Halloween

Hockey never really gets credit for its massive contribution to Halloween and horror movies.

Be safe. Happy Halloween.

Jacques Plante, you were miles ahead of the curve.

Also, Matt Greene was playing the best hockey of his career before last night’s injury. It looked awful. Don’t watch if this kind of thing makes you queasy.

19 Responses to "Halloween"

1. mattwatt says:

That injury seems like the hockey version of Willis McGahee, just with a ankle, not a knee.

2. ClaytonMagnet says:

Very Halloween-esque injury. The youngens will get all the development time they want for the next few weeks. There’s a story in the Sun this morning by Robert Tychkowski entitled “Pitkanen doesn’t expect to be back soon”. Looks like that Young-Dmen-for-Marian-Hossa trade will just have to wait…

3. Lord Bob says:

Not only are the Oilers oft-injured the last two seasons, an awful lot of their injuries seem to be ones like this: freak plays that just happen to possibly ruin a guy’s career. It would be one thing if other teams were taking liberties with us, but this is just insanely frustrating.

4. Bruce says:

Yeah, it even happened after the whistle. I have seen Dallas Drake involved in several other injury-causing collisions over the years — remember Boyd Devereaux? — but he seems blameless to me in this one. Just a freak, unfortunate fall.

But hey we got depth: Toung, Syvret, Bisaillon, all those guys who carried Oil down the stretch last year [shudder].

5. Oilman says:

Greens out 3 months with a broken ankle…surgery today as per Dan Tencer….remember the line “every time a bell rings an angle gets it’s wings”?….this is starting to look like “every time a Flame signs, an Oiler gets it’s medical leave”

6. Dennis says:

Well, Drake wasn’t blameless on the hit on 78 late in the third period period, though. I’ve always hated that guys guts and it seems like he always manages to get away with shit like that sure. Sure, Lacouture fought him the night he nearly killed Devo, but I always thought someone should’ve made it a point to try and get him for like the next two years he played against us. I tell you something else, Pahlsson can be a piece of shit too. He was the one who pearl harboured 16 last year to give him a concussion and he nearly did the same to Cogs on Sunday night as well.

Sleek says that he isn’t dirty, and I love how he does such a good job vs tough min, but I’ve always found him to be chippy and the hit on 16 tore it for him.

I’m not overly worried about Pitkanen, BTW. I was when I read that Sun blurn but later on I read the Journal and Joni said the knee’s feeling better every day, he should start hitting the bike this week and, overall, the doctors say he’ll be back in 3-4 weeks. Of course, it’s always a concern when any skater hurts his ankle, about the only time you don’t worry about an injury affecting effectiveness is when a grinder’s coming back from some sort of hand injury, but he does seem to be on course for a somewhat speedy return. I still get a Hecht vibe from him, though, in terms of being a one year Oiler. But I guess we’ll have to see about that.

BTW, no disrespect to Greene, who seems like a really good guy, but saying that Matt Greene’s playing his best hockey isn’t exactly a glowing review. It’s not like the guy’s ever been that good and if he has improved, it’s not by a great deal.

I really can’t rant and rave about the Oilers injury problems because we’ve had very good luck over the years and while losing Pitkanen hurt, it’s not like that in Souray’s absence, a guy like Gilbert hasn’t played better than Sheldon would.

I waiver back and forth on how much I should really watch this club. It’s terrible cheering for and investing time in a time where you absolutely can’t stand the GM and have ample evidence for which to file a claim of mistrust. On the ice, there’s only so good you can be when you fuck up the Pronger move and make an error in judgement on Smyth and then try and give his money to Nylander before Souray finally says yes.

When, or if, all 18-34-25 get back, this team will be better than it’s current edition but how much better? BTW, I didn’t include Souray because the Oilers will never use him like he should be used, ie playing third pairing EV min, so it’s not like anyone sane can say that a 20 min plus a night Souray is gonna significantly help this club.

About the only reason to watch this team now is to see how the kids make out.

7. Dennis says:

Yeah, isn’t it interesting that no one in the Edm media reported on the Kipper extension with a connection to how the Oilers didn’t feel it was worth doing that with Smyth?

8. Oilman says:

Smyth is in a better place now…I’ve moved on.

9. doritogrande says:

Looks as if Dan Syvret will be making his third consecutive appearance as an “I can’t believe they have so many injuries they’re resorting to me” callup. Greene’s gone for half the season and Souray is supposedly still about two weeks away.

10. Bruce says:

Agreed with dennis that Dallas Drake is a compleat prick, he’s of the Gary Roberts school that likes to hit a) high b) from behind c) late d) on an opponent in a vulnerable position and e) any or all of the above in combination. And they never seem to get called on it.

Haven’t quite got the same feeling for Pahlsson, I did see his cheap shot on Stoll last year but not enough other examples to tar him with the “constant offender” brush.

11. ClaytonMagnet says:

I say call up Allan Rourke. He’s on the verge of greatness.

12. Steve says:

Just think: if the Oilers hadn’t used up their fifty contracts on career AHL-ers, now would be the perfect opportunity to bring back Ulanov.

13. ClaytonMagnet says:

Maybe if we ask him nicely, he’ll play for us for free…just for old times’ sake.

