Patrick Thoresen is a real nice player, does lots of things well. Late in tonight’s game, after the Oilers spent several minutes unable to hem the Canucks in their own zone, he barrel-assed into the Canuck zone and forced the play. First pressure in forever, the team got some traction and shortly thereafter Hemmer scored to tie the game.
I’m not saying he did it single handedly, and maybe it’s me reading too much into the play. However, Thoresen is one of those players who can give his team a lift in several ways: a goal, a nice pass, a check, maybe an aggressive forecheck.
Some other notes on the night:
- That Kemp guy needs to get sent down soon.
- Smid looks good to me. Blocked shots, a hit, some nice passes.
- Cogliano continues the parade of impressive outings by the kids. I have no idea where Rob Schremp is on the C depth chart now, but MacT probably needs to give him a night with wingers like Penner or Hemsky before it gets unfair.
- Jacques did some things tonight. Got a major, hit some people.
- I admit to a giggle when Souray scored. That was real nice.
- Brodziak looks like an NHL veteran now. Talk about arriving right on time. IF the Oilers make the playoffs in the spring and I hear one damn word about the drafting job 2001-07 I’ll scream.
- Slava Trukhno is my new favorite Oilers prospect. He was before, but now it’s reaching Pouliot proportions. Jeez he’s a nice prospect.
- How on earth do they send Tom Gilbert down?
- Ales Hemsky had 3 takeaways, a goal and an assist.
- Gagner looked 18 years old tonight.
It’s always fun to guess who’ll get sent down, I’ll go with Syvret, Simon, Kemp, Huxley, Rourke, Johansson sometime this weekend.