In just a few short weeks we can see what MacT is going to do with the D pairings, we can see if Marc Pouliot really did improve his strength and conditioning, we can begin to get an idea about which of the young forwards will emerge from the pack and score some goals for a team badly needing a Calder candidate.
Here’s a list of things I think we’ll see this fall in Oilers camp:
- The goaltending will look as good as it has in many years because the Oilers have two guys who can play well in the NHL.
- The D pairings will be Souray-Staios, Pitkanen-Greene and Smid-Tarnstrom on opening night.
- Denis Grebeshkov will be the 7D.
- Mathieu Roy will end up in New Jersey on waivers.
- Tom Gilbert will have a terrific training camp but will be a victim of numbers and play over 50 games in the AHL.
- The Oilers powerplay will be so good we won’t recognize it. Hemsky to Souray will be the most quoted refrain in camp and give hope to Oiler fans for 07-08.
- Robert Nilsson will not hold on to the 2line job through the end of camp.
- The most impressive kids in camp will be (in no specific order) Andrew Cogliano, Ryan O’Marra, Tyler Spurgeon and Devan Dubnyk.
- Opening night forward lines will be (c-lw-rw): Horcoff-Penner-Hemsky, Stoll-Torres-Pisani, Pouliot-Moreau-Sanderson and Reasoner-Thoresen-Stortini.
- Pressbox forwards opening night: Kyle Brodziak, Robert Nilsson.