Thoresen AHL Player of the Week (Send in the Clowns)

First things first. The uniform color is nice and I do like the Oiler patch on the shoulder.

The crest is brutal. Just awful. I’m surprised they didn’t add “1978 LTD” since everything else is in there. Very poor uniform, especially considering the terrific WBS editions a year ago.

Now, Patrick Thoresen. He was named AHL Player of the Week on the strength of 3gp, 2-3-5 +5 numbers. Quoting the AHL website: A native of Oslo, Norway, Thoresen is one point off the AHL scoring lead with seven points (3g, 4a) in five games this season. The 23-year-old pivot played three seasons in Sweden before spending most of last year with the Edmonton Oilers, where he recorded four goals and 12 assists for 16 points in 68 NHL games. He also had six points in five AHL contests with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in 2006-07.

I believe Patrick Thoresen should still be on the big club, but it appears he’s a victim of that wonky re-entry waiver rule and is likely to spend the season in the minors. It’s a ridiculous rule that impedes both player and team and is a reflection of the general idiocy the NHL flounders in each year.

Any reasonable professional sport would give each team every opportunity to field the best team available (within cap confines). If I were Patrick Thoresen I’d be pretty pissed about this and with good reason. In a career that may last less than 10 seasons, one of them is going to be spent in the minors because of a dumb rule designed to save money instead of increase competition or ensure teams cannot hoard qualified players.

Don’t you love farce?

20 Responses to "Thoresen AHL Player of the Week (Send in the Clowns)"

1. Black Dog says:

I don’t understand why he has to go through waivers in the first place. I saw a lot of CBA stuff flying around when he went down but I still don’t get it.

He has less years of service then a pile of these guys. He is on a two way contract, right?

Anyone?

I believe it’s a combination of GP and age. Someone said somewhere that had he played 59 games a year ago in the NHL he’d be fine which makes me even angrier.

How can you make that line in the sand and have it pass the smell test? This is an evil rule, it just is. Completely unjust, and definitely thought of by an idiot and instituted by people who hadn’t thought it through.

I’ll bet money this stupid rule gets blown out next CBA.

3. Vic Ferrari says:

LT: I don’t think that Thoresen is subject to re-entry waivers.

Allan commented on a Speeds post here. And article 50.9.g.ii of the CBA is explicit here.

So long as Thoresen’s AHL contract is less than $100k, then his two-way contract saves him from being victimized by the “50% discount rule” (and I would be shocked if he was earning six figures down there)

4. HBomb says:

Vic: would you be shocked that he has a high AHL salary? I wouldn’t, considering he was an undrafted free agent.

LT: You want a farce? I don’t know if you guys caught Stauffer today, but the name Marc Savard came up as a guy who could be had in a deal, and long story short, the consensus there was that a Horcoff for Savard swap would somehow be a GOOD idea. Then, the old “Horcoff’s an excellent third liner and an okay second liner” bit came out.

First off, Savard and Hemsky is a TERRIBLE fit. Second, I’ll take Horcoff over Savard any day of the week. Third, Shawn Horcoff is at WORST an above-average 2nd line center.

Stauffer’s a guy I respect more than most media in that city, but I lost some of that respect for him today after listening to some of the crap being spewed out….the other one was the suggestion that Phoenix was asking for Pitkanen, Moreau and Schremp for Doan. Once again, no thank you.

Specifically on Joni, I hope like hell they get him done to an extension, and sooner rather than later…..

5. Oilman says:

Isn’t Thoresen on a one-way contract, meaning he’s making the same in the A as he would be playing in the bigs? Really though, it’s not like that re-entry stuff matters a whole lot when you’re making less than $500K…maybe…maybe he gets plucked by Buffalo or Anaheim just as a reminder that they’re paying attention, or by Columbus, because he’d actually make a difference I’m sure Howson likes him.

6. Vic Ferrari says:

HBomb/Oilman:

As per the CBA, Thoresen was signed to a two way contract. A two year entry level contract. As a ‘Draft-related Unrestricted Free Agent’ the maximum allowable minor league salary for Thoresen is $62,500, which is below the level necessary to trigger re-entry waivers ($95,000).

This was presumably done to avoid having people like Thoresen get screwed in the way LT is worried about.

I just had a quick CBA read, and everything that Allan says in the link I have provided seems to be spot on. Except for the definition of age, where Allan assumed that Thoresen was 22 years old at the signing of his Entry Level Contract. The CBA would call him a 23 year old for the purposes of Article 13, because he turned 23 in the calander year that he signed his contract. So Allan had the cut-off at 70 games when it should have been at 60.

