Wild at Oilers, G19/07-08

This is Mike Fidler. He was a “garbage” goal scorer for Cleveland and Minnesota in the 70s. He had seasons of 17, 17 and 23 goals before his offense left him and I don’t recall him being a good checking winger and the fact that he played his final NHL game at age 26 would seem to confirm it.

Guys like Fidler and Curt Bennett and a generation before Tommy Williams were still somewhat unusual: American kids who could play NHL hockey. Fidler was born in Everett, Mass. and the first sign of him as a hockey player was at age 17 when he popped 45 goals in 20 games for Maiden Catholic High School in 73-74.

Nowadays that would be his draft year (and he’d probably be in junior in Canada or the USHL) but for Fidler it was off to Boston University where he once helped them to a 21-2 record and scored 46 goals in 60 NCAA games.

He was the Hockey News’ #2 college prospect in 1976 and was drafted 41st overall by the California Seals. He had some good seasons but lost his career (injuries were a factor) and if he is remembered at all it is for a monster World Championship in 1978.

I’m using his photo because that’s a beauty uniform, folks.

The Edmonton Oilers recalled Liam Reddox today, and sent down Jeff Drouin Deslauriers. I hope Reddox plays, he’s an interesting prospect. Oilers won last night’s game, but the Wild are a ridiculous team who are basically a starched-shirt-on-ice.

44 Responses to "Wild at Oilers, G19/07-08"

1. Lord Bob says:

From the ECHL to the AHL to the NHL in about a minute and a half. I’m glad Liam Reddox appeared to need, what, ten games of AHL seasoning before the management decided “yeah, let’s call him up”, but considering that he was pretty useless with the Thunder last season, I am not optimistic that he’s drawing in. Probably just a classic “we’re so proud of your performance, we’re going to let you sit around and do nothing” callup.

2. mike w says:

My first thought when I saw this post was: “Cleveland Barons! One of the best uniforms ever!”

Glad you said it, too.

I hope the Oilers get a point tonight, without Souray… indefinitely, seemingly forever.

3. doritogrande says:

mike w,

I think Souray and Moreau have been going to the same physician. We don’t seem to know what’s going on with either of them.

I’m willing to overlook the fact that we’re down Souray and Pitkanen due to the improved play of Smid and the remarkable poise shown by Gilbert. We’re going to have a hell of a time when Matt Greene gets back sorting out who gets sent out.

4. Black Dog says:

I’m dating myself here but I remember Mike Fidler and likely had his hockey card. He looks pretty damn familiar.

5. PDO says:

Hey, look!

It’s Souray being Souray!

Apparently him and Moreau are having a competition to see who can go longer without playing a game, though right now that’s a pretty easy win for 18, who hasn’t played in over 12 months for those who are counting.

Honestly… Souray’s a good guy and all, but could the Oilers have anything better happen to them than for Souray to have to retire due to injuries? This shit is beyond ridiculous, and that contract is ALREADY an albatross. I shudder to think what it could be in 3 or 4 years.

6. mike w says:

Yes, but he brings LEADERSHIP.

7. Black Dog says:

Plus he has an ENORMOUS SHOT!

8. mike w says:

Okay, I understand that injuries can be nagging, but haven’t Gaborik and Demetra been plagued by groin injuries for 2-3 years now?

Do trainers ever get fired?

9. mike w says:

Er, Demitra. Not “Demetra.”

10. namflashback says:

Souray’s contract only 60% albatross content pdo. IIRC, it has a NMC in the first three years.

11. Black Dog says:

Was it Matt who called them The Groin Brothers?

Fuck those guys anyhow.

12. mike w says:

PP looks pretty good so far.

The Democrats debating on CNN (hosting by Wolf Blitzer with some questions from JD Roberts who used to be on Canadian television introducing videos on a show called the NEW MUSIC during the Trudeau era) is about as interesting as this game.

14. mike w says:

The Minnesota Wild Nyquil effect.

15. Ribs says:

…I’m just waiting for one of the players to get the puck and suddenly explode for no reason…

16. Matt says:

Demetra? I think I saw an ad for that in the 3rd quarter of an NFL game last week.

17. mike w says:

Boogaard whacks away at our goalie and then crumples our “goon” Stortini trying to get him to fight.

Not bad for one shift a period.

A goal in regulation would be novel and awesome.

18. PDO says:

How on earth did THAT go in?

Sweet.

2 goals on the robot, and both of them were U-G-L-Y. I’m talking Dion Phaneuf ugly.

