Go RIDERS!

This is George Reed. I don’t think it is possible to describe what the Saskatchewan Roughriders mean to the entire province. It’s a religion.

Many years ago, I was flown into Regina by CKCK Radio for a job interview and a tour of the city.

They showed me the Legislature, Wascana Park and George Reed’s house.

Seriously.

18 Responses to "Go RIDERS!"

1. Nelson88 says:

bleeding green baby!!

fire up that “pil” production line. it’s going to be a busy week!

too bad glenn had that unfortunate injury. lets hope next week is another classic.

riders by 4!

2. PDO says:

I work for a Rider Fan and date one…

Go Cubs!

With Glenn out in the GC, it’s really impossible to imagine a scenario where they don’t win…

My wife is a complete Roughrider nutbar. In the 4th quarter this afternoon, with the game close, she was hiding behind the chesterfield and making noises ordinarily heard during childbirth.

4. PDO says:

LT, that sounds scarily familiar, with the exception that she was lying on the kitchen floor and on the phone, and the game was already over.

5. Bruce says:

One of the highlights of the CFL year (most years) is watching Wally Buono’s team lose the Western Final, usually as the home favourites. So I’m a happy man today. :D

Riders deserved this one, overcoming injuries and the video review gods to take it convincingly. First Calgary, then the Lions, now a first-ever shot at Winnipeg in the Grey Cup … that’s a pretty sweet plotline for Rider fans.

That hit Reggie Hunt put on Jason Clermont was one for the ages. Any sport, any league. Wow.

bruce: That WAS a Ronnie Lott/Jack Tatum hit, agreed.

7. therealdeal says:

Unrelated, but I think Cult of Hockey is ripping off your ideas… Check out today’s post.

Staples is cool. I had a coffee with him a couple of weeks ago, nice guy and seems like a very reasonable sort.

He did talk about the Backstrom trade/Seals comp for the Burke/Coyotes deal, but he also gave me credit (which he didn’t need to do, he’s my age and as much a hockey fan as I am) and posted a link.

He’s an interesting link for the blogs to a wider media, and based on what we know at this time is interested in moving the conversation forward in regard to hockey and stats related knowledge.

9. Dennis says:

Even though, IMO, the CFL isn’t “real”, much the same as CIAU sports aren’t real and the NHL isn’t real for the vast majority of Americans, I can appreciate what the Riders success means to a bunch of fans that seem ardent to the point that even calling them loyal doesn’t seem strong enough.

My cousin works one of those three weeks on, one week off jobs at one of the camps in Alberta and him and I were at brunch today while TSN had their CFL countdown show on. So, one of my older buddies has been doing the Alberta thing for awhile now and he’s always told me that Nfers and the Sask crowd always make for good friends so I asked my cousin if he had any buddies in the camp who were big Riders fans. He started telling me some stories and I was pretty impressed.

He’s a guy who’s eight years younger than me so he grew up with “cable” TV, ie the American affiliates, and thus had access to NFL football right off the bat so he knows very little about the CFL. So he started asking me about what I knew about it and I was into the CFL until ’87 and once I could start watching the NFL every week, that was it for me. Anyway, when I told him the Riders hadn’t hosted a playoff game in over 30 years, he couldn’t believe it. There have to be a lot of near misses and flat out failures personnel wise for something like that to happen in a league so bloody small.

In any case, maybe a Grey Cup win can heal some of these folks.

Even though, like I said, it’s not “real”;)

10. therealdeal says:

My bad, I didn’t see the link…

therealdeal: No worries.

12. doritogrande says:

Lordy….the rumors are true. Rider nation does span country-wide. Am I the only dude bleeding Blue n’ Gold?

Unfortunate injury to KG, but seriously I don’t expect this to hurt us as much as what happens does Juran Bolden not play. He replaced Barrin Simpson as the team’s defensive leader when he came back this year. He’s the best playmaker in the East when he’s on his game, and that includes the invisible Argo secondary tonight.

Remember this stat people: Where did Tom Brady become the QB he is? Playoffs. Ryan Dinwiddie is a legend in NCAA, LEGEND. He’s got the credentials, he’s got the star power surrounding him, and he’s got the best O-line in the league to protect him.

Lets go Bombers lets go!

13. Psyche says:

I affectionately call this the Stubble-Jumpers Bowl. I love the Prairies! I live in the Prairies! My team is the Big Blue. I cheer for Blink and Uncle Milt weekly. Most of my friends are Rider fans. The Roughies are my 2nd favorite CFL team. I am looking forward to this terrific contest in the “Centre of the Universe”. It will be a championship to remember. If not for the game alone, definitely for the celebrations that bracket it.

The Vanier and the Grey Cups are both in Toronto this coming weekend. No Ontario teams are competing in either final. That is beautiful.

14. Art Vandelay says:

The ghosts of Don Jonas, Dieter Brock, Tom Clements, John Hufnagal and Sean Salisbury say: Go Bombers.

15. PunjabiOil says:

The CFL is clearly a 2nd tier league compared to the NFL, but for some reason, the Canadian in me pikes my interest in the playoffs.

Granted, I didn’t watch the games today (other than 1 quarter of the Rider game) and instead went to the Oil Kings game, but I’ll be watching the GC.

Not sure who to cheer for. Winnipeg hasn’t won since 1990. Sask. since 1989.

Here’s clips of the ”Green Mile” in Regina.

16. tyler.hildebrand says:

Agreed, now sniveling Bomber fans have an excuse.

Dennis said: There have to be a lot of near misses and flat out failures personnel wise for something like that to happen in a league so bloody small.

Two words – Al. Ford.

psyche said: I cheer for Blink and Uncle Milt weekly. Most of my friends are Rider fans. The Roughies are my 2nd favorite CFL team.

Thats sacreligous, like cheering for the Yankees, but the Red Sox are your second favorite team. Sports bigamist!

Sing it with me:

“Oooooohhhhh I’d rather be a Rider than a f$@!in Blue Blomber, I’d rather be a Rider than a f@#!in Blue Bomber…..”

17. Pat H says:

Back to Staples for a sec. A good article by him today about you guys. Pretty, pretty, pretty good (to rip off Dennis ripping off Larry David).

“Horcoff and Die”? lol. Hilarious, but you probably made the right decision in deferring to the wisdom of the better half.

18. doritogrande says:

tyler.hildebrand…

It’s actually Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    I’d rather be a Bomber than a F#($@N Rider Fan.