Foppa

I don’t know much about Marty York, except that there was a Marty York who used to be something of an expert on the CFL. I remember that because he was wrong about pretty much everything while being introduced as an insider (it was kind of funny, kind of like Alex Haig’s “I’m in charge here.”)

Anyway, York now writes for something called Metronews which I’ve never seen but based on the name am prepared to state comes from Toronto.
In today’s pdf file edition, which is available through Spector’s, he mentions the Oilers and Foppa. To quote Spector: Marty York reports the Edmonton Oilers, apparently desperate for an “established scorer”, have “increased their offer” to UFA forward Peter Forsberg.
There’s maybe 1 player on planet earth not currently under contract to an NHL team who could drag the current Oilers roster into the playoffs next spring.
Peter Forsberg is one of them.

28 Responses to "Foppa"

1. Josh says:

So if we do sign him for his 6 mil deal (or whatever), then what? Aren’t we already above the predetermined cap the EIG set? Clearly someone goes and its going to be an expensive player at center….hrmm……i wonder

2. Chris! says:

Man, Marty York is a complete fucking moron. He writes the most unsubstantiated sports buzz column in the world for Metro, which is a free daily commuter rag available in Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton. If he reminds you of someone with the same name who was always wrong about the CFL, then he’s probably the same guy.

Anyhow, I’d be shocked if the Oilers were seriously in the running for Forsberg. We’re at 90% of the cap as it is, and Foppa won’t be around long enough to justify a trade to free up space. I’m convinced that this team is done spending for the off-season.

Of course, it would be a dream to see Forsberg in an Oilers uniform, even for only 35-40 games.

3. SweatyO says:

Forsberg?

Up until about 2 years ago, he was (when healthy), the best player on the planet.

Bar none.

But honestly, the guy is considering retirement. IF he’s coming back to the NHL, he’s coming back to a team he thinks has a chance to win it all.

Philadelphia, Detroit, Colorado, Ottawa or Vancouver. He’s going to go Roger Clemens-style (i.e. stay undecided until January) and he will resurface in one of those five places.

Marty York’s an idiot.

4. Cheyenne says:

I would be alright (I think) with us making a deal to sign Forsberg for something like 6 mill a year for a couple of years, and then trading Horcoff for a younger center and a draft (Boyes and one of Boston’s?). That way, HOPEFULLY, we could have someone to play on the first or second line when Forsberg retires, depending on how well Stoll is doing at that time.

Honestly, I don’t care what we have to give for him. We’re screwed up so bad at the moment, I think I could settle for him taking us into the playoffs, even if it means sacrificing the next year’s season.

At the same time, based on what I know of York, this is as likely as what you’d read in the Weekly World News.

I’ve been for going after Forsberg for a long time.

The offer is an opportunity to play between two of the best young forwards in the league, Hemsky and Penner, with Horcoff and Stoll doing all the hard lifting at centre. Forsberg would only be looking at having to play only around 18 minutes.

Forsberg isn’t about the money. The Oilers have about $4 million in cap room.

Most all of the other teams in the race…Vancouver, Colorado, and Detroit are similarly cap constrained somewhat.

P.S. And why is everyone alway trying to trade Horcoff? He is one of the best values for money in the entire NHL. Are people blind?

Horcoff is our Butch Goring.

6. uni says:

Ditto Chris!, the Metronews isn’t even a paper, it’s just birdcage liner that’s freely distributed for advertisement revenue and little else.

A guy on the train once pointed out a great article they had on the front page about how a ‘dirty’ nuclear bomb could do serious damage in Toronto…no shit, nuclear bombs can cause destruction eh?

I wouldn’t even bother to read that detritus on my 2 hour commute to work in the morning, much rather do some work on a laptop, read a book, or sleep.

7. PDO says:

Peter Forsberg playing 60 games at anywhere near 80% of his health could make this a playoff team. How much would the Oilers have to offer to get him though?

And Josh, the issue at that point isn’t the Oilers cap – it’s the cap, period.

