The first portion of the trip (we’ll call it “summer fun”) is spent putting gas in the car, getting Tim Horton coffee and Slurpee’s, and playing CD’s (we rotate, one CD per customer, Dad gets first choice).
After the Van Morrison, the music begins to get louder and newer, and by the time we breeze through Cake, Panic! at the Disco and arrive at My Chemical Romance, Dad is getting a headache and a bit grumpy. By hour 4, classics like “I have to pee!” or “Are we there yet?” or “Michael’s hitting me!” have me wondering if a high speed drive to Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump is maybe the right thing to do.
I think Craig MacTavish must be roaring through Fort MacLeod as we speak. WHAT on earth can you take from these games, aside from “we’re not good enough?”
There are a few things:
- Tom Gilbert: Seems silly he was close to being sent out due to the “numbers” game. The numbers confirm this young D is the real deal.
- Andrew Cogliano: Faded lately after a solid start, he has all kinds of good things in the toolbox. I think he’s the new Butch Goring.
- Sam Gagner: He’s fallen off quite a bit, but usually does something Samwise once a period or so and you can tell he’s going to be a very good player. I’m hoping the Oilers consider letting him play in the WJC’s.
- Shawn Horcoff: He is just a helluva hockey player. Virtually unrecognized in a very wide area of Oiler nation, that fact remains the greatest mystery revolving around this club.
- Ales Hemsky: On many nights he is the single greatest reason to watch, and is a constant threat offensively. Sick player.
- Dustin Penner: I like him. I didn’t like the offer sheet, and I hated the lost draft picks but bottom line is that this guy has some unique skills and he’s young enough to get maybe a little better.
- Raffi Torres: I think his nickname should be ‘Psycho Killer’. He hasn’t been the player the Oilers need him to be every shift, but the Oilers need exactly this player every night.
- Craig MacTavish: He’s a good coach and a pretty wise man. His interview today re:Stoll is frank, intelligent and concise.
I love the draft, and it will kill me to watch Anaheim pick top 5. However, maybe I’ll take the kids to the park and ride my bike through the river valley. “I always feel like we’re going to win,” MacT said in his interview today.
You bet. As long as Oiler nation takes the long view, as in one year or more from today, I think it’s easy to see a brighter day. Short term?
Well, take a map of Alberta and find Fort MacLeod……