MacT’s Comments

Most important thing to follow in Oilers camp is what the coach says. MacT has a tendency to calls ‘em as he sees ‘em (at least this time of year) so it’s pretty easy to suss out.

Yesterday’s pc included some nice things about Hemsky (they need him to be in the top 20 in terms of overall scoring) and the fact that the veterans arrived in very good condition. He talked about the intense offseason and how much the organization tried to do in order to improve the team.

The usual clap trap.

On Penner: He moves well, and he can move the puck well. Strong on the puck. MacT liked what he saw, it’s early. He said Penner made lots of plays out there today.

On Gagner: First time he’d seen him play in person. He said any player going through their first camp has to feel their way in to a certain degree. He thinks he’ll settle down and play better as he gets more comfortable.

On Souray: Huge special team numbers. He’s going to have a huge impact on the PP. He likes the thought of having Stollie with him back there on the PP. Certainly on the 5 on 3, he’ll be a major player on the 5 on 3. “We’ll try to put together a pair that we want to match up against the other team’s best line that probably won’t include Sheldon.”

On the kids: Everyone is starting with a clean slate, it’s going to be a camp that is based on what you do during camp. There are a lot of opportunities here. He says he has no misgivings about starting the season with a lot of young guys. Schremp and Cogliano and Gagner and Nilsson are all in the mix. I don’t recall MacTavish ever saying that kind of thing, fall 2000 through last year.

EDIT TO ADD:

Punjabioil was kind enough to pass this along in the “comments” section. I missed it completely, but it’s an important item from the Edmonton Journal:

And Schremp did have a chance to shine on the opening day of camp, skating between Ales Hemsky and Ryan O’Marra.”I don’t know that I’m at the point where I expect him to make the team. He’s very capable,” coach Craig MacTavish said. “I do think the injury set him back a little bit but we’re much open to the possibility.”He’s making progress and very seldom do guys develop incrementally. It’s always a jagged curve.”It’s just a case of getting him physically strong enough and fast enough that he can compete against guys who are really strong and really fast.”

7 Responses to "MacT’s Comments"

1. Black Dog says:

Hey LT, do you read anything in Pouliot being on the wing? Perhaps they are thinking of he and Torres/Moreau flanking Stoll while the other LW shepherds a couple of kids through soft minutes?

2. Pat says:

I haven’t been a big backer of MacT in the slightest, but I see cause for hope, given your report/his quotes.

The Souray aspect of your report is a bit reassuring, though maybe I’m reading to much into it – I hope that it means that MacT won’t try to redevelop Souray into a defensive defenseman.

Also, if MacT stays true to his willingness to play the kids, then that’s great. We need to give them the opportunity to develop, especially in a year where we’re not scarcely even pegged to make the playoffs. Make this year productive in the long term.

3. PunjabiOil says:

MacT on Schremp (todays EJ)

“I don’t know that I’m at the point where I expect him to make the team. He’s very capable,” coach Craig MacTavish said. “I do think the injury set him back a little bit but we’re much open to the possibility.

“He’s making progress and very seldom do guys develop incrementally. It’s always a jagged curve.

“It’s just a case of getting him physically strong enough and fast enough that he can compete against guys who are really strong and really fast.”

4. Dennis says:

Well, Souray put up those minus numbers playing some times on the third pairing and he never hauled any of the heavy mail because that was for Markov/Kommisarek. Plus, I’d say that the NW division is harder than the NE so you might be able to tack on another 7 to 10 goals on his plus/minus had he played with the Oilers in ’07. So, keeping that in mind, I’m not surprised that MacT doesn’t have his slotted for the top pairing;)

Interesting choice of words regarding RS though. You would think that a guy with that much skill who’s already put in a year in the A, that’s the kind of kid that the Oilers would have slotted for a spot this year. Then MacT mentions his skating and conditioning so it’s almost like he’s saying that he might be good enough not to be a huge minus, and let’s be honest he’s never gonna play tough min anyway, but there are still issues with his stride and his work in the gym.

Dennis: I think MacT may also be talking about the injury Schremp had putting him behind.

As to Souray, agree completely. But here in EDM, LOTS of people believe Souray is the replacement for Pronger. Top pair, 30 mins, shutdown, impact.

And no I am not kidding.

6. Ribs says:

Just to note, Souray was 30th in the league in TOI last year. Right behind Markov. He was getting more ice time than he really should have and that did indeed contribute to his minus numbers.

I watched as many Habs games as I could last year (hoping Souray was legit) and they worked him hard. Third periods were particularily frustrating to him and yet they kept sending him out there all of the time.

I think MacTavish is a smarter coach and won’t allow that kind of thing.

7. HBomb says:

People need to understand right off the bat that Sheldon Souray is NOT Chris Pronger, nor is he anywhere close to that level?

I don’t mind Souray as a person (he seems well spoken and genuinely happy to be here), but I have a serious philosophical problem with paying a D-man 5.4 million per season over five years if I can’t put that guy out on the ice head-to-head with the other team’s best forwards.

Sigh, couldn’t they have got Smyth retained and signed Hannan instead of signing Souray and giving that offer sheet to Penner? Would that have been too much to ask?