Oilers at Canucks, G18/07-08

This is Bobby Schmautz. Filthy hockey player. High sticks, after whistle pushing and shoving and general ill-will were his calling card. And a heavy, heavy shot.

Bobby Schmautz was my favorite Canuck when they were probably my #2 team (behind the Bruins, before the Oilers) and he was fun to watch. Plus, he went to the Bruins and I liked him there too.

He didn’t like being an Oiler much (according to the story) and was quickly sent away after being acquired by them in 1979-80. I always liked him as a player, though.

The Oilers are in Vancouver tonight to play the Canucks. Despite appearances, these two teams are just three points apart in the standings. However, Edmonton is last and Vancouver is one point out of 9th.

The west is going to be tight all season, due mostly to an improvement in the Detroit division and what looks clearly like an elevator shaft drop in the Edmonton division.

The Pacific is home to the nuts, witness the firing of Dallas’ GM in favor of Bobby Hull’s kid.

The NHL is one of the very few big, big industries where you still see an organization hire a guy with very little experience for a vital job. A quick show of hands: Who thinks this will end well?

Thanks very much for taking part in the survey.

79 Responses to "Oilers at Canucks, G18/07-08"

1. Pat says:

And how are we any different?

2. Andy Grabia says:

Holy shit. Are you sure Bobby Schmautz isn’t Jason Smith’s dad? Maybe the Schmautz was anglicized or something?

3. Andy Grabia says:

And how are we any different?

I’ll give Lowe this. At least he coached for a week.

pat: We’re not. That’s why I said the “NHL”, because it is done league-wide multiple times a decade.

5. Dennis says:

One of the great things about this game is that it’s on TSN which means I don’t have to listen to Hughson talking about all those Cup victories for the Sedins.

Oh wait, that’s right…

Seriously, when he doesn’t have an agenda, Hughson’s pretty good. I wouldn’t put him in Cuthbert territory but he’s pretty good nonetheless.

In any case, games involving the Canucks are ones he shouldn’t have anything to do with. The fact that I don’t have to listen to him tonight, I consider that a bonus.

As for things to look for or things have happened recently:

- Oilers PK is a mess. Just one goal against last game in Cgy but lots of chances down low. In fact, for all the “wow” saves that Garon had to make, I’d bet that 75% of them came on the PK. There were a couple of clusters of shots at EV but overall the Oilers did a game job in that regard. The thing that teams are exploiting is the down low play and this is where the Sedins usually excel, so we might me in trouble

- Can’t wait to see how the 27-10-12 line make out. The latter two really have some good chem and though I know the Flames top six was weakened by the absence of Langkow, for the vast majority of the other night, the Oilers top six was going against the Flames top six and they were outchancing them, as well. Iginla’s line scored on hemsky’s, let’s call it Hemsky’s instead of Stoll’s, for obvious reasons, but then Horc’s line scored on Iginla. Canucks don’t have a second line so our top six trumps their’s.

- The Oilers really didn’t do well in the battle of bottom six vs bottom six even though the Flames bottom six is garbage. Of course 89 scored but most other times when those guys were out, it was time to worry.

- Our PP was great last game out and has marked three contests in a row now. Even on the advantages where the Oilers didn’t score, they still created chances. The whole deal with 23 at the point, it seemed to change everything. It allowed stoll to move back to the left circle and it spread out the play a lot more. It basically left 23 in charge up top with 83 making plays from the left and Hemsky from the right and Horc doing the spade work. One of the reasons why I’m not super jazzed to get Souray back, even though I know we’d be better off with him at EV as opposed to Rourke, is that’s not the way it’s gonna go. Most likely, Souray steps back and is over 20 min and has the keys to the PP. We could use Souray to move some bodies down low and to play 12 or less at EV but we know that’s how how the Oilers are going to use him.

Defense: three mind-numbing giveaways in the first period by smid and then a pretty good last 40 min. The deal is, though, Smid’s so limited offensively that the size of his mistakes grossly outweighs the weight of his good plays. Gilbert looked great no matter what he did, well, unless Lombardi was bearing down on him, and Tarnstrom was steady. Staios was Staios and the other two didn’t play enough to kill us.

- IMO, Oilers are coming off four games in a row where they outchanced the opp at EV. They lost 4-1 to Nsh but Ellis was out of his head that game and the Oilers allowed a couple of gimmies. Min then throttled them 5-2 but nearly all their damage came on the PP. Oilers are doing a pretty good job of hitting the ball hard at ES and with seven goals in their last two games, no big deal I know, at least a few of those are starting to find the gaps.

