Colby Armstrong

This is Colby Armstrong. He was a first round pick by the Penguins in 2001 (I’d hoped EDM would take him, but that fool Prendergast drafted Ales Hemsky instead) who took forever to make it to the NHL (251 AHL games).

Since making it to the show, Armstrong has impressed with his physical style and two-way play. He’s also put up some offense but I seem to recall him playing quite a bit with Crosby in 05-06 (40 points in 47gp).

This season is not going well for him. In a recent Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (Nov. 6) Rob Rossi wrote: “Right wing Colby Armstrong rented the comedy “Super Bad” on his off-day Sunday to take his mind off recent struggles. He has not scored since Oct. 6 and did not dress for a second consecutive game, against New Jersey on Tuesday. “It is not like we have lost confidence in him. I like the player,” coach Michel Therrien said. “He has to get his nose dirty and play hard. That is when Colby Armstrong is at his best.” Therrien said Armstrong had to “wait his turn” before returning to the lineup.

Armstrong played 12:48 on November 8th (against NYR, -1) and has played exactly 2 of the Pens’ 5 November games. He appears to be battling Jarku Ruutu and Tyler Kennedy for playing time and lately he’s been losing.

I’m wondering if the Oilers might consider dealing for him. He has some grit, is young enough at 24 to have a future and yet does have more NHL experience (140 games) than most of the youngsters trying to find their way on the Oiler roster.

An obvious choice to go the other way is Marc Pouliot, who played some of his junior career with the great Crosby.

12 Responses to "Colby Armstrong"

1. HBomb says:

Grit and scoring ability for the RW?

Damn, you know you might be onto something LT…..a RW of Hemsky-Armstrong-Pisani, a LW of Torres-Penner-Moreau, and a C lineup of Horcoff-Gagner-Cogliano looks mighty nice from where I sit….

I’d say it’s worth a phone call. Maybe the Pens would be interested in Roloson too?

2. Art Vandelay says:

If the Oilers offered anything more than a bag of pucks for Armstrong, Ray Shero would be nuts to turn it down.

3. K says:

Would Therrien trade for another C though? They have their future in Crosby, Malkin & Staal. They have another C in Talbot whos starting to look as though the light bulbs turning on for him. He’s 4-4-8 with PK minutes. Not too shabby for a fourth liner centre.

4. Bill Needle says:

Pouliot.. bag of pucks… hmmm…

5. Andy Grabia says:

I’m wondering if the Oilers might consider dealing for him.

God, I hope not. He’s had coattail success.

6. Andy Grabia says:

Countdown to Tavares

You Oilogosphere guys are so negative. You just want the Oilers to lose, LT, so that you can be proven right. ;)

7. Bill Needle says:

Armstrong – coattail success.
    Pouliot – no success.

8. Kev says:

I wonder if Stollie knows him well; Colby was at his golf tourney this summer I believe. Maybe a good thing.

Sometime last year I came across some YouTube on him, he’s quite the character. Hmmmm I now also recall the beating Souray laid on Colby when he gave Koivu one of his thundering hits.
    Maybe not so good.

9. Ribs says:

You know those players that skate around aimlessly, checking hard in the corners and who look at a guys head when he goes into the corner instead of the puck, that’s Colby Armstrong. He’s about an ounce better than Jacques and he will do some of the dumbest things you’d ever see in an Oilers uniform.

That we don’t need.

I like to belive that we’ve moved past the 90′s era that saw a truckload of coke machines and wagons full of dusty wheels barge through E-town. Please let us ride out a few of our prospects before we cash them in for refunds.

PLEASE.

Ribs,

I don’t know. If the Oilers trade Pouliot today, can we really suggest they didn’t give him a chance?

11. jon says:

I would certainly hope we don’t deal for him. Until he gets some maturity and puts the work into training consistently like a professional athlete I don’t think he’d be a positive component to the team.

12. Andy Grabia says:

I’d trade Pouliot for Laraque in a heartbeat. Let’s try for that one.