Good lord. RALPH Backstrom would have played that puck better.

20. mike w says:

Nevermind.

21. uni says:

I get the feed just as Gaborik scores, awesome.

22. PDO says:

Oh how I missed Ladislav Smid looking like he had everything but a clue as the puck ended up in the back of the net.

Though I guess to his credit he was missing a glove and a stick this time as well.

23. Steve says:

Yeah, but if Mike Gravel had been there…

24. mike w says:

Nice feature on Marion Gaborik’s arcade games. I think.

No wait, that was weird.

25. Showerhead says:

A quick note on Smid. I’m content with him and all so let’s not think I’m using this to really harp on him but has anyone else noticed how easy it is for an oncoming forward to back him off? By this I mean any attacking player seems to be able to create space for himself on the rush simply by driving at Smid and putting on the brakes. If Brian Rolston ever notices what I have, it’s lights out on a cannon from the top of the circle.

26. uni says:

Wow and Harding in in, didn’t see those Stoll goals, but they must of have been stinkers.

Is Stoll pulling a Smyth and banking them off his butt or something? Everyone needs a break sometime and I sure hope this sparks him.

27. uni says:

And the Wild are up by 2, lights out. It’s all but official now, Garon to play Saturday.

I’d like nothing better than to see Stoll pot 2 more, but the Wild just seem to be built to kill the Oil.

28. Mustafa Hirji says:

Is Roloson blowing these goals? Or is the team at fault?

29. mike w says:

I suppose it’s time to hit the hay. BAH.

30. uni says:

Is Roloson blowing these goals? Or is the team at fault?

Can’t speak about the first 2, but the last 2 allowed weren’t bad goals by any means. Rollie doesn’t look bad by my eye.

31. uni says:

Breaks my heart seeing all those Hemsky passes come to naught =(.

I don’t think the Oilers played that badly. You’re not going to win games with this many kids no matter the sport, but they did do a much better job of getting chances after going down 1-0 to the Wild.

Lemaire’s teams usually play better than the Wild did tonight, so I guess you could argue this was a night the Oil could have won a rare victory against them.

But they don’t have enough NHL players, pure and simple.

33. Ribs says:

Well… That was…fun…

Stoll with a couple of uglies. Whatever it takes to make him look better on paper.

Penner… seems to be taking the Smyth role on the PP.. Ugh.
    If we wanted Ryan Smyth, why didn’t we just sign the bastard!?
    Penner had a whackload of chances to bang in some rebounds tonight and didn’t get anything out of it. It’s nice to see and not so nice to see at the same time. Hopefully he can figure it out. It doesn’t look like MacT has any more tricks in his PP bag.

- The set play after the time-out foiled by Penners inability to get in front of the tender quick enough.

Smid needs to play better than this. I know he can do it. We’ve all “saw him good” by now.

Grebs – I’m not sure Bergeron got pushed around so much. He seems to tumble a little too easily.

Tarnstrom getting some love. I think it makes him play better.

Rourke looked a little shakier this game, Grebs played a bit better for him.

Gilbert with his surprisingly regular smoothness. Sign him up quickly, please.

Horcoff – Who? I think he stole Harry Potters invisible cloak this game. Interesting strategy for his line. Penner and Nilsson deep, Horcoff high. Really High. I’m watching on the big screen and I still couldn’t seem him in frame for most of his shifts.

Nilsson – That penalty was horrible.

Cogliano – He brings the fire in his belly to every game. Awesome. At times it seems as if no one wants to mess with him because he just looks so damn serious.

Torres – Frosty again. Needs to either calm down with the puck or go on another shooting/hitting rampage.

Gagner seems to be on the “MacT’s Shawn Horcoff Path to Success” route, playing with Reasoner and Brodziak. Is this the best way to develop him? Hard to say. In the end he will be a more complete player. That can’t be entirely bad, I guess.

Roloson – Needed a big game and didn’t have it. Maybe he needs a few more nights of rest before his next start…

PM Bouchard with an assist.

Damn it.

34. Ribs says:

Nice feature on Marion Gaborik’s arcade games. I think.

No wait, that was weird.

Hah, that was kind of odd.

35. RiversQ says:

The play dies with Penner way too much.

Frankly, the team as a whole is just too soft on the puck.

Smid just doesn’t make the right reads defensively. He’s flat out bad on a 3-on-2. The fact that Staios seems to be fighting it, is only compounding the problem.

