on the Claude Julien perspective, Geoff Ward worked with Julien in the Oiler system. Ward indicated (radio interview) that was a key reason why he took the job in Boston. They knew each other, and had worked together before.

It’s the old “who you know” is more important than “what you know”. It’s hardly an Oiler phenomenon.