Ducks at Oilers, G26/07-08

Rage, anger and disappointment set aside, Chris Pronger is a beauty player. They say time heals all wounds (a lie) and that the sun will come out tomorrow (true).

For the diehard Edmonton Oiler fan, the fall from G7, SCF to today is almost beyond belief. We still sometimes sit in stunned silence, unable to believe what has happened to the town team.

None of it really matters. “At the end of the day” Chris Pronger got his Stanley, Edmonton remains a city (like Green Bay before Favre) that has a memory bank of rich and wonderful times and 27 miles of (mostly) bad road since spring 1990.

As time goes by, I have found a place in my heart for that beauty team that gave hope to youth and stirred powerful feelings in the aged a couple of springs ago. Pisani turning into Lafleur at the Red Wing blueline, Roloson going stone cold on Cheechoo, Pronger looking like a giant on the blueline, Smyth & Horcoff with the heart and Hemsky with the dagger.

The perfect note was held only for a moment in time, the riff was brief and had no sustain. The town that had too much to leave any doubt in 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988 and had some luck in 1990 ran out of it in spring 2006 and has since then been in a free fall.

Get well, Fernando, we’ll see you soon. You are a champion by any measure.

30 Responses to "Ducks at Oilers, G26/07-08"

1. goldenchild says:

Its funny how hated CFP is in almost every rink he plays in. Here in Van they booed him everytime he touched the puck. that being said there prob isn’t a player that could improve the Oil more than him.

I remember watching the finals with a buddy and saying watch how 44 looks for 83 almost everytime on the outlets, I’m sure everyone on Car knew as well but time after time he would hit him in full stride right on the tape. Just an incredible passer.

As for tonight I have no idea what to expect they could win 2-1 in a SO or lose 5-0 either way they will prob be outshot 4 to 1.

2. heed says:

as much as chris pronger broke my heart and michael peca stomped on it for good measure. i would welcome them back with open arms and a parade. they made the spring of 06 the best in recent memory (my liver might not agree but the abuse it sustained was well worth it). “gap tooth” and “5 o clock shadow at 8 in the morning” made alot of this possible. as for tonight, i can only hope the oilers play a better game than the last. an awfully low exepctation but this season is all about baby steps.

3. Andy Grabia says:

He appears to be up to his old tricks, leading the Ducks in PIM this season. Quite a change from the sportsmanlike but highly effective Chris Pronger who played in Edmonton. He was booed last night in Calgary, and got booed in Vancouver before that. Strange, but I certainly appreciate it.

4. Dennis says:

Oh, LT, I am feeling saucy tonight;)

To wit:

- I just read a piece in the Globe that said the news from the owners meetings is that revenue is up again and that means the cap’s going up too. So, does anyone want to send that info to Lowe RIGHT NOW so that he doesn’t make another Smyth mistake;)?

- How dare you mention Smytty in his post when you talked about his G7 performance in the Journal piece with Staples? I guess you wish Smyth was more like Micheal Rupp, eh?:)

Over to you, Lain.

Maybe I’ll chime in again when Smid backs in for the 1000th time this year or when he’s caught out of position again.

All hail Lowe;)

5. dubya says:

Dennis, when you watched Smid and Staios last game, did you really think that Smid was the problem? I haven’t looked at the EV F/A for the two of them, but I’d be surprised if Smid is a boat anchor like last year. I would be less surprised if Staios was…

I’m not saying Smid is carrying Staios, or that he was near as good last year as many feel. That said, the only reason Staios wasn’t backing in last game was because the other team had already gone around him. And if 24 wasn’t out of position it was only because he was physically holding on to the guy with the puck…something that is apparently against the rules.

Dennis: lol. I wish Smyth had played better in G7, SCF. No sin in that.

//So, does anyone want to send that info to Lowe RIGHT NOW so that he doesn’t make another Smyth mistake;)?//

Ryan Smyth 23 GP 6 G 8A 14PTS -8

Yep…truly a $6 million dollar man. Ryan Smyth has only been a good even strength player in his career when he has been playing with Shawn Horcoff.

8. Ribs says:

I worry when Raffi looks pooped in the pre-game interview. Get some wind man!

9. Tyler says:

No worries Dennis – we’re out of good players to sign.

By the way (I’m about to do something I hate – if godot10 has been saying this for years, I apologize and deserve some mocking) I like how now it’s Horcoff who was carrying Smyth for so long. The King is dead! Long live the King!

10. Dennis says:

Well, I doubt that 94 finishes at those rates but if you want to believe that, then all the power to you.

BTW, I don’t think 24′s playing, ie the guy’s been super high event, but I still think he’s the strong one out of him and Smid. I can’t understand how anyone debate that.

Lain, there’s certainly no harm in that. It’s just that I keep going back to your interview with Staples and a couple of things gobsmacked me. First off, the whole Smyth in G7 thing, it reminded me of Rupp in ’03 and how Barry Bonds did jackall in the playoffs until ’02. I’m not calling Smyth Bondians, but I think there’s big folly in judging anyone on such a small sample size.

