Through something called the “NHL Video Portal” and an 11 year old who knows way more than her Daddy about a lot of things, I was able to enjoy a pre-season game between Toronto and the Oilers.
Slava Trukhno had a nice game tonight, scoring the first Oiler goal and being credited with an assist on Shawn Horcoff’s goal later in the game. Trukhno backed up the scoring with a nice display of that “wide variety of skills” they talk about and he should get at least another game in the pre-season.
Shawn Horcoff was the offensive story, scoring the tying goal in regulation and then setting up the winner by the Oilers new Chaos Defensemen, Denis-Andre Grebeshkov. “Grebs” is a high event player who probably needs an eye test based on the large number of errant passes this evening.
I’m not going to give the minutes and such like I did last night (nhl.com is slow getting this stuff updated), but here are a few other things:
- Ladislav Smid: Looks good compared to last season. Still a young defender so mistakes should be expected, but he seems to be building on last season.
- Matt Greene: I think he maybe just likes the penalty box.
- Denis Grebeshkov: I don’t care if he has a one way deal, or that he scored the winner tonight, he cannot be one of the 6 best defensemen in camp based on what we’ve seen so far this pre-season.
- Carter & Roy: Hopefully they’re okay, Carter looked out of it.
- Pouliot: Played pretty well but the results seem to be going to his competition in terms of scoring. Played fewer than 15 minutes in regulation according to nhl.com, and that’s with Anson Carter playing just 2:39. One assumes he’ll show better when the rosters begin to tighten up, but he should be having more offensive impact in these games.
- Robert Nilsson: He did a lot of nice things in this game. Saw some effort coming back a few times, he looked confident with the puck.
- Andrew Cogliano: Looks like he’s decided to join the “Gagner-Schremp-Cogliano” three-legged race MacT set up with his quote before TC opened. It is as of now impossible not to see Todd Marchant when Cogliano has the puck because of extreme speed similarities. Pray God he has better hands (as the scouts claim), but even if he doesn’t a Marchant at #25 in the draft is a good pick.
- Danny Syvret: Looked out of place, he’ll be sent out soon.
- Jonas Almtorp: He looks really good out there, smart hockey player.
- Zack Stortini: Did I see him take a faceoff and win it?
- Devan Dubnyk: I know very little about goalies except that watching them always reminds me of the season I had Mitch Williams as my closer in my roto league, but he looked good to me.
- Garon: Made a tremendous save early (I believe off Darcy Tucker), save of the night for the Oilers.