Oilers Official TC List Released

He looks like he’s 12 and this photo looks like a still from a Disney movie (“The Magic Blonde Boy who Had a Broom Up His Ass”) but he apparently has some excellent raw skills (skated 88 miles last night).

The Oilers released their training camp list today. I squinted, looked at it upside down, had my daughter skim it for anything interesting to the pre-teen set, and yet nothing screamed “this year’s Patrick Thoresen.”

Here’s what I did find interesting:

1. We don’t like the Finns like we used to, as only Pitkanen is on the roster from Canada Europe.
  2. There are 16 kids from Ontario (I’m including O’Marra).
  3. This team will be fun to watch because Ales Hemsky is on it.
  4. There are 9 players on the list under six feet, and 4 of them are 1st rd picks.
  5. Dustin Penner is 245 pounds. If I change my mind on him, is it okay to erase the “Can Penn and Teller Make this Disappear?” post? The 21.5 Hicke too? 245 pounds, egad. If he could be a miserable puss for five shifts a night anything could happen.
  6. The lightest forward is Andrew Cogliano, at 178.
  7. William Quist. There have been exactly 12 players with the last name of “Q” in NHL history. Bill & Max Quackenbush, Joel & Leo Quenneville, John Quilty, Kyle Quincey, Dan & Pat Quinn, Ken Quinney, Deron Quint, Stephane Quintal, JF Quintin. That’s all I could find.
  8. O’Marra was born in Tokyo. A guy named Mark Kaufmann played 3 AHL games in 95-96 was also born there, and low minor leaguer Nobumasa Kinugasa is listed as having been born there.
  9. There are 36 forwards on the TC roster. 15 played one game or more in the NHL last season.
  10. Sam Gagner and Slava Trukhno were the only two players to exceed 100 points in their league this past season. but Milan Kyntar had over 100 total in the two leagues he played in.
  11. My nominee for this year’s Thoresen is Jonas Almtorp.
  12. My nominee for this year’s Tobias Petersen is Ryan Flinn.
  13. There are 60 players on the TC list. 10 were born in the 1970s.

I believe that 10 years from now we’ll look back at the 07-08 Oilers and say “man they had a lot of talent.” There’s just not enough ready for the show this fall.

9 Responses to "Oilers Official TC List Released"

1. Dennis says:

Why doesn’t anyone talk about Dan Quinn and Mario’s adventures anymore?

2. goldenchild says:

“This is Bill Quist. Kenta Nilsson “saw him good” as he played ball hockey between two grey Saabs behind his house one afternoon, so the Oilers nabbed him.”
    hahahaha thats a beauty.
    Call me cynicle if you like but the fact that Kenta has found as many NHL players from Sweden for the Oilers as Fraser found in Mexico, I’m not gonna get overly excited about anyone that wore the 3 crowns.

I have no idea who will be this years Thoreson but I am curious about how last years Thoreson will do. He never seemed lost out there to me and with a year under his belt and the confidence that should bring not to mention a pretty good opportunnity for him to find a spot somehwre in the top 9, maybe he has a little more offence to offer this year.

3. Steve says:

There are 60 players on the TC list. 10 were born in the 1970s.

And two of those are Rick Berry and Ben Simon.

4. Vic Ferrari says:

In fairness to Kenta, he did have a hardon for Zetterburg in his draft year, but the Oilers balked. He was the only Oiler scout to have seen him play.

It would be easy to forgive him if Oiler mgmt had listened to him then, and then ignored him the next year when he was the only guy to have seen Mihknov play.

5. Dennis says:

Well, one Zetterberg pick would make up for a lot of mistakes for sure;) but it appears that’s all that Kenta had to offer.

6. jon says:

It should probably be noted that someone in Europe recommended the signing of Thoresen before anyone else in the NHL, and he appears to be quite a player.

7. Asiaoil says:

Well in fairness that was an awful draft year full of first round busts and particularly Russian busts. Mikhnov is far from the worst first round pick that year. Too bad Kenta liked tractor boy instead of Frolov or Volchenkov who were taken a couple of picks later

8. Lord Bob says:

Russians in general bust at a lot higher rate than other nationalities. There’s probably a good blog post in that, somebody.

9. rickibear says:

The new jerseys from nhl. Oilers I hope not.

Camp starts today.