6. Pat says:

LT: yeah, I half-figured that you wrote that “little experience” bit without necessarily implying that our own franchise was immune. Just thought I’d make it a little more explicit. no offense.

Pat: No worries. It’s funny, but the last GM in Oilers history with anything resembling a track record in the job was Larry Gordon and he was gone to Wichita by maybe 1979.

8. Dennis says:

Couple of other things:

- MacT came clean on Gilbert today in the pregame scrum, basically saying that despite other kids getting the ink and attention, Gilbert’s been the best of the lot.

- I still can’t believe that Stortini’s gonna hit the ice tonight instead of Pouliot. Marc went down and had five points in three games and I thought he’d be back by tonight. But it looks like the Oilers are giving him the tough love treatment right now. By comparison, how many games did Nilsson spend in the A after he was demoted, ie including the one where he was healthy scratched?

9. dwillms says:

This is true, although I imagine we’ll have the pleasure of listening to Glenn Healy doing color?

Nilsson played in 5 games, and was a healthy scratch for 1. Pouliot has played in 4 games so far.

10. Nelson88 says:

dennis,

I am not anti MP but they should just leave him and JFJ in the AHL barring injuries. They both lack the confidence to play in the NHL at this point and with a last place team that already has plenty of youth there is no easy way to get them that confidence. Let them rip up the AHL and then give them a true shot next year or use the trade value to move them to a team that can give them that shot. This “yo-yo” strategy clearly is not working.

However; why they don’t bring up Flynn (sp?) or pluck Gratton off waivers to have a legitimate heavyweight and send Stortini back down is beyond me. Nothing against the guy but he is not a great fighter and are we really losing much “hockey skill” with the other two options mentioned above…?

11. dwillms says:

My bad, we get Mr. Magoo instead of Healy tonight…

12. mike w says:

Holy shit. Are you sure Bobby Schmautz isn’t Jason Smith’s dad?

No kidding. That’s basically Jason Smith, but in a worked-in-a-Pennsylvania-coal-mine kind of way.

13. PDO says:

So… did anyone else see that intro?

That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.

Oh well.

GOILERS!

//The NHL is one of the very few big, big industries where you still see an organization hire a guy with very little experience for a vital job.//

However…

Garth Snow has the Islanders in a playoff position, but technically, he does have an MBA.

While one of those hotshot young phenoms with all the apprenticeship experience, Ray Shero, entered the season without a veteran goaltender.

15. pboy says:

Might be the last time we see Stoll on the ice for awhile. I hope not but he certainly didn’t look like he was going to okay anytime soon

16. pboy says:

Let’s all forget what I just wrote. Stoll was back on the ice for the PP and it looked like he was skating fine.

Oilers are just so far behind in terms of actual NHL players. A period like this gives you a fine idea about what watching those old expansion teams was like in the 70s and 80s.

Their good players have good shifts and then the ice gets slanted again until the top group comes out again.

18. mike w says:

Yeah, it was a shaky period to be sure.

Just when I thought Brad Isbister’s career was over…

19. PDO says:

Oilers were looking good till the Hockey Gods decided to spit in our face, and Hemsky’s shot dribbled on the goal line.

20. Dennis says:

Nelson, I just can’t agree with you. Pouliot is a better option than Stortini, even keeping in mind 78′s terrible start.

LT, Oilers are getting killed when their bottom six is on the ice. The 10 line hasn’t showed much in the first period, either, but there’s just no relief for us when our bottom sixers are in the mix. You just can’t wait for those shifts to be over.

Garon looks great though, looks like you don’t have much of a prayer unless you shoot high on him. Also on the plus side, I liked the Oilers PP again so maybe we can squeak out a 2-1 or something like that.

Finally, as a guy who’s from NF and thus knows about accents;), Brendan Morrisson has the ultimate Hoser brougue.

I like that Smid slapshot and hit the ice with your face move, beauty.

Dennis: I think MacT’s quotes about Pouliot were pretty telling. My guess is either he’s gone for a long wakeup call or he’s gone.

22. mc79hockey says:

Sam Gagner skating with the puck in his own end against the Sedins is not something I need to see.

Bourdon going what kids do. How many defensemen who are playing in the NHL right now are worse than veteran AHL guys signed to minor league deals?