Penner, Hemsky, Horcoff, Pisani, Torres, Stoll, Moreau, Sanderson, Reasoner, Pouliot, Thoresen, Souray, Staios, Pitkanen, Tarnstrom, Greene, Grebeshkov, Smid, Roloson and Garon add up to 45.144.

Is $4,000,000 enough to get Forsberg? If it’s not, we’d need to be dropping someone somewhere in a salary dump. The obvious choice would be Sanderson, as we could cut $1,000,000 without losing anything, but even so…

What about Tarnstrom? They have no real way of using his talents to the fullest?

9. Santa Merda says:

The current defensive line-up escapes me at the moment, so I’m afraid I can’t really say about Tarnstrom.

The thing about Sanderson is that we would be losing something, because due to a lack of experience in our forward line, I would bet a million bucks that MacT is dreaming of playing him with some of the rookies.

Also, in regards to trading Horcoff, it’s not that I think we should trade him, but to get Forsberg I’d put up with it.

10. Devin says:

Is Forsberg eligible for an incentive-based contract? They could offer him 4mil base salary and up to 4mil in bonuses (if achieved they would roll over to next year’s cap). Look at NYR’s clever strategies this offseason. We have plenty of cap space to fit in Foppa.

IIRC you can assign players to the minors without forcing them to actually report, too. If worst comes to worst and it looks like Tarnstrom is going to be our 6 or 7D on opening night, send him down to clear his cap hit but keep him in the pressbox for a bit. If someone took him on waivers, well, so what?

11. PDO says:

LT:

Can Edmonton of all places afford to sign a UFA and trade him before he ever plays a game for the team?

12. IceDragoon says:

sweato said:
    Marty York’s an idiot.

Quoted for accuracy.

All info from this source gets filed under ‘df’. – see “Leaves” comment…

:-)

13. Colby Cosh says:

Marty York might be an idiot, but anybody who thinks a “dirty bomb” is the same thing as a “nuclear bomb” needs to be reading at least one more newspaper of some sort in the mornings.

14. Santa Merda says:

Devin:

Edmonton really can’t afford to lose next year’s caps space for something that happens this year.

Also, LT, on my blog would I list/link to you as Lowetide or LoweTide? I’ve seen it both ways.

Devin: Lowetide. Are you an Oiler blog? I’ll list you if you are.

16. Santa Merda says:

I am, just new though.

“Talkin’ Hockey” @ http://atalkin.blogspot.com/.

And thanks.

17. Dennis says:

I remember watching him play last winter with the Flyers before he was dealt and around the time that the Oilers were rumored to be looking at him and you could tell that he still had a lot left in him. But then he got to Nashville and got hurt again and I must admit that I didn’t watch much of the Nsh/SJ series so I don’t know if he was playing the tough min or if he was making any kind of impact. Can someone clarify some of those points?

Forsberg as a one year guy makes a lot of sense for a team like the Oilers who should be giving back to the fans and spending to the cap every chance they get but who should also only do that either by inking all of their up and comers to good pacts OR overpaying older questionable guys on one year of freight.

Forsberg would fit that to a tee and I’d be all for it.

As far as the source, I think this is maybe the 2nd or 3rd time that LT has mentioned York and I keep bringing up the fact that back when the Expos still exisited, York was known for coming up with cockamamie stories about where they were to be relocated. I don’t trust him or his sources as far as I can throw him.

That being said, for a couple of reasons, this makes sense. The first is as listed above, to spend to appease the fans and do it while not fucking your payroll for years future, see Souray, Sheldon, Forsberg as an Oiler makes sense. The other thing is apparently they persued him before he signed with Philly and Lowe also claims they looked into dealing for him as far back as October so there’s been an interest in him for a couple of years now. And of course the Oilers opened the bank for Nylander so they really wanted that talented forward for 83 and if they picked up Forsberg, they’d have that PLUS they could play him power vs power along with 83 and Penner.