14. danny says:

Well I can’t really remember when theres been as much a divide in what MacT has been doing and what the blogosphere thinks Mact would do…

Heres some comments from MacT in an article on NHL.com:

“These (comments) could come back to haunt me and I don’t normally throw these out there, but I’m not all that worried about the injuries on the back end,” MacTavish said.

“From what I’ve seen, with (who) we have healthy, we’re going to be able to overcome it.”

“On paper it looks like we don’t have a lot of experience, but the way they’re playing, they’re playing with a lot of poise,” MacTavish said. “Poise, really, is a bi-product of experience.

“I’m not concerned about the defence in the way I was last year, that’s for sure. We’re a lot deeper back there now and we can move the puck.”

Conventional wisdom states that MacT should be bathing in holy water doing his rosary beads on the nights before a game…

Maybe new NHL has defense results are driven through mobility, closing the gap between the Gilberts and the Regehrs? Grebeshkov is the new Cory Cross?

MacTs decisions have stumped the blogosphere this fall, and we aren’t talking about Kevin Lowe here… Maybe hes onto something… maybe the times, they are a changin’ ?

15. uni says:

Danny, MacT’s ‘optimisim’ and your post almost brings me to tears. Bless you both.

Oilers have a dandy road trip straight ahead. If the Oil go 3-1 the blueline stands up and the PP comes around then it’s all cool.

I think the blogosphere questioned the makeup of the D all down the line and imo if you look at the numbers the D is a bigger problem than 5×5 scoring, the goaltending or the penalty kill.

17. danny says:

LT I don’t think I’m stretching anything here in saying that the Goaltending, Powerplay and injuries have been major problems thus far, with turnovers being the ugly wart… theyve been pretty evenly distributed amongst fwds/D/vets.

Grebs is a turnover machine, but last nights game against DET was as close to a MacT blueprint performance as we have seen since the SCF… suprisingly though the tough minutes on D hadn’t a seasons experience between them.

I’m left wondering if there were any semblance of a powerplay hovering just under 20% and Roloson had a .915 sv%, what would our record be now? While we’re at it lets ask if we had Pisani and Moreau to start the season?

Pitkanen/Staios
    Gilbert/Souray
    Greene/Tarnstrom
    Grebeshkov/Smid

looks a lot better than it did starting the season IMO.

18. Dennis says:

It will be interesting to see just what a difference-maker 18 turns out to be because a lot of people seem to think he’s gonna be a big boon to this club.

Yes, I know he’s physical, he’s a good PKer and he plays tough min so, yeah, that’s obviously gonna be a help. But is there a chance that Moreau’s best days are behind him and that he’s not gonna be the player he was before these two injuries? Let’s remember, he’s been out for a very long time now and maybe just maybe, it’s all catching up to him.

Let’s face it, the guy’s gotten off pretty lucky games-missed wise for a fellow who plays like he does. Maybe it’s all catching up to him and as a guy who’s the same age as Moreau, I can tell you that my gym injuries don’t heal quite as fast as they used to. Once upon a time, I could push an ache or pain until it fully healed but now I just have to lay off and let it take it’s due course. Now I’m not saying I’m an elite athlete or anything but I am in decent shape and I don’t drink as much as I once did;) and I eat very healthy and I still have a tonne of energy, but it’s beginning to take longer for things to heal. I’d imagine the same goes for Moreau and I’m interested to see just how he comes back.

As for MacT on the D, I honestly don’t know anymore. I mean, I don’t expect him to say that he’s sick of living and that it’s all over;) but he seems pretty confident that a guy like Roy can replace Greene’s minutes and that it won’t come crashing down all of a sudden on kids like 5-37 and 77. We’re talking about a lot of kids here so there are gonna be setbacks.

LT, the PP isn’t fit to talk about. I’m even sick of Hemsky on that unit. 13 or 89 will come in for 40 seconds and do a walk from the corner and bam, we’re jamming the net and we’ve created a chance. Meanwhile, hemsky’s over in the circle making like Toller Cranstron. Despite the skill that MoFo has, we’re 13 games in and the unit still blows so when do we start to think that it’s just not gonna come around? I’d like to see MacT run a practice without even addressing it. At the end just say, “when we get a PP, run some give-and-go’s, look for a guy in the slot or just jam the net and try and score dirty.” I mean, fuck, it’s a manpower advantage where you’ve got more guys on the ice than the other team. How hard can it be to make that work? And it’s not like we’ve got five Bill Huard’s out there either. It’s just redicolous.

19. danny says:

I don’t expect too much from Moreau, or Pisani either as individuals, I guess its more of the two empowering MacT. His job is just easier when theyre out there I guess…

The penalty kill hasn’t been an issue so they arent going to be a boon to that area, on the contrary Moreau takes a tonne of bad penalties. Moreau is getting long in tooth but hes in the best shape of anyone the NHL not named Rod the bod and his training camp looked very promising.

I don’t know what to think anymore about the D.

I never thought I would say this but maybe you;re right, having T Cranston on the half boards is an issue now… maybe hes pretty easy to figure out over there.

lets get him a desk in the ol office down low for a stretch. Hes as good a passer as god himself, and it may give Penner something to whack at. It might even give stoll and Souray a little less attention having him as far away as possible.