Flyers at Oilers, G2/07-08

This is Edgar Patenaude. Rusty. Groovy sideburns, Rusty. You see, that’s why guys from my era were tougher than today’s kids. I mean, you walk down the street with those sideburns, wearing Hai Karate, you had to be able to defend yourself. Chances are you didn’t get up until noon, and your Dad called you and your friends “hoods” or “hippies.”

Rusty Patenaude was not a hippie. He came from Williams Lake, BC and was a wonderful player for the Edmonton Oilers of the WHA. Since Mark Messier in a Stinger uniform was successful for G1, I’m going to try Rusty today.

Rock on, Rusty, wheverer you are. Bet your hair is shorter and you can still pick a corner.

As for the Oilers tonight, Pouliot has apparently drawn into the lineup although it’s possible he’ll fall down the stairs or take a bit of MacT’s sandwich before his skates hit the ice in anger.

The lines apparently start like this:

1. Horcoff-Penner-Hemsky
  2. Stoll-Torres-Nilsson
  3. Reasoner-Sanderson-Brodziak
  4. Cogliano-Gagner-Pouliot

If Marc Pouliot gets a similar ATOI total to the JF Jacques number the other night (maybe three minutes) he should pull a Nelson Santovenia and ask to be sent to the minors. Jacques and Mikhnov died at the end of MacT’s bench last fall and it looks like the coach is going to roll 3 lines plus whoever hasn’t pissed him off from the fringe bunch. On D:

1. Pitkanen-Staios
  2. Souray-Greene
  3. Tarnstrom-Gilbert

I imagine the Pitkanen-Staios combo will get the heavy work against Briere, Gagne and Gary Dornhoefer. The Oilers have a beauty chance at a nice start here, here’s hoping they can do it tonight.

PS, All the best to Jason Smith. Quality player left it all on that sheet of ice he’ll play on tonight.

28 Responses to "Flyers at Oilers, G2/07-08"

1. Nelson88 says:

Good luck to MP. Still hoping he is just a slow starter who will gain traction when he believes he can prosper in the show. Maybe he’ll get some good bounces tonight.

Hope the Rexall fans give Smith the warm welcome he deserves. Class individual all the way. Lupul….we’ll I just hope the crowd is respectful :)

2. Doogie says:

3-1 Oilers on The Most Exciting Play in Hockey. Raffi does what he does on Zoolander, Gator does his duty, and Hemmer with the hat trick

3. trader says:

LT, remember the call we always heard..”Perkins over to Baird… Patenaude offside”. Rusty had great wheels.

Could not agree more on Jason Smith, hopefully the fans give him a standing O, he deserves it.

4. Doogie says:

I missed a word: “Gator reluctantly does his duty”

5. mc79hockey says:

Great tribute for Smith. When does the Lupul video play?

6. K says:

Okay, that last play by the kids was fucking beautiful. My jaw lay on the floor at the beautiful patience of Gagner. That had me way, way excited.

7. Julian says:

what was the smith video thing? fucking sopcast isn’t working so well. keep me updated here folks….

8. mc79hockey says:

Lupul just punched MAP in the face.

9. fever4flames says:

LUPUL is running circles around the COIL tonite. beauty play just now gives philly the goal.

10. Dennis says:

Anyone else find it a bit rough watching Smith holding back the tears? He had the old crying face on and I think a couple of tears escaped.

Loved the backcheck by Gagner to negate the scoring opp but his lack of size shows up in the corners. Nilsson’s a pretty good playmaker thus far.

11. K says:

Speaking of two former Oilers, Big Georges made a nice play on the cycle to bring the puck to the net and Sykora potted in the rebound.

Was good to see. I miss GL. Shook his hand once at West Ed, his hand pretty much engulfed my hand right to the wrist, he was massive.

12. PunjabiOil says:

They showed a clip on HNIC. Even MacT was clapping and emotional.

Good on the crowd. Hopefully Smyth gets similar treatment

13. Andy Grabia says:

I want fever4flames to comment during every game. We are two for two so far with him yapping off.

14. Ribs says:

The Smith tribute was great. With that and seeing Pisani look heartbroken in the pressbox, it was a pretty emotional game.

Three cheers to MacT for not having the Wildebeests on the ice for the last 1:40 of the game with the lead in hand.

Sanderson’s looking like a gem. Good to see him and Pitkanen on the scorecard against their old club.

The kids didn’t look as good as they did last game, but still didn’t embarrass themselves. Brodziak and Pouliot had the most jump from my estimation.

