I did this in August (Monday the 6th) and figured it is time to do it again.
I’ve reduced this edition to an easier to follow group (actually I reduced it by one). There are some guys on the original list that are extremely unlikely to be on the parent club’s training camp roster (which should be official and published tomorrow).
Anyway, here’s my list.
- RW David Rohlfs, 23: There is some buzz about the college forwards in this camp (McDonald and Paukovich specifically) but Rohlfs is a guy who probably ends up in the AHL early in camp.
- LW Liam Reddox, 21: Would need to have an incredible camp to stay past week one imo, he does have a nice mix of grit and “pestiness” (not to be confused with pesting) from reports I’ve read on him.
- LW Stephane Goulet, 21: Big winger scored 15 goals in the ECHL last season. I don’t think there are 20 Oiler fans who really know the difference between Stephane Goulet and Liam Reddox, and I’m not one of the 20.
- LW Tim Sestito, 23: 2-way winger with grit who hasn’t played much in the AHL since turning pro.
- C Fredrik Johansson, 23: Apparently has shown well very early this fall, he’s a guy who might last a little longer than normal because he was sent away so quickly last season (first cut, due to a misunderstanding with his Swedish club).
- D Theo Peckham, 19: All positive reports on this guy, all he’s lacking is experience and that’s what he’ll get in the minors this season. He can’t get into NHL action this season, because the Oilers signed two thousand defensemen in the offseason.
- RW Troy Bodie, 22: Huge winger got into 14 AHL games last season and he should play the entire year on the AHL farm team in 07-08.
- D T.J. Kemp, 26: Oilers signed him July 17. He’s an AHL defender. He’s a depth signing for the new AHL farm club.
- G Glenn Fisher, 24: .919SP in college this past season, and he’ll be the only first year pro among the Oilers’ goalie prospects.
- D Allan Rourke, 26: He’s played over 400 AHL games and 42 in the NHL (11 last year), he would have played 50 NHL games if he’d been an Oiler farmhand one year ago.
- D Bryan Young, 21: MacTavish likes him.
- G Jeff Deslauriers, 23: He’s buried now at the NHL level.
- D Danny Syvret, 22: Is now pretty much buried for this upcoming season.
- D Sebastian Bisaillon, 20: He has a quality shot and does some nice things. I don’t want to get ahead of myself here (like THAT’S happened ever!) but his career is somewhat similar at the lower levels to MA Bergeron’s.
- RW Colin McDonald, 23: Oilers signed him to a 2-year entry level contract on July 17. He’s a coke machine who might end up putting up better results than he did in college. Scored a goal tonight in the Rookies-Golden Bears game.
- G Devan Dubnyk, 21: .921SP as a rookie pro was 3rd best in the ECHL. Played in the Rookies-Golden Bears game tonight and apparently played well.
Guys with Less than 10% Chance to make the Oilers
- LW Ryan Flinn, 27: Signed a one year deal July 17, here’s a guy who I can see playing a few games in the NHL this season.
- C Tyler Spurgeron, 21: I’d actually give him a better chance to make the Oilers if he were a year or two older (or if the Oilers didn’t already have Brodziak on the roster).
- LW Slava Trukhno, 20: I can hardly wait to see this guy play. He got into two pre-season games a year ago, and impressed many at the Golden Bears game. He had a tremendous amount of PP time in the same game tonight and came up dry.
- C Jonas Almtorp, 23: He’s the Euro Thoresen for this camp I’d say.
- LW JF Jacques, 22: He made the big club a year ago and didn’t take advantage of the opportunity. I’d bet he starts the year in the AHL and is recalled after ripping it up.
- C Ryan O’Marra, 20: He’s healthy and ready to go, but I think the Oilers will go another direction (at least to start the season).
- D Tom Gilbert, 24- A “perfect storm” offseason for the Oilers appears to have robbed him of his first real NHL shot.
Guys with Less than a 50% Chance of Making the Oilers
- C Sam Gagner: He had zero chance on my last list, but Sweatyo suggested that he was a better bet than that and I know speeds felt the same. The Oilers are a little bit about exciting the fanbase this fall and Gagner is very famous after the CDA-USSR series.
- D Mathieu Roy, 24- One thing he has going for him is that his skillset fits nicely with the Oilers most pressing need on D.
- C Rob Schremp, 21: MacT said that other day that he felt that one of Schremp, Gagner or Cogliano would have to make the team or it would be a big disappoinment (I’m paraphrasing here).
- C Andrew Cogliano, 20: Of all the first year pro’s, Cogliano has the best shot imo to make the team out of camp.
Guys with Better than 50% Chance of Making the Oilers
- RW Zack Stortini, 22 in Sept: Pretty much all his arrows are pointing in the right direction.
- D Denis Grebeshkov, 23: Physical player who can move the puck, he has a nice range of skills and has a one way deal.
- LW Robert Nilsson, 22: He looks to be the guy who will get first shot at the 2line minutes this fall.
- C Kyle Brodziak, 23: After the Pisani injury, I don’t know how they can keep him off the team.
Opening Night Lineup 07-08
Goal: Roloson, Garon
First Pairing: Pitkanen-Staios
Second Pairing: Souray, Tarnstrom
Third Pairing: Smid-Greene
Extras: Cogliano, Stortini