This is Kevin Lowe settling under a popfly. It prepared him for media scrums in good old Our Town, where line drives and bullets and screamers are verboten.
Today’s paper’s have some truly incredible quotes. Here are two:
- “When you get right down to it, the Pronger trade now is Dustin Penner and Joni Pitkanen and Ladi. That’s a trade I’d make again.” Kevin Lowe can say this because logic, math and common sense are also suspended when he is in the room. I daresay the Pope and Bono don’t hold sway like the man from Lachute.
- “What happened was, all of a sudden, we got a lot of defencemen. We traded for Grebeshkov. We signed (Dick) Tarnstrom. We traded for Pitkanen. We signed (Sheldon) Souray. Then, I’m thinking, ‘Holy mackerel, we’ve got a lot of guys here.’” Oh come ON! I need to see him saying this because if he said it with a straight face then he truly is a once-in-a-generation bullshitter. This is Nixon territory, folks. “I am not a crook”, that kind of thing. “WE’VE GOT A LOT OF GUYS HERE”!!!!! That’s what he said? Come freaking on. The reporter must have giggled, or maybe they pulled their head back and hit the wall, thus passing out.
Here’s the reality:
- Kevin Lowe made a bad bet on the Pronger deal, fully believing that 5 assets of lesser value would be equal to waiting and getting something useful that addressed roster needs.
- Kevin Lowe (and possibly Cal Nichols) decided Ryan Smyth was no longer sponge worthy, possibly because they didn’t feel he was man enough in G7 SCF, or maybe because he hit Mike Commodore’s head on the Jason Smith 2-on-1 in G1 SCF (all hands have been thrown over from that rush btw). Either way, they were D.O.A. in regard to signing Smyth somewhere near the deadline and made out like bandits based on where they would have been negotiation-wise just a few hours later.
- Dustin Penner was option D, E or F in the “let’s get this assclown Katz off the front pages, he’s ruining our money laundering Arena Plan” but they paid him in full anyway. The modern Chuck Lefley needs to stand and deliver and then some in order to make that signing look good.
- The actual trade is Chris Pronger + Jason Smith + 1st in a deep draft + 2nd in a deep draft + 2nd in a good draft + 3rd in a deep draft for an overpaid Penner, an inconsistent but gifted Pitkanen, a developing defender in Smid, a spent force in Sanderson, a 3rd to replace the 2nd, a nobody in Rouke, and a fine young prospect who has a wide range of skills in Nash.
I’m sure all this will be in the late editions.