30?

24. PDO says:

Isn’t it fun watching a kid who isn’t an Oiler make a costly mistake? Not often we get to see that.. thanks Luc (I’m not Anze) Bourdon.

25. mike w says:

Can I say this, at least: Tom Gilbert makes me feel good.

26. uni says:

Just looked at the Yahoo! game log. 21-9 faceoff advantage Oilers, but 23-7 shot advantage Canucks?

Something there has to be wrong.

Really, this is what you would get in any game in any sport where the experience level has as wide a gap.

Hell, you could play 10 APBA games and the team with the large experience edge is going to win 8 of them.

28. uni says:

I beg to differ, all the Oilers need to do to win is have Garon not allow any goals against. That’s simple enough.

29. PunjabiOil says:

Staios almost was the goat at the end of the period.

30. Ribs says:

Quick notes after the 2nd…

Stortini – please sharpen your skates before the game. 10 foot stops and falling every time you turn just isn’t not proper in this league.

Gilbert/Tarnstrom PP – Much better than Grebeshkov/Stoll PP…no?

Grebeshkov – Gross. This boy needs to man up, quick. He’s getting beaten to a pulp.

Rourke – Grebs making it easy for him to look okay at this level.

Garon – Are we on to something? Did some of that godsent magical fluke talent come to us again, finally? I sure hope he can keep this up. I won’t have too hard of a time of saying goodbye to Roloson.

Staios – Playing better. Smid playing a more stable game because of it.

Gagner – Have fun at the WJC’s!

Cogliano – Toughest bastard on the ice. I wouldn’t be afraid to bet he wins this game for the Oilers.

Torres – Cold. Commence the “Trade Torres” nonsense. I was hoping for more as he usually flourishes against Van City.

Stoll – Those stingers hurt like a bitch. Good to see it wasn’t worse.

Horcoff – Need some more from him. 3rd Period, I hope.

Hemsky – Nice to see he hasn’t shyed from skating into that corner for the puck since his face-smashing.

Uhp, Game On…

31. Dennis says:

Lain, that’s just not good enough. Pouliot’s plus/minus is worse than Stortini and YES, he made that terrible change. But he’s not a lesser player than Zach, he just isn’t.

SF’s playing all three days this weekend so if 78 isn’t back by next Tues vs Van, then, yeah, you’ve probably nailed it.

Ty, how about the first shift after the end of the last Edm PP when you knew Dys were coming with Sedins. We send out 8-19-46 and I can’t tell you how much dread I felt;) BTW, I noticed MacT had been running 14-13-89 out there given none of them were seeing PP time.

Hopefully, we can find nine forwards to the point of fashioning three lines that will get us to OT.

Some other stuff:

- two posts by Van, one post for Oil along with the 83 shot that went through Luongo but then stopped rolling, so I’d say the bad luck’s even.

- nice play by 77 to first stop the Kesler dangle and then calmy start the breakout in the very next instance.

- I loved our first two PP’s but then she went askew for the third opp.

32. Dennis says:

Edm PP in the third. Mact T gives up on the first unit with about 50 seconds left and sends out 12-13-14 so I’m thinking he sorta took the bullet so he could have some of 10-83 coming out as soon as the PP expires and Van comes with the Sedins. But, MacT throws out 19-89 and I don’t know who else.

What am I missing here? is macT nuts or was there just not enough time for the real tough min guy to get their wind back?

Anyway, three big scoring opps in the first 5 min of the period for the Oil. If we win this one, Roli might never start two games in a row again

33. Dennis says:

Useless fact of the day: Miller says the last time the Oilers played a scoreless game, it was in ’97 agianst the Hawks. I was at the bar watching that one, Steve Kelly missed on a clear-cut breakaway.

OK, that’s all for now, back to watching Gagner try and fend off the Sedins…

34. Nelson88 says:

NHL.com has us up 1-0 with horc scoring! good omen?

35. Mustafa Hirji says:

Torres hasn’t been a Canuck killer since before Luongo. He’s had one goal against them since then. I’m not sure he has good games against Van any more.

36. Dennis says:

One of the great things about the ’06 team was having a team with a few vets on it. You had some young guys like Horc who were old enough to finally have better sense and then you had some vets like pronger, smith, smyth etc.

You watch this team and there’s just no peace. I love Cogs and I can learn to like Nilsson but for fucksakes, dump in the sockcucking puck! Seriously. Or, nah, fuck it, just try and go through three fellows and I’m sure it won’t get turned over at the blueline and lead to a rush the other way.