18. Steve says:

I didn’t like the Tarnstrom signing when it happened. I like it even less since the Souray signing and the Pitkanen trade (which didn’t actually increase our number of NHL defensemen, but did decrease our need for offensive-minded defensemen). Besides that, I think if Gilbert gets the 500 ABs of which you’re actually speaking, he’ll be a better defenseman than Tarnstrom by year end (this is intended as a knock on Tarnstrom more than as an optimistic prediction of Gilbert’s development), and the same type – and a right hander to boot. I’d love to see the Oilers unload him, but I think it would have to be an arrangement that he was happy with. Doing something like pdo suggests, while it likely makes sense from a hockey perspective, isn’t going to help Edmonton’s free agent image.

Also, Metro is better than any of 24, Rush Hour, or (sorry Chris) Dose. This is intended as a knock on those latter three publications rather than as any defense of Metro.

19. James Mirtle says:

Forsberg was off and on in Nashville. He had some terrific games, but was obviously still hobbled.

Marty York used to be a sports columnist at The Globe and Mail, long before I got there. I hadn’t realized until recently that he was writing for Metro (then again, I’m not a TTCer and I’d never pick up one of those things).

20. Santa Merda says:

The thing is, a hobbled Forsberg is still better than a healthy Horcoff. Not that Horcoff is bad, because he obviously isn’t, but Forsberg would definitely pull us up, even if only played ~50 games this season (which would be likely).

The thing about Forsberg is that he can make a difference in any game he’s playing in. The Oilers said goodbye to Pronger and Smyth, but don’t really have anyone like that right now (and believe me I;m a Hemsky fan).

The Oilers roster now has some mondo weirdness on it and Foppa is a guy who can turn a 3-2 deficit into a 4-3 lead in one shift.

22. Santa Merda says:

Agreed. Hemsky WILL be a player like that, but I can’t see it happening until he’s 25/26 at least.

23. uni says:

Not to get too far off topic but I know perfectly well what a ‘dirty bomb’ is. I was thinking along the lines of the earlier model nukes that had a higher amount of ‘fission’ material, in the strictest sense that is a ‘dirty bomb’.

It was only after ‘clean’ bombs came about that the whole idea of ‘seeding’ or ‘salting’ nukes intentionally came about, to the current incarnation of dirty bombs using conventional explosives to disperse radioactive material.

If you’re talking about conventional weapons used to disperse highly radioactive material, then the point still stands, it doesn’t take a genius or a front page story to inform people that it’s not good.

I understand that you’re a highly informed and well read individual Cosh, just don’t assume I’m completely uninformed or don’t read at all.

24. Art Vandelay says:

He works at the National Post. What else do you expect.

25. Art Vandelay says:

Marty York story.
    Back when the idiots in charge couldn’t recognize that Duhatschek was the Herald’s best writer, they decided they needed a marquee sports columnist. So they told the sports editor at the time to go get Mitch Albom of the Detroit Free Press. Even before he was spending Tuesday’s with Mory (Maury? who cares, really), Albom was way out of the Herald’s league.
    When that embarassing phone call was out of the way, the morons decided Marty York was their man, even though he was a horrible writer and any claim to being an expert at anything, much less the CFL, was dubious at best. But he accepted. And then declined when his wife said, “Calgary? No fucking way.”
    So they turned to a guy who had hosted some shitty CBC show. And had been repeatedly told by serious (i.e. Toronto) newspapers that there was no way he was ever going to be their columnist. Which is how Bruce Dowbigging became the Herald’s semi-retarded sports columnist, instead of Marty York or Mitch Albom.
    I can say without fear of contradiction that I gain more perspective from a week’s worth of Lowetides than a lifetime of Matheson, FatMan Jones, Dowbigging, et al.

26. McLea says:

York picked the Lions to go 18-0 on August 1st.

They haven’t won since.

That’s why Marty gets paid the big bucks.

27. Andy Grabia says:

Dennis, I thought he looked pretty awesome in that SJ series. He still has those flashes that leave you speechless. But it’s too inconsistent because of injury. Would he take a lower base salary with a ton of incentives for GP and such? I dunno. But it’s sure as hell worth the phone call. He’s the closest thing in hockey to a Ken Griffey Jr.

28. Black Dog says:

Marty York spent the entire NBA season and most of the summer claiming Sam Mitchell was not coming back.

And then they signed him to an extension.

On top of being inaccurate he is a jerk.