Top 36 All Time

Joe Pelletier at Legends of Hockey is requesting input on the top 36 players of All-Time.

It’s a mammoth task really, because clearly we’re going to have to rely on what the previous generations tell us about the Eddie Shore’s and the Doug Harvey’s, and we’re probably going to err on the side of the era we are most familiar with (in my case, 70s through today).

Still it’s a fun thing to do and although I really haven’t thought it out as much as I should, here’s my 36 with the team they are most associated with:

Original 6

Boston: Eddie Shore, Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Ray Bourque
Chicago: Bobby Hull, Glenn Hall, Stan Mikita
Detroit: Gordie Howe, Ted Lindsay, Terry Sawchuk, Red Kelly, Sergei Fedorov, Nik Lidstrom
Montreal: Howie Morenz, Maurice Richard, Jean Beliveau, Doug Harvey, Jacques Plante, Guy Lafleur, Larry Robinson, Patrick Roy
Toronto: Syl Apps, Ted Kennedy, Frank Mahovlich

Expansion
Buffalo: Dominik Hasek
Colorado: Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg
Edmonton: Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Paul Coffey, Jari Kurri
NYI: Bryan Trottier, Denis Potvin
Philadelphia: Bobby Clarke
Pittsburgh: Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr

I’ve nicked the Russians way too much, and from the look of it probably rewarded defensemen from the 70s a hair too much. Kurri’s on the list and call it a homer pick but he stays.

13 Responses to "Top 36 All Time"

1. goldenchild says:

Federov over Yzerman?

2. momentai says:

Why do you think that Yzerman suddenly became thought of as such a complete player? Federov was playing shotgun at center behind him.

Under Scotty Bowman, Federov was clearly the favored player over Yzerman. Heck, Federov even played defense under Scotty. That shows you the trust right there for him.

3. Shadow says:

Kurri should definitely be on there; he’s nearly the most underrated player in the game.

The man is 3rd in Playoff history, and 18th in regular season history. It’s ridiculous to leave him out of any list.

I found it insulting when the Hockey News placed him at #50 on their list.

4. PDO says:

Well, my era is basically the 90s through today, so my list will be even more biased… ;)

Original 6:

Boston: Eddie Shore, Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Cam Neely, Adam Oates, Phil Esposito
    Chicago: Chris Chelios, Bobby Hull
    Detroit: Gordie Howe, Sergei Fedorov, Niklas Lidstrom, Steve Yzerman, Brendan Shanahan
    Montreal: Maurice Richard, Jean Beliveau, Doug Harvey, Jacques Plante, Guy Lafleur, Larry Robinson
    Toronto: Frank Mahovlich

Expansion:

Buffalo: Dominik Hasek
    Calgary: Al MacInnis
    Colorado: Joe Sakic, Patrick Roy
    Edmonton: Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Paul Coffey, Jari Kurri
    LA: Marcel Dionne
    NYI: Bryan Trottier, Denis Potvin
    Hartford: Ron Francis
    Philly: Bobby Clarke
    Pittsburgh: Mario Lemeixu, Jaromir Jagr

… can my 36th pick be Crosby? ;) I’m fully willing to admit that Shanny and Neely are pure bias on my part as well.

5. Jesse says:

I think you’re all forgetting a little hall-of-famer by the name of Dick Duff :)

6. Chris says:

That’s a pretty solid list LT, as far as I see the only glaring omission is Mike Bossy.

Chris: I had to decide between Bossy, Brett Hull and Forsberg. I went with the better overall player.

To be honest, I think we should have “peak” value and “career” value, two different lists.

Honestly, the hardest guy to keep off the list was Bernie Parent. He really should be on it.

8. Chris says:

Well I’d probably take Bossy over Sergei Federov. Federov was always a really good player but I never really saw him as being an elite player in the same way a Forsberg, a Lemieux, or Messier was.

Furthermore between Bossy and Federov, Bossy played ten seasons and of those ten season 9 times he scored fifty or more goals. Fedorov scored 50+ once. Bossy had 7 100 + point seasons, while Fedorov has had only two. Those stats seem to me to indicate that in a list of elite players, Mike Bossy is far more worthy than Sergei Federov.

Not to say Federov hasn’t had an amazing career, and if you stretch the list out to fifty I’d say he’s definately on it.

9. Joe Pelletier says:

Thanks for the link Lowetide, and for the input. I’ve been a big fan of your site and its historical twists on todays events you cover. Sheer Brilliance.

Give me an email at teamcanada72@gmail.com . I’d love to talk hockey with you and maybe even collaborate on a project or two.

In 1972, in the Canada-Russia series, in games Serge Savard played, Canada was 4 wins, 1 tie, 0 losses.

In games Serge Savard didn’t play, Canada was 0 wins, 3 losses.

If Serge hadn’t of broken both legs in his career…

11. Andy Grabia says:

Nobody else thinks that goalie from New Jersey should be on this list?

12. Kyle says:

Strongly disagree. Federov never had the talent or heart of Yzerman, and playing defence was more of a message/lesson than a show of pure confidence.

I would agree with you LT on the peak/career lists being different. Contrast your omission of Parent compared with Broduer. Broduer may never get Parent’s single season or Roy’s playoff wins, but by god if he isn’t the most consistently excellent goaltender…

Also, I would agree with PDO. MacInnis would be on my list any day.

Andy: Glenn Resch?