Fernando

Based on interviews that are a week old now, Fernando Pisani is many weeks away from returning to the NHL (barring setbacks). However, we can talk about Fernando Pisani the hockey player and his future in the NHL, and there was a time when his career and health were question marks.

I think Pisani might end up being an inspirational story for the team and the fans this season. Let’s face it, the team that roared to the Stanley Cup finals has a new address, and this club is building for a brighter tomorrow.

But Fernando Pisani is a connection to the glory of spring 2006, and his struggle is something we can all get behind.

I’ll never forget that moment when he cleared the Detroit zone and then picked off an errant pass before going all Guy Lafleur and scoring one of the biggest goals in Oilers’ history.

THAT moment won’t hold a candle to the night he returns to center ice in Rexall, and the fans blow the roof off the building.

11 Responses to "Fernando"

1. Doogie says:

I think Fernando’s return will be the biggest return this side of Saku Koivu. It’ll be “off the hook,” as the kids say.

Five minutes’ standing O, minimum.

2. Black Dog says:

A professional through and through.

Local boy made good.

Longshot who was one of the biggest stars of that beauty 06 team.

The two goals in G6 against Detroit.

The OT winner in G5 vs the Canes.

The third period goal and near miss in G7.

Can’t wait to see him return.

3. Mustafa Hirji says:

I’ll never forget

1. Game 5 SCF in OT while we were shorthanded; Pisani pinches to pick off the pass as Carolina was clearing their zone and goes in alone on Cam Ward nailing it top shelf. The moment I saw him pick off that pass, I knew we were going to live another day (and I expected we’d make at least Game 7).

2. Game 7 SCF. On the rush, Cam Ward makes the outstreched left pad save on Pisani. He almost got us to OT in that game.

4. HBomb says:

Pisani scores there, I have no doubts they get the next one and win the big silver thing.

Maybe such an accomplishment would have convinced one CFP to work things out and stick around? Maybe Spacek hangs around instead of shufflin’ off to Buffalo? Perhaps they re-up Smyth in July 2006?

Whatever. Fuck you Cam Ward, fuck you Chris Pronger.

5. PDO says:

If only….

Get well soon Fernando.

6. HBomb says:

Lowetide, you made an interesting comment awhile ago about Pisani being a lock for the Masterton if he makes it back this season, right?

I hate to break it to you, but there’s a guy playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs who is currently going through Leukemia treatments and still playing.

Even though Pisani’s got a tougher battle (whatever Jason Blake’s dealing with can’t be that bad if he can continue playing), Fernando’s got no shot to beat out out a guy from the alleged ‘center of the hockey universe’ in the voting for the Masterton.

You know it’s bullshit. I know it’s bullshit. But we both know that’s exactly what’s going to happen.

7. grease trap says:

Never thought there’s be a debate on what was sexier to voters: Cancer or Ulcerative Colitis?

8. HBomb says:

Could they split the award?

Both are going to be very deserving of it.

9. Kev says:

I’ll remember that SH OT game 5 goal for the rest of my days.

10. pboy says:

Whatever. Fuck you Cam Ward, fuck you Chris Pronger.

God bless you. I think the same thing everytime I see one of those guys on TV.

11. Dennis says:

I love Fernie as much as the next more, more probably since I liked him long before he went nuts in the playoffs.

Not sure that the ovation will be to the extent that you imagine, though, Lain.

It probably won’t match the one Lowe would get if he underwent successful day surgery to remove an ingrown toenail.