Then again, it’s not just about the kids, either.

I’m watching 10′s line vs the Sedins and they’re doing a good job so I’m thinking, they’ve probably got three more shifts before regulation ends. Then Reasoner comes out, and I’m not sure against whom, and he, for some reason, throws a weakwristed blind backhand pass into the neutral zone and it’s whiteknuckle time…again.

Oilers played a great third period but this team cna wear you the fuck out

Getting a point tonight is a victory. They should give them two points just for keeping the Sedins scoreless for 60.

Sam Gagner and Sanderson out there in OT is an interesting choice. Nice play Cogliano. McGuire is an assclown, Luongo the monster.

What a joke. Ass.

39. mc79hockey says:

Horc with a little razzle dazzle there. Hell of a play. Oilers are doing OK in the OT.

Do we have a goaltending controversy?

41. mc79hockey says:

I don’t think so. Roli needs to pitch a shutout tomorrow if he wants any hope of Saturday’s start and even that might not be enough.

42. PDO says:

LT: Depends what Roli does tomorrow night.

And for everyone that says we need more goals, this game spits in your face. This is one of hte more exciting games (if not the most?), that I’ve watched all year.

Shootout… we might actually steal 2 points here.

Gagner, Hemsky…. Horcoff?

43. uni says:

It’s funny when right after the assclown says Luongo the monster he was retorted “Right now in Edmonton they are shouting, it’s Garon, Garon.”

MC: Yeah, agreed. Can they offload Roloson now?

45. Dennis says:

McGuire is such a joke. The whole Monster bit is a little bit stale anyway, but at least try and be fair with it. I love Miller giving it to him about it, though.

If Souray comes back and plays more EV min than Gilbert, MacT needs his head examined. It’s unbelievable the amount of poise he’s showing. When the forechecker comes in tight, he doesn’t scream, “Stevie”!!, and see where #24 is. He just waits and waits and then makes the decision.

BTW, one of the really good things the Oilers did tonight was clear pucks from the crease. garon had to make two jam saves in OT and he had to stop a few shovels in the first two periods, but the Oilers did a good job of collapsing and clearing the puck away. Personally, the way the ice tipped, I think that’s just about totally on the shoulders of the forwards, ie all the turnovers. I didn’t see nearly the amount of blow coverage that I have in the past.

46. Mustafa Hirji says:

The question is whether Garon can play consistently.

47. PDO says:

Ales Hemsky belongs in a higher league.

That was just nasty.

48. gary b says:

Oh Yeah.

Ales Hemsky is all that.

50. uni says:

Yeppers, if Garon can just do that for 50 more games the Oil will have 50 wins haha.

51. gary b says:

Ales Hemsky is a pan-dimensional energy being from the Ice Nebulae.

52. pboy says:

Unless Roloson plays an incredible game tomorrow night, it’s gonna have to be Garon again on Saturday. Not even MacT could screw that decision up…………

Is it just me or does it seem like the light is starting to go on for Penner? He’s been a lot stronger with the puck lately and he’s been making more good decisions than bad. Maybe his conditioning is starting to catch up but it’s nice to see him making postive plays out there.

53. rickibear says:

When have we been able to say our goaltender outplayed Kipper and luongo back to back?

54. nameht says:

“It’s getting to the point where Gilbert should be our leading icetime player every game. I wonder how it would look pairing him with Pitkanen as the top pair, Smid and Staios and then Tarnstrom and Souray?”

Tarnstrom played 30:25 today and handled himself pretty well…those pairings look good but would sub Tarnstrom in for Smid here and there

55. oilerdiehard says:

LT – I think this kind of game is good for the Oilers. I mean, they’re GOING TO LOSE THIS GAME but you can’t fault the players or the coach.

Looks like inexperience & Garon (and how!) won out again tonight.

That was a fun game to watch. Dicky T seems to be finding his groove.

It feels good to be winning some divisional games (and the odd OT single) for a change.

56. Ribs says:

Oooooh…. I like it. Seeya Grebs and Matty Boy. With that said, will never happen.

Garon not the Monster? What the hell? Way to mail it in McGuire.
    Roloson should never get to play in another shoot-out again. Ever.

Well, Cogs didn’t end it, but he sure looked good trying! Man I love this kid with short minutes left.

