Peca Heads to Columbus

Mike Peca signed with the Blue Jackets tonight

Apparently a one year deal with plenty of incentives.

I don’t know Columbus well enough to suggest what the depth chart looks like, except to say that Fedorov and Peca would seem to be the logical “heavy lifting” options at C if they are healthy. Manny Malhotra also comes with a reputation of being a solid defensive centermen so maybe they’ll move someone to the wing and give Dan Fritsche a chance to play against the soft opposition (he appears to be the young C with the most offensive potential, correct me if I’m wrong).

I like the signing, because it forces all the question marks farther down the depth chart and gives the Jackets another player with nice secondary skills. We know firsthand that Peca can be a Peca when he wants to be, but we also saw some splendid hockey from him not so very long ago.

Go Jackets.

12 Responses to "Peca Heads to Columbus"

1. oilerdiehard says:

Looking at the Jackets board they seem to feel he is going to get slotted in on their 2nd scoring line. We seen that show before and it did not work out so well.

I seen a quote earlier in the Summer Peca wished Toronto had used him in a more offensive role like Edmonton did. So I wonder if he got that assurance from the Jackets?

2. grease trap says:

How is it possible to resist terrible puns? Answer: it isn’t.

Glad to see you back and posting after your seventeen hour hiatus!

Mike Peca, the marvelous bastard. He came, he saw, he sulked…until it was time for him to work for a new contract. It’ll be interesting to see exactly how much motivation they can draw out of him in Columbus.

Also, as a grubbing aside Mr.Tide, would you care to add my blog to your list? It’s a little thing that shows little promise, but I like it all the same.

3. Art Vandelay says:

can’t…resist…
    /saw/

4. Pleasure Motors says:

Don’t forget Brule, who’s probably better than last year’s bed-shitting would suggest. I assume Peca will probably trade second/fourth line duties with him; the kid will get PP time, Peca will get PK time, and the rest will be decided by how they’re playing any given day.

The problem with Peca was more his salary than his play, though: if he came cheap, there’s nothing much for Columbus to complain about—if anyone can find a use for Peca, it’s probably someone like Hitchcock.

5. MikeP says:

I had no problem with Peca’s salary after the playoffs he put in. That run expiated all sins in my book. If he can still play like that, he’s worth a couple million a year, warts and all.

Of course, that only helps if you make the playoffs.

But somebody should tell him that when you’re at 0.3PPG and 0.1 goals a game, you’re not really second-line material. (Those numbers are less Jarret Stoll and more Georges Laraque, after all.)

That’s ok though; as I just told my wife, I’d be over the moon if I was some NHL team’s third-line centre, and noted for my playoff performances, leadership, and checking ability.

6. Big T says:

Not sure if you actually mean “Go Jackets” or not but I find myself strangely drawn to them.

I have a real affinity for hard luck teams apparently; The Oilers, The Oakland A’s and now the Jackets. WTF???

Maybe I think that Howson is actually a little more Billy Bean than the current management in Edmonton and that’s what draws me to them. Who knows?

T

7. OYLer says:

Not sure if you’re being Straight with us with your: “Go Jackets” conclusion. But then your journalistic humour has always been Blue.

Peca has peaked, puddered, playoffed, and then puckered. In Columbus he’ll probably peter out while being peckish until postseason retirement.

8. jon says:

For the most part I’ve liked what Howson has been doing in Columbus. They’ve got some high-end youth that needs to be brought along after a few years at the bottom and he’s made some savvy signings accordingly that suit his coach’s style on the cheap (Hejda, Peca). It’ll be interesting to see where the team goes in the next few years.

The Toronto and Buffalo offers must have really, really sucked for Peca to go back to a Western team with western travel, where he couldn’t sleep in his own bed in his home in suburban Buffalo.

Turns out automatically writing off Edmonton last year might not have been such a great idea.

10. Ribs says:

Columbus is one hurtin’ unit. Even with signing Peca they are left with huge holes down the middle.

Fedorov was reduced to playing defense for the latter part of last season and Svitov fleeing to Russia is a dagger to the Bluejackets heart.

When David Vyborny is your top scorer you know you’re in trouble.
    I really feel sorry for Rick Nash. What a waste.

11. Aram Dellalian says:

go jackets??

Pun? What pun? :-)

I think Columbus is going to be a lot better this season, and when some of the big contracts are off the books we’ll see what Howson can do with 9+ million.

Lowe got Souray and Penner, will Howson better than next summer? Will the Oilers end up higher in the 06-07 standings in the WC than Columbus?

Interesting fall-winter ahead.