To wit, how did Brian Doyle’s career make out?

So, when I saw you say that and then I read the unforgettable, “Lowe’s not an idiot and he’ll figure it out” comment, I thought perhaps you were trying to justify one of Lowe’s most talked about moves.,

In any case, looks like Pouliot’s stopped Sulking In Springfield. He had a goal and an assist tonight in a 4-1 Falcons win.

Reddox had two goals and an assist, JFJ had a goal and three assists and JDD stopped 35 of 36 shots.

Nilsson’s time as an Oiler can’t be long, can it? Reddox is having himself a year and 78′s trying to squeeze back itno the picture. I know someone’s sitting in about a week’s time when Fernie returns but we still have the Stortini slot to fill.

11. PunjabiOil says:

Dennis: lol. I wish Smyth had played better in G7, SCF. No sin in that.

I read that piece too. LT, I must respectfully disagree with your assertion that one of the reasons why the Oilers should have traded Smyth was because he didn’t get it done in game 7. Does that mean game 6 should automatically be forgotten?

Smyth had a terrible game, but FCP didn’t have the greatest game either. Jarome Iginla went AWOL in games 6 and 7 back in 2004. All of that means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

If you think he should have been traded, there are plenty of legitimate reasons why – I just don’t think the G7 should have any weight to it.

_______________

As for tonight’s game, I think Bobby Smid has a better shot than Pitkanen.

Honestly

12. mc79hockey says:

Nilsson’s time as an Oiler can’t be long, can it?

Man is that ever right. I’ve been fiddling with something for a while that I really want to post about scoring rates, kind of looking for lines in the sand. I’m having a hard time figuring out how to present it. Guys who get points at his rate, they just don’t turn into top end players. His upside is likely second level type scorer, with no toughness or defensive skills.

13. PunjabiOil says:

“5M dollar defenceman” seems to have recently cooled off.

Matheson did mention however, it could end up costing 3M in an offersheet.

I’d take the picks. Honestly.

14. PunjabiOil says:

I don’t think anyone is expecting him to be a top end player.

I’d be happy with a 40-50 point guy, who plays a bit more on the PP.

15. PunjabiOil says:

Horcoff scores, Brodziak does too. 3-1.

The PK deserves some credit. 10th in the league prior to this game. Killed off a 5 on 3, and 4 straight penalties. Game could have gone the other way.

I like Brodziak. He’s the younger version of Fernendo Pisani.

16. Dennis says:

Yeah, the 34/51 comparison can be seen becuase they’re both RW who were late picks and paid their dues in the A. Plus, they’re local to boot. I like Fernie’s shot way more, though, and he has a history of playing agianst tough opp. That being said, I guess Brodz is now 10/11 in the Desjardins numbers so that’s not bad for his first full season.

I can’t believe the Oilers are winning this game. The team took so many stupid penalties in the second period, I thought Ethan Moreau must’ve been back for sure;)

Gilbert has been lulling for a couple of games now. Still nothing awful, though, so if this is as bad as his bad streaks get, we’re laughing.

Nilsson is seeing zero time and it looks like Sanderson’s hurt as well. I’ll say Pouliot and Reddox are in Ana come Sunday night.

17. Dennis says:

Oh, and let’s not forget, Roli has been great in his one. This could be four games in a row where he either allowed two or less goals and/or really made a lot of great saves.

Could be a good time to start shopping him considering that we’re not really interested in winning in ’08

18. Ribs says:

I’m with you on the Smyth thing LT. He really needed to do more to earn the money he was looking for. G7 was the nail in the coffin when it came to what Lowe and others saw him as. It hurt to see him leave, but he’s not an elite player.

As for this game…The bounces going in the right direction for a change! Yea!

MacT deserves some love for turning the ship after the Fiasco in Denver.

Smid can look downright evil at times. Perry accidentally sticks him in the face and he loses it! hah… I don’t know why, but I enjoy seeing Perry get tossed around out there. Now if only they could do the same with Getzlaf. damn I hate that guy.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Gagner? or has he found Penners water bottle filled with Pringles?

Horc is having a hell of a game.

Stoll was showing some hockey sense on that one goal. Maybe he hasn’t lost it?

I can’t decide if it’s awesome that the Oilers fans know when to cheer for the Pkillers or if it’s kind of sad because they often have little else to cheer about…….ah…it’s awesome.

19. Ribs says:

Re: Gilbert Assist – Take that Pronger!

20. Ribs says:

Was that Staios goal a set play? If it wasn’t, it should be. Nice shot Stevie.

21. uni says:

STAIOS! I watched that whole Colorado game and now can’t get this game on a stream. ARGH! But YEAH! at the same time.

Also Nilsson once again is doing very little =(.

Dennis: I think you need to read things other than Staples interviewing me. :-)

In regard to my Lowe and Smyth comments, I’ll do a post in the next day or two explaining myself.