Speeds actually alludes to this in the last post on that thread iirc.

I have two points:

1. Thoresen does NOT have to clear re-entry waivers.
    2. In future we should believe the concensus opinion of Speeds and Allan on this stuff. And ignore every other source. :)

7. Oilman says:

Vic…it’s always best to let someone else do the legwork. Don’t know where I heard that Thoresens contract was a one way….

Doesn’t it seem like the Oilers are loaded with guys that are too good for the AHL (Thoresen, Nilson, Jacques, etc) and not quite good enough to be regular NHLers? We need a team for those guys somewhere between the AHL and NHL…Phoenix maybe?

8. allan says:

You somehow managed to link to this comment thread, Vic. This should work.

There are two different definitions of age in the CBA, and I’d used the wrong one, but age at signing is only relevant for regular waivers.

For re-entry, all that seems to matter is salary, and 1-way vs 2-way contracts.

I wonder if Guy Flaming could get us some clarification on why they think Thoresen would need to clear, since he seems to be the source.

9. Loxy says:

Allan, I was going to point you here (after this) but I see you found your own way!

Ah, okay. Now I’ve got it, thanks everyone. So, he can be recalled?

Excellent. It just didn’t seem right. Guess Bettman isn’t the devil after all. :-)

If the Oilers could package a bunch of young guys (not Cogliano nor Gagner) for Doan, they should do it.

Say Doan for Torres, Pouliot, and Schremp.

or replace Schremp with Nilsson or Thoreson or Stortini or etc.

12. Jon G says:

I would not personally want Doan on our team at any price. Go after a guy that makes players around him better. If rumors are true that is Savard not Doan.

Lowetide I think you are a bit hard on the Falcons Jersey

13. Devin says:

oilman – Thoresen is plenty good enough for the NHL, and he’s proven a heckuva lot more than those other chumps at the highest level. I think he’s a victim of the size issue with 13-89 + 12 or 88 taking up the small FW roles. If Thor was 6 inches taller there is no way he’d have been sent down. With Moreau and Pisani out it seems like madness not to have this guy flanking Reasoner + Pouliot/Brodz and keeping the ol’ GA down as he has done so well in the past.

14. jon says:

With Moreau and Pisani out, a Savard for Horcoff swap would hurt more than help. With them in however, I’d say the swap would be a painful, but beneficial one. Savard, despite his defensive deficiencies, would be an excellent soft line alternative to pair with Hemsky and Penner. Quite frankly he’s a more consistent version of Scott Gomez who is making less money. Further, I’m not really sure how he’d be a bad fit with Hemsky, considering that he’s a skilled player who can hold and distribute the puck. At this point, I’m beginning to believe that Hemsky needs a skilled puck-possession player to take some of the pressure off of him. He’s still young and it’s possible he may never develop the dominant quality we desire, but even if he does it’s never a bad idea to pair him with another highly skilled forward.

15. Black Dog says:

Vic, Allan – thanks for the clarification.

Marc Savard ain’t worth it, especially when Gagner will be able to fill that role in two years.

17. IceDragoon says:

Good day.

Am I missing something?
    I do from time to time.

Thoresen played more than 60 NHL games last year, and because of his ‘calendar’ age he had to be waived when ‘loaned to’ the Falcons. He has not played more than 320 pro games in North America, so the pro exemption doesn’t apply.

Anyone waived to go down must be again exposed coming up, unless exempt, correct?

50.9(g) Minor League Compensation….
    (ii)…
    … only appears to cover compensation.

To me it looks like… whoever claims him on re-entry waivers is paying the full freight. Am I wrong? I can live with being wrong.

Thanx allan, speeds, and all the rest of you smart buggers who dig for answers AND make me think. :-D

OT – so shoot me ;-p

There’s an excellent MacT podcast on the Oilers site. Part of it was played on Team 1260 last night. I’m just about to listen to the others’, but MacTavish’s is delightfully revealing. The man has his warts, but he damm well knows what he’s doing.

L8r
    Louise

18. Dennis says:

So, what’s the final word on this? If we can bring him back, then “role wise”, it would be at the expense of Brodziak.

Anyone have any real problems with that?

19. Jon G says:

I would leave Thoresen in the minors and keep Brodziak for right now. His play has tailed off in the last couple games. However, you have to give him a chance after producing in the first two. You do not want to rattle a young guys confidence by making him go up and down between the two teams

20. IceDragoon says:

Brodziak would be exposed to waivers, would he not?