15. BROOKLYN_oiler says:

Sanderson had a solid game. Pitkanen was alright, but I thought Staios was a bit sketchy tonight – trying to stick-check Briere when he had him against the boards right before the goal, and earlier he and Pitkanen getting split by Briere – but somehow came up plus three…

It seems that based on this game, when Moreau is ready, Sanderson has to stay in – I’m assuming shuffling down to the fourth to play with Gagner and Cogliano?

16. BROOKLYN_oiler says:

Ribs,
    Pouliot had some jump, but Sanderson had the results – and good work along the boards – I think he takes Pouliot’s spot when Moreau comes back.

Sanderson also looked a little embarrassed – rightfully so – when took Brodziak’s empty netter… lol.

17. Rube Foster says:

LT – Not sure if you’re up for this but…For the next game might I request Eddie Joyal…and I’d like to dedicate the request to the nice people of St. Albert. You know, the place just down Mark Messier Trail from good old Edmonchuk.
    It feels good to be in first place don’t it?

rube: Eddie Joyal it is. As for first place, even more impressive is how this team is winning. We knew the goaltending would need to be good and that the D would have some lapses, but the secondary scoring (outside the Hemsky and Stoll lines) has been a big story imo.

Craig MacTavish may in fact BE Buck Rodgers, because Sanderson looks exactly like Otis Nixon right now.

19. fever4flames says:

Andy, since u seem to like my predictions so much, i’ve made a bunch more here

read em and weep! LOL

Geez…you think with the chemistry Sanderson, Reasoner, and Brodziak have going, that MacT will play Moreau with Cogliano and Gagner?

21. Dennis says:

Godot, I was thinking the exact same thing because chemistry is as hard to define as it is to find and if 8-19-51 have something good going, and early on they certainly do, then I don’t think it’s wise to break it up. That being said, I think MacT will put Moreau back in for Sanderson because in last night’s scrum he said that the 18-19-51 line scored on their first three shifts in the first ex game vs Fla so he’s obviously thinking about what he’s gonna do when Moreau returns.

Personally, I’d put Moreau on the 4th line with Cogs and have the other spot split between Pouliot and Gagner.

22. Bank Shot says:

Matt Greene was a brickhouse yet again. He bailed out the Souray a few times.

Souray can make the long pass though. He got trashed for that aspect before becoming an Oiler, but the critics were overzealous in that area me thinks.

Pouliot looked as good as he has looked with that kid line. They had some just dominating shifts early in the game and Pouliot was a big part of that winning puck battles and making heady plays.

23. Dennis says:

Pouliot is the muscle on that line, which is strange to say because the Oilers PPV cameras were in the Oilers room after last night’s first period and they showed Pouliot with just the blue Oilers undershirt on and the kid is very skinny. Maybe the guy has a hard time putting on weight or something but maybe his condition is a hint as to why he’s not getting more love from the Oilers.

I’m still not sold on Souray’s abilities with the puck but I am sold on the fact that he’s gonna be handling it a lot as long as Greene’s on his flank. Just as Smid deferred to Staios last year when it came to making a play, so shall Greene. Early on, though, I’m trying to look at the good parts of Souray’s game like how he’s nasty around his own net and how he’ll go looking for trouble like he did with Hatcher. You hope that rubs off on some fellows.

On the D pairings, I’d prefer that 24 and 25 were on seperate units with both having the ability to make a pass but you can’t pair Greene with Staios and then expect them not to get murdered against the top units and you can’t put Pitkanen with Souray and expect the same thing not to happen either. I’d be comfortable with Tarnstrom in the top four but that drops Greene with Gilbert and like it or lump it, this is the year that we give up points for the sake of Matt greene’s development.

Trader: Yes, I do. Do you remember when Plante played only the home games? Roger Clemens is just a copycat. :-)

25. Mr DeBakey says:

According to “Big Bucks & Blue Pucks” Patenaude retired to his ranch near Williams Lake BC

He retired the summer before Gretzky arrived.
    Man, it would’ve been fun to watch him on 99′s wing

26. RiversQ says:

Bank Shot said…
    Matt Greene was a brickhouse yet again. He bailed out the Souray a few times.

Funny, I thought Greene looked rough against SJ – he made one play standing up Cheechoo and got schooled most of the night. I thought most of the Oilers’ D looked less than mobile against SJ frankly.

27. OilerGirl says:

I am and always have been an Oiler fan from Williams Lake (living in Edmonton now). Tough growing up with all those Canuck fans!! Anyway, first time posting anything anywhere, but thought you might like to know Rusty Patenaude was still working in WL when I left in 2001. I believe he’s ranching/logging or something along those lines as I knew him only through work.

Oilergirl: Very cool. Thanks for the update.