Gagner is wasted here. If he’s on the ice, the Oilers get outchanced. You can pretty much put that down in pen at this point. Good thing we’re burning a year on him.

36. Dennis says:

I missed the first period but I can see by the clock on the wall, it’s time to bid you one and all!!! That was from Wayne and Shuster, a time when you would watch that program every night, in the spring, either that or The Two Ronnies, on CBC back in those magical days when the Oilers made the playoffs.

Anyway, I can see that the 8-51-46 line got burnt for a goal by the Wild bottom sixers which brings me to a point: the Oilers bottom six is getting killed in terms of being outchanced. Sure, 10 wasn’t great tonight and neither was 27 and now we’ve got another two games in a row where Nilsson did just about nothing of any positive note and yes they got scored on, where was I again;) but they have also created chances in the past. Our bottom six is getting killed in this regard.

Not sure who it was but on the 13 penalty that lead to the 3-2 goal, one of the forwards had a chance to clear about 10 feet away from the blue and just got stripped and then it was a gong show. 13 finally panicked and hauled down a guy but this was this bunch creating a chance against out of absolutely nothing!!!

Of course, they had company too because 24 had puck possesion and momentum to boot before being stripped on the 2-2 goal. He was just way too soft on the puck there and I’m more apt to blame him than I am to blame Smid, who on that play was losing his equipment like Ulf Samuelsson that time he tried to defend against an ENG. You know, folks, people think that Smid’s going to be good just because he was dealt for Pronger. But, though I can see some good in him, like a play he made in the second defending down low vs Gaborik, he’s got about two jawdroppingly sutpid plays in him a game. He’s like a young Ulanov in that regard, though I’m about the only one with the guts, and/or longterm memory, to say it. In Smid’s defense, he’s got many fewer hundred games to his credit but the last time we had a D that played so much yet made errors so glaring, it was Igor.

Riv, we’re only burning a year of Gagner’s service once he plays 41 games. After 10 games, he gets a full year of pay, but hes gotta play 41 games to burn a year of time. At least that’s how I remember reading it. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

37. Bank Shot says:

He’s flat out bad on a 3-on-2.

That play has been a constant fixture against the Oilers since 05-06. It’s pretty clear that the Wild have their 3 on 2 play well rehearsed, and it isn’t easy to stop. They execute at top speed, use the whole ice, and always take slap shots.

In comparison the regular Oilers 3 on 2 usually ends up slowing down to a crawl as everyone tries to get in a shooting position and one too many passes results in a blown opportunity.

I think the Oilers could really benefit from having some more of that structure in their game.

38. pboy says:

How about last season when Jason Smith was good enough to send the other team in for a breakaway or a 2 on 1 at least a couple of times a game.

39. IceDragoon says:

Good day.

pboy,

I don’t have time to go into what a number #1 Dman looks like while partnered with Dmen who had little to no previous experience playing against the other teams’ top guns. Good grief, he hauled around Ladislav Smid for the last 16 games. Everyone makes mistakes, and against the best they can prove costly, but Jason Smith was a warrior.

OT:

Hockey’s Future is under new ownership.

L8r
    Louise

40. Ribs says:

Bryzgalov on waivers? Huh?

41. Bruce says:

Bryzgalov on waivers? Huh?

Cap room for S.Niedermayer?

42. Ribs says:

* Begin Darth Vader Music *

43. Bruce says:

Agreed with bank shot about the Wild’s efficacy at the 3-on-2, which always seems to wind up with a bomb on net as opposed to the Oilers’ standard result (a fumbled pass).

In watching the replays of Parrish’s 4-2 goal that put last night’s game away, I was struck by how poorly Roloson read the play; he took a short shuffle step as if he thought the guy in the middle was getting the pass, and by the time he took a second step to adjust over to Parrish on the left side the puck was already past him and bouncing out of the net. Parrish had half the net to shoot at, easy.

Particularly surprising is that Roloson would have seen tons of the Lemaire 3-on-2 in practice. But he’s just WAY off his game just now.

As for the ugly goal on which Smid lost his stick, that was compounded by Smid wandering out towards Brodziak for a stick exchange that didn’t happen. Result: Smid was without his stick and out of position. It wasn’t just the young guys who were at fault on that one either; the whole PK unit looked bad. Staios got beat on the end boards, Reasoner backed off the danger man coming out from behind the net, Smid and Brodziak had their wires crossed, and Roloson made no attempt to play the pass. Easy goal. Lead, gone. Momentum, gone.

44. Mr DeBakey says: