Oilers Sign Gagner

The Edmonton Oilers signed Sam Gagner today. It looks like the kid is going to make the big club, at least for the 9 game (or is it 10?) stint.

For those of us who have crowed some about the Oilers amateur procurement department being better than it was in the 90s (well, no one really defended Barry Fraser in the 90s but I’ve decided to frame the issue this way) this training camp has been a watershed.

Andrew Cogliano, another mid-20s pick, looks to have won a spot in the majors. Gagner stepped over Schremp and Pouliot to make the grade first time out and added to Ales Hemsky and Jarret Stoll we can safely brag that Kevin Prendergast had a nice run near the top of the draft 2001-07:

1. #13 (2001) Ales Hemsky: Big hit
  2. #15 (2002) Jesse Niinimaki: Big miss
  3. #31 (2002) Jeff Deslauriers: Big miss
  4. #36 (2002) Jarret Stoll: A nice hit
  5. #22 (2003) Marc Pouliot: Looks like a useful NHL player
  6. #14 (2004) Devan Dubnyk: Too soon to tell
  7. #25 (2004) Rob Schremp: Too soon to tell
  8. #25 (2005) Andrew Cogliano: Made the team in first try
  9. #36 (2005) Taylor Chorney: Looks good
  10. #6 (2007) Sam Gagner: Made the team at 18
  11. #15 (2007) Alex Plante: Too soon to tell
  12. #21 (2007) Riley Nash: Too soon to tell

The fact that both Gagner and Cogliano look to have made this team ahead of schedule reflects well I think on the overall quality from Oiler drafts in the 01-07 era. Still plenty of story to be written, but it’s a lot nicer than the Jason Bonsignore era.

7 Responses to "Oilers Sign Gagner"

1. doritogrande says:

What’s wrong with their 06 draft? Jeff Petry looks like a blue-chipper to me. USHL defender of the year.

dorito: Nothing. Petry was drafted 45th overall, and I posted only those in the 30s.

3. Asiaoil says:

I wanted Voracek at the draft (anyone hear how his camp went in Columbus?) but Gagner is making the Oiler’s scouting dept look awfully good right now. His hockey IQ is really quite amazing at such a young age. Give the kid more experience, a bit more muscle, and a bit more speed – and we may have something here.

I expect him to only last 9 games – but I’ve under-estimated him all along so he may be good enough to stick the whole year. Wouldn’t that be something…

4. RiversQ says:

I had the same opinion although I’m not so sure that Voracek won’t be the better player, but Gagner is certainly a high quality prospect with a skill set the Oilers need so it was hard for me to slam the pick on draft day.

I haven’t seen any of the preseason tilts, but Gagner’s numbers aren’t crazy good for playing preseason B-squads. (2G and 8 shots in five games) It’s unlikely that he’ll help the team that much this year, but it looks good for the future.

5. Asiaoil says:

Yeah the thing with both Voracek and Gagner is that they are both very young – pretty much the youngest guys in the draft. I’m liking Gagner more and more – but I would still like to see him add another gear in terms of speed – it would help him a lot.

With Nilsson, Cogs and now gagner in the fold – I don’t see where Schremp fits into any of this. Hopefully he can light up the AHL like Mikhnov is lighting up the RSL and we can bundle some of these guys together for a single better asset. Too bad a few asset poor teams like TBL, TOR and ATL don’t have any tradable vets. Your in ATL right Riv – any assets beyong the obvious high end guys that could help the Oilers?

6. Dennis says:

Riv, I think you’d like the kid if you saw him. I went with the guys that I usually agree with and Vorachek seemed to have a lot of good buzz and probably projects to be better two ways. But Gagner has an excellent set of hands and he’s not a dummy in the other two zones and I think he could be a guy that can kill the soft min.

7. oilerdiehard says:

Looks like Voracek (who if I recall went into camp with his contract already in place) was returned to his junior team 3 or 4 days ago.

From a quick look at the CBJ’s board he was behind that Brassard kid on rookie possibles for this season but CBJ sent Brassard out as well.

Agreed that our drafting in recent years is looking very solid.