Penner had a much better 3rd period and showed a bit more hustle. Nice to see. I hope MacT had words with him when he trollied over to the bench with a big grin after getting a slight stick in the face in the 1st. Jason Smith would have probably kicked his ass for that stunt.

Overtime? MacTavish sure knows how to stress a guy out. Plays Tarny and Gilbert all game together and then switched to 23/24 for overtime, leaving 77/5 on the ice for the next shift. Yikes.

This was a really fun game to watch. The less whistles the better, I say!

Misc Notes…

Torres – I wish MacT could see what I see when it comes to his slumps and hot streaks. He just wasn’t in this game. bad choice for the shoot-out

Sanderson – I wonder if they could make a Time-Wasting stat. I’m sure he’d be right up there with Dvorak by now.

Nilsson – Beat up early, killed any momentum he had coming into this game. If he can’t get over this quickly, get rid of him.

Gagner – He’s lost a bunch of steam since coming off of his Russia/Canada Series and I really am wondering if the best thing for him wouldn’t be to enjoy another journey with Team Canada. No Sutter is the biggest concern there.

JDD – Way to be, guy!

57. PDO says:

Jeff Carter for Jarret Stoll.

Given what Dreger was saying tonight, the idea that Holmgreen isn’t all that smart, and that Stoll, wrongfully, has the rep of a defensive guy…

Think it could happen?

14-10-83
    18-19-34
    27-Carter-13

89 gets spot duty on the PP and subbing in for 13…

Eh?

58. Dennis says:

Three out of four outstanding starts by Garon, and two dandies in a row. I don’t think there’s a thing Roli can do to earn that huge home BOA start on Sat night. It’s gonna be interesting to see what happens if Garon stays hot, will the fans start chanting his name? I doubt Roli will like that. At this point, Roli’s gonna be saying, “oh no, here we go again.” Sure, it isn’t exactly like when he shared time with Manny in Minny, mostly because he’s not as young anymore but he got his big payday, but Roli’s well in danger of timesharing once again.

59. dwillms says:

Oct 12th – PP Goal, 4 shots, 2nd Star in 5-2 loss. Next to the 2 goal game against PHX, and the 10 shot game against COL, it was probably one of his best of the season.

I agree that as good as Cogs and Gagner have been, Gilbert has been the best rookie so far. I think it’s fair to say he’s our best defenceman right now, and I don’t think anyone saw that coming.

Stoll for Carter? I’d love to see it, but I don’t see why Philly would pull the trigger.

Whenever they are ready to trade Roli, I’m all for it. Nothing against the guy, but getting rid of his salary would help, and he still has some value to a playoff-contending team in need of a veteran netminder (PIT, TB).

60. Dennis says:

Fuck, Ribs, I loved that Dvorak/Sanderson comparison! I was in favour of eating his salary at the start, then he had a couple of good games, then he disappeared and then tonight he had lungs and legs for days. I wonder what the Oil have planned for him if 18/34 ever get back at the same time? Of course it’s a sliding scale with lines and roster makeup because another couple of games like this and Nilsson’s back in the doghouse, but let’s say one of him or Pouliot stick, what would the Oilers do with Sanderson? Would they make him the extra forward and have him around to keep the kids honest? Would they wait until the deadline and trade him to someone for depth? Or would they waive him and hope someone bites?

Oilers are already getting on with the old “we’re not gonna carry extra players becuase we’re saving on the cap” plan, so how does that impact Sanderson?

BTW, I liked 23′s game again tonight but not as much as Gilbert’s. I’d go 24/77 as the first pair, 25-23 as the second and then 5/44 as the third pairing. Give 44 his min on ST and limit his EV play. I’d have 23/44 on the PP and that would leave 24/77 for the first shift after the PP expires. I keep trying to rein in my expectations of Gilbert but then again, I keep thinking of how a guy like Bieksa made the jump to top four min so maybe we’ve got our own Bieksa.

61. Dennis says:

Well, I follow PDO’s logic, maybe Holmgren thinks Stoll CAN play tough min.

62. PunjabiOil says:

* No need to dance or wait around. Sign Gilbert to a 4 year, 6.5-7.5M deal. Or 5 year, 9-10M.

* Tarnstrom, likewise, played very well and looks great on the PP as well.

*Cogliano, Brodziak, and Reasoner with solid games. To a lesser extent, Sanderson.

*I’m almost inclined to start Garon tommorow, but with 3 in 4 nights, you have to go with Roloson.