23. PunjabiOil says:

Hemsky hurt?

Agreed. Roloson has been terrific lately. The 4-5 games of benching is exactly what he needed.

24. PunjabiOil says:

Bruised knee for Hemsky.

Damn.

25. PunjabiOil says:

11 points in 12 games. Like Nilsson, he’s hovering at the PPG mark, but not much more.

Almost got the feeling he’s soon going to be passed by Robbie Schremp, who is currently top 15 in the AHL in scoring.

26. danny says:

Dennis you were right from the git go about the package for Pronger, although its not as cut and dry as you make it seem… but i digress, “at the end of the day” you dont fuck up when youre trading the best defenseman in the world. you just don’t. Had katz been owner, things would have been different though, take that as fanciful and fleeting a comment as you wish, but the effect of that ownership on this franchises direction is rotten to the core.

Lowe didn’t let Smyth walk with the highest budget in the Northwest, he let him walk with the lowest… you can show me how Barbara Walters knew the cap was going up all you want, but when you have to fight for a $42M ‘business plan’ and have to make proposals in the offseason to Nichols to raise your allowance, you’re not in the same train station.

Ask yourself this… should have Katz made his intentions known by xmas last season, would Ryan Smyth be an Oiler now? Of course he would have. Thats as obvious as Dustin Penners love handles for x sakes.

Lowe has been pretty terrible, in the pronger return and in his contracts, but Smytty wasn’t because hes a moron. His decision to let him walk was made in a different time and a different place.

Lowe strikes me as a ‘yes’ man more and more everyday. The thing that frightens me is Cal Nichols is the Wizard of Oz.

27. Ribs says:

Bruised knee isn’t so bad. Small amount of long-term damage and he’ll be back pretty quickly. Still sucks though. Sanderson’s probably done forever if he whacked his back out.

The Oilers PK was great tonight against a sleepy Anaheim team. Now if only the rest of the teams were that lifeless. Go look at the TOI for this game to see how well the PK was. Also check out Penner’s 19:20mins. Lupul would have been -6 with that much ice time against Anaheim.

It’s perfect that on a day that LT posts of memories of the SCF run we get some of the same goals and luck that we haven’t seen since.

28. Dennis says:

Lain, it had better be good;)

PJ, yeah, it’s not that I think 78′s ready to rule the world or anything, I’m just time-lining it considering he had a couple of good games when he was sent out, then sulk for awhile and now he’s back to producing again.

I’m not sure what it all means. If, for instance, a couple of other teams react to 46 the way the Ducks did tonight, then we probably won’t see 78 anymore this season. Good overall game for 46, too, BTW. I don’t think anyone would ever call me a bandwagon guy so I’ll honestly tell you that I was thinking he was having a good game after that shift where he bulled to the net. You know he’s earned another three starts just by the way he drove the Ducks to distraction.

Funny thing about Smid, and I said this awhile back, if you turned the TV on and there was a scrum around the Oilers net, there’s a 75% chance it was started by 5 after he took exception to the forward milling around. He’s good like that and it’s something we never saw until this year. That being said, he doesn’t take the tough stuff outside of the crease. He never thinks to step up and play someone or rub them out along the boards.

Overall, despite the lopsided score, this was as much about Roli as anything else. How would the Oilers react if Ana had scored on one of those PP’s in the second?

Finally, 13 really ripped the shot on the breakaway. Fuck, I’ve never seen him shoot the puck with that much authority before. Tough break for 8 if he’s out for any extended period of time. Though it might be good for the Oilers because we can call up some guys who’ll be expected to help come ’09 and and as far as the trickle down works, it will mean more ice for 13 fleshing out the 19-51 line.

29. Dennis says:

Danny, I would be inclined to agree with you if the Oilers put a number on the table of say 5 mill and wouldn’t go above it. But, they were 100K a season apart and 94 offered to buy a luxary box to show that it wasn’t about the money as much as it was about the status.

So, Lowe’s within 100K and then he balks. To me, it’s because Lowe can’t feel like he loses at anything. We just played the Ducks tonight. So what would you rather have? Woywitka plus a pick or Corey Perry? Lowe had Perry in his pocket but didn’t move because he wanted Comrie to give back money in order for him to be dealt to sunnier climes which is what Lowe knew Pronger wanted in the first place.

I’m nto saying some of the spending wasn’t spurred by the Katz offer. But if we’re simplying here, and we’re rhyming in the process;), I’ll say that Katz begat Souray but that if you’re gonna throw that money and those picks for Penner, you’d sling in another 1.5 mill for Smyth.

That is, of course, as long as you didn’t think anyone was taking a stand against you because, for whatever reason, the only guy who went firm on Lowe and still got what he wanted was Chris Pronger.

30. heed says:

katz is the wizard of oz. he will make the whole world better one rexall pharmacy at a time. smyth will score 50 goals if you pay him like a 50 goal scorer. what flavor is the katz koolaid? or did you discover all this using his “what if” machine?