*Smid looks much more improved out there.

*Hemsky looked good early on, and then his ice-time seemed to fall.

*On the flip side, Stoll can’t create anything 5 on 5. Penner was good along the boards, but really didn’t do much. Horcoff had one of his worst games of the season

63. PunjabiOil says:

You make too much sense Dennis.

Of course, I get the feeling the Oilers will give Souray 23-27 minutes per night, just based on his salary.

That being said, I don’t think Souray played horrible at all pre-injury. I like your lineups though.

…and for those counting, 4 out of our 7 games have been in a shootout. At the same time, we’ve played 11 out of the first 18 on the road.

64. PunjabiOil says:

Well, I follow PDO’s logic, maybe Holmgren thinks Stoll CAN play tough min.

The HF crowd also vocally claims that Stoll is future captain material.

I’m sure Holmgren will keep that in mind. ;)

65. voxel says:

For all the flak Stortini has gotten, he’s still has not been on ice for a goal against in his 8 games this year. At minimum he’s not making boneheaded plays.

As Pouliot apologist, I have to admit he is done for this year. Zeros goals for and bazillions against. His pre-season stats were nothing to brag about either…

66. danny says:

It’s a bit premature to be dancing on Stolls grave yet boys and girls. He is less than two dozen games into reacclimating himself to the pro game. He still seems gunshy, he was terrified when he bent his knee.

His last 25 games played before the concussion(s) he did play tough minutes, and he did it convincingly.

That said, you take a trade for Carter in a heartbeat, but it isn’t pulling wool over Holmgrens eyes. Stoll has shown that he can be a valuable player in the NHL… unfortunate he got his block knocked off and missed half of the season.

67. Tania says:

Penner looked good to you guys on TV? Wow. That’s a totally different impression than what I got at the game.

He looked lazy and aloof and floating. In fact, I started calling him, “pylon penner”

Garon was great in net. When the Sedins were on the ice I’d curl up in the fetal position in my chair with my eyes covered. Yet they were held pointless. Priceless.

68. Dennis says:

I didn’t see a lot of Penner to like. He can make some plays while occupying two checkers, which of course frees up space for his linemates, but he’s not consistently good. Which is no surprise to the Oilers, I’d imagine. Not to sound like a Loweapologist;) but, people, Lowe didn’t bring Penner in to be good in ’08. He probably brought him in to be good in 09 and’10;)

I’m not sure if it’s spin or not, though I have some opinions on the matter, but when MacT’s talking about how we need this guy to be able play 18 min instead of 13, it’s almost like he’s giving him an excuse for this season so he can work on his fitness in peace, as it were. For my money, I’m sick of guys coming onto this team and not being in shape when camp opens. What the fuck is this, 1974 and Phil Esposito’s driving around in his Caddy with the windows rolled up, and wearing garbages inside of his track suit so that he can lose the last 10 summer pounds? To wit, even pronger and peca said they weren’t ready for the ’06 season because they hadn’t been working out enough. Lupul shows up last year and by the look of his stamina, he was more ready for ball hockey than anything else. And now there’s Penner.

On to other things…, here in the sphere, you can’t just throw things out without backing it up. So, did Stoll Really play 25 games facing tough opp? And if he did, please define convincingly.

69. doritogrande says:

Why would Philadelphia want 16? They already have someone better in Mike Richards, who’s managed to put it all together this year defensively, and is starting to score when given the right linemates (Lupul, sadly).

I’d think Chicago would be more interested in Stoll’s type of play. Problem is, what do they have that we want, and that they’ll give up. Can Tuomo Ruutu still play? And could we get him straight up for Stoll?

Also to comment on the game, well worth screwing off my homework til 12AM to catch the third and OT after work. Garon does things with his flexibility that would make a 15-year old Olympic gymnast jealous. I’m also ready to throw some good money Gilbert’s way to keep him in the fold for the next half decade. We’re still missing that piece on the powerplay, but they should be returning shortly, one hopes. I noticed a piece on TSN that Pisani, Pitkanen and Roy were all skating together before practice a couple days ago…but no mention of 44? Has he already begun practicing with the rest of the team? I thought he was going to be the first to return. Is something getting swept under the rug about his injury, like Moreau’s?

70. dubya says:

Dennis, you really didn’t like Penner’s game last night? I thought he played a good power game, strong on the boards, taking the puck to the net, and showing some nice creativity with his passes. Looked to be in better shape late in the game, too, though he’s usually first off for his line.

And Dorito, Souray is practicing with the rest of the team, should be back tonight (unlikely) or Saturday (probably).

71. PunjabiOil says:

Actually mciampa posted on HF:

It’s sounding like Souray will be out for a long time yet.

72. momentai says:

The ice sure was tilted in Vancouver’s favour for most of the night. But like a lot of people mentioned here, the Oilers really bore down hard on clearing the puck away from the crease. There were so many times when I saw Vancouver make a cross-ice pass to a guy they thought was open only to have him stickchecked by one of our forwards. I thought that was great coverage for the most part when shit hit the fan. It’s the opposing blueline turnovers that killed us.

I have to admit that I’m so glad that Garon was doing well. I still remember when he fell out of favour in Montreal and I was advocating his pickup. I think my argument with Dawgbone lasted all of 4 pages on HF back in the day who didn’t think he was worth it.

73. dawgbone says:

Easy there mo…

I didn’t once say he wasn’t worth it ;)

74. Dennis says:

It’s not that I didn’t like him, it’s just I didn’t see a lot to be excited about. Hey, the guy has an uphill battle on his hands. Like the man said, he’d only get so many min in Ana but we need him for more than that here. Like I said, at least he’s staying at even while playing some tough opp. Once he starts scoring, if he ever does, his plus/minus will look really good in it’s proper context.

As long as Pitkanen comes back in ’06 form, I really don’t care about Souray being out for awhile. I’m liking 23 on the PP and as much as, yes, Souray in and Grebs out would be a good thing for us, there’s no way the Oilers would play Souray at EV the way they are doing currently with Grebs. But that’s teh way they should play him.

75. dubya says:

That’s what has me optimistic, other than an under-rated shot. He’s somewhat “Laraquian” in his ability to keep the puck in the good end of the ice, and you pair that with a defensive stalwart like Horcoff and you’ve got a pretty good chance at keeping the puck out of your own net. He’s got offensive talent, and when he does (rarely) hit somebody, you can see what a physical presence he can be. Someone just needs to piss him off…permanently.

76. momentai says:

LOL. DB, I probably knew you were around. I was wrong. You were interested in him but thought that the Canadiens weren’t likely to trade him and not for a price that was reasonable.

Neither really happened as I don’t think at the time Bonk and Huet were hot stuff in the league. Montreal sure is happy that Huet blew up in Montreal though.

I still cannot believe how LA just threw him away only to have Crawford bring his “guy” in Cloutier. That certainly turned out well.

How’s it going DB? I don’t really see you on HF much. But then again, I’m not really that much either anymore.

77. Bruce says:

Ales Hemsky belongs in a higher league.

I only saw the third period and OT last night, in which Oilers played fairly well, but I was just about ready to jump through my TV set at Hemsky late in the third. Just went back to watch it again (since I am always calmer when I know the end result, esp. when it’s positive) just to confirm what I thought I had seen. This is what I saw:

3:45 remaining in regulation, 0-0 tie. Hemsky controls the puck in Vancouver’s end, carries it out towards the blueline and gets trapped, losing possession. Vancouver breaks out 2-on-2 while Hemsky lollygags his way back through the neutral zone. In Edmonton’s zone the forward passes through Hemsky back to the point and the point man walks past Hemsky and into the corner. Hemsky waves at the puck the first time and at the man the second time. Finally Edmonton regains possession due to a solid backcheck by Torres, who hits Hemsky breaking into the neutral zone. Hemsky, skating about two miles an hour, makes a half-hearted attempt to dump the puck along the boards, is dispossessed by a Vancouver checker, shrugs and carries on to the bench for a line change while Vancouver counterattacks through the neutral zone against a scrambling group of Oilers who are either coming off the bench or caught out there.

I know everybody has a bad shift occaionally, but with three minutes left in a scoreless game it would be nice to see a little intensity, not to mention some veteran savvy about the importance of puck and zone possession. Instead, for this shift Hemmer looked like Marc Pouliot on a bad night. And he wound up in a lower league …

78. PDO says:

Bruce:

I was just referring to the move, that’s all ;)

79. Dennis says:

I don’t think Penner will ever be mean like say a Bertuzzi in his prime was. Some guys just don’t have it in them. That doesn’t mean he can’t use his size and be aggressive, but the true big guys who are also nutcases, ie Bertuzzi once and Pronger seemingly